PDA

View Full Version : Doctor sued for sex treatment for back pain

savafan
10-06-2005, 11:21 AM
http://reuters.myway.com/article/20051004/2005-10-04T140907Z_01_DIT450890_RTRIDST_0_ODD-DOCTOR-SEX-DC.html

SEATTLE (Reuters) - An Oregon woman whose doctor convinced her that he could cure her lower back pain by having sex with her is suing him and his medical clinic for $4 million, according to legal documents obtained on Monday.

The doctor, Randall Smith, who was 50 at the time, was stripped of his license and sent to jail for 60 days last year for charging the state's Oregon Health Plan $5,000 for his 45-minute "treatments" involving the woman.

"Dr. Smith's medical treatment included intercourse in which he told plaintiff was needed to help alleviate plaintiff's lower back and lower extremity pain," the former patient said in the lawsuit.

The lawsuit, which charges battery, negligence and intentional and negligent infliction of emotional distress, was filed on Friday in Multnomah County court.

"We never comment on lawsuits," said a spokesman for the Adventist Medical Group clinic in Gresham, Oregon where Smith worked. Smith could not be located for comment.

Though he pleaded guilty to submitting false health care claims, a felony, Smith maintained the sex with the 47-year-old woman was consensual.

OldRightHander
10-06-2005, 11:27 AM
The doctor, Randall Smith, who was 50 at the time, was stripped of his license and sent to jail for 60 days last year for charging the state's Oregon Health Plan $5,000 for his 45-minute "treatments" involving the woman.

Great choice of words there, all things considered.

westofyou
10-06-2005, 11:32 AM
Oregon... where doctors screw ya but ya can't wear a shirt that says it.

http://www.krnv.com/Global/story.asp?S=3939788&nav=8faO

Blimpie
10-06-2005, 11:40 AM
I saw this one yesterday and almost posted it...It's hard to believe that people are actually that gullible...

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/1005051dr1.html

Sounds like the only reason she suspected anything was because she was mentioning her treatment to her Dentist--who informed her that no such treatment existed. A less honest Dentist could have really prospered:

"You know, massaging your nipples really cuts down on cavities"

It all reminds me of: "Nah, he isn't really dead. I shot him with "ich lugue" bullets"

MrCinatit
10-06-2005, 12:19 PM
ya know, when she saw Dr. Smith's degree was from the Larry Flynt Medical College of Gittinsome, her suspicions should have arisin.

OldRightHander
10-06-2005, 12:27 PM
ya know, when she saw Dr. Smith's degree was from the Larry Flynt Medical College of Gittinsome, her suspicions should have arisin.

Unfortunately, it wasn't her suspicions that rose.

Heath
10-06-2005, 12:38 PM
Oregon... where doctors screw ya but ya can't wear a shirt that says it.

http://www.krnv.com/Global/story.asp?S=3939788&nav=8faO
'

Here's that story....

RENO
Oregon woman kicked off flight in Reno over offensive shirt
Oct 5, 2005, 10:37 AM EDT Email to a Friend Printer Friendly Version

Oregon woman kicked off flight in Reno over offensive shirt

A Portland woman's flight home was stopped short in Reno, all because the message on the T-shirt she was wearing.

Lorrie Heasley claims it's a freedom of speech privilege, but airline officials say the message brings safety concerns.

Heasley, "There are bigger problems in the country, I can't believe people can be so petty."

Heasley boarded her flight Tuesday morning in Los Angeles, headed for Portland, Oregon with a stopover in Reno. But when Southwest Airlines employees asked her to cover her shirt, her stop over became a stop off her flight.

"I was told that basically that I had to cover my shirt, or I was told if I cover the shirt I can basically stay on the plane."

So she covered the shirt, but during a nap while passengers were boarding in Reno the cover came off. And Southwest employees insisted, change the shirt, or change flights. "I didn't feel that I should have to change my shirt, because we live in the United States, and it's freedom of speech and it was based on the move "The Fockers", and I didn't think it should have offended anyone."

But it did.

The shirt had pictures of members of the Bush Administration, and a phrase based on the movie "Meet the Fockers," but with one crucial vowel changed.

It was enough to cause complaints from other passengers and it's a problem the airline has had to deal with before.

Beth Harbin, Southwest Airlines, "We do get it occasionally. What someone is wearing, what someone is reading, what someone might be saying and it's very much a judgment call. But when other customers become concerned we do have to become involved in that and see what we can do to make everyone as comfortable as we can."

And while Southwest may have kept the peace on it's afternoon hop to Portland, a woman, not afraid to use her freedom of speech will now be using her freedom of choice.

"I most likely wont be flying Southwest Airlines again after this."

Southwest Airlines told Heasley she could take a different flight home if she changed her shirt. She refused and opted to rent a car and drive home.

NJReds
10-06-2005, 12:42 PM
I think it was the profanity, and not the message, that was the issue with the shirt. I doubt any airline would've acted much differently. She sounds like one classy gal, though.

Chip R
10-06-2005, 01:09 PM
I don't suppose you folks have read the sticky at the top of the page, have you?

http://lastperson.suncircle.org/index.php/topic,166.0.html

HotCorner
10-06-2005, 02:46 PM
Sounds like the only reason she suspected anything was because she was mentioning her treatment to her Dentist--who informed her that no such treatment existed. A less honest Dentist could have really prospered:

"You know, massaging your nipples really cuts down on cavities"

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

RFS62
10-06-2005, 11:17 PM
A 45 minute treatment though, that should have been the tip off. A legitimate doctor would have never been in the room that long.

dman
10-06-2005, 11:44 PM
A 45 minute treatment though, that should have been the tip off. A legitimate doctor would have never been in the room that long.
My wife would love it if my "treatments" lasted 45 minutes. It's gettin' late. Maybe I'll go see if she wants to play doctor. :beerme:

BTW Blimpie thanks for the cavity post. Maybe I'll check to see if my wife needs her "cavities" taken care of too.:devil:

Whoa!!!!!!!!!!!! I had to edit that to get the "s" in she. Don't want anybody to get the wrong ideas!!!!!!

RFS62
10-07-2005, 12:58 AM
My wife would love it if my "treatments" lasted 45 minutes. It's gettin' late. Maybe I'll go see if he wants to play doctor. :beerme:

I don't know.... hardly seems like enough time for a thorough treatment. Wouldn't want to neglect any diagnostic techniques.

:evil:

OldRightHander
10-07-2005, 10:24 AM

You know how it is. When you get older, what you used to do all night now takes all night to do.

NJReds
10-07-2005, 10:49 AM
I don't suppose you folks have read the sticky at the top of the page, have you?

http://lastperson.suncircle.org/index.php/topic,166.0.html

Sorry...I was thinking of it as a legal/obscenity issue...not a political issue.

GAC
10-07-2005, 01:55 PM
I'm glad she finally figured out something was amiss AFTER SEVEN MONTHS OF TREATMENT, and that the Dr had developed a back problem. :lol:

REDREAD
10-07-2005, 04:55 PM
I heard this story on the radio and just assumed the woman was playing dumb so she could later sue the doctor..

smith288
10-07-2005, 05:11 PM
Brilliant move by the dr. Im hoping the patient isnt some 70 yr old geriatric. THen I would also question the Dr's sanity

GAC
10-08-2005, 05:19 PM
You know how it is. When you get older, what you used to do all night now takes all night to do.

I always liked Richard Pryor's description of men and sex.... "7 minutes of serious *******, and then I need 8 hrs of sleep" :lol:

RBA
10-08-2005, 06:08 PM
Sometimes people choose to go against their better judgment. This woman wanted to believe her back pain will go away and having sex was an added bonus. I'm thinking the sex was more important to her and the "back pain relief" was the added bonus to her. In summary, I don't think anyone is this gullible.

Larkin Fan
10-08-2005, 06:53 PM
The court papers document the fact that this "physician" had been treating the patient for a lengthy amount of time for various psychological disorders, in addition to the chronic back pain. Sounds to me like this is a case of a so-called doctor who used his status as a trusted physician to prey on an emotionally vulnerable and unstable patient. And that makes him one of the worst kinds of predators.

cincinnati chili
10-10-2005, 09:34 AM
Sometimes people choose to go against their better judgment. This woman wanted to believe her back pain will go away and having sex was an added bonus. I'm thinking the sex was more important to her and the "back pain relief" was the added bonus to her. In summary, I don't think anyone is this gullible.

I disagree. It's possible SHE isn't this gullible (and this could be a money grab), but some people are. Certain people are raised to trust police officers, clergy, and doctors under all circumstances, and never learn to think critically.

This isn't the first time something like this has happened. In many jurisdictions, this has been considered rape, since the consent