PDA

View Full Version : Bush Wins in Landslide!!!!!!!!! Go Bush!!!!! He will lead us to Victory!!!!

RBA
12-10-2005, 10:20 PM
:evil: :beerme:

Updated: Dec. 10, 2005, 9:04 PM ET
USC's Bush wins Heisman by seismic margin

Associated Press

NEW YORK -- Reggie Bush (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=145158) left the competition behind -- as usual.

Southern California's incomparable tailback won the Heisman Trophy as college football's best player Saturday night over Texas quarterback Vince Young (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=135107) and USC quarterback Matt Leinart (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=120511), last year's winner.

Flashing uncanny acceleration and ability to change direction, Bush has conjured up memories of Gale Sayers, drawn comparisons to Marshall Faulk (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=2728), Barry Sanders and Tony Dorsett, and is the favorite to be the No. 1 pick in April's NFL draft.

Bush and Leinart will be the first Heisman winners to play in a college game together when USC goes for a third straight national title against Texas in the Rose Bowl on Jan. 4.

This year's Heisman race appeared tight for much of the season, with Bush making a big statement in mid-October against Notre Dame. He ran for 160 yards and three touchdowns in South Bend, Ind., and provided the final push Leinart needed to score the winning TD in the closing seconds of a classic 34-31 victory.

But Bush was relatively quiet right after the Notre Dame game and Young seemed to have pulled ahead, with talk that two candidates from USC would cancel each other out.

That was until the night of Nov. 19, when Bush left Fresno State repeatedly grasping at air and onlookers grasping for superlatives to describe a performance that had to be seen to be truly appreciated.

He ran for 295 yards, racked up 513 all-purpose yards -- the second-highest total in NCAA history -- and USC escaped with a 50-42 victory.

If there was still any doubt Bush was best, he dispelled it against UCLA, running for 260 yards and two touchdowns in a 66-19 victory. Only the lopsided score kept Bush from doing even more damage.

As the Trojans completed another perfect regular season, it seemed a foregone conclusion that Bush would become the fifth USC tailback to win the Heisman, following Mike Garrett, O.J. Simpson, Charles White and Marcus Allen (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=180790).

The 200-pounder from Spring Valley, Calif., just outside of San Diego, ran for 1,658 yards this season, a dizzying average of 8.9 yards per carry, while leading the nation in all-purpose yards with 217.9 per game.

USC now has produced seven Heisman winners, matching the record held by Notre Dame, and an unprecedented three in four years, starting with quarterback Carson Palmer (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=6337) in 2002

OnBaseMachine
12-10-2005, 10:23 PM
Reggie Bush is a class act! Love that guy.

Best player I've ever seen.

BTW, I hope USC crushes Texas and I have a feeling they will, especially now that Young and his teammates are talking trash.

MWM
12-11-2005, 12:04 AM
Reggie Bush is a class act! Love that guy.

Amen to that. He's an easy guy to root for and one of the best college football players of all time. He's class personified. I love how he completely avoided the Vince Young talk and didn't get dragged into it, even though ESPN was trying as hard as they could to drag him into it. Vince's comments this week made me lose a lot of respect for that guy. Bush's behavior this week made me think even higher of him.

remdog
12-11-2005, 12:19 AM
I agree that he is a class act. The NFL team that gets him will be blessed indeed. And, personally, regardless of what the above article says, Vince Young was never in this contest.

Rem

Unassisted
12-11-2005, 01:03 AM
I'm neither a fan of the team in Austin nor enemy of Reggie Bush, but if USC had lost to Notre Dame, and Bush had had identical stats, the award would have gone to Vince Young. The Heisman is just a bunch of ABC/ESPN-induced logrolling for the biggest name on the #1 BCS team now. The Heisman-givers (which is not the DAC anymore, right?) should just skip the charade of voting and let the president of ESPN give the award. :thumbdown

It's also annoying that only offensive backs get serious consideration as the "most outstanding player" in the college game. Some top teams <ahem, Ohio State> have more outstanding players on defense than offense.

traderumor
12-11-2005, 01:19 AM
I'm neither a fan of the team in Austin nor enemy of Reggie Bush, but if USC had lost to Notre Dame, and Bush had had identical stats, the award would have gone to Vince Young. The Heisman is just a bunch of ABC/ESPN-induced logrolling for the biggest name on the #1 BCS team now. The Heisman-givers (which is not the DAC anymore, right?) should just skip the charade of voting and let the president of ESPN give the award. :thumbdown

It's also annoying that only offensive backs get serious consideration as the "most outstanding player" in the college game. Some top teams <ahem, Ohio State> have more outstanding players on defense than offense.

I'm thinking Orlando Pace made it to the seats his last year as a Buckeye. Charles Woodson won it one year as a DB, also, but it was also in part because he played offense and ran a punt back against the Buckeyes in The Game :rolleyes:

GAC
12-11-2005, 07:23 AM
I agree that he is a class act. The NFL team that gets him will be blessed indeed. And, personally, regardless of what the above article says, Vince Young was never in this contest.

Rem

I got a guy at work that swears up and down that Vince Young will tear USC's defense apart. But I let it go because he is also a diehard Bengal's fan. ;)

Looks like he will end up in Hosuton, unless a team like SF or GB can pry the pick from them.

remdog
12-11-2005, 10:18 AM
USC's defense is so-so. In that regard, Young may very well have a big day. But the Heisman has nothing to do with that.

Looks like he will end up in Hosuton, unless a team like SF or GB can pry the pick from them.

One good reason that Bush may pull a "Leinart" and come back to USC for his senior year. :)

Rem

WMR
12-11-2005, 10:29 AM
USC's defense is so-so. In that regard, Young may very well have a big day. But the Heisman has nothing to do with that.

One good reason that Bush may pull a "Leinart" and come back to USC for his senior year. :)

Rem

PREDICTION: While I think he's definitely going pro, if the NYJ have the 1st pick, which is a definite possibility, he goes pro no question. He wouldn't pass up a pick for a New York market. But then you have to ask the question, would the NYJ draft him? They might need a QB, as Pennington's career might very well be over!! I still say they pick Bush.

Houston??? He still probably goes, but, yeah, your right, I'd not be as totally surprised to see him come back.

It's just so incredibly risky to pass up being the guaranteed #1 overall pick. Heck just look at Leinart, he's certainly severely injured his chances of going #1 overall. It still could happen, but the chances aren't anywhere close to last year. (Not that this is a bad thing, for what he was looking for.) I just don't see Bush as being in love with the idea of coming back to USC when he can go #1. Leinart was one in a million in that respect.

OnBaseMachine
12-11-2005, 11:46 AM
Nm.

remdog
12-11-2005, 02:21 PM
Agree that Bush more likely to go pro than Leinart.

Leinart will still be a first round pick and if he lands with a team that's building (say Cleveland) he's better off that being #1 with a team that's hopeless.

Bush will likely make a more immediate impart for whichever team drafts him.

Rem

RedsBaron
12-11-2005, 05:47 PM
Amen to that. He's an easy guy to root for and one of the best college football players of all time. He's class personified. I love how he completely avoided the Vince Young talk and didn't get dragged into it, even though ESPN was trying as hard as they could to drag him into it. Vince's comments this week made me lose a lot of respect for that guy. Bush's behavior this week made me think even higher of him.
I watched Bush on the CBS pregame today. He really does appear to be a classy young man. He is the most dynamic running back that I have seen in years.

GAC
12-11-2005, 09:13 PM
Looks like Houston sewed up that #1 pick today. :lol: