20 Indiana
21 Nevada
22 Washington
23 Iowa
24 North Carolina
25 Syracuse

Blimpie
09-29-2005, 10:56 AM
Many of you might look at these rankings and say, "#10...#11...what's the difference, really?"

Not this Cat. It is ON.

Puffy
09-29-2005, 11:36 AM
Hmmmmmm, national title, only to have a very generous number 24 the next year.

So my question which I am pondering is whether a national championship is worth it when you are going to suck the next year - and the answer is a resounding YES! Go heels!

I hate Duke.

IowaRed
09-29-2005, 11:51 AM
Say, I think I recognize that team at #16 :D :thumbup:

http://www.athlonsports.com/section_id/5/

1 Duke
2 Texas
3 Michigan State
4 Stanford
5 Oklahoma
6 Arizona
7 Villanova
8 UConn
9 Gonzaga
10 Louisville
11 Kentucky
12 Boston College
13 Memphis
14 NC State
15 UCLA
16 Northern Iowa
17 LSU
18 Illinois
19 Alabama
20 Indiana
21 Nevada
22 Washington
23 Iowa
24 North Carolina
25 Syracuse

Chip, it's a beautiful thing when UNI is the highest ranked team in the state :) I saw Vitale's preseason top 25 and he has Iowa #12 and UNI is nowhere to be found

macro
09-29-2005, 12:38 PM
Has anyone noticed that Kentucky starts every season ranked around 11th, 12th, or 13th, and then they seem to end every season ranked among the top four and with a #1 tournament seed? It's like no one ever expects that Tubby has an elite team, then he goes and proves them wrong, time and again.

For those who were UK fans under Hall and Sutton, this is very refreshing. In those days, UK started every season ranked at or near #1, with a bench-full of McDonalds All-Americans. They would then proceeded to finish the season with eight losses, a ranking in the 'teens, and an early exit from the tournament.

My biggest disappointment with the Tubby Smith era at UK is obviously the same as all UK fans: lack of tournament success. I don't really blame Smith for that, though. A single elimination tournament may be the most exciting way to finish the season, but it's not the best way to determine a champion.

macro
09-29-2005, 12:46 PM
Many of you might look at these rankings and say, "#10...#11...what's the difference, really?"

Not this Cat. It is ON.

Lousiville will never win anything until they get themselves a coach. :evil:

(Just kidding, Cards fans. Just kidding. Pitino loves our state, and anyone who loves Kentucky is okay by me.)

kyred14
09-29-2005, 03:43 PM
Say, I think I recognize that team at #16 :D :thumbup:

http://www.athlonsports.com/section_id/5/

1 Duke
2 Texas
3 Michigan State
4 Stanford
5 Oklahoma
6 Arizona
7 Villanova
8 UConn
9 Gonzaga
10 Louisville
11 Kentucky
12 Boston College
13 Memphis
14 NC State
15 UCLA
16 Northern Iowa
17 LSU
18 Illinois
19 Alabama
20 Indiana
21 Nevada
22 Washington
23 Iowa
24 North Carolina
25 Syracuse

WHAT?!?!? ;)

Seriously, how can you justify #1? Does Puke just get that annually no matter who they have?

Falls City Beer
09-29-2005, 06:33 PM
Cards. Woot. They'll be a top 5 team, no question.

Puffy
09-29-2005, 06:35 PM
I hate Duke.

rdiersin
09-29-2005, 06:43 PM
Michigan State in the top 5 in the Preseason again. Huh, sounds familiar. So what week will they be out of the top 25? I say week 4.

macro
09-29-2005, 08:47 PM
I'd say several of the teams on that list are they just because of the name they sew across the front of their jerseys. How many on that list are not the traditional "name" schools? Very few.

It's always funny to look back on the preseason rankings in March. Such will be the case six months from now.

Heath
09-29-2005, 08:58 PM
Didn't Ohio State win 20 games last year? Aren't they bringing most everyone back?

I forecast a little Buckeyes top 25 this year. Then there is the "Thad Five" for 2006-2007.

Cedric
09-30-2005, 12:41 AM
Kentucky wins because it's the SEC, the most overrated conference every year. Terrible conference.

kyred14
09-30-2005, 02:46 AM
Kentucky wins because it's the SEC, the most overrated conference every year. Terrible conference.

UK didn't win the SEC last year.

macro
09-30-2005, 09:51 AM
UK didn't win the SEC last year.

Well, they went 14-2 in league play, so I consider them the league champions, regardless of who won the "made for TV and dollars even though it has absolutely no bearing on NCAA tournament seedings" SEC Tournament.

Blimpie
09-30-2005, 12:40 PM
Kentucky wins because it's the SEC, the most overrated conference every year. Terrible conference.Okay...where do I begin? It's ridiculous for you to say that the SEC is the most overrated conference "every year." If so, then why are so many of it's recent players now playing in the NBA? If fact, the precise reason that the league is down is BECAUSE of the rash of early pro departures the conference has experienced during the latter years. Every conference goes through this from time to time (the ACC also had a similar exodus to the NBA about 3-4 years ago). While, it's true that the SEC has had some bad years recently--that is mostly magnified by their teams' poor performances as a conference when it matter the most: Three Weeks in March.

UK does not simply win games because it plays in what you consider to be a weak or overrated conference. UK plays an unGODly non-conference schedule each and every year. Just check out the power rankings by the end of the year--their strength of schedule is usually what keeps their ranking so high.

In addition to their normal SEC play during the last few years, UK has played home & home series with North Carolina, Michigan State and Notre Dame. Oh yeah, please don't forget their annual matchups with both Louisville and Indiana. This year? well, UK gets to go to Lawrence, Kansas for the rejuvenation of their series with the Jayhawks. But only after playing in a Thanksgiving Tournament that will also feature: Iowa, Texas and West Virginia. Hey, how'd those teams fair during last year's tourney? Oh yeah. Pretty solid as I recall.

Having said all of this, you would probably think I was being an apologist for a bad team. But guess what? UK is gonna win their 25-30 games again this year and be a top three seed in some region of the tourney. They are not going to do these things because they play in a "terrible conference." They are going to do it because 1) they get some of the best athletes in the country and 2) they have the single greatest game-situation coach in the land.

bucksfan
09-30-2005, 01:42 PM
Didn't Ohio State win 20 games last year? Aren't they bringing most everyone back?

I forecast a little Buckeyes top 25 this year. Then there is the "Thad Five" for 2006-2007.

Biggest issue with the Bucks is that they are woefully thin in the middle. If Dials goes down (fouls, injury), we are wiped out. Odd to say, but losing Marinchick is probably a bigger loss than Stockman/BFC (whose loss, IMO, given our talent level in the backcourt, is addition by subtraction). I like what we have for our team this year, and think we can be darn good, but we have very little margin for mishap up front.

Cedric
09-30-2005, 01:50 PM
The SEC was miserable last year. Kentucky was at the top of a miserable Florida and who else? LSU? It was a pretty bad conference last year.

Blimpie
09-30-2005, 02:19 PM
The SEC was miserable last year. Kentucky was at the top of a miserable Florida and who else? LSU? It was a pretty bad conference last year.Agreed. But you also should concede that there is a huge difference between saying "last year" versus saying "every year"

KYRedsFan
09-30-2005, 02:48 PM
Go Cards, reloaded this year, and next, and...

cumberlandreds
09-30-2005, 03:57 PM
The SEC was miserable last year. Kentucky was at the top of a miserable Florida and who else? LSU? It was a pretty bad conference last year.

If you thought last year was miserable,wait till you see this years version. Kentucky should win the SEC in a walkaway.

KronoRed
09-30-2005, 04:02 PM
How can Florida be miserable when they beat Kentucky 2 out of 3? :dunno:

As for this year..yeah Florida is going to be pretty bad, reloading year.

Ibleedblue
09-30-2005, 11:40 PM
How can Florida be miserable when they beat Kentucky 2 out of 3? :dunno:

As for this year..yeah Florida is going to be pretty bad, reloading year.Enjoy it while you can, we will get back to sweeping the Gators again this year.

guttle11
10-01-2005, 11:26 PM
WHAT?!?!? ;)

Seriously, how can you justify #1? Does Puke just get that annually no matter who they have?

I hate Duke, but they have JJ Redick and Sheldon Williams back for their 28 season. It seems like Redick has been there forever. I guess Dickie V has mentioned him enough to last 28 years. :bang:

Duke is the best team on paper, but they will crap out in the Elite 8, and we all will be happy.

KronoRed
10-01-2005, 11:29 PM
Enjoy it while you can, we will get back to sweeping the Gators again this year.
We'll see :)

letsgojunior
10-02-2005, 01:31 PM
I hate Duke.

Jerk :mooner: