PDA

View Full Version : New Garth Brooks single headed for the airwaves

savafan
10-09-2005, 12:21 PM
http://www.livedaily.com/news/New_Garth_Brooks_single_headed_for_the_airwaves-8901.html?t=98

by liveDaily Staff
A new Garth Brooks single titled "Good Ride Cowboy," a tribute to the late country artist Chris LeDoux, is headed for country radio stations this week.

The single will be the first release for Brooks under a recently announced agreement with Wal-Mart. The pact gives the mega-retailer--along with its Sam's Club warehouse stores and the walmart.com website--the exclusive right to sell Brooks' music commercially.

A new Brooks compilation album, reportedly containing some previously unreleased material, is said to be headed for Wal-Mart stores late this fall, but official details haven't been announced.

Brooks announced in 2000 that he would retire from the music industry at the end of 2001, but said that he might consider getting back into the business after his youngest daughter graduates from high school in 2015. He issued what he said would be his final new studio album, "Scarecrow," in 2001.

Brooks has performed at several charity events since his retirement announcement, but hasn't toured.

macro
10-09-2005, 11:34 PM
I was a big Garth fan from his debut in 1989 until about 1995, but I think he should stay retired. His best days are behind him. He should've went out on top.

LoganBuck
10-10-2005, 02:24 PM
Maybe some time away will give him and his songwriting some perspective.

Scarecrow stunk, and quite frankly so did Sevens. How in touch with your country roots are you when you are hosting SNL as Chris Gaines, and swinging from a Helicopter? Garth was a very talented singer and songwriter, hopefully some time away reinvigorated his talent. Because he hasn't done anything of note since Fresh Horses.

macro
10-10-2005, 04:00 PM
I agree, Logan. The Garth Brooks of 1989 gave us classic ballads about life, relationships, and things that mattered. While "Friends In Low Places" was a change in tempo from those more serious songs, I think its success started an unfortunate trend toward his writing party songs full of nonsense. It may have put fannies in the seats on his tours for a season, but it hurt his legacy as a songwriter and an artist.

If Garth can start country music back toward where it was in the late 80s and early 90s, I wish him the best of luck. If he's simply going to blend into the VH1/MTV country music of today, then no thanks. If I want rock, I'll listen to Crossfade and Green Day.

OldRightHander
10-10-2005, 04:09 PM
If he's simply going to blend into the VH1/MTV country music of today, then no thanks. If I want rock, I'll listen to Crossfade and Green Day.

I'm with you there. I'm not a huge country fan, but if I want to listen to it, I don't want to confuse it with rock. I'm somewhat fond of a lot of what Chet Atkins did, but I can't get into any of the new so called "country" music you hear today.

Johnny Footstool
10-10-2005, 04:46 PM
He was a marketing major at Oklahoma State.

dman
10-10-2005, 09:16 PM
Never really cared much for Garth in the first place. But, he's back now trying to compete against artists like Brad Paisley etc...., he's going to have a tough time, especially since he decided to market his new c.d. exclusively through WalMart et.al.

smith288
10-11-2005, 09:22 AM
Garth ditched his longtime love of his life to finalize his cheating ways with Trisha Yearwood then went out and made up Chris Gaines...

The guy left many scratching their heads and going "huh?"

I was disappointed in the guy because he was so talented only to become a walking billboard of what damage success can do to families and career choices.

macro
10-11-2005, 05:43 PM
Garth ditched his longtime love of his life to finalize his cheating ways with Trisha Yearwood then went out and made up Chris Gaines...

The guy left many scratching their heads and going "huh?"

I was disappointed in the guy because he was so talented only to become a walking billboard of what damage success can do to families and career choices.

I was thinking exactly that, too, smith. I just didn't say anything because I figured someone would tell me that his personal life is his business, and has nothing to do with talent, and...well, you know.