PDA

View Full Version : UC Baseball Stadium to be Named For Marge

Unassisted
12-02-2005, 10:32 AM
http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051202/SPT0201/512020313/1016

UC stadium will be named for Schott
Post staff report

Marge Schott's baseball legacy will live on, a few miles north of where her beloved Reds play.
University of Cincinnati athletic officials said Thursday that UC's baseball stadium will be named in honor of Schott, the controversial former owner of the Reds who died in March 2004. The move came in response to a $2 million donation from the Marge and Charles J. Schott Foundation to the Richard E. Lindner Varsity Village project for upgrading UC's athletic facilities.

"The naming display will also include the phrase, 'The Lady Loved Baseball,' as a lasting memorial to her love for youth and baseball," said Bob Goin, who retired as UC's athletic director Thursday.

Varsity Village is a $100 million-plus upgrade of UC's athletic facilities. Part of the project involved the construction of the 3,300-seat stadium, which opened for play at the end of the 2004 season. It replaced the old Johnny Bench Field.

Schott, a longtime baseball fan, held controlling interest in the Reds from 1985 to 1999, when she was pushed to sell the team by Major League Baseball after a series of racial and ethnic slurs caused two suspensions.

westofyou
12-02-2005, 11:54 AM
'The Lady Loved Baseball,'And did her best to destroy it in town.

Marge Schott got rich when her husband died in his lovers arms, that's the foot that kicked in the door that led to her legacy.

Steve4192
12-02-2005, 12:25 PM
I was going to go with:

'The Lady Loved Baseball ... and Hitler.'

or

'The Lady Loved Baseball, St. Bernards, and her million dollar ******.'

****** = a pet name for Eric Davis that rhymes with 'bigger'.

WMR
12-02-2005, 12:35 PM
why do i see a can of spraypaint in that display's future?

Caveat Emperor
12-02-2005, 01:21 PM
So, let me get this straight...the fire Bob Huggins because he was tarnishing the University's reputation...

...and then they go name a BUILDING after someone who was a known racist, a total loon, a nazi-sympathizer and awful baseball owner?

What a great recruiting tool. Maybe, if they're lucky, they can get Dave Parker to throw out the first pitch.

:rolleyes:

Redsland
12-02-2005, 03:16 PM
Don't forget the fraudulent way she propped up her dealership's sales figures.

One wonders if the auctioneers will fling open her garage doors next month and reveal two dozen Bonnevilles, all belonging to "Bo Diaz."

;)

westofyou
12-02-2005, 03:21 PM
Don't forget the fraudulent way she propped up her dealership's sales figures.

One wonders if the auctioneers will fling open her garage doors next month and reveal two dozen Bonnevilles, all belonging to "Bo Diaz."

;)
And some late check payments for the advertising her dealership received whne she locked out all the other dealers from advertising with the Reds.

Remember when BMW was going to gve E.D. a bmw to drive around town, just as a perk to push their sales?

Marge would have none of that and she worked a deal to give him a Vette instead... well the next season came around and during negotiations she tried to squeeze that into the contract as being a perk and therefore E.D. should take a little less cash.

KronoRed
12-02-2005, 04:12 PM
Better the Bearcats then the Reds ;)

Heath
12-02-2005, 06:50 PM
I thought the baseball stadia at Clifton was named after Johnny Bench :confused:

Redsland
12-02-2005, 09:49 PM
Varsity Village is a $100 million-plus upgrade of UC's athletic facilities. Part of the project involved the construction of the 3,300-seat stadium, which opened for play at the end of the 2004 season. It replaced the old Johnny Bench Field.

:beerme:

GAC
12-03-2005, 05:49 AM
Not denying anything stated above - and I was no Marge fan at all (believe me) - but if people's weaknesses/faults is going to be used as justification to not name buildings, stadiums, or monuments, after someone, or give any public recognition, while denying any of the good they did do within that local community, then they wouldn't exist at all.

"let he who is without sin cast the first stone" ;)

I guess we should only recognize or pay tribute to perfect people. :lol:

Even with her faults and difficulties, Marge did do alot of good within the community as far as her public service and foundations. I have no problem with the community recognizing her in some way.

I guess they need to change the name on Pete Rose Way?

Redsland
12-03-2005, 12:41 PM
...but if people's weaknesses/faults is going to be used as justification to not name buildings...
The J. Edgar Hoover FBI Building.

Just sayin'.

:cool:

westofyou
12-03-2005, 12:57 PM
I guess we should only recognize or pay tribute to perfect people.Nah... we save most places for those who leave large endowments.

Like Marge did.

I won't be holding my breath for the new downtown Larry Flynt Childrens Center.

GAC
12-03-2005, 01:34 PM
Nah... we save most places for those who leave large endowments.

Like Marge did.

I won't be holding my breath for the new downtown Larry Flynt Childrens Center.

Besides degrading woman...what local or community charities or foundations has Flynt ever started to the betterment of Cincinnati?

Image is everything. And I'd take Marge's image, regardless of how marred it may be, as compared to Flynt's. No comparison. ;)

westofyou
12-03-2005, 01:35 PM
Image is everything. Sure is honey.
http://www.sportsretort.com/baseball/schott-si.jpg

GAC
12-03-2005, 01:37 PM
The J. Edgar Hoover FBI Building.

Just sayin'.

:cool:

That woman's clothing department on the 4th floor offers some great deals. ;)

But you understand my point. We simply give recognition or name things after people who society feels has contributed/given back in some way. The recognition does not say they are perfect or had no flaws.

GAC
12-03-2005, 01:39 PM
Sure is honey.
http://www.sportsretort.com/baseball/schott-si.jpg

And leave it to good ol' SI to do their best to present a flattering image that gave weight to their bias/hatred of Marge Schott. ;)

She was adviced not to do that interview because SI was gunning for her, and she did it anyway.

Unassisted
12-03-2005, 07:50 PM
In another decade, there will undoubtedly be more buildings/wings/facilities named for each of the principals in the Enron scandal than there will have been for Marge Schott. Compared to those creeps, Marge's sins were minor and the number of people she wronged was a drop in the bucket.

Personally, I'm glad that her wealth is being used to benefit average folks and zoo animals instead of lining the gilded pockets of bratty heirs and pampered heiresses.