PDA

View Full Version : Chad Johnson

GAC
10-11-2005, 10:24 AM
Ok. I acknowledge that this kid is very, very talented and has been instrumental in the Bengal's success. I don't know if I'd put him the category of the "elite" yet, but he is very good.

But I'm sorry - I can't stand him simply because of his antics, his big mouth, his irrational emotional volatility, and "me me" attitude when he feels he's not getting the ball enough.

I watched him earlier in the year having an outburst with their offensive coordinator on the sidelines and waving off his teammates and headcoach Lewis when they tried to get him to settle down. He would have nothing to do with it.

Then there was the heated exchange between him and Palmer on the sidelines during the Jag game which was about him questioning Palmer's lack of effort to get the ball to him. I know others may say that wasn't what it was about - but that is exactly what it was about!

Some say he is just passionate about winning and really hates to lose. That may be true, but I'm beginning to think that is simply people making excuses for him. And that is still no reason for his antics and outbursts IMO.

This kid has a selfish, "me" attitude, just like his cousin Keyshawn, Owens, and Moss.

Johnson was hurt Sunday night, he said. He wanted to perform and to win in front of a national TV audience. He was as emotional as he had been since the Dallas game last Nov. 7. He wanted to impress his cousin, Cowboys receiver Keyshawn Johnson, and when he had just eight catches for 74 yards, Chad Johnson grew frustrated.

"Last night, I felt like I wish I wasn't Chad Johnson," he said. "I wish I wasn't good. I swear to God.

Bengal fans have a talented young receiver down there. But I wonder how long it's going to be before his antics (just like some other elite receivers) grows old and becomes a disruption?

It's not about him - It's about the team.

smith288
10-11-2005, 10:31 AM
He has some growing up to do and i have heard he takes advice from Marvin pretty well.

Alot of his emotional outbursts, i think, stem from trying to back up his trash talk and feel humiliated when he doesnt perform at the level he expects. Which I think has an easy solution... quite talking trash and just go out and play.

I like the guy when he is in a good mood as he is funny, creative and a joy to watch perform but his tantrums when he isnt getting "his" is as ugly as TO or Moss when things arent going his way.

He continues to talk down to Carson, Carson can just as easily stop passing to him in favor of TJ Houshmanzhadah (who is quite capable and much less flamboutant - refuses to dance after a touchdown).

He should be nice to Carson, Chad needs him in order to have the stats he wants so badly. Carl Pickens anyone?

traderumor
10-11-2005, 10:38 AM
I don't see the Pickens comparison. He wasn't likeable at any time ;)

Boss-Hog
10-11-2005, 10:43 AM
With all due respect to GAC and smith, whose opinions I definitely value, I couldn't think of more off base comparisons than Chad Johnson to Randy Moss and Carl Pickens.

Danny Serafini
10-11-2005, 10:55 AM
With all due respect to GAC and smith, whose opinions I definitely value, I couldn't think of more off base comparisons than Chad Johnson to Randy Moss and Carl Pickens.

Exactly. Say what you want about his mouth, but the man doesn't loaf. The guy sleeps at the stadium a couple days a week because he's there so late watching films and so early the next morning working out. And do these quotes sound like Carl Pickens:

Johnson wanted to hear nothing of his leaping catch in the end zone, which came off a hellacious pass from Palmer getting run out of the pocket by Hayward.

"It doesn't matter," he said. "The loss takes away the joy."

"I'm not satisfied with 4-1. The Bengals of old might have been OK keeping it close. We're not supposed to be close anymore."

Remember when Pickens threw a hissyfit after the last game of a season because he finished with 99 catches, and during the last drive of the game when the Bengals were trying to pull out a win they didn't focus on getting him his 100th? With Johnson it's not about being a me-first stat monster, it's about winning.

redsfan30
10-11-2005, 11:05 AM
The arguement that Chad and Carson don't get along is baseless.

Last season, they drove together to Indianapolis for a Monday Night game to watch Marvin Harrison and Peyton Manning work together. They wanted to become like them. Chad said it was because they wanted to see the things that you can't see on tv.....how they interact on the sidelines, thier body motioning towards each other...things like that. The trip was Chad's idea.

That doesn't sound like a "me-me" attitude. That sounds like a player who wants to get better by learning from the best.

He has said publicly that the main reason for the list is to ensure that he gives all that he is made of every single game of the year. It's an inspiration to be the best that he can be. He doesn't want a single team to get the best of him, because that could potentially put his team in line for a loss.

He has said publically that he respects every defense that he goes up against. That's not a "me-me" attitude.

Yes, he's very confident, maybe a bit cocky. But to say that Chad Johnson is all about Chad Johnson in Chad Johnson's mind is not true in my opinion.

Joseph
10-11-2005, 11:06 AM

I'm going to go with Boss on this one, well all the points. I respect the opinions of Smith and GAC, good people and all....but this time its my opinion you're both wrong. Chad's a good guy who wants to win, not pad stats. Yeah he loves the attention, but he does it in the setting of team, not 'Chad.'

Now if you said he could be as good as Randy Moss, or he's the best reciever the Bengals have had since Pickens [talent wise] then I'd be ok mentioning him with those names.

CTA513
10-11-2005, 01:57 PM
Bengals win = what chad does is ok.
Bengals lose = Chad should just shut up and grow up.

Johnny Footstool
10-11-2005, 02:25 PM
Chad Johnson uses that trash-talk as motivation. He says outrageous things, then feels he has to perform at his highest level to back them up.

I don't have a problem with that.

An unfortunate side effect is that it also motivates the defense to shut him down. However, by focusing on CJ, the opposition allows TJ and RJ a little more room to operate, which benefits the team as a whole.

traderumor
10-11-2005, 02:54 PM
I'm more bothered by Eric Ghiaciuc's name and hairdo than Chad's woofing. How do you pronounce a name spelled like that for all of you NHL fans? And here is the mug shot, and no that's not Ryan Freel after his post OD party :)

http://www.bengals.com/team/img/players/ghiaciuc_eric.jpg

BTW, found on his profile it is pronounced GUY-check

SunDeck
10-11-2005, 02:58 PM
I think the guy is a little childish, but he's a gamer. The thing he needs is for TJ's hand to heal. That'll get him more passes, period. Then he'll be a gold toothy grin again.

CTA513
10-11-2005, 02:59 PM
I would be more worried about Rudi Johnson than Chad Johnson.

Yes Chad acts the way he acts, but he also is a hard worker and shows up on time. I see no truth into this whole "beef" that the media is trying to make up between Chad & Carson. Yes, there will be times that you will see them talking or arguing, but that happens on every team... You just dont see it, unless the media wants to make a big deal about it (McNabb & T.O.).

Rudi "Im late for everything" Johnson shows up when ever he wants to.
Rudi was almost late to another team meeting after he was disiplined for missing a previous meeting. How close was it? close enough were Rudi had to park his car were ever he could (outside of a parking spot), and Marvin ended up having it towed. :laugh:

With out Chad and his mouth, the Bengals wouldnt get nearly as much attention as they do now.

Caveat Emperor
10-11-2005, 03:12 PM
This kid has a selfish, "me" attitude, just like his cousin Keyshawn, Owens, and Moss.

Bengal fans have a talented young receiver down there. But I wonder how long it's going to be before his antics (just like some other elite receivers) grows old and becomes a disruption?

It's not about him - It's about the team.

As a Tampa Bay fan, I was given the "pleasure" of watching Keyshawn's act for 3 years, and let me be the first to tell you that they are absolutely nothing alike (including talent-wise; Chad has all the physical tools of Keyshawn, but absolutely burns him on speed).

Chad Johnson (like so many fans I know) is just one of those guys that wears his heart on his sleeve. The highs are high, the lows are low, and the man lives and dies on every snap of the football. When he's upset, its because he genuinely feels that he could've done something to change the outcome of the football game. And, frankly, I'm OK with that. It's a football game, players are allowed to get fired up on the sidelines and be hot at themselves and those around them when they don't perform up to the standards they're capable of. Where things get into trouble is when that "hot" attitude spills over into Mondays and Tuesdays. So far, the only thing I see Chad Johnson taking with him week-to-week off the field are his silly trash talking antics, which I find personally to be so outrageous as to lack any seriousness whatsoever.

Right now, in terms of "total package" wide reciever, I'd place Chad Johnson at #2 in the NFL behind only Hines Ward. Sure there are other WRs who might be more physically gifted (namely T.O. and Randy Moss), but their cancerous attitudes eventually lead to problems that their physical tools can't overcome. I don't see that from Chad. There were emotional outbursts on Sunday, but it was already a non-issue by Monday because the team was back to work, as a team, to get ready for the next game.

When was the last time a T.O. or Randy Moss story just died like that?

traderumor
10-11-2005, 04:05 PM
I would be more worried about Rudi Johnson than Chad Johnson.

Yes Chad acts the way he acts, but he also is a hard worker and shows up on time. I see no truth into this whole "beef" that the media is trying to make up between Chad & Carson. Yes, there will be times that you will see them talking or arguing, but that happens on every team... You just dont see it, unless the media wants to make a big deal about it (McNabb & T.O.).

Rudi "Im late for everything" Johnson shows up when ever he wants to.
Rudi was almost late to another team meeting after he was disiplined for missing a previous meeting. How close was it? close enough were Rudi had to park his car were ever he could (outside of a parking spot), and Marvin ended up having it towed. :laugh:

With out Chad and his mouth, the Bengals wouldnt get nearly as much attention as they do now.
And Rudi best remember that right now a second year back is outplaying him and doing more for the offense in the early going in very limited playing time. He better take some of that bonus and buy a watch and a good chauffer. That punctuality thing makes no sense, either, when he is so attentive and regimented in his personal workout ritual that has been well publicized.

Danny Serafini
10-11-2005, 04:28 PM
Perry had a good night, but I wouldn't say he's outplaying him. Rudi's the battering ram that makes Perry's change of pace so effective.

KronoRed
10-11-2005, 04:29 PM
Bengals win = what chad does is ok.
Bengals lose = Chad should just shut up and grow up.

Exactly.

Everyone gets called out when the team losses

traderumor
10-11-2005, 04:31 PM
Perry had a good night, but I wouldn't say he's outplaying him. Rudi's the battering ram that makes Perry's change of pace so effective.Rudi would be smart to watch his back, that's really all I'm saying, regardless of the contract he signed.

Fil3232
10-11-2005, 04:36 PM
And Rudi best remember that right now a second year back is outplaying him and doing more for the offense in the early going in very limited playing time. He better take some of that bonus and buy a watch and a good chauffer. That punctuality thing makes no sense, either, when he is so attentive and regimented in his personal workout ritual that has been well publicized.

Rudi's on pace for 1487 yards. I wouldnt worry too much about him. The only mildly concerning stat is his 1 TD, but I think that will change as the whole offense gets more comfortable inside the redzone.

And I agree, Rudi's style of play has allowed Perry to blossom. They compliment each other very well.

WMR
10-11-2005, 05:13 PM
Did anyone hear Chad on 700 w/ Furball this past friday? He might be the most personable NFL player I've ever come across. LOL, him on w/ Furball made me realize how annoying Furball is. I thought Furball was actually rude towards him a couple times as well and Chad never even acknowledged it... the guy talks smack and stuff, but he is humble too.

He said, "If someone has a problem with me or with something I do, I want to know about that, so I can address it, and hopefully make that person a Chad-Johnson Fan."

Red Leader
10-11-2005, 05:15 PM
Chad Johnson is great. I'm hoping the Bengals can resign him after this year, but I fear that with the emergence of Houshmandzadeh, they will decide to spend the money elsewhere.

WMR
10-11-2005, 05:18 PM
Chad Johnson is great. I'm hoping the Bengals can resign him after this year, but I fear that with the emergence of Houshmandzadeh, they will decide to spend the money elsewhere.

Not to mention who he has for an agent! :thumbdown

Danny Serafini
10-11-2005, 05:18 PM
Chad's got 3 or 4 more years left on his contract.

KronoRed
10-11-2005, 05:24 PM
In the NFL that doesn't mean much, if he's to expensive and won't renegotiate down, he's gone.

Red Leader
10-11-2005, 05:26 PM

You're right. He's signed through 2009. I thought he was a free agent after this year.

WMR
10-11-2005, 05:32 PM
Is Chad a top-5 paid WR? I could see Drew Rosensnake trying to get him to hold out. Would Chad hold out? Would Mike Brown re-negotiate?

redsfan30
10-11-2005, 05:38 PM
The only way Chad Johnson will not be a Bengal is if he doesn't want to be.

Don't worry about the Bengals not re-signing him when the time comes.

Boss-Hog
10-11-2005, 05:58 PM
As stated above, Chad signed a long term deal through 2009 a year or two ago. The only thing that may cause some concern is him holding out for a bigger contract next year, particularly since he hired as his Rosenhaus in the offseason.

GAC
10-11-2005, 07:00 PM
I understand this kid's passion and desire to want to win; but to have a hissy fit whenever the Bengals lose and say it's because they didn't get the ball to me more grows tiring, and just is not accurate. It's not the reason the Bengals lost.

I watched an interview with him during the Houston pre-game and he was spouting off how there was no defense, no matter how they set it up and how many guys that put on him, that could stop him. IMO, that is being stupid and just asking for trouble.

It just seems that every time he makes statements, or does antics like sending Pepto Bismo to the other team's D'backs, that he motivates defenses who do go out and stuff him. He then goes into a funk and depression. And he never seems to learn from that.

It's not his fault that TJ is hurt, which afforded the Jags' to dbl/triple team him. Any topdog receiver is gonna have a difficult day with that type of coverage. It's not his fault, Palmer's, or anyone else on the team. And he needs to understand that - not get upset because they weren't still throwing the ball his way under such type of coverage. He's good - but he is not Superman.

He said last week that he is not a football player, but an entertainer. If the other players on the team can deal with it, then that's fine. But I think it would get tiring and after a while be a distraction.

I think he is manic depressive. :lol:

I guess I am a Jerry Rice kind of guy who let his class performance on and off the field do all his talking - and not his emotions.

I never liked flashy receivers (that is just me) - they seem to think the whole world surrounds them when in fact if it weren't for a good QB who has to throw him the ball, other solid receivers to help provide the opportunities, and other factors during the play, these receivers would have a hard time.

Chip R
10-11-2005, 07:44 PM
Most of these top NFL wide receivers are prima donnas. Chad Johnson is no different. Marvin Harrison is a notable exception. Perhaps these guys need to spout off at the mouth for motivation. They are colorful and entertaining. They think of themselves before the team. If they don't catch enough balls, sure as the sun comes up in the east they will start complaining. As long as the team is winning, they are fun. When the team starts losing they are a cancer.

Oh, and Chad didn't hire Rosenhaus as his agent to get him more endorsements. Sure as we're all sitting here he's going to want to renegotiate his contract. And watch a lot of people turn against him.

traderumor
10-11-2005, 07:51 PM
I understand this kid's passion and desire to want to win; but to have a hissy fit whenever the Bengals lose and say it's because they didn't get the ball to me more grows tiring, and just is not accurate. It's not the reason the Bengals lost.

I watched an interview with him during the Houston pre-game and he was spouting off how there was no defense, no matter how they set it up and how many guys that put on him, that could stop him. IMO, that is being stupid and just asking for trouble.

It just seems that every time he makes statements, or does antics like sending Pepto Bismo to the other team's D'backs, that he motivates defenses who do go out and stuff him. He then goes into a funk and depression. And he never seems to learn from that.

It's not his fault that TJ is hurt, which afforded the Jags' to dbl/triple team him. Any topdog receiver is gonna have a difficult day with that type of coverage. It's not his fault, Palmer's, or anyone else on the team. And he needs to understand that - not get upset because they weren't still throwing the ball his way under such type of coverage. He's good - but he is not Superman.

He said last week that he is not a football player, but an entertainer. If the other players on the team can deal with it, then that's fine. But I think it would get tiring and after a while be a distraction.

I think he is manic depressive. :lol:

I guess I am a Jerry Rice kind of guy who let his class performance on and off the field do all his talking - and not his emotions.

I never liked flashy receivers (that is just me) - they seem to think the whole world surrounds them when in fact if it weren't for a good QB who has to throw him the ball, other solid receivers to help provide the opportunities, and other factors during the play, these receivers would have a hard time.
The only thing that matters to me is performance. Chad has a different personality than Jerry Rice and Marvin Harrison, as two soft spoken stars. I don't care if his personality comes out in his play as long as it does not affect his performance. I have seen evidence where it has and where it hasn't, but that is only because he wears his emotions on his sleeve. When the soft spoken guys are out of sorts for one reason or another, it simply is not quite as evident.

But, the soft spoken guys can be just as nasty, but do it in a much less obvious way. I'm sure all isn't peaches and cream with the quiet types either, they are just more PC about it. And sometimes are more likely to have stuff come out that seems so out of character because they kept it to themselves until it had to come out.

I can live with both types, but I trust the loudmouths more--you know where they're coming from.

Betterread
10-11-2005, 07:58 PM
You have to respect the year-in, year-out production that Randy Moss, T.O. and Marvin Harrison (why is he always left out of consideration of the top receivers) provide while always being double teamed, and somtimes triple teamed. They are head and shoulders above all other wideouts in this league.
Chad Johnson is not in their class in terms of production (just review the stats, folks - it's pretty clear). The first year he scores 15 TDS will be the first for him. The other receivers I mentioned have done it multiple times.

He's a legitimate #1 receiver, but a more accurate comp. would be with Hines Ward, Andre Johnson, Eric Moulds or Joe Horn. Those players are high quality receivers that really help their team. That is what Chad Johnson does. He should be happy with that. He is not a great one.

traderumor
10-11-2005, 08:10 PM
You have to respect the year-in, year-out production that Randy Moss, T.O. and Marvin Harrison (why is he always left out of consideration of the top receivers) provide while always being double teamed, and somtimes triple teamed. They are head and shoulders above all other wideouts in this league.
Chad Johnson is not in their class in terms of production (just review the stats, folks - it's pretty clear). The first year he scores 15 TDS will be the first for him. The other receivers I mentioned have done it multiple times.

He's a legitimate #1 receiver, but a more accurate comp. would be with Hines Ward, Andre Johnson, Eric Moulds or Joe Horn. Those players are high quality receivers that really help their team. That is what Chad Johnson does. He should be happy with that. He is not a great one.I'm not sure TDs is the proper stat to evaluate the eliteness of a receiver. I would say # balls and yards per catch is probably a more fair evaluator. Chad plays on a team that likes to run a lot in the red zone and he is not a big guy like TO and Moss to get a lot of red zone TD opportunities, plus he has played on about two full seasons on dog teams that did not score much. With that said, I would probably agree with your grouping as of today. But Chad is probably heading up the ladder, whereas I would say the other guys have reached their pinnacle.

GAC
10-11-2005, 09:22 PM
I guess I am just "old school". :lol:

I remember guys like Fred Biletnikoff, Lance Alworth, Raymond Berry, Ozzie Newsome, Paul Warfield, Jerry Rice, and others, who were fantastic receivers who didn't have to be the center of attention - showed it on the field, and left it on the field. They were, for the most part, class acts.

To me, a receiver pulling stunts in the endzone after a TD catch, like pulling out a cellphone to call their Mom or performing CPR on the football is all about calling attention to themselves and thinking the center of the universe revolves around them.

To me, it's a form of taunting, is uncalled for and very unprofesssinal IMO. I got upset in the Browns game versus Indy a couple weeks ago when Bryant and rookie Edwards got hit with taunting calls after a catch. It hurt the team in a bad way. OK - you did your job - you caught the ball - the play's over, go back to the huddle.

traderumor
10-11-2005, 09:26 PM
I guess I am just "old school". :lol:

I remember guys like Fred Biletnikoff, Lance Alworth, Raymond Berry, Ozzie Newsome, Paul Warfield, Jerry Rice, and others, who were fantastic receivers who didn't have to be the center of attention - showed it on the field, and left it on the field. They were, for the most part, class acts.

...Billy "White Shoes" Johnson was an "old-timer" too. :) I'd take all of the receivers' antics if all the fat defensive lineman would quit shaking their rolls and flexing their muscles after flopping on a pile when the running back fell down. All of the hot-dogging in the NFL is getting to be excessive and I could do without it, but not just the receivers.

GAC
10-11-2005, 10:21 PM
...Billy "White Shoes" Johnson was an "old-timer" too. :) I'd take all of the receivers' antics if all the fat defensive lineman would quit shaking their rolls and flexing their muscles after flopping on a pile when the running back fell down. All of the hot-dogging in the NFL is getting to be excessive and I could do without it, but not just the receivers.

I agree, which always has me shaking my head over the vagueness of the taunting rules.