PDA

View Full Version : Clark Griswold asks for HELP with Christmas Lights!

LoganBuck
12-03-2005, 04:12 PM
Ok I am trying to get my outdoor Christmas Lights up. All of my lights are less than 4 years old. 5 sets (3 of icicles, 2 straight) have issues. On three set only half the lights work. The others 2 are just toast. Why are these things made so cheaply? When I was a kid it seemed like we had the same light sets for decades. I have already checked all the lights and the fuses I don't know why they aren't working. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Matt700wlw
12-03-2005, 04:15 PM
I thought they were "Holiday Lights." :D

paintmered
12-03-2005, 04:15 PM
Why are these things made so cheaply?

So people like you and me will be forced to buy them every other year.

westofyou
12-03-2005, 06:29 PM
So people like you and me will be forced to buy them every other year.
Also so you could just toss em in the landfill like so many others do. :bang:

Reds Nd2
12-03-2005, 06:43 PM
You take 'em down?

GAC
12-04-2005, 04:44 AM
Why are these things made so cheaply? When I was a kid it seemed like we had the same light sets for decades.

We live in a disposable society where things are no longer designed to last or have any enduring factor. That way you are constantly in a state of buying. Some call it consumerism. ;)

I have already checked all the lights and the fuses I don't know why they aren't working. Does anyone have any suggestions?

http://www.azpartsmaster.com/shopazp/images/catalog/gshop/CO3200GY.jpg

I quit putting them up years ago. But when we did - my wife would always throw them out after the Holidays - because you know something is gonna happen to them in the course of that year where they arent gonna work the next time - and then go down to the stores in January and buy new ones when they were giving them away for .50/box.

We love to drive around and look at the lights, and the various ways that people decorate their houses. We even have a contest here. And people are very inventive.

I'm just glad it's their houses, and not mine. ;)

IMO - Christmas lights are alot like Christmas cards. A huge waste of time and money. If you really want me to have a Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays - send me cash! ;)

LoganBuck
12-04-2005, 04:59 PM
Victory is mine! I managed to fix 3 of the sets. Pulled all questionable bulbs, and found a couple loose bulbs. Saved myself about $12 in lights. Small victories.

GAC
12-04-2005, 08:45 PM
Saved myself about $12 in lights. Small victories.

How many man hours did it take you to find the problem that saved you $12?

Now ask yourself if it was worth it. ;)

westofyou
12-04-2005, 08:57 PM
How many man hours did it take you to find the problem that saved you $12?

Now ask yourself if it was worth it. ;)
He saved the pain of filling up the earth with plastic... good man Logan.

SandyD
12-05-2005, 12:11 AM
You should be proud, Logan. I remember long hours trying to find the one bad bulb that kept the whole string from working.

Some people here are decorating their FEMA trailers with Christmas lights. I think the local newspaper or TV station should have a contest for the best decorated FEMA trailer.

LoganBuck
12-05-2005, 12:26 AM
Almost 2 hours, but I was more satisfied fixing the lights than I would have been to drive 20 miles to Lowes each way. ($5 gas+time spent)

Sandy that is so sad on so many levels. I made sure that my son (3.5 years old) picked out a toy to buy for a child that was affected by the Hurricanes. He and my infant son, are the only grandkids on either side of my family, so they get inundated with gifts. I was afraid he was missing the good side of Christmas. He was so excited to get a RC Car for a "boy that doesn't have any toys, because the Wurricane took his."

Remember to kick in a few extra bucks this year for charity everyone.

GAC
12-05-2005, 08:18 AM
He saved the pain of filling up the earth with plastic... good man Logan.

He only delayed the inevitable. ;)

LoganBuck
12-05-2005, 12:25 PM
He only delayed the inevitable. ;)

Pretty much!

GAC
12-05-2005, 08:11 PM
I enjoyed putting lights up when the kids were younger (and so was I). I did it more for them then anything else.

And we love going out and seeing various Christmas light displays. I guess it's all part of the Holiday spirit/tradition.

There is a housing development south of Springfield where all the houses go all-out in decorating. People from all over go there during the season just to see the various displays. Also, the Clifton Mill, down by John Bryant Park, does a very nice display.