PDA

View Full Version : The Randolph Morris Story: McDonald's All-American to McDonald's Job Application....

Blimpie
12-01-2005, 02:50 PM
In revealing the worst kept secret in the Bluegrass, UK is now confirming that they have entered the appeals process with the NCAA regarding Morris' eligibility...but neither side will confirm what the exact ruling was. :rolleyes: Those in the know saw this coming a week or so ago when word got out about about the AD retaining an attorney recently.

People that I have spoken with within the AD claim that the ruling was clear and simple: Morris has no eligibility remaining. We're not talking game penalties, here...we're talking "nice knowing you...." The NCAA has seen enough to decide that there was tacit acceptance of agent representation from Morris. I am no fan of the NCAA, but it would be hard to argue with their ruling.

If you read the case closely, it appears to be an open and shut case. Although, it wouldn't hurt if somebody tried to explain the difference between an oral and written agreement to Randolph Morris' father. But don't get me started on that snapper head. All he's good for is bad fatherly advice and even worse media quotes. Somebody please get the microphone away from this man.

This is where the rubber meets the road: SFX acted like Morris was theirs and Morris let them. If Morris ever had ANY intention of coming back to UK, then he wouldn't have done the following:

1) Fax a "Dear Tubby" letter to the coach instead of meeting with him or picking up the phone
2) Have SFX fax his tryout itinerary to the NBA Scouts who needed a good laugh
3) Accept private plane rides and upgraded lodging from NBA teams
4) Have SFX send a letter to NCAA saying he was still remaining in the draft after scouts torched his work ethic

Think about it this way: If, by some miracle, Morris was drafted and signed a contract with another agent...you would fully expect that SFX would be the one hiring the attorney right now. Especially considering the effort they expended pimping him to teams that eventually passed on him.

The irony here is that during this past summer, the NCAA actually forced Morris and his family to pay back all related expenses to the NBA teams which invited him to workouts. This was required BEFORE THE NCAA WOULD EVEN HEAR HIS ELIGIBILITY CASE. Now that the NCAA has told him not to bother impersonating an amateur anymore, he has no recourse whatsover in recouping those funds from any of the NBA teams (the dollar total was rumored to be in the thousands of dollars).

So, UK has gone six months and now six regular season basketball games without a true option at center. The Morris Enigma that hung over the program during recruiting season has now officially put the team over a barrel. No high school or JUCO center prospect worth a damn even considered coming to UK this year with the spectre of Morris' return to campus looming around Lexington.

Indiana's Killingsworth scored 34 points against Duke last night. Watching UK's frontline try to defend him on December 10th will more likely resemble the Battle of Little Big Horn....and we ain't the ones wearing feathers, either.

Posted on Thu, Dec. 01, 2005

UK can appeal Morris decision
CATS, NCAA REFUSE TO SAY WHAT DECISION WAS
By Jerry Tipton
HERALD-LEADER STAFF WRITER

A NCAA appeals committee made a judgment yesterday on an important question surrounding the restoration of Kentucky big man Randolph Morris's eligibility: What was the nature of his relationship with the sports agency SFX when he entered this year's NBA draft?

Neither Kentucky nor NCAA officials would reveal the NCAA Division I Legislative Review and Interpretations Committee decision, which hits at the heart of Morris's future eligibility. NCAA rules prohibit a player from entering a written or oral agreement with an agent.

Several links between Morris and SFX became known as the player entered the draft and then tried to regain his eligibility after going unselected.

No one spoke optimistically about Morris quickly rejoining Kentucky's team. Perhaps tellingly, a NCAA news release noted that UK could appeal the decision to a higher authority in the organization, the Management Council. Pending an appeal, a judgment that SFX served as Morris's agent would mean UK seeks the restoration of eligibility for a player who officially crossed a bright line separating amateur and professional.

UK would seek the restoration of Morris's eligibility from the Student-Athlete Reinstatement staff at NCAA headquarters in Indianapolis. The staff will determine if Morris can be reinstated, and, if so, under conditions such as repayment of expenses paid by the NBA. Morris also could be suspended for a specific number of games. Morris would get credit for the six games he's missed so far this season in any suspension.

When contacted last night, the player's father had not heard about the decision. Ralph Morris sounded ready to accept an unfavorable judgment.

"I'm just kind of ambivalent now," he said, "because it's dragged out so long. You get to the point that if they decide against him or declare him ineligible, life goes on. You move on."

SFX reportedly arranged a workout for Morris and other prospects, who subsequently declared themselves clients of the agency, in Chicago prior to the June 28 draft. SFX also issued a statement to the media announcing Morris' decision to not avail himself of the option of leaving the draft. A list compiled to help NBA teams arrange pre-draft workouts for prospects had SFX as the contact for Morris.

Morris and SFX denied that an oral or written agreement existed.

When asked if a trained eye of an agent would see significance in the links, Calvin Andrews said yes.

"It would mean you were representing that guy or you have an agreement to represent him," said Andrews, who represents former UK star Chuck Hayes. "Therein lies the problem."

Andrews acknowledged that he had no direct knowledge of the relationship between Morris and SFX.

Former UK player Bret Bearup, whose job as a financial advisor for athletes makes him familiar with player-agent relationships, interpreted the SFX-Morris links as signs of an agreement.

SFX probably did its work "with the expectation if he was drafted, he'd sign with them," said Bearup, who also admitted no direct knowledge. "Certainly there's evidence of some sort of agreement."

Ralph Morris insisted that no written agreement existed.

When asked if SFX had an oral understanding with his son and the family, Ralph Morris said, "I don't think that's the case. Then again, that is how they interpret their rules."

The SFX-arranged workout in Chicago? "What does that mean?" Ralph Morris said.

The statement SFX made to the media on his son's behalf? "I could have done that," Ralph Morris said. "Or anybody on the street. Does that mean they represent him? It's how they interpret it, I guess."

Morris, a 6-foot-10 center, came to UK last year as one of three McDonald's All-Americans. It seemed plausible for him to consider jumping directly from Atlanta's Landmark Christian High to the NBA.

After he averaged a pedestrian 8.8 points and 4.2 rebounds, Morris surprised many by entering the draft and not withdrawing.

"He's doing fine," Ralph Morris said of his son's emotional state. "He's a resilient person, and I think he's matured a great deal over the last year. He sees the world the way it is as opposed to being protected."

When asked if he meant the proverbial cold, cruel world, the player's father said, "Oh yes."

cumberlandreds
12-01-2005, 03:01 PM
I'm a UK fan and I thought all along that he compromised his elgiblity away when he left his name in the draft and basically was letting SFX handle his affairs. Morris has no one to blame but himself and his advisors who is his father. His father thought he could get all the way around the NCAA rules by never signing anything. Well it's quite obvious they had an oral agreement with SFX from the start. I wish UK would just drop the whole thing. Nothing good is going to come of it. If the NCAA did rule him eligible, then went on to a championship, a huge black cloud would hang over the program. Another black cloud they don't need. It's time for UK to cut their losses with the Morris's and move on.
Yes I do think Killingsworth and other good big men will eat UK up but Tubby has always found a way around this. UK will be just fine this season.

Blimpie
12-01-2005, 03:08 PM
I'm a UK fan and I thought all along that he compromised his elgiblity away when he left his name in the draft and basically was letting SFX handle his affairs. Morris has no one to blame but himself and his advisors who is his father. His father thought he could get all the way around the NCAA rules by never signing anything. Well it's quite obvious they had an oral agreement with SFX from the start. I wish UK would just drop the whole thing. Nothing good is going to come of it. If the NCAA did rule him eligible, then went on to a championship, a huge black cloud would hang over the program. Another black cloud they don't need. It's time for UK to cut their losses with the Morris's and move on.
Yes I do think Killingsworth and other good big men will eat UK up but Tubby has always found a way around this. UK will be just fine this season.It is a very popular strategy known as: "15 Fouls to Give"

macro
12-01-2005, 09:55 PM
I'm a UK fan, and I like and respect Tubby very much, but I think he gives malcontents too much rope sometimes. I hoped he would cut ties with Morris after the faxed Dear John letter, and I say that if it cost them a good Juco center for this season, then they're getting what they deserve for continuing to mess with Morris. I have no sympathy for Morris, either.

If Mitch Barnhardt is the mastermind behind this appeal, then things will turn out fine, just as they have with the football program.

George Foster
12-02-2005, 12:03 AM
Tubby is not a top 5 coach. He won his ring with Ricky P. players. If we do not make it to a final four this year, it will tie the longest time since Rupp. 8 years!

Would you not consider that a final four is about the same as a BCS bowl game? What would they do at Oklahoma or Miami if it had been 8 years since their coach had been to a BCS bowl? We already found out what happen at Florida when their EX coach did not go to a BCS bowl in 3 years...he's now losing games for Illinois. Is Kentucky a "top" college basketball school, like Miami, Oklahoma, USC, is a "top" college football school?

WVRed
12-02-2005, 09:14 AM
Tubby is not a top 5 coach. He won his ring with Ricky P. players. If we do not make it to a final four this year, it will tie the longest time since Rupp. 8 years!

Would you not consider that a final four is about the same as a BCS bowl game? What would they do at Oklahoma or Miami if it had been 8 years since their coach had been to a BCS bowl? We already found out what happen at Florida when their EX coach did not go to a BCS bowl in 3 years...he's now losing games for Illinois. Is Kentucky a "top" college basketball school, like Miami, Oklahoma, USC, is a "top" college football school?

Regardless, he is still embraced by the state of Kentucky.

While I have yet to forgive Tubby for the Saul Smith years, he is still one of the best defensive coaches in college basketball. The problems I have with Tubby are that-

1.He cant coach McDonalds All Americans. Tayshaun Prince, Rajon Rondo and maybe Keith Bogans are probably the only exceptions, even though I thought Bogans underachieved at Kentucky. Marvin Stone was a bust through and through, Joe Crawford wanted to leave last year, and Randolph Morris tried the NBA and is trying now to regain elegibility.

2.His teams can't play physical. They get dominated by teams who play stronger. It doesnt matter whether its Marquette with DWayne Wade or Iowa a couple of weeks ago. If you play physical, you will more often than not come away with a win against UK.

One thing I do like is that Tubby manages to find players at the bottom of the radar and get the most out of them. Even though none of them will play in the NBA, its players like Gerald Fitch, Chuck Hayes, and Kelenna Azubuike that are the reason Tubby still has a job.

Blimpie
12-02-2005, 10:10 AM
Regardless, he is still embraced by the state of Kentucky.

While I have yet to forgive Tubby for the Saul Smith years, he is still one of the best defensive coaches in college basketball. The problems I have with Tubby are that-

1.He cant coach McDonalds All Americans. Tayshaun Prince, Rajon Rondo and maybe Keith Bogans are probably the only exceptions, even though I thought Bogans underachieved at Kentucky. Marvin Stone was a bust through and through, Joe Crawford wanted to leave last year, and Randolph Morris tried the NBA and is trying now to regain elegibility.

2.His teams can't play physical. They get dominated by teams who play stronger. It doesnt matter whether its Marquette with DWayne Wade or Iowa a couple of weeks ago. If you play physical, you will more often than not come away with a win against UK.

One thing I do like is that Tubby manages to find players at the bottom of the radar and get the most out of them. Even though none of them will play in the NBA, its players like Gerald Fitch, Chuck Hayes, and Kelenna Azubuike that are the reason Tubby still has a job.First of all, whether or not Tubby Smith is a top tier coach is a question that no UK fan should be asked to address. The simple reason is that we all are spoiled and have ridiculous expectations for the program, the players, and the coach. However, I am firmly aligned with the group of people who feel that Tubby IS a top 5 collegiate coach. If you ask is coaching peers, they will but him in the top 1 or 2.

To say that he "cannot coach All-Americans" is rather amusing to me. Most coaches work their whole lives to simply land and All-American recuit. Tubby lands 3-4 during one recruiting season and now he doesn't know how to coach them? IMO, All-Americans are the single hardest type of athlete to coach. Period. Most of them have been fauned over since they were 10 years old and have never been asked to come off the bench. (see: Joe Crawford) At UK, you check your AAU credentials at the door.

I won't spend much time on this one, however, Keith Bogans "underachieved" his way to the # 4 spot on the all time career scoring list at the winningest program in college basketball history. If fact, by position, he ranks # 1 all time for guards. How's this sound:

1) Dan Issel
2) Kenny Walker
3) Jack Givens
4) Keith Bogans

Yes, Marvin Stone was a bust through and through...even while at Louisville. The joke around here used to be that Tubby made Marvin a deal regarding his release to transfer: If Tubby threw the scholarship release to Marvin, and he could catch it, then he was free to transfer. :D He was just a dog, period. The fact that he was even a McDonald's All-American should show you how subjective the ratings system has become. The guy made Randolph Morris appear "scrappy."

As far as Tubby finding potential where others do not, he is quite skilled. Rekalin Sims was absolute STEAL for a JUCO transfer.

WMR
12-02-2005, 10:47 AM
Marco is an excellent example of a big man that will eat UK up this year but he's far from the only one.

I think UK should plan on making the 2-3 their primary defense. I just don't think they've got the personnel to successfully play much man-to-man against teams with any sort of inside presence.

Blimpie
12-02-2005, 11:08 AM
I think you are right WilyMo. After their uninspired loss to Iowa, I was pretty worried about West Virginia in the consolation game. It wasn't until Tubby switched to zone that UK really pulled away from WVU. At that point, West Virginia couldn't throw it in the river from beyond the arc--so it made Tubby appear genius.

WMR
12-02-2005, 11:32 AM
What do you think about making Shagari more of a cog in the 2-3?

Man to man he is pretty rough; but in a 2-3 he can cause some major havoc and alter A LOT of shots.

Blimpie
12-02-2005, 11:58 AM
What do you think about making Shagari more of a cog in the 2-3?

Man to man he is pretty rough; but in a 2-3 he can cause some major havoc and alter A LOT of shots.Be it zone or man-to-man, I think Shagari is in the dog CONDO right now. As in, expect a prolonged visit. I think he is gonna evolve into a human victory cigar in games this year.

The center position will remain Tubby's biggest challenge all year long. Trying Sims at the 5 spot is gonna ruin him both physically and mentally. He's already crying 'uncle' to the press hoping it will change Tubby's mind. OTOH, Woo showed signs of life this week, although that was only after holding a mirror under his face. Jared Carter has shown me SOME things offensively; however, like most freshmen, he cannot control his fouls yet at this level.

I saw a statistic on Carter the other day that was telling: There are 8 UK players that are averaging at least double the playing minutes of Carter; yet, is 3rd on the team in total fouls....:eek:

WMR
12-02-2005, 12:03 PM
I know there's lots of room for things to change, both positively and negatively, but where do you see this team ending up this year, Blimpie?

Blimpie
12-02-2005, 12:17 PM
I know there's lots of room for things to change, both positively and negatively, but where do you see this team ending up this year, Blimpie?Start with the schedule: The SEC appears to be really average competition (nobody other than Florida in the East is scary) and the non-conference schedule has been eased up this year due to Tubby's pleading. No longer do we have the epic five consecutive Saturdays we have done prior to conference play during the last few years (dropping Michigan State from the mix helped). Kansas appears to be like Carolina in that they lost too much talent. You never like having to travel to Lawrence, but they showed last night that they are VERY beatable (Nevada?).

They will NEVER rebound enough to suit Tubby, but you cannot have your point guard lead the way every single night. According to Bill Keightly, this UK team works on free throws more than any team he has been around for 48 years...yet they are still hovering around 60% as a team. However, they are much better in the second half than they are during the first.

My feeling is that once the regular rotations get established sometime this month, they will go on a bit of a run. Before the season started, I saw this team having 4-6 losses going into March either with or without Randolph Morris. I still think that might be the case.

Believe it or not, I think they actually need to let Sparks shoot MORE and not less. Let Rondo take off down court and get 3-4 easy buckets per game. But until they get the rebounding problem straightned out, Sparks is gonna be the guy streaking up court after shots.

All that being said, they will fall where they always do: Anywhere from a # 1-3 seed in the NCAA Tourney. Final Four would be nice, but I wouldn't bet any dough on it.

WMR
12-02-2005, 12:25 PM
Any chance of this next step in the Randolph Morriss saga bearing any success? It sure doesn't look that way.

Blimpie
12-02-2005, 01:16 PM
Any chance of this next step in the Randolph Morriss saga bearing any success? It sure doesn't look that way.Kinda reeks of desperation, huh? I know that this attorney that they retained (Rick Evrard) is extremely high priced and for good reason. Personally, I don't know if I would have spent the money on Morriss. I don't think his presence would help the team achieve much more than 1 or 2 wins in any event.

macro
12-02-2005, 02:15 PM

If the number of Final Fours is the only criteria, then yes, Tubby is not much of a coach. But there are other criteria to consider. We could've chosen the number National Championships two or three years ago and concluded that Jim Boeheim and Roy Williams were no good because they didn't have any. Same could've been said for Pitino before 1996. I guess what I'm saying is that it's not fair to hand-pick one criteria.

I could just as easily point out that UK was the overall #1 seed in the tournament in 2003 and again in 2004, and was ranked #1 in the polls following each of those two seasons. The 2002-03 team began the season ranked #17 and the 2003-04 team started the season at #11, so those accomplishments came with teams that were not that highly regarded in preseason. Even last year's team made it as high as #3 in the 14th and 16th polls of the year after starting the season at #9.

Do all these rankings mean that Tubby is one of the best coaches? No, not necessarily, but they're no less valid indicators of the program's success than a single-elimination tournament. In fact, one might argue that they're more valid, because they take the entire regular season into account and not just one loss in one game against a team that they happen to not match up well against.

That being said, it is time that the team returned to the Final Four and perhpas won another championship. I can't make excuses for them forever. :)

WVRed
12-02-2005, 03:52 PM
First of all, whether or not Tubby Smith is a top tier coach is a question that no UK fan should be asked to address. The simple reason is that we all are spoiled and have ridiculous expectations for the program, the players, and the coach. However, I am firmly aligned with the group of people who feel that Tubby IS a top 5 collegiate coach. If you ask is coaching peers, they will but him in the top 1 or 2.

To say that he "cannot coach All-Americans" is rather amusing to me. Most coaches work their whole lives to simply land and All-American recuit. Tubby lands 3-4 during one recruiting season and now he doesn't know how to coach them? IMO, All-Americans are the single hardest type of athlete to coach. Period. Most of them have been fauned over since they were 10 years old and have never been asked to come off the bench. (see: Joe Crawford) At UK, you check your AAU credentials at the door.

I won't spend much time on this one, however, Keith Bogans "underachieved" his way to the # 4 spot on the all time career scoring list at the winningest program in college basketball history. If fact, by position, he ranks # 1 all time for guards. How's this sound:

1) Dan Issel
2) Kenny Walker
3) Jack Givens
4) Keith Bogans

Yes, Marvin Stone was a bust through and through...even while at Louisville. The joke around here used to be that Tubby made Marvin a deal regarding his release to transfer: If Tubby threw the scholarship release to Marvin, and he could catch it, then he was free to transfer. :D He was just a dog, period. The fact that he was even a McDonald's All-American should show you how subjective the ratings system has become. The guy made Randolph Morris appear "scrappy."

As far as Tubby finding potential where others do not, he is quite skilled. Rekalin Sims was absolute STEAL for a JUCO transfer.

For the most part, I agree with you, but there is no denying that Tubby has not had the best of luck with All Americans. Aside from Prince, Bogans, and Rondo, none have really contributed in great detail. Crawford is a wait and see. But with Stone, Carruth, and Morris, it is purely debatable.

But in college basketball, same with college football, it is almost impossible to go anywhere without All Americans. That is why you have the Dukes and UNC's of the world consistently ranked ahead of the pack. You NEED these players if you are going to have a realistic shot at winning the NCAA title every year, and having them perform to the utmost of their abilities, Tubby has not done that.

As far as Bogans underachieving, I was referring to the professional level. Most All Americans are two years and gone(which will likely become one year now with the NBA's age limit). Bogans did play with the idea of the NBA Draft twice and came back, and made the right move in the process, but ultimately was a second round pick and is hanging on with a Charlotte Bobcats team that is still in their second year of existence.

Blimpie
12-03-2005, 07:45 PM
For the most part, I agree with you, but there is no denying that Tubby has not had the best of luck with All Americans. Aside from Prince, Bogans, and Rondo, none have really contributed in great detail. Crawford is a wait and see. But with Stone, Carruth, and Morris, it is purely debatable.

But in college basketball, same with college football, it is almost impossible to go anywhere without All Americans. That is why you have the Dukes and UNC's of the world consistently ranked ahead of the pack. You NEED these players if you are going to have a realistic shot at winning the NCAA title every year, and having them perform to the utmost of their abilities, Tubby has not done that.

As far as Bogans underachieving, I was referring to the professional level. Most All Americans are two years and gone(which will likely become one year now with the NBA's age limit). Bogans did play with the idea of the NBA Draft twice and came back, and made the right move in the process, but ultimately was a second round pick and is hanging on with a Charlotte Bobcats team that is still in their second year of existence.I specifically did not mention Rashard Caruth because he was a complete joke of a person--regardless of his talent. Since he left UK, he has come and gone from about four different schools. Complete head case and uncoachable. That is, unless your coach is Cheech Marin.

I agree that Duke and Carolina get their fair share of All-Americans, but you'd better expect to only have them for 1-2 years and be in a constant rebuilding (or reloading) process if you go that route. Look at Carolina's team this year: Sure, they are defending champs, but they also lost their top 7 scorers from last year's team (including all 5 starters).

Tubby has made it clear that he would rather not waste time with those 'leapfroggers' because they disrupt his program and scare away prospects who might otherwise have stayed four years (Hayes and Fitch) and been quite productive players.

As far as Bogans underachieving, I was referring to the professional levelThat's all fine and good, but unfortunately that is not what you said:

even though I thought Bogans underachieved at Kentucky

WVRed
12-04-2005, 08:43 AM
I agree that Duke and Carolina get their fair share of All-Americans, but you'd better expect to only have them for 1-2 years and be in a constant rebuilding (or reloading) process if you go that route. Look at Carolina's team this year: Sure, they are defending champs, but they also lost their top 7 scorers from last year's team (including all 5 starters).

And they managed to dominate Kentucky yesterday. North Carolina beat us in the battle for Tyler Hansbrough, and they have added a fine recruiting class next year with Tywon Lawson, Wayne Ellington, and Brandan Wright. They will be back to contending in no time.

Tubby has made it clear that he would rather not waste time with those 'leapfroggers' because they disrupt his program and scare away prospects who might otherwise have stayed four years (Hayes and Fitch) and been quite productive players.

While that may be true, and it is noble, it does not win championships.

Plus, its what you offer at the program and the players themselves that make that decision. That is why you see kids at Duke and UNC staying for 2-3 years that might only stay one year at another school.

kyred14
12-08-2005, 07:50 AM
Rumors down here are saying that Morris WILL be reinstated very soon, maybe in time for IU on Saturday. Again this is only a rumor I've heard, but the source is pretty credible.

WVRed
12-08-2005, 05:04 PM
Rumors down here are saying that Morris WILL be reinstated very soon, maybe in time for IU on Saturday. Again this is only a rumor I've heard, but the source is pretty credible.

Turns out its just the opposite.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2252746

Kentucky's Final Four chances were dealt a serious blow late Thursday when the NCAA suspended sophomore center Randolph Morris for the entire 2005-06 season.

Morris has found closed doors so far in his quest to return to Kentucky.The ruling, released by the NCAA, came after an appeal was sent to the Student-Athlete Reinstatement Committee.

Morris will also lose a season of eligibility and must repay $7,000 in expenses. He would have two seasons of eligibility remaining, beginning in 2006-07.

Morris declared for the 2005 NBA draft, stayed in the draft, but wasn't drafted. He returned to Kentucky for the fall semester and has been practicing, but not playing with the team. He can still practice this season.

The NCAA ruled last month that Morris' relationship with an agency during his NBA draft experience last spring was a violation, forcing Kentucky to submit an appeal to reinstate the sophomore. It was then up to the NCAA's reinstatement committee to determine if Morris should be ineligible as a college athlete, or subject to a game penalty.

Kentucky can appeal the NCAA's latest ruling.

"We're disappointed with the ruling because we don't feel that the punishment is consistent with past precedent. The NCAA has tried to become more student-athlete friendly but this decision is a significant step away from that direction. We will appeal this to the student-athlete reinstatement committee," said Scott Stricklin, Kentucky's assistant athletic director in charge of media relations.

Kentucky coach Tubby Smith was informed of the decision at 4 p.m. Thursday and then told Morris. Smith was expected to comment on the ruling at a previously scheduled news conference at 5 p.m. in advance of the Kentucky-Indiana game in Indianapolis Saturday.

Kentucky (6-2) has been struggling to score inside without the 6-11 Morris (8.8 ppg, 4.2 rpg as a freshman). The Wildcats have three 7-footers in 7-3 junior Shagari Alleyne (3.8 ppg, 2.8 rpg), 7-foot junior Lukasz Obrzut (2.6 ppg, 1.6 rpg) and 7-2 freshman Jared Carter (1.3 ppg, 1.4 rpg) but none have been consistent this season. The Wildcats have tried more undersized post players in 6-8 JC transfer Rekalin Sims (8.8 ppg, 5.1 rpg) in place of Morris.

The NCAA statement on the ruling said:

"The agency marketed the student-athlete's skills to NBA teams and served as the teams' point of contact for Morris. The agency scheduled, arranged and confirmed workouts with NBA teams and sought feedback from teams on the student-athlete's draft status. The Division I Legislative Review and Interpretation Committee confirmed that these activities represented an implicit agreement with the agency.

The student-athlete also received more than $7,000 from nine NBA teams for expenses related to tryouts. NCAA legislation clearly states that summer tryouts are permitted, but that student-athletes may not receive expenses or other payment from NBA teams.

The reinstatement staff did not declare the student-athlete permanently ineligible because there was no explicit written or oral agreement with an agent. However, based on the nature of the Morris family's relationship with the agency and the agency's involvement throughout the draft process, the reinstatement staff determined a significant reinstatement penalty was warranted.

When deciding to test the professional waters, a student-athlete should work closely with his or her institution to ensure compliance with NCAA rules, steps which Morris did not take.

The reinstatement staff's decision may be appealed to the Division I Student-Athlete Reinstatement Committee, which has five members from Division I conferences and institutions."

kyred14
12-09-2005, 07:34 AM
I hate it when I'm wrong, but he deserved it.

Blimpie
12-09-2005, 01:07 PM
Knowing a few people within the AD, I knew the outcome of the case about a week ago. So the Herald Leader's front page article was a bit of a yawn to me this morning.....Sounds like the Ft. Worth Flyers just found their starting center for the next seven years.

Big Donkey
12-15-2005, 02:37 PM
He's baaaaack. It looks like. Some new info coming out that states Morris will probably get his full eligibility back after all and be ready to play after missing 50% of the regular season (14 games for UK), and paying back expenses. Sometime in SEC season, he should be back.

Big Donkey
12-15-2005, 03:16 PM
Adding that I just got the date of his return confirmed, it's January 10 against Vanderbilt. Would have been nice to see him against the dastardly Cardinals this weekend, especially considering Juan Palacios is probably not playing, but still, welcome news all the same.

Blimpie
12-15-2005, 03:18 PM
He's baaaaack. It looks like. Some new info coming out that states Morris will probably get his full eligibility back after all and be ready to play after missing 50% of the regular season (14 games for UK), and paying back expenses. Sometime in SEC season, he should be back.Big Donkey: You have proven time and time again that your informational sources were most definitely solid. While, I heard rumblings about this yesterday, it was from somebody whom I didn't really trust. Thus, I didn't even consider posting it on the board. Without revealing anything specific: Would you say that your source falls more within the "booster" criteria or the "AD criteria"??? By the way, if you don't even want to reveal that much--I completely understand.

Not that I think Morris will make a huge difference in UK's season at this point, I am just glad that all of those attorney fees actually ended up with tangible results.

Man, I just realized that I opted to discuss Randolph Morris in my 2,000th post.....ugh.

WMR
12-15-2005, 04:33 PM
Man, I just realized that I opted to discuss Randolph Morris in my 2,000th post.....ugh.

Uh-oh, your next 2,000 posts are destined to be short-sighted and exhibiting a below-average intelligence level!! ;)

Big Donkey
12-15-2005, 06:30 PM
Big Donkey: You have proven time and time again that your informational sources were most definitely solid. While, I heard rumblings about this yesterday, it was from somebody whom I didn't really trust. Thus, I didn't even consider posting it on the board. Without revealing anything specific: Would you say that your source falls more within the "booster" criteria or the "AD criteria"??? By the way, if you don't even want to reveal that much--I completely understand.

Not that I think Morris will make a huge difference in UK's season at this point, I am just glad that all of those attorney fees actually ended up with tangible results.

Hey Blimpie, yeah, I think word started picking up last night, but I had a confirmation on it this morning. I know you have your pulse on the UK scene, so I am sure you had reason to doubt when you heard. I thought it was wishful thinking myself but had a corroboration on the story earlier today. I'd say my source is closer to "booster".

KYRedsFan
12-15-2005, 09:29 PM
Huh, Emery Express just delivered another package to Lexington. Still fitting that they play in coRuppt arena. They find a fax today, after this thing's been dragging since March. Someone in the AD office is good at Photoshop me thinks.

WVRed
12-15-2005, 09:31 PM
Huh, Emery Express just delivered another package to Lexington. Still fitting that they play in coRuppt arena. They find a fax today, after this thing's been dragging since March. Someone in the AD office is good at Photoshop me thinks.

I smell a Cardinals fan.

Blimpie
12-15-2005, 10:27 PM
Hey Blimpie, yeah, I think word started picking up last night, but I had a confirmation on it this morning. I know you have your pulse on the UK scene, so I am sure you had reason to doubt when you heard. I thought it was wishful thinking myself but had a corroboration on the story earlier today. I'd say my source is closer to "booster".The guy that I spoke with yesterday was also a booster--but not a "heavy hitter" by any stretch. He also told me that the fact Morris stayed enrolled and continued to take classes at UK the whole time this transpired weighed very strongly in the decision by the NCAA Appeals Committee.

KYRedsFan: This fax did not just materialize out of thin air as some would like to believe...It has been talked about ad nauseum since June. The wording within this fax also factored strongly in the overruling. The text of the fax stated that Morris "intended to NOT sign with an agent" in order to "keep his eligibility status intact."

I absolutely agree with the fact that Morris' actions DID constitute a tacit involvement with an agent. However, the NCAA felt he never "intended" to do so when he wrote the fax and that 50% of the season was penalty enough.

Blimpie
12-15-2005, 10:32 PM
Uh-oh, your next 2,000 posts are destined to be short-sighted and exhibiting a below-average intelligence level!! ;)Dat sounds like my foist 2,000 posts...nyuk, nyuk, nyuk.:D

KYRedsFan
12-15-2005, 11:12 PM
So if I'm ever going to run a red light, I should stash a pre-dated affadavit stating I never intended to run a red light. Problem solved, this is garbage. He'll be welcomed back with open arms too by a fan base that ran him through the gutter all offseason. If UK wasn't 6-3, would that be the case?

Blimpie
12-16-2005, 09:33 AM
So if I'm ever going to run a red light, I should stash a pre-dated affadavit stating I never intended to run a red light. Problem solved, this is garbage. He'll be welcomed back with open arms too by a fan base that ran him through the gutter all offseason. If UK wasn't 6-3, would that be the case?Your analogy doesn't exactly wash. First of all, nothing about the fax was "pre-dated" in any way. The date on the fax coincides precisely with the date Tubby was notified of Morris' decision--a matter that was immediately made public back in May when it happened.

At that time, nobody in the world knew what would have transpired since then. Would Morris get drafted? Would he return to school? By your fractured logic, the fax was created in the final hours--just to beef up the case for Morris. If that were the case, why would UK have bothered to mention the fax back in May? They had no idea back then that it would even be a factor in any type of decision.

If you bothered to read their decision, it is obvious that the NCAA used the fax as just one part of the evidence in overturning the ruling. As I stated before, the fact that Morris remained enrolled in school and attended classes also factored into their decision.

Nobody around here thinks that Morris is anything other than a selfish individual. It is obvious that he had SFX doing his bidding while at the NBA camps. So long as the eligibility loophole remains, players will always see fit to push the envelope. The issue that was established yesterday was that Morris had initially intended to stay an amateur(both by virtue of the fax transcript and his class attendence)--but only until he could confirm his draft placement. Subsequent to that, he allowed SFX to take control of the situation and his eligibility was immediately compromised.

The past seven days have been nothing more than a negotiation in how punitive the NCAA should have been. They felt that 50% of a season (and $ 7,000 in repaid expenditures) was a sufficient penalty. I'm quite sure you disagree with that assessment; however, it doesn't change the facts of what I am telling you.

On a personal note, I couldn't care less if UK washed their hands with Morris back in the summer. But once they decided to outlay significant legal expenditures on the case, a true fan would always hope for a favorable ruling. As I have said before, Randolph Morris' impact on this team--this year--will be around 1-2 additional wins. He does not make this team into a Final Four contender in any way whatsoever.

As far as next year is concerned: don't bother speculating. Morris remains a free agent to this day, so he could be in an Atlanta Hawks uniform any day now.

Cedric
12-17-2005, 12:22 AM
The fax is total garbage and a farce. Just another sign that certain programs are above the law. Kentucky has had a ton of problems with the law and their players and yet somehow they still have that pristine image compared to other programs. I would never wish for any young man's life to be ruined, but this magic fax is disturbing.

Blimpie
12-17-2005, 11:35 AM
The fax is total garbage and a farce. Just another sign that certain programs are above the law. Kentucky has had a ton of problems with the law and their players and yet somehow they still have that pristine image compared to other programs. I would never wish for any young man's life to be ruined, but this magic fax is disturbing.The guy averaged 8 points and 4 rebounds a game last season. He is now an NBA Free Agent and has clearly demonstrated that if the NBA ever does come calling, he's gonzo. We are not talking about the next LeBron James here.

If you think that Tubby Smith would place both his coaching career legacy and impeccable reputation as a person on the line by fabricating this fax to benefit his employer, then you are the one who is disturbed.

For that matter, because Randolph Morris has shown his true colors in the unfolding of this circus, there is not another coach in the land that would do what you are suggesting for such a nominal and short term gain.

WMR
12-17-2005, 11:43 AM
The guy averaged 8 points and 4 rebounds a game last season. He is now an NBA Free Agent and has clearly demonstrated that if the NBA ever does come calling, he's gonzo. We are not talking about the next LeBron James here.

If you think that Tubby Smith would place both his coaching career legacy and impeccable reputation as a person on the line by fabricating this fax to benefit his employer, then you are the one who is disturbed.

For that matter, because Randolph Morris has shown his true colors in the unfolding of this circus. There is not another coach in the land that would do what you are suggesting for such a nominal and short term gain.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

KYRedsFan
12-17-2005, 01:19 PM
I'm not in the crowd stating it was made in the past couple days. But it is predated. How can you say that typing a letter saying you intend to not commit a penalty, and then go ahead and commit multiple ones, gets you out of being guilty? That is the question all the blue bloods can't answer. How does saying you intend to retain your eligibility excuse you when your actions clearly violate your amateur status?

Your analogy doesn't exactly wash. First of all, nothing about the fax was "pre-dated" in any way. The date on the fax coincides precisely with the date Tubby was notified of Morris' decision--a matter that was immediately made public back in May when it happened.

At that time, nobody in the world knew what would have transpired since then. Would Morris get drafted? Would he return to school? By your fractured logic, the fax was created in the final hours--just to beef up the case for Morris. If that were the case, why would UK have bothered to mention the fax back in May? They had no idea back then that it would even be a factor in any type of decision.

If you bothered to read their decision, it is obvious that the NCAA used the fax as just one part of the evidence in overturning the ruling. As I stated before, the fact that Morris remained enrolled in school and attended classes also factored into their decision.

Nobody around here thinks that Morris is anything other than a selfish individual. It is obvious that he had SFX doing his bidding while at the NBA camps. So long as the eligibility loophole remains, players will always see fit to push the envelope. The issue that was established yesterday was that Morris had initially intended to stay an amateur(both by virtue of the fax transcript and his class attendence)--but only until he could confirm his draft placement. Subsequent to that, he allowed SFX to take control of the situation and his eligibility was immediately compromised.

The past seven days have been nothing more than a negotiation in how punitive the NCAA should have been. They felt that 50% of a season (and $ 7,000 in repaid expenditures) was a sufficient penalty. I'm quite sure you disagree with that assessment; however, it doesn't change the facts of what I am telling you.

On a personal note, I couldn't care less if UK washed their hands with Morris back in the summer. But once they decided to outlay significant legal expenditures on the case, a true fan would always hope for a favorable ruling. As I have said before, Randolph Morris' impact on this team--this year--will be around 1-2 additional wins. He does not make this team into a Final Four contender in any way whatsoever.

As far as next year is concerned: don't bother speculating. Morris remains a free agent to this day, so he could be in an Atlanta Hawks uniform any day now.

WMR
12-17-2005, 01:28 PM
I'm not in the crowd stating it was made in the past couple days. But it is predated. How can you say that typing a letter saying you intend to not commit a penalty, and then go ahead and commit multiple ones, gets you out of being guilty? That is the question all the blue bloods can't answer. How does saying you intend to retain your eligibility excuse you when your actions clearly violate your amateur status?

He made a mistake, that's why he's still suspended for half the regular season. The NCAA has a history of avoiding vindictiveness in cases such as this. The NCAA was willing to consider what he intended along with the fact that he never entered into a formal contract with SFX.

Why didn't he enter into that formal agreement? He thought that would be enough to allow him to come back to UK if he so chose.

Why screw the kid over permanently just because he wasn't smart enough to fully investigate what creates a contract? That's not what college athletics are about. He'll sit out his games, repay the cash, and we can all move on.

If two parties have clear and definite differing opinions and understandings of an agreement that differ enough to materially alter the meaning of the contract, there is no contract. Intent is the key, and that's what saved Randolph Morriss' season.

Blimpie
12-17-2005, 08:48 PM
If two parties have clear and definite differing opinions and understandings of an agreement that differ enough to materially alter the meaning of the contract, there is no contract. Intent is the key, and that's what saved Randolph Morriss' season.Thank you. I guess it takes one of you lawyer-types the parse that out for some people. ;)

Not that any of this will alter the thinking of the conspiracy theorists, but Morris relied HEAVILY upon the direction of his parents. Neither of which were qualified to give him any type of advice in the matter. They had Randolph convinced that SFX could act merely as his "liaison" (instead of a full-blown agent) and his eligibility would remain intact.

KYRedsFan
12-17-2005, 10:56 PM
He made a mistake, that's why he's still suspended for half the regular season. The NCAA has a history of avoiding vindictiveness in cases such as this. The NCAA was willing to consider what he intended along with the fact that he never entered into a formal contract with SFX.

Why didn't he enter into that formal agreement? He thought that would be enough to allow him to come back to UK if he so chose.

Why screw the kid over permanently just because he wasn't smart enough to fully investigate what creates a contract? That's not what college athletics are about. He'll sit out his games, repay the cash, and we can all move on.

If two parties have clear and definite differing opinions and understandings of an agreement that differ enough to materially alter the meaning of the contract, there is no contract. Intent is the key, and that's what saved Randolph Morriss' season.

Muhammad Lasege, UofL recruit from several years ago. Accepted money from guys in foreign leagues in Asia while trying to play his way into a college situation in the US. Never even heard of the NCAA. Very intelligent student athlete. No way shape or form was he "intending" to give up his eligibility. Yet the NCAA slams the door in his face, shuts him out of an athletic scholarship. Different standards for big blue nation I guess.

WMR
12-17-2005, 11:20 PM
Muhammad Lasege, UofL recruit from several years ago. Accepted money from guys in foreign leagues in Asia while trying to play his way into a college situation in the US. Never even heard of the NCAA. Very intelligent student athlete. No way shape or form was he "intending" to give up his eligibility. Yet the NCAA slams the door in his face, shuts him out of an athletic scholarship. Different standards for big blue nation I guess.

LOL, yep, the NCAA holds UK to a different standard than the rest of America... righhhhhhhttttt.

Maybe we've just got better lawyers?

I'm not familiar with the situation you are describing, but perhaps he didn't repay the money that he was given?

Perhaps there is no incontrovertible proof that he didn't intend to give up his eligibility asides from his word?

The true reason I suspect, however, is that he accepted PAY FOR PLAY. If Randolph Morriss had done that whether in America, Turkey, North Korea, or Belarus, no way does he get re-instated. Randolph never accepted any sort of cash to play basketball, which is why he was allowed to retain his NCAA eligibility.

Well, I would postulate that Muhammad was NOT that intelligent, b/c while Morriss' excuse is plausible and provable, no one intelligent could expect to return to amateur status after becoming a paid professional.

Blimpie
12-18-2005, 12:29 PM
Randolph Morris received the the third most severe individual punishment allowable by the NCAA. That's nothing to sneeze at, and what he did was nothing AT ALL like getting paid a salary to play for a professional team. If you don't believe me, just ask the NCAA:

Morris the Cat
Leftovers from last week's NCAA announcement that Randolph Morris' punishment had been reduced from this entire season to 14 games:

• Kevin Lennon, a vice president for the NCAA Membership Services department, participated in the decision. He shed a bit of light on the importance of two pieces of evidence UK introduced at the 11th hour.
The famous fax that UK Coach Tubby Smith miraculously found provided an "unambiguous clarification" that Morris wanted to keep open the option of returning to UK as he entered the NBA Draft.
Lennon acknowledged that actions indeed speak louder than words and that Morris' actions indicated a strong desire to enter the NBA. That is why the NCAA imposed a half-season penalty, Lennon said.
Lennon explained that in eligibility cases, the NCAA imposes a permanent ban 1 percent of the time. A one-season ban is the next-most severe penalty. A half-season ban is the third-most severe. "I still consider that significant," he said.
As for the other new evidence, the "personal and confidential" information that Morris' family provided, Lennon said it addressed "the question of why the young man may not have used all the university resources that were available while considering" the NBA.
That means Morris ignored Smith's offer of counsel.