PDA

View Full Version : You're Reggie Bush...

Caveat Emperor
12-04-2005, 11:12 PM
Alright, I got into a debate with a friend of mine about this tonight (instead of studying corporate formations, which I should have)...

You're Reggie Bush. It's looking like you're a solid lock to be the Heisman winner. It's looking more and more like you're going to be the #1 overall draft pick (and, if not that, at least one of the top 3). You're being compared to Gayle Sayers as the greatest athlete at running back to come out of the draft in decades, possibly ever.

The only thing standing between you and a guaranteed $40+ million dollar payday is the National Championship game against Texas in January. You've already got one title under your belt from last year. You, quite literally, have nothing to gain and everything to lose by playing in this game (see: McGahee, Willis).

Big question: Do you find some reason to sit this one out? Develop a "ankle sprain" in practice the week leading up the game? Come down with a bad case of the flu the day or night prior? Do you tell Coach Carroll (privately) that you don't want to risk your financial future and your livelihood on a game that does nothing but underline an already stellar career?

Me? I'm not sure...but I think sitting this one out is a mighty tempting option. I'd be curious what others think.

redsfan30
12-04-2005, 11:21 PM
Absoluelty not.

If you want to sit out a regular season game against a poor opponent, that's one thing.....but to sit out a National Championship game? No way. That sends a real bad message to NFL scouts....I'm about me, not the team.

No way in the world he would even consider sitting out.

StillFunkyB
12-04-2005, 11:24 PM
Absoluelty not.

If you want to sit out a regular season game against a poor opponent, that's one thing.....but to sit out a National Championship game? No way. That sends a real bad message to NFL scouts....I'm about me, not the team.

No way in the world he would even consider sitting out.

^What they said.

RBA
12-04-2005, 11:39 PM
My jaw just dropped. I can't believe anyone would consider it. No question in my mind. I suit up and give the Longhorns a spanking.

Joseph
12-04-2005, 11:41 PM
Not a chance.

Newport Red
12-04-2005, 11:43 PM
That has Leon written all over it.

KronoRed
12-04-2005, 11:53 PM
Don't tempt fate, you choose not to play and you slip on the sideline and break a leg ;)

paintmered
12-05-2005, 12:07 AM
If I am Reggie Bush, I play and gain 350 all-purpose yards and have my name written in the history books.

Betterread
12-05-2005, 01:00 AM
If I am Reggie Bush, I play and gain 350 all-purpose yards and have my name written in the history books.
Exactly. But even to participate in 2 years in a row in a national championship game must get any ballplayer excited, I don't care who you are.

Sabo Fan
12-05-2005, 01:52 AM
Now way should Bush beg out of this game. While he does risk injury like everyone else who steps onto a football field, I think his chances of injury are significantly lower than almost anyone elses. From what I've seen of Reggie Bush, it seems to me that one of the reasons the guy is so effective is because he never takes a direct hit. He's so shifty and elusive that he either has to just be pushed out of bounds or tripped up by some defender who's only option is to throw their arms out in hopes of getting a piece of him. I'd say that the chances of him getting seriously injured are pretty low right now, at least until he has to go up against the big boys on Sundays.

OnBaseMachine
12-05-2005, 11:20 AM
No way.

Reggie is a competitor and this will never even cross his mind. Matter of fact, he has stated that there is still a solid chance that he could return for his senior year. USC has something special going on...and the players obviously recognize that, i.e. Leinart staying for his senior year, LenDale White being quoted on Saturday as saying he will return next year.

Spring~Fields
12-05-2005, 11:37 AM
Reggie is great and will show up to play, it will be interesting to see how he does against a team that actually knows how to tackle.

rdiersin
12-05-2005, 11:38 AM
The problem I see is that if it is leaked that Bush sat out, then that also costs him, probably big. There would have to be a lot of concern if you were an NFL team and a player sat out of a championship. I would think that would drop him at least five to ten slots in the draft, and cost him quite a bit of money.

Danny Serafini
12-05-2005, 11:51 AM
If Bush begged out he'd rank a few spots below Maurice Clarett on the character scale in the eyes of NFL people.

Heath
12-05-2005, 11:54 AM
If I am Reggie Bush, I have insurance.

After the game, I'm going online to www.realtor.com/houston to check out my new "home".

gonelong
12-05-2005, 12:18 PM
If I am Reggie Bush, I have insurance.

Exact-a-mundo.

OnBaseMachine
12-05-2005, 01:07 PM
Bush says stepdad is wrong
LaMar Griffin was 'putting words in my mouth' in telling the media the tailback is ready for the NFL.

By TODD HARMONSON
The Orange County Register

LOS ANGELES USC tailback Reggie Bush insisted Sunday that he hasn't decided if he will leave a season early for the NFL and said he told his father to stop saying it would happen.

LaMar Griffin, who actually is Bush's stepfather though neither uses the term, repeated in a televised interview Saturday assertions he has made to reporters that Bush is ready for the NFL. It was nothing new from Griffin, but it received significant attention that prompted Bush to pull him aside in the USC locker room.

"He was really putting words in my mouth," said Bush, who could be the top pick in the April draft but has said the potential need for shoulder surgery could prompt his return. "I talked to him about that. I haven't made any decision. I told him that for him to say that just really kind of put me out there and just put me with my back to the wall.

"So I talked to him about that and told him, 'If I haven't made a decision yet, you shouldn't be out there telling people what I'm gonna do or what you think I should do.'"

Trojans coach Pete Carroll said he will meet with USC players such as Bush who are considering leaving early the week before Christmas. Tailback LenDale White, wide receiver Steve Smith, offensive linemen Winston Justice and Fred Matua, safety Darnell Bing and defensive end Lawrence Jackson all are potential candidates.

Carroll is adamant that players should stay in school, though he conceded there are rare exceptions and said Bush might be one.

NOTES

The Trojans won't begin Rose Bowl practices until Saturday so they can concentrate on finals. ... Bush, quarterback Matt Leinart, wide receiver Dwayne Jarrett and left guard Taitusi Lutui will leave Wednesday to attend an awards show in Orlando, and Bush and Leinart should be in New York for Saturday's Heisman Trophy presentation.

LoganBuck
12-05-2005, 01:39 PM
I think the better question is do the Colts rest their guys once they clinch home field? How important is an undefeated season versus getting some rest for the nagging injuries?

GoReds
12-05-2005, 01:45 PM
We are talking about Reggie Bush, right? Not Ricky Williams?