PDA

View Full Version : Bengals/Jaguars game thread - primetime edition

paintmered
10-09-2005, 08:39 PM
You know the drill.

WHO-DEY!

paintmered
10-09-2005, 08:40 PM
T.J. Houshmanzadeh and Madieu Williams both are inactive for today's game due to injuries.

Patrick Bateman
10-09-2005, 08:41 PM
T.J. Houshmanzadeh and Madieu Williams both are inactive for today's game due to injuries.

Braham also wont play unless an emergency so we will see Guicac instead.

Jaycint
10-09-2005, 09:01 PM
I can't believe Marvin is batting Rudi behind Carson. Doesn't he even bother to look at the stats? :)

KronoRed
10-09-2005, 09:25 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/Kronosb/NFL_Bengals.gifhttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/Kronosb/NFL_Jaguars.gif

Joseph
10-09-2005, 09:50 PM
7-0 bad cats.

Heath
10-09-2005, 10:05 PM
7-0 bad cats.

I thought the only good cat, is a dead cat?????

;)

Joseph
10-09-2005, 10:12 PM
It's not real pretty so far tonight.

westofyou
10-09-2005, 10:14 PM
It's not real pretty so far tonight.

Those pajamas the bengals are wearing don't help at all.:eek:

wheels
10-09-2005, 10:20 PM
Anytime you get punt blocked, and shank two, your football team was not ready to play.

This reminds me of Atlanta a few years back.

Joseph
10-09-2005, 10:37 PM
13-0 Jag-u-ars :(

Falls City Beer
10-09-2005, 10:40 PM
13-0 Jag-u-ars :(

Blocked punt and a 51-yard field goal. Sometimes you just gotta tip your cap and regroup for the next game.

Ain't the Bungles night.

Joseph
10-09-2005, 10:47 PM
13-7 now, Chad in the corner of the endzone for the TD, then performs CPR on the ball.

WMR
10-09-2005, 10:49 PM
Blocked punt and a 51-yard field goal. Sometimes you just gotta tip your cap and regroup for the next game.

Ain't the Bungles night.

Way, way, wayyyyyy too early to start conceding this game.

TD BENGALS

Great catch and throw by Carson to Chad Johnson.

DOES ANYONE ELSE WISH THAT THESE ESPN BUFFOONS WOULD SHUT THE HECK UP AND JUST CALL THE DAMN GAME???

They sounded positively disappointed when Chad caught that TD. They've been ripping him the whole game.

JUST SHUT UP and call the game

WMR
10-09-2005, 10:51 PM
Man these guys want the Bengals to lose this game so bad; it's actually sort of funny

WMR
10-09-2005, 10:58 PM
Man I wish the Bengals would send more than the front four... we need to start sending some blitzes. Everybody else gets so many shots on Leftwich, we need to start planting him

WMR
10-09-2005, 11:02 PM
Those pajamas the bengals are wearing don't help at all.:eek:

Am I the only one who likes the Bengals uniforms?

I swear I think they look cool... maybe I'm just being a homer, but I've never understood why people don't like them in their current iteration.. I like the helmet, the black pants w/ the stripe, the whole package.

WMR
10-09-2005, 11:05 PM
OMG What a KICK by Larson!!!!! HOLY MOLY

Joseph
10-09-2005, 11:06 PM
No Wily Mo, I like the uni's too, you aren't alone.

WMR
10-09-2005, 11:07 PM
75 yards!!! Alright: Let's hear some first-half analysis guys. I say Bengals have to consider themselves lucky to be within 6 points right now... They can certainly win this game... I'd like to see some more pressure put on Leftwich; I think offense has begun to figure out what they need to do against this defense to be successful.

WMR
10-09-2005, 11:09 PM
No Wily Mo, I like the uni's too, you aren't alone.

LOL! Good to hear, Joe! I think so much "Bengal-Perception" has been negative for so many years, the unis sort of got lumped in there with everything else; although certainly they aren't everyone's cup of tea.

Joseph
10-09-2005, 11:18 PM
Absolutely. I can understand maybe not liking the bold orange ones, the all orange ones that is, but these are fine. I like the all black look too.

Joseph
10-09-2005, 11:26 PM
20-7 Jags

Marched down the field with almost no effort to open the 2nd half.

macro
10-09-2005, 11:27 PM
I just now got to my pc, so that's why I didn't say this earlier...

It has been obvious from the first series that this was not the Bengals night. The TD that cut it to 13-7 did nothing to change my mind. The TD the Jags just scored to make it 20-7 will have TVs clicking over the baseball game nationwide.

This one is over, folks. Bengals are 4-1. Now just gotta hope for 6-1 heading into the Stiller game. I'd be happy with that.

Joseph
10-09-2005, 11:29 PM
No doubt if anyone had asked if I would have been happy with 4-1 to open the season I would have answered yes without hesitation.

If they [we] are 6-1 going to the Steelers game then I won't complain at all.

WMR
10-09-2005, 11:31 PM
Yep. Can't complain w/ that.

Did anybody see that Run After the Catch by Kelley Washington? Looks like he wants to keep playing.

Dang, Carson just left Chad out to dry with that throw; Chad got WHACKED

Joseph
10-09-2005, 11:35 PM
20-10

WMR
10-09-2005, 11:38 PM
FUMBLEEEEEE Fumbloya, Fumboluski!!!!

wheels
10-09-2005, 11:38 PM
Oooh.

COuld be a game changing turnover there.

A TD is an absolute MUST right now. Road games are won that way.

Joseph
10-09-2005, 11:39 PM
Fumble on the KO, Bengals recover at the 21.

Joseph
10-09-2005, 11:42 PM
And it looks like they'll get no points after all.....

WMR
10-09-2005, 11:44 PM
LOL: After Bengals complete pass to 30-yd line to make it a 4th and 19

Joe Theisman: "At least you can try a field goal... If you want to."

What the flip else would you do?!?!?! LMAO

WMR
48-yd field goal by Golden Graham is good.

Bengals lucky to come away with any points at all from the turnover.

Joseph
I stand corrected....20-13

wheels
10-09-2005, 11:45 PM
Boy are they ever hanging on by a thread tonight.

A good quarter's worth of play can bring sweet redemption though.

Let us pray.

Joseph
10-09-2005, 11:47 PM
Agreed. Defense really needs to step up and get a stop.

WMR
10-09-2005, 11:51 PM
I wouldn't say that Leftwich has outplayed Palmer tonight by any stretch of the imagination.

WMR
10-09-2005, 11:53 PM
LOL, Jimmy Smith drops a pass and Joe Theisman says how this is going to make him even more dedicated; Chad drops a pass and he gets called every name in the book

Joseph
10-09-2005, 11:53 PM
Bengals hold after a bad first down play.

wheels
10-09-2005, 11:54 PM
That drop was somewhat fortuitous.

It's time to make him pay for it.

Seven points will be the only acceptable outcome.

I'll take three though.

WMR
10-09-2005, 11:55 PM
LOL: Saw this on a Bengal-Forum:

Having to watch our Bengals on ESPN Sunday Night does have it's downfall, such as listening to the 3 stooges. Here is a poll question but there were too many things to look for throughout the Broadcasts, such as will Thiesman learn Chad's real name for once unstead of an entire broadcast calling him Charles Johnson.

Will Mike Patrick be able to talk without Thiesman and Maguire trying to get the last word in....after every single play?

How many times will we be told that "so and So is the best player at his position"

I mean listening to these bozo's you'd think you were watching the pro bowl or something.

Anyway here are just a couple of things to get you all thinking about what we are in store for.

To even make the game more interesting here is a drinking game for those who want to play along.

Here's how to play:

• Set yourself up with a minimum of six beers for the three-hour game. If the Ravens are playing (and they are just about every other week), grab eight.
• Take the assigned number of swigs — about the equivalent of one ounce, or 12 swigs per bottle/can. Do NOT drink when Paul Maguire is speaking. You might spit it up.
• If any of the "chug" criteria is met, you must finish your beer, even if you have to take a leak really badly.

DRINK WHEN MIKE PATRICK...
1 - Raves over the offensive line on a three-yard run
1 - Says a player is one of the best in the NFL when you can name 10 others at his position who are better
1 - Says the home crowd is making it too loud to hear, even though your neighbors can hear him through your TV
1 - Says "What a day in the NFL!"
1 - Says "Are you kidding me?!"
1 - Describes a play as "unbelievable," "amazing" or "incredible." Important: the play itself does not have to be remotely unbelievable, amazing or incredible
1 - Refers to a player as "one of the all-time greats"
1 - Calls a player one of the most underrated in the league
2 - Makes you lower the volume
2 - Says "Let's go down to Suzy Kolber. Suzy."
Chug - Says "Let's go down on Suzy Kolber. Suzy."
Chug - Breaks your ear drum

DRINK WHEN PAUL MAGUIRE...
1 - Prefaces any analysis with "I'm a tell ya what."
1 - Says "I'm gonna tell ya something" right before actually telling you something
1 - Says the word "watch" more than twice on any instant replay, as if you were doing anything but watching
1 - Says something you didn't already know
1 - Admits to being scared of Ray Lewis
1 - Says he talked to a player/coach earlier in the week
2 - Calls Theismann "Joseph"
Chug - Calls Theismann "an idiot"

DRINK WHEN JOE THEISMANN...
1 - Utters the phrase "like a Bill Parcells."
1 - Mentions his own playing career
1 - Points out a flaw in a quarterback's mechanics, whether or not the replay backs it up
1 - Says "What impresses me most about..."
1 - Mentions Notre Dame in any capacity
1 - Says he talked to a player/coach earlier in the week
1 - Says "If I'm the [insert team here]..."
2 - Offers a team advice "if they wanna win this game," as if they're on the fence about whether or not they want to win
2 - Refers to his punting career (one punt for one yard in 1985)
2 - Predicts a penalty that goes the other way
Chug - Refers, again, to any historical genius as "Norman Einstein."

wheels
10-10-2005, 12:01 AM
Something needs to be done about the mental mistakes. This team is seemingly cursed by them.

Now they've just lost an opportunity to blow them away with a huge completion because of a false start.

C'mon Marv.

Joseph
10-10-2005, 12:01 AM
Great play Carson. Depending on the spot, could be huge.

Joseph
10-10-2005, 12:03 AM
I can't believe they can't execute on that play.

wheels
10-10-2005, 12:05 AM
This team doesn't deserve to win tonight.

Even if they do, they certainly haven't played like it.

WMR
10-10-2005, 12:09 AM
This team doesn't deserve to win tonight.

Even if they do, they certainly haven't played like it.

Man the Bengals are playing like the Raiders tonight... so many dumb dumb mistakes

Joseph
10-10-2005, 12:10 AM
Let's hope that penalty prevents them from scoring since our 'D' can't.

wheels
10-10-2005, 12:14 AM
I'll tell you this:

The blank stare from Chad Johnson tells the story.

Numb.

Chip R
10-10-2005, 12:15 AM
That was rather an obvious call on 4th and a half yard. A better call would have been to line up double tight in the I and have Carson either do a sneak on a silent count or the first sound - preferably the latter since I doubt you can trust that offensive line to go on the snap if they are doing a silent count. That way it catches the defense off stride. Another good play might have been a naked bootleg after faking it to Rudi.

Joseph
10-10-2005, 12:16 AM
Game?

WMR
10-10-2005, 12:17 AM
That was rather an obvious call on 4th and a half yard. A better call would have been to line up double tight in the I and have Carson either do a sneak on a silent count or the first sound - preferably the latter since I doubt you can trust that offensive line to go on the snap if they are doing a silent count. That way it catches the defense off stride. Another good play might have been a naked bootleg after faking it to Rudi.

Great calls, Chip. Esp. the QB sneak. I think Carson picks up that first down easily w/ a QB sneak.

wheels
10-10-2005, 12:17 AM
When Josh Scobee hits a 51 yarder and a 53 yarder, you might as well call it a night.

Gainesville Red
10-10-2005, 12:18 AM
So the Jag's O-line remembers how to block on the night when my fantasy defense is in town? That's not fair.

wheels
10-10-2005, 12:19 AM
Sneak shmeek.

If you can't make a half of a yard with Rudi Johnson, something's wrong.

Mano e mano, and they couldn't make it happen.

Let's not get lost in the periphary.

WMR
10-10-2005, 12:20 AM
I dunno, w/ those big DTs of theirs, that run seemed awfully predictable and easily anticipated

WMR
10-10-2005, 12:21 AM
But you're right, there are certainly bigger issues at stake for the Bengals probable loss than that play...

maybe the Bengals need to lose this game...

Cedric
10-10-2005, 12:21 AM
They can't go 16-0. Jacksonville off a loss, this was gonna happen I knew it. This week we are gonna hear everyday how the Bengals are somehow overrated because they can't go 16-0. They are exposed, blah blah blah. It's a road night game against one of the preseason super bowl sleepers.

TeamSelig
10-10-2005, 12:25 AM
Whats up with the bias announcers? I didn't realize the Jaguars were the best team in the NFL....

Caveat Emperor
10-10-2005, 12:27 AM
They can't go 16-0. Jacksonville off a loss, this was gonna happen I knew it. This week we are gonna hear everyday how the Bengals are somehow overrated because they can't go 16-0. They are exposed, blah blah blah. It's a road night game against one of the preseason super bowl sleepers.

That's true...just be happy you lost to Jacksonville and not the 4th string QB of a team that can't get out of it's own way, like a certain football team I love and root for.

Incidentally...is there a quarterback in the NFL with less "touch" than Byron Leftwhich? It's like he's trying to light up a radar gun somewhere on every throw that he makes.

WMR
10-10-2005, 12:30 AM
td BENGALS!!!!

Joseph
10-10-2005, 12:31 AM
TD Bengals.

23-20

Yachtzee
10-10-2005, 12:32 AM
Is there any doubt that the Bengals D really misses Madieu Williams? It just seems like having Madieu back there makes this D much more formidable.

TeamSelig
10-10-2005, 12:33 AM
Very important to stop them here. At least hold them to a FG. Another JAX TD gives us the loss IMO.

wheels
10-10-2005, 12:34 AM
Is there any doubt that the Bengals D really misses Madieu Williams? It just seems like having Madieu back there makes this D much more formidable.

Yup.

Injuries have played a part.

They simply must stop this Jaguars team right now.

...And a big completion to Jimmy Smith.

Not a good night for the guys in the funny helmets.

MWM
10-10-2005, 12:35 AM
Good lord, these refs are a little flag happy tonight aren't they. It's been evenly called, but geez, enough is enough!

Joseph
10-10-2005, 12:38 AM
2:42, 3 point game. Bengals with the ball.

wheels
10-10-2005, 12:38 AM
By the grace of the football gods...The Bengals have chance to tie this game.

Given the way they sliced through 'em on the last drive....A TD isn't out of the question.

Time for Chad to wake up.

Joseph
10-10-2005, 12:40 AM
Please, please, please, please, please......

WMR
10-10-2005, 12:41 AM
Yeah Yachtzee I definitely agree w/ u about Madieu. How big does his injury make the pick-up of Ohalete? W/o Ohalete, I guess they'd have to start Anthony Mitchell at SS while moving Kaesviharn to FS? That'd be an even bigger drop-off.

wheels
10-10-2005, 12:41 AM
Okay.

A good gain to accrue another first down, now eight yards to make it second and two at the two minute warning.

This is officially a good ballgame.

Thing is, I wonder if Chad Johnson hasn't given up.

Joseph
10-10-2005, 12:43 AM
There's the game.

Joseph
10-10-2005, 12:44 AM
Terrible way to end one. :(

traderumor
10-10-2005, 01:01 AM
Good lord, these refs are a little flag happy tonight aren't they. It's been evenly called, but geez, enough is enough!You know, this is getting commonplace and I think the NFL has really went nuts on rules and almost made contact illegal. A defensive lineman can't take down an offensive lineman by grabbing him or its defensive holding? What is this, powder puff rules?

traderumor
10-10-2005, 01:04 AM
To the offense, TJ showed how important he is to Chad's success tonight. And what happened to Rudi? Not that Perry didn't have a big game, but he barely played in the second half.

wheels
10-10-2005, 01:06 AM
4-1 ain't so bad.

Thing is, I worry about the penalties, and I worry that this team can't stop the run.

They go 6-5 the rest of the way, and we'll see them in the playoffs, but this team is a long way from being a legit title contender.

There's nothing wrong with being on the rise, but a 4-0 start should mean more than just that.

I'll take 4-1, but I haven't been upset about a Bengals loss in a long time.

That should mean something.

Right?

wheels
10-10-2005, 01:08 AM
To the offense, TJ showed how important he is to Chad's success tonight. And what happened to Rudi? Not that Perry didn't have a big game, but he barely played in the second half.

Rudi's been playing with a frayed miniscus, that will eventually wear hole in his kneecap, unless he has surgery now and misses six weeks.

I guess he's decided that playing at less than 100% is more important.

Hats off to him for his toughness, but he's got to make decision about this sooner than later.

It's the same thing Willie Anderson had last year, btw.

macro
10-10-2005, 01:31 AM
Okay, here's a question that has been asked many times, but it applies to this game:

Would you rather they had went ahead and lost by ten points or that they got as close as they did and blew it? I think I could live with the ten-point loss easier than having a chance to win it and then fumbling it away.

WVRedsFan
10-10-2005, 01:34 AM
Okay, here's a question that has been asked many times, but it applies to this game:

Would you rather they had went ahead and lost by ten points or that they got as close as they did and blew it? I think I could live with the ten-point loss easier than having a chance to win it and then fumbling it away.

It doesn't matter as long as they beat Pittsburgh. I mean it!

:thumbup:

KronoRed
10-10-2005, 01:34 AM
Whats up with the bias announcers? I didn't realize the Jaguars were the best team in the NFL....

See, I found this completely opposite, the announcers could not shut up about how Palmer and Johnson are the next Aikman/Irvin, Manning/Harrison.

..and the "list" :bang:

However, I was pleased with the game.

wheels
10-10-2005, 02:19 AM

Doesn't matter to me.

A wins a win and loss is a loss.

That guy went through two blockers to get to Carson, and he coughed it up.

Things like that happen all the time.

Dating back to last season, they've won six of seven football games. They went into Jacksonville and got knocked off because they made mistakes long before the Palmer fumble.

The tone of the game was set on special teams, and the defenses inability to stop Fred Taylor.

I can't blame the offense, talent wise, but that false start by Kevin Walter, and a few other penalties doomed them from the outset.

WMR
10-10-2005, 08:30 AM
Maybe this will provide proper motivation to clean up all the stupid penalties???

If they aren't squared away, this will not be the last winnable game that is lost.

I know I know, there are definitely other problems to be addressed, but some of those penalties tonight were killer. Previous weeks, against subpar opponents, they were overcome more easily. Not tonight.

But I agree w/ u Macro. I had sort of resigned myself to the loss; the game was out of reach. Having it thrust back into reach and then so cruelly yanked away makes it a much harder "pill to swallow," so to speak.

Ahhhh well, whatcha gonna do

Yachtzee
10-10-2005, 09:45 AM

I would say that the initial pain is greater, but after having slept on it, I don't feel so bad. It's more like a bandaid getting ripped off. Personally I think I would rather they get close and put themselves in a position to win. Some games you'll fumble it away, and some you'll score the winning TD.

Okay, so they lost. But I like how the "new" Bengals fought hard into the last minute of the game. Under previous regimes, this would have been one of those games where a number of players "quit" at halftime.

macro
10-10-2005, 10:30 AM
The tone of the game was set on special teams, and the defenses inability to stop Fred Taylor.

I can't blame the offense, talent wise, but that false start by Kevin Walter, and a few other penalties doomed them from the outset.

Yep. How big was that penalty on the first punt of the game? If they stick them at the 20, they probably don't score that first TD. I think that one play set the tone for the entire game, and that tone didn't really ever change, despite the Bengals getting to within three points.

Boss-Hog
10-10-2005, 10:54 AM
Yep. How big was that penalty on the first punt of the game? If they stick them at the 20, they probably don't score that first TD. I think that one play set the tone for the entire game, and that tone didn't really ever change, despite the Bengals getting to within three points.
Agreed - that was a completely boneheaded play by Reggie Myles.

traderumor
10-10-2005, 11:05 AM
One really bright spot was the job that the rookie center did. I fully expected at least one botched snap tonight and some ugly plays where he just got overwhelmed, but you heard very little about him, which for a center that means he was doing his job.

Come back next week and beat the Titans as they should and last night will be a blip on the screen. Need to get TJ back though--and more snaps for Chris Perry , he was really impressive last night. Maybe that surgery isn't such a bad idea for Rudi.

wheels
10-10-2005, 11:07 AM
The young man did a hell of a job.

I as expecting at least one botched snap, or flinch for a false start, or some kinda blown assignment, but I saw none of that.

Johnny Footstool
10-10-2005, 11:15 AM
I thought the Bengals showed a lot of maturity in overcoming the first-quarter jitters and putting together a solid game. You could tell that the Jags knocked them out of their comfort zone with their physical play in the first quarter, but they regained their composure and put together some solid drives on offense.

The defense was bad last night. Like KC Chiefs-level bad. Fred Taylor burned them with his cut move all night. And the secondary couldn't tackle or cover. The Jags receivers were pretty much wide open all night. If not for some dropped balls on *easy* catches, the Bengals would have been completely embarassed.

traderumor
10-10-2005, 11:35 AM
I thought the Bengals showed a lot of maturity in overcoming the first-quarter jitters and putting together a solid game. You could tell that the Jags knocked them out of their comfort zone with their physical play in the first quarter, but they regained their composure and put together some solid drives on offense.

The defense was bad last night. Like KC Chiefs-level bad. Fred Taylor burned them with his cut move all night. And the secondary couldn't tackle or cover. The Jags receivers were pretty much wide open all night. If not for some dropped balls on *easy* catches, the Bengals would have been completely embarassed.Yea, I don't understand the lack of an adjustment for the cutbacks. Well, until it was too late, it looked they finally figured it out come about the fourth quarter. I don't know if I'd call it KC bad, they did only allow two TDs and had some big stops to keep us in the game. One thing I almost forget is if that rookie doesn't make a 53 yarder, the game was tied after the Henry TD.

As much as the Jags D was hyped, I think if we get the ball more, we put up 30 on them. But we couldn't get off the field soon enough often enough.

wheels
10-10-2005, 11:42 AM
That kickoff return to open the second half was another ball breaker.

Put 'em right back into primo field position.

WMR
10-10-2005, 12:56 PM
One of the bright spots from last night's game was Chris Henry's late catch.

That was sweeeet. That kid's going to be something special.

Johnny Footstool
10-10-2005, 01:06 PM
A healthy TJ would have put up 100 yards receiving. The Jax secondary was intent on stopping Johnson and would have left TJ in one-on-one.

traderumor
10-10-2005, 02:04 PM

That was sweeeet. That kid's going to be something special.Yea, he has made some really tough catches look easy. Washington is expendable and will probably be gone, which is fine with me. Never have seen anything special out of him in the two previous years. But three wides of TJ, Chad and Henry is certainly a nice trio.

WVRedsFan
10-10-2005, 02:20 PM

That was sweeeet. That kid's going to be something special.

Chris Henry is a talented guy, but he has his downside. Like the fit he threw at Rutgers last year when he got flagged for a celebration violation. He pushed away his teammates, swung at the coach, spit on an assistant (or so I'm told), flipped off the crowd, and yelled obsenities into the TV microphone.

He showed up late time after time for practice and was suspended twice by the coaching staff or breaking team rules.

Having said all of that, he's a keeper with as much raw talent as a receiver as Randy Moss. Maybe he was handled wrong? I wish him the best. I like what I see this year from Chris, thokugh.

traderumor
10-10-2005, 02:26 PM
Chris Henry is a talented guy, but he has his downside. Like the fit he threw at Rutgers last year when he got flagged for a celebration violation. He pushed away his teammates, swung at the coach, spit on an assistant (or so I'm told), flipped off the crowd, and yelled obsenities into the TV microphone.

He showed up late time after time for practice and was suspended twice by the coaching staff or breaking team rules.

Having said all of that, he's a keeper with as much raw talent as a receiver as Randy Moss. Maybe he was handled wrong? I wish him the best. I like what I see this year from Chris, thokugh.
He hasn't made a peep so far this year. Perhaps rookiedom has been somewhat humbling.

WVRedsFan
10-10-2005, 02:31 PM
Hope so. He can and will be a real asset to the Bengals if he keeps his head on straight. An yes, being a rookie can humble you.

He also has Quincy Wilson there to help him do that. He and Q were teammates at West Virginia and Q's absence last year (some say) was a big factor in all of this.

CTA513
10-10-2005, 02:47 PM
This lose sucks, but Im glad it came early in the season so that way they can see the penalties & run defense are costing the Bengals.

The defense could have done a better job tackling... I mean come on, you expect someone to go down by throwing a shoulder at them? They did that all night, instead of wrapping up the guy.

ochre
10-10-2005, 03:32 PM
Yea, I don't understand the lack of an adjustment for the cutbacks. Well, until it was too late, it looked they finally figured it out come about the fourth quarter.
You know what else happened in the 4th quarter? The refs started calling the holds on the back side support for those cutback. It was happening all game.

Roy Tucker
10-10-2005, 03:38 PM
I thought it was ironic that, seemingly all game, Theisman was talking Leftwich's throwing motion and how prone he would be to someone swatting the ball out of his hands and fumbling. And the way Palmer holds the ball would make less prone to fumbling.

As a general comment from a not-a-Bengal fan was that the ESPN guys were pretty lousy all night, anti-Johnson, and made a lot of down-distance comments that were flat-out wrong.

ochre
10-10-2005, 04:06 PM
I thought it was ironic that, seemingly all game, Theisman was talking Leftwich's throwing motion and how prone he would be to someone swatting the ball out of his hands and fumbling. And the way Palmer holds the ball would make less prone to fumbling.

As a general comment from a not-a-Bengal fan was that the ESPN guys were pretty lousy all night, anti-Johnson, and made a lot of down-distance comments that were flat-out wrong.
Palmer didn't lose the ball from what I could see, until the guy on his backside swung through and knocked it away from down around his hip. I was surprised the first guy didn't knock it out. Dude must have strong (big) hands? So in a way Theisman was right. When Palmer put the ball where Leftwich did he lost it :)

CTA513
10-10-2005, 05:06 PM

Palmer got the ball knocked out when he pulled the ball down around his thigh, not something that he usually does.

traderumor
10-10-2005, 05:18 PM
You know what else happened in the 4th quarter? The refs started calling the holds on the back side support for those cutback. It was happening all game.the sky cam must have missed them ;) They miss those but they saw the defensive holding on lineman takedowns :rolleyes:

I had to laugh at the big Bubba that got two personal fouls for late hits. Hopefully he gets a rules clarification lesson in practice today. :laugh:

wheels
10-10-2005, 06:27 PM
Funny how it's much more palatable to talk Bengals football on a Reds message board than it is on a certain other Bengals message board.

Try saying something like "This team isn't quite ready for the Super Bowl yet" and see what happens.

I had to explain to someone what the word pragmatic meant, and he still wouldn't concede that it was in fact what I was doing.

WMR
10-10-2005, 07:43 PM
Wow.... hadn't heard that stuff about Chris Henry.

Is that why he went in the 4th round? Would he have otherwise been projected/have gone earlier? I wonder what Round his "Talent" slots at? A first-rounder? It certainly seems that way from what I've seen out of him so far.

And yeah, those 3 stooges for ESPN really really really stink. They were so anti-Chad Johnson it wasn't even funny. Did anyone hear Chad on 700 w/ Furball this past friday? He might be the most personable NFL player I've ever come across. LOL, him on w/ Furball made me realize how annoying Furball is. I thought Furball was actually rude towards him a couple times as well and Chad never even acknowledged it... the guy talks smack and stuff, but he is humble too.

He said, "If someone has a problem with me or with something I do, I want to know about that, so I can address it, and hopefully make that person a Chad-Johnson Fan." Chad is sooo unlike T.O. and those dummies last night were out of line comparing him to T.O.

ochre
10-10-2005, 08:04 PM
Funny how it's much more palatable to talk Bengals football on a Reds message board than it is on a certain other Bengals message board.

Try saying something like "This team isn't quite ready for the Super Bowl yet" and see what happens.

I had to explain to someone what the word pragmatic meant, and he still wouldn't concede that it was in fact what I was doing.
The defense just isn't there. The turn overs the first few games covered up a lot of glaring deficiencies (notably, run defense).

CTA513
10-10-2005, 09:00 PM
The defense just isn't there. The turn overs the first few games covered up a lot of glaring deficiencies (notably, run defense).

They are doing a pretty good job against he pass, but the run defense is horrible. I hope they go out and find some people who can stop the run better than what they have been doing. Heck they might have someone on the practice squad that could make a difference. I just hope they do something about it, because if they dont then teams like the Steelers and Ravens will run all over them.

It also doesnt help that Madieu Williams is out with a should injury. Theres a noticable difference when hes not in the game.

traderumor
10-10-2005, 09:26 PM
The D-line has been this team's achilles heel since the Marvin era began, and they really haven't done much to improve it. There have been plenty of big lineman available early, but Marvin always passes on them. One blessing in disguise is that the Sapp deal fell through cuz the only space he is taking up these days is in the salary cap.

traderumor
10-10-2005, 09:31 PM

Football message boards that I've frequented are a disaster. Extreme emotionalism, very little analysis, a whole bunch of smack talking between fans of teams getting ready to play each other. I tried once to start a game plan thread on bengalsinsider.com and really got only a few intelligent responses. Last time I did that.

Yachtzee
10-10-2005, 09:57 PM
It does seem like the Bengals discussion here is based on reason, as opposed to emotion. Maybe it's the influence of the good people of Redszone who insist on backing arguments up with fact that seems to have weeded out the trolls to a certain degree. I'm just waiting the first post referencing footballoutsiders.com.

GAC
10-10-2005, 10:07 PM

I agree, but the penalities are realy hurting this team. Plus, they are one of the top teams in the NFL on redszone appearances; but one of the worst in scoring TD's once they get in there.

This team is much improved, but this game was the "test". I picked it as being their first loss.

But the combined won-loss record of the Bengal's opposition going into this game was 4-12. Yes, these are teams that the Bengals should beat. That shows improvement IMO. And they can afford losses to good teams like the Jaguars. But they have to show everyone else that they can beat these other teams also at some point in the season. In the AFC, they have to show they can beat teams like the Steelers and Indy. That's the key.

When I look at the Bengal's schedule, I see the possiblilty of 3 more losses (at Pitt, Indy, and maybe at KC). That's a solid improvement. But to reach that next level, they have to be able to show they can beat those "upper tier" teams.

wheels
10-11-2005, 01:45 AM
It does seem like the Bengals discussion here is based on reason, as opposed to emotion. Maybe it's the influence of the good people of Redszone who insist on backing arguments up with fact that seems to have weeded out the trolls to a certain degree. I'm just waiting the first post referencing footballoutsiders.com.

I've mentioned footballoutsiders.com a couple of times.

Very interesting stuff on there. Will Carroll even has a column sometimes.

I'm still trying to get grasp on some of that stuff, though, and it seems like they are too. Fledglings, they are.