PDA

View Full Version : Chad Johnson is good for marital harmony

OldRightHander
11-28-2005, 12:45 PM
My wife used to leave the room or go shopping between the hours of 1:00 and 4:00 every Sunday during football season. She also used to get a little miffed that I was always wanting to come home right after church to watch the game. She would say that since I don't see every Reds game, it wouldn't hurt to miss a Bengals game or two. My argument was always that they only play once a week and there are only 16 games in the season, so it's not the same as missing a couple baseball games out of a long season. A few weeks ago she happened to walk into the room when Chad was doing one of his end zone dances and she had a really good laugh about it. Now she stays in the living room with me when I'm watching the game because she wants to see what Chad is going to do if he scores. It amuses her and she thinks that he looks like he is having a lot of fun on the field. I won't say she's becoming a fan, but having her at least passively watch the games with me is something of a start.

Blimpie
11-28-2005, 01:45 PM
This may be somewhat verboten to mention around these parts...but I, for one, am getting a little tired of Chad's endzone antics. He is so exciting to watch play football, I would just hate to see him evolve into a caricature of himself (and no, I did NOT mention Ickey Woods).

ORH: I am all for doing whatever it takes to ensure marital bliss, but I just wish Chad would gear it down a few notches. Act like you've been there before.

flyer85
11-28-2005, 01:49 PM
The game has changed so much. I think the real reason guys didn't celebrate like that 40 years ago was because they were guys like Sam Huff, Chuck Bednarik and Dick Butkus patrolling the middle of the field. Clotheslining was legal back then.

gonelong
11-28-2005, 01:54 PM
I appreciate the guys that just hand the ball over to the official as much as I appreciate the guys that are having some good clean fun.

I detest the guys that are dancing after knocking down a pass after they have given up 2 TDs and have their team down 14-0 in the 1st quarter.

GL

Blimpie
11-28-2005, 01:59 PM
Granted, sometimes I frighten even myself with curmudgeon-like tendencies. I cannot explain it, but it just seems all too cartoonish for me to stomach.

Maybe it's because it all harkens back to the T.O. Sharpie thing. What I thought initially as a goofball T.O. stunt has evolved into a egotistical competition amongst Chad Johnson, Randy Moss, Steve Smith, Joe Horn...blah blah blah. One thing for a WR/RB to do something for the benefit of the fans in attendance. Quite another to have a celebration "broken down" for technique by Stuart Scott.

Am I that far gone? I am only closing in on 38--not 58. But it seems like it was more like football only 5-6 years ago when Barry Sanders was scoring three TD's per game and handing the ball to the referee.

savafan
11-28-2005, 02:11 PM
I sent the url for this thread to Chad, he should get a kick out of it.

redsfan30
11-28-2005, 02:23 PM
Chad Johnson is good for the game of football. He is an outstanding talent and his endzone celebrations are in good, clean-natured fun. The celebrations alone have some people watching the games that normally wouldn't (ORH's wife). Chad Johnson does nothing but promote the game of football and the Cincinnati Bengals.

There are actually some Browns fans in my town that swear up one side and down the other that they would not want Chad Johnson anywhere near thier team because of his endzone celebrations. They say he is a cancer who only cares about himself and even with his stats, they would not take him as a member of the Cleveland Browns. My reponse to them is always well it's no wonder your team is consistantly at the bottom of the league with such foolish thinking as that.

Roy Tucker
11-28-2005, 02:28 PM
To go along with ORH's wife, my 2 daughters both wanted #85 Bengal jerseys because of Chad. And they aren't football fans at all. They just like Chad Johnson anbd what they've seen on TV.

I bought them the cheap $20 versions from Biggs and not the $150 authentic game jerseys.

westofyou
11-28-2005, 02:34 PM
#85 Bengal jerseysIsaac Curtis Jerseys

ochre
11-28-2005, 02:38 PM
Isaac Curtis Jerseys
Tim McGee.

Caveat Emperor
11-28-2005, 02:56 PM
The "Putting" celebration this week was brilliant.

I genuinely enjoy seeing what Chad Johnson has cooked up every week. He's made the Bengals "must see" television for me whenever they're on...

...and I'm saying this as a lifelong Tampa Bay Buccaneers fan.

Blimpie
11-28-2005, 03:14 PM
Chad Johnson is good for the game of football. He is an outstanding talent and his endzone celebrations are in good, clean-natured fun. The celebrations alone have some people watching the games that normally wouldn't (ORH's wife). Chad Johnson does nothing but promote the game of football and the Cincinnati Bengals.

There are actually some Browns fans in my town that swear up one side and down the other that they would not want Chad Johnson anywhere near thier team because of his endzone celebrations. They say he is a cancer who only cares about himself and even with his stats, they would not take him as a member of the Cleveland Browns. My reponse to them is always well it's no wonder your team is consistantly at the bottom of the league with such foolish thinking as that.Chad Johnson is 100% in the business of promoting Chad Johnson. He would be the first one to admit that to you.

Let me qualify this more specifically: I agree that Chad's personality is much more palatable and fan friendly than Terrell Owens. They both practice hard, want to win and leave it all on the field. That said, they are most definitely cut from the same cloth. No, I do not say this simply because they have the same agent either. It is because they both crave the same thing: individual attention.

Now, one could argue the differences between their individual creativity and how that manifests itself in terms of their respective endzone celebrations. I couldn't care less about that. My whole problem is that during some game...somewhere...but, even if for the briefest of moments...these guys are inevitably having difficulties focusing on the task at hand. You think this hasn't crossed the mind of Marvin Lewis?

This team has the distinct chance to make some noise in the playoffs this year. If anything, they would be better suited to fly under the radar against teams. That's far better than baiting DBs into playing career games against you. This team doesn't need the hype. They just want the W's. If you don't think so, then go ask Willie Anderson. How many bad Bengal teams has he had to endure over the years? He isn't gonna let anyone or anything upset this apple cart.

Picture this: Playoff game on the road this year against deafening fan noise. I dunno, say Pittsburgh, Denver or even Kansas City. I would hate to see the play occur where Carson calls out an audible to make Chad the hot receiver. Chad misses the audible because he's preoccupied trying to remember in which endzone he has stashed his inflatable Champ Bailey doll.

Just sayin'

savafan
11-28-2005, 03:32 PM
I think you've got the wrong impression of Chad Johnson there Blimpie.

Chad loves football. He loves playing the game. He plays to win, but he also plays to have fun. He genuinely wishes there were more guys who played for the love of the game rather than the paycheck. Chad's number one priority is to get the Bengals into the Superbowl right now, not next year or the year after.

redsfan30
11-28-2005, 03:37 PM
Chad Johnson is 100% in the business of promoting Chad Johnson. He would be the first one to admit that to you.

Let me qualify this more specifically: I agree that Chad's personality is much more palatable and fan friendly than Terrell Owens. They both practice hard, want to win and leave it all on the field. That said, they are most definitely cut from the same cloth. No, I do not say this simply because they have the same agent either. It is because they both crave the same thing: individual attention.

Now, one could argue the differences between their individual creativity and how that manifests itself in terms of their respective endzone celebrations. I couldn't care less about that. My whole problem is that during some game...somewhere...but, even if for the briefest of moments...these guys are inevitably having difficulties focusing on the task at hand. You think this hasn't crossed the mind of Marvin Lewis?

This team has the distinct chance to make some noise in the playoffs this year. If anything, they would be better suited to fly under the radar against teams. That's far better than baiting DBs into playing career games against you. This team doesn't need the hype. They just want the W's. If you don't think so, then go ask Willie Anderson. How many bad Bengal teams has he had to endure over the years? He isn't gonna let anyone or anything upset this apple cart.

Picture this: Playoff game on the road this year against deafening fan noise. I dunno, say Pittsburgh, Denver or even Kansas City. I would hate to see the play occur where Carson calls out an audible to make Chad the hot receiver. Chad misses the audible because he's preoccupied trying to remember in which endzone he has stashed his inflatable Champ Bailey doll.

Just sayin'
Football is the ultimate team sport. But that being said, there is a certain amount of personalism involved. A mainstay spectical in the NFL is the Pro Bowl. How do you make the Pro Bowl? By putting up individual numbers. Yes, Chad is promoting himself, but nearly all NFL players do in some respect.

However, you will not find a more team oriented guy than Chad Johnson. How many players do you know of that sleep at the stadium because they are watching film ad nauseum? How many players do you see make trips with thier quarterbacks to see the very best interact so they can be at that can learn from them? Chad wants to win badly. If he were as self promoting as you say he is, he wouldn't care what the win-loss record is just as long as he gets the ball.

Blimpie
11-28-2005, 03:40 PM
I think you've got the wrong impression of Chad Johnson there Blimpie.

Chad loves football. He loves playing the game. He plays to win, but he also plays to have fun. He genuinely wishes there were more guys who played for the love of the game rather than the paycheck. Chad's number one priority is to get the Bengals into the Superbowl right now, not next year or the year after.I agree with EVERYTHING you just posted. But I would also add that if a Super Bowl is priority # 1, then #1A would have to be self-promotion. I am trying really, really hard to convey the point that I am not a Chad hater. I like the guy, I would just like to think that he is above all of the antics.

Play hard. Have fun. Bring home the trophy.

If this happens, then the world will be his oyster. He will have plenty of opportunities to get his "message" out to the faithful brethren. :)

Blimpie
11-28-2005, 03:53 PM
Football is the ultimate team sport. But that being said, there is a certain amount of personalism involved. A mainstay spectical in the NFL is the Pro Bowl. How do you make the Pro Bowl? By putting up individual numbers. Yes, Chad is promoting himself, but nearly all NFL players do in some respect.Exactly. It's funny that you mentioned the NFL Pro Bowl because I was just going to do the same thing. Unlike the MLB All-Star Game where the fans screw up the voting each and every year, the Pro Bowl is the only sports league that combines voting by fans, coaches and players to determine its teams. Each of those three components are given the same relative importance (1/3) in weighing the votes.

Chad Johnson will be a perennial Pro Bowler because of what he accomplishes between the sidelines. Period. If player and coaching votes combine to be worth 67% of the total, then why bother with any self promotion at all?

Players and coaches aren't going to have their votes swayed because of the Riverdance. They are gonna vote for him because he gives them nightmares after watching his game film.

traderumor
11-28-2005, 03:54 PM
Isaac Curtis Jerseys

Isaac used to be "flamboyant" with his signature drop over the shoulder after a TD.

Maybe it's because it all harkens back to the T.O. Sharpie thing.Blame it all on White Shoes Johnson, not TO. Don't give credit to TO for anything ;)

WMR
11-28-2005, 03:55 PM
Actually, I'd be more worried that he missed a hot call because he was flapping his jaws at the DB more than he was worried about the endzone celebration. I've got a feeling those are practiced to a tee.

I thought the sign to T.O. last week was stupid.

My favorite was the poses with Warrick snapping photos.

westofyou
11-28-2005, 03:57 PM
Blame it all on White Shoes Johnson, not TO. Don't give credit to TO for anything ;)
Elmo Wright of the Kansas City Chiefs is credited as the first NFL player to celebrate in the end zone.

But it was Johnson, better known as "White Shoes" during his playing days, who fashioned the end zone dance with his Funky Chicken in 1974 as a rookie with the Oilers. The league has not been the same since.

http://www.jsonline.com/packer/sbxxxiii/news/dance120998.asp

flyer85
11-28-2005, 03:59 PM
Elmo Wright of the Kansas City Chiefs is credited as the first NFL player to celebrate in the end zone.Elmo ... #17 for the Chiefs, I remember the high knee running in place routine, I preferred that to the White Shoes knee waggling stuff.

redsfan30
11-28-2005, 03:59 PM
Exactly. It's funny that you mentioned the NFL Pro Bowl because I was just going to do the same thing. Unlike the MLB All-Star Game where the fans screw up the voting each and every year, the Pro Bowl is the only sports league that combines voting by fans, coaches and players to determine its teams. Each of those three components are given the same relative importance (1/3) in weighing the votes.

Chad Johnson will be a perennial Pro Bowler because of what he accomplishes between the sidelines. Period. If player and coaching votes combine to be worth 67% of the total, then why bother with any self promotion at all?

Players and coaches aren't going to have their votes swayed because of the Riverdance. They are gonna vote for him because he gives them nightmares after watching his game film.
My point is, what is wrong with him having fun after scoring when it does almost nothing but good for the NFL? More people watch the games to see what he is going to do next (ORH's wife). More people buy the jersey's (Roy's children).

Sure there is going to be a group of people who are old-school and won't like it no matter what anybody says. But in my opinion, it's hard to argue that Chad isn't an overall good for the NFL and the Cincinnati Bengals both on the field and off.

Blimpie
11-28-2005, 04:10 PM
To each his own, I guess. Like I have said ad nauseum...I love the guy's talent. I just think sometimes less is more. My issues are probably as much as a Sportscenter problem right now as they are a Chad problem. Now that TJ has become a force, I sincerely hope that Chad sees plenty of single coverage against Pittsburgh on Sunday.

deltachi8
11-28-2005, 04:20 PM
I am a Steeler fan and like to watch CJ - he is good for the game and is terrifically talented. I would take him on my team any day of the week, specifically on Sunday.

redsfan30
11-28-2005, 04:21 PM
I am a Steeler fan and like to watch CJ - he is good for the game and is terrifically talented. I would take him on my team any day of the week, specifically on Sunday.
As a Steeler fan, how do you feel about Sunday's game?

All due respect to you as a Steeler fan, but Pittsburgh has a very good chance of coming into that game down 1 full game.

WMR
11-28-2005, 04:23 PM

All due respect to you as a Steeler fan, but Pittsburgh has a very good chance of coming into that game down 1 full game.

I'm amazed at how quickly I can go from a vehement dislike of the Colts to ardent support.

traderumor
11-28-2005, 05:45 PM
Elmo Wright of the Kansas City Chiefs is credited as the first NFL player to celebrate in the end zone.

But it was Johnson, better known as "White Shoes" during his playing days, who fashioned the end zone dance with his Funky Chicken in 1974 as a rookie with the Oilers. The league has not been the same since.

http://www.jsonline.com/packer/sbxxxiii/news/dance120998.asp

Say Elmo around my house and the littlest TRs get all excited :)

Of course, with the image of White Shoes emblazoned on my memory, there is also the worst ever, which I consider to be Warren Sapp's "dance" when he was still with Tampa Bay.

wheels
11-28-2005, 05:53 PM
My girlfriend loves him.

We actually talked about football on the phone yesterday because of him.

She thinks he sees the games as his fun time because of all the extra work he puts in during the week.

Chad's putting the fun in being flamboyant.

He's the Muhammed Ali of the NFL.

Caveat Emperor
11-28-2005, 05:55 PM
To each his own, I guess. Like I have said ad nauseum...I love the guy's talent. I just think sometimes less is more. My issues are probably as much as a Sportscenter problem right now as they are a Chad problem. Now that TJ has become a force, I sincerely hope that Chad sees plenty of single coverage against Pittsburgh on Sunday.

TJ is a force because Chad Johnson attracts so much attention.

Smartest thing he did was realize there was a good gravy train going in Cincinnati playing with a developing great QB and a WR that was going to draw doubles and shifts every snap.

It's something I hope Chad Johnson realizes (so far, it seems he does) -- a great WR is impacting the game just as much with every ball that isn't thrown to him as he is with the catches he makes.

Fil3232
11-28-2005, 07:18 PM
TJ is a force because Chad Johnson attracts so much attention.

Smartest thing he did was realize there was a good gravy train going in Cincinnati playing with a developing great QB and a WR that was going to draw doubles and shifts every snap.

It's something I hope Chad Johnson realizes (so far, it seems he does) -- a great WR is impacting the game just as much with every ball that isn't thrown to him as he is with the catches he makes.

So true. TJ is a perfect compliment to Chad in the Cincy passing game. Throw in another vertical weapon like Henry and this Bengals offense is going to be scary good in 2-3 years. Not to mention the wonderful Rudi/Perry compliment.

The huge key is keeping the O line together. If there is a better pass blocking line in football I havent seen it yet.

Who dey.

Yachtzee
11-28-2005, 08:32 PM
Taking the end zone celebrations out of Chad Johnson would be like taking the bounce out of Tigger. (Sorry, a 2 year-old had me watching Winnie the Pooh every day).

The wonderful thing about CJ, and CJ's a wonderful thing!
His top is made out of rubber, his bottom is made out of spring!...

ghettochild
11-28-2005, 08:49 PM
did anyone see the ESPN piece on chad on sunday?

it said a lot on his life and such

anywho i think chad is halarious..he's like TO without the drama, which is what i love.

the golfing dance, HALARIOUS!

GAC
11-28-2005, 09:32 PM

There are actually some Browns fans in my town that swear up one side and down the other that they would not want Chad Johnson anywhere near thier team because of his endzone celebrations. They say he is a cancer who only cares about himself and even with his stats, they would not take him as a member of the Cleveland Browns. My reponse to them is always well it's no wonder your team is consistantly at the bottom of the league with such foolish thinking as that.

Give it a rest. :lol:

The Bengals finally have a season where they get over .500 - and I'm glad for them - after consistently being at the bottom of the NFL as the losingest franchise for the last decade. SD's Tomlinson, just a few years ago, didn't use Cleveland in his reference/analogy to being a losing franchise. He did use Cincy though. ;)

And we did make the postseason just 3 years ago.

I said it then, that the best the best thing to happen in Cincy was Mike Brown hiring Marvin Lewis and fading into the background, while giving Marvin greater control/influence.

Hiring Savage as their GM, who then hired Crennel, is following the right path in Cleveland. They immediately cleaned house of players with attitudes, which is what Lewis did in Cincy. Both of these coaches are men of character IMO.

Cleveland is on the road to "resurrection". It's gonna happen. Lewis didn't do it immediately in Cincy, and neither wil Crennel.

I don't like excessive celebration on either side of the ball. I liken it to a form of taunting. If players want to mimick TO's antics, then what goes around comes around - and I look forward to those players getting their clocks cleaned someday. And I don't say that simpy about Johnson, but any player who IMO goes overboard. They are askig for it, and someone is gonna accomodate them.

Edwards has hurt us a few times this year in critical games (Indy) where he got nailed with taunting penalties that voided TDs. I hate it!

The game is not about the individual player.

Redsfaithful
11-28-2005, 10:36 PM
Lewis didn't do it immediately in Cincy, and neither wil Crennel.

He took a 2-14 Bengals team to 8-8, in one year. I'm guessing that the Browns lose at least 10 games this year.

I don't think the Browns will do much in the next few years, unless Charlie Frye ends up being something.

GAC
11-29-2005, 08:35 AM
He took a 2-14 Bengals team to 8-8, in one year. I'm guessing that the Browns lose at least 10 games this year.

No one denies that the Bengals had/have better talent then the Browns. A good coach such as Lewis made all the difference.

And we have some talent in Cleveland too. It's all about the type of scheme utilized and built around with those player.

But Brown fans are also realists when it came to this season and the won-loss record. So losing 10 games this year is not a surprise, nor a reflection on what Crennel can/will achieve. We weren't expecting much at all in this department. What we wanted to see was a solid foundation laid with the release of underachieving players and the acquisition of some talented veteran players to start us on the right path. And Savage and Crennel have done that in the off-season. Our offensive line, along with the running and passing game are vastly improved (and without Winslow). We have "holes" to fill; but that is where I have alot more faith in guys like Savage and Crennel over Davis, Clark, and Policy. Savage is a great evaluator of talent and the draft.

And then there is trying to get acclaimated to a 3-4 defense and finding the right personnel. We have already seen that in Davis and Lang.

I don't think the Browns will do much in the next few years, unless Charlie Frye ends up being something.

It won't take a few years for this team to improve. I admit that we do have a problem at QB, which is why we want to see more of Frye in there to see what we have and what/where we need to draft. QB and LB position will be high on Crennel's draft list.

Plus, we are 30 Mil under the salary cap going into next year. And we have a owner who is committed to rebuilding this team very quickly and not afraid to spend.

We'll see. ;)

WMR
11-29-2005, 08:41 AM
But Brown fans are also realists when it came to this season and the won-loss record.

What Browns fans are you talking to?

Most that I encounter up here bellyache about every little mistake to no end. ;)

They just seem very unreasonable in their expectations for this year. I mean, at the beginning of the season, they said they were going to be reasonable in their expectations, but that has definitely not been the case.

Many are not, IMO, as appreciative of Romeo as they should be.

GAC
11-29-2005, 09:46 AM
What Browns fans are you talking to?

Most that I encounter up here bellyache about every little mistake to no end. ;)

That sounds just like about any typical fan - including Bengal just a year or two ago. ;)

I visit/post on two other Brown forums (one ran by Kosar's brother). They're no different then this one when it comes to discussing the game and their team.

They just seem very unreasonable in their expectations for this year. I mean, at the beginning of the season, they said they were going to be reasonable in their expectations, but that has definitely not been the case.

Most of the Brown fans I hang around with on those other forums and in chat with on gameday sound pretty reasonable when it came to their expectations this year. Sure - you're gonna have that certain percentage, just as you do on this forum, that will bellyache about any and everything. But they are a minority IMO.

Many are not, IMO, as appreciative of Romeo as they should be.

If interested, I can turn you onto a couple really good Brown forums where some great talk/discussions go on. One of these forums is ran by Kosar's brother and several former Brown players. Most of the fans, who know anything about the game and are not simply casual fans; but really get involved in the study of the game and understand what needs to done, are very appreciative of Crennel. But you'll have some who will never be satisified. There is always that segment anywhere you go.

Here's one with several different talk forums, depending on the level of the discussion.....

http://browns.scout.com/index.html

Blimpie
11-29-2005, 12:35 PM
I don't like excessive celebration on either side of the ball. I liken it to a form of taunting. If players want to mimick TO's antics, then what goes around comes around - and I look forward to those players getting their clocks cleaned someday. And I don't say that simpy about Johnson, but any player who IMO goes overboard. They are askig for it, and someone is gonna accomodate them.George Teague and Emmitt Smith say :wave:

deltachi8
11-29-2005, 12:38 PM

I think the Steelers may just collapse infront of everyone's eyes. They played tense and were coached terribly last night. Cowher has had success because his players believe, I think he may have lost them last night with some stuff.

That being said, if Cowher lets Ben make plays, they can win.

I wouldnt bet on it though...

Blimpie
11-29-2005, 12:41 PM
I think the Steelers may just collapse infront of everyone's eyes. They played tense and were coached terribly last night. Cowher has had success because his players believe, I think he may have lost them last night with some stuff...Sounds like somebody doesn't care for onside kicks to start the 3rd quarter....or going for it on fourth and long with an entire quarter remaining....;)

deltachi8
11-29-2005, 12:58 PM
...or caling a QB draw on 4th and 4....or not letting your QB take over the game....or letting a punk like Joey Porter cause more havoc before kickoff that after it...

it was a bad night for sure. however, the colts are pretty damn good.

WMR
11-29-2005, 01:37 PM
... or spewing spit like a malfunctioning water fountain

GAC
11-29-2005, 08:15 PM
How can you not love this face? :lol:

http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Midfield/8333/alex/cow2.jpg

OldRightHander
11-30-2005, 08:32 AM
There was a funny bit during halftime of MNF a few weeks ago. They were showing Cowher during different supposedly happy times of his life, his wedding, birth of his child, playing with the kids on Christmas, etc. In each picture, they had superimposed this scowl on his face. It was pretty funny.

RFS62
11-30-2005, 08:52 AM
The opening scene of "Baseketball" had the team scoring a touchdown lining up in a "Riverdance" chorus line.

Might as well go ahead, I guess it's inevitable.

Look at me, look at me, look at me!!!!!!

Strong and silent just doesn't play anymore.

westofyou
11-30-2005, 10:37 AM
Strong and silent just doesn't play anymore.NHL Hockey.

OldRightHander
11-30-2005, 10:39 AM
NHL Hockey.

Try to imagine Nuxhall doing a hockey game and trying to pronounce the names of the players.
:confused:

westofyou
11-30-2005, 10:41 AM
Try to imagine Nuxhall doing a hockey game and trying to pronounce the names of the players.
:confused:
No thanks... on that note I just came across something last night that stated that the Reds pursued Harry Carey back in the early 70's, he almost came to Cincinnati.

Imagine Joe and Harry in the same booth...... it would have been legendary.

Tony Cloninger
11-30-2005, 05:20 PM
I hate being called old-school just for not wanting Over celebrating.....i mean.....enough already with trying to outdo one another.......why not just hire a dance team for the games to join you. Take them on the road too.

If you want to celebrate after the game winning score...fine.....but after almost every play. KO .....ST guy tackles someone.....goes beserk....runs around and pouts his chest....points at he sky.....the stands.

I was watching a tape i have of a CINCY at PITT 1979 game.......the ONLY time there was any celebrating (just some high fives) was after a TD catch.
It was make a play...get back to the huddle.
Bradshaw throws to Swann for 45 yards.....he goes back to the bench and gets high fives. The whole offense does not go towards him the end zone and do their version of a musical number.

GAC
11-30-2005, 08:16 PM
You and I went to the same "school" Tony. ;)

I think it's classless and detracts from the game itself. I guess I'm an old fart, but there seems to be a type of arrogance that has not only pervaded the game and it's players, but also with the fans. It's almost like watching gladiator games where the victor stands over it's victim with his sword in the air waiting for the fans to give a thumbs up or down sign. Maybe that's next?

Guys like Warfield, Swann, Rice, Stallworth, Collingsworth, Newsome, and so many others were great receivers who played the game with class.

Excessive celebration is simply classless IMO. And I don't buy this reasoning that it's "entertaining".

Blimpie
12-01-2005, 03:27 PM
I'll just post this one without comment...:cool:

Johnson has special TD celebration planned
/ Associated Press
Posted: 23 minutes ago

CINCINNATI (AP) - Chad Johnson tucked the "Terrible Towel" into the neckline of his shirt, letting it hang like a yellow bib.

"I was eating lunch and I just didn't want to get my shirt dirty," he said mischievously.
No, the least-bashful Bengal wasn't getting ready to bash the next opponent - he's grown beyond that. But the receiver did have a little tease Wednesday for those thousands of fans who will show up Sunday waving their towels in Pittsburgh.

He's planning to entertain them with his best touchdown celebration yet.

"That is the Steel City, isn't it?" Johnson said. "The first time we played them, we all know we lost. We had some mistakes that we made early in the game. As far as I'm concerned, we have some things to iron out."

In a tone that amounted to a wink, he continued: "The key word is: iron out. Everybody remember the key word: iron."

Heading into what amounts to a showdown for the AFC North title, Johnson isn't deviating from his routine of having a little fun with the next opponent. The higher the stakes, the bigger the stage, after all.

Johnson added the "Terrible Towel" to his locker following a 42-29 victory Sunday over Baltimore, and made sure to pull it out and tuck it in when the cameras approached Wednesday.

Nothing against Pittsburgh.

"The fans actually love me on the road, which is a good thing," said Johnson, who has celebrated touchdowns with season with a Riverdance, CPR on the football, a sideline proposal to a cheerleader and an end zone putt with a pylon. "So, I'm doing something right.

"Pittsburgh, I'm coming to your town this week and I love you. I've got some things to iron out in the Steel City."

Johnson had four catches for 94 yards without a touchdown - no chance to celebrate - during the Steelers' 27-13 win at Paul Brown Stadium on Oct. 23. Still, he decided that the Steelers had failed to cover him, and checked the "no" box on his who-covered-me checklist for the season.

He praised the Steelers' players and coaches on Wednesday, and conceded that the Bengals need to beat them for their self-confidence as well as their playoff chances. They've lost to Jacksonville, Pittsburgh and Indianapolis, the three best teams on their schedule so far.

"As far as the rest of the schedule, I don't see any teams that would put us in that mold of 'We are the real deal,"' Johnson said. "Until we beat somebody who has been consistently winning like they have."

Until then, all he can do is have some fun.

"I don't like everybody to think about it being a big game," he said, grinning. "It's just another team in the way of what we're trying to accomplish, and that's getting to the playoffs.

"And, therefore, I'm going to guarantee ... that I won't be stopped this Sunday, either."

Dan
12-02-2005, 10:49 AM
I appreciate the guys that just hand the ball over to the official as much as I appreciate the guys that are having some good clean fun.

I detest the guys that are dancing after knocking down a pass after they have given up 2 TDs and have their team down 14-0 in the 1st quarter.

GL

here here!

I concur completely with what you said.

Hoosier Red
12-02-2005, 01:49 PM
I'm not necessarily against those who just hand the ball to the referee, but who or what does Chad Johnson take away from when he does his celebration?

While I agree it can be taken to extremes, I don't really see the harm.
Does it call attention to just Chad, probably but his teammates don't seem to mind. (TJ and Rudi seem to be just hand the ball to the official types, and they really get into it when Chad does his thing.)

Does it anger the defense? Again probably, but since the Pepto Bismol disaster last season,(which Chad appears to have learned from,) it hasn't exactly inspired anyone to stop him.

All the while, there are a number of people who otherwise wouldn't be interested in football, who will watch just to see what Chad will do next.

And apparantly I'm alone in this, but I really wasn't impressed with the putter bit last week.

GAC
12-03-2005, 03:35 AM

Or the guy who finally makes a catch after dropping three. I guess that is justification to celebrate.... "I finally caught one!" :lol: