PDA

View Full Version : The Cars reforming with Todd Rundgren

pedro
12-12-2005, 03:38 AM
This is just weird....

Rundgren Steps In For Ocasek In New Cars
November 20, 2005, 1:50 AM ET
Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.

Cars principals Elliot Easton and Greg Hawkes are teaming with veteran singer/songwriter Todd Rundgren in a new incarnation of pioneering new wave rock act the Cars, which will tour and possibly record an album next year. Rundgren will step in for Cars frontman Ric Ocasek, who has no plans to participate in the project. Cars bassist/vocalist Ben Orr died of cancer in 2000.

The original band split up in early 1988, after a 12-year-career that spawned such classics as "Just What I Needed," "Let's Go," "My Best Friend's Girl" and 1984's Orr-sung "Drive," the Cars' biggest hit at No. 3 on the Billboard Hot 100.

Billboard.com has learned that the New Cars are eyeing a 2006 tour with another legendary new wave rock outfit, but no details have yet been announced. Reaction to the news that Easton and Hawkes were pressing on without Ocasek and Orr has been mixed, but Rundgren defended the decision this week in a post on the Web site TRConnection.com.

"So now an opportunity has arisen for me to pay my bills, play to a larger audience, work with musicians I know and like, and ideally have some fun for a year," he wrote. "The catch is, a lot of people have been counting on something else," he said, referencing the disapproval of fans that are clamoring instead for a reunion of the Rundgren-featuring '70s band, Utopia.

"Let's make this clear: the possibility of a Utopia reunion of any kind has always been extremely remote," he said. "We disbanded for specific reasons that a previous reunion attempt [in 1992] only exacerbated. Despite whatever enjoyment we got from playing the music for our fans, the reformation left a sour taste. It would be ludicrous to Spinal Tap our way through a tour so fans could be satisfied that we simply showed up on the same stage. That's a redefinition of Utopia I can't personally handle."

Speculation about a Cars reunion has increased in recent years, as the band's influence has become apparent on such hit-making modern rock acts as Weezer and the Strokes. "We will be playing parts of the country we'd never get to otherwise, and hope to see you all there when we do," Rundgren said.

And although he is opting out of the new band, Ocasek told Billboard.com this summer that he was involved in assembling a Cars documentary, tentatively titled "The Cars Unlocked." No release date has been nailed down for the film.

"The backstage stuff is stuff in hotel rooms and dressing rooms," he said. "I think it will be a nice insight into what the Cars were really like. There's interviews, video outtakes, kind of just hamming it up, and some nice club things that probably people wouldn't have gotten to see, from way back. I think it's pretty telling. I think it's the most comprehensive thing that's ever been put out on the Cars."

KronoRed
12-12-2005, 04:21 AM
Wrong just wrong.

This is like Ringo going out on the road and calling it The New Beatles.

MrCinatit
12-12-2005, 05:27 AM
shame, because i was a huge Cars fan when i was in high school. then again, this was during a time when it was literally written law every person in the United States HAD to own a copy of Heartbeat City.

Unassisted
12-12-2005, 09:21 AM
What's next? Stewart Copeland and Andy Summers reforming The Police with Garth Brooks as the lead singer?

RedFanAlways1966
12-12-2005, 09:56 AM
The Cars had some big pop-rock hits in the 80's. I was more into the heavier stuff at the time (Judas PPriest, Iron Maiden, Ozzy, etc), but you had to admit that their songs were catchy.

With that being said, they had to be the most boring concert I ever attended in my life back in the day of their highjest popularity. Looked like a bunch of geeks just standing there. Not much movement, no great light show and hardly any emotion from the band.

Of course it won't be "The Cars" w/out Ocasek IMO. But if they can make a few old-Cars fans happy and make a buck doin' it, more power to them.

IowaRed
12-12-2005, 10:09 AM
I was a huge Cars fan back in the day. Benjamin Orr passed away a few years ago and now Ocasek isn't going to be with the group? Listening to/seeing this is of no interest to me at all :(

westofyou
12-12-2005, 10:14 AM
No David Robinson either?

BTW David and Jerry Harrison from the the Talking Heads were both in the Modern Lovers too.

marcshoe
12-12-2005, 10:18 AM
I didn't know Benjamin Orr had died. Good grief, what else have I missed? I was a big Cars fan back in the day.

I'm not sure I see a logical reason for this reunion. Let them form a new band and call them something else.

btw, didn't I read somewhere that Easton had worked on something with Click Five?

westofyou
12-12-2005, 10:20 AM
btw, didn't I read somewhere that Easton had worked on something with Click Five?Elliot recently was the lead guitar player for Creedence Clearwater Revisited.

Yep, a CCR band without Fogerty....... these are not untroddened grounds for Elliot.

MrCinatit
12-12-2005, 11:00 AM
i hear Led Zeppelin is opening for them. unfortunately, the group only consists of John Paul Jones and the guys from Trio.

M2
12-12-2005, 11:06 AM
No David Robinson either?

BTW David and Jerry Harrison from the the Talking Heads were both in the Modern Lovers too.

They're straight.

westofyou
12-12-2005, 11:13 AM
They're straight.
No doubt.

This band reunion reminds me of a line from the Squid and the Whale. The kid in the movie plays a song at the talent show and gets rave reviews about how great it was and wins $200 in the contest. Of course he tells everyone how he wrote it and how it is deep and all that.

The problem is the song is "Comfortably Numb"

When cornered by school authorities about why he lied he said, "I felt I could have written that song, so therefore the fact that I didn't write it has nothing to do with it."

BTW I saw the Cars at Hara Arena in 1981... It was louder than anything I'd seen up until then... painful.

pedro
12-12-2005, 12:09 PM
I loved the Cars in High School. My friend Bill (who was a wanna-be country boy) didn't. He said "they BEEP too much"

Roy Tucker
12-12-2005, 12:54 PM
BTW I saw the Cars at Hara Arena in 1981... It was louder than anything I'd seen up until then... painful.
I saw the Cars during that time at Hara as well. Not exactly sure about the year though.

Unless they cycled through Hara more than once during that era, we must have shared the same atmosphere.

CrackerJack
12-12-2005, 12:57 PM
Rundgren must have a lot of bills to pay.

macro
12-12-2005, 01:00 PM
I'm not sure I see a logical reason for this reunion.

http://www.faysboatyard.com/site_page_3840/images/one_dollar_bill.jpg

macro
12-12-2005, 01:07 PM
With that being said, they had to be the most boring concert I ever attended in my life back in the day of their highjest popularity. Looked like a bunch of geeks just standing there. Not much movement, no great light show and hardly any emotion from the band.

I will give my award to Boston and their Third Stage tour of 1987. I had looked forward to that concert ever since the band broke up in 1978, and was sorely disappointed. They even went so far as to play the Third Stage album IN TRACK ORDER in the middle of the concert, with no comment! They may as well as stood some cardboard cutouts up on the stage and put the CD on and let it play.

Other awards for boring concerts go to Alan Jackson, Dwight Yoakam, and George Strait. I saw each of them (seperately) during my "country music years" of the early 90s, and again, they acted like cardboard cutouts.

Back to The Cars, they seem to be one of those bands where very few people actually own a regular issue CD of theirs, yet almost everyone has their greatest hits CD tucked into their collection somewhere.

marcshoe
12-12-2005, 06:51 PM
iirc, they prided themselves on putting on a no frills concert. I remember hearing and interview in which the group members mocked the standard concert cliches, pretty much saying that the show was about the music, and standard antics were juvenile. Can't say I ever saw them live, though.

btw, this was the same interview where Ocasek admitted that his standard method of writing songs was to write a bunch of unrelated couplets and throw them together. This pretty much explains "Best Friend's Girl" (yeah, I edited this; I was thinking of the nuclear boots/drip dry gloves line). :)

Oh, and I still have a vinyl copy of their debut album stashed away somewhere, and in my late teens knew a bunch of people who owned both this and Candy-O.

'course this was before they released a Greatest Hits LP.

pedro
12-12-2005, 07:01 PM
Oh, and I still have a vinyl copy of their debut album stashed away somewhere, and in my late teens knew a bunch of people who owned both this and Candy-O.

Shoobi-do into Candy-O Rocks.

redsfanmia
12-12-2005, 07:24 PM
This is almost as bad as Paul Rodgers fronting Queen.

Reds Nd2
12-12-2005, 07:55 PM

Saw The Cars in '84(?) and it was the crappiest concert I've ever seen. I like The Cars but that show was the pinnacle of suckitude.

The loudest concert I've ever attended was Genesis, in '83. My ears haven't stopped ringing since.

cincinnati chili
12-12-2005, 08:59 PM
M2, maybe you can weigh in on this, since you lived in Boston during their heyday...

But I heard that the Cars were one of the worst live bands ever. Pretty much like going to a wax museum or to Showbiz pizza. A good friend of mine said that they pretty much just stood there, played note for note off the record with no improvisation or spontaneity.

Can anyone corroborate?

Edit: I missed about 10 posts where a lot of people said this. My bad.

Falls City Beer
12-12-2005, 09:11 PM
"Hello, It's Me (Again)" (Again)

cincinnati chili
12-12-2005, 09:27 PM
I didn't know Benjamin Orr had died. Good grief, what else have I missed?

Who's gonna tell you when...

Ben Orr's dead.

:rockband:

Who's gonna sing the things

Ben Orr did?

Reds Nd2
12-12-2005, 10:18 PM
A good friend of mine said that they pretty much just stood there, played note for note off the record with no improvisation or spontaneity.

Can anyone corroborate?

Your friend is correct. They just stood there and played their songs. No interaction with the crowd at all. I don't think Ocasek said two words the whole time. ZZTop left me feeling the same way after seeing them live. Drunk, bored, and a feeling that I can't wait to get home. Maybe it's me, but if I only want to listen to loud music, I'll stay home, throw on a CD and crank it up. Neighbors be damned.

Rock-n-Roll should kick you in the ass, especially live! Be it a bar band or a name band, it should leave you with some kind of feeling other than I can't wait to get out of here.

Ted Nugent in an outdoor concert, doing Wango Tango in the pouring rain. Seeing Steven Tyler singing my favorite song "Seasons of Wither" live. Watching a chick masterbating with a drum stick that Tommy Lee threw into the crowd and other assorted freakiness that only happens at live shows. Being there when Tom Petty keeps playing after they bring up the house lights...
Live shows should be an experiance that you never forget.

marcshoe
12-12-2005, 10:27 PM
Who's gonna tell you when...

Ben Orr's dead.

Who's gonna sing the things

Ben Orr did?

The answers would be: 1. Pedro 2. Todd Rundgren. :D

btw, Ric Ocasek is not allowed to complain about this. After marrying Paulina Porizkova, he is never allowed to complain about anything for the rest of his life. If he does, no one will take him seriously. ;)

M2
12-13-2005, 01:26 AM
M2, maybe you can weigh in on this, since you lived in Boston during their heyday...

But I heard that the Cars were one of the worst live bands ever. Pretty much like going to a wax museum or to Showbiz pizza. A good friend of mine said that they pretty much just stood there, played note for note off the record with no improvisation or spontaneity.

Can anyone corroborate?

I got to Boston after the Cars had gone Hollywood. Their Boston years were in the '70s, long before I got to town.

Though over the years I've heard bits and pieces about them. Supposedly when they were coming up they had a cool Brechtian disaffected stage thing going on. Plus, at that point their songs were great so they didn't have to a lot of selling.

Used to work with the guy who was the drummer for Human Sexual Response, The Zulus and Sugar and I remember him saying it used to bug a lot of bands that the Cars were so good when it didn't look like they were trying that hard. The Boston scene often has involved maximum stage effort and the Cars founded the American New Wave scene partially by standing there and looking cool. At least that was their schtick. I never saw them live. Wish I'd have caught them with the Go-Gos back in 1982 because there was this real cute girl I knew who went to that show and I'm pretty sure we'd have ended up in a ferocious liplock. Would have beaten the snot out of staying away from shows like that because I had to be a purist. "No Dorothy I won't see you at the Cars/Go-Gos show and play tonsil hockey with you. Thing is, I like Bad Brains and apparently I need to be glowering about that fact this weekend." But I digress. My guess is the Cars were a particularly bad arena band, but that they might have had some art house charm in a smaller venue.

pedro
12-13-2005, 02:15 AM
Thing is, I like Bad Brains and apparently I need to be glowering about that fact this weekend."

in the quest for the test to fulfill an achievement
everybody's only in it for themselves
when the fact of the matter is they just don't care
to extend a helping hand to anyone else
so tell me why, did you have to lie
and try to make me all confused about the U.S.A.
when the fact of the matter is you just don't care
to comprehend or understand a single word I say
I don't want to have I go against I

REDREAD
12-19-2005, 10:59 PM
Maybe I'm the only one, but I'd buy the CD if the "new Cars" put it out... just out of curiousity. Of course, I own a copy of "Door to Door" by them too.. They put it out in the late 80's.. Man, that was a bad album..

"She changed into her silk, I stood there drinking milk" :lol:

MrCinatit
12-20-2005, 07:34 AM
Maybe I'm the only one, but I'd buy the CD if the "new Cars" put it out... just out of curiousity. Of course, I own a copy of "Door to Door" by them too.. They put it out in the late 80's.. Man, that was a bad album..

While Door To Door helped define bad album, The Doors' Full Circle wrote the book.
because i own that album, i would also probably buy the new Cars cd, just so i could feel better about my own life.

Unassisted
12-20-2005, 09:17 PM
"She changed into her silk, I stood there drinking milk" :lol:I like "Door to Door" better than "Panorama." In fact, I'd prefer any track on either of those CDs over any track on a Ric Ocasek solo CD.

Since Rundgren is more like Ben Orr and I prefer Orr to Ocasek, I'm starting to think this new work might be better than I originally expected.

REDREAD
12-20-2005, 09:51 PM
I like "Door to Door" better than "Panorama." In fact, I'd prefer any track on either of those CDs over any track on a Ric Ocasek solo CD.

I don't have Panorama, so I don't think I'll be getting it now. :)

I agree, I'm willing to give the new album a chance. I'll probably buy it (if they make it), as I don't expect it to get much radio play.

pedro
12-21-2005, 01:06 AM

I love everything up through Shake it Up.

I'll sure go see them. How could you not?

I bet they won't record an album unless the tour rakes in the cash. If they do I'll probably get to listen to it on rhapsody and yeah, if i like it, I'll help them cash in. Why not. I went to High School from 1982-1986, the Cars were HUGE and I loved them, even if they are cheesy.

I saw the Tubes last year at it was great.

M2
12-21-2005, 01:30 AM
I saw the Tubes last year at it was great.

How could they not be?

Did they trot out a female vocalist for "Don't Touch Me There"?

pedro
12-21-2005, 01:53 AM
How could they not be?

Did they trot out a female vocalist for "Don't Touch Me There"?

Not that I remember, but they did play it, and Fee wore a computer monitor on his head. They also did "what do you want from life" and "white punks on dope"

it was epic :)

same place I will be seeing Camper Van Beethoven and Cracker with WOY on new years. Holds 620 people.