PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Beer

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5

Johnny Footstool
07-23-2007, 10:22 AM
A friend of mine bought a six pack of the new Miller Chill. It's advertised as "beer blended with lime and salt" -- sort of a prepackaged Corona with lime.

It tastes *exactly* like Zima. :laugh:

RichRed
07-23-2007, 10:28 AM
A friend of mine bought a six pack of the new Miller Chill. It's advertised as "beer blended with lime and salt" -- sort of a prepackaged Corona with lime.

It tastes *exactly* like Zima. :laugh:

That's what I thought too. In a word, bleccchh.

ThatPitchIsDunn
07-25-2007, 01:54 PM
When I was in college, there was a Chicago-area brewery called Three Floyd's that had their Alpha King and Pride and Joy on tap. They've since stopped distributing and opened a brewery/restaurant in Chicago. I miss my Thursday nights at Faegan's with 2 dollar Pride and Joys.

Newcastle and Smithwick's are my jam for the most part. Lately, I've discovered a beer from a northern California brewery called Lagunitas. The beer is called Censored Ale. I can't get enough of the stuff.

Cyclone792
11-10-2007, 12:16 AM
I just have to say, Arrogant Bastard Ale is the most rotten, vile brew I've ever tasted. A friend of mine throws a party a couple times a year where basically we fill a giant cooler full of the nastiest, craziest, worst beers we can find and pull them out randomly. (Yes, we like to torture ourselves.) It's widely acknowledged through the years that Arrogant Bastard is the worst thing you can pull.

Tonight, for the first time, I had an Arrogant Bastard Ale. The actual beer taste really wasn't all that bad, but the after-taste leaves quite a bit to be desired (I can still taste the after-taste right now actually).

That Arrogant Bastard reminded me somewhat of Sammy Adams Hallertau Imperial Pilsner. I picked up a few of those Sammy Hallertau's a few weeks ago, and that after-taste was incredibly strong.

deltachi8
11-10-2007, 12:44 PM
On my most recent trip to Houston I was treated to Real Ale Brewhouse Brown Ale while visiting my Girlfriend's parents. Quite impressive. Also liked the Real Ale Full Moon Pale Rye Ale.

MWM
11-10-2007, 12:55 PM
My new favorite beer:

http://www.corbinstreehouse.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/fat_tire_IMG_1189.jpg

jimbo
11-10-2007, 01:38 PM
Sam Adams' Summer Ale is pretty good stuff.

I tried this beer over the summer and surprisingly really liked it. I actually bought out everything my local store had because I knew it wouldn't be available during the winter. It'll taste just as good when it's cold outside as it does when it's hot.

OesterPoster
11-12-2007, 04:57 PM
Leinenkugel Sunset Wheat is possibly the greatest Alcoholic Beverage I have EVER tasted.

Brent

You can have the 3 remaining bottles in my fridge. I can't stomach that brew.

Leinenkugel's Oktoberfest brew, on the other hand, total awesomeness. Too bad I can't find it anywhere anymore. Next fall I'll make sure to buy several cases when it's available.

In the meantime, I'll cope with Leinenkugel's Red Lager. It's good stuff too.

paintmered
11-12-2007, 05:03 PM
My new favorite beer:

I was introduced to Fat Tire about two years ago in Colorado. It's excellent. It's just too bad it's unavailable for purchase east of the Mississippi.

Johnny Footstool
11-12-2007, 05:53 PM
I was introduced to Fat Tire about two years ago in Colorado. It's excellent. It's just too bad it's unavailable for purchase east of the Mississippi.

Sounds like a job for this guy...

http://classicautotags.com/images/burt_on_bandit_car_300_size_i1yx.jpg

MWM
11-12-2007, 05:59 PM

They just recently started redistributing it here in the Twin Cities some time this year.

pedro
11-12-2007, 06:05 PM
I like their Blue Paddle even better.

http://nohatnocattle.com/jibbajabba/blue-paddle-1.jpg

Redhook
11-12-2007, 08:24 PM
My new favorite beer:

Your new favorite beer, my old favorite beer. It's slipped a little in my rankings. I do, however, remember exactly where I was when I first had Fat Tire and how I instantly proclaimed, "this is the best beer I've ever had." I was at the Denver airport after going on a skiing vacation to Vail/Copper Mountain. It does kind of blow that you can't get it around Cincinnati.

Anchor Steam is another great beer I recently had. I love going out West, the beer is so much better out there.

BTW, Great Lakes Burning River Ale is my favorite beer. I don't see that changing anytime soon either. That's one heck of brewing company. All there beers are great.

Speaking of Great Lakes, I went to Zip's in Mount Lookout on Saturday night and they have Great Lakes Christmas Ale on tap right now. That's a great beer too, I was very pleasantly surprised.

BoydsOfSummer
11-12-2007, 09:00 PM
You can have the 3 remaining bottles in my fridge. I can't stomach that brew.

Leinenkugel's Oktoberfest brew, on the other hand, total awesomeness. Too bad I can't find it anywhere anymore. Next fall I'll make sure to buy several cases when it's available.

I had the wheat the other night at my fav pub. Loved it. Got crap-hammered on it in fact. :D I'll try some of their other offerings if I run into them.

westofyou
11-12-2007, 09:04 PM
Anchor Steam is another great beer I recently had. I love going out West, the beer is so much better out there.

The Anchor Christmas Ale is always the one you have to try and get, especially from the tap, currently it's Winter Ale time, they're all starting to pop up. I like Deschutes Jubulale, Sierra Nevada's Celebration is my fave, New Belgium has one on the guest tap at my local pub, it's called 2 Below.

Yachtzee
11-12-2007, 09:23 PM
Your new favorite beer, my old favorite beer. It's slipped a little in my rankings. I do, however, remember exactly where I was when I first had Fat Tire and how I instantly proclaimed, "this is the best beer I've ever had." I was at the Denver airport after going on a skiing vacation to Vail/Copper Mountain. It does kind of blow that you can't get it around Cincinnati.

BTW, Great Lakes Burning River Ale is my favorite beer. I don't see that changing anytime soon either. That's one heck of brewing company. All there beers are great.

Speaking of Great Lakes, I went to Zip's in Mount Lookout on Saturday night and they have Great Lakes Christmas Ale on tap right now. That's a great beer too, I was very pleasantly surprised.

You can tell it's the holiday season when Giant Eagle starts putting the cases of Christmas Ale out. Have you ever had the Commodore Perry IPA? I noticed it in the beer cooler this year for the first time in forever. Another good beer, especially if you like Burning River.

paintmered
11-12-2007, 09:24 PM
Has anyone had any of the Mt. Carmel brews? Their copper ale got rave reviews from my beer snob coworkers.

LoganBuck
11-12-2007, 09:35 PM
I love Sam Adams Oktoberfest. I don't stock up on it though. I would rather look forward to it showing up somewhere on tap.

I love Anchor Steam

If you get down to Tennessee the Smoky Mountain Brewery makes some nice brews as well.

Cyclone792
11-12-2007, 10:18 PM
I love Sam Adams Oktoberfest. I don't stock up on it though. I would rather look forward to it showing up somewhere on tap.

I've had Sammy Octoberfest on tap quite a bit this year in several places, and it is simply phenomenal. I was at a bar in Centerville back in September one night that had Sammy Octoberfest on tap for $2 a pint.

Unfortunately, demand was so high this year that the brewery ran out early and what's left has already disappeared from the shelves completely.

Redhook
11-13-2007, 08:27 AM
You can tell it's the holiday season when Giant Eagle starts putting the cases of Christmas Ale out. Have you ever had the Commodore Perry IPA? I noticed it in the beer cooler this year for the first time in forever. Another good beer, especially if you like Burning River.

I've had Commodore Perry and it kicked my arse. It's good, but man is it strong. Isn't the alcohol content around 7.9%? That's a lot higher than the 5.5-6.0 I'm used to.

I love Sammy Oktoberfest as well. Great Lakes and Sam Adams make great beers. It's pretty difficult to get quite a few beers listed in this thread, but at least in Cincinnati we can get Great Lakes and Sam.

Highlifeman21
11-13-2007, 08:53 AM
For all you heiferweizen fans out there, Widmer makes a mighty taste one.

westofyou
11-13-2007, 09:36 AM

That they do, they probably do that best, they can't seem to be known for anything else in this town.

Roy Tucker
11-13-2007, 10:28 AM

Had that over the weekend. Good stuff.

A couple years back, I ordered an Arrogant Bastard at some bar in the Gaslight District in SD. Instead of a pint glass like every other beer, they served it in a smaller bowl glass. Evidently its alcohol content was so high, by law, they had to serve a smaller portion of it.

It was strong beer, both in potentcy and taste. A little too much for my tastes.

westofyou
11-13-2007, 10:41 AM

A couple years back, I ordered an Arrogant Bastard at some bar in the Gaslight District in SD. Instead of a pint glass like every other beer, they served it in a smaller bowl glass. Evidently its alcohol content was so high, by law, they had to serve a smaller portion of it.

It was strong beer, both in potentcy and taste. A little too much for my tastes.

A big mover these days at the pubs here are Imperial Ales, they too are served in glasses not pints, so you get 10oz for about $3.50. The alcohol content lingers around 9%-10%.

There is a brewery here called Hair of the Dog that serves only high boozed beer

http://www.hairofthedog.com/

http://www.hairofthedog.com/art/AdamLogo.gif

SunDeck
11-13-2007, 11:14 AM
I've been drinking SA brown ale lately. A nice brew. I know a lot of purists were down on SA because they contract brew, but I think their dedication to ingredients and quality brewing is genuine. And there's that Cincinnati connection, too.

I hadn't had any Sierra Nevada Pale Ale in a while, so I bought six pack last weekend. I absolutely love that stuff.

But if I'm out and can find it on tap, I'll always reach for an Arrogant Bastard or a Highland Gaelic Ale.

http://www.summertimebrews.com/graphics/highlandbrewing.gif

Highlifeman21
11-13-2007, 11:18 AM
Maybe the lovers of IPAs can help me out as to why I don't like them and just can't seem to finish a bottle or pint when in front of me. Maybe it's the aftertaste?

westofyou
11-13-2007, 11:22 AM
Maybe the lovers of IPAs can help me out as to why I don't like them and just can't seem to finish a bottle or pint when in front of me. Maybe it's the aftertaste?

Hops, hops, hops. Hops are the Brie of the beer world, musky and strong they can and often are the thing that shapes the IPA, if you don't like your beer sitting on your tongue after it goes down, then you probably don't care for IPA's

WMR
11-13-2007, 11:23 AM
Michelob Ultra

Highlifeman21
11-13-2007, 11:26 AM
Hops, hops, hops. Hops are the Brie of the beer world, musky and strong they can and often are the thing that shapes the IPA, if you don't like your beer sitting on your tongue after it goes down, then you probably don't care for IPA's

Any particular IPA you might suggest if I wanna give it another open-minded go?

WMR
11-13-2007, 11:36 AM
And oh yeah: My dad and I went to Ireland for a vacation and we toured the Guinness plant. At the very end, you get a pint of Guinness straight from the tap. WOW. It tastes TOTALLY different than Guinness bought in the U.S.A. Guinness is a notoriously "poor-traveling" beer... I'm not even a big dark beer fan, but WOW, Guinness from the source was GOOD.

SunDeck
11-13-2007, 11:42 AM
American IPA tend to be more bitter than English IPA.
IPAs are pretty darned hoppy, in general. It's no big deal if you don't like it- I'm not partial to IPA myself, but I love the hoppy taste of an american pale ale (as opposed to IPA). It's hard to say exactly what I like about one and not the other, but I probably have the same reaction you do. Classic pale, scottish or brown ales- we've got a lot to choose from.

westofyou
11-13-2007, 11:49 AM
American hops typically have high bitterness and aroma, some are very strong, I like to mix it up and in the winter I'll drink Porters and Stouts more and pale beers more in hot weather. But I linger as a regular in the field.

I'd love to recommend some but I'm drink local only., 98% of the time they don't bottle their beer because they aren't that big. As for bottles back east I'd say a can't miss is the English standard Fullers, Fullers India Pale Ale.

Johnny Footstool
11-13-2007, 12:25 PM
Any particular IPA you might suggest if I wanna give it another open-minded go?

If you don't like IPAs, don't worry about them. Bitterness is inherent to the IPA style -- you won't find a true IPA that isn't bitter.

I don't like IPAs either, so rather than wasting money and beer-drinking time on them, I'll just try a new amber or brown ale or a lager.

5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM
11-13-2007, 12:50 PM
I love me some Yuengling when I can get my hands on it, got two cases to polish off out in the garage. Has anyone tried the Hofbrauhaus "Christmasbeer"? It is the best beer I have ever had, they carry it in December only. I will be slamming them after Redsfest this year, cant wait. Why is my hand trembling:beerme:

vaticanplum
11-13-2007, 03:36 PM
And oh yeah: My dad and I went to Ireland for a vacation and we toured the Guinness plant. At the very end, you get a pint of Guinness straight from the tap. WOW. It tastes TOTALLY different than Guinness bought in the U.S.A. Guinness is a notoriously "poor-traveling" beer... I'm not even a big dark beer fan, but WOW, Guinness from the source was GOOD.

I think you're right that it doesn't travel well, but in the States especially Guinness is often poorly, uh, poured (or pulled). I am hardly a beer expert, even less a stout expert, but even I can tell a difference when a Guinness hasn't been properly poured or allowed to settle correctly.

Johnny Footstool
11-13-2007, 06:13 PM
I think you're right that it doesn't travel well, but in the States especially Guinness is often poorly, uh, poured (or pulled). I am hardly a beer expert, even less a stout expert, but even I can tell a difference when a Guinness hasn't been properly poured or allowed to settle correctly.

An interesting note about Guinness...my own experimental attempts to create Skittlebrau (the legendary beer dreamed up by Homer Simpson) led me to discover that, when you drop Skittles in a glass of Guinness, the foaming action causes a rainbow to form in the head at the top of the glass. It's pretty cool looking.

Tastes like crap, though.

Chip R
11-13-2007, 06:24 PM
An interesting note about Guinness...my own experimental attempts to create Skittlebrau (the legendary beer dreamed up by Homer Simpson) led me to discover that, when you drop Skittles in a glass of Guinness, the foaming action causes a rainbow to form in the head at the top of the glass. It's pretty cool looking.

You should put them in Miller Lite. It'd at least give it some taste.

pedro
11-13-2007, 06:31 PM
I've been waiting for this place (http://www.hopworksbeer.typepad.com/)to open up the street from my house. I haven't been by their lately but I've heard that it may already be open. Their brew master is a GENIOUS.

Hopworks brewery has been in production for almost three weeks. Christian and Ben have brewed 160 barrels of beer so far. The three organic styles brewed are the Red, India Pale Ale, and Lager (Czech Pilsner). The pub will have six standard beers with 3 rotating seasonals (all organic). You can enjoy these beers at the following restaurants and bars in the Portland area: Beulah Land, Brooklyn Park Pub, Concordia Ale House, Crow Bar, Goodfoot, Henrys, Holocene, Jax, Muddy Rudder, Paddys, Veritable Quandry, Victory, Claudias, Fire on the mountain, Kellys Olympian, Horse Brass.

westofyou
11-13-2007, 06:36 PM
I've been waiting for this place (http://www.hopworksbeer.typepad.com/)to open up the street from my house. I haven't been by their lately but I've heard that it may already be open. Their brew master is a GENIUS.

He is a GENIUS.

Come pick me up and take me there.

Highlifeman21
11-13-2007, 06:46 PM
I know Wiedemann's is still available at area Krogers, and I agree, it is a good cheap beer (esp. for us college kids).

Fine Bohemian Beer.

pedro
11-13-2007, 06:49 PM
He is a GENIUS.

Come pick me up and take me there.

I called and and he answered the phone. No go until new years.

deltachi8
11-13-2007, 10:44 PM

That, my fireind, is one of the funnier posts I have read recently.

sonny
11-14-2007, 03:04 AM
I was pleased to find "Baltica" at my local Alco-market. I first had this in Russia. It is numbered 1-9, the odd numbers light beer and the even numbers dark. As you increase in number, the alcohol content goes up. Kind of a gauge on how deep your sorrow is, i suppose. I've only seen 1, 2 and 3 here in the states. Number nine will knock you on yer butt if your not careful.

Cheers.

minus5
11-14-2007, 09:19 AM
I know Wiedemann's is still available at area Krogers, and I agree, it is a good cheap beer (esp. for us college kids).

Did anyone happen to se this month's Cincinnati Gentleman magazine where thay interviwed the guy that started brewing Moerlein again? He said that he plans on bringing a lot of the old Cincinnati brews back over time. I'd like to try a Schoenling Lager after all these years.:beerme:

WebScorpion
11-14-2007, 11:44 AM

Guinness Draught contains nitrogen (less water soluble) and much less carbon dioxide than most beers. That fact, combined with the special high-pressure dispensing mechanism with smaller holes creates tinier bubbles which don't immediatley escape the brew and cause that familiar cascade of tiny bubbles going DOWN the side of the glass and eventually, the smooth creamy head. The Guinness company (actually an English-based company called Diageo, but that's another story) says it should take 119.5 seconds to perfectly pour a pint of Guinness Draught. I've yet to see someone NOT do the two-part pour, but if I did, I'd certainly not drink there again. Anyone who can't be bothered to properly prepare what they are serving me, is not the kind of person I want handling things that I put in my body.

SunDeck
11-14-2007, 09:39 PM
It takes forever to get a draft beer poured in Germany. They'll pour it straight in until the foam rises just above the top of the glass. Then they wait. When the foam recedes, they straight pour again, then wait. They repeat this until the glass is full up to the line (clearly marked .2 or .3 liters) on the glass.

A proper beer has a "flower" foam head, which results from the multiple pours.

pedro
11-14-2007, 10:00 PM
I'm drinking a Laurelwood (http://www.laurelwoodbrewpub.com/brewery_freerange.php) http://www.laurelwoodbrewpub.com/images/beerlogo_frr.gif right now.

Cedric
11-14-2007, 10:49 PM
Vegan.

I've recently been on a Red Stripe kick. It's always been my favorite low class beer and will remain.

gonelong
11-15-2007, 09:40 AM
Got ahold of some Shiner Bock last week, enjoyed it very much.

Also had some Fat Tire in Vegas a few weeks back, loved it.

GL

Chip R
11-15-2007, 09:48 AM
Got ahold of some Shiner Bock last week, enjoyed it very much.

I've been drinking that on and off this summer. Good stuff.

westofyou
11-15-2007, 09:52 AM
I've been drinking that on and off this summer. Good stuff.
Has a tiny back end lager taste, but it is the official beer of Austin.

OesterPoster
11-15-2007, 11:28 AM
I hadn't had any Sierra Nevada Pale Ale in a while, so I bought six pack last weekend. I absolutely love that stuff.

I just picked up a six pack this week. I can't believe I've totally ignored such an awesome beer for so long.

Highlifeman21
11-15-2007, 11:29 AM
Just got my hands on the "Winter Classics" sampler from Sam Adams.

6 beers, 2 bottles per.

Original Boston Lager
Winter Lager
Cream Stout
Old Fezziwig Ale
Holiday Porter
Cranberry Lambic

If you enjoy the different varietals of Sam Adams, I recommend picking up this 12 pack!

Johnny Footstool
11-15-2007, 11:50 AM
I've been enjoying Paulaner Marzen this fall. I hope it's available this winter.

Believe it or not, Michelob usually includes an excellent marzen in their holiday pack.

11-15-2007, 11:53 AM

6 beers, 2 bottles per.

Original Boston Lager
Winter Lager
Cream Stout
Old Fezziwig Ale
Holiday Porter
Cranberry Lambic

If you enjoy the different varietals of Sam Adams, I recommend picking up this 12 pack!

Don't care much for the Cranberry Lambic, but I like the rest.

I love Celebration- Sierra Nevada, I think it is.

registerthis
11-15-2007, 12:08 PM
Kennebunkport Pumpkin Ale.

Yummers.

SunDeck
11-15-2007, 12:13 PM
I just picked up a six pack this week. I can't believe I've totally ignored such an awesome beer for so long.

I have to admit I'm a little bit of a snob on this one- I really like the fact that SNPA is bottle conditioned the old fashioned way, which leaves a little sediment at the bottom of the bottle.

LoganBuck
11-15-2007, 01:23 PM
I had a good beer a while back that is definitely a local beer to western Ohio. Wooden Shoe Lager. Originally produced in Minster, Ohio until the brewery went belly up forty years ago, it has been revived, and it is quite tasty. It is a full bodied Lager. It is available on tap at the Buffalo Wild Wings in Sidney, and probably in Minster. A little pricey though $5.25 for 23oz.

RichRed
11-15-2007, 02:19 PM
Kennebunkport Pumpkin Ale.

Yummers.

I'm a big fan of Cottonwood Pumpkin Ale. Pretty much the perfect beer for fall, if you ask me.

And SunDeck, this one's brewed in Mooresville, NC and used to be brewed in Asheville.

Cyclone792
11-15-2007, 02:47 PM

6 beers, 2 bottles per.

Original Boston Lager
Winter Lager
Cream Stout
Old Fezziwig Ale
Holiday Porter
Cranberry Lambic

Winter Lager is fantastic, the Old Fezziweg Ale is pretty good too albeit a bit heavy (though that's what a winter beer should be), and the Holiday Porter isn't bad either.

I've never cared for the Cream Stout, and the Cranberry Lambic is simply foul. I've yet to meet anybody who actually likes the Cranberry Lambic. The first drink isn't so bad, but once you get halfway through the bottle you'll be wanting to pour the rest down the drain.

westofyou
11-15-2007, 03:40 PM

That's the beer that made microbrews BIG.

Out here they call it Chico Budweiser.

vaticanplum
11-15-2007, 04:12 PM
It takes forever to get a draft beer poured in Germany. They'll pour it straight in until the foam rises just above the top of the glass. Then they wait. When the foam recedes, they straight pour again, then wait. They repeat this until the glass is full up to the line (clearly marked .2 or .3 liters) on the glass.

A proper beer has a "flower" foam head, which results from the multiple pours.

Yeah, when I bartended, we were told to pour all stouts in three parts, not two. I just did it like a monkey, though; I didn't pay much attention to the state of the foam.

I also worked on the clover trick on slow nights and tested it on a few customers until an Englishman laughed at me. Apparently the clover is passe. I was so disappointed.

SunDeck
11-15-2007, 04:19 PM
That's the beer that made microbrews BIG.

Out here they call it Chico Budweiser.

Why? And who are "they"?

westofyou
11-15-2007, 04:26 PM
Why? And who are "they"?

Why? - Because if you go to a party at least 4 people will bring a 6 pack of SN, it's the standard everyman beer. And it's brewed in Chico

They? - That would be the massive allotments of hop heads who likely never buy SN but won't think twice about drinking one.

SunDeck
11-15-2007, 06:43 PM
Why? - Because if you go to a party at least 4 people will bring a 6 pack of SN, it's the standard everyman beer. And it's brewed in Chico

They? - That would be the massive allotments of hop heads who likely never buy SN but won't think twice about drinking one.

I thought you meant people believed it was an inferior beer, which would surprise me, and which is the particular knock against Budweiser, which although a very light product and of course (no!) one brewed with rice, is nonetheless very well brewed indeed. It's just not something I prefer because it is so light.
Not that my palette is the most sophisticated, but SNPA strikes me as a pretty darned well crafted product.

BuckWoody
11-15-2007, 06:58 PM
I had a good beer a while back that is definitely a local beer to western Ohio. Wooden Shoe Lager. Originally produced in Minster, Ohio until the brewery went belly up forty years ago, it has been revived, and it is quite tasty. It is a full bodied Lager. It is available on tap at the Buffalo Wild Wings in Sidney, and probably in Minster. A little pricey though $5.25 for 23oz.
I'll second that. They have it on tap at Brixx Ice Company (http://brixxicecompany.com/) right across from Fifth/Third here in Dayton. A couple of those before and/or after a Dragons game is top notch.

westofyou
11-15-2007, 07:12 PM
I thought you meant people believed it was an inferior beer, which would surprise me, and which is the particular knock against Budweiser, which although a very light product and of course (no!) one brewed with rice, is nonetheless very well brewed indeed. It's just not something I prefer because it is so light.
Not that my palette is the most sophisticated, but SNPA strikes me as a pretty darned well crafted product.

It is, it's especially tasty from the tap.

NoCalRed
11-15-2007, 07:50 PM
I have to admit I'm a little bit of a snob on this one- I really like the fact that SNPA is bottle conditioned the old fashioned way, which leaves a little sediment at the bottom of the bottle.

Bottle conditioned, really? I've been drinking SN for years and never had a bottle conditioned one, maybe I never paid close enough attention. Will check tonight have some in the fridge.

SunDeck
11-16-2007, 07:35 AM
It is, it's especially tasty from the tap.

Haven't seen it on tap out here. But I'm going to be in LA next week....hope to find some.

registerthis
11-16-2007, 09:46 AM
I've yet to meet anybody who actually likes the Cranberry Lambic. The first drink isn't so bad, but once you get halfway through the bottle you'll be wanting to pour the rest down the drain.

I'll second that. My wife ordered one some time ago...she's not a big beer person, but thought she'd give the fruity beer a try.

Never again. Man, it was like drinking some perverse mixture of hop-sy Kool-aid.

westofyou
11-16-2007, 09:52 AM
I'll second that. My wife ordered one some time ago...she's not a big beer person, but thought she'd give the fruity beer a try.

Never again. Man, it was like drinking some perverse mixture of hop-sy Kool-aid.

Fruit and beer is a bad mix, infused that is.

Hot day and Heifelweitzen and a lemon and that's OK... I guess.

registerthis
11-16-2007, 09:56 AM

I've always dug the Blue Moon with an orange wedge. It seems to work better with the wheat beers.

SunDeck
11-16-2007, 10:16 AM

That lemon thing is funny. Bavarians seem to always put a lemon wedge in their Hefe Weizens, but I ordered one in Salzburg and it came sans lemon wedge. I sensed there would be an embarrassing moment if I asked for one, so I just let it go. From what I understand, people are kind of passionate about it- one Austrian brewer is quoted, "If I wanted lemon in the beer, I would have brewed it that way."

westofyou
11-16-2007, 10:23 AM
That lemon thing is funny. Bavarians seem to always put a lemon wedge in their Hefe Weizens, but I ordered one in Salzburg and it came sans lemon wedge. I sensed there would be an embarrassing moment if I asked for one, so I just let it go. From what I understand, people are kind of passionate about it- one Austrian brewer is quoted, "If I wanted lemon in the beer, I would have brewed it that way."

Lemon not required, from the bottle Widmers Heif isn't displayed like the Corona/lemon relationship. But from the tap at their brewery you get that lemon.

Johnny Footstool
11-16-2007, 12:41 PM
With hefeweizens, you're supposed to get a lemon wedge on lip of the glass and keep it there for it's aromatic qualities. It's supposed to counteract the mildly pungent odor of that style of beer. Squeezing it into the beer itself is considered a faux pas, for the reason stated by SunDeck.

Personally, though, I could care less about what the brewer *wants* me to taste. I always squeeze the lemon into my Boulevard Wheat, because I *like* the flavor.

I also think a twist of lime in Budweiser makes it infinitely more drinkable.

Oranges tend to go better in coriander-rich beers like Blue Moon.

OesterPoster
11-16-2007, 02:55 PM
I'll second that. They have it on tap at Brixx Ice Company (http://brixxicecompany.com/) right across from Fifth/Third here in Dayton. A couple of those before and/or after a Dragons game is top notch.

They have it by the bottle here in Minster at the Eagles Lodge, Wagner's IGA, and Willy's. I don't think any of them have it on tap though. They did sell the beer at the Minster Oktoberfest in 2006, but Anheuser-Busch had a hissy fit about it, and made sure the Wooden Shoe beer was eliminated from the festival in 2007.

It's not a cheap beer, and quite honestly, I don't think it's worth the money.

vaticanplum
11-16-2007, 03:16 PM

What in the world is a lambric?

Highlifeman21
11-16-2007, 04:53 PM

Lambic.

It's a wheat beer.

And I gotta say, all the people that warned me about the Sam Adams Cranberry Lambic, it was surprisingly better than I expected, and I actually finished the whole bottle, and contemplated having a 2nd.

SunDeck
11-16-2007, 05:12 PM
All this talk of Weizen reminded me of my time as a student in Germany and of the beer that taught me to love beer.

http://bieroholiker.de/bierembleme/bier_30.jpg

BoydsOfSummer
11-16-2007, 05:19 PM
There are plenty of good lambic's out there.Sammy is probably not one of them. Sammy Adams version is definitely my least favorite of their beers. I do love lambic's though.

Here is the wikipedia on lambic ale:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lambic

GIK
11-16-2007, 05:37 PM
I'm a simple man.

http://www.labattblue.com/images/blue_USA_05.jpg

and

http://www.sonarscope.hr/ducan/images/Guinness.jpg

Yachtzee
11-16-2007, 11:01 PM

As the wikipedia article said, Lambics are beers from a particular region in Belgium that are fermented using yeast that naturally occurs in the air, almost like a sourdough bread. While Lambics are good, they often have a unique flavor and the sourness can be strong, so fruit juice or syrup is often added to the beer. I think Sam Adam's Cranberry Lambic is to Lambic as California sparkling wines are to champagne. It's similar in style but truthfully the term Lambic should only be reserved for beers from a particular region in Belgium. You just can't recreate the naturally occurring conditions to get a true representation of the beer outside the region.

Personally I don't abide by the so-called "man rule" of not "fruiting the beer." Some beers, such as certain Lambics and Berliner Weisse were meant to have fruit flavoring added. They're often too sour without it. Others, such as many wheat beers, while tasty on their own, can be quite refreshing with a little slice of lemon or orange added. It's fine if someone says they don't like fruit in beer, but to say fruit does not belong in beer is to not understand beer culture. Beer is such a versatile drink.

Also, there's the great drink Austrians enjoy when they are out riding bikes or hiking in the mountains. It's a Radler, pronounced "Rodlah." It's basically a nice cold pilsner or other light lager cut with a fruit-flavored soda like Fanta. Austrians like to drink it on hot days or while taking a break from physical exertion. They drink it like we would drink an iced tea or a lemonade.

deltachi8
11-17-2007, 09:29 AM
GIK - Labatt is good stuff. Generally what I order while out and not looking for anything fancy or just at a Hockey game. IIRC, it is the best selling beer here in Buffalo.

GIK
11-17-2007, 10:11 AM
Yup, it's nice and clean. I like it. My father-in-law is a) Canadian and, b) pro-union. He will only order or buy "Blue". :) I never really tried it before meeting my wife and her family. I mean, it's not a "gourmet" beer or anything, but it's a really good, nice tasting, non-offensive beer. It's pretty much what I keep in my fridge and then when I go out, it's typically a Guinness on tap.

dman
11-17-2007, 10:43 AM
While I'm not a beer drinker myself, I hear a lot of my buddies raving about 'Ole Leg Humper. A pizza shop close to my house sells it, and the owner says he can't hardly keep it stocked.

Yachtzee
11-17-2007, 01:21 PM
While I'm not a beer drinker myself, I hear a lot of my buddies raving about 'Ole Leg Humper. A pizza shop close to my house sells it, and the owner says he can't hardly keep it stocked.

That might be brewed by the same contract brewery, Frederick Brewing Co., that used to make Christian Moerlein when it was owned by Snyder International. I think they're based in Independence, just south of Cleveland. They used to have a Brewpub on the west side of Akron, but that closed down. I heard they might try to put another one in downtown Akron, which would be great.

OesterPoster
11-17-2007, 10:38 PM
I'm pretty sure that Old Leg Humper is brewed by the Thirsty Dog Brewery. They have a location in Dayton, but I don't know where else.

Unless there is another 'Ole Leg Humper by another microbrewery.

Yachtzee
11-17-2007, 11:01 PM
I'm pretty sure that Old Leg Humper is brewed by the Thirsty Dog Brewery. They have a location in Dayton, but I don't know where else.

Unless there is another 'Ole Leg Humper by another microbrewery.

It's the same Ole Leg Humper. Thirsty Dog was originally intended as a chain of Brewpubs. They had one in Akron too, but I think the corporate office is in Independence. The Akron brewpub is no more, but they still sell Ole Leg Humper and Hoppus Maximus and some of the others at the grocery store. IIRC, the stuff that they bottle and sell for mass consumption is contract brewed in MD.

vaticanplum
11-19-2007, 09:46 PM
I just had one of those Sam Adams cream stouts. Holy cannoli that was tasty.

Cyclone792
11-19-2007, 10:16 PM
I just had one of those Sam Adams cream stouts. Holy cannoli that was tasty.

Not a big fan of the Cream Stout, but I just had ~50 ounces of Sam Adams Octoberfest on tap, and I must say that Sammy Octoberfest on tap is one of the better beers I've ever had.

It's no longer available in bottles (sold out), but if I find it on tap anywhere anytime soon, I'm drinking a whole lot of it.

westofyou
11-19-2007, 10:24 PM
Not a big fan of the Cream Stout, but I just had ~50 ounces of Sam Adams Octoberfest on tap, and I must say that Sammy Octoberfest on tap is one of the better beers I've ever had.

It's no longer available in bottles (sold out), but if I find it on tap anywhere anytime soon, I'm drinking a whole lot of it.

I had a cream stout tonight, nitrogen tapped too.. after I had an IPA, it seemed heavy and not bold. I love stout, but this one was drab.

bigredmechanism
11-19-2007, 11:29 PM
i just had a westvleteren 12 the other day (for anybody whose heard of it). it dominated. but as far as a regular day goes, it depends. optimator is delicious, as is just about any troegs beer. but regualr drinkin stuff i always go back to bud. just too easy to drink to give up.

btw, when stanton pitches, i hit the vodka.

Yachtzee
11-20-2007, 03:36 AM
I had a cream stout tonight, nitrogen tapped too.. after I had an IPA, it seemed heavy and not bold. I love stout, but this one was drab.

They say cream stouts or milk stouts are good for nursing moms. Rumor has it Irish hospitals used to prescribe a pint of milk stout a day to new moms. Of course that's not the reason for the name. At least with milk stouts, I believe they add lactose to the mix for a sweeter flavor, because yeast can't break it down into alcohol.

WebScorpion
11-20-2007, 10:59 AM
They say cream stouts or milk stouts are good for nursing moms. Rumor has it Irish hospitals used to prescribe a pint of milk stout a day to new moms. Of course that's not the reason for the name. At least with milk stouts, I believe they add lactose to the mix for a sweeter flavor, because yeast can't break it down into alcohol.

My cousin in England said when her nursing daughter was crabby she used to drink a Guinness and the baby would always sleep better. Knowing my cousin, she probably just used it as an excuse to have the occasional Guinness. ;)

vaticanplum
11-20-2007, 12:11 PM

It's actually supposed to be good for pregnant women in their third trimester as well (in moderation), probably for the same reasons...I'm no doctor, but I'm guessing it may have to do with the iron in it. Probably not the best piece of advice with which to approach a pregnant woman in a restaurant, though.

WVRedsFan
11-20-2007, 05:23 PM
I've had lots of favorite, most of which they don't make anymore:

Tuborg
Heilemann Special Export
Coors Arctic Ice
Coors Extra Gold
National Premium (a good, good beer)
Royal Amber

When I'm on the cheap, I drink:

Keystone Ice
Icehouse
Miller High Life
Budweiser
Coors

I generally prefer beer with flavor and avoid the hideous light beers that Americans are fond of, so my real favorites are:

Sam Adams Boston Lager
Bass Ale
Guiness
Michelob
Foster's
And any number of mico brewed beers--I've even made my own.

And the strangest thing. I really enjoy Bud Select these days which goes against my hatred of light beer. Go figure.

Sorry to be posting so late on this. How did I miss this thread??

jmcclain19
11-21-2007, 08:53 PM
I bought a case of Sam Adams Hefeweizen last week - I think its one of my new favorites.

FYI - for the lemon debate - BeerAdvocate.com has some interesting words on the whole deal

http://beeradvocate.com/articles/270

One thing that the German and American styles both have in common is being served with a slice of lemon, either on the rim or right in the glass. The majority of Hefeweizen drinkers embrace this presentation, as there is something about the puckering tartness of a fresh cut lemon slice in a German Hefeweizen or American Wheat that sooths that summer heat away. However, we highly recommend that you don’t use a lemon as 1) it’s not as traditional as you think and 2) it takes away from the actual beer.

Count me in as someone who doesn't mind fruit in his beer. There are some excellent beers out there with a fine mix of fruity tinged goodness.

I'll definitely take the recommendation and give it a whirl next time I'm in the liquor store. Pyramid makes an excellent one as well.

Kona Brewing out in Hawaii has some solid offerings. The only problem is that there aren't any places in Georgia for me to buy it. Palmetto out of Charleston, SC has some solid brews, too. Have a 6pack of their Amber in my fridge right now.

I totally missed this comment from way back. I bought some Kona Amber when I was in Maui and I've been a huge fan ever since. I found one store here in town that sells it and I pick up a Kona sixer from them from time to time. A tasty brew indeed. I was impressed that they make the beer as much as possible from local ingredients. It's made with real Hawaiians in it - or so I'm told

Bridgeport IPA is a fave.

I just tried some two weeks ago. I made a weird face apparently after a few swigs - which made my wife ask me what exactly was wrong. I replied that I'd never drank a beer that tasted like flowers. And that's the oddest description I can think of. I've never felt the urge to crumple up flowers in my beer, but if I did - I'm pretty sure it would end up tasting like Bridgeport IPA. Not bad - I'm not sure if it's good though. Someday I'll drink the other five and make a final vote.

Nope. They changed the name and the recipe. It's now "Rally Cap Ale", and I believe they added some coriander to spice it up. I hate coriander.

I just shuddered. Rally Cap Ale holds the distinction of being the last beer to make me use the old porcelain telephone. A friend an d I bought a 12 pack and didn't make it thru more than a couple before we both called it quits. Just plain wretched beer. Pete's Strawberry Blonde & Wicked Ale are winners though.

Yachtzee
11-21-2007, 10:09 PM
I bought a case of Sam Adams Hefeweizen last week - I think its one of my new favorites.

FYI - for the lemon debate - BeerAdvocate.com has some interesting words on the whole deal

http://beeradvocate.com/articles/270

Count me in as someone who doesn't mind fruit in his beer. There are some excellent beers out there with a fine mix of fruity tinged goodness.

I'll definitely take the recommendation and give it a whirl next time I'm in the liquor store. Pyramid makes an excellent one as well.

I totally missed this comment from way back. I bought some Kona Amber when I was in Maui and I've been a huge fan ever since. I found one store here in town that sells it and I pick up a Kona sixer from them from time to time. A tasty brew indeed. I was impressed that they make the beer as much as possible from local ingredients. It's made with real Hawaiians in it - or so I'm told

I just tried some two weeks ago. I made a weird face apparently after a few swigs - which made my wife ask me what exactly was wrong. I replied that I'd never drank a beer that tasted like flowers. And that's the oddest description I can think of. I've never felt the urge to crumple up flowers in my beer, but if I did - I'm pretty sure it would end up tasting like Bridgeport IPA. Not bad - I'm not sure if it's good though. Someday I'll drink the other five and make a final vote.

I just shuddered. Rally Cap Ale holds the distinction of being the last beer to make me use the old porcelain telephone. A friend an d I bought a 12 pack and didn't make it thru more than a couple before we both called it quits. Just plain wretched beer. Pete's Strawberry Blonde & Wicked Ale are winners though.

The Beer Advocate article is a pretty good explanation of Hefeweizen in general, but they fall into the trap of discounting a "tradition" in German beer drinking. It's really difficult to say something is or is not a tradition in German beer drinking because traditions are often very localized. Putting a lemon slice in a hefeweizen was common in some places and considered sacrilege in others. Some places used an orange instead of a lemon. Light Hefeweizens would sometimes come with citrus, sometimes not. I've never had a dark Hefeweizen with citrus. My favorite Hefeweizen can be found here:

http://www.dieweisse.at/

If you can read German, you'll note they aren't afraid to try interesting things with hefeweizen, including mixing it with lemonade, cola, or elderflower soda, even though drinking it straight up is by far the best way.

11-22-2007, 01:33 AM

I picked up a botttle of this tonight- I did not like it. In fact, the label on the back predicted it.

11-25-2007, 08:18 AM
http://www.sptimes.com/2003/06/18/Taste/For_beer_lovers__utop.shtml

Sam Adams Utopia. $199.00 a bottle for the only one in Terre Haute, In.

paintmered
11-25-2007, 06:32 PM
After spending a few days in Belgium, this is my new favorite beer (#8):

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/66/Rochefort-beers.jpg

BoydsOfSummer
11-25-2007, 10:58 PM
They spelled beer wrong. How good could it be?

I'd love to have a jug of that Utopia juice.

12-22-2007, 01:10 AM
Just had one of these and I really liked it.

http://www.ratebeer.com/beerimages/1653.jpg

Then I had one of these. I was overwhelmed by cinnamon and nutneg. I didn't like it.

And now one of these. It's not too bad. Probably won't buy it again.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xmas

Now one of these. It's OK- guess you would expect more from the beer capital of Northeast Indiana!

http://www.ratebeer.com/beerimages/47516.jpg

And now one of these. Probably won't get it again'

http://gopherwine.com/images/BellsPale.jpg

jmcclain19
12-22-2007, 06:54 PM
I just tried some of this for the first time last night - good stuff

http://beeradvocate.com/im/articles/719-1.jpg

deltachi8
12-22-2007, 07:24 PM
While at Disney last week I had lunch at the Bog River Grill - they make 6 different beers on site and did the sampler. Liked 5 of the 6 (the pilsner was below average tasting to me) and really liked their Rocket Red Ale.

Cedric
12-23-2007, 02:41 AM
Red Stripe and Kokanee. Always a Red Stripe man if given a choice.

Kokanee is so cheap and lovely :)

Redhook
12-23-2007, 09:30 AM

Try the Winter Hook from the same company. It's awesome. I think it's better than Redhook, and that's saying a lot since I was named after that beer.

WebScorpion
12-26-2007, 12:49 PM
Try the Winter Hook from the same company. It's awesome. I think it's better than Redhook, and that's saying a lot since I was named after that beer.
My favorite was always the Red Hook IPA, but they've quit making it in favor of the LongHammer IPA which I can't stomach. Never did care for the ESB. My favorite at the Red Hook brewery would have to be the BlackHook Porter now.

Stephenk29
12-26-2007, 02:27 PM
The worst beer I've ever tasted has to be Great Lakes - Burning River. They had it down at the Taste of Cincinnati last year. Cost 8 bucks and I couldn't find one friend to swallow it all down. We tossed it because it was that bad.

Schlafly is some rather tasty brew from a St. Louis. Heifenweizen is easily their best.

Other than the exotics I always enjoy the usual Buds.

westofyou
12-26-2007, 02:29 PM
My favorite was always the Red Hook IPA, but they've quit making it in favor of the LongHammer IPA which I can't stomach. Never did care for the ESB. My favorite at the Red Hook brewery would have to be the BlackHook Porter now.
Redhook hasn't been the same since they got bought by the beer barons, they blazed the trail with Sierra Nevada, but they waned IMO.

Cyclone792
12-26-2007, 02:31 PM
The worst beer I've ever tasted has to be Great Lakes - Burning River. They had it down at the Taste of Cincinnati last year. Cost 8 bucks and I couldn't find one friend to swallow it all down. We tossed it because it was that bad.

I recently picked up a couple Great Lakes singles to try; some I've tried already, others I haven't. I tried the Burning River and didn't like it at all. I was able to finish it, but I won't be going back for another.

Their Christmas Ale isn't too bad though.

Yachtzee
12-26-2007, 04:52 PM
I recently picked up a couple Great Lakes singles to try; some I've tried already, others I haven't. I tried the Burning River and didn't like it at all. I was able to finish it, but I won't be going back for another.

Their Christmas Ale isn't too bad though.

Must not be a fan of hops. Not everyone is. Personally, I am a fan of hoppier beers, so Burning River is right up my alley. On the other hand, I have never been a fan of maltier beers. I find some of the maltier Scottish Ales and Dunkles German Lagers to be too sweet for my taste. As far as Great Lakes goes, if you don't like hops, you're better off sticking with the Dortmunder Gold or the Eliot Ness, both of which are lighter on the hops than the Burning River, which is a Pale Ale style, or the Commodore Perry, which is an India Pale Ale.

Cyclone792
12-26-2007, 08:34 PM
Must not be a fan of hops. Not everyone is. Personally, I am a fan of hoppier beers, so Burning River is right up my alley. On the other hand, I have never been a fan of maltier beers. I find some of the maltier Scottish Ales and Dunkles German Lagers to be too sweet for my taste. As far as Great Lakes goes, if you don't like hops, you're better off sticking with the Dortmunder Gold or the Eliot Ness, both of which are lighter on the hops than the Burning River, which is a Pale Ale style, or the Commodore Perry, which is an India Pale Ale.

You're right, I'm definitely not a fan of extremely hoppy beers. And you're also right that the Eliot Ness is up my alley; I'm having one now, and it's a pretty good beer. I've got another Great Lakes Christmas Ale in the fridge, and I've also got a Great Lakes Holy Moses White Ale in there to try.

The Commodore Perry, Dortmunder Gold, and the aforementioned Burning River Pale Ale are three beers that I didn't get along with though.

pedro
12-26-2007, 08:36 PM
I like a hoppy beer. One thing I can say after living in Portland for a while is that even the mildy hoppy beers here are way more hoppy than almost anything I've ever had east of the mississippi.

Yachtzee
12-27-2007, 12:14 AM
You're right, I'm definitely not a fan of extremely hoppy beers. And you're also right that the Eliot Ness is up my alley; I'm having one now, and it's a pretty good beer. I've got another Great Lakes Christmas Ale in the fridge, and I've also got a Great Lakes Holy Moses White Ale in there to try.

The Commodore Perry, Dortmunder Gold, and the aforementioned Burning River Pale Ale are three beers that I didn't get along with though.

The Eliot Ness is a well-balanced beer. I don't know if they still bottle it for distribution, but Moon Dog Ale is another Great Lakes Beer that is easy on the hops. A seasonal one you might look for in the coming months is their Conway Irish Ale, which I think they put out for St. Patrick's Day. Holy Moses is an interesting Belgian Wheat style.

Cyclone792
02-13-2008, 08:11 PM
Sammy Adams Double Bock is out now for a brief time. Pretty good beer, but damn is it heavy. Over 300 calories and 8.8 percent alcohol by volume.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y276/pantomus/SADoubleBock.jpg

Bip Roberts
02-13-2008, 08:18 PM
Warsteiner, Harp, Bass, Burning River, and Leinenkugel

GAC
02-13-2008, 08:28 PM
Warsteiner, Harp, Bass, Burning River, and Leinenkugel

I love Warsteiner and Harps.

SunDeck
02-13-2008, 08:30 PM
My tastes have pretty much gotten hoppier and hoppier in the last year. Right now, I'm drinking a lot of pale ale from Upland here in Bloomington. They are quite a good bunch of brewers.

http://www.brewersofindianaguild.com/History/Hist-Upland-Mat.jpg

Johnny Footstool
02-13-2008, 09:03 PM
I'll still take malt over hop any day.

02-14-2008, 01:15 AM
I had one of these tonight, on tap.

http://www.ratebeer.com/beerimages/full_size/1432.jpg

followed by one of these on tap, too. They were so fine.

http://www.ratebeer.com/beerimages/10963.jpg

westofyou
02-14-2008, 10:01 AM
I'll still take malt over hop any day.

That's good... because I'll take the hops over the malt myself.

George Anderson
02-14-2008, 10:32 AM
I recently started drinking Carlsberg. I drank it on vacation in Europe in 1987 and really loved it.

It costs a bit more than your regular domestic beer but it's a nice change of pace.

SunDeck
02-14-2008, 12:26 PM
I am two weeks away from the latest home brew- it's an American Pale Ale. Went to the brew store last week and noticed they can't get their hands on any Hallertau hops at all. No problem finding Willamette, though. That's good news.

Anyway, if you want to keep drinking beer folks, buy a hybrid vehicle.

Handofdeath
02-14-2008, 01:25 PM
Yup, it's nice and clean. I like it. My father-in-law is a) Canadian and, b) pro-union. He will only order or buy "Blue". :) I never really tried it before meeting my wife and her family. I mean, it's not a "gourmet" beer or anything, but it's a really good, nice tasting, non-offensive beer. It's pretty much what I keep in my fridge and then when I go out, it's typically a Guinness on tap.

My tastes and choices in beer are pretty simple. I tried Labatt Blue for the first time about a week ago. It is the best I have ever had. Budweiser and Bud Light are both very good. Icehouse is cheap and not too bad. Corona and Coors are decent. I didn't care for Molson too much and hands down Miller Lite is the worst.

Johnny Footstool
02-14-2008, 01:34 PM
That's good... because I'll take the hops over the malt myself.

My buddy the homebrewer is the same way. It works out well, because if he brews up a batch that's too malty for his tastes, I get to drink the bulk of it.

Johnny Footstool
02-22-2008, 12:09 AM
I tried Sam Adams Irish Red tonight. Excellent beer.

Ravenlord
02-22-2008, 12:50 AM

to me, Burning River tastes like Guiness trying to be an ale. it's all right, but i don't really like Guiness to begin with.

Redhook
02-22-2008, 08:37 AM
to me, Burning River tastes like Guiness trying to be an ale. it's all right, but i don't really like Guiness to begin with.

I'm not a Guiness fan myself. I can drink it, but it's hard to drink more than one. I love Burning River. It's clearly my favorite beer. I like pale ales though. I really don't know how you can include those two in the same sentence. Other than the fact that they're both beer, they have nothing in common.

Anyone notice that the price of beer just went up? Most of the beers I usually buy went up $.50 to a $1.00. Not good.

SunDeck
02-22-2008, 08:59 AM
So your handle has nothing to do with your beer tastes? All this time I have imagined you typing with a bottle of it next to you.

westofyou
02-22-2008, 09:59 AM
Anyone notice that the price of beer just went up? Most of the beers I usually buy went up $.50 to a $1.00. Not good.

Hops, hops hops... there has been a price HOP in beer that's been noted here.

BRM
02-22-2008, 10:10 AM
Hops, hops hops... there has been a price HOP in beer that's been noted here.

Barley has went up too, hasn't it? I'm pretty sure everyone has seen a bit of a price hike by now. If not, expect one soon.

bucksfan2
02-22-2008, 10:31 AM
Barley has went up too, hasn't it? I'm pretty sure everyone has seen a bit of a price hike by now. If not, expect one soon.

All commodities have gone up over the past few months.

BRM
02-22-2008, 10:52 AM
All commodities have gone up over the past few months.

Corn has actually gotten a little cheaper at the local co-op. Horse feed has went up though because barley and oats have went up more than corn going down.

NoCalRed
02-22-2008, 07:48 PM

Yes it has. I was at the local brew store recently and base 2 row grain, which is the grain used the most in brewing, went up from 99 cents a pound to $1.09 a pound.

By the way I recently opened a bottle of my latest creation a double IPA and its yummy. More hops the better I always say, I open this bottle and the burst of CO2 that blows past my nose carries a nice flowery aroma. :beerme:

Vada Pinson Fan
02-22-2008, 09:28 PM
Years ago, I enjoyed the Cincinnati local breweries when I was going to UC in Clifton. One of those beers I liked to drink especially before Bowling League Night was Hudepohl http://www.bostonbeercans.com/canimages/hudepohlfront.jpg and Weidemannhttp://www.beercollections.com/Breweries/Kentucky/Images/IM178629.gif http://citybeat.com/2006-10-04/cover-8.jpgas well as Schoenling which later begat Schoenling Little Kings http://www.ratebeer.com/beerimages/1395.jpg and finally Burger Beer. http://www.the60sofficialsite.com/Burger.jpg. To me, those beers where in large part of what made Cincinnati great!!!

LoganBuck
02-22-2008, 10:10 PM
Woodenshoe Lager is on tap at the Inn Between, near Botkins, Ohio. At the corner of 25A, 274, and about half a mile off of I75. Still pretty darn good.

The also serve a heckuva Fried Bologna Sandwich!

Ravenlord
02-23-2008, 02:29 AM
one of the best beers i've tasted in quite sometime:

http://www.news4uonline.com/images/features/beer4.jpg

jmcclain19
02-23-2008, 02:44 AM

I'm quoting this again, because it's a few months later and I'm still loving this beer. Its definitely moved up into my top 5.

Since it seems that a few people are familiar with ESB - anyone else know of some other beers that taste similar? Always looking to keep growing my stable of favorite beers.

Redhook
02-23-2008, 08:25 AM
I'm quoting this again, because it's a few months later and I'm still loving this beer. Its definitely moved up into my top 5.

Since it seems that a few people are familiar with ESB - anyone else know of some other beers that taste similar? Always looking to keep growing my stable of favorite beers.

Have you tried Winter Hook yet? It's made by the same company. I think it's very good. I actually like it better than Redhook (which should tell you something since I'm named after it). Both are in my top 5.

Other pretty good beers I've had recently are Magic Hat, Dead Man's Ale, and Christian Moerlein (not sure which was put it was pale-ale like).

pedro
02-23-2008, 01:26 PM
Redhook's "sun rye" is a fine summer ale IMO.

Jack Burton
02-24-2008, 01:37 PM
As of right now, Fat Squirrel by New Glarus.

GIK
02-24-2008, 05:14 PM
Rogue
http://www.rogue.com/

http://www.rogue.com/images/UpdatedLabels/ImpStoutXS.gif

WVRedsFan
02-24-2008, 06:06 PM
I notice everyone naming these obscure beers (all very heavy) as their favorite beers. Let me ask you a question. I've had lots of bad experiences with these obscure beers in that they are very inconsistent. The second time I get a certain of these beers, it tastes entirely different. In fact, they sometimes differ from beer to beer in the same 6-pack. Anyone else have these experiences?

That's why I will enjoy a micro brew or obscure brew, but never expect it to be the same the next time I get it.

02-24-2008, 06:22 PM
Rogue

I haven't yet tried an Imperial Stout. I've shoppped for them, but the stores haven't had them in stock when I was there.

GIK
02-24-2008, 06:33 PM
If you have a World Market nearby, they should have them in the 750ml bottle ($13).

AtomicDumpling
02-24-2008, 08:35 PM
I notice everyone naming these obscure beers (all very heavy) as their favorite beers. Let me ask you a question. I've had lots of bad experiences with these obscure beers in that they are very inconsistent. The second time I get a certain of these beers, it tastes entirely different. In fact, they sometimes differ from beer to beer in the same 6-pack. Anyone else have these experiences?

That's why I will enjoy a micro brew or obscure brew, but never expect it to be the same the next time I get it.

I have noticed that too.

I think part of the reason is sometimes those beers sit on the shelves for a very long time and get old. It might be a good idea to buy obscure beers only from a store that sells them quickly.

If you buy it when it is fresh it is good, then later you buy some more and it isn't as good because it is old. Possible?

AtomicDumpling
02-24-2008, 08:40 PM
I tried a couple Tiger beers last night at a friend's house. Tiger is a Cambodian beer. It was decent. Not very hoppy at all. Kind of a bland beer. I wondered whether they used rice starch as the extender instead of corn starch like American beers do.

Beer is supposed to be malted barley and hops, but the big breweries all use corn as a cheap extender. So the beer has less beer taste, which is what Americans prefer.

Lately I have been enjoying Molson Ice. It has a nice full flavor, I was surprised.

I drink Yuenglings whenever I can get some, which isn't often. You can't beat a Yuenglings on a hot day. Nor a cold day for that matter.

Redhook
02-25-2008, 08:38 PM
Rogue

Well played sir. They make some tasty adult beverages.

As I type, I'm drinking a Tap Room #21 Brewing Co. Amber Ale. It's not bad. Not great either. I found it at Kroger's. It was only $5.99 for a sixer so I bought this and the Pale Ale. Both are ok. I prefer Sam Adams, Great Lakes, Redhook, etc., but I like to try new beers and those beers are getting mighty expensive. Pretty soon it'll be $9.99 for a six-pack. That's a gonna suck something fierce.

cinredsfan2000
02-25-2008, 09:50 PM
but I like to try new beers and those beers are getting mighty expensive. Pretty soon it'll be $9.99 for a six-pack. That's a gonna suck something fierce.
was at the supermarket today Sam Adams boston lager going for 8.89 a six pack Heinekin and corona right around the same price.
:thumbdown:thumbdown

Redhook
02-25-2008, 10:55 PM
was at the supermarket today Sam Adams boston lager going for 8.89 a six pack Heinekin and corona right around the same price.
:thumbdown:thumbdown

Kroger's has Sam for $14.99 for a 12-pack. I wouldn't mess around for Heiny or Corona for that price. They're not strong enough. I would, however, pay $7.99 for a sixer of Great Lakes over $14.99 for Sam. I love both, but Sam is a poor man's Great Lakes so I don't mind paying the extra buck.

I got spoiled paying $11.99 for a 12-pack of Sammies. I don't like where this is going. I drink way too much beer to pay $15+ for a 12-pack. I may have to start drinking Vodka again (Boru....good stuff).

pedro
02-25-2008, 11:38 PM
I like Sierra Nevada Pale Ale as my go-to beer when I'm not in a local pub where I can get a good mircro.

02-26-2008, 01:10 AM
I like Sierra Nevada Pale Ale as my go-to beer when I'm not in a local pub where I can get a good mircro.

My opinion is that this may be the best beer that can be bought in a chain grocery store.

pedro
02-26-2008, 01:18 AM
My opinion is that this may be the best beer that can be bought in a chain grocery store.

That's how I feel too.

Out west many people refer to SN as "chico budweiser" (chico callifornia being where it's made)

Brutus_the_Red
02-26-2008, 03:37 AM
I've been on a huge Leinenkugels kick since they started distributing it in Dayton last summer.

The Sunset Wheat is pure amazingness in a bottle.
And i'm ready for it to warm up so they can get the Summer Shanty back out.

My least favorite of their's is the Berry Weiss. It's almost as bad as Sam Adam's Cranberry Lambic.

SunDeck
02-26-2008, 09:51 AM

Luckily, there's a very good local pale ale (http://www.uplandbeer.com/pale.php) that is cheaper than SN. And I can buy growlers of the stuff at the brewery, too and get all feel goody about supporting a local business.

If I didn't think I'd balloon up to about 240, I'd have a keg in the garage refrigerator.

Chip R
02-26-2008, 09:58 AM
Have you tried Winter Hook yet? It's made by the same company. I think it's very good. I actually like it better than Redhook (which should tell you something since I'm named after it). Both are in my top 5.

I was going to buy some of that the other day then I noticed they had Harp on sale for a couple of bucks cheaper.

goreds2
02-27-2008, 04:07 AM
Keystone Light = $10.99 for a 30-Pack.

westofyou
02-27-2008, 09:36 AM

Beer... not wheat water. :p:

Johnny Footstool
02-27-2008, 09:50 AM

A friend of mine used to work at a liquor store that sold PBR for 45 cents a can. He put up a sign that read "PBR - Cheaper Than Coca-Cola". The stuff flew off the shelves at first. Unfortunately, the people who bought it soon realized it was awful, and no one came back for more.

BRM
02-27-2008, 10:10 AM

Beer prices in the midwest are awesome. That same 30 pack here in Colorado is usually $15.99. Suitcases of the typical Miller, Bud, and Coors products are typically $18.99. Prices here are ridiculous.

CrackerJack
02-27-2008, 11:52 AM
I'm addicted to Bell's brews whenever I can get me some, luckily two stores here in Newport carry them.

If I don't feel like dealing with stomach/intestinal issues the next day, there's always Foster's, which doesn't seem to affect my system much at all, and is my Budweiser/Miller Lite.

If I want cheap, local stuff - Moerlein's OTR and Original Lager are fine beers.

I also don't understand why I'm considered a "beer snob" because I never, ever drink American mass production beers, or PBR (which I think is silly and trendy). It's as if it's held against you in this country if you have a brain and don't settle for whatever the TV is trying to sell you.

Beers like Bud and Miller Lite don't even taste like "beer" to me - I don't consider them real beer, just as I don't consider what Taco Bell serves "real food." Oh well, whatever.

Johnny Footstool
02-27-2008, 12:33 PM
I'm addicted to Bell's brews whenever I can get me some, luckily two stores here in Newport carry them.

If I don't feel like dealing with stomach/intestinal issues the next day, there's always Foster's, which doesn't seem to affect my system much at all, and is my Budweiser/Miller Lite.

If I want cheap, local stuff - Moerlein's OTR and Original Lager are fine beers.

I also don't understand why I'm considered a "beer snob" because I never, ever drink American mass production beers, or PBR (which I think is silly and trendy). It's as if it's held against you in this country if you have a brain and don't settle for whatever the TV is trying to sell you.

Beers like Bud and Miller Lite don't even taste like "beer" to me - I don't consider them real beer, just as I don't consider what Taco Bell serves "real food." Oh well, whatever.

"Beer snobbery" should only come into play when someone turns down a free beer, or refuses to drink a mass-prod beer even when nothing else is available.

BRM
02-27-2008, 12:38 PM

I wouldn't call not drinking those beers beer snobbery. Beer snobbery to me is when a person turns their nose up to those who do drink those beers. Or looking at them as idiots because "they don't know what good beer is". Everyone should just drink what they like and not worry or care about what others enjoy.

TheBigLebowski
02-27-2008, 01:16 PM
I'd bathe in Rogue's Hazelnut Brown Ale if it were socially acceptable and cost-effective. The Rogue Brewery is, by far, my favorite. Awesome beer. Only beer they've made that I don't give high marks is, surprisingly, their "Half-e-weizen." It's really not a bad beer; I just have high standards for hefeweizens.

I'm also a big fan of the entire Sam Adams family. Boston Ale and Brown Ale are probably their two best. I also buy their seasonal Summer Ale en masse when it is available.

Never go wrong with a nice bottle of Pilsner Urquell. I am a big fan of pilsners and I don't think it gets much better than that.

One beer I've discovered recently that I really like is Dale's Pale Ale. It only comes in cans and that just adds to its personality. If you like pales, definitely give it a check.

Let's see...what others..

Oberon is incredible. A perfect 10.

Also a big fan of Northwest's Red Seal Ale. Low alcohol content (not to mention the "seal" they put on their six pack is not actually a seal at all) but amazing flavor. One of the smoothest beers around.

SunDeck
02-27-2008, 01:22 PM
Budweiser and Miller and other mass produced beers are indeed beer. The process of making thousands of barrels of beer per week and making all of them taste exactly the same is no small task and to say those beers are not high quality is just, well, wrong.
The beers they make are all out of the late 19th century tradition of light lagers, which came to dominate the market place specifically because the tastes of non-immigrant Americans demanded it. And people still like that style of beer so they will continue to brew it. Now, they are made from ingredients other than malt, barley, yeast, hops and water, which some say classifies them in some other category than beer, but I'm not that discriminating.

These are comments on the expertise of their brewers, which is unparalleled. As for the taste of the stuff, I'm with you CrackerJack- it's not what I consider a good tasting beer.

Not that I would ever turn one down if offered. It would be impolite.

westofyou
02-27-2008, 01:26 PM
The beers they make are all out of the late 19th century tradition of light lagers, which came to dominate the market place specifically because the tastes of non-immigrant Americans demanded it.

Add in the fact that most full bodied beers weer originally meant to be a food source too. Once you hit America, have mass produced food and the abundance that wasn't in the old country the beer no longer needs to be a source of nutrients, it gets thinner and becomes a refreshment.

pedro
02-27-2008, 01:31 PM
sounds like rogue brewery has more of a foothold back east then it does here in oregon where it's brewed.

westofyou
02-27-2008, 01:36 PM
sounds like rogue brewery has more of a foothold back east then it does here in oregon where it's brewed.

They have a good marketing and distribution team, they are bigger going south from their location too, we just have so many choices they don't bother pushing their bottles on us or the taps.

Roy Tucker
02-27-2008, 01:38 PM
A friend of mine used to work at a liquor store that sold PBR for 45 cents a can. He put up a sign that read "PBR - Cheaper Than Coca-Cola". The stuff flew off the shelves at first. Unfortunately, the people who bought it soon realized it was awful, and no one came back for more.

In college at OU back in the day, we drank Robin Hood Ale.

You could buy a 6 pack of 16 oz. bottles for $.99 (yes, 99 cents). Rot gut beer, but a cheap buzz if there ever was one.

pedro
02-27-2008, 01:42 PM

You could buy a 6 pack of 16 oz. bottles for $.99 (yes, 99 cents). Rot gut beer, but a cheap buzz if there ever was one.

we used to drink Hudy 14K as our post bar closing late night party beer (b/c by then it didn't matter). We could get a case for 6 bucks (including the bottle deposit)

RFS62
02-27-2008, 01:56 PM

Yeah, but back then you could put a new roof on your log cabin for 99 cents.

:p:

SunDeck
02-27-2008, 04:07 PM
Yeah, but back then you could put a new roof on your log cabin for 99 cents.

Wow- Pot. Kettle. Black.

RFS62
02-27-2008, 05:46 PM
Wow- Pot. Kettle. Black.

Yep. That's how I knew how much it costs.

Redhook
02-28-2008, 08:25 AM

Good stuff. I picked up a 12-pack and drank a few last night. I like it. I do prefer a slightly stronger pale ales, but it was still very good.

I'll tell you what. Moerlein's OTR (Over The Rhine) is outstanding. I'm surprised it's not more popular around here. I had some on draft the other night at Century Inn. It's really, really good. I highly recommend it.

pedro
02-28-2008, 01:31 PM
Good stuff. I picked up a 12-pack and drank a few last night. I like it. I do prefer a slightly stronger pale ales, but it was still very good.

I'll tell you what. Moerlein's OTR (Over The Rhine) is outstanding. I'm surprised it's not more popular around here. I had some on draft the other night at Century Inn. It's really, really good. I highly recommend it.

I generally like a hoppier beer myself but SNPA is good in a pinch and it's very consistent.

It's light enough to be a decent summer beer too.

SunDeck
02-28-2008, 05:15 PM
This is now my official favorite thread.

Ever.

That just needed to be said- thanks for your patience.

Cyclone792
02-28-2008, 05:42 PM
This is now my official favorite thread.

Ever.

That just needed to be said- thanks for your patience.

Might be mine too. If I notice a new post in this thread then it's the first one I open.

I had Sam Adams White Ale on tap recently, and it was simply fabulous. I like it better this spring than I did last spring. I'm still waiting for their Irish Red to come out in sixers, but I haven't seen any yet. They just have two Irish Reds in their Brewmaster's packs, and while I'm tempted, I'm not a big fan of some of the other beers in that pack.

RedsManRick
02-28-2008, 05:52 PM
Pardon my relative ignorance, but how you guys quantify a great beer? What qualities? What should it taste like? I feel like wine gets all the attention for it's subtleties, but beer is easily more complex.

Being a Wisconsin grad, I tend to be a very big fan of Leinenkugel, especially honey-weiss and berry-weiss, but I couldn't begin to describe the difference between a Bud, Miller Light, and a Coors.

I can appreciate the quality of a Guiness, but prefer Sam Adams if I'm drinking something darker. Again, I couldn't really tell you why. Help?

Johnny Footstool
02-28-2008, 06:08 PM
I'm still waiting for their Irish Red to come out in sixers, but I haven't seen any yet. They just have two Irish Reds in their Brewmaster's packs, and while I'm tempted, I'm not a big fan of some of the other beers in that pack.

You haven't seen the Irish Red in Sixers yet? I bought one last week. Granted, it was the last in the store, so maybe they're just selling them out quickly.

It's an excellent beer, IMO. Malty, not hoppy, but with a lot of flavor.

SunDeck
02-29-2008, 07:07 AM
Pardon my relative ignorance, but how you guys quantify a great beer? What qualities? What should it taste like? I feel like wine gets all the attention for it's subtleties, but beer is easily more complex.

Being a Wisconsin grad, I tend to be a very big fan of Leinenkugel, especially honey-weiss and berry-weiss, but I couldn't begin to describe the difference between a Bud, Miller Light, and a Coors.

I can appreciate the quality of a Guiness, but prefer Sam Adams if I'm drinking something darker. Again, I couldn't really tell you why. Help?

Personally, I am not a real sophisticated beer drinker, but I do like beers that are pretty bold and that have a clean, crisp flavor. It can be a lager or an ale (I prefer hoppy ales), but it has to say something when it hits my palette. That is probably why I prefer ales, because in my experience, they are less subtle than lagers. And that is probably why, of lagers I like, they always tend to be on the darker side. For all I know, lagers may actually be a lot more of an artful brew because of that subtlety.

For porters and stouts, it is almost the opposite for me. The smoother and creamier, the more I like them. A local micro has a java porter that is very popular in town, but it is too strong for me.

TheBigLebowski
03-01-2008, 02:07 PM
Did anyone ever see Killian's Irish Honey?? I think that was the first beer I ever drank, then it disappeared.

My all-time favorite beer, for reasons other than taste, was Bad Frog Beer. I first tried about 8 years ago - my freshman year at UF. Tasted like swill - dark, very bitter and lots of alcohol (like 5.9%, I believe) and cheap - 2.99 for a 6 pack.

What made Bad Frog so unforgettable was the label - featured a fat frog sitting on a lilypad. The frog extended his middle finger to you and underneath him was the inscription "He Just Don't Give a Damn."

Thanks to the wonder that is the intraweb, I found the Bad Frog Brewery's website. I haven't seen their beer around here in years but it's comforting to know The Bad Frog is still around.

http://www.badfrog.com/index2.html

pedro
03-01-2008, 02:29 PM

My personal view is that it has to do with the quality of ingredients and consistency more than the actual style of beer which is something that each person views differently.

My favorite styles of beer are IPA's, Pale Ales, and Red's. Generally I prefer beers that are hoppy in nature and I really don't care much for lagers any more although they are nice at times when it is very hot out.

As for the difference between Miller, Budweiser, and Coors I would saw they have more in common than they are different.

westofyou
03-01-2008, 02:46 PM
Part of the beer that gets overlooked is how it's served, temperature, was it a co2 mixture? High.. low, was it hand pumped? On Nitrous?... is it over a month old? Most of the beers I drink our not bottled, I like a hoppy beer with limited malt, I prefer bitter to sweet and want the body to be robust and explode in my mouth, I don't care for beers over 6.5% because the alcohol overtakes the beers natural flavors. I like my beers not too flat and I don't care for the hand pump unless it's a Porter or a Stout. I also eschew beers that are too amped up with gas, getting the right carbonation of beer is pretty important and I seen some beers too carbonated.

TheBigLebowski
03-01-2008, 07:13 PM
The Atwater Brewery over-carbonates all of their beers. Their pilsner is almost undrinkable.

Cyclone792
03-02-2008, 06:31 PM
You haven't seen the Irish Red in Sixers yet? I bought one last week. Granted, it was the last in the store, so maybe they're just selling them out quickly.

It's an excellent beer, IMO. Malty, not hoppy, but with a lot of flavor.

I still haven't seen it yet anywhere. In fact, I was driving past Jungle Jim's yesterday (if there's a beer in existence, they typically have it) and decided to stop just to check out their beer selection again. Still no Irish Red on their shelves.

I'm stumped. :dunno:

Johnny Footstool
03-03-2008, 12:48 PM
I still haven't seen it yet anywhere. In fact, I was driving past Jungle Jim's yesterday (if there's a beer in existence, they typically have it) and decided to stop just to check out their beer selection again. Still no Irish Red on their shelves.

I started calling ahead -- the liquor stores around here have electronic inventory tracking, so they can tell me if it's in stock or not.

vaticanplum
03-06-2008, 03:49 PM

Try the Party Source in Newport. They have a great selection and they've also ordered stuff for me before.

Johnny Footstool
03-07-2008, 12:58 AM
The liquor store I frequent got a new shipment of Sam's Red on Tuesday. I went tonight and they only had one cold sixer left. It's pretty popular.

Redhook
03-07-2008, 07:50 AM
Feeling the effect of too many Brewtus' of Great Lakes Elliot Ness last night at Applebee's, but it was worth it. Very good beer, especially on draft.

Cyclone792
03-09-2008, 09:03 PM
Sammy's Irish Red has finally crept its way to the Cincy market, possibly just in time for one of the most important holidays of the year.

And it's a phenomenal beer.

goreds2
03-10-2008, 07:20 AM
Any Columbus, Ohio Reds fans know where I can find Lowenbrau? Thanks,

BRM
03-12-2008, 02:41 PM
I know you guys are just dying to know what Paul Daughtery thinks on this subject. Well, here you go.

Beer

Gotta love the blog. As much as I get PO'd at you guys, because I spend half my life moderating junk posts and venal attacks on my knowledge and ancestry (only I am permitted venal attacks on knowledge and ancestry) you always entertain, whether it's heated back and forth following a tongue-in-cheek post on G-g-g-global W-w-w-arming, or on a much more serious topic.

Such as beer.

I like beer. No, let me amend that. I love beer. I count a cold beer on a warm night on the back deck beneath the stars, listening to Marty and the Boyz, as among life's finest pleasures. In fact, if I were to leave earth tomorrow, I'd miss my family, my big-screen HDTV, my autographed copy of The Prince of Tides, Montreat, 18 holes... and beer. True that.

I don't understand the hostility toward my favorite brand. Keystone Light rocks. It's not hoppy, so no bitterness. It's not heavy, so you can drink a whole lot of it without feeling or looking like Bluto. You can drink it in the afternoon without getting a headache. And you can buy 30 of those bad boys for 12 bucks.

(As an aside, I converted XU play-by-play man Joe Sunderman a few years ago, while we played golf. Joe drinks nothing else now. Still thanks me. Being a West Side guy and all, his barley knowledge is to be respected.)

I have refined tastes. I know my beers. I drink 'Stones because I like the taste. It rocks.

But just for the fun of it, I'll rank my top 5... I welcome you to do likewise. Maybe I'll try a few, as long as you're buying.

1 -- Keystone Light. Prime swill.
2 -- Guinness, on tap... forget the bottles and cans, with that silly nitrogen widget.
3 -- Blue Moon. OK, cool it with the sissy-beer talk. It's great on a hot day. No fruit, though.
4 -- Negro Modelo... actually any Mex beer but Corona. When I lived in Dallas 20 years ago, you could buy a six of Corona for 3 bucks. Then it became a Yuppie fascination. Overnight, it went to 6 bucks. And outta my fridge.
5 -- Moerlein... it's pretty good. Gotta give some love to the locals.
5a... Caribe... because it reminds of a vacation to St. John, USVI, paradise on earth.

Beers I won't drink: Stroh's (headache in a can); Sam Adams (way overrated, all brands); any IPA (don't like hops...there's a worldwide shortage of hops, meaning Bitter Beer Face has a chance to disappear for awhile)... those stupid fruit beers they're making now...

Beers I'll always try: Stouts and Porters... anything brewed in Belgium, by monks, routinely great stuff... anything German..they know what they're doing. Home brew.

Long live The Party Source.

SunDeck
03-12-2008, 02:53 PM
I figured he's be anti hops. Seems Doc thinks it's cool to look at a topic and pick the one thing that will irritate people who know about it. He could only do better by saying he thinks people who pay attention to IBUs are pencil pushers; he judges beer intuitively.

RichRed
03-12-2008, 03:21 PM
Good to see "Doc" knows as much about beer as he does about baseball.

BRM
03-12-2008, 03:27 PM
Some of the comments on his blog for that article are good.

Paul,

So concerned with price? Why not live the High Life? 30 Miller High Lifes for $13.49; far better than that horse's urine you're so fond of.

The Champagne of Beers; "A good honest beer at a tasty price".

Paul,

This is great. I always knew you were a man of the people. As far as beer is concerned, I live by one rule: the more expensive it is, the worst it takes.

Thats why it is the Beast light for me. When I drink Bud Light, that is drinking top shelf.

I too will admit to being a bit of a beer snob, so I'm right with you on the whole "Guinness from a tap" angle.

And I've heard you make the argument for years, but c'mon, Paul. Keystone Light? It's a lot like making love in a canoe, isn't it?

I mean, I'll make certain sacrifices when I'm looking to pinch a penny too, but I wouldn't include any of them in my Top Five List, either...

Dave in Delhi

Grew up on Natty Light...30 packs...free from my neighbor's garage. It will always hold a place in my heart!!!

keystone light. all day. anyday. most of the stuff listed above is for girls who can only drink two beers. me, thirty stones.

Johnny Footstool
03-12-2008, 03:58 PM
I used to drink Keystone Light.

Then I got out of high school.

BRM
03-12-2008, 04:04 PM
I'm not going to knock Keystone or anyone's personal beer choice because I can drink nearly anything. There are some beers that I don't buy or that I'm not particularly fond of but I can drink nearly any beer you put in front of me. I'm just not that picky when it comes to beer.

Redhook
03-12-2008, 04:08 PM
Daugherty sounds like a 12-year old talking about baseball and beer. Wow!

BRM
03-12-2008, 04:10 PM

He does get a tad defensive, doesn't he?

RichRed
03-12-2008, 04:24 PM

I was going to say he has the writing skill and style of a 10th-grader but I think you're closer to the mark.

"Keystone rocks!"

BoydsOfSummer
03-12-2008, 06:23 PM
I'll drink anything the tasty lass in BRM's avatar brings me. Even Keystone Light. Actually that's probably a good choice, since I could drink 50 of of those which means more visits from the lovely Fraulein.

Picked up a sixer of Sammy Irish Red. Gonna play some MLB: the Show and get Irish.:cool:

camisadelgolf
03-12-2008, 06:28 PM
I'll drink anything the tasty lass in BRM's avatar brings me. Even Keystone Light. Actually that's probably a good choice, since I could drink 50 of of those which means more visits from the lovely Fraulein.

Picked up a sixer of Sammy Irish Red. Gonna play some MLB: the Show and get Irish.:cool:

I have a friend from Hamilton who always gets in arguments in bars and says, "I'm Irish, and I'm willing to go outside with you to prove it."

BRM
03-13-2008, 09:49 AM
For me it boils down to my mood or what I'm doing at the moment. If the plan is to drink 12-14 beers on a Saturday afternoon while I'm piddling around outside, I'll take Bud Light. If I want one beer, say with dinner, I'll take a Mojo, Red Rocket, Laughing Lab, or any number of local Colorado microbrews. There is no way I could drink 12 Mojo's or any other heavier beer. I'd be way too full by number 4 or 5.

I prefer the taste of the microbrews overall but it really comes down to how much money I've got and what I plan to do.

Redhook
03-13-2008, 08:42 PM
If the plan is to drink 12-14 beers on a Saturday afternoon while I'm piddling around outside, I'll take Bud Light.

I like your style.

I prefer the taste of the microbrews overall.

I like your moves.

RFS62
03-13-2008, 10:36 PM
Doc loves Keystone Light.

That explains a lot.

BRM
03-14-2008, 10:25 AM
I drank Keystone quite a bit back when I was a young enlisted man. It was pretty much all I could afford.

smoke6
03-14-2008, 10:33 AM
Yuengling Lager... FTW

harangatang
03-16-2008, 01:18 AM
I just bought a 6 pack of Summit Brewing Winter Ale from Jungle Jim's for $4 (end of the season clearance). I've never heard of it before but it's pretty good. It's apparently made in St. Paul.

goreds2
03-16-2008, 02:49 AM

Tracy Jones always talks about liking Old Milwaukee Light. It's not bad beer for the money.

http://www.oldmilwaukee.com/BeerBuiltRight.aspx

Stewie
03-16-2008, 09:45 AM
one of the best beers i've tasted in quite sometime:

http://www.news4uonline.com/images/features/beer4.jpg

I just picked up a 6pk of this the other day, and I'd have to agree, it was quite tasty.

Highlifeman21
03-16-2008, 05:00 PM
I like your style.

I like your moves.

Thank you Starsky & Hutch....

Here's a question for you, as well as other RZ golfers out there...

What's your favorite beer to quench a post-round thirst?

Usually for me in the summer, I like something light and crisp after my round, which more often than not translates into a Blue Moon with a full slice of orange.

Matt700wlw
03-16-2008, 05:05 PM
Jager and Guiness - CAR BOMBS....those tasted pretty good last night :)

Didn't feel so good this morning...

Chip R
03-16-2008, 05:41 PM
Thank you Starsky & Hutch....

Here's a question for you, as well as other RZ golfers out there...

What's your favorite beer to quench a post-round thirst?

The kind someone else pays for cause I won a bet. :D

Redhook
03-16-2008, 05:59 PM
The kind someone else pays for cause I won a bet. :D

Exactly.

I don't know, Highlife. After a round of golf I'm not too picky on my beer selection. Blue Moon is definitely a great after golf beer. I could still drink my normal pale ales and ambers as well.

IMO, drinking a cold beer after 18 holes is one of life's greatest pleasures (In fact I'm doing it right now :p:). Just about any will do for me.

RFS62
03-16-2008, 11:47 PM
http://www.samueladams.com/_img/verification/left_bottles.jpg

03-17-2008, 12:49 AM
I was at a show in Urbana, Illinois Thursday, and the bar had alot of good beers on tap. They also had PBR. My friend got an Sierra Nevavd Pale Ale, and when I ordered a PBR, I told him that I could find all those good ones at home, but I couldn't find PBR on tap in Terre Haute, and I was going to try one.

I feel so damn greek now.

Redhook
03-17-2008, 08:34 AM
http://www.samueladams.com/_img/verification/left_bottles.jpg

My go to beer. I love it.

westofyou
03-17-2008, 10:02 AM
Blue Moon with a full slice of orange.

Beer and Fruit... blasphemy.

Highlifeman21
03-17-2008, 10:19 AM
Beer and Fruit... blasphemy.

I know, I know.... I should be flogged in public.

Something about that slice of orange really brings out the flavor in Blue Moon, IMO.

BRM
03-17-2008, 11:52 AM
I had a Blue Moon for the first time this past weekend. It's not bad. My buddy told me you're supposed to have a slice of orange with it but I declined. WOY is right, fruit and beer just don't go tegether.

Johnny Footstool
03-17-2008, 12:15 PM
WOY is right, fruit and beer just don't go together.

If you happen to like the taste of beer with citrus in it, they go together just fine.

Boulevard Wheat with Lemon is excellent. A squeeze of lime gives Bud Light some much-needed character. I don't like Blue Moon, but if someone wants to add an orange to it, or a pineapple, or drink it from a hollowed-out casaba melon, I say go for it.

BRM
03-17-2008, 12:32 PM
That's what I keep hearing Johnny. Personally, I'm not a huge fan of citrus beers but I'll drink one when someone hands it to me. Case in point, last Friday night.

RichRed
03-17-2008, 01:18 PM
Something about that slice of orange really brings out the flavor in Blue Moon, IMO.

I agree. I know that I should be against it just on general principle, but it really tastes good. Especially nice in the spring or summer.

BRM
03-17-2008, 01:38 PM
I also tried 2 Below Winter Ale on Saturday. It's made by New Belgium Brewery in Ft Collins, CO. Same folks that make Fat Tire. I was not impressed.

03-17-2008, 02:14 PM
I had Blue Moon not too long ago. I really did not like it at all.

BRM
03-17-2008, 02:20 PM
I didn't think Blue Moon was necessarily bad but I wasn't all that impressed with it either. It's not one that I would buy, put it that way.

durl
03-17-2008, 03:44 PM
While I went through a phase as a kid where I liked Yogi, "Smokey The..." was always my favorite. Now I really don't have a fav.

BoydsOfSummer
03-18-2008, 12:33 AM
I don't get the popularity of Blue Moon either. I had a couple at my fav pub and didn't care for it at all. Still selling it but dropped the Leinenkugel. Boo!

pedro
03-18-2008, 01:32 AM
An organic brewery called Hopworks (http://www.hopworksbeer.com/) is opening about 5 blocks from my house later this month. The brewer worked at another brewery in town and makes some really great beer. He won the small brewpub category at the 2004 World Beer Cup (http://www.beertown.org/events/wbc/index.html).

I'm really looking forward to trying his new beers.

D-Man
03-26-2008, 09:57 PM
Leffe Blonde

It's a Belgian Abbey Ale with a tasty blend of spices. Very mild. Low on the hops.

It's like the Bud for Belgians.

paintmered
03-26-2008, 10:04 PM
Leffe Blonde

It's a Belgian Abbey Ale with a tasty blend of spices. Very mild. Low on the hops.

It's like the Bud for Belgians.

Concur on the Leffe recommendation. It tastes even better drinking it from one of these:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/6a/Leffe_beer_glass_small.jpg/180px-Leffe_beer_glass_small.jpg

Their brun is even better than the blonde, but I've never found the brun in the States. I'll probably buy the store out of it the first time I find it here. Even Jungle Jim's doesn't carry it, and I could find Brugse Zot and Kwak there.

Stella is the Belgian Bud. You can't walk into a bathroom in Belgium without running into a Stella tap.

camisadelgolf
03-26-2008, 10:40 PM
Stella is the Belgian Bud. You can't walk into a bathroom in Belgium without running into a Stella tap.

Maybe that helps explain why Bud tastes like piss.

And yes, I have.

Johnny Footstool
03-27-2008, 10:23 AM
I don't get the popularity of Blue Moon either. I had a couple at my fav pub and didn't care for it at all. Still selling it but dropped the Leinenkugel. Boo!

I had their new "Rising Moon" spring ale last weekend. It's a wheat ale with hints of lime.

I do like lime in some beers, but this was pretty dull. I liked it better than their Belgian White (which I won't drink at all), but I still wouldn't buy it.

BRM
03-27-2008, 10:30 AM
I haven't had a Rising Moon yet. Not sure I really want to.

I was given a Michelob Ultra with Lime Citrus the other day. It was pitched as similar to Corona Light. I've never had Corona Light so I don't know if it compares but I wasn't a big fan. It wasn't horrible but again, something I wouldn't buy.

westofyou
03-27-2008, 10:50 AM
New Beer in town, in a new pub

Here's their flowery IPA description.. good beer

Hopworks Organic IPA

Our namesake IPA is a Northwest classic. Generous additions of Amarillo, Centennial, and Ahtanum hops find their way into the kettle, hop-back, and dry-hop. This judicious use of the "brewers spice" creates rich and resinous flavors of citrus fruit and pine. The finest organic Canadian pilsner malt and organic German Munich and Caramunich malts then bring balance to your new favorite beer.

6.6% ABV

15 Degrees Plato OG*

75 IBU

*Plato Scale
Professional brewers often use the Plato (oP) scale, instead of specific gravity, as a measure of the sugar levels in wort and beer. Very roughly, a 1.004 Specific Gravity (SG) is equivalent to 1° Plato (1% sucrose) and 1.040 to 10° Plato (10% sucrose). In other words, each Plato degree accounts for 0.004 Specific Gravity. To convert Specific Gravity to Plato, divide the digits to the right of the decimal point by 4. For example, 1.044 is 11° Plato and 1.054 is 13.5° Plato. There will not be a quiz on this.

Johnny Footstool
03-27-2008, 12:58 PM
I haven't had a Rising Moon yet. Not sure I really want to.

I was given a Michelob Ultra with Lime Citrus the other day. It was pitched as similar to Corona Light. I've never had Corona Light so I don't know if it compares but I wasn't a big fan. It wasn't horrible but again, something I wouldn't buy.

The problem is, brewers can't capture the same flavor you get by squeezing a lime or lemon into your beer. They can't put real juice into the beer -- I'm guessing the citric acid and fructose would wreck the brewing process. Instead, they add weird, artificial approximations and extracts. Or, in the case of Rising Moon, they add "essence of lime leaf" (???). The result is a lifeless, vaguely grassy flavor.

BoydsOfSummer
03-27-2008, 08:12 PM
Finally had some Sammy Irish Red. Man did I like that stuff. Very nice.

NoCalRed
03-27-2008, 08:44 PM
New Beer in town, in a new pub

Here's their flowery IPA description.. good beer

Quote:
Hopworks Organic IPA

Our namesake IPA is a Northwest classic. Generous additions of Amarillo, Centennial, and Ahtanum hops find their way into the kettle, hop-back, and dry-hop. This judicious use of the "brewers spice" creates rich and resinous flavors of citrus fruit and pine. The finest organic Canadian pilsner malt and organic German Munich and Caramunich malts then bring balance to your new favorite beer.

6.6% ABV

15 Degrees Plato OG*

75 IBU

*Plato Scale
Professional brewers often use the Plato (oP) scale, instead of specific gravity, as a measure of the sugar levels in wort and beer. Very roughly, a 1.004 Specific Gravity (SG) is equivalent to 1 Plato (1% sucrose) and 1.040 to 10 Plato (10% sucrose). In other words, each Plato degree accounts for 0.004 Specific Gravity. To convert Specific Gravity to Plato, divide the digits to the right of the decimal point by 4. For example, 1.044 is 11 Plato and 1.054 is 13.5 Plato. There will not be a quiz on this.

Most wine makers I believe use the Plato scale as well. As for the new brew you mentioned, sounds good. 75IBU rating is heading into the double IPA catagory. But check out this bad boy http://www.beernewsletter.com/blog/?p=489. This article is a little old though because I do think the brewery is going to start putting the beer in bottles some time soon. The pub is a nice place with lots of different beers, live music and their beer baskets are great eats while putting down a pint.

Cyclone792
05-09-2008, 11:49 AM
Interesting article up in the Enquirer this morning:

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080509/BIZ01/305090016

Moerlein reviving Cincinnati beer
Queen City used to be the center of the German beer-making legacy in the U.S.
BY JOHN ECKBERG | JECKBERG@ENQUIRER.COM

If Greg Hardman has his way, Cincinnati will again be the beer center of the nation.

“If I have anything to do with it, yes,” crowed Hardman, president and chief executive of the Christian Moerlein Co. and father to a small but growing family of beers.

Hardman bought the 1853 Cincinnati beer label four years ago and has been steadily growing sales in the region.

This summer he plans to begin the first phase of a national expansion by rolling out his handful of beer brands to Indianapolis, Columbus and Louisville.

His new Lager House Original Golden Helles, a remake of the classic Moerlein lager, will be offered to the beer-drinking public at the Beer Barons Weekend at the Muhlhauser Barn in West Chester next Saturday, May 17.

At the center of the event, and the company’s expansion, are the hearty beers that are throwbacks to another time and place. Many of the flavors were created in the late 1800s in Over-the-Rhine breweries whose buildings are still standing.

“Our beers have a uniquely Cincinnati twist without being Cincinnati-centric” Hardman said. “These beers have stories, and the stories have meaning that will reverberate beyond our region.”

In the 19th century, Cincinnati was one of the nation’s biggest producers and consumers of beer.

Thanks to a growing and mostly German and Irish population of laborers, Over-the-Rhine was at the center of the movement.

In 1840, there were eight breweries in town. Within 20 years there were 36 breweries here – in part because of the population but also because railroads and the Miami and Erie canals made it easy to bring grains to the brewers. Among them were names like John Hauck, Christian Moerlein and Conrad Windisch, beer barons who became men of influence and power.

Beer gardens were created along the canal in the West End and Over-the-Rhine.

On Sundays, Cincinnatians would go to church, and many would find their way to Over-the-Rhine or the West End to sing, drink and revel. Some churches had rathskellers, where beer was served after Mass.

“Then they would make their way to the beer gardens,” Hardman said.

Few brewers became as famous as Moerlein, who was so consumed by the beverage that he built a home next to his massive brewery, which once filled three blocks of upper Over-the-Rhine near Elm and Henry streets.

That brewery is long gone, but his house still stands.

A lifelong love of beer

Hardman, a 1984 graduate of Ohio University, also has had a lifelong love of beer.

A former salesman and general manager of the Bobcat Beverage Co., a beer distributor in Athens, Hardman came to Cincinnati in 1989 when he married Patrice McLaughlin of Middletown.

He soon went to work for Warsteiner Importers Agency, then based in Denver, Colo., and in 1996 became president of U.S. operations.

For three years, he commuted to Chicago from Cincinnati, leaving during the week and returning home on weekends.

The company realized he was not going to move to Chicago, so it moved its headquarters to West Chester and for a while it worked. But Hardman, 45, of Mason, was still dissatisfied, and by 2004, he was ready to have a beer company of his own.

“I wanted to bring back the Cincinnati brewing traditions,” he said. “I wanted to make an impact by bringing back that heritage with the Moerlein brands.”

So he bought the Moerlein brand and began to sell the beer locally. He knows the summer of 2008 is going to be a critical one for his company.

Though brewed in Wilkes-Barre, Pa., by contract, the Moerlein family of products will soon be sold across the Midwest. The company will begin offering a Discovery Pack – a 12-pack of samples of Moerlein brands.

The repositioning of the Hudepohl brand, also owned by Moerlein, will follow in 2009, and Hardman said he hopes eventually to extend the beer’s reach nationally.

In the craft beer industry, growth usually occurs through word-of-mouth, said Ted Wright, managing partner of Fizz, a viral marketing company based in Atlanta that specializes in the beverage industry.

“Americans are great at finding something they like and saying, ‘It’s pretty good, I’ll pay a premium for that,’” he said. “They tell their friends. Artisans are able to make a living. But beers without a story don’t sell. When you have a story, it becomes interesting to influencers. And you can definitely tell stories about craft beer.”

Word-of-mouth has been good for Moerlein so far, Hardman acknowledged, though he would not disclose revenues.

“We’ve seen a doubling or even tripling of sales in the past two to four years. We expect that trend to continue.”

One driver for the growth is that some beer drinkers in America have started spurning cheaper brands to trade up, Hardman said. So far they have been willing to spend more for a quality handcrafted beer, even as gasoline prices are rising and cutting into disposable income.

“It’s all about affordable luxuries,” he said. “Any beer that sells for under $10 a six-pack is an affordable luxury.”

But that trend may be changing, according to industry analysts.

In the past three years, craft beer consumption has grown by 36 percent, though the category still represents just 4 percent of all beer sold, said Benj Steinman, editor of Beer Marketer’s Insights, a brewing trade publication based in Nanuet, NY. But, for the first time in years, Steinman said, that craft growth has hit a plateau.

“In the most recent four-week period, because of higher gasoline prices, craft beer sales grew by just 2 percent,” Steinman said.

One reason for the slowdown may be that craft beer prices are up by 5.6 percent because of rising prices for raw materials and energy, he said.

“Whatever the reason, something has changed in the growth algorithm in the last month or two,” Steinman said.

Years of research and testing

Hardman recognizes he has a lot at stake in his Moerlein family of brands – years of research, painstaking trial and error to develop recipes, and a plan to roll out beer to nearby cities that may not be as keen on a Queen City brand as beer drinkers in Southwest Ohio.

For instance, Moerlein’s Over-the-Rhine ale took two years to perfect and features three malts and an infusion of pricy Cascade and Fuggle hops to recreate ale from the 19th century.

“This is unique pale ale, unlike any on the market,” Hardman said.

But creating craft beers, which have toasty malted flavors, is only the first step toward building a brand.

This Moerlein effort comes complete with new bottle labels, new packaging and a new approach in the Discovery pack.

Labels by Hartwell artist Jim Effler depict Cincinnati streetscapes, a pig fountain for the Fifth & Vine Oktoberfest and Frederick I Barbarossa, a benign and beloved German ruler and Holy Roman emperor who also liked beer.

West Chester’s role

While Over-the-Rhine was the home of most brewers in the region, including the Hudepohl Brewing Co. and Christian Moerlein, West Chester also played a role in the industry.

Former farmland at the Union Centre Boulevard exit on Interstate 75 was where draft horses were rested for brewers Moerlein, Windisch-Muhlhauser and Hauck Brewing Co.

It’s also where brewers grew barley for the beer.

Robert S. Pohl, president and chief executive emeritus of the original Hudepohl Brewing Co., brought back the original Christian Moerlein beer and maintained its high standards in 1981.

The beer is the first American brew to meet the terms of the Reinheitsgebot (the German beer-purity law), which was created in 1516.

“It was one of the first craft beers to be sold east of the Mississippi River,” Hardman said.

Singing in the streets of OTR

Many questions remain about whether craft beer will grow at the extraordinary pace. Can a small local brewer – Moerlein is sold only in Dayton, Greater Cincinnati and Northern Kentucky today – compete with other regional brewers? Hardman is certain it can.

After all, he said, Cincinnatians are only a few generations removed from the glory days of beer drinking. And consumption of craft beer has consistently grown, particularly with younger beer drinkers who seek out quality.

“If all beer categories are slowing and craft is still up 2 percent, well that 2 percent still looks pretty good,” he said.

Will there ever be a day when folks will again gather in beer gardens in Over-the-Rhine to join arms and sing a few songs while sipping a frosty malted beverage?

“Wouldn’t that be nice. Wouldn’t that be a sweet dream,” Hardman asked.

“And you know what? I don’t think we’re that far off. And I believe it’s going to happen in our lifetime.”

Chip R
05-09-2008, 11:55 AM
For instance, Moerlein’s Over-the-Rhine ale took two years to perfect and features three malts and an infusion of pricy Cascade and Fuggle hops to recreate ale from the 19th century.

That's some really good beer.

Cyclone792
05-09-2008, 11:58 AM
That's some really good beer.

I went to Jungle Jim's earlier this week and picked up a couple single bottles. One of them was the Moerlein OTR; I haven't had it yet, but it's sitting in my fridge waiting. This weekend might be a good time to give it a whirl.

Chip R
05-09-2008, 12:03 PM
I went to Jungle Jim's earlier this week and picked up a couple single bottles. One of them was the Moerlein OTR; I haven't had it yet, but it's sitting in my fridge waiting. This weekend might be a good time to give it a whirl.

Everybodys' tastes are different but I think it's an excellent beer. They sell it at GAB too in the upper level just on the 1st base side. I'm a pretty cheap SOB when I go to games so I'll usually get pop than beer but there was a line at the concession stand for pop and no line where they were selling OTR so I got beer instead.

Redhook
05-10-2008, 07:47 AM

It's an awesome beer. Probably my second favorite beer.

IIRC, you weren't too fond of Great Lakes Burning River. Am I correct? OTR is similar to that, just not quite as strong. Burning River is my favorite beer. I like strong ales and lagers though.

Give OTR a chance. It takes a while to like stronger beers. But once you do, it's hard to go back to the light lagers.

Thanks for posting the article too!

Highlifeman21
05-10-2008, 08:20 AM
Not sure if any of you have been privy to it, but Long Trail's Blackberry Wheat is quite quite yummy.

Oddly enough, I prefer it ice cold out of a bottle, as opposed to draught (which I had for the first time last night).

Definitely worth a taste, IMO.

Yachtzee
05-10-2008, 10:12 AM
It's an awesome beer. Probably my second favorite beer.

IIRC, you weren't too fond of Great Lakes Burning River. Am I correct? OTR is similar to that, just not quite as strong. Burning River is my favorite beer. I like strong ales and lagers though.

Give OTR a chance. It takes a while to like stronger beers. But once you do, it's hard to go back to the light lagers.

Thanks for posting the article too!

I'm looking forward to my next trip down to Cincinnati to try some of this. Hopefully they'll have it on tap at Oktoberfest Zinzinnati. I like seeing that Christian Moerlein is going more the craft brew route instead of trying to be a regional mass-market beer.

westofyou
05-10-2008, 11:55 AM
I had some of this this week. Stunning stuff.

Westvleteren 12 (yellow cap) (formerly Abt), a 10.2% ABV

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westvleteren_Brewery#Notes

Although taste is highly subjective and individual, many international beer drinkers consider the Westvleteren 12 to be among their favourite beers. The members of BeerAdvocate.com[4] and RateBeer.com[5], two beer rating websites, consistently rate the Westvleteren 12 as their most enjoyable beer; the 8 and the Blonde also rank highly on both sites.

In June 2005, when Westvleteren 12 was again highlighted as "Best Beer in the World" in a bi-annual competition on RateBeer.com, news organizations followed this up and articles appeared in the international press, highlighting the beer ranking and the unusual business policies.

Following these events, interest in Westvleteren's output increased, and stories appeared of the abbey's stock being low, forcing the monks to reduce the amount of beer sold to each customer. Though stocks have always been low and supplies have always been limited and uncertain. In an interview with Belgian newspaper De Morgen, monk Mark Bode explained that the abbey had no intention of increasing its production, despite demand.

Despite the popularity, the monks of St Sixtus have continued to decline almost all interview and visit requests, and have not enjoyed all of the attention they have received. Non-monastic visitors to the abbey are usually turned away, instead being directed to the visitor's centre opposite where there is information about the abbey and brewery. They have stated a desire to live a peaceful monastic life, and find the resulting interruptions quite intrusive.

goreds2
06-11-2008, 02:36 PM
Has anyone tried Bud Light LIME? Not too bad. It's kind of an imatation of Corona with the lime flavor already in it.

06-11-2008, 03:52 PM
No...everytime I see it I see the words light and lime.

PedroBourbon
06-11-2008, 03:58 PM
Yuenling
Lowenbrau
Blue Moon
Bud Light
Sam Adams Light
Smithwick's

There all good