PDA

View Full Version : Cross Your Fingers

Team Clark
10-29-2005, 04:31 PM
Hey Redszone faithful... I have two BIG interviews this week with Major League clubs. PLEASE cross your fingers and say a prayer for me. These are Major promotions for me and I can use all the help I can get. I would not normally reach out like this but I have seen other long time 'zoners do it with good results. Must be the "energy" we have here. Thanks in advance. I promise to keep you posted.

MartyFan
10-29-2005, 06:00 PM
Team Clark

I am on it...Good lick...HOW COOL!

Redsland
10-29-2005, 06:01 PM
Good luck, TCII. Not that you'll need it.

:beerme:

tp_on_safari
10-29-2005, 06:08 PM
Good luck to you!

Newport Red
10-29-2005, 08:34 PM
Hey Redszone faithful... I have two BIG interviews this week with Major League clubs. PLEASE cross your fingers and say a prayer for me. These are Major promotions for me and I can use all the help I can get. I would not normally reach out like this but I have seen other long time 'zoners do it with good results. Must be the "energy" we have here. Thanks in advance. I promise to keep you posted.

Good Luck. As Always.

Gallen5862
10-29-2005, 08:51 PM
Good luck Team Clark on your interviews.

KronoRed
10-29-2005, 10:15 PM
Good luck

Team Clark
10-29-2005, 11:14 PM
Thanks all. I've always done well during the interview process. I just hope I do REALLY DARN WELL for these two !! LOL!!

Chip R
10-29-2005, 11:17 PM
Best of luck!

Redny
10-29-2005, 11:45 PM
consider them crossed, and good luck.

icehole3
10-30-2005, 05:59 AM
Good luck Clark, you're a good guy I know you'll do well.

PurplePanther73
10-30-2005, 07:38 AM
PurplePanther73 sending some "purple power" your way, Team Clark.

Best of luck!!!

10-30-2005, 10:45 AM
Good luck! Let us know how they turn out!

Joseph
10-30-2005, 11:39 AM
Best of luck/wishes to you on those interviews.

Az Red
10-30-2005, 11:54 AM
Lifting up a prosperous future for you and your family.

ITNOJC, Amen.

SunDeck
10-30-2005, 06:28 PM
You didn't list us as a reference, did you? That'd get you the job, surely.

flyer85
10-30-2005, 07:00 PM
Should we all send our resumes?

deltachi8
10-30-2005, 07:22 PM
i crossed all that i legally can

reds1869
10-30-2005, 09:07 PM
Good luck, I hope you do great!

Team Clark
10-30-2005, 09:58 PM
You didn't list us as a reference, did you? That'd get you the job, surely.

No, But I should. The power of the people!! I love the comments. Helps keep this whole thing in perspective. Much appreciated.

I got an e-mail from the D-Rays yesterday. Looks like they are putting a lot of pieces to their puzzle together quickly. Hopefully, I will interview with them as well.

MartyFan
10-30-2005, 10:05 PM
That would be so cool...I really hope the D-Rays do soemthing...I lived down in the Tampa area when the team was introduced and the first 3 seasons...They are my AL team.

Blimpie
10-31-2005, 12:47 PM
Team Clark

I am on it...Good lick...HOW COOL!I won't go as far as Marty, but I will cross my fingers for you TC....

larryboy
10-31-2005, 01:13 PM
Good luck, just be yourself and tell them your story and what you can do for them. You can't control what they are looking for, but make sure they know what you have to offer. After that its out of your control. Good luck and congratulations.

Boss-Hog
10-31-2005, 01:16 PM
Best of luck, TCII.

cumberlandreds
10-31-2005, 01:31 PM
Best of luck to You!

Team Clark
10-31-2005, 05:13 PM
Thanks all. Your finger crossing must really be working because a team I had desperately wanted to talk to called back this afternoon and asked if I had time to be on a conference call. 3 Hours later, it looks like I will get an offer by Thursday. I still have two interviews to go.

On a separate note I spoke at length with the Devil Rays this morning. They are not kidding around when it comes to righting the ship. I can tell you they are leaning towards Gerry Hunsicker as the GM. (This means nothing coming from me, just what I gathered) Fortunately, I know him pretty well and that carried some weight in my interview with them today. I was very impressed with their staff and will be in Tampa on Friday for a second interview.

MartyFan
10-31-2005, 05:17 PM
I won't go as far as Marty, but I will cross my fingers for you TC....

Ummm...let me say that I would NEVER EVER go as far as wishing anybody "lick"...I have to slow down and type better.

Sorry for any mixed signals.

Team Clark
10-31-2005, 05:21 PM
Ummm...let me say that I would NEVER EVER go as far as wishing anybody "lick"...I have to slow down and type better.

Sorry for any mixed signals.

C'mon now. I would wish you a lick... You mean you can't wish me a lick back? There goes your tickets!!!

REDREAD
10-31-2005, 05:53 PM
Good luck Team Clark, hope you remembered to bring a binder with you to the interview :)

Of course, if you do get a ML job, you've got to tell us where you land.

MartyFan
10-31-2005, 07:03 PM
C'mon now. I would wish you a lick... You mean you can't wish me a lick back? There goes your tickets!!!

Let me just say...I finished filming my first movie...due out in the spring (limited release) then national release in the summer...I could potentially score you tickets to the primere.

But as of this writing...NO LICKE:mooner: Y

Yachtzee
10-31-2005, 09:21 PM
Good Luck TC. I just hope you'll still find the time to post here from time to time. I enjoyed your stories from your playing days.

Team Clark
11-01-2005, 08:07 PM
Good day on the interview front despite some bad news. Bad news was my interview with the Red Sox had to be cancelled. Good thing they paid for the plane ticket. :-)

Good news was the Devil Rays followed up today and confirmed Friday's round two. Second round of talks should go well. A lot of philosophy discussion. Maybe Plato?

The Braves, which were the team that kinda came out of nowhere yesterday, also followed up today and wanted to know the status of my other interviews. That was pretty cool. "Don't do anyhting until you talk to us". Yes sir.

The Astros are on deck for tomorrow. I have some great friends there and really look forward to this meeting. I think I have almost psyched myself out. I have worked in and out of Baseball for several years and I still get worked up over interviews. Especially interviews with people I have known for years.

I have made a real push to talk to the Padres. I interviewed with them and turned down a job in 2003. Not sure that bodes well now but hey..... never know. Tye Waller is still the Director of Player Development and still needs someone to fill that position. I still have the e-mail from Kevin Towers that read "Dissapointed" in the subject line. Eeeeks. Hopefully either he or Tye will return my call. If anyone can help with that I would REALLY appreciate it. The more irons in the fire the better.

Heath
11-01-2005, 08:26 PM
TC ... don't go to the NL Central - its like the Reds trading intra-division ;)

good luck to ya!

Krusty
11-01-2005, 10:50 PM
Thanks all. Your finger crossing must really be working because a team I had desperately wanted to talk to called back this afternoon and asked if I had time to be on a conference call. 3 Hours later, it looks like I will get an offer by Thursday. I still have two interviews to go.

On a separate note I spoke at length with the Devil Rays this morning. They are not kidding around when it comes to righting the ship. I can tell you they are leaning towards Gerry Hunsicker as the GM. (This means nothing coming from me, just what I gathered) Fortunately, I know him pretty well and that carried some weight in my interview with them today. I was very impressed with their staff and will be in Tampa on Friday for a second interview.

Congratulations TC. With Hunsinker going to Tampa, most likely you will see Padres GM Kevin Towers leave to be the new Red Sox GM.

That will leave the Padres and Dodgers looking for GMs. Didn't Theo Epstein once work with Padres prez Sandy Alderson? Maybe Epstein will take over once Towers departs.

As for the Dodgers...why don't they just name Tommy Lasorda GM unless Bowden takes the job?

Team Clark
11-02-2005, 10:08 AM
Congratulations TC. With Hunsinker going to Tampa, most likely you will see Padres GM Kevin Towers leave to be the new Red Sox GM.

That will leave the Padres and Dodgers looking for GMs. Didn't Theo Epstein once work with Padres prez Sandy Alderson? Maybe Epstein will take over once Towers departs.

As for the Dodgers...why don't they just name Tommy Lasorda GM unless Bowden takes the job?

Thank you. Towers could go to the Red Sox but he did just make a statement saying he was committed to the Padres for 2006. Of course that also sounds a lot like "This is not a firesale". i.e John Allen :laugh:

Epstein worked closely with Larry Lucchino in San Diego and eventually Boston. Their relationship actually started in Baltimore. Not too sure if he corssed paths with Sandy Alderson.

Lasorda was the GM for a short period and he hated it. I think he just wants to be able to pick up the phone and call a few shots when he needs too.

Joseph
11-02-2005, 10:12 AM
Glad to hear things are going in an overwhelmingly positive direction Team Clark. Keeping my fingers crossed until a resolution comes about for you. Hard to type that way, but hey, what are fellow boardies for?

redsfan30
11-02-2005, 10:20 AM
Not to sound out of the loop, but what job is it that you're hoping to get (if you can even say publicly at this time)?

Good luck in any event!

OldRightHander
11-02-2005, 10:33 AM
Not to sound out of the loop, but what job is it that you're hoping to get (if you can even say publicly at this time)?

Good luck in any event!

Maybe if he can't say it "publicly" he could PM the curious among us. ;)

WVRedsFan
11-02-2005, 11:25 AM
Regardless of the position TCII is going for, He'll be an asset to the bunch that hires him.

Good luck (boy, am I redundant today), and keep us posted.

Not interviewing with the Reds? :-)

Doc. Scott
11-02-2005, 02:45 PM
The problem is that, like Bill James and the Red Sox, we'll stop hearing the little extra tidbits from TCII as soon as he's on a major-league payroll.

Team Clark
11-03-2005, 12:23 PM
The problem is that, like Bill James and the Red Sox, we'll stop hearing the little extra tidbits from TCII as soon as he's on a major-league payroll.

C'mon.. I don't post as much anymore to begin with!!:laugh: I was on Major League payroll this year and still posted.

Glad to see Gerry Hunsicker get the job in Tampa. This could really help me tomorrow. Now that Mr. Hunsicker is in place I hope to be meeting with him as well as Mr. Silverman tomorrow. If they offer me a job tomorrow, I don't see how I could say "no".

Houston was fantastic. Our meeting went very well and I was "GRILLED" for the better part of an hour and a half. I even brought my own scouting reports for them to review against their staff's. Gutsy but it WORKED!!! The Astros leave you with a tremedous feeling of confidence and stability. I have very close friends who work there. Always good to work at a place where others you trust can look out for you.

The Braves kept in touch yesterday and we are set to speak again today.

No word back from the Padres... Long shot anyway. I was pursuing them, not the other way around.

Someone asked why I was not in contact with the Reds? I would not work for Dan O'Brien or Dean Taylor if it was the last job on earth. Dan's reputation is getting worse and Dean's was bad to begin with. When they get wiped out all the people they bring in are going to go too. I would not want to be a part of that mess. Not to mention the lack of professionalism they dole out on a regular basis. I'll pass.

Team Clark
11-03-2005, 12:26 PM
Maybe if he can't say it "publicly" he could PM the curious among us. ;)

I can't give out the positions as some are still filled. Although most contracts expired Oct 31st. I can say some are in scouting and some are Player Development. I have filled both roles previosuly and have no preference.

15fan
11-03-2005, 12:31 PM
TC -

If you end up here in the ATL, holler.

I'll point you to the right barbecue joints.

Team Clark
11-03-2005, 12:33 PM
TC -

Sweet. I'll do that. Fortunately I will only have to go to Atlanta a few times per year. I will operate mostly out of Cincinnati.

pedro
11-03-2005, 12:51 PM
TC -

I miss Fatt Matts.

WVRedsFan
11-03-2005, 01:30 PM
C'mon.. I don't post as much anymore to begin with!!:laugh: I was on Major League payroll this year and still posted.

Glad to see Gerry Hunsicker get the job in Tampa. This could really help me tomorrow. Now that Mr. Hunsicker is in place I hope to be meeting with him as well as Mr. Silverman tomorrow. If they offer me a job tomorrow, I don't see how I could say "no".

Houston was fantastic. Our meeting went very well and I was "GRILLED" for the better part of an hour and a half. I even brought my own scouting reports for them to review against their staff's. Gutsy but it WORKED!!! The Astros leave you with a tremedous feeling of confidence and stability. I have very close friends who work there. Always good to work at a place where others you trust can look out for you.

The Braves kept in touch yesterday and we are set to speak again today.

No word back from the Padres... Long shot anyway. I was pursuing them, not the other way around.

Someone asked why I was not in contact with the Reds? I would not work for Dan O'Brien or Dean Taylor if it was the last job on earth. Dan's reputation is getting worse and Dean's was bad to begin with. When they get wiped out all the people they bring in are going to go too. I would not want to be a part of that mess. Not to mention the lack of professionalism they dole out on a regular basis. I'll pass.

That was me that asked the question about applying with the Reds. I knew the answer and was being a little mischevious about it. Hopefully, DOB will be gone soon along with the rest of that sorry bunch. I read today that it looked like DanO and Narron were safe because they had contracts, but I would think that the new owners would look at this mess and rid themselves of all the failure around them. Nothing against Narron, but he's who's first choice for manager in the league. The answer is...NOBODY.

Nuff said.

smith288
11-03-2005, 01:50 PM
Sweet. I'll do that. Fortunately I will only have to go to Atlanta a few times per year. I will operate mostly out of Cincinnati.
Good God life seems so unfair. ;)

I was once a bat boy... where will that get me at the MLB level?

Team Clark
11-03-2005, 04:18 PM
Good God life seems so unfair. ;)

I was once a bat boy... where will that get me at the MLB level?

They may have a Bat Boy Hall of Fame... LOL! I never had the opportunity to be a bat boy. If I had I probably would have been terrible. I would have been staring at my idols not being able to move.

MartyFan
11-03-2005, 05:25 PM
TC:

I am really happy for you and I will admit a bit envious...of course I have no skills to evaluate talent or help develop talent or pretty much do anything with any organization...so, it is probably best I stay in the comedy thing...by the way, one cool thing I got to do one time was to go do about 10 minutes of comedy for the Columbus Crew (MLS) before a game...just did some nonsense to get them loose...any chance they ever have that sort of thing happen with MLB teams?

Team Clark
11-03-2005, 06:01 PM
TC:

I am really happy for you and I will admit a bit envious...of course I have no skills to evaluate talent or help develop talent or pretty much do anything with any organization...so, it is probably best I stay in the comedy thing...by the way, one cool thing I got to do one time was to go do about 10 minutes of comedy for the Columbus Crew (MLS) before a game...just did some nonsense to get them loose...any chance they ever have that sort of thing happen with MLB teams?

If you have ever been in a Major League Clubhouse there is some of the best comedy in the country going on every day. Pete Harnisch and Denny Neagle were the two best.

Team Clark
11-06-2005, 12:46 PM
Just an update...

Houston is out. Although the interview went well and the "good 'ol boy" network was in play still "no fit".

Atlanta is still in. I received a call last night (Sat) at 8:00 PM. (Pretty cool to get a phone call on a weekend from the Braves) I am in the mix and have a tenative offer.

Tampa Bay is also in. Although this deal could take a few weeks to develop, I fear I may lose the Braves if I have to wait for the D-Rays. Timing is everything.

The difference in the Braves job and the D-Rays job is HUGE. Scouting (Pro side) vs. a large role in Player Development. If you do a great job in PD you get bumped up quickly and have a shot at being an Asst. GM. (See Andrew Friedman) In scouting it takes you longer to move up but you are an integral part of the organization. Especially on the Pro side. With the Braves I would report to two people both of which are at the top. Great for face time. I am a little torn on this. With Atlanta I could stay in Cincy. Tampa requires me to move there. I guess there are worse places to go.

SunDeck
11-07-2005, 07:07 AM
Just an update...

Houston is out. Although the interview went well and the "good 'ol boy" network was in play still "no fit".

Atlanta is still in. I received a call last night (Sat) at 8:00 PM. (Pretty cool to get a phone call on a weekend from the Braves) I am in the mix and have a tenative offer.

Tampa Bay is also in. Although this deal could take a few weeks to develop, I fear I may lose the Braves if I have to wait for the D-Rays. Timing is everything.

The difference in the Braves job and the D-Rays job is HUGE. Scouting (Pro side) vs. a large role in Player Development. If you do a great job in PD you get bumped up quickly and have a shot at being an Asst. GM. (See Andrew Friedman) In scouting it takes you longer to move up but you are an integral part of the organization. Especially on the Pro side. With the Braves I would report to two people both of which are at the top. Great for face time. I am a little torn on this. With Atlanta I could stay in Cincy. Tampa requires me to move there. I guess there are worse places to go.

Either way, it sounds like two places a person would want to go. The Braves are, well...the Braves. What an organization from top to bottom. Being there would have to be great for your career. TB seems intriguing. From the outside it looks like they are hoping to turn things around. That might be a real opportunity for a smart Redszoner such as yourself.
Best of luck, TC.

15fan
11-07-2005, 09:23 AM
Tampa or Atlanta?

While the Gold Club is no more ( :cry: ), I've been told :p: that there are plenty of other fine, uh, entertainment establishments around this town I now call home.

Tampa also seems to have it's share of, um, fun things to do.

Though after reading this story ( http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5059164 ), Charlotte might be the place you really want to live. ;)

Team Clark
11-07-2005, 11:00 AM
Tampa or Atlanta?

While the Gold Club is no more ( :cry: ), I've been told :p: that there are plenty of other fine, uh, entertainment establishments around this town I now call home.

Tampa also seems to have it's share of, um, fun things to do.

Though after reading this story ( http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5059164 ), Charlotte might be the place you really want to live. ;)

Those poor cheerleaders... Sounds like they were trying to have some "quality" time and just couldn't get the privacy they needed.

flyer85
11-07-2005, 11:13 AM
Someone asked why I was not in contact with the Reds? I would not work for Dan O'Brien or Dean Taylor if it was the last job on earth. Dan's reputation is getting worse and Dean's was bad to begin with. When they get wiped out all the people they bring in are going to go too. I would not want to be a part of that mess. Not to mention the lack of professionalism they dole out on a regular basis. I'll pass. ... now tell us what you really think. :D

Team Clark
11-07-2005, 11:41 AM
... now tell us what you really think. :D

Sorry to hold back in my comments... :laugh: I'll tell all in my Book.

flyer85
11-07-2005, 12:02 PM
Sorry to hold back in my comments... :laugh: I'll tell all in my Book.hopefully the "wiped out" will happen in December. Nothing would deflate true fans faster than the new ownership keeping DanO and his cronies around.

BadFundamentals
11-07-2005, 12:58 PM
Those poor cheerleaders... Sounds like they were trying to have some "quality" time and just couldn't get the privacy they needed.
I was at that club sat. night. In retrospect, it appears I left about 40 minutes before the national news event took place. :cool:

You would love Tampa. (or st. pete or clearwater)....great area to live.

If you come to work for D-Rays just promise you won't be a part of trading away all the young, versatile talent and replacing it with big swinging strikeout guys. :thumbup:

"Player Development/Scouting" isn't marketing but dropping a couple good marketing ideas probably wouldn't hurt in an interview. The local baseball talk still always circles back to how they can get people to drive across the bridge to st. pete and sit and watch a baseball game in a dome. To this end the new ownership has already announced that they will not charge for parking next year and that they will change rules about bringing in food/drink to allow people to bring in their own provisions.................

Blimpie
11-07-2005, 01:34 PM
To this end the new ownership has already announced that they will not charge for parking next year and that they will change rules about bringing in food/drink to allow people to bring in their own provisions..........Blasphemy!!! Wait 'til the other team owners get their hands on these guys at the winter meetings....

flyer85
11-07-2005, 01:45 PM
If you come to work for D-Rays just promise you won't be a part of trading away all the young, versatile talent and replacing it with big swinging strikeout guys. :thumbup: ... won't have to the DRays best prospects are already that (Gomes, Upton, Young)

KronoRed
11-07-2005, 03:47 PM
More good luck to you TC2 :)

Team Clark
11-26-2005, 11:33 AM
One more quick update. I am scheduled to meet with the Devil Rays again on Dec 1. Now that the ship is coming together they will begin filling in the rest of the pieces. The Braves have made a decent offer and I am just waiting on the outcome of the Dec 1 meeting to make a decision. Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving.

Team Clark
12-23-2005, 09:12 PM
I received the "good news" tonight. (Nice X-Mas present) After weeks of negotiating and several sleepless nights trying to decide what to do... I chose the Devil Rays and vice versa. The Braves were in the mix and were as classy as could be expected. John Schuerholz, Dayton Moore, Roy Clark and Matt Price were PHENOMENAL to work with. However, I felt like I would be just another fish in a pretty big pond.

I will be joining the D-Rays Player Development staff. Quite a unique situation in Tampa Bay. They have changed their front office structure and job titles. Gerry Hunsicker has laid out the plan. There is a lot of room for growth and the ability to be seen and heard is important. I believe in their plan and can't wait to get started.

Thanks for everyone's support!!

IowaRed
12-23-2005, 09:33 PM
Great news TC, congratulations! Best of luck in the future and I hope you can keep us updated. I've really enjoyed reading your inside information

Redsland
12-23-2005, 10:41 PM
Killer!

Scout to contact, baby!

:)

Reds Nd2
12-23-2005, 10:53 PM
I received the "good news" tonight. (Nice X-Mas present)

And all I got was Tony Womack in my stocking. :angry:

Seriously, congratulations on the new job. I was thinking about this thread today after finally getting around to reading BA's roundtable with Bowden, Dombrowski, Beinfest, and Purpura.

It's too bad about you having to move to Tampa and it sounds like you'll lose some real serious face time in Hotlanta, but this may be the better of the two options. It could be a real chance to make a difference and you'll be able to get your name out there for other organizations as well. Hopefully it puts you on the faster track. Good luck TC and don't forget us here at RedsZone. We want some, well, I want some comp tix when the Reds play the D-Rays in interleague. Oh yea', don't forget the "nice ass" metric. It works. ;) Now, go get your work done.

"Get your work done, do it well, and then you get to do the next thing." --Larry Beinfest (Marlins)

Team Clark
12-23-2005, 11:10 PM
And all I got was Tony Womack in my stocking. :angry:

Seriously, congratulations on the new job. I was thinking about this thread today after finally getting around to reading BA's roundtable with Bowden, Dombrowski, Beinfest, and Purpura.

It's too bad about you having to move to Tampa and it sounds like you'll lose some real serious face time in Hotlanta, but this may be the better of the two options. It could be a real chance to make a difference and you'll be able to get your name out there for other organizations as well. Hopefully it puts you on the faster track. Good luck TC and don't forget us here at RedsZone. We want some, well, I want some comp tix when the Reds play the D-Rays in interleague. Oh yea', don't forget the "nice ass" metric. It works. ;) Now, go get your work done.

"Get your work done, do it well, and then you get to do the next thing." --Larry Beinfest (Marlins)

Thank you. Fortunately, as it stands, I will not have to move the family. Although I will be spending a considerable amount of time in Tampa. Looks like I will have to get a 1 BR apartment though. I will be in Tampa from Feb 1st through the first week of April for sure. Parts of July, August and most of October. That is what is on the drawing board. I'll have several stops in Durham in May, June and July. I'll be spending three weeks with the rookies after the draft. Player development is more hands on than scouting. Couldn't be more pleased.

traderumor
12-23-2005, 11:33 PM
Congratulations and Best Wishes, TC!

Topcat
12-24-2005, 12:08 AM
Best of luck tc and know I wish you well and hope to see you progress upwards in your dream :beerme:

MartyFan
12-24-2005, 02:02 AM
TC, hey, maybe you can help a team out....any chance you can swing an excellent young pitcher too the Reds for Tony Womack? You know, all this chatter about how poorly Milton has done with the Reds is realy overblown...I am certain if he were in Tampa he would be doing a lot better...Wilson? Hello?, are you there?!?!

Kidding aside, congratulations!

remdog
12-24-2005, 03:17 AM
Nice gig! :thumbup:

Good luck!

Rem

LexingtonRedsFan
12-24-2005, 09:39 AM
Congrats!! Remember us little people when you make the big time...:)

Heath
12-24-2005, 11:25 AM
Hey, TC - have fun down there - make the DRays competetive!

And, hey, if you dress up like a rabbit in the locker room for some authentic apparel, remember your ol' pal Heath here in a size XXL. ;)

WilyMo
12-24-2005, 12:36 PM
I've enjoyed reading your description of this whole process and CONGRATULATIONS!!

This is what I've wanted to do since I was a litlte kid, I'm still currently a senior in college and will graduate in May. What's your advice for getting started? I'd really appreciate it if you could shoot me a PM just to let me know what I should do following graduation. I know you're busy and all, so whenever you can get a chance.

Congratulations once again and best of luck!!

BoydsOfSummer
12-24-2005, 02:46 PM
There are some nice articles recently added to Baseball America's site on that very subject,WilyMo.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/features/051219gmtips.html

So You Want To Work In Baseball?
There's no magic formula for getting into the game, but here are 10 tips

By Alan Schwarz
December 19, 2005

2005 General Manager Package:
• General Manager Roundtable
• Ten Tips For Getting Into The Game
• Three Major League GMs Recount Their Path
• Fighting To Get In: Getting To The Top Isn't Easy
• GM History Lesson: Dave Dombrowski's College Thesis
• Minor League GMs Focus On Customers
• Indy GMs Find Added Worries
• The Baseball America Executive Database

The math isn’t difficult. With more than 1,000 young people vying for maybe 50 open positions in baseball front offices every year, landing one of them is baseball’s version of winning the lottery. But unlike the Pick 6, this isn’t blind luck. Sense and strategy can put you at the top of any team’s list.

As Braves assistant general manager Frank Wren puts it, no “magic elixir” will impress an organization and get you that first opportunity. But everyone in the business has his or her two cents about starting out properly. Here are the 10 best pieces of advice we've heard:

1. Show Work Ethic And Passion

Will you make airport runs to pick up minor leaguers? “Of course.” Will you photocopy and collate scouting reports while manning the office phone? “You betcha.” Will you make a McDonald’s run at 2 a.m. during draft all-nighters? “Can I supersize that for you?” Nothing can be beneath an entry-level baseball employee, so embrace it all--now. “Nothing can take the place of passion for the game--that’s the main requirement,” Royals general manager Allard Baird says. Almost every GM agrees, but that’s only the first step.

2. Make The Calls

Going to the Winter Meetings job fair is great one-stop shopping, but call every team’s human resources department every three months to inquire about internships. Each club typically has a position open somewhere once a year. “We bring in an intern every summer to help with scouting and major league operations,” A’s assistant GM David Forst says. When you learn of a position, immediately apply, preferably with something in your letter and resume specifically geared toward that team and what they’re looking for. In that regard . . .

3. Be Different

Ten years ago, someone with an MBA, law degree or internship with the NHL would stand out from the pack and grab insiders’ eyes. Now there are dozens of excellent candidates applying for every position across professional baseball. So demonstrate that there’s something unique about your candidacy and qualifications. “Give me something no one else has done,” Nationals GM Jim Bowden says. “Show that you’re innovative--something that separates yourself from the 300 other resumes I get.” You can bet that being fluent in Spanish and perhaps another language--scoutspeak doesn’t count--will vault you up the list.

4. Network, Baby

Almost every person in baseball has a story about meeting someone who helped them break in. (Usually, it’s Roland Hemond.) When you go to a game, talk with scouts before first pitch, ask about how they do their jobs, get their business cards, follow up with a thank-you note, take them to lunch. “Everybody likes to talk about themselves,” Dodgers assistant GM Kim Ng jokes, “and every once in a while you get a guy who just thinks you’re the greatest.” When an entry-level spot opens at their next organization meetings, they’ll remember this eager, hard-working kid they met at the ballpark. As with many industries, it’s not just who you know, but who knows you. One other tactic: Scour clubs for people who attended the same college you did. Almost everyone is predisposed to helping a fellow alum.

5. Don't Play Favorites

Even if you prefer the business side to the baseball side, the majors to the minors, administrative to on-field scouting, don’t limit yourself at the start. First, there aren’t enough positions around to be picky. Second, versatility is what will make you an attractive candidate to move up in your organization or another. “We’re a small enough industry where you get in, show what you can do,” Mets assistant GM John Ricco says. “We’re small enough where people move around early.”

6. Be Humble

You don’t know anything. Get used to it. Even if you have grand plans for streamlining player development or scouting Chinese shortstops, nothing turns off an executive more than a know-it-all. Profess a willingness to learn what you don’t know before professing what you do. Beyond that, sharp executives call smell frauds instantly. “It’s true knowledge versus fan knowledge,” Wren says. “When I detect that someone has true knowledge and a passion, then we can start going down that path. When you realize it’s just fan knowledge . . . ”

7. Forget The Great Debate

Raising the torch for either traditional scouting or new statistical methods is for bar rooms, not interview rooms. And a contemptuous smirk at either side will show you the other side of the door almost instantly. Even if you have a predisposition toward one camp or the other, demonstrate that you can play nice with others. If you’re a former player, show you want to learn about the administrative side. If you’re an MBA, say you want to dive into on-field scouting. Or better yet, show that you already have started either process on your own. Arguments can be healthy--but only after you earn respect, not demand it.

8. Advance Scout

Study the background of every baseball person you might come into contact with. Know where they played, who their managers were. Know the scout who signed them. Know what route they took into their current position. Ask unprompted questions like, “What did you learn working for the Indians under Hank Peters?” This will help you on two levels: One, you’ll appear knowledgeable with an appreciation for the game’s history, and two, it’s a subtle stroke of the ego that works.

9. Be Persistent

Jobs open up so infrequently that you need to follow up with your contacts to reaffirm your interest and make sure nothing slips past you. But also remember you’re one of hundreds of candidates, and current executives have far more pressing matters to worry about than whether you’re the person for a far-off entry-level opening. “Be persistent, but not a pest,” Tigers GM Dave Dombrowski says. “Use common sense.” One or two memorable conversations will always go further than 10 just-checking-ins.

10. Get Beyond Passion

Nothing will kill your candidacy more than the oft-used line, “I just want to work in baseball.” It sounds humble, earnest and passionate--but betrays a misunderstanding of what teams truly value. They aren’t hiring people who want to be in baseball--they’re hiring people who can do the job. Will you be an important part of their operation? Can you do things no one else can? Will you make it easier for your higher-ups to get their own jobs done? That is what they’ll pay you for. If you’re lucky.

Team Clark
12-24-2005, 03:32 PM
There are some nice articles recently added to Baseball America's site on that very subject,WilyMo.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/features/051219gmtips.html

So You Want To Work In Baseball?
There's no magic formula for getting into the game, but here are 10 tips

By Alan Schwarz
December 19, 2005

2005 General Manager Package:
• General Manager Roundtable
• Ten Tips For Getting Into The Game
• Three Major League GMs Recount Their Path
• Fighting To Get In: Getting To The Top Isn't Easy
• GM History Lesson: Dave Dombrowski's College Thesis
• Minor League GMs Focus On Customers
• Indy GMs Find Added Worries
• The Baseball America Executive Database

The math isn’t difficult. With more than 1,000 young people vying for maybe 50 open positions in baseball front offices every year, landing one of them is baseball’s version of winning the lottery. But unlike the Pick 6, this isn’t blind luck. Sense and strategy can put you at the top of any team’s list.

As Braves assistant general manager Frank Wren puts it, no “magic elixir” will impress an organization and get you that first opportunity. But everyone in the business has his or her two cents about starting out properly. Here are the 10 best pieces of advice we've heard:

1. Show Work Ethic And Passion

Will you make airport runs to pick up minor leaguers? “Of course.” Will you photocopy and collate scouting reports while manning the office phone? “You betcha.” Will you make a McDonald’s run at 2 a.m. during draft all-nighters? “Can I supersize that for you?” Nothing can be beneath an entry-level baseball employee, so embrace it all--now. “Nothing can take the place of passion for the game--that’s the main requirement,” Royals general manager Allard Baird says. Almost every GM agrees, but that’s only the first step.

2. Make The Calls

Going to the Winter Meetings job fair is great one-stop shopping, but call every team’s human resources department every three months to inquire about internships. Each club typically has a position open somewhere once a year. “We bring in an intern every summer to help with scouting and major league operations,” A’s assistant GM David Forst says. When you learn of a position, immediately apply, preferably with something in your letter and resume specifically geared toward that team and what they’re looking for. In that regard . . .

3. Be Different

Ten years ago, someone with an MBA, law degree or internship with the NHL would stand out from the pack and grab insiders’ eyes. Now there are dozens of excellent candidates applying for every position across professional baseball. So demonstrate that there’s something unique about your candidacy and qualifications. “Give me something no one else has done,” Nationals GM Jim Bowden says. “Show that you’re innovative--something that separates yourself from the 300 other resumes I get.” You can bet that being fluent in Spanish and perhaps another language--scoutspeak doesn’t count--will vault you up the list.

4. Network, Baby

Almost every person in baseball has a story about meeting someone who helped them break in. (Usually, it’s Roland Hemond.) When you go to a game, talk with scouts before first pitch, ask about how they do their jobs, get their business cards, follow up with a thank-you note, take them to lunch. “Everybody likes to talk about themselves,” Dodgers assistant GM Kim Ng jokes, “and every once in a while you get a guy who just thinks you’re the greatest.” When an entry-level spot opens at their next organization meetings, they’ll remember this eager, hard-working kid they met at the ballpark. As with many industries, it’s not just who you know, but who knows you. One other tactic: Scour clubs for people who attended the same college you did. Almost everyone is predisposed to helping a fellow alum.

5. Don't Play Favorites

Even if you prefer the business side to the baseball side, the majors to the minors, administrative to on-field scouting, don’t limit yourself at the start. First, there aren’t enough positions around to be picky. Second, versatility is what will make you an attractive candidate to move up in your organization or another. “We’re a small enough industry where you get in, show what you can do,” Mets assistant GM John Ricco says. “We’re small enough where people move around early.”

6. Be Humble

You don’t know anything. Get used to it. Even if you have grand plans for streamlining player development or scouting Chinese shortstops, nothing turns off an executive more than a know-it-all. Profess a willingness to learn what you don’t know before professing what you do. Beyond that, sharp executives call smell frauds instantly. “It’s true knowledge versus fan knowledge,” Wren says. “When I detect that someone has true knowledge and a passion, then we can start going down that path. When you realize it’s just fan knowledge . . . ”

7. Forget The Great Debate

Raising the torch for either traditional scouting or new statistical methods is for bar rooms, not interview rooms. And a contemptuous smirk at either side will show you the other side of the door almost instantly. Even if you have a predisposition toward one camp or the other, demonstrate that you can play nice with others. If you’re a former player, show you want to learn about the administrative side. If you’re an MBA, say you want to dive into on-field scouting. Or better yet, show that you already have started either process on your own. Arguments can be healthy--but only after you earn respect, not demand it.

8. Advance Scout

Study the background of every baseball person you might come into contact with. Know where they played, who their managers were. Know the scout who signed them. Know what route they took into their current position. Ask unprompted questions like, “What did you learn working for the Indians under Hank Peters?” This will help you on two levels: One, you’ll appear knowledgeable with an appreciation for the game’s history, and two, it’s a subtle stroke of the ego that works.

9. Be Persistent

Jobs open up so infrequently that you need to follow up with your contacts to reaffirm your interest and make sure nothing slips past you. But also remember you’re one of hundreds of candidates, and current executives have far more pressing matters to worry about than whether you’re the person for a far-off entry-level opening. “Be persistent, but not a pest,” Tigers GM Dave Dombrowski says. “Use common sense.” One or two memorable conversations will always go further than 10 just-checking-ins.

10. Get Beyond Passion

Nothing will kill your candidacy more than the oft-used line, “I just want to work in baseball.” It sounds humble, earnest and passionate--but betrays a misunderstanding of what teams truly value. They aren’t hiring people who want to be in baseball--they’re hiring people who can do the job. Will you be an important part of their operation? Can you do things no one else can? Will you make it easier for your higher-ups to get their own jobs done? That is what they’ll pay you for. If you’re lucky.

No question these tactics work. Although I have worked in MLB for several years you never know who you are going to be working for NEXT year.

icehole3
12-24-2005, 05:01 PM
congradulations, I always believe that good things happen to good people.

KronoRed
12-24-2005, 05:15 PM
Congrats TC2 :)

Betterread
12-25-2005, 02:25 PM
Congratulations on your new job. Tampa has a lot of young talent in need of skill development. Work hard, learn all you can, and then when you learn some secrets of effective pitching development get a job with the Reds organization!

kaldaniels
12-26-2005, 09:41 AM
Congratulations and best of luck with the Rays!

TeamCasey
12-26-2005, 12:30 PM
Congratulations, TC2!

:)

Joseph
12-26-2005, 12:37 PM
Many congrats, and much good luck.

Gallen5862
12-26-2005, 03:41 PM
Congratulations Teamclark.