PDA

View Full Version : Carlos Hernandez anyone??

Willy
12-10-2005, 09:17 PM
Carlos Hernandez allowed one run in eight innings and struck out seven yesterday for Magallanes of the VWL.
Hernandez is 6-1 with a 3.00 ERA in eight starts in Venezuela. He's going to be a very good minor league signing for some team, and a guaranteed deal can't be ruled out. (Rotoworld)

This guy was a very good prospect before injuries took over.

Dan O should know alittle bit about this guy and should be able to get him to sign with the Reds, from his days in Houston.

Team Clark
12-10-2005, 09:26 PM
His makeup is incredible and he has a "SUPERIOR" curve. Above Average FB and above average change. Ummm Yes I would take him. He has better "stuff" than Williams and more pop than Claussen. He would be an excellent complement to Harang. He should be completely healthy now.

oneupper
12-10-2005, 09:31 PM
Why do we need Hernandez if we have Hancock, who was kicked off the same team (Magallanes) after logging a 8.84 ERA in 5 starts?

Mario-Rijo
12-11-2005, 01:01 AM
I think that would be worth a shot considering the talent level we have in many cases.

tts1stros
12-11-2005, 03:32 PM
I'm not sure he'll ever be an MLB pitcher again.

Carlos Hernandez was called up with Houston from AA in 2001. He was absolutely sensational. Astros fans were salivating. He hurt his shoulder sliding into second base, a memory which gives Astros fans recurring nightmares.

He rehabbed and came back in 2002, and showed promise, but he still had massive shoulder problems. He had another surgery, and missed the entire next season.

He started 2004 in AAA and we called him up. He was awful: fastball in the low 80s and no curve. Quickly sent him back to AAA.

We cut him loose this offseason; unfortunately, I think he's finished. He'll never be able to pitch in the majors again. Sad story.

ED44
12-12-2005, 02:22 PM
He definitely had the makings of an all-star early in his carer.

What is his fastball topping out at now? Anyone know?

Team Clark
12-12-2005, 02:48 PM
I was curious as to why no Major League teams were jumping on his recent bandwagon. So, I made some calls. He's topping at 87MPH. Consistently 84-86. YIKES!! That is BP all they way. His curve is still there but his changeup is less effective do the drop in FB velocity. Compared with my old notes Carlos looks like a decent Division II starter.

ED44
12-12-2005, 02:57 PM
I was curious as to why no Major League teams were jumping on his recent bandwagon. So, I made some calls. He's topping at 87MPH. Consistently 84-86. YIKES!! That is BP all they way. His curve is still there but his changeup is less effective do the drop in FB velocity. Compared with my old notes Carlos looks like a decent Division II starter.

YIKES! is right. If all it takes is consistenly throwing 84-86 and having a good curve ball then I should head to a tryout. Since no one is wanting him, I guess I will have to stick it out here at the office & do some more cool accounting. :bang:

Willy
12-12-2005, 05:26 PM
With a scouting report like that I would be willng to bet the Reds will sign him in the coming weeks:rolleyes:

Team Clark
12-13-2005, 03:14 PM
Willy... you could be on to something. Kremchek usually has two or three "project" players every year. Mateo, Griffey, Womack, Rolen, P.Wilson, Harnisch and who can forget Scott Williamson who must have a tattoo that says "insert ligament here" next to his elbow. If we can get one Pete Schourek year from Hernandez...

guttle11
12-13-2005, 03:19 PM
No.

Chip R
12-13-2005, 03:21 PM

What's the problem? Sounds like he fits right into the current staff. ;)

KronoRed
12-13-2005, 04:07 PM
Agreed, the contact he would pitch is would be unbelievable

Willy
01-10-2006, 09:51 PM
Astros re-signed LHP Carlos Hernandez to a minor league contract and invited him to spring training.
Hernandez helped his chances of receiving serious consideration for a rotation spot by going 7-1 with a 3.27 ERA in the Venezuelan Winter League. He's probably never going to the pitcher it looked like it might become before he began having shoulder problems, but he could be an adequate option at the bottom of a rotation. Jan. 9 - 2:57 pm et

per rotoworld

M2
01-10-2006, 11:56 PM
He's left-handed and still fairly young. A guy like Hernandez would have been worth a roll of the dice. Sometimes velocity rebounds. DanO may talk the "bounce back" game, but he looks for it in all the wrong places, namely in thritysomething veterans.

REDREAD
01-11-2006, 11:57 AM
With a scouting report like that I would be willng to bet the Reds will sign him in the coming weeks:rolleyes:

DanO will probably figure that he can make it in the bullpen :)
Actually, I said that joking, but a velocity challenged lefty with a good curve can make it in the pen.

TRF
01-11-2006, 12:20 PM
He's left-handed and still fairly young. A guy like Hernandez would have been worth a roll of the dice. Sometimes velocity rebounds. DanO may talk the "bounce back" game, but he looks for it in all the wrong places, namely in thritysomething veterans.

In order for a player to bounce back, shouldn't said player have bounced in the first place? Williams? Wilson? Milton? These guys bounced about as much as Play Dough.

M2
01-11-2006, 12:49 PM
In order for a player to bounce back, shouldn't said player have bounced in the first place? Williams? Wilson? Milton? These guys bounced about as much as Play Dough.

I'd argue the real bounce back a team like the Reds should be looking for isn't an old lion looking to bag one more gazelle, it's a young one that got banged up, but might be able to hunt for a long time.

Astrobuddy
01-13-2006, 05:32 PM
He throws as hard as Pettitte right now, so he may end up being a different type pitcher than he was on track to be, but still could be very good.