Traffic (?)
Phish
Cowboy Junkies
Cheap Trick
The Doors (?)
Blondie
Black Flag
Pink Fairies

Trying to figure out the five faces on the TV screens in the building window, the pink scissors, and the yellow "20". :lol:

IowaRed
12-03-2005, 07:58 AM
RHCP
Blur
50 cent
Korn ?
Seal ?
Radiohead
Bee Gees

MrCinatit
12-03-2005, 08:49 AM
Trying to figure out the five faces on the TV screens in the building window, the pink scissors, and the yellow "20". :lol:

five faces = talking heads
yellow 20 appears to be made of matchbooks - Matchbook 20

the pink scissors...i donno...cutting crew? bad guess there.

oh, yeah, i also detect a Hole, some Beach Boys, and a Crowded House.
is that house in the background Deep Purple?

GAC
12-03-2005, 09:50 AM
five faces = talking heads
yellow 20 appears to be made of matchbooks - Matchbook 20

I would have never got that one! :lol:

oh, yeah, i also detect a Hole, some Beach Boys, and a Crowded House.
is that house in the background Deep Purple?

I thought the guys carrying the surf boards would probably be synonymous with the Beach Boys.

I guess the purple house "deep" into the foreground could be Deep Purple. ;)

I thought the girl with the guy next to the Cowboy might be Jane's Addiction, but I thought that might be a stretch.

You really need to be able to clearly blow this pic up to see stuff/clues in the windows/background.

RedsIn07
12-03-2005, 04:52 PM
Blind melon, Red Hot Chili Peppers Lemon heads, The Vines, The Eels, Scissor Sisters, White Zombie, The Eagles, Iron Maiden, Rolling Stones, The Doors, Dead Kennedys, Postal Service, Blur, Sex Pistols, The Gorillaz, The B-52s?, Great White, Jewel/ Jem, Main Street, Radiohead, Cypryss Hill, Nine Inch Nails, MatchBox 20, Prince, Queen, White Snake, 50 Cent, Guns n Roses, Garbage, Alice in Chains, and Manic Street Preachers?

savafan
12-03-2005, 04:58 PM
Is that Men at Work up on top of the building?

Also, the three fairies around the Virgin Digital banner, could that be The Pixies?

KronoRed
12-03-2005, 05:19 PM
You really need to be able to clearly blow this pic up to see stuff/clues in the windows/background.
This is as big as I found it..if I find a better one I'll post it

The coin is The Presidents Of The United States :D

Yachtzee
12-03-2005, 06:26 PM
Madonna - is in the Shop window (Picture of Virgin Mary and Baby Jesus)
Dinosaur Jr. - behind the Queen
Green Day - Calendar on the veggie cart
Korn - Corn in the veggie cart

GAC
12-04-2005, 05:50 AM
Us older guys have a harder time because we aren't familiar with some of these newer bands.... and especially where they come up with some of these names!!

Life was so much simplier when it was... Beatles, Dave Clark 5, Monkees, Byrds, Beach Boys, Four Seasons.

Now you got.... Alice In Chains, Nine Inch Nails, and Cowboy Junkies.

There is actually a band called Butthole Surfers. :lol:

Yachtzee
12-04-2005, 12:43 PM
Us older guys have a harder time because we aren't familiar with some of these newer bands.... and especially where they come up with some of these names!!

Life was so much simplier when it was... Beatles, Dave Clark 5, Monkees, Byrds, Beach Boys, Four Seasons.

Now you got.... Alice In Chains, Nine Inch Nails, and Cowboy Junkies.

There is actually a band called Butthole Surfers. :lol:

Regarding the picture, I'm sure there are some Euro bands mixed in as well, considering the picture is an ad for Virgin Megastores.

As far as all the crazy new names that bands come up with, isn't it really done out of necessity? Aren't all the basic names taken up by now? You have to get creative if you don't want to infringe on someone else's trademarks and copyrights. I seem to remember back in the late '80s/early '90s when some popular British bands were forced to put "UK" after their names because some small-time band in the US had taken the name first.

ochre
12-04-2005, 01:34 PM
are those the go-gos crossing the street?

westofyou
12-04-2005, 01:59 PM
There is actually a band called Butthole Surfers.And they rock

Ravenlord
12-04-2005, 07:20 PM
As far as all the crazy new names that bands come up with, isn't it really done out of necessity? Aren't all the basic names taken up by now? You have to get creative if you don't want to infringe on someone else's trademarks and copyrights. I seem to remember back in the late '80s/early '90s when some popular British bands were forced to put "UK" after their names because some small-time band in the US had taken the name first.
Savatage had to change their name from Avatar because a German garage band who never released an album had it copyrighted.

LincolnparkRed
12-04-2005, 07:27 PM
the pink scissors...i donno...cutting crew? bad guess there.

the pink scissors are for the scissor sisters, I don't know what they sing but I know there band name is a slang term in lesbian circles.

mole44
12-09-2005, 02:00 AM
Well thanks to you guys and my friend, we have found only 54....sigh, there are soooo many more....

Johnny Footstool
12-09-2005, 10:57 AM
Cornershop (they released "Brimful of Asha")
Twisted Sister (the two contortionists in the street)

registerthis
12-09-2005, 10:59 AM
Dang.

No Barenaked Ladies.

OldRightHander
12-09-2005, 12:00 PM
I only knew some of the older ones, since my musical tastes tend to run more off the beaten path. I've never heard of a lot of these newer bands.

Rojo
12-09-2005, 11:09 PM
The coin is 50 cent.

vaticanplum
12-10-2005, 01:55 AM
I've just spent about two hours on this. What a procrastination godsend.

part of the problem is that this is not the whole picture. I went looking for it and it is here:

http://www.heavy.com/heavy.php?channel=virginGame

with a MAGNIFYING GLASS.

So here's what I have that I don't think has been covered:
Cake
The Scorpions
Skinny Puppy
Pet Shop Boys
those are all from the part that was missing.

Then this is what I have that I don't think has been mentioned yet:
Bikini Kills (poster in the window)
Pink (sky)
White Stripes (on the street)
the Killers? There's also a band called the Little Killers
Eminem (spilled on the road)
Bee Gees (on the building, I never would have found this without the magnifying glass)
I think the Lovin Spoonful somebody had is just Spoon
the Streets
Subways
the plants could be any number of things. Bush, but I'm leaning towards Roots Manuva

I'm very intrigued also by the oranges in the cart. They could be the Oranges Band, they could be the Small Faces.

and to the Crowded House guess -- is that for the windows? There are two windows, I think maybe one is a Crowded House and one is a Bloc Party

How many have we got left?

Whoever got Cornershop, that's brilliant. I totally forgot they existed. I'm going to go home and listen to them now I think.

TC81190
12-10-2005, 03:19 AM
Gorillaz, that's obvious, I'm surprised only one person before me got that.

Sean_CaseyRules
12-13-2005, 03:23 PM
Im guessing that the guns that the woman has is sex pistols cause they look like pink.....well i dont know if ill get in trouble