PDA

View Full Version : Xbox, Playstation2, or Game Cube

11-23-2005, 07:04 PM
I searched for this but came up empty- wasn't a thread on here about thisa a while back? I am considering buying my kids a system for Christmas. I know there are these 3. I am not interersted in DVD playing abilities, or playiong on line, or downloads. They are ages 8 and 4. I wouldn't play much, except with them. I don't know the difference between these 3, and I am not ointerested in 360 or PS3. Any advice or opinions? Thanks.

Reds4Life
11-23-2005, 07:10 PM
I'd say Playstation 2. That platform has tons of games available and new releases typically come out for PS2 sooner than XBOX.

Redsfaithful
11-23-2005, 07:21 PM
For kids that young go with the Game Cube. Nintendo aims for that age group quite a bit, and it shows with their games. Lots of kid friendly stuff that doesn't suck.

savafan
11-23-2005, 08:13 PM
I have the PS2 and I love it.

There are games for:
Spongebob Squarepants
Lemony Snicket
Harry Potter
Polar Express

I'm sure there are other kid friendly games as well

jmcclain19
11-23-2005, 08:36 PM
The Gamecube is definitely aimed more at younger kids - without a doubt.

But the PS2 just has many more game choices.

Honestly, you really can't go wrong with either of those two.

The Xbox is something I wouldn't give too much thought too, it's aimed at older teens/adults.

savafan
11-23-2005, 08:42 PM
They can grow into the PS2!

KronoRed
11-23-2005, 11:46 PM
They can grow into the PS2!
By the time they grow into it the ps3 will be half price ;)

GAC
11-24-2005, 04:34 AM
For kids that young go with the Game Cube. Nintendo aims for that age group quite a bit, and it shows with their games. Lots of kid friendly stuff that doesn't suck.

WE AGREE ON SOMETHING! DID EVERYONE FEEL THAT? :lol:

But RF is right. Especially for the volume of games that are age appropriate. My kids have two, and played such game variations as Sonic and the Hedghog and others. Pretty tame stuff.

Just be prepared, as the parent (pusher) to introduce your kids to something that is very, very addictive. It's too late for my kids, because they are older; but if I could do it all over again, I'd strongly regulate it because that is all my kids ever want to do - sit on their butts, get little exercise, and play video games. ;)

RedsBaron
11-24-2005, 06:26 AM
WE AGREE ON SOMETHING! DID EVERYONE FEEL THAT? :lol:

But RF is right. Especially for the volume of games that are age appropriate. My kids have two, and played such game variations as Sonic and the Hedghog and others. Pretty tame stuff.

Just be prepared, as the parent (pusher) to introduce your kids to something that is very, very addictive. It's too late for my kids, because they are older; but if I could do it all over again, I'd strongly regulate it because that is all my kids ever want to do - sit on their butts, get little exercise, and play video games. ;)
My 13 year old son lives for three activities: Playing sports, watching sports on TV, and playing videogames (mostly sports) on his PS2. He is extremely addicted to the PS2.
My 14 year old son will play his PS2 on occasion, but he isn't addicted, prefering to hunt, ride motorcycles and see his girlfriend.
My 8 year old son sometimes plays an old Nitendo.

REDREAD
11-25-2005, 10:08 AM
I just went through this 919191.. My kids are roughly your age. They're getting a gamecube for Christmas. There was far more age appropriate games that were readily available, IMO.

beb30
11-25-2005, 11:58 AM
for kids that are 8 and 4 id go with game cube u cant go wrong when ur that age with Super Mario games

Red Leader
11-25-2005, 12:53 PM
We bought our oldest son a GameCube two Christmas' ago. He never really seemed to cling to it (not that I mind). He plays it about once every month or so. We have SpongeBob, Mario, Tony Hawk, SSX, SSX2, SSX tricky, a bunch of motorcycle-motocross games, and a BMX game.

He enjoys them when he plays, but like I said, he doesn't play often. Your usage may vary.

ghettochild
11-25-2005, 01:17 PM
gamecube for the kids, the controllers are more suited for the kids, as are the ps2 controllers.

for the xbox though it seems like you're holding a freaking watermellon in your hands its so huge.

most console systems usually carry the same games, but to me its all about controller size...which is where i'd probably chose the gamecube.

11-25-2005, 02:16 PM
I went with the Game Cube- got the Mario Game Cube Game Bundle- has a Mario game and an extra controller for 99 bucks. All this from the comfort of my seat here- I like on line shopping! I still need to get a memory card, but there's plenty of time for that. Thanks for all your advice!

REDREAD
11-25-2005, 04:04 PM
Myers had a nice mem card (over 1000 blocks) for about $17, it was on closeout at least at a Columbus store.

KronoRed
11-25-2005, 04:09 PM
I went with the Game Cube- got the Mario Game Cube Game Bundle- has a Mario game and an extra controller for 99 bucks. All this from the comfort of my seat here- I like on line shopping! I still need to get a memory card, but there's plenty of time for that. Thanks for all your advice!
Get Mario Kart..best game ever.

paintmered
11-25-2005, 06:44 PM
Get Mario Kart..best game ever.

Not for gamecube though, IMO.

Caveat Emperor
11-25-2005, 08:24 PM
Not for gamecube though, IMO.

Nope, the N64 Super Mario Kart is still the best in the series (and the best competitive racing game ever made).

I'd also concur with the GameCube as being the system to go with. There are a lot of great younger-crowd games, and some great platform-specfic titles that you can't get on PS2 and XBox.

Especially the Mario and Zelda games -- the Gamecube is literally worth owning for those two sets alone.

Roy Tucker
11-28-2005, 07:57 AM
Late comer chiming in...

PS2 or GameCube is best. PS2 has a bazillion games to get and you can probably get one cheap. Xbox games tend to be pretty pricey.

Not to be sexist, but boys seem to gravitate to gaming systems more than girls. Set time limits and put it someplace where you can keep an eye on it.