PDA

View Full Version : This One Is For Married Men

GAC
09-30-2005, 12:05 PM
For those of us who have been married for some time, and realize we are past the stage where any other woman would want us (except the wife), what are some of the quirks and idiosyncrasies that you female better half does that drive you nuts!

(you women can start your own thread ;) )

Mine?

She's a neat freak!

This woman could have cleaned up Chernobyl in about a week and left no sign of radioactivity. :lol:

I've been married to her for almost 25 years -she doesn't clean - she sterilizes! This woman can be walking through a room and see a turd hanging off the back of an ant's butt (that's if ants were allowed in the house). She's got super-vision.

I've learned to live with it because I know there is no hope for me. But I'm concerned about the other inmates (kids). Every Saturday morning is cleaning day. The kids wish they had school. She has a routine for every one of them, and it's Stalag 13 with Colonel Klink walking through with the spectacle and white glove.

Me? I'm like Sgt Schultz sitting over in the corner saying "I know nothing, nothing!" ;)

Cinderella had it better with the evil sisters and step-Mom.

Dishes have to be put into the dishwasher a certain way.

Laundry has to be folded a specific way and placed properly in the drawers.

The towels and washclothes have to sorted and stored according to color.

It reminds me of boot camp!

We have the cleanest house in the country, and yet, she still calls it a mess.

You walk in the door and the brillance and smell of Pine Sol overcomes most visitors. :lol:

Her Mom and sisters are this way too, so I think it is hereditary.

OldRightHander
09-30-2005, 12:52 PM
Well, since my wife never reads this site, I feel safe to respond. I am married to a neat freak as well, but maybe not as extreme.

Lately we've been having the phone book dispute. There is a telephone in the living room and one on the desk by the computer, but Heaven forbid that we keep the phone book in the living room. I have tried putting it on the end table by the couch, on the bottom shelf of the coffee table, basically anywhere handy but not in plain view. That won't cut it. We have a finished basement and that is where everything belongs. I constantly will find the phone books on top of my filing cabinet next to the computer. Now if I'm in that room, I'm most likely using the computer and I can use it to look up numbers, so I have no need of a phone book there, but I would really love to keep one in the living room as well. Is that too much to ask?

We belong to the "Air Freshener of the Month" club. They all smell ok. Can we just settle on one kind instead of having to try a different one every other week? Or if we need to keep trying different ones, do you really need my opinion on them? My answer is always the same. "Yep, smells ok to me."

Maybe all women are that way about the laundry folding thing. It's not enough that the towels are folded and put away, they have to be folded in a certain way. Also, can anyone explain the purpose of decorative pillows on the bed? If I'm not putting my head on it when I sleep, what good is it? That seems like a waste of money to me to buy pillows you don't actually use.

If you are in the passenger seat, you're not driving the car. There is a reason the controls are only on one side of the car. If there is a car designed so the speedometer can't be seen from the passenger side, I want that car.

Is anyone else married to a spouse from a different country? There's nothing like hearing your wife talking to a friend on the phone and the only word you understand out of a whole stream of mumbo jumbo is your name. Then I ask her if she was talking about me and she just smiles. I'm going to have to learn Swahili but not let her know, so I can hear what she's saying about me when she doesn't think I can understand.

There are a few more, but I don't need to go on forever. I think that's what love is, when you find out the things that irritate you and you still stick with that person. In my wife's case, the good qualities outweigh the irritants, so I think I'll keep her.

westofyou
09-30-2005, 12:55 PM
Your wives do the laundry?

Blimpie
09-30-2005, 12:56 PM
No offense, GAC...but I may have to sleep on this one for a few days prior to responding. In order to save RedsZone bandwidth, I acknowledge that we should all attempt summarize things as succintly as possible. Therefore, I should have a rough draft back to you by Monday--at the latest.

OldRightHander
09-30-2005, 01:01 PM

That usually falls on me. Sometimes she will do some of it, but she doesn't like carrying the clothes up and down the steps.

bucksfan
09-30-2005, 01:30 PM

I'd do it if she would deem my groupings acceptable : whites + others. And now somehow our daughter has added another category to my wife's groupings that I further don't understand. ;)

Blimpie
09-30-2005, 01:43 PM
I'd do it if she would deem my groupings acceptable : whites + others. And now somehow our daughter has added another category to my wife's groupings that I further don't understand. ;)Funny, back when I was in college, there were three groups:

a) Dirty
b) Funky
c) Throw Away

GAC
09-30-2005, 02:01 PM

Actually - I was doing it as I started this thread. But when she comes home she'll review my work. :lol:

I also clean toilets, do dishes, and scrub floors. But again - they must pass muster. ;)

I'm also responsible for anything that goes on outside the house as far as landscaping, cars, repairs, trash, etc.

My wife calls it "HER house", and the inside is her domain.

She complains when she doesn't get help, and feels she is doing it all herself (which she isn't)... and complains when I do it, because she feels it's her job.

So basically I'm screwed!

Since the kids are all grown up enough and in HS, I made her go out and get a job. I think hanging around the house all day was driving her nuts... and us too!

GAC
09-30-2005, 02:01 PM
No offense, GAC...but I may have to sleep on this one for a few days prior to responding. In order to save RedsZone bandwidth, I acknowledge that we should all attempt summarize things as succintly as possible. Therefore, I should have a rough draft back to you by Monday--at the latest.

Does the wife have to approve it first? :p:

GAC
09-30-2005, 02:03 PM
A couple years back when chat was going real strong here on Redszone, my wife was standing behind me wanting to see what all was going on.

She walked away laughing and thought we are all nuts! Harmless, but nuts! :lol:

OldRightHander
09-30-2005, 02:20 PM
Harmless, but nuts! :lol:

I think that pretty much sums up redszone.

writerdan33
09-30-2005, 02:28 PM
GAC,

No wonder you drink... :beerme:

RedsFan75
09-30-2005, 02:33 PM
My wife is a control freak. 26 years and it's getting better.

If it's not in the budget it's not an option. "What happened to that $1.00 in your wallet". I bought a Soda. "WHAT, That's not in our budget, you better watch it"

"Why did you fold your underwear that way, I fold it this way. Let me teach you how to fold it properly"

Ah yes, but hey I love her and it's been a wonderful life with her even with the control issues. Her new job is taking lots of time and effort, so it's reduced the control issues a bit.

OldRightHander
09-30-2005, 02:53 PM
My wife is a control freak. 26 years and it's getting better.

If it's not in the budget it's not an option. "What happened to that $1.00 in your wallet". I bought a Soda. "WHAT, That's not in our budget, you better watch it"

"Why did you fold your underwear that way, I fold it this way. Let me teach you how to fold it properly"

Ah yes, but hey I love her and it's been a wonderful life with her even with the control issues. Her new job is taking lots of time and effort, so it's reduced the control issues a bit.

I think the words "wife" and "control freak" go hand in hand. Mine is that way with money. She has to account for every last penny. Have you ever noticed that money for another pair of shoes can always find its way into the "budget", but a ticket to a ball game is a different story. Luckily I have found a way around that little issue. We have decided on an amount for each of us to have each month that we can spend however we want and on the first day of the month we each take that much out of the account and dispose of it in whatever way we please. Even then, there are times when she will take her allotment and buy something for the house and then try to make me feel guilty for going to a couple games with mine.

Yachtzee
09-30-2005, 03:09 PM
My wife is a "pack-rat." I am a "chucker." Marty would call it a "titanic struggle." She actually has a trunk in our basement with every note she and her friends passed in high school.

OldRightHander
09-30-2005, 03:22 PM
My wife is a "pack-rat." I am a "chucker." Marty would call it a "titanic struggle." She actually has a trunk in our basement with every note she and her friends passed in high school.

We're the opposite. She will throw anything away that doesn't have a "practical" purpose. Even that depends on how you define "practical." She once threw away an unopened box of Wheaties with Johnny Bench on the cover. She told me one day, as innocently as can be, "I found some old box of cereal in the closet, so I pitched it. Why were you keeping an old box of cereal? There's no way it could still be good." Five minutes later I was on ebay paying $25.00 for another one, which arrived a week later and was promptly placed on the shelf next to the bobbleheads. I told her that every time something got "chucked" that I would simply spend whatever necessary to replace it. Now when she cleans the house, she just puts anything questionable (to her) in a box and asks me when I get home what can be thrown away.

KronoRed
09-30-2005, 03:55 PM
The Mrs has her systems, the check book, the laundry, cleaning, the mail!

I have mine..I think (of course) that mine are superior, we have entered a period of a cold war, when I do the laundry, check book anything else, I do it my way, she does the same.

I think she's plotting though :help:

GAC
09-30-2005, 04:24 PM
My wife has nothing to do with running the finances, balancing the checkbook, paying the bills, etc. I wish she would take it over. ;)

She just goes out and writes checks and uses the debit card and hope I have the money in the acount.

She does a darn god job at the grocery though. It's just all those stores in-between. :lol:

And she is an excellent remodeler. The woman knows how to interior decorate and coordinate. She seems to want to do it every few years. We've lived in this home for 7 years, and we have gutted and remodeled it twice. I hope this last time last awhile. :lol:

KronoRed
09-30-2005, 04:28 PM
She seems to want to do it every few years. We've lived in this home for 7 years, and we have gutted and remodeled it twice. I hope this last time last awhile. :lol:

Sorry to say that it's not, my sister in law is the same, the house will be remodeled every 2-4 years.

Have fun :D

dman
10-01-2005, 03:10 AM
She won't let me get a dirt bike. She feels that since it's not a family "toy", then I shouldn't be getting something that I will be the only one having fun with.

I should go ahead and get it anyway. It's easier to ask for forgiveness than it is to ask for permission. :evil:

RFS62
10-01-2005, 11:18 AM
My wife pays every bill and keeps track of all the money. I want it that way in case something ever happened to me, she'll know everything about running the finances of the household. She didn't want to do it at first, but I've been insistant about it. She keeps everything on Quicken and has gotten very good at it.

Plus, I'm gone a lot. She's also in charge of all interior decorations, except my office and the electronics.

She works in an antique shop, so stuff is always coming and going without my knowledge. She'll wait until I notice something new before she says anything, it's her little test. So I generally try to scan the place every so often to avoid the shame of not noticing something she's proud of.

Redsland
10-01-2005, 11:45 AM
Include hairdos and jewelry in that scan.

;)

Hoosier Red
10-01-2005, 12:05 PM
I've started putting a post it note in the car when my wife goes gets her hair cut.

Now if I get a hair cut and she doesn't notice, and I bring it up, she'll say, "Like I'd really say anything after all the times you don't notice mine?"

I think I drive her more nuts, but in driving her nuts and having her point it out, it drives me nuts.

By the way, if you ever want to get in a lot of trouble, when she brings up how you are driving her nuts, say "It's not a drive, it's a short putt."

redsfanfalcon
10-01-2005, 12:07 PM
Man, I feel your pain. My wife kicked me out of the house last night so she could do her favorite "hobby," clean. She didn't want me to get in the way. This happens sometimes every week, but for sure every other week. I offer to help, but it is never good enough. Ugh.

SunDeck
10-01-2005, 12:33 PM
Most of the "drive me nuts" things result from the differences in the way we were raised. My mom worked- the three boys had to house clean, wash dishes, do laundry, etc. And we were taught by a woman who insisted on standards that were kept in her workplace...a HOSPITAL. That, and my earliest professional experience was as a firefighter, where one learns that the best way to not be hated in the workplace is to clean up after oneself and to put stuff away in it's proper place.

My wife, on the other hand, was raised by a woman who did EVERYTHING. From what I can tell, my wife never actually loaded a washing machine, cooked for herself, or cleaned a toilet until she was in college. Thirteen years into our marriage, and her efforts are still evolving, to put it kindly.

Okay, now you know what kind of baggage we both bring into this. I'm a teutonic, orderly whack job and she's a former slob/slacker/artisan.
Here goes:

Leaving dirty dishes in the kitchen sink. She cooks, which is nice, but does she have to leave every utensil, bowl and pan in the sink so that I have to move it just to fill the dogs' water bowls?

Washing dishes, then not drying them. When she does get around to washing the stuff, she leaves everything in the sink to dry. Forever. Hello!? There is a place for those things, and they won't put themselves there.

Using tools and not putting them away where they belong. Nothing like starting a project with a half an hour of looking for the tape measure.

Using mixing bowls instead of buckets when she cleans. I bought a bunch of $1.59 buckets at Lowes and pleaded with her to stop this insanity. She acts like I'm a nutbag. I may never stop throwing up over this one.

Running the dishwasher when there are about ten dishes that would fit in it, but which are scattered around the dining room and kitchen.

Treating the minivan like a closet. Need one of the kids' jackets? Check the floor of the van.

Storing things on the kitchen countertops. I more than doubled the counterspace in our kitchen and it seems like I always have to move something when I want to cook.

Leaving nick nacks on the window frames. Toy frogs, ceramic elephants, glittery blobs of something that one of the kids made, if it's less than two inches wide, she places it on the top of the bottom window frame. Then, when I want to open the window, I have to move all of it or risk a downpour of chotskies, dried glue and hardened nuggets of play-dough.

Rubber Bands on the doorknobs. About half our doorknobs are caked with the crust of old, dried out rubber bands. Nice.

Leaving the laundry in baskets. "So close, so CLOSE.", is what I think whenever I see a laundry basket next to the bed, piled high with folded laundry. If I don't do it, the stuff will never make it to a dresser drawer or a closet.

Thinking that the things she "cleans" are actually clean. There are some rules to cleaning: Move stuff out of the way, Start with clean water, Wash and Rinse, etc. These commonly held principles seem still to allude my lovely wife. I wouldn't trade her for the world and I feel lucky every day to be married to her. But for reasons other than her domestic credentials.

GAC
10-01-2005, 03:29 PM
It's Saturday and the wife had to work. She sat all the kids down last night and gave them their marching orders for cleaning the house. She puts my 14 yr old daughter in charge and this girl takes it seriously. :lol:

I'm sitting in the den doing bills and I can hear her out there barking orders and yelling instructions at her two brothers (your Mother has trained you well in that line ;) ).

Yachtzee
10-01-2005, 06:02 PM
Here's another one. We don't have cars, we have drivable purses.

cincinnati chili
10-01-2005, 06:31 PM
I adore filth, and would be happy living in it. As long as it's my own filth. Sadly, my wife won't tolerate it, so I have to pick up every once and a while. Also, I hate bugs, and you have to clean in the city or you get bugs.

My wife does the laundry about 90% of the time, and I do the grocery shopping about 90% of the time. It's a division of labor we sort of settled on, since she can't drive.

We didn't have a dishwasher for most of my childhood, nor did my wife and I have one for the first couple years of marriage. It is a godsend, and don't know how we survived without it.

RFS62
10-01-2005, 06:37 PM
Include hairdos and jewelry in that scan.

;)

Oh yeah. I pity the fool who misses a hairdo.

GAC
10-02-2005, 07:09 AM
Also, I hate bugs, and you have to clean in the city or you get bugs.

We live in the country. I was raised a child of the suburbs. My wife was raised on a dairy farm. In the country you have alot of bugs...especially spiders. Especially when we have a woods bordering our property. I put a couple agents down around the outside foundation of the house that does a pretty good job of keeping the bugs out of the house.

But this year we have had a problem with ants. I think they are wearing minature gas masks, because they have been all over the place.So my iwfe has really gotten on the kids who like to leave plates of partially eaten food in their bedrooms, on their nightstands, and especially on the kitchen countertop.

I work 3rd shift. And when I came home from work the other morning, inwhich the wife and kids have already left for work/school, there were ants all over in the sink putting a hurtin' on the kid's bowls/breakfast cereal.

I have to say I quite enjoyed standing there with the sprayer washing them down the drain while the disposal was running. You could hear the screams for miles! :lol:

My wife does the laundry about 90% of the time, and I do the grocery shopping about 90% of the time.

Women seem to think that men can't do laundry the right way. WE are relied upon to be able to do about everything else when needed - but not the laundry. And I agree that there are some out there that have given the rest of us a bad rep.

I know perfectly well how to sort colors from whites, and not to wash delicates with my jeans. I also know that most of today's washers have a softener dispenser that will dispense it during the cycle at the appropriate time. :lol:

But they now how this aerosol stuff called Wrinkle Remover. Once you take the clothes out of the dryer and put it on a hanger, you spray this on the clothes and it magically removes wrinkles. So much for ironing huh? Of course she only uses it on her and the kid's clothes. She nows I'm a lost cause. I'll take a shirt out of the dryer and put it on - the wrinkles will come out oafter time. I'm married - I'm no longer out there trying to impress anyone. :lol:

We didn't have a dishwasher for most of my childhood, nor did my wife and I have one for the first couple years of marriage. It is a godsend, and don't know how we survived without it.

My wife still washes the dishes before putting them in the washer. What's up with that?

Johnny Vander m
10-03-2005, 04:46 AM
Wow, oh my, after reading all this, again wow. I am so GLAD I am single. Been divorced for 30 years after two wives. I am so fortunate. I do all my own house cleaning (when needed) do my own laundry and leave it in the dryer most of the time untill needed, do the dishes when I feel like it, do my own cooking and very good at it thank you. No *****ing from any one and believe it or not, the house is in good shape most of the time. Pay all the bills and money left I can do with it however I wish, wine, beer etc. I can have friends over anytime, including the Hooter girls without any one complaining, go to bed when I feel like it, get up whenever I wish.
Am I ever lonely, heck no and heck no again. Would not trade my lifestyle for anyones. Would I ever consider getting married again, NO WAY! I love my fredom and space.
Thanks for this thread GAC, it made me appreciate single life more than ever. Now I don't pretend that single life is all that great, you just have to be married before to appreciate it. BTW I was married to two fine women, still friends after all these years but married life just wasn't for me I guess.

But to you all that are husbands, stay married, just put your foot down when you need too. Life can be better if you do.

TeamCasey
10-03-2005, 07:11 AM
But to you all that are husbands, stay married, just put your foot down when you need too. Life can be better if you do.

:eek: Yeah, that'll work.

GAC
10-03-2005, 07:22 AM
Maybe that's why the guy's been divorced twice? Just kiddin' ther Wetz. :p:

Hey! I'm sure our wives put up with quite alot with us husbands too. I know mine does.

You know why husbands usually die before their wives?

Because they want to.

GoReds
10-03-2005, 12:11 PM
Been married nearly six years now and I think it was to Sundeck's wife's sister.

Biggest pet peeve is that she just absolutely abuses the trash can. Even if it's full, she'll continue to top it off and just wait for me to eventually come along and empty it.

She doesn't clean up after she makes something to eat. She doesn't cook much and shows no interest in learning how to improve.

The bedroom closet also doubles as the bedroom floor - or vice versa.

She'll start 10 projects and not finish one. If CSI ever came into our house, they would die of sensory overload.

My father-in-law and I just recently finished two rooms (both 16x12) in the basement. She was given a room to do projects; I took the other room to build a media room. Now that the DLP projector went up in the media room, I came downstairs yesterday to find that she setup the sewing machine in it!

But, having said that, I wouldn't trade her for the world. She may be messy, unorganized and such, but has a good heart.

'Course, it's only been six years.

Roy Tucker
10-03-2005, 12:52 PM
My wife and I have been married for 20 years and raised 3 kids to teenage years. Most (if not all) of the idiosynchracies we might have have long been worked out. You can't get to 20 years without doing that.

My wife is a gem, I love her with all my heart, and I'd be a bum without her.

About the only complaint I have is that:

A.) My wife is a perfectionist.
B.) She cannot rest unless everything is perfect.
C.) However, things never are perfect.
D.) Consequently, my wife never rests on her own volition.

For a long time, she expected me to be the same and couldn't understand how I could sit on the patio and read a book when the house was a mess.

I said "If I don't get to sit down for a while, I'll go crazy. Whatever it is that needs done, it can wait. I won't do you much good in the loony bin".

I usually pitch in when stuff needs to be done and have gotten good at conscripting and managing the kids to get stuff done. However, every so often I .... have .... had ..... enough .... and I go sit down.

My wife is also good at seeing "Roy has shut down look" on my face and leaving sleeping dogs lie.

flyer85
10-03-2005, 01:04 PM
The only real complaint I have is that my wife is pack rat. I really enjoy telling her "I'll clean up while your gone" as she leaves to go out of town. She will came back and ask what I threw away. Of course I refuse to answer and tell her to let me know if she finds anything missing. I am a mean person.

Actually she is saint, she has put up with me for 16 years.

KronoRed
10-03-2005, 02:56 PM
:eek: Yeah, that'll work.
It does. ;)

gonelong
10-03-2005, 04:33 PM
If my wife could safely maneuver a vehical in and out of the garage she would be absolutely perfect. In the grand scheme of things a new grill and a few rear view mirrors have been a small price to pay over the years.

She knows how and when to work. She knows how and when to play . She loves the Reds and the Buckeyes and will watch the Bengals if prompted. She is a great cook. She is smart, funny, and has a warm heart. She runs 20 miles a week, reads, volunteers, and genuinely cares about people.

She is equally comfortable with a shot, a beer, a glass of wine, or a glass of champagne. She will camp and fish with me one weekend and head to the art gallery the next. :luvu:

9 years and counting ... lucky me :)

GL

OldRightHander
10-03-2005, 04:46 PM
You know, after reading this thread, contemplating about some of the little ways my wife irritates me, and having a laugh about the similarities we share with so many other couples, I can honestly that I wouldn't trade her for anything. It's like that scene in Rocky where he is talking about Adrian and he says, "I got gaps, she's got gaps. We fill each other's gaps." Well, it's something like that. The quote might not be exact, but what it says is so true. I wish she could be more of a sports fan, but we do fill each other's gaps.

GAC
10-03-2005, 06:31 PM
You know, after reading this thread, contemplating about some of the little ways my wife irritates me, and having a laugh about the similarities we share with so many other couples, I can honestly that I wouldn't trade her for anything.

Reminds me of that episode of Married With Children where Al drops Peg off at a beauty spa and refers to it as a 10,000 mile check-up.... and then asks the guy at the counter if he can have a loaner! :lol: :lol:

LoganBuck
10-04-2005, 12:55 AM
The Ultimate Pet Peeve in my house. Putting things in the wrong place in the fridge. We put milk, and juice on the top shelf. We have two shelves that hardly anything sits on, yet anytime we have leftovers, she puts them in front of the milk and juice. So I must move the leftovers, before I get milk or juice. At least once a week for the last 4+ years.

The damn curling iron, has got to go. It sits on our vanity all the time, and often get knocked onto the floor. What I don't get is that she has a curling iron she uses all the time, and she has straight hair. Why the curling iron?

SunDeck
10-04-2005, 10:36 AM
Been married nearly six years now and I think it was to Sundeck's wife's sister.

Biggest pet peeve is that she just absolutely abuses the trash can. Even if it's full, she'll continue to top it off and just wait for me to eventually come along and empty it.

Bingo. These chicks were separated at birth.

bomarl1969
10-11-2005, 09:19 AM
Here are my biggest complaints about my wife...

1. That damn toilet seat, why should ir be left down? That is a double standard cause women say that they have to put it down when they go in, but damnit men have to lift it up! Unitl I leak sitting, that seat is staying up!

2. Music-She thinks she is so smart when it comes to music. But she listens to crap like Kayne West, John Mayer, J Lo, Brittany Spears, Jessica and Ashley Simpson, Matchbox 20, etc. I hate when I am in the car with her and its her turn to listen to the radio...gawd I just want to bang my head off the steering wheel.

3. TV-All she watches is MTV or VH1 and not the good shows on VH1, she'll watch that crap about celebrity kids and stuff.

4. Her complaints about me playing softball, PS2, deer hunting, 4-wheeling, watching TV, my friends coming over...all this when "I could be spending time with her"

I'm done

GAC
10-11-2005, 09:54 AM
How many of your wife's watch/love Lifetime MovieNetwork (LMN)? :lol:

OldRightHander
10-11-2005, 11:00 AM
How many of your wife's watch/love Lifetime MovieNetwork (LMN)? :lol:

Lifetime and HGTV here. The TV can be the cause of much marital strife. We have digital cable, and still do since we came to a little agreement after she wanted to have it disconnected, but we only have the digital box on one of the TVs. The TV in the other room has the basic channels, 70 some of them or so, and that includes all the channels she likes to watch, mostly the above mentioned ones. So I will be watching History International or an English Premier League soccer match in the living room, both on channels that are only on the digital box, and she will plop down on the couch, grab the remote, and switch it to HGTV for some home remodeling show. Those shows are a ploy of Satan against men everywhere. They are designed to make us look bad because we aren't as handy with tools as the men on those shows who can darn near build an entire house in one day and have time left over to add all those decorative touches that make women go gaga.

I have never figured out the double standard regarding talking during a TV program either. I can be watching a really interesting documentary on the History Channel, especially the International version that I really enjoy, and that is always the time that something needs to be discussed. She will just walk into the room and start talking to me, and then get a little out of kilter if I don't respond promptly. So the other day I thought I would test the system a bit. She started watching one of those shows on Court TV about how they caught some silly bugger who thought he had gotten away with some dastardly crime and she was really into it, regular on the edge of her seat kind of stuff. I had waited for this moment and I launched my assault as planned. I chose that moment to bring up some things that needed to be discussed, but that I could easily have waited until later to bring up, and I just started talking to her the way she does to me when I'm watching something I like. I even waited until the commercial was over to start the conversation. She got a little miffed and said, "Can that wait until this is over. It's really interesting." I said, "Ok, but maybe that could apply both ways." I haven't had the problems since then. Last night when I turned on the baseball game, she just walked to the other room and started watching HGTV or some such thing and I asked her if she wanted to sit in the living room and chat. She mentioned that I was watching the TV so she didn't want to interrupt it, and I just had to say, "But McCarver is announcing this game. I don't have a problem with talking over him." Yes, progress has been made, but there's still some room to go. I think she's almost to the point of being able to tell the difference between a History Channel documentary and a baseball game and why it is important to hear what is said during one but not necessarily during the other. Marriage is so much fun.

LoganBuck
10-11-2005, 03:30 PM
ORH, turning the table!

That is so awesome. I don't even go near her when Desperate Housewives is on, but she is more then ok, with talking at me during Lost or Invasion. Shows that require attention to detail.

Red Leader
10-11-2005, 05:28 PM

yea, how do you get that to happen?

gonelong
10-11-2005, 06:46 PM
Lifetime and HGTV here. So
She will just walk into the room and start talking to me, and then get a little out of kilter if I don't respond promptly.

You, my friend need a DVR. Yesterday, don't wait, go get one.

Wife walks into the room, starts talking, I pause the TV show and look back sweetly at my gal and converse ... and then return to my regularly scheduled program when she decides she is done with me. Fast forward through any commercials and get caught back up to real-time. Better yet, record all your shows ahead of time and watch them completely at your leisure.

All my girlfriends did this too. I think they just want to feel more important than the History Channel, and really, can you blame them? I'd like to think I am more important than the 6 O'Clock news.

Get the DVR (I like TiVo) and I promise you'll thank me later.

GL

SunDeck
10-11-2005, 10:53 PM
You, my friend need a DVR. Yesterday, don't wait, go get one.

Wife walks into the room, starts talking, I pause the TV show and look back sweetly at my gal and converse ... and then return to my regularly scheduled program when she decides she is done with me. Fast forward through any commercials and get caught back up to real-time. Better yet, record all your shows ahead of time and watch them completely at your leisure.

All my girlfriends did this too. I think they just want to feel more important than the History Channel, and really, can you blame them? I'd like to think I am more important than the 6 O'Clock news.

Get the DVR (I like TiVo) and I promise you'll thank me later.

GL

GL,
I'm calling you right now and handing the phone to my wife.

gonelong
10-12-2005, 01:30 AM
GL,
I'm calling you right now and handing the phone to my wife.

Some times a man has to go it alone. This is one of those times.

redsfanfalcon
10-12-2005, 08:01 AM
We just found out we are expecting our first, as I am about to graduate college. (I went back to school later in life to become pursue my teaching degree.) She had promised me Reds season tickets if I ever went back to school and graduated (that's the key, graduation!). I graduate in 2 months, and last night I am teasing her about how I can't wait for Reds season tickets. The "tale" about women being moody when they are pregnant is true. I was actually kidding around about the tickets, when she ripped me a new one and said, "We are about to bring a child into this world, and all you're concerned with are season tickets? What is your problem?" It's going to be a long 7 months (remaining). :rolleyes:

Roy Tucker
10-12-2005, 08:22 AM
It's going to be a long 7 months (remaining). :rolleyes:
It won't end at 7 months. Trust me on this redsfanfalcon.

GAC
10-12-2005, 09:08 AM
We just found out we are expecting our first, as I am about to graduate college. (I went back to school later in life to become pursue my teaching degree.) She had promised me Reds season tickets if I ever went back to school and graduated (that's the key, graduation!). I graduate in 2 months, and last night I am teasing her about how I can't wait for Reds season tickets. The "tale" about women being moody when they are pregnant is true. I was actually kidding around about the tickets, when she ripped me a new one and said, "We are about to bring a child into this world, and all you're concerned with are season tickets? What is your problem?" It's going to be a long 7 months (remaining). :rolleyes:

season tickets = diapers, formula, baby carrier, wipes, stroller.

And they are moody even when not pregnant.;)

When we had our last (Samuel in '96) it was during a blizzard. She went into a lonnng labor starting that morning. We had a private birthing room. Needless to say, it made for a long day.

The problem was that that night was the NCAA Championship Bowl game between Florida and Nebraska. And my inconsiderate wife decided to deliver right in the middle of the game.

The Dr and I were both trying to watch the game in the room (and also be supportive :lol: ), while my wife was laying there trying to push this kid out. Our first two kids came pretty easily, but Samuel was not cooperating one bit. She was screaming at nurses, doctors, and just about anyone who was in range.

Me? I was the smart one - I stayed clear. After all, I alreaqdy did my part.

The next day she said that if she could have gotten her hands on either me or that Dr she would have strangled us. And I believe she would have done it too! :lol:

Anyway - Samuel ended up being the first child born in Logan County in 1996. So we got that going for us.

Blimpie
10-12-2005, 10:01 AM
season tickets = diapers, formula, baby carrier, wipes, stroller.

And they are moody even when not pregnant.;)

When we had our last (Samuel in '96) it was during a blizzard. She went into a lonnng labor starting that morning. We had a private birthing room. Needless to say, it made for a long day.

The problem was that that night was the NCAA Championship Bowl game between Florida and Nebraska. And my inconsiderate wife decided to deliver right in the middle of the game.

The Dr and I were both trying to watch the game in the room (and also be supportive :lol: ), while my wife was laying there trying to push this kid out. Our first two kids came pretty easily, but Samuel was not cooperating one bit. She was screaming at nurses, doctors, and just about anyone who was in range.

Me? I was the smart one - I stayed clear. After all, I alreaqdy did my part.

The next day she said that if she could have gotten her hands on either me or that Dr she would have strangled us. And I believe she would have done it too! :lol:

Anyway - Samuel ended up being the first child born in Logan County in 1996. So we got that going for us.GAC: Speaking as a Gator fan who actually attended this game in Tempe, I believe that I would have rather been in the labor hall with your wife.

KronoRed
10-12-2005, 03:35 PM
GAC: Speaking as a Gator fan who actually attended this game in Tempe, I believe that I would have rather been in the labor hall with your wife.
Agreed :help:

redsfanfalcon
10-13-2005, 08:03 AM
Thanks for the heads up. I should have talked to you all ahead of time! :bang:

GAC
10-13-2005, 09:01 AM
GAC: Speaking as a Gator fan who actually attended this game in Tempe, I believe that I would have rather been in the labor hall with your wife.

Yes -the afterbirth was prettier then that game. :lol: