PDA

View Full Version : Ohio U Football Coach Frank Solich Charged with DUI

Unassisted
11-28-2005, 05:00 PM
http://www.nbc4i.com/news/5419216/detail.html?rss=col&psp=news

Ohio University Coach Solich Charged With Drunken Driving

Coach Led Bobcats To 4-7 Record In First Season

http://images.ibsys.com/2004/1216/4003208_200X150.jpg (http://www.nbc4i.com/news/5419216/detail.html?rss=col&psp=news#)

UPDATED: 2:01 pm EST November 28, 2005
ATHENS, Ohio -- Ohio University football coach Frank Solich was scheduled to appear in court on Monday after he was charged with drunken driving Saturday.

Details of Solich's arrest were not available, but the university issued a statement on Monday, saying that he was charged with operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated and violation of one-way traffic."I have visited with Frank, and he deeply regrets that these events occurred," Ohio University athletic director Kirby Hocutt said in a statement. "He understands that he is in a leadership position and that it is incumbent upon him to lead by example."The statement went on to read that the university continues to monitor the situation as the legal process goes forward. "I know Frank as a man of impeccable integrity, and I am confident that he will respond to this situation in a positive manner and use these circumstances to better teach others, including his players, the importance of making wise decisions," Hocutt said.

The university is approaching the situation as a personnel matter and Solich will continue to perform his duties as head football coach, according to the statement.

Solich was hired in December 2004 to take over an Ohio University program that had languished at the bottom of the Mid-American Conference the last several seasons.

He was fired by Nebraska after the 2003 season despite a 58-19 record as the successor to Tom Osborne, who retired in 1997 after winning three national championships in his last four seasons.

Ohio University's football season ended on Nov. 21 with a loss to Miami University. The Bobcats ended their season with a 4-7 record, which was highlighted by an upset of Pittsburgh.

savafan
11-28-2005, 05:10 PM
Solich better home that Nancy Zimpher never comes to Ohio U ;)

paintmered
11-28-2005, 05:15 PM
Solich better home that Nancy Zimpher never comes to Ohio U ;)

It was Bob Goin that instituted the zero-tolerance. And it was exercised today.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2239396

pedro
11-28-2005, 05:15 PM
Oh the dreaded one way streets of Athens. :)

Reds4Life
11-28-2005, 05:26 PM
It was Bob Goin that instituted the zero-tolerance. And it was exercised today.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2239396

UC just can't catch a break, this is the second time he's been arrested for this. Just what Zimp needs, more excuses to slam the basketball department. :rolleyes:

Huggins get arrested for DUI, LeGree as well and manages to beat the rap. They know the athletic department is under a microscope, so................Mr. Genius does it again, what an IDIOT. :bang:

Doc. Scott
11-28-2005, 05:47 PM
When you're a student and you can walk everywhere on that campus, you don't even have to THINK about driving. Very nice. None of the students usually get the DUIs.

HOWEVER, when you're a "grownup"- or, let's say just for comparison's sake, a visiting alumni who drives in- it becomes a whole heck of a lot easier to do something that gets noticed. Let's also say that, uh, a friend of mine- yeah, that's the ticket- came perilously close to getting a DUI of his own while driving fifteen miles an hour (headed for a destination about a quarter of a mile away, no less) without headlights on this one time a couple of years back.

Heath
11-28-2005, 05:53 PM
You try getting fired from a Major D-1 program because you went 9-2 back to back - then drop all the way down to some low-level MAC school that would rather have the title of National Champion Party School than to be MAC Champs in ANYTHING.

I'd start drinking too. Heavily.

RedFanAlways1966
11-28-2005, 05:59 PM
Interesting.... in my 4 years in Athens I never saw a drunk person. Guess I shouldn't have been in the library so much...

:evil:

traderumor
11-28-2005, 06:40 PM
I think that this trend of firing a coach for a DWI, unless the events occur on company time, is a bit drastic. Of course, some get paid enough to afford a driver, but that's another story.

Caveat Emperor
11-28-2005, 06:48 PM
One thing is certain -- they're not going to get a better coach than Solich there in Athens.

They'd be wise to look the other way on this one.

Reds4Life
11-28-2005, 06:54 PM
I think that this trend of firing a coach for a DWI, unless the events occur on company time, is a bit drastic. Of course, some get paid enough to afford a driver, but that's another story.

After all the attention and problems the UC basketball program has had in the last year for Keith LeGree to be arrested AGAIN for DUI, after beating the wrap the first time, he deserves to be fired for being a complete idiot.

The person I feel bad for is Andy Kennedy. Heís had the Huggins situation, and ill feelings from the fans because of it, dumped into his lap. He lost all the recruits for next season, and canít recruit anyone now, thanks to Nancy Zimpherís bungled handling of this mess. If that wasnít enough, now heís going to be short staffed for the rest of this season, itís basically Kennedy and assistant Frank Martin.

pedro
11-28-2005, 07:34 PM
One thing is certain -- they're not going to get a better coach than Solich there in Athens.

They'd be wise to look the other way on this one.

The funny thing is he said he thought they could win there.

Chip R
11-28-2005, 07:36 PM

I think he was misquoted. I think what he said was he thought they could wine there. ;)

pedro
11-28-2005, 07:50 PM
I think he was misquoted. I think what he said was he thought they could wine there. ;)

Or maybe it was drink some Hudy 14K and listen to some April Wine. I know that can be accomplished.

Caveat Emperor
11-28-2005, 08:00 PM

I think he can win there -- the level of competition isn't great.

The guys before him were absolutely horrid recruiters; they all had backgroudns in the service academies, which is an entirely different recruiting skill than getting kids to come to a school like Ohio University.

If Solich can hold onto his job in Athens (which, due to the fact he hasn't been fired yet, I assume he will), I look for them to be playing good football within 2 years.

pedro
11-28-2005, 08:04 PM
I think he can win there -- the level of competition isn't great.

The guys before him were absolutely horrid recruiters; they all had backgroudns in the service academies, which is an entirely different recruiting skill than getting kids to come to a school like Ohio University.

If Solich can hold onto his job in Athens (which, due to the fact he hasn't been fired yet, I assume he will), I look for them to be playing good football within 2 years.

Being an alumnus myself I hope that you are right. At the same time, it's hard not to be dubious considering history.

Caveat Emperor
11-28-2005, 11:06 PM
Being an alumnus myself I hope that you are right. At the same time, it's hard not to be dubious considering history.

My father and mother are alums...my sister is a current student. I get lots of "Ohio U" football updates from all of them.

The excitement surrounding Solich is truely something there -- I'd hate to see it derailed by one bad move.

pedro
11-28-2005, 11:09 PM
My father and mother are alums...my sister is a current student. I get lots of "Ohio U" football updates from all of them.

The excitement surrounding Solich is truely something there -- I'd hate to see it derailed by one bad move.

They've been on TV twice this year. I've seen more OU football this year then I did in my seven years in Athens. I was shocked by the number of people in the stands.

dsmith421
11-29-2005, 01:28 AM
UC just can't catch a break, this is the second time he's been arrested for this. Just what Zimp needs, more excuses to slam the basketball department. :rolleyes:

Boy, the Zimpher hate really knows no bounds. I'm sure the President of the University of Cincinnati cackled with glee the minute she found out that another one of her employees embarrassed themselves and her organization in public.

You guys need to get over it, seriously.

paintmered
11-29-2005, 01:37 AM
Boy, the Zimpher hate really knows no bounds. I'm sure the President of the University of Cincinnati cackled with glee the minute she found out that another one of her employees embarrassed themselves and her organization in public.

Not to hijack this thread but....

As long as my tuition dollars help pay her salary, I will not "get over it". And even if the Huggins thing never happened, I would still feel this way about her. She's gone that far out of her way to insult the students and faculty during her tenure as president.

The dislike of Nancy by the student body and alumni started well before she fired Huggins.

cincinnati chili
11-29-2005, 08:11 AM
This thread exemplifies how big-time college sports causes normally level-headed posters to lose their common sense.

1. No, an institution of higher education should not "look the other way" when its highest-profile employee is poop-faced drunk in his car facing the wrong way. Very few schools turn a financial profit on athletics (Ohio U. included), so Ohio U. has a lot more to lose in credibility by keeping Solich than they have to gain with a few extra wins per year.

2. My understanding is that the trustees unanimously supported Nancy Z's decision to fire Huggins. He is NOT A GOOD GUY, or at the very least deserved the boot. The trustees knew he was somewhat of a meal ticket for them, and wouldn't have backed her up if he hadn't blown his 3rd, 4th or 5th chance.

I don't know her. Never met her. But the conventional wisdom outside of I-275 is that Nancy Z. is making your degree more valuable to the vast majority of the World's population, which doesn't think Huggins is a god.

Caveat Emperor
11-29-2005, 09:19 AM
I don't know her. Never met her. But the conventional wisdom outside of I-275 is that Nancy Z. is making your degree more valuable to the vast majority of the World's population, which doesn't think Huggins is a god.

Conventional wisdom, as I understand it, is thus: where your degree is "from" matters in one of two instances:

1. If your particular "school" is ranked at one of the ten best at what it does in the nation.
2. If your university happens to be "historically regarded" as being a prestigious institution, either in general or for what you want to do.

Nancy Zimpher may climb UC in the college ranking polls a few notches, but the odds of it making any real difference is actually quite remote, IMHO. They're never going to be Harvard or even a public ivy, likie UVA. So really, all they're doing is creating a lot of commotion about trying to become something they never really can.

TeamCasey
11-29-2005, 09:48 AM
This happened on Saturday, probably not on University time. Let the law handle it, if it wasn't part of some University function.

RedFanAlways1966
11-29-2005, 10:13 AM
This happened on Saturday, probably not on University time. Let the law handle it, if it wasn't part of some University function.

Amen. As should be the case for anyone (not just college coaches) and their respective job. Now... if you get caught a 2nd time, then all bets are off. To err is human, to forgive is divine... if you accept responsiblity for your actions.

dsmith421
11-29-2005, 10:26 AM
As long as my tuition dollars help pay her salary, I will not "get over it".

I went to UC for law school so I feel I have the right to comment.

Hap
11-29-2005, 01:19 PM
Interesting.... in my 4 years in Athens I never saw a drunk person. Guess I shouldn't have been in the library so much...

:evil:

You made it through in only four years???????????

Do you remember seeing a drunk guy in the apartment above the leather store on Court Street? That was me.

Reds4Life
11-29-2005, 01:40 PM

Nobody is going to "get over it" anytime soon, feelings run deep on this issue, very deep. The attendance at UC games seems to indicate fans aren't "over it" either, they have yet to crack 9,000 attendees for a single game. Xavier is outdrawing UC. After football is over, and college basketball is front and center in the local news, the headlines are going to get very ugly when UC is getting blown out in their conference schedule. You haven't seen people around here get angry with Nancy Zimpher yet, but it's coming.

This isn't going to go away and people aren't going to "get over it". Zimpher and her fanboys thinking it will is just further proof they don't really understand the fan/alumni base in this city.

RedFanAlways1966
11-29-2005, 04:41 PM
Not to throw any fuel on any fires.... but I hope the Univ. of Dayton makes the anti-Nancy-crowd even madder after Friday's game! UD tends to win one of these UC-UD games about every 25 years... UGH!

Boss-Hog
11-29-2005, 05:03 PM
Not to throw any fuel on any fires.... but I hope the Univ. of Dayton makes the anti-Nancy-crowd even madder after Friday's game! UD tends to win one of these UC-UD games about every 25 years... UGH!
Isn't it tonight? :confused:

paintmered
11-29-2005, 05:18 PM
Yes, it is tonight at Shoemaker.

RedFanAlways1966
11-29-2005, 05:19 PM
Isn't it tonight? :confused:

Oops! I still haven't recoverd from the short-holiday-week thing last week! My bad!!!

:runaway:

Doc. Scott
11-29-2005, 10:42 PM
Good lord, who gives a **** about UC? Let's keep with the school that's had, what, one winning football season in 40 years?

MWM
11-29-2005, 10:54 PM
Amen. As should be the case for anyone (not just college coaches) and their respective job. Now... if you get caught a 2nd time, then all bets are off. To err is human, to forgive is divine... if you accept responsiblity for your actions.

OK. Who are you and what have you done with RFA1966? YTou sure you don't want the death penalty for this? :evil:

Almost always I lean towards leniency and not over-reacting with punishment. Drunk driving is one of my exceptions. It's a serious matter where EVERYONE understands the potential deadly consequences of doing it and they do it with full knowledge they're doing it. Plus, there's no rational reason TO drive while drinking. Call a stinkin' cab. I have tolerance for most everything, driving drunk isn't one of them.

RedFanAlways1966
11-30-2005, 10:47 AM
OK. Who are you and what have you done with RFA1966? YTou sure you don't want the death penalty for this? :evil:

That's funny, MWM! I was thinking that someone was going to mention something like this to me when I typed that statement.

I agree that DUI's are a very bad thing. It just seems as though there are two standards relative to DUI and your employment... depending on your job. Most coaches of D-I programs tend to get good salaries with those jobs, so maybe they need to take the good with the bad (high salary, tighter rules on public actions). I do not drink myself, so I really have a hard time understanding those who do it and drive. Thank goodness no one was hurt when Coach Frank did it and got caught.

I must be gettin' soft in my old-age... good lord! :D

OldRightHander
11-30-2005, 11:15 AM
I got hit by a drunk driver in 1993 and still have back pain from it. I don't have much tolerance for it.

SandyD
11-30-2005, 11:40 AM
On drunk driving: I think the legal penalties should be strong and strictly enforced. Even for a first offense. I don't really think a first offense should cause someone to lose their job. If he does it again, he'll receive no sympathy from me.

Thing is, I suspect a lot of the people who do drive drunk don't realize/believe that they are drunk. Doesn't excuse them. They should be punished. But the threat of losing one's job isn't going to deter drunk driving, nor will the punishment of getting fired prevent it in the future. Losing driving privileges may not either, but has a better chance of succeeding.

paintmered
11-30-2005, 12:35 PM
FWIW, I lose my job if I get a DUI.

TeamCasey
11-30-2005, 12:46 PM
I don't understand why letting the legal system handle it is showing tolerance?

Redsland
11-30-2005, 05:05 PM
FWIW, I lose my job if I get a DUI.
So you're the one driving the Staten Island Ferry these days?

:)