PDA

View Full Version : once a Cowboy, always a Cowboy

savafan
11-28-2005, 09:21 AM
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2005-11-27-irvin-drug-charge_x.htm

DALLAS (AP) Former Dallas Cowboys receiver Michael Irvin was charged with misdemeanor possession of drug paraphernalia after Plano police officers searched his vehicle during a traffic stop.

Irvin, an ESPN analyst and semifinalist for the Pro Football Hall of Fame, told The Associated Press late Sunday that the drug pipe found in his car belonged to a friend of 17 years who left a Houston rehab center and came to Irvin's house in Carrollton for Thanksgiving. Irvin wouldn't reveal his friend's name.

Irvin said he put the pipe in his car because he didn't want it in his house where his children might find it. He said he planned to drive somewhere the next day, like a grocery trash bin, and throw the pipe away but forgot.

"It's a situation that is not as it seemed," said Irvin, whose voice was choked with emotion during the telephone conversation.

"I know the type of demons they have to fight and I am going to help them, because it's the only way I can keep them from getting to my family. I have to clean up my friends because they are around my boys. It's upsetting."

Irvin was arrested on an outstanding warrant for speeding in Irving after being pulled over Friday afternoon for speeding in Plano. Irvin said he thought he had paid the outstanding ticket.

Irvin paid a fine on the speeding ticket and posted bond on the drug paraphernalia possession charge. He was released about an hour after he was pulled over.

Irvin was a member of three Super Bowl championship teams with the Cowboys. Asked how this kind of publicity might affect his chances of induction into the Hall of Fame, Irvin said his helping his friends are more important.

"The whole thing means such a great deal for me, and hopefully one day it will be there," Irvin said. "But my friends and my family mean a little more. I would rather be helping them, even if it hurts that."

In 1996, Irvin pleaded no contest to felony cocaine possession in exchange for four years of deferred probation, a $10,000 fine and dismissal of misdemeanor marijuana possession charges. Irvin said Sunday he's always been transparent and open about his issues in the past, and now wants to help others through those same problems.

Irvin holds Cowboys records for catches (750), receiving yards (11,904) and 100-yard games (47), including a team-record seven in a row in 1991.

ESPN said it has spoken to Irvin, who will still appear on the network Monday as an analyst.

"We've talked to Michael, who explained the situation to us the way he did to the AP, and we will continue to talk with Michael," ESPN spokesman Josh Krulewitz said. "But you can expect to see him on Monday Night Countdown on Monday evening."

Redsland
11-28-2005, 10:20 AM
Well, that explains some of his "analysis."

Reds4Life
11-28-2005, 10:37 AM

I swear on one of the pre-game shows a few weeks ago he looked stoned, his eyes were glazed over and he was slightly slurring his words. :thumbdown

Johnny Footstool
11-28-2005, 11:16 AM

And most of his wardrobe choices.

http://www.wapl.com/prints/Michael_Irvin.jpg

http://www.emmyonline.org/emmy_images/24thsports/michael.irving.jpg

http://eur.yimg.com/i/xp/premier_photo/6/6164a6b9bc.jpg

RedFanAlways1966
11-28-2005, 12:27 PM
"It's a situation that is not as it seemed," said Irvin, whose voice was choked with emotion during the telephone conversation.

Uh, umm... okay. Reminds me of "The Shawshank Redemption" when someone says, "Don't you realize that everyone in this prison is innocent?"

So what if Irvin has prior convictions relative to drugs? Hey... it is not as it seems. Spoken like a true drug-addict in denial who thinks everyone else in the world is dumber than him (and that is pretty stupid).

I am shocked that a man who is "college educated" would make such stupid decisions. I would have thought those high-level academic classes that he surely took while at the Univ. of Miami would have made him smarter. Imagine that...

So Rush gets let go from his football analyst gig. Will Michael get released from his? Two different circumstances, but both deserve the same end... YOU ARE FIRED. Do not be shocked if the ending is not the same. But try to remember the words of the honest & upstanding citizen Michael Irvin, "It is not as it seemed". What a great person...

MWM
11-28-2005, 12:48 PM
I'm no fan of Irvin and am pretty skeptical of his story, but the whole story isn't out yet and it seems like we should wait until it is before we convict the guy. If the person who's pipe it supposedly was surfaces and admits to it, then I'll believe him.

Redsland
11-28-2005, 01:56 PM
But when two cheerleaders are accused of a crime, they get fired immediately.

Chip R
11-28-2005, 01:57 PM
But when two cheerleaders are accused of a crime, they get fired immediately.

Life ain't fair, is it?

Redsland
11-28-2005, 02:05 PM
Not usually. But that was the first time I noticed chesty womenfolk getting the short end.

:)

redsfan30
11-28-2005, 02:27 PM
Oh oh oh!!......but he's from "The U." Nothing like that ever happened/happens at "The U."

:rolleyes:

Blimpie
11-29-2005, 01:05 PM
I'll bet that Irvin was taken aback yesterday when one of his homeboys (Dan Patrick) put him on the spot and asked him to submit to a drug test. For those of you scoring at home, Michael claimed that he would have to "consult his attorney first"

Uhm...Never mind, Mike. I think we're pretty good on this end.

RedFanAlways1966
11-29-2005, 03:44 PM
I'll bet that Irvin was taken aback yesterday when one of his homeboys (Dan Patrick) put him on the spot and asked him to submit to a drug test. For those of you scoring at home, Michael claimed that he would have to "consult his attorney first"

Uhm...Never mind, Mike. I think we're pretty good on this end.

Imagine that! I am sure it has to do with Michael's secret love for Sammy Sosa. They are both "non-users" who just need to make sure they are not being setup... of course. Drugs? Those two? Cannot see it...

SWAMPLAND FOR SALE! COME AND GET IT! :laugh:

redsfan30
11-29-2005, 03:52 PM
Why would Dan Patrick make that statement? I used to like him, but it seems like everytime I see SportsCenter he is being extremely rude to whoever he is interviewing by raising his voice and getting personal if he doesn't get the answer he wants.

I understand wanting to ask the "tough questions." But it just seems to me that Patrick goes over the line an awful lot and that he thinks people are watching him, not the person he's interviewing.

Blimpie
11-29-2005, 04:06 PM
In my opinion, it's all about the ratings. I believe his show even teased the appearance as "the exclusive first interview with Michael Irvin since his arrest."

marcshoe
11-29-2005, 04:13 PM
The pipe wasn't his. It belonged to Miguel Tejada. :rolleyes:

MWM
11-29-2005, 04:31 PM
There's a pretty simple solution; turn in the guy whose pipe it was. If he won't do that, I have a hard time believing him.

Puffy
11-29-2005, 04:35 PM
There's a pretty simple solution; turn in the guy whose pipe it was. If he won't do that, I have a hard time believing him.

Come on, if this was a friend of yours would you turn him in? Cause if you answer yes then I'd lose a lot of respect for you.

He needs to pee in a cup - and if I was his attorney you can bet your butt that I would have told him "If Dan Patrick asks you whether you are going to pee in a cup or not, you throw it back on me, cause you don't want to commit to something that might become unnecessary."

And I wonder - if this turns out to be true (and I have no dog in this show - I am a Giant fan so Irvin was no friend of mine, although I like him on ESPN) then will all of you who have convicted him already be just as quick to admit how wrong you were??

Blimpie
11-29-2005, 04:41 PM
I can't really say that I have "convicted" Irvin of anything at this point. He is guilty, however, of being terribly ill-prepared for a nationally syndicated radio interview put together by his employer for the sole purpose of rehabilitating his shaky image.

For what it's worth, I don't give up the friend's name. But I sure as hell make it clear that he better be prepared to give himself up--instead of forcing me to commit career suicide.

pedro
11-29-2005, 04:43 PM
Why didn't he throw the pipe away? That would have made more sense than putting it in his car.

Puffy
11-29-2005, 04:47 PM
For what it's worth, I don't give up the friend's name. But I sure as hell make it clear that he better be prepared to give himself up--instead of forcing me to commit career suicide.

Oh, this I agree with - the friend should step up on his own.

But if I'm Irvin I wouldn't release his name cause thats not what friends do.

WMR
11-29-2005, 04:48 PM
I think Patrick asking him to submit to a drug test is great. That's the question that he should be asked, and if he refuses to do so, he can blame it on his lawyer or whatever he wants to do, but, IMO, a refusal to clear his name in the only conclusive way available means he's still using drugs.

No other reason to avoid the only truly conclusive way to prove you aren't still using drugs (IMO).

I think he's still on dope. I heard his little diddy with Stewart Scott and he sounded like a liar to me.

Why hesitate to take a drug test when you know everyone either secretly or publicly suspects you are drugged up unless you know the results will be bad?

marcshoe
11-29-2005, 04:49 PM
Why didn't he throw the pipe away? That would have made more sense than putting it in his car.

As the guy who sits beside me at work asked today, "was he afraid his kids would go through the garbage?"

Some day, some celebrity will be arrested, admit guilt, and the world will collapse in on itself and disappear.

Puffy
11-29-2005, 04:51 PM
I think Patrick asking him to submit to a drug test is great. That's the question that he should be asked, and if he refuses to do so, he can blame it on his lawyer or whatever he wants to do, but it means he's still using drugs.

No other reason to avoid the only truly conclusive way to prove you aren't still using drugs.

Dude, you're in Law School - you think him not committing to a drug test on National TV "means he's still using drugs"

Come on, use those skills they are teaching you in class. There are many reasons why you don't commit to such a thing on a national radio show. Privacy issues, employment issues, etc. Never commit to anything until you HAVE to.

Red Leader
11-29-2005, 04:52 PM

His story was that he didn't throw it away at his house because he's had people go through his garbage before and didn't want someone to find it.

He was going to throw it away later in the day at a grocery store dumpster, but after eating turkey he took a nap and forgot about it.

For the record, I happen to believe most of Irvin's story. I think he is clean, and is protecting a friend. I think the pipe was his friends. I have a hard time believing that he "forgot about it" after eating turkey and taking a nap, however.

If I knew I had a crack pipe in my car and I didn't want to throw it away in my trash, you can bet I'd be thinking of how to get rid of it non stop until it was actually thrown away and disposed of.

WMR
11-29-2005, 04:53 PM

He "didn't want it around his kids."

As if he doesn't have a plethora of spots in what I am sure is a mansion where he puts stuff he wants kept "out of his kids reach."

The only type of person I can imagine driving around with a crack-pipe in their car is a, well, um, crackhead.

He said he patted his friend down as he came into his house for Thanksgiving and found it while searching his person. puh-leeeease. Not to mention it has come out now that he gave a statement to police officers contradictory to what he has said publicly.

WMR
11-29-2005, 04:56 PM
Dude, you're in Law School - you think him not committing to a drug test on National TV "means he's still using drugs"

Come on, use those skills they are teaching you in class. There are many reasons why you don't commit to such a thing on a national radio show. Privacy issues, employment issues, etc. Never commit to anything until you HAVE to.

If he is clean, why hesitate?

I know that if I got caught with a crack pipe that belonged to a friend and had been convicted of numerous drug offenses, I'd be doing more than just SAYING "I'll do whatever it takes to clear my name."

If he was going to say such a thing--which he did--he shouldn't hesitate for a second to jump at the chance to take a drug test.

It's the same reason spouses often jump at the chance to take a lie-detector test when their husband/wife has been murdered. They aren't forced to by law, but if you know you are innocent, why hesitate to do it?

marcshoe
11-29-2005, 04:58 PM
I actually want to believe him. He's more entertaining than most commentators, and I'd like to see him stick around. But at this point, I'm so jaded about this sort of thing that I don't think I'd even believe a protest of innocence out of Sean Casey if he were arrested.

I'm just tired of it all.

Red Leader
11-29-2005, 04:59 PM
What I heard.

He patted his friend down as he came into his house for Thanksgiving dinner (as WMRocks said). He didn't want a confrontation in his house so he took his buddy out to his car to discuss the issue. He put the pipe in his car at that time because he didn't want it in the house with his kids there, and didn't want to throw it in the trash because people (neighbors, strangers) have gone through his trash before. He went back inside and they ate dinner. He layed on the couch and fell asleep after dinner. The guests left. He went to bed. They got up the next morning and he and his wife went furniture shopping. They were pulled over for speeding and he had an outstanding warrant. The police officer told him he had to book him for the outstanding warrant and that he could pay the fines and leave. He consented to the officer searching the car (dumb) and forgot the pipe was still in his car. The officer told him it wasn't a big deal, just a possession charge and that he could pay that fine along with the warrant fine and be released. Another one of his friends paid his way out and he was released.

Blimpie
11-29-2005, 05:00 PM
Why didn't he throw the pipe away? That would have made more sense than putting it in his car.To be honest Pedro, his story was waaaay too elaborate for me to repeat accurately. But, heck--I'll give it a stab on the condensed version:

You see, this "friend" of his was placed in rehab the weekend before last. Michael gets a phone call on set of NFL Countdown that informs him that said "friend" has decided that rehab sucks and has flown the coop. :thumbdown "Friend" shows up on Michael's doorstep on Thanksgiving Day and is welcomed with open arms....:luvu: only after Michael's arms are used to pat him down. Whadayaknow? "Friend" is holding crack pipe--but no crack. :confused: Michael says to him, "Friend, I understand your demons but you cannot bring that thing into my house on Thanksgiving." :nono: Because Michael is a public figure in Dallas, he fears that people are constantly searching through his trash. :rolleyes: Thus, instead of throwing the pipe in the trash...he puts it in his glove box. Next day, Michael decides it would be a good day to surpass the posted speed limit in Plano, Texas and is pulled over. Zoinks! Michael has a bench warrant out on him for unpaid tickets. :fineprint Do not pass go...do not collect $ 200.00. But first, officer asks if he has Michael's consent to search vehicle. "Sure officer, what could possibly go wron...." :bang: Pipe is found and now it ain't about speeding or unpaid parking tickets no mo.

Whew....my head hurts.

WMR
11-29-2005, 05:00 PM
you think him not committing to a drug test on National TV "means he's still using drugs"

Sorry about that, JMO, I edited my post accordingly.

pedro
11-29-2005, 05:02 PM
What I heard.

He patted his friend down as he came into his house for Thanksgiving dinner (as WMRocks said). He didn't want a confrontation in his house so he took his buddy out to his car to discuss the issue. He put the pipe in his car at that time because he didn't want it in the house with his kids there, and didn't want to throw it in the trash because people (neighbors, strangers) have gone through his trash before. He went back inside and they ate dinner. He layed on the couch and fell asleep after dinner. The guests left. He went to bed. They got up the next morning and he and his wife went furniture shopping. They were pulled over for speeding and he had an outstanding warrant. The police officer told him he had to book him for the outstanding warrant and that he could pay the fines and leave. He consented to the officer searching the car (dumb) and forgot the pipe was still in his car. The officer told him it wasn't a big deal, just a possession charge and that he could pay that fine along with the warrant fine and be released. Another one of his friends paid his way out and he was released.

That makes it sound to me like it was a pot pipe and not a crack pipe. Crack Cocaine is a felony IIRC and you wouldn't just get fined for having a pipe, you'd get arrested. Pot OTOH.......

WMR
11-29-2005, 05:05 PM

If he was a private citizen, Puffy, I'd say no way should he take a drug test.

As a public figure, however, he needs to, IMO, prove that he isn't using crack if he wants to keep his job as a public broadcaster. Pedro's retelling of Irvin's story makes Irvin's story more plausible, but he shouldn't be allowed to continue working on ESPN if this "story" is the only explanation/proof of innocence that he is required to give.

As a public figure, he should be held to a higher standard than what is dictated by black letter law.

Blimpie
11-29-2005, 05:08 PM
That makes it sound to me like it was a pot pipe and not a crack pipe. Crack Cocaine is a felony IIRC and you wouldn't just get fined for having a pipe, you'd get arrested. Pot OTOH.......I thought the same thing because the KY statutes read:

crack pipe = mandatory felony charge
pot pipe = UK Basketball player has been in your car

Just kidding WilyMo...

pedro
I thought the same thing because the KY statutes read:

Just kidding WilyMo...

:laugh:

WMR
HAHAHAHAHAHA; oh blimpie you are bad.

Blimpie
11-29-2005, 05:10 PM

As a public figure, however, he needs to, IMO, prove that he isn't using crack if he wants to keep his job as a public broadcaster. Pedro's retelling of Irvin's story makes Irvin's story more plausible, but he shouldn't be allowed to continue working on ESPN if this "story" is the only explanation/proof of innocence that he is required to give.

As a public figure, he should be held to a higher standard than what is dictated by black letter law.Not to mention the fact that Michael has already lost one network analyst job (FOX SPORTS NET) due to his drug charges. ESPN was his "last chance in broadcasting" IIRC

Red Leader
11-29-2005, 05:10 PM
I like Blimpie's story the best so far....:D

MWM
11-29-2005, 05:13 PM
Come on, if this was a friend of yours would you turn him in? Cause if you answer yes then I'd lose a lot of respect for you.

Well, I watched his interview with Stewart Scott and he said he'd be willing to do ANYTHING he's asked to clear his name. Legally, he shouldn't turn anyone in unless he's forced to. And he shouldn't submit to a drug test unless he has to either. But that's all legally. If I were in his situation, I'd be more worried about the legal implications over anything else. But if he wants to clear his name, he's going to have to provide evidence to the public that his story is credible. Personally, if his story is true, then he should say to hell with clearing my name and what the public thinks. I'd be worried about staying out of jail first and protecting a friend second.

I just think this stops becoming about friendship if it means Irvin's going to jail. Would you go to jail rather than turn in a friend? I'm not suggesting it WILL come to that, but speaking hypothetically, I know what I'd do if it did come to that. And what if this costs Irvin his livelihood? Is it worth protecting a friend if it costs you your ability to earn a living? I don't think there's one right answer here. It's a complicated issue, but I also don't think it's as simple as "that's not what friends do." If the friend's actions might land me in jail unless I tell the truth, I'd think long and hard about just how important that friendship is and if a real friend would bring a crack pipe to my home where my family resides and risk getting me in legal trouble, especially considering my history.

Now if he pees in a cup and it comes out clean, then the story is over. But if he doesn't, he needs to consider himself along with his friend.

Blimpie
11-29-2005, 05:13 PM
I like Blimpie's story the best so far....:DTell Chip that I have mad skills in the radio interview transcribing field and I'm gunning for his gig with the Hot Stove League...:beerme:

Puffy
11-29-2005, 05:14 PM

As a public figure, he should be held to a higher standard than what is dictated by black letter law.

And I'm not disagreeing with you - if you look at the last page I stated that he is going to need to take a drug test.

But I was more commenting on how you stated that the fact that he didn't immediately consent meant, in your mind, that he was still using. I don't think thats the conclusion you should draw and being in law school I was saying that shouldn't be the conclusion you draw.

I don't practice criminal law, and really don't know much about it (cept for what I took in school and studying for the bar) but I do know that you never commit to something until you have to.

What if the friend comes forward tomorrow - the media will still be on Irvin to take the test cause he said he would, and bang, now he's stuck. The police could drop the charges and bang, he's still commited to taking the test.

Forget whether or not he is using, there are still privacy issues here and employment issues, and he shouldn't commit to these type things if he doesn't have to.

Oh, and I wasn't putting you down for thinking the way you were, its just that you, being where you are, need to step back and not take sides sometimes, cause law school is about seeing various sides to all problems and waiting for all the facts before making a stand.

WMR
11-29-2005, 05:14 PM
I thought the same thing because the KY statutes read:

Just kidding WilyMo...

I'll never forget that one story when Jules Camara (6' 11) tried to climb from the frontseat to the backseat while in the process of being pulled over to avoid a DUI.

If only the Cops Show had been filming that one.

marcshoe
11-29-2005, 05:16 PM
AP says marijuana pipe, btw.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AkHrp5k0C5TWcknCgd79DXRDubYF?slug=ap-irvinarrested&prov=ap&type=lgns

MWM
11-29-2005, 05:18 PM
Marijuana pipe changes things. Who cares about a little pot. Not me! Make it legal already.

Puffy
11-29-2005, 05:19 PM
Well, I watched his interview with Stewart Scott and he said he'd be willing to do ANYTHING he's asked to clear his name. Legally, he shouldn't turn anyone in unless he's forced to. And he shouldn't submit to a drug test unless he has to either. But that's all legally. If I were in his situation, I'd be more worried about the legal implications over anything else. But if he wants to clear his name, he's going to have to provide evidence to the public that his story is credible. Personally, if his story is true, then he should say to hell with clearing my name and what the public thinks. I'd be worried about staying out of jail first and protecting a friend second.

I just think this stops becoming about friendship if it means Irvin's going to jail. Would you go to jail rather than turn in a friend? I'm not suggesting it WILL come to that, but speaking hypothetically, I know what I'd do if it did come to that. And what if this costs Irvin his livelihood? Is it worth protecting a friend if it costs you your ability to earn a living? I don't think there's one right answer here. It's a complicated issue, but I also don't think it's as simple as "that's not what friends do." If the friend's actions might land me in jail unless I tell the truth, I'd think long and hard about just how important that friendship is and if a real friend would bring a crack pipe to my home where my family resides and risk getting me in legal trouble, especially considering my history.

Now if he pees in a cup and it comes out clean, then the story is over. But if he doesn't, he needs to consider himself along with his friend.

Fair enough - but that is a little different than your first post which stated the only way you'll believe him is if he gives the name of his friend.

I am still of the opinion that he is going to need a drug test to prove his story. And yes, if it came down to jail or turning over a friend, well there is no easy, or correct, answer there. But thats a long way away.

WMR
11-29-2005, 05:19 PM
And I'm not disagreeing with you - if you look at the last page I stated that he is going to need to take a drug test.

But I was more commenting on how you stated that the fact that he didn't immediately consent meant, in your mind, that he was still using. I don't think thats the conclusion you should draw and being in law school I was saying that shouldn't be the conclusion you draw.

I don't practice criminal law, and really don't know much about it (cept for what I took in school and studying for the bar) but I do know that you never commit to something until you have to.

What if the friend comes forward tomorrow - the media will still be on Irvin to take the test cause he said he would, and bang, now he's stuck. The police could drop the charges and bang, he's still commited to taking the test.

Forget whether or not he is using, there are still privacy issues here and employment issues, and he shouldn't commit to these type things if he doesn't have to.

Oh, and I wasn't putting you down for thinking the way you were, its just that you, being where you are, need to step back and not take sides sometimes, cause law school is about seeing various sides to all problems and waiting for all the facts before making a stand.

Hey, thanks a lot for that advice. :)

I guess like a few other people have said, we hear this same refrain over and over, and I definitely probably jumped the gun a little bit.

(maybe also b/c, as you so aptly described it, law school is so much about refusing to take a side, it's a little fun to get on here and play the merciless prosecutor sometimes) ;)

WMR
11-29-2005, 05:21 PM
Marijuana pipe changes things. Who cares about a little pot. Not me! Make it legal already.

I concur with your opinion if it indeed was a marijuana pipe.

MWM
11-29-2005, 05:21 PM
Fair enough - but that is a little different than your first post which stated the only way you'll believe him is if he gives the name of his friend.

I am still of the opinion that he is going to need a drug test to prove his story. And yes, if it came down to jail or turning over a friend, well there is no easy, or correct, answer there. But thats a long way away.

That's what it sounded like by what I wrote, but I didn't mean it so literally. One way or another, if he wants to "clear his name", he's going to have to provide some kind of proof. But honestly, it really makes no difference at all if I, or anyone else, believe him.

Puffy
11-29-2005, 05:26 PM
Hey, thanks a lot for that advice. :)

I guess like a few other people have said, we hear this same refrain over and over, and I definitely probably jumped the gun a little bit.

(maybe also b/c, as you so aptly described it, law school is so much about refusing to take a side, it's a little fun to get on here and play the merciless prosecutor sometimes) ;)

Hey man, I had that problem with Labor Law. I keep reading these cases and thinking there is no way the Employer loses this case, they did nothing wrong, and bang, the ALJ completely does the opposite of what I thought, and I'd go to class furious. And then the professor would explain it (and he was a bit of a jerk, but funny as all heck - he actually walked out of the last day of class cause nobody raised their hand to discuss a case. Didn't discuss the final, nothing, just said, if you guys don't want to volunteer you're on your own and responsible for the material), but anyway, I would be flabbergasted at the cases cause I couldn't believe the decisions.

Anyway, sometimes you gotta divorce yourself from your presuppositions and just look at what you can prove and what you can't, and go from there - even if its against everything you feel.

savafan
11-30-2005, 12:26 PM
According to the smoking gun website, Irvin told cops the pipe belonged to his brother and then told the AP that it belonged to a friend of 17 years.

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/1128052irvin1.html

NOVEMBER 28--Michael Irvin fingered his brother when Texas cops discovered a drug pipe during a traffic stop Friday afternoon in Plano. According to a Municipal Court citation obtained by TSG, cops found the "multi-colored pipe w/ marijuana residue" inside a Versace sunglass case that was tucked under the driver's seat of a 2005 Mercedes Benz coupe driven by the former Dallas Cowboys star. Cops noted that the sunglass case also contained a silver lighter and "plastic baggies w/ marijuana residue" and quoted Irvin, who was charged with misdemeanor possession of drug paraphernalia, as saying, "It's my brother's. He left it in there." Irvin, who now works as an ESPN analyst, yesterday told the Associated Press that the pipe belonged to a friend of 17 years who had just left a Texas drug rehab facility. Irvin, who would not identify this supposed friend, said that he had confiscated the pipe from the crony, with whom he was celebrating Thanksgiving. Irvin, a semifinalist this year for the NFL Hall of Fame, claimed that he simply forgot to discard the pipe. Irvin, pictured below in a Plano Police Department mug shot, was traveling with his wife Sandy when pulled over for speeding. Since the court citation, a copy of which you'll find on succeeding pages, had not yet surfaced, Irvin was not called on by the AP to explain why the pipe was hidden inside the Versace stash case (along with the lighter and those pot-infused baggies) and safely tucked under his seat. Irvin's rap sheet includes a 1996 no contest plea to felony cocaine possession and an August 2000 marijuana bust, though that pot charge was later dropped. We tried to reach Irvin via his cell phone (sorry, we had to redact the number from the citation), but all we got was a recording announcing that his mailbox was full and was not accepting new messages.

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/graphics/art3/1128052irvin1.jpg

RedFanAlways1966
11-30-2005, 01:19 PM
According to the smoking gun website, Irvin told cops the pipe belonged to his brother and then told the AP that it belonged to a friend of 17 years.

Boy, oh boy... Michael's version(s) keeps getting fuzzier by the moment. Perhaps this is a side-effect suffered by crack smokers? Maybe he meant that his crack-smoking friend is like a brother to him. I am sure that is what he meant. Let's ask his lawyer...

To his defenders.... SWAMPLAND FOR SALE!! COME AND GET IT!! :laugh:

GAC
11-30-2005, 08:20 PM
He said on ESPN radio that if ESPN requested he take a drug test that he would.

Step up to the plate ESPN. ;)

OldRightHander
12-01-2005, 09:23 AM
Not to bring race into this, but when a black man says brother, how many times does it mean a biological relation?

Blimpie
12-01-2005, 04:49 PM
Let the fallout begin...

ESPN suspends Irvin for one week
/ Associated Press
Posted: 12 minutes ago

DALLAS (AP) - Michael Irvin says he has been suspended by ESPN for one week for not telling the network about his arrest last week, when police found a drug pipe hidden in his car during a traffic stop.

Irvin, who has maintained that the pipe belonged to a friend, told The Associated Press on Thursday that he won't return to the air until Dec. 11. He was arrested Friday in Plano, Texas, for an outstanding warrant on an unpaid speeding ticket but was charged with misdemeanor possession of drug paraphernalia after police searched his car.
ESPN did not learn of Irvin's arrest until reporters began calling the network Sunday night. Irvin said he didn't tell the network about his arrest because he was scared.

"I was just scared, hoping and praying that maybe it would go away," Irvin said. "I was told that I paid the fine and it was over. I was hoping it was over."

ESPN spokesman Josh Krulewitz said the network doesn't comment on specific personnel records. On Monday, the network had said it expected Irvin to appear on the air Sunday for NFL Countdown.

Irvin, a former wide receiver with the Dallas Cowboys and semifinalist for the Pro Football Hall of Fame, said he had no problem with the suspension.

"Being an employee and not giving them the information, certainly it's fair," Irvin said.

Plastic baggies with marijuana residue were found in a sunglasses case along with the pipe in Irvin's car. Irvin said he put the items there after finding them on a friend who arrived at his house in Carrollton, Texas, on Thanksgiving. Irvin said he planned to throw the items away but forgot.

Irvin had said his friend, whom he's known for 17 years, had checked himself out of a Houston rehab center earlier in the week.

Irvin was driving with his wife in the car Friday afternoon when he was pulled over for going 78 mph in a 60 mph zone. Irvin was released after paying a $335 fine for the arrest warrant and a $256 bond. The paraphernalia charge is a Class C misdemeanor, punishable by up to a $500 fine.

Irvin said Thursday he's been in "shutdown mode" since the story broke, not checking phone messages or watching television. He said the arrest won't deter him from continuing to help his friends but said he would now handle a similar situation differently - namely, by not touching anything.

"I need to take a better approach toward things," Irvin said.

In 1996, Irvin pleaded no contest to felony cocaine possession in exchange for four years of deferred probation, a $10,000 fine and dismissal of misdemeanor marijuana possession charges. He also was arrested on drug possession charges in 2000, but they were later dropped.

Irvin won three Super Bowls in four years with the Dallas Cowboys as part of an offense that also featured Troy Aikman and Emmitt Smith. A vocal, emotional leader, he set every significant career receiving mark in team history before retiring because of an injury suffered in 1999.

Redsland
12-02-2005, 01:56 PM
Frolicking lesbian cheerleaders? Fired.

Drug paraphernalia-toting, priors-having, TV personality and former athlete with an outstanding warrant? Week's vacation.

Just sayin'.

savafan
12-02-2005, 02:07 PM

Drug paraphernalia-toting, priors-having, TV personality and former athlete with an outstanding warrant? Week's vacation.

Just sayin'.

It's not right, is it? :bang:

Jaycint
12-02-2005, 02:16 PM

I'll go ahead and put it out there, I'm willing to hire the two fired cheerleaders to perform in my living room during the Bengals game this weekend. :)

Redsland
12-02-2005, 03:53 PM
I'm sure they'll mull that offer over, along with the $600,000 Penthouse offered.

:eek:

Jaycint
12-02-2005, 06:09 PM
For 600 G's I'd expect a lot more than pictures. :D