PDA

View Full Version : Trying Hockey Out

traderumor
10-13-2005, 12:51 PM
Don't know why, but the NHL has me intrigued for the first time in my life. I have never paid much attention, understand the very basics, but not really much. Heck, I"m so lost that I can't figure out why the defenseman are called that when they play offense too. Of course, in this area the Blue Jackets are easy enough to follow, and I know new offensive minded rules have been adopted, which I looked at and made sense of, but how does a newbie get up to speed?

BTW, watching a game on tv is slim pickings so far and it is a little hard to keep track of on the radio. CBJ does show some games on FSN, but is ESPN still carrying games?

westofyou
10-13-2005, 12:57 PM
Don't know why, but the NHL has me intrigued for the first time in my life. I have never paid much attention, understand the very basics, but not really much. Heck, I"m so lost that I can't figure out why the defenseman are called that when they play offense too. Of course, in this area the Blue Jackets are easy enough to follow, and I know new offensive minded rules have been adopted, which I looked at and made sense of, but how does a newbie get up to speed?

BTW, watching a game on tv is slim pickings so far and it is a little hard to keep track of on the radio. CBJ does show some games on FSN, but is ESPN still carrying games?

If you have the Outdoor Network you can see games.

As for the defensemen, Bobby Orr changed all that.

Johnny Footstool
10-13-2005, 01:00 PM
It really helps to know the players.

Playing video games, namely EA Sports NHL Hockey, helps you get to know the players and basically what they can do -- speedy goal scorers, slapshot experts, hard checkers, and thugs. Plus you get a feel for the rules and how the game works. That's what got me hooked on hockey back in the 90's. My interest has waned quite a bit lately, though.

OldRightHander
10-13-2005, 01:03 PM
It's a shame that the minor league teams skipped town, because at least then you could attend some cheap games and get a pretty good handle on the rules that way. It's a lot better live when you can see all of the ice. I used to go up to the Gardens for a lot of Ducks games for $6.00 a piece. I'm a little ticked at the tv deal this season as well. It seems that unless I shell out some money for Center Ice or something, I'm going to be stuck with listening on the radio and catching the very occasional game on tv.

OldRightHander
10-13-2005, 01:05 PM

Playing video games, namely EA Sports NHL Hockey, helps you get to know the players and basically what they can do -- speedy goal scorers, slapshot experts, hard checkers, and thugs. Plus you get a feel for the rules and how the game works. That's what got me hooked on hockey back in the 90's. My interest has waned quite a bit lately, though.

I never thought of that. I have followed hockey since the late 70s and I can't say I've ever tried any of the video games. When I was a wee one attending Stingers games, they would always have a breakdown of the basic rules in the program and between reading that and just being observant, I figured it out pretty fast.

westofyou
10-13-2005, 01:07 PM
When I was a wee one attending Stingers games,

I had Stinger season tickets, woo hooo Dennis Sobchuck.

FWIW the owner of the Stingers now owns the Cardinals.

traderumor
10-13-2005, 01:13 PM

I used to listen to the Stingers on the radio and really enjoyed it.

Johnny Footstool
10-13-2005, 01:38 PM
NHL '95 introduced me to Joe Niewendyk, Theo Fleury, and Big Al McInnis (best slapshot in the game). I still root for the Calgary Flames.

SandyD
10-13-2005, 01:48 PM
I enjoyed having the Brass in NOLA. Of course, I often forgot to bring a sweatshirt or jacket to the games. But they left when the Hornets came. No idea what will happen now.

BTW, I had very little idea what was going on most of the time. But it was fun.

OldRightHander
10-13-2005, 01:51 PM

We had season tickets the last couple seasons. Actually, that's how I picked a favorite team in the NHL. The Stingers went down the tubes, Mike Liut ended up on the Blues, and that was that.

Red Leader
10-13-2005, 01:54 PM
ESPN usually has a NHL hockey night once the season gets in full swing (begins in November). They have some that are called "NHL Rules!" or "Hockey Rules", or something like that. Don't miss those games. The announcers go out of their way to explain rules and strategy to the novice fan. They are actually quite good even though they only have about 5 of them the whole season. I think Hockey on ESPN is on Wednesday's, although I don't know if ESPN has NHL rights this year or not. Haven't seen a game on ESPN yet this year.

westofyou
10-13-2005, 01:54 PM
We had season tickets the last couple seasons. Actually, that's how I picked a favorite team in the NHL. The Stingers went down the tubes, Mike Liut ended up on the Blues, and that was that.
Barry Melrose and Mark Messier where on those teams (as was my fave Robbie Ftorek, who played briefly for my all time team the Red Wings initially)

westofyou
10-13-2005, 01:55 PM
http://www.olntv.com/nw/article/view/1215/?tf=OLNPressCenter_articles.tpl&UserDef=true

STAMFORD, CT AND NEW YORK, NY (August 18) – OLN, a television leader in action and adventure sports, and the National Hockey League (NHL) today announced that OLN will be the new national cable television home for the NHL.

Under the terms of the multi-year agreement, OLN will televise at least 58 regular-season games. These games will air consistently on Monday and Tuesday nights and be exclusive to the network. OLN will carry the NHL All-Star Game exclusively in the US and will provide wall-to-wall coverage throughout the Stanley Cup Playoffs, including exclusive Conference Final action and the first two games of the Stanley Cup Final. OLN will kick off NHL coverage beginning with the Rangers-Flyers match-up October 5, the first day of the new season.

OLN and the NHL will bring television viewers closer to the ice by leveraging the League’s new telecast enhancements – increased behind-the-scenes access, microphones on the players and coaches, netcams and in-game interviews.

The partnership between OLN, Comcast and the NHL will redefine the sport for hockey viewers. More action on video on demand (VOD), in HDTV and online will create an experience like never before, including:
• VOD game highlights and library footage of hockey’s greatest moments with full fast-forward, rewind and replay capability;
• HDTV game coverage in a crisper, faster-moving, more exciting game for hockey fans every week;
• Online streaming of two live games per night (subject to local blackout), broadband highlights, commentary, and library footage;
• Round-the-clock coverage on the NHL Network, to be launched in the US in the future; and
• Comcast will have the ability to carry and/or syndicate additional games on Comcast’s regional sports networks where it has the consent of the local team and team’s rights holder.

Red Leader
10-13-2005, 01:59 PM
So, I guess that means that ESPN doens't have NHL rights this year.

So much for the Hockey Rules games with Barry Melrose and Gary Thorne.

traderumor
10-13-2005, 02:02 PM
what is OLN? Outdoor Network? Not sure if we have that one here in Nerk, unless its a digital station. Guess I'll try to catch the Blue Jackets when they're on, although they are off to a poor start.

OldRightHander
10-13-2005, 02:03 PM
Barry Melrose and Mark Messier where on those teams (as was my fave Robbie Ftorek, who played briefly for my all time team the Red Wings initially)

I remember those guys pretty well, but it was just a matter of coincidence that I was looking in the paper for news on hockey and Liut was the first familiar name I noticed so I checked to see what team he played on. I guess if Messier would have been the first one I noticed, I probably would have not ended up following the Blues. It's interesting how those things happen.

westofyou
10-13-2005, 02:10 PM
what is OLN? Outdoor Network? Not sure if we have that one here in Nerk, unless its a digital station. Guess I'll try to catch the Blue Jackets when they're on, although they are off to a poor start.

Channel 606 fro DirecTv folks.

I have the hockey package though, once baseball is over I'll probably watch 4-6 games a week.

Hence why I don't know who that running back for San Diego is or Jessica Biel.

Cyclone792
10-13-2005, 02:12 PM

You and I took the exact same path with following hockey. When I was a kid I never gave hockey any type of look whatsoever, but then for some reason I went out and bought a copy of NHL 95 for Sega Genesis and I just became hooked. The video game taught me who the players were, who the teams were, what most of the rules were, etc so I began following real life hockey a bit. Of course, without a local professional team my interest faded over time ... however ...

I later purchased NHL 97 for the PC and the same thing happened! I became reacquainted with the players and became really familiar with the rules. Shortly thereafter I started following the IHL's Cincinnati Cyclones and I was a fan of them until the IHL folded (the Cyclones were revived in the ECHL for a short time, but I couldn't get into them then).

Now with the NHL back and an expansion team in Columbus I may be able to get back into hockey for a third team and start following the Jackets. I haven't seen a hockey game on TV yet this season so it may be tough. I think what I may have to do is pick up a copy of NHL 2006 and that'd do the trick :laugh:

Cyclone792
10-13-2005, 02:14 PM
NHL '95 introduced me to Joe Niewendyk, Theo Fleury, and Big Al McInnis (best slapshot in the game). I still root for the Calgary Flames.

IIRC, Fleury was also probably the fastest guy in NHL 95 ... I swear he'd go the length of the ice in about two seconds.

westofyou
10-13-2005, 02:15 PM
IIRC, Fleury was also probably the fastest guy in NHL 95 ... I swear he'd go the length of the ice in about two seconds.Theo was quite the player back then in the real thing too, he used to cause quite a scene when he'd hit San Jose, the fans there hated him and he played them like a piano.

Johnny Footstool
10-13-2005, 03:58 PM
IIRC, Fleury was also probably the fastest guy in NHL 95 ... I swear he'd go the length of the ice in about two seconds.

Niewendyk had a something like a 90 power and 95 accuracy. McInnis had a 99 power and 80 accuracy, plus a 90 checking. Fleury had a 99 speed and about an 80 checking, even though he was small. Calgary's #1 line was awesome.

I think Fedorov and maybe Bure had 99 speed, too, but I liked Fleury better.

BuckU
10-13-2005, 04:00 PM
I am a big hockey fan, but I must admit, the new rules are brutal. There is absolutely NO physicality anymore. Penalties are called for simple shoulder checks into the boards and any scrums after the plays are quickly broken up. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t watch hockey to watch 2 guys who average 4:30 ice time per game slug it out after a face off, but I do like the hits and physicality. I truly love the offensive side of the game, but in the back of my mind I am always watching the big hits.

If the NHL wanted Euro-Hockey, they got it. They say that the new rules will promote rivalries. No so fast….rivalries are built on tough games and players playing with emotion. The first week there has been no emotion, no physical play, no heart. I agree with the shootout rule, the elimination of the red line, etc., I just can’t get over the way the games are being called.

I’m venting. I have been a lifelong hockey fan who remembers the glory days in the 80’s where you hated guys who wore the sweater of your rival. I know it’s only a week and most people would give it more time but I can’t help asking myself the question “I waited 1 ½ years for this?”

Hopefully all these anti-contact rules will die like the obstruction crackdown a few years ago. In the meantime, I’ll be wondering if hockey ever really came back….

If you are going to give hockey a chance, hope that in Decemeber things go back to the way they used to be, otherwise you are missing out on how great this game really is.

OldRightHander
10-13-2005, 04:14 PM
I am a big hockey fan, but I must admit, the new rules are brutal. There is absolutely NO physicality anymore. Penalties are called for simple shoulder checks into the boards and any scrums after the plays are quickly broken up. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t watch hockey to watch 2 guys who average 4:30 ice time per game slug it out after a face off, but I do like the hits and physicality. I truly love the offensive side of the game, but in the back of my mind I am always watching the big hits.

If the NHL wanted Euro-Hockey, they got it. They say that the new rules will promote rivalries. No so fast….rivalries are built on tough games and players playing with emotion. The first week there has been no emotion, no physical play, no heart. I agree with the shootout rule, the elimination of the red line, etc., I just can’t get over the way the games are being called.

I’m venting. I have been a lifelong hockey fan who remembers the glory days in the 80’s where you hated guys who wore the sweater of your rival. I know it’s only a week and most people would give it more time but I can’t help asking myself the question “I waited 1 ˝ years for this?”

Hopefully all these anti-contact rules will die like the obstruction crackdown a few years ago. In the meantime, I’ll be wondering if hockey ever really came back….

If you are going to give hockey a chance, hope that in Decemeber things go back to the way they used to be, otherwise you are missing out on how great this game really is.

:thumbup:

westofyou
10-13-2005, 04:22 PM
I think it will wear down after awhile, but it makes you wish for good Penalty teams on your side.

Which is the Wings strength, so currently all is working out well.

We'll see tonight.

HotCorner
10-13-2005, 04:50 PM
Boy do the Capitals suck right now ... but I really like Alexander Ovechkin. He and Sidney Crosby are being compared to Gretzky and Lemieux. Hopefully they live up to the hype.

Roy Tucker
10-13-2005, 04:56 PM
SI had their NHL edition a couple weeks ago. They had a summary of the changes that was good for laissez-faire hockey followers like me.

http://premium.si.cnn.com/pr/subs2/siexclusive/2005/pr/subs/siexclusive/09/28/nhl.new.world1003/index.html

Caveat Emperor
10-13-2005, 05:52 PM

NHL '95 for the Genesis was what first started me following the NHL as well. I'd always been a big fan of local minor league hockey, but the year that game came out coincided with my first trip to Pittsburgh with my father to watch a hockey game live. Later, when I started living in DC, I went to as many Capitals games as possible. I was present for their playoff run in 1998 -- and it's really impossible to describe the atmosphere of a playoff hockey game to someone who's never been there.

NHL '95 was great, except that you could put up insanely high scores by taking players with the puck right across the ice in front of the goalie and going top shelf, upper corner with a wrist shot as you skated by. Combining that with the front line of Mario Lemiuex, Ron Francis, and Jarmoir Jagr (all 99s) for the Pens, and you really could blow people out with ease :)

Johnny Footstool
10-13-2005, 07:00 PM
NHL '95 was great, except that you could put up insanely high scores by taking players with the puck right across the ice in front of the goalie and going top shelf, upper corner with a wrist shot as you skated by.

The "wraparound" technique was equally effective. You skated behind one side of the net and paused for a moment, drawing the goalie and a defender to one side. Then when you skated around the back of the net, the confused defender stayed on the other side and blocked the goalie, leaving you an open net.

Cedric
10-13-2005, 10:23 PM
Gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo Canucks.