PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Beer

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5

westofyou
06-11-2008, 04:30 PM
No...everytime I see it I see the words light and lime.

2 things I want as far from my beer as possible.

Kingspoint
06-11-2008, 06:48 PM
Too many beers left to try to pick a favorite, and westofyou has inspired me to go out tonight and try the Westvleteren 12 (yellow cap).

06-11-2008, 07:34 PM
Too many beers left to try to pick a favorite, and westofyou has inspired me to go out tonight and try the Westvleteren 12 (yellow cap).

This is like the most useful thread ever.:beerme:

Yachtzee
06-11-2008, 11:18 PM
Brewed my own last weekend, an ESB, at a Brew-your-own facility in the west suburbs of Cleveland. I'll let everyone know how it turns out.

My dad learned the hard way that Great Lakes' Black Out Stout is a Russian Imperial Stout-style with 9% ABV. The bar we were at served them up in regular 20 oz. draft beer glasses they use for everything (it was a Scorchers). My poor dad didn't know what hit him, so we had to pull over before long so he could throw up on the side of the road. It wasn't until the next day when I checked the website to find out it wasn't a regular stout but a Russian Imperial. I was kind of disappointed because I can remember a time when Great Lakes didn't sell kegs to bars unless they agreed to serve the beer properly. In this case, I wouldn't serve Black Out Stout in anything larger than an 8 oz. glass. I can only imagine some guy having a large one of those and getting behind the wheel before the full effect of the beer hits him.

deltachi8
06-11-2008, 11:29 PM
My current love affair:

http://www.saranac.com/images/added/CaramelPorter-1.jpg

planning to stock up on it before I leave for Texas...

Roy Tucker
06-12-2008, 08:22 AM
I had me some Bourbon Barrel Porter recently (porter aged in used Woodford Reserve bourbon barrels).

It was some pretty good stuff.

15fan
06-12-2008, 09:25 AM
Down in FLA over Memorial Weekend, I found a long lost beer available...on tap. Kona Fire Rock Pale Ale. Hadn't seen it since I was out in Hawaii over the Holidays in 2000.

I quickly quizzed the entire wait staff until they put me in touch with a local retailer most likely to have the stuff on hand. And he did. And I bought it. All of it. And brought it home.

It now appears that Kona (www.konabrewingco.com) is much more widely distributed on the mainland. Thanks to the miracle of Al Gore's internet, I'm working with the local distributor to find out what retailers they supply around town so I can buy some more when my current supply runs out.

My next quest: Stingray Beer. Brewed on Grand Cayman Island and pretty much only available there. Drank a whoooooooole lot of that stuff when we honeymooned in 1997. I'd pay a nice price to have another one.

BRM
06-12-2008, 09:28 AM
Has anyone tried Bud Light LIME? Not too bad. It's kind of an imatation of Corona with the lime flavor already in it.

I didn't care much for it. I do agree it tastes like a Corona with lime in it, which I don't like either. I like Corona but don't fruit my beer, please.

Johnny Footstool
06-12-2008, 10:07 AM
I quickly quizzed the entire wait staff until they put me in touch with a local retailer most likely to have the stuff on hand. And he did. And I bought it. All of it. And brought it home.

Did this guy help?

http://classicautotags.com/images/burt_on_bandit_car_300_size_i1yx.jpg

Trace's Daddy
06-13-2008, 06:49 AM
http://www.shoppersvineyard.com/img/productImages/00451.gif

For me, though it's better in the fall and winter since it is a little heavy. Very good flavor.

CrackerJack
06-13-2008, 09:26 AM
I'm looking forward to my next trip down to Cincinnati to try some of this. Hopefully they'll have it on tap at Oktoberfest Zinzinnati. I like seeing that Christian Moerlein is going more the craft brew route instead of trying to be a regional mass-market beer.

Moerlein's Emancipator Bock is soooo good, but it's apparently seasonal and that irks me, their best brew and they hardly ever make it!

OTR is very good, I'm just kind of burnt out on it.

Their new Barbarossa Dark is yummy, better than OTR IMO.

Happy to see Moerlein is moving things back down to OTR again and doing craft brews. Just wish they'd serve more of them in local places on draft.

Yachtzee
06-13-2008, 09:36 AM
Moerlein's Emancipator Bock is soooo good, but it's apparently seasonal and that irks me, their best brew and they hardly ever make it!

Happy to see Moerlein is moving things back down to OTR again and doing craft brews. Just wish they'd serve more of them in local places on draft.

Give them time. Great Lakes is everywhere up here now, but I can remember a day when they were served only in a few bars. They built it up gradually so they wouldn't have to sacrifice quality. Hopefully CM does the same, as I think it will do a lot to ensure long-term stability and success. I'm really excited to try some of these new beers. I'm on the CM mailing list, so I hear about them, I just haven't been able to make it down.

I would expect the bock beer to stay seasonal, just because bock beers are traditionally seasonal, only served at Christmas and Easter time (I think they were originally developed by monks to be drunk during Advent and Lent). Of course, if it really takes off, they could take it national and go year round like Shiner Bock has.

15fan
06-13-2008, 10:18 AM
Did this guy help?

http://classicautotags.com/images/burt_on_bandit_car_300_size_i1yx.jpg

Nope. But he should have. The road between our house and the beach is mostly backroads through rural Alabama. He'd have fit right in...even in 2008.

Chip R
06-13-2008, 11:23 AM

I liked OTR better than the Emancipator but I'm going to have to try the Barbarossa.

CrackerJack
06-13-2008, 01:36 PM
Give them time. Great Lakes is everywhere up here now, but I can remember a day when they were served only in a few bars. They built it up gradually so they wouldn't have to sacrifice quality. Hopefully CM does the same, as I think it will do a lot to ensure long-term stability and success. I'm really excited to try some of these new beers. I'm on the CM mailing list, so I hear about them, I just haven't been able to make it down.

I would expect the bock beer to stay seasonal, just because bock beers are traditionally seasonal, only served at Christmas and Easter time (I think they were originally developed by monks to be drunk during Advent and Lent). Of course, if it really takes off, they could take it national and go year round like Shiner Bock has.

Ah thanks, makes sense, and good to know about Bocks and the reasoning behind it, but a bummer it's not year-round. CM isn't producing in Cincy yet - just distributing from what I understand. Maybe when they start bottling/producing here, the local taps will start carrying more of it. I went to their little Barbarossa tapping party at Findlay Market a while back (also a combo event for the Streetcar supporters) and talked to some of their folks. Would love to get a job working at brewery in OTR some day - but after some research, would just be a peon brewer most likely as I'm terrible at math and engineering (had no idea) in order to become a Brewmaster.

Any ways, my one big complaint about CM is the way they've raised their prices so dramatically, then again most craft/micro brews have been feeling the brunt of the hops shortages from what I understand, and they are trying to reach a different market I guess.

Chip - If you like OTR you should dig Barbarossa - if nothing else I love the artwork on the bottles. :)

Yachtzee
06-13-2008, 02:04 PM
Ah thanks, makes sense, and good to know about Bocks and the reasoning behind it, but a bummer it's not year-round. CM isn't producing in Cincy yet - just distributing from what I understand. Maybe when they start bottling/producing here, the local taps will start carrying more of it. I went to their little Barbarossa tapping party at Findlay Market a while back (also a combo event for the Streetcar supporters) and talked to some of their folks. Would love to get a job working at brewery in OTR some day - but after some research, would just be a peon brewer most likely as I'm terrible at math and engineering (had no idea) in order to become a Brewmaster.

Any ways, my one big complaint about CM is the way they've raised their prices so dramatically, then again most craft/micro brews have been feeling the brunt of the hops shortages from what I understand, and they are trying to reach a different market I guess.

Chip - If you like OTR you should dig Barbarossa - if nothing else I love the artwork on the bottles. :)

Yep. I wouldn't mind being a brewer myself, but just have too many old injuries to handle the rigors of the work and I need a steady paycheck. I might try to see if I can get a job as a brew coach with a "Brew-your-own" facility we have nearby.

I have a friend who was a brewer at a number of microbreweries making very little and ended up spending a year or so working for SevenUp or Coke or someone like that to get experience sought by Anheuser Busch so that he could get a job at the Columbus Brewery. My cousin, on the other hand, is a brewer for Sam Adams in Cincinnati. He got his job by just going down there every year and submitting an application until they asked him why he kept submitting his app. You start out low man on the totem pole and have to do a lot of hard work before you get a shot at being a brewmaster.

LoganBuck
09-04-2008, 09:46 PM
Samuel Adams Oktoberfest is apparently back my brother in law said it was on tap at a BWW in Dayton last week.

freestyle55
09-04-2008, 10:33 PM
Concur on the Leffe recommendation. It tastes even better drinking it from one of these:

Their brun is even better than the blonde, but I've never found the brun in the States. I'll probably buy the store out of it the first time I find it here. Even Jungle Jim's doesn't carry it, and I could find Brugse Zot and Kwak there.

If you ever do find the Brun, let me know...I've been looking for a few years as well. I've only ever found it in Europe, and in a random supermarket in Kimchon, South Korea...most random thing I've ever seen...

Easily my favorite beer, have a big bottle I'm saving for the right occaision...

paintmered
09-05-2008, 12:05 AM
If you ever do find the Brun, let me know...I've been looking for a few years as well. I've only ever found it in Europe, and in a random supermarket in Kimchon, South Korea...most random thing I've ever seen...

Easily my favorite beer, have a big bottle I'm saving for the right occaision...

I'm still looking and I still haven't found it in the states. Maybe with Imbev buying Budweiser, it will find its way here. :pray:

SunDeck
09-05-2008, 05:56 AM
Samuel Adams Oktoberfest is apparently back my brother in law said it was on tap at a BWW in Dayton last week.

I've been drinking it for the last few weeks here in Bloomington. A nice beer.
:beerme:

OesterPoster
09-05-2008, 06:09 AM
Ah yes, and so is my other fall favorite...Leinenkugel's Oktoberfest brew. Picked up my first 6-pack of the fall last week.

BoydsOfSummer
09-05-2008, 09:18 PM
Had my first Shiner Bock tonight. It was decent. Had something called an Island Lager or something (Margaritaville Brewery?). Tasted like your run of the mill American mass produced lager. Meh.

09-06-2008, 08:10 AM
I had a Budweiser American Ale a few days ago. It was suprisingy good, considering the label had "Budweiser" on it. I bought a 6 of them, a 6 of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, and a 6 of ANchor Steam Beer for a family cookout, so I don't really prefer mass produced big name beers. American Ale was really prety good.

deltachi8
09-06-2008, 01:06 PM
On my way to the St Arnold Brewery in Houston this afternoon for a tour and tasting. Don't know much about them, but I need to find a new favorite as my current(Saranac) is (sadly) not available in Texas

RFS62
09-06-2008, 10:09 PM

I've been drinking it for the last few weeks here in Bloomington. A nice beer.

I tested a few tonight and really like it.

Spitball
09-07-2008, 08:01 PM
I tried the Sam Adams Oktoberfest a couple of weeks ago and liked it. I really like Sam Adams Cream Stout.

My current favorite is Diamond Bear India Pale Ale. If you are in the Little Rock area, make sure to take the Diamond Bear Brewery's free tour and get 6 ounce free samples.

http://www.diamondbear.com/

deltachi8
09-07-2008, 11:05 PM
On my way to the St Arnold Brewery in Houston this afternoon for a tour and tasting. Don't know much about them, but I need to find a new favorite as my current(Saranac) is (sadly) not available in Texas

OK, this "tour" is really just a party - they give you a 5-10 minute speech on beer in general and St Arnold in particular, tell you whats on tap for sampling and then your off to get your four 1/2 pint samples. Music plays and people bring food, table games, etc. Quite fun actually.

As for the beer - it was fine for the most part but not great. I tasted the Texas Wheat (filtered American Wheat), Lawnmower (Kolch), Brown Ale and IPA. The Brown Ale was quite tasty and the Nolch style nice. The Wheat disappointing and IPA ok. We will be going back, because for $5, its a nice afternoon.

http://www.saintarnold.com/beers/images/labels_120/brown.gif

Jpup
09-08-2008, 12:40 AM
Bud Light & Corona. I can drink others, but those are the ones I prefer. I don't like any kind of ale. Rolling Rock is the worst beer I have ever tasted.

WVRedsFan
09-08-2008, 12:54 AM
Bud Light & Corona. I can drink others, but those are the ones I prefer. I don't like any kind of ale. Rolling Rock is the worst beer I have ever tasted.I like ale and I love Samuel Adams anything, but when I've having more than one or two, I usually go with a standard beer. Corona, unless you get it in a bar that sells a lot of it, gets skunky pretty quick. Rolling Rock is an acquired taste and I have acquired it over the years. It's different to say the least.

My preference is Yeungling or even PBR. Just good American beer.

jimbo
09-08-2008, 11:19 AM

I'm a big fan of Yeungling, but unfortunately (as I'm sure you know) it is not distributed in Ohio. I brought a couple cases of it back from Myrtle Beach this summer and always bring some back from PA whenever I get there.

Luckily, I have found a bar here in Troy who serves it on tap, although it's quite pricey.

Since Sam Adams is being discussed, I really like their Summer Ale.

Jpup
09-08-2008, 12:08 PM
I like ale and I love Samuel Adams anything, but when I've having more than one or two, I usually go with a standard beer. Corona, unless you get it in a bar that sells a lot of it, gets skunky pretty quick. Rolling Rock is an acquired taste and I have acquired it over the years. It's different to say the least.

I don't do bars. I never got the appeal of it. I just buy a case and put it in the fridge. It tends to keeps as long as I need it to. I'm not much of a drinker. I might drink 6 on Friday night and then not drink again for 6 months. I have to be in the mood for it. Last summer, when I was single, I was drinking quite a bit of beer on the weekends. It turned into a couple during the week nights. I made myself stop for fear of becoming addicted. Since February, I have drank about 1 case of BL and that's about it.

BRM
09-08-2008, 12:19 PM
Bud Light & Corona.

You guys are speaking my language. :)

MWM
09-08-2008, 08:50 PM
Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat has been my flavor of the week lately.

Highlifeman21
09-08-2008, 08:55 PM
Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat has been my flavor of the week lately.

If you can get your hands on it, try "Shock Top"

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/29/39908

Better than Blue Moon, IMO.

deltachi8
09-08-2008, 11:16 PM
If you can get your hands on it, try "Shock Top"

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/29/39908

Better than Blue Moon, IMO.

An A-B product (Shocktop)

Highlifeman21
09-08-2008, 11:20 PM
An A-B product (Shocktop)

I knew it was, but I didn't know if it was a regional thing.

I'd only heard of it up here in NE, have asked people in many other regions of this country and only a handful had heard of it, and even less had tried it.

Hoosier Red
09-09-2008, 09:57 AM
Killians has been my taste most recently. Though I'm a big fan of Leininkeugel as well.

jimbo
09-09-2008, 10:14 AM
I knew it was, but I didn't know if it was a regional thing.

I'd only heard of it up here in NE, have asked people in many other regions of this country and only a handful had heard of it, and even less had tried it.

BW3's has it on tap here locally. I like it, regardless of it being an AB product.

ChaseReds
09-09-2008, 10:23 AM
My favorite beer is: Rochefort Trappistes 10
http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/rochefort-trappistes-10/2360/ (a link to RateBeer's page of the beer).

Just to clear things up: Budweiser, Bud Light, Coors...etc are just attempts at "Beer". (In other words I don’t consider such horrific hop-water beer)

09-09-2008, 02:12 PM
Just to clear things up: Budweiser, Bud Light, Coors...etc are just attempts at "Beer". (In other words I don’t consider such horrific hop-water beer)

If you read through this thread, you'll see that you are pretty much preaching to the choir.:)

BRM
09-09-2008, 02:59 PM
If you read through this thread, you'll see that you are pretty much preaching to the choir.:)

Bunch of snobs. :p:

SunDeck
09-09-2008, 03:28 PM

Light beers are not my preference either, but I don't get all stuffy about it. They may lack the punch you want, but they are well brewed products; crisp, clean tasting and absolutely consistent, bottle after bottle after bottle.

ChaseReds
09-09-2008, 04:47 PM
Light beers are not my preference either, but I don't get all stuffy about it. They may lack the punch you want, but they are well brewed products; crisp, clean tasting and absolutely consistent, bottle after bottle after bottle.

My contention is not with “light” beers- it is with bad beers, or attempts at beers= Budweiser, bud light, miller, miller-light, coors, coors light…etc. I enjoy Pale Ales and IPA’s .

If you want good beer, check out Ratebeer.com (who will collectively disagree with anyone who suggests beers such as Bud Light or Miller Light are “well brewed products”). Try Great Lakes Burning River (http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/great-lakes-burning-river-pale-ale/1224/) if you like pale ales.

Also check out RateBeer.com to find other great (and not so great).

For everyone’s enjoyment here is a link to the worst beers in the world:

http://www.ratebeer.com/Ratings/TheWorstBeers.asp :beerme:

BRM
09-09-2008, 04:56 PM
My contention is not with “light” beers- it is with bad beers, or attempts at beers= Budweiser, bud light, miller, miller-light, coors, coors light…etc. I enjoy Pale Ales and IPA’s .

That's great. Not everyone would agree with you. It's all a matter of personal taste, obviously. The condescending attitude people have towards those who choose to drink the mass produced American beers is what gets truly annoying. Not everyone likes the $9 a 6 pack brands of beer. Others simply can't afford it. No reason to rip their choice of beer because of it.

Jpup
09-10-2008, 01:16 AM
I like Bud Light because that's what I acquired a taste for. I can't see anything wrong with it. To me, and most everyone I know, it's good stuff.

Super_Barry11
09-10-2008, 03:47 AM
Pyramid Apricot Weizen :beerme: :thumbup:

BRM
09-10-2008, 09:45 AM
I like Bud Light because that's what I acquired a taste for. I can't see anything wrong with it. To me, and most everyone I know, it's good stuff.

I drink more Bud Light than anything else and it's been that way since high school for me. I guess I just acquired a taste for it as well. I can drink just about anything though. I like some better than others but there really aren't many beers that I just flat don't like. Coors Light is the only one that comes to mind at the moment.

Chip R
09-10-2008, 11:08 AM
Pyramid Apricot Weizen :beerme: :thumbup:

Is that a beer or a dessert?

15fan
09-10-2008, 12:09 PM
http://www.shoppersvineyard.com/img/productImages/00451.gif

For me, though it's better in the fall and winter since it is a little heavy. Very good flavor.

This past weekend, I had a couple of pork tenderloins on the grill with the smoke box going. Savored a couple of Brooklyn Browns while I was working the grill.

Life was good.

BRM
09-10-2008, 12:11 PM

Don't fruit the beer.

jimbo
09-10-2008, 01:14 PM
That's great. Not everyone would agree with you. It's all a matter of personal taste, obviously. The condescending attitude people have towards those who choose to drink the mass produced American beers is what gets truly annoying. Not everyone likes the $9 a 6 pack brands of beer. Others simply can't afford it. No reason to rip their choice of beer because of it.

I think their is a place for each. For me, if I want a few beers while I'm grilling out or for dinner, then I like to drink the higher end micros. If I'm going to a UK football game to tailgate all day, I have no problem picking up a case of Natty Light.......or Bud Select if I'm splurging. :D

BRM
09-10-2008, 01:20 PM
I think their is a place for each. For me, if I want a few beers while I'm grilling out or for dinner, then I like to drink the higher end micros. If I'm going to a UK football game to tailgate all day, I have no problem picking up a case of Natty Light.......or Bud Select if I'm splurging. :D

Natty Light? I don't know. That might make the very, very short list of beers I don't much care for. It gives me a headache.

deltachi8
09-10-2008, 08:33 PM
This past weekend, I had a couple of pork tenderloins on the grill with the smoke box going. Savored a couple of Brooklyn Browns while I was working the grill.

Life was good.

FX Matt Brewery (makers of my favorite, Saranac) brew some batches of Brooklyn on contract.

Super_Barry11
09-10-2008, 11:31 PM

I consider it both. :D It's amazing!! :)

HumnHilghtFreel
09-11-2008, 12:35 AM
Natty Light? I don't know. That might make the very, very short list of beers I don't much care for. It gives me a headache.

I'm not one to really care for the taste of beer. Natty Light has been a savior for me as a student in that it's cheap and is watered down enough that the taste doesn't bother me, while still providing ample amounts of good natured fun:cool:

bucksfan2
09-11-2008, 08:32 AM
I'm not one to really care for the taste of beer. Natty Light has been a savior for me as a student in that it's cheap and is watered down enough that the taste doesn't bother me, while still providing ample amounts of good natured fun:cool:

We used to drink a ton of nati up at OSU. A few years ago you could get a 12 for under $5 and a case for under $10. We always thought it was just out of spec bud light. There was never a consistency in any of the beers. I moved on from Nati to Miller Lite towards the end of college.

Now I drink either Miller Lite, Heineken, or Amstel Light. Landshark Lager isn't too bad, taste similar to Corona but I don't like to fruit my beers.

BRM
09-11-2008, 09:26 AM
Heineken is another one that typically gives me a headache but I still like it. Amstel Light's not bad either.

cincyinco
09-12-2008, 03:58 AM
Paulaner oktoberfest in 5L kegs has been my choice for top beer lately. I have now worked for a liquor store for the past 1.5 months, and even though the pay sucks, the job is glorious. From shock top to drop top, heini's to leini's, IPA's, domestics, stouts, pilsners, draughts... Its all good. Just find what you like, raise your glass, and enjoy. If anyone needs help finding a beer, PM me and I will do what I can to find out anything about it as we have tons of distributors and reps we work with. A lot of brews I see mentioned in this thread that ya'll are saying are rare are one's I shelve and sell daily, (ie the drop/shock top).

SunDeck
09-16-2008, 09:27 PM
I'm having me some Moerlein OTR ale. Nice...even though I'm betting the original Christian Moerlein didn't brew any ales.

Sea Ray
09-18-2008, 04:28 PM

I see quite a few of you agree with me that Budweiser is not good. I've never figured out why Anheuser Busch sells so much of it. Any ideas?

SunDeck
09-18-2008, 04:58 PM
I see quite a few of you agree with me that Budweiser is not good. I've never figured out why Anheuser Busch sells so much of it. Any ideas?

Just a hunch, but maybe because millions of other people don't agree with you?

RANDY IN INDY
09-18-2008, 05:26 PM
It's why they make apples and oranges. A lot of folks that I know who used to love the standard beers no longer like them. Tastes change, and I think some folks turn into beer snobs. Whatever the case, there are plenty to choose from and everyone should be able to find something they like.

Yachtzee
09-18-2008, 06:17 PM

A bajillion dollars in advertising will do that for you. Over the years, A-B, Miller, and Coors have poured a lot of money into ads that tell Americans that a light inoffensive lager is the ideal American beer that not only tastes good, but makes you attractive to the opposite sex and is the key ingredient to having a good time.

WVRedsFan
09-18-2008, 06:49 PM
A bajillion dollars in advertising will do that for you. Over the years, A-B, Miller, and Coors have poured a lot of money into ads that tell Americans that a light inoffensive lager is the ideal American beer that not only tastes good, but makes you attractive to the opposite sex and is the key ingredient to having a good time.

Very true. Watch youngsters (21-25 crowd). Most of them drink Bud Light religiously (or if they're college students, Natural Light). It's made for those that drink 10-12 in a sitting (or stumbling). They don't like beer, just the buzz.

Redhook
09-18-2008, 08:37 PM
Very true. Watch youngsters (21-25 crowd). Most of them drink Bud Light religiously (or if they're college students, Natural Light). It's made for those that drink 10-12 in a sitting (or stumbling). They don't like beer, just the buzz.

That used to be me and is still is a couple of times a year. Personally, I think Natty Light and Bud Light are crappy beers. But, if I know I'm going to be drinking all day at a tail-gate or cabrewing I'll choose those beers. Outside of those rare occasions, I'll stick to the the real beers: Sam Adams, Great Lakes, OTR, etc.

I don't consider myself a beer snob at all because everyone has their opinion, but American Lagers are watered-down versions of what I consider a "real beer". A real beer is not something you can down like water or see through, imo.

I'm of the opinion that everyone can acquire a taste for quality beers, and it actually takes a lot less time than actually acquiring a taste for beer in general.

wolfboy
09-18-2008, 10:19 PM
PBR. Seriously. I love it.

SunDeck
09-18-2008, 10:20 PM
I don't consider myself a beer snob at all because everyone has their opinion, but American Lagers are watered-down versions of what I consider a "real beer". A real beer is not something you can down like water or see through, imo. .

I've had me some german pilseners that were light, crystal clear and fine drinking.

American beers are every bit as much a "beer" as are heavy ales, lagers, porters and the like. In fact, it's harder to make a lighter beer than it is one with an overpowering taste of malt and hops. Personally, I think the trend to make beers every more hoppy and bitter is a little bit boring and pretentious.

Anyway, lighter beers that ended up becoming the standard in the US were preferred over the heavy lagers by American born citizens (as opposed to immigrants). And I imagine at the time, back in say the 1880s, there were a fair amount of arguments about which beers were superior, only the snobs were on the other side of the table, touting the light, crisp taste of the new beers.

wolfboy
09-18-2008, 10:30 PM
Also love Old Speckled Hen and Fuller's London Pride. OTR is a local favorite.

Yachtzee
09-18-2008, 10:48 PM
I've had me some german pilseners that were light, crystal clear and fine drinking.

American beers are every bit as much a "beer" as are heavy ales, lagers, porters and the like. In fact, it's harder to make a lighter beer than it is one with an overpowering taste of malt and hops. Personally, I think the trend to make beers every more hoppy and bitter is a little bit boring and pretentious.

Anyway, lighter beers that ended up becoming the standard in the US were preferred over the heavy lagers by American born citizens (as opposed to immigrants). And I imagine at the time, back in say the 1880s, there were a fair amount of arguments about which beers were superior, only the snobs were on the other side of the table, touting the light, crisp taste of the new beers.

I would say that Prohibition and the advent of the national transportation system had more to do with shaping the beer market more than any distinct American "taste" for beer. Prior to prohibition, there were many different styles brewed in America on a regional level. Many local and regional brewers never made it through the Prohibition era and those that did survived on the local level, but had difficulty competing with brewers who were able to succeed in applying mass production techniques to spread out on a national level. Brewers who could make good beer on a small scale often found it difficult to produce the same level of quality on a large scale and couldn't compete with A-B, with its regional breweries and transportation network. Even a big player like Schlitz felt the pressure, cutting its production time to get beer out faster, but which resulted in sacrificing clarity. Unfortunately, they realized too late that people care about the look of their beer as well as the taste, and the cloudy beer caused their downfall.

For brewers like A-B, taste has been secondary. Their real concern is that it is consistent, tasting and looking the same everywhere. In fact, they have often changed the recipes because market research and focus groups have told them that "women like less hoppy, lighter tasting beers" or some other demographic likes some other taste. If you could go back in time, I think you'd find the Budweiser produced today is noticeably different from the beer produced 100, 50, or even 25 years ago.

SunDeck
09-19-2008, 08:43 AM
I would say that Prohibition and the advent of the national transportation system had more to do with shaping the beer market more than any distinct American "taste" for beer. Prior to prohibition, there were many different styles brewed in America on a regional level. Many local and regional brewers never made it through the Prohibition era and those that did survived on the local level, but had difficulty competing with brewers who were able to succeed in applying mass production techniques to spread out on a national level. Brewers who could make good beer on a small scale often found it difficult to produce the same level of quality on a large scale and couldn't compete with A-B, with its regional breweries and transportation network. Even a big player like Schlitz felt the pressure, cutting its production time to get beer out faster, but which resulted in sacrificing clarity. Unfortunately, they realized too late that people care about the look of their beer as well as the taste, and the cloudy beer caused their downfall.

For brewers like A-B, taste has been secondary. Their real concern is that it is consistent, tasting and looking the same everywhere. In fact, they have often changed the recipes because market research and focus groups have told them that "women like less hoppy, lighter tasting beers" or some other demographic likes some other taste. If you could go back in time, I think you'd find the Budweiser produced today is noticeably different from the beer produced 100, 50, or even 25 years ago.

True, prohibition had a profound effect on the brewing industry and only the large ones and those who came up with creative survival mechanisms made it. And yes, A-B was revolutionary because they mastered brewing techniques and were able to provide a consistent tasting beer on a large scale, something that was not easily done 120 years ago. And yes, they have changed their recipe over time to (gasp!) gain market share. It's been a winning recipe for them- doing market research and producing beers that a lot of consumers want to drink. If they don't like it there are plenty of alternatives out there; no one is forcing them to buy Bud.

BRM
09-19-2008, 08:54 AM

I'd say that pretty much nails it.

westofyou
09-19-2008, 10:09 AM
I would say that Prohibition and the advent of the national transportation system had more to do with shaping the beer market more than any distinct American "taste" for beer.

I'd say the heavy beers brought over from the old country used to represent a "food" group, once in America the heavy beer was too heavy, mostly because there was plenty of food, protein etc around and the need for a "food" beer declined.

Thus the man who loved beer needed a beer that was lighter, not as filling, yet able to satisfy the urge for beer.

And that's where we got the Pillsner market, and once it proved popular all the brewers went after it.

Cyclone792
09-19-2008, 10:14 AM
I had this beer the other night:

http://www.alaskanbeer.com/images/AmberSixPackNew.jpg

I must say that I liked it quite a bit and may have to stop at Jungle Jim's to see if they've got it on their shelves.

Sea Ray
09-19-2008, 01:50 PM

Thanks for the classy answer. Luckily, others followed your post with more worthwhile thoughts.

Sea Ray
09-19-2008, 01:51 PM
I had this beer the other night:

http://www.alaskanbeer.com/images/AmberSixPackNew.jpg

I must say that I liked it quite a bit and may have to stop at Jungle Jim's to see if they've got it on their shelves.

Is that an ale?

cincyinco
09-19-2008, 04:02 PM
It is an amber ale, yes.

I have been enjoying longboard island lager from the kona brewing company.

Roy Tucker
09-19-2008, 04:22 PM
There was a "pub crawl" at our local Whole Foods a couple weeks ago.

The sponsor was Bell’s Brewing Company. They paired up 5 samples of beer (porter, a couple ales, stout, amd something fruity) with 5 foods. Overall, their beer was very good.

I very much recommend the Two Hearted Ale.

Yachtzee
09-19-2008, 04:40 PM
I'd say the heavy beers brought over from the old country used to represent a "food" group, once in America the heavy beer was too heavy, mostly because there was plenty of food, protein etc around and the need for a "food" beer declined.

Thus the man who loved beer needed a beer that was lighter, not as filling, yet able to satisfy the urge for beer.

And that's where we got the Pillsner market, and once it proved popular all the brewers went after it.

I've heard similar arguments over the years and I don't know if I really buy it. I haven't seen it supported by historical research. Pilsners have been around a long time and were popular in Central Europe, coming over with the rise in immigration from that region in the latter part of the 1800s. However, European pilsners are hoppier than your standard American lager. In fact, I would hazard a guess that American beers of that era were probably hoppier and maltier too. I think the American lager as exemplified by Budweiser, Miller, and Coors has evolved over time as the major brewers have gradually moved toward a lighter, less flavorful beer because it saves a lot of money in ingredients. Hops and malt are expensive, so using less hops and substituting rice and corn for barley malt is a cost effective alternative. Of course, once you make that decision, it only makes sense to use your massive marketing department to sell the public on lighter tasting beers.

That being said, I don't think there's anything wrong with liking those styles of beer. I will drink a High Life or a Bud on occasion and I think in certain circumstances, those beers are preferable. I just don't think the success of those beers necessarily indicates a long-held American "taste" for those beers as much as it does the success of mass production and mass marketing. It's also not meant to demean anyone who likes those beers. There are plenty of folks in Europe who like to mix their beer with Fanta.

Mark T
09-19-2008, 06:02 PM
Ever heard of the Alaska Brewing Company? They make a great IPA - it's made in Juneau and is gaining wider distribution all the time. (There are no roads into Juneau, so it all comes out of there by boat.)

SunDeck
09-19-2008, 06:04 PM
According to Maureen Ogle (Ambitious Brew : The Story of American Beer) Bud starting using rice mash because the american six row barley didn't produce the same clear, light beer that the european two barley did. Yet, they wanted to reproduce the bohemian style of beer and needed an alternative to importing the european barley, which there wasn't enough of anyway.

vaticanplum
09-19-2008, 08:51 PM
Tonight I was introduced to this beer:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/117/295563687_b744f41e7a.jpg?v=0

I liked it a lot, a lot. It's a Dogfish beer and the dogfishes and I generally get along pretty well, but this is some kind of a beer. It tasted very grapey and yet somehow avoided being sweet. And it's nine percent alcohol which gives it a little punch. I had four, so I am feeling a little punchy myself.

I also tried Wittkerkle, a wheat beer from Belgium. This gets a thumbs down from the vaticanplum household. I'm not usually a fan of wheat beers anyway, and this reminded me why. Maybe it's a result of it following the very flavorful Midas Touch beer, but it didn't seem to have any taste at all.

Falls City Beer
09-19-2008, 08:53 PM
I'm drinking something cheap right now, but it's goooood.

Redhook
09-19-2008, 09:34 PM
Tonight I was introduced to this beer:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/117/295563687_b744f41e7a.jpg?v=0
And it's nine percent alcohol which gives it a little punch. I had four, so I am feeling a little punchy myself.

:eek:. 9%, good night! That's some serious beer right there. I'd like to try it.

Currently, I'm drinking Sam Adams again, my go-to beer. Very good stuff.

I'm looking forward to having a few more Octoberfest's in the near future. I've only had Sam's this year so far.

SunDeck
10-03-2008, 05:49 PM
Just tried Bud American Ale.
It's got a nice, hoppy initial taste, but it does not have a distinctive finish. Certainly that is on purpose; it's not a very bold beer, but I didn't expect them to throw something too creative out there. In fact, a distributor I know said they were initially heading towards a pale ale, but settled on a milder brew.
On the other hand, it has a very well balanced taste and I won't hesitate to pick up a twelve now and then as long as they keep the price down.

redhawk61
10-03-2008, 07:31 PM
A black and tan for me, 1/2 Guinness, 1/2 Blue Moon, delicious....:thumbup:

Redhook
10-03-2008, 09:01 PM
Just tried Bud American Ale.
It's got a nice, hoppy initial taste, but it does not have a distinctive finish. Certainly that is on purpose; it's not a very bold beer, but I didn't expect them to throw something too creative out there. In fact, a distributor I know said they were initially heading towards a pale ale, but settled on a milder brew.
On the other hand, it has a very well balanced taste and I won't hesitate to pick up a twelve now and then as long as they keep the price down.

I had some of that the other day at the Spring House. Unfortunately, I led off with some OTR so the Bud Ale tasted like garbagio. But, I'm willing to give it another try when my palet is clean of quality beer.

I did have some Goose Island Harvest Ale the other day. Another solid beer. It was suprisingly very, very good.

Brutus_the_Red
10-04-2008, 06:34 AM
I did have some Goose Island Harvest Ale the other day. Another solid beer. It was suprisingly very, very good.

I work at a new bar in the Oregon District in Dayton, and my favorite beer there is the Goose Island 312 we have on tap. I've been on a big kick of trying all the Goose Island brews. I'll have to try to track down the Harvest Ale.

We've also got Guiness, Mt. Carmel's Nut Brown, Bell's Oberon, Great Lakes Oktoberfest, and Magic Hat #9 on tap.

And they a wide assortment of craft brews. Working at this place is expanding my horizons, I tell you.

SunDeck
10-04-2008, 09:05 AM
I had some of that the other day at the Spring House. Unfortunately, I led off with some OTR so the Bud Ale tasted like garbagio.

That OTR's some good beer. A couple of interesting notes about Bud Am Ale:

1) Pop top, not a screw top- a clear nod to beer snobs who think somehow a screw top is inferior, which it is absolutely not.

2) I read a review of it that said Bud was trying to produce a flavorful ale that would also be a drinking, rather than a sipping beer. That makes sense to me and I'd have to say, it is a beer that I could drink a few of in a sitting.

paintmered
10-04-2008, 12:17 PM
I work at a new bar in the Oregon District in Dayton, and my favorite beer there is the Goose Island 312 we have on tap. I've been on a big kick of trying all the Goose Island brews. I'll have to try to track down the Harvest Ale.

We've also got Guiness, Mt. Carmel's Nut Brown, Bell's Oberon, Great Lakes Oktoberfest, and Magic Hat #9 on tap.

And they a wide assortment of craft brews. Working at this place is expanding my horizons, I tell you.

What's the new bar in the Oregon District? I may have to pay a visit...

westofyou
10-04-2008, 04:50 PM
What's the Oregon district? Does it rain there all the time? Are there naked people riding bikes?

deltachi8
10-04-2008, 06:24 PM
Kona Pipeline Porter - Made with Kona Coffee.

http://www.konabrewingco.com/beers/pipeline

Tried this stuff just out as it sounded weird and similar to the mythical Buzz Beer of Drew Carey Show fame.

Very pleasantly surprised...quite tasty and smooth. Went back and bought a case of it.

Brutus_the_Red
10-06-2008, 12:44 AM
What's the new bar in the Oregon District? I may have to pay a visit...

Blind Bob's, formerly of the Nite Owl shame. We spent all summer remodeling it. Beer is great, but honestly, I think the food is better. Come down and check us out.

p.s.: try the pickle soup. it's amazing.

Cyclone792
10-06-2008, 07:46 AM
That OTR's some good beer. A couple of interesting notes about Bud Am Ale:

1) Pop top, not a screw top- a clear nod to beer snobs who think somehow a screw top is inferior, which it is absolutely not.

2) I read a review of it that said Bud was trying to produce a flavorful ale that would also be a drinking, rather than a sipping beer. That makes sense to me and I'd have to say, it is a beer that I could drink a few of in a sitting.

I tried the Bud Ale for the first time this weekend, and it's not a bad beer at all. It'll be curious to see how well it catches on to the mainstream beer drinking public (i.e. "Bud Light" drinkers) and whether or not this brew works as a sort of gateway beer for some people.

On the flip side, I also wonder how much AB is trying to go after the craft beer market and reclaim some market share from brewers such as Sam Adams. Craft beers such as SA are gradually gaining popularity, and they're now much more plentiful than they were even four or five years ago.

Highlifeman21
10-06-2008, 10:01 AM
I tried the Bud Ale for the first time this weekend, and it's not a bad beer at all. It'll be curious to see how well it catches on to the mainstream beer drinking public (i.e. "Bud Light" drinkers) and whether or not this brew works as a sort of gateway beer for some people.

On the flip side, I also wonder how much AB is trying to go after the craft beer market and reclaim some market share from brewers such as Sam Adams. Craft beers such as SA are gradually gaining popularity, and they're now much more plentiful than they were even four or five years ago.

The problem with craft beer is that it's still such a niche market.

Take a peek at this... http://www.stealingshare.com/content/1148399654031.htm

Glance down at the bottom 2 pictures of the brand market spectrums (micro vs mass & everyday vs special)

It's no secret that until micro brews attempt to break from the special and into the everyday, they'll remain in the micro niche market.

It's not that they're bad beers, it's just that they're different and honestly not for everybody.

This thread is a great example of different beer tastes for different folks.

Unfortunately, the light beer market appeals to the masses, so those beers dominate the market.

As for AB trying to go after the craft market, they don't need to. They dominate the mass market and they're doing just fine. Consider the fact that microbrewing is a more cost-intensive procedure, and Miller and AB will want nothing to do with that market. Both of them are content with Sam Adams market share, b/c Sam Adams can't break their cash cow, which is their light beers.

Sure, all companies want to dominate every market, and want to have the most share in every market, but for some brewers it's just not good business. They need to stick with what they know.

westofyou
10-06-2008, 10:06 AM
The problem with craft beer is that it's still such a niche market.

Not in Portland, it is THE market http://www.portlandbeer.org/

You also won’t lack for variety when it comes to beer in Portland, long recognized as America’s craft-brewing mecca. Pure water from the Cascade Mountains, tall barley and bitter hops all set the stage for a beer-lover’s region.

Highlifeman21
10-06-2008, 10:16 AM
Not in Portland, it is THE market http://www.portlandbeer.org/

Nationwide, craft beers are a niche market, but you're right, regionally craft beers can be THE market.

I'd love to see it be more than a regional thing, but IMO the US beer market is at least 2 decades away from that.

goreds2
10-07-2008, 12:14 AM
From Monday's Enquirer, re: Bengals pre-game:
http://cmsimg.enquirer.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?NewTbl=1&Site=AB&Date=20051211&Category=SPT02&ArtNo=512110802&Ref=PH&Profile=1066&Item=9&MaxW=600&title=1

:all_cohol

When the Bengals played at River Front Stadium and security was not as tight, a friend of mine used to bring a hollow/stripped out 1980's boombox full of beers into the game.

Stephenk29
10-08-2008, 08:29 PM
Blind Bob's, formerly of the Nite Owl shame. We spent all summer remodeling it. Beer is great, but honestly, I think the food is better. Come down and check us out.

p.s.: try the pickle soup. it's amazing.

now this is my kind of place. Wish I was closer to Dayton though.

bucksfan2
10-09-2008, 08:34 AM
I had a beer in Hawaii that I had never heard of before. It was Stein Lager, an New Zealand beer. It was a good light beer. I drank it for a week and a half because I thought I may never have a chance to drink it again.

westofyou
10-09-2008, 09:52 AM
I had a beer in Hawaii that I had never heard of before. It was Stein Lager, an New Zealand beer. It was a good light beer. I drank it for a week and a half because I thought I may never have a chance to drink it again.

That's a regularly available beer on the west coast, bottled that is.

Mario-Rijo
10-09-2008, 10:50 AM
What's the Oregon district? Does it rain there all the time? Are there naked people riding bikes?

It's a historic district in Dayton made up of really cool night clubs, restaurants, art, architecture it's a really festive atmosphere...mostly anyways.

Here's a better explanation of the area.

http://www.oregondistrict.org/

cincyinco
10-10-2008, 02:45 AM
I second the kona brewing company's pipeline porter made with hawaiian kona coffee. I've enjoyed the rest of the company's offerings to date, and this is one I had not tried unitil tonight but I absolutely love it.

I've also had the bud American ale, and the first thing that came to find after my first taste was "fat tire when it hits the palette, finishes with less body.". A solid attempt, but personally I would look at other ales next time.

jmcclain19
10-11-2008, 05:01 PM
Ever heard of the Alaska Brewing Company? They make a great IPA - it's made in Juneau and is gaining wider distribution all the time. (There are no roads into Juneau, so it all comes out of there by boat.)

Alaskan Amber is a common beer around here at some better bars. I rarely pass up an opportunity to enjoy one.

And let me chime in also on the wonders of Kona Beer.

I had the Longboard in Maui a couple of years ago and loved it. And I saw that the local beer superstore now carries all of the Kona line - so that's a huge bonus.

I had a Michelob ultra the other day at the ballpark, and it was actually better than I was expecting. Always nice when you are surprised in a good way.

BoydsOfSummer
10-11-2008, 05:25 PM
I had 3 Budweiser's last night. Drinking better beer has totally ruined my palette for it and others like it. I have had enough Bud in my younger days to float a battle ship around--as Lynyrd Skynyrd said--but these days I can hardly get one down.

Yachtzee
10-11-2008, 08:42 PM
I had 3 Budweiser's last night. Drinking better beer has totally ruined my palette for it and others like it. I have had enough Bud in my younger days to float a battle ship around--as Lynyrd Skynyrd said--but these days I can hardly get one down.

That's a problem I have, particularly when its Bud on draft. But I think it has more to do with my own flavor preferences. Of course A-B can make some incredible beers too. They had an in-house competition among the brewers at their breweries to come up with their own recipes. My friend and his co-worker came up with a beer called "Burning Helles." It was a great beer with a higher alcohol content than most beers, so you definitely had to slow down after two beers. The key was that it had a great taste. The beer actually won the contest for the State of Ohio and A-B released it on draft at select locations across the state. Unfortunately, they were unwilling to release it to a wider audience. Instead of trying to make a mellower version of a pale ale and calling it "American Ale," I'd like to see Budweiser do more of those type of contests, giving their brewers a chance to come up with some new, interesting beers.

Brutus_the_Red
10-12-2008, 02:43 PM
The bar just got a new draft this past week.

Southern Tier IPA. It's very strong as far as IPA's go, as it should be at 11%. It's $7.00 for a 16oz draft, but we sold a whole lot of it. I'm not a huge fan of IPA's, but this one wasn't half bad.

Anyone else had it before?

cincyinco
10-12-2008, 04:45 PM
Tommy Knocker - Imperial Nut Brown Ale

Strong stuff

Spitball
10-12-2008, 05:38 PM
My town just opened an Old Chicago Pizza which features over 100 different kinds of beer.

http://www.oldchicago.com/BeerTour.php

I joined their World Beer Tour and will get things like a hat, shirt, and maybe a liver transplant after trying certain number of beers.

I've been a couple of times but can't remember all the beers I've tried. Beer can do that to you. I remember trying Smithwick's Irish Ale, Guinness Stout, Sam Adams Cream Stout, a couple of India Pale Ales, and a few others. I believe I can log onto their site and they will e-mail my list.

Spitball
10-21-2008, 11:24 PM
A black and tan for me, 1/2 Guinness, 1/2 Blue Moon, delicious....:thumbup:

Actually, a half Guinness and half Blue Moon is an Eclipse. A Black and Tan is half Guinness and half Bass Ale. A Black and Tan is a favorite.

10-22-2008, 08:27 AM
Actually, a half Guinness and half Blue Moon is an Eclipse. A Black and Tan is half Guinness and half Bass Ale. A Black and Tan is a favorite.

My favorite pub asks when you order a B&T if you want Bass or Harp.

Yachtzee
10-22-2008, 10:56 PM
My favorite pub asks when you order a B&T if you want Bass or Harp.

It's either or I believe. From what I've heard, a B&T with 1/2 Guinness, 1/2 Bass is more common, but in Ireland a B&T is usually with 1/2 Guinness, 1/2 Harp or Smithwick's, which seems reasonable since Harp and Smithwick's are both Guinness products and many pubs overseas are "tied taverns," which means they serve beers produced by only a few breweries. Finding a pub that has both Guinness and Bass may be more difficult as they are produced by different breweries. However, in the US Guinness and Bass are readily available at many bars. It is actually Harp and Smithwick's that have been more difficult to find until the past decade.

I've also heard some bars will call a Guinness and Bass a B&T and a Guinness and Harp a Half and Half, or vice versa.

Spitball
10-22-2008, 11:22 PM
I'm familiar with the Harp and Guinness as a Half and Half. There are several 1/2 Guinness combinations with various names depending on the location and drinker.

bucksfan2
10-23-2008, 08:30 AM
Ive started to drink MGD 64. Its not awful but its not great. If I am going to drink more than a few I will drink that to save on the calories.

westofyou
10-23-2008, 10:13 AM
Ive started to drink MGD 64. Its not awful but its not great. If I am going to drink more than a few I will drink that to save on the calories.

Calories are better saved in any other aspect of your eating habits then beer.

If you are under 30 and trying to save calories by drinking uber light beer then I'd say that you could probably target other aspects of your diet and lose the calories and still enjoy real beer.

15fan
10-23-2008, 10:33 AM

Word.

SunDeck
10-23-2008, 01:59 PM

If you are under 30 and trying to save calories by drinking uber light beer then I'd say that you could probably target other aspects of your diet and lose the calories and still enjoy real beer.

Tofu and Märzen somehow just doesn't seem right, man.

bucksfan2
10-23-2008, 02:08 PM

Im a light beer fan, most of the time I drink Miller Lite, Amstel, and occasionally Heineken. So I enjoy light beers so the MGD 64 isn't that bad.

BoydsOfSummer
10-23-2008, 06:34 PM
Sammy Light is as light as I go. Well, that and the odd Budweiser or Miller "Regular" beers. Those beers seem light to me these days. A miller Lite is like drinking that 3.2 beer back in the early days.

westofyou
10-23-2008, 07:30 PM
Sammy Light is as light as I go. Well, that and the odd Budweiser or Miller "Regular" beers. Those beers seem light to me these days. A miller Lite is like drinking that 3.2 beer back in the early days.

Light for me will be a lager like Full Sails "Sessions" or a Summerfest from Sierra Nevada, but that's just in the heat of summer for yard work days.

I lost my taste for lagers pretty much, the aftertaste of the traditional american lager is what keeps me away, plus they tend to be more carbonated than the beers that please me.

Ravenlord
10-23-2008, 10:59 PM

try rum. the whole bottle is about 60 calories.

deltachi8
10-23-2008, 11:33 PM
Different strokes for different folks. Drink what you like.

I tried St Arnold's Christmas Ale today....not bad at all. Somewhat hoppy and sweet though not too much...7% ALC to boot.

http://www.saintarnold.com/beers/images/labels_120/christmas.gif

BRM
10-24-2008, 09:15 AM
try rum. the whole bottle is about 60 calories.

Only the light rums, right?

goreds2
11-02-2008, 09:47 PM
I am starting to like Natural Light when wanting to go the cheap route.

BRM
11-03-2008, 09:36 AM

It's WMR's favorite.

deltachi8
11-03-2008, 10:42 AM
It's WMR's favorite.

and Larry Eustachy...

http://sportsmed.starwave.com/media/ncb/2003/0429/photo/eustachy4_i.jpg

BRM
11-03-2008, 10:50 AM
Mickey Mantle was a fan of Natty Light as well. Well, he got paid to say that he liked it at least.

jimbo
11-03-2008, 02:21 PM

For those of you who want to go even cheaper and live near Lexington, find one of the Liquor Barn's in town (I think there are 2, but not sure) and pick up a 12-pack of Rhinelander for $3.99.

I went to the Liquor Barn for the first time last year before tailgating at a UK game and was awestruck. For those of us from Ohio, the best thing we have is the beer cave at Speedway. The Liquor Barn is like the Toys-R-Us for all things alcohol related.

Anyways, came across this Rhinelander for $3.99 a twelve and just had to try it. I can drink about any beer but this stuff is downright bad. I guess you get what you pay for.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v303/jimbodude/rhinelander.jpg

goreds2
11-10-2008, 01:41 AM
For those of you who want to go even cheaper and live near Lexington, find one of the Liquor Barn's in town (I think there are 2, but not sure) and pick up a 12-pack of Rhinelander for $3.99.

I went to the Liquor Barn for the first time last year before tailgating at a UK game and was awestruck. For those of us from Ohio, the best thing we have is the beer cave at Speedway. The Liquor Barn is like the Toys-R-Us for all things alcohol related.

Anyways, came across this Rhinelander for $3.99 a twelve and just had to try it. I can drink about any beer but this stuff is downright bad. I guess you get what you pay for.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v303/jimbodude/rhinelander.jpg

In college in the early 80's, we used to get a twelve pack on Knickerbocker beer in bottles for $2.99.

WVRedsFan
11-10-2008, 01:49 AM
I tried Budweiser American Ale for the first time on Election night. Not bad for a Bud product. Not my choice when I'm downing more than two, but pretty good. I don't imagine it will be around long.

I still wish they sold Heilemann's Special Export or National Premium anywhere I could get it. Unfortunately, those days are gone.

WVRedsFan
11-10-2008, 01:53 AM
Mickey Mantle was a fan of Natty Light as well. Well, he got paid to say that he liked it at least.Are you sure? I'm pretty certain that was National Bohemiam he endorsed.

Anyway, if I'm going to drink light beer (which generally I hate), I go with Bud Select. Another light beer I can tolerate is Southpaw. for the ost part, I drink full flavored beers. Calories be damned. Saving 40 calories means nothing unless you'e drinking 8 or more. Remember if you drink 8 beers, you are only saving 400 calories and if your intention is get drunk, you'll get drunker with less full flavored beers.

BillDoran
11-10-2008, 05:37 PM
Best time of the year for beer.

Jubelale by Deschutes and Wassail by Full Sail.

BoydsOfSummer
11-10-2008, 05:58 PM
I tried Budweiser American Ale for the first time on Election night. Not bad for a Bud product. Not my choice when I'm downing more than two, but pretty good. I don't imagine it will be around long.

I still wish they sold Heilemann's Special Export or National Premium anywhere I could get it. Unfortunately, those days are gone.

I tried the Bud Am Ale the other night. I was pleasantly surprised. I had several and I normally can't stomach more than a couple Buds these days. It still has that "drinkability" thing going but not bad if you are going Bud tonight.:beerme:

Spitball
11-10-2008, 06:12 PM
Mickey Mantle was a fan of Natty Light as well. Well, he got paid to say that he liked it at least.

Are you sure? I'm pretty certain that was National Bohemiam he endorsed.

Mickey Mantle endorsed Miller Lite in the early 1970's. He and Whitey Ford engaged in one of the first "tastes great/less filling" commercials.

Boston sports writers turned radio hosts Cliff Keane and Larry Claflin (Cliff and Claf Show on WBZ then WEEI) used to joke that Mantle and Ford were such heavy drinkers that they probably did each commercial live.

11-11-2008, 12:47 AM
I tried the Bud Am Ale the other night. I was pleasantly surprised. I had several and I normally can't stomach more than a couple Buds these days. It still has that "drinkability" thing going but not bad if you are going Bud tonight.:beerme:

The 6 pack (bottles) I bought a while back I liked, but I had one on tap last week and didn't like it at all.

WMR
11-11-2008, 12:56 AM
It's WMR's favorite.

I have it on an IV

BRM
11-12-2008, 11:20 AM
Are you sure? I'm pretty certain that was National Bohemiam he endorsed.

I found a Natural Light comercial with him on youtube.

Mario-Rijo
11-12-2008, 02:30 PM
Does Malt Liquor count if so I'll go with Old English 800, 'cause that's my brand, take it in a bottle, forty, quart or can. :D

Or just give me a Budweiser.

BRM
11-12-2008, 02:32 PM
Does Malt Liquor count if so I'll go with Old English 800, 'cause that's my brand, take it in a bottle, forty, quart or can. :D

That's how I am with any beer. Bottle, can, forty. Doesn't matter to me as long as it's cold.

SunDeck
11-12-2008, 03:54 PM
I totally want to drink with you guys.

BRM
11-12-2008, 04:30 PM
I totally want to drink with you guys.

I'd recommend not drinking with WilyMO. He gets even noisier than usual after 12 Natty Lights.

paintmered
11-12-2008, 04:40 PM
I picked up a 12-pack of Hudy Delight yesterday. It's back from the dead.

BRM
11-12-2008, 05:10 PM
I picked up a 12-pack of Hudy Delight yesterday. It's back from the dead.

Man, I haven't had a Hudepohl in probably 20 years.

SunDeck
11-12-2008, 05:15 PM
There are some bloatarians in Cincinnati who brew what they insist is the old Hudepohl recipe. They say it's the original lager. I've had it- it's a heckuva beer. And I must say I have a fondness for 14-K, which was on tap, free for the taking from my grandfather's refrigerator door. I pulled many a Hudy from that tap. It was a bright, clear crisp brew.

BRM
11-12-2008, 05:18 PM
There are some bloatarians in Cincinnati who brew what they insist is the old Hudepohl recipe. They say it's the original lager. I've had it- it's a heckuva beer. And I must say I have a fondness for 14-K, which was on tap, free for the taking from my grandfather's refrigerator door. I pulled many a Hudy from that tap. It was a bright, clear crisp brew.

Free Hudy? I'd have been all over that.

BoydsOfSummer
11-12-2008, 06:21 PM
"Coooooollldd Huuuuuddddyy heah!"

That still echo's from my childhood at Riverfront.

SunDeck
11-17-2008, 08:45 PM
Free Hudy? I'd have been all over that.

I did, my friend.
I did indeed.

BRM
11-18-2008, 09:46 AM
In honor of my good pal, WilyMoRocks, I had a couple of Natty Lights last night. Cheap but effective.

westofyou
11-18-2008, 10:02 AM
"Coooooollldd Huuuuuddddyy heah!"

That still echo's from my childhood at Riverfront.

Yeah... this one too

Huuuuuudeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeepolh

get yer

Huuuuuudeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeepolh

heah

Yachtzee
11-18-2008, 01:09 PM
Yeah... this one too

Huuuuuudeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeepolh

get yer

Huuuuuudeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeepolh

heah

Get Moody With Hudy!

11-18-2008, 02:41 PM
I just picked up a 6pack of these for 4 bucks at Kroger. Pretty nice mark down.

http://images.businessweek.com/ss/06/05/miller_products/image/pilsner.jpg

jimbo
11-18-2008, 03:32 PM
A buddy of mine is bringing a case of this back for me from Tennessee. My favorite moderately priced American lager......too bad we can't get it here in Ohio.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v303/jimbodude/medium_yuengling.jpg

15fan
11-18-2008, 03:39 PM
A buddy of mine is bringing a case of this back for me from Tennessee. My favorite moderately priced American lager......too bad we can't get it here in Ohio.

Don't give up hope. A few weeks ago, it finally showed up on store shelves in Georgia.

jimbo
11-18-2008, 04:02 PM
Don't give up hope. A few weeks ago, it finally showed up on store shelves in Georgia.

I had heard that. Still can't understand why they can't ship it to their neighboring state.

BRM
11-18-2008, 04:08 PM
A buddy of mine sent me this article the other day. It's from this past July. Here's the link (http://louisville.bizjournals.com/louisville/stories/2008/07/28/daily17.html?q=Louisville%20area%20beer%20consumpt ion).

Beer’s lead over wine and spirits has returned to double digits for the first time since 2002, particularly among adults between the ages of 30 and 49 who tried wine for a few years then switched back to beer, according to a new Gallup poll.

The survey is good news for area brewers such as Bluegrass Brewing Co. but not-so-good news for one of the Louisville area’s largest public companies, spirits and wine-maker Brown-Forman Corp. (NYSE: BFB)

The annual Consumption Habits poll shows that in combined data from Gallup’s 2004 and 2005 surveys, drinkers between 30 and 49 were about as likely to prefer wine as beer.

Now, drinkers in this age bracket have shifted back to beer, with an average of 47 percent in the combined 2007-08 data, saying they most often drink beer. Drinking preferences among adults ages 21 to 29 have remained stable in recent years, with the majority showing a wide preference for beer.

“This poll shows what we’ve always known — that trends will come and go, but beer is here to stay,” Bob Lachky, executive vice president for global industry and creative development for Anheuser-Busch, said in a statement.

Beer continues to represent the largest segment in the alcohol beverage category in volume and dollar sales, accounting for 56 percent of all alcohol beverage servings.

St. Louis-based Anheuser-Busch Cos. Inc. (NYSE: BUD), through its Anheuser-Busch Inc. subsidiary, is the leading domestic brewer, holding a 48.5 percent share of U.S. beer sales. The company, which accepted a $52 billion takeover offer from Belgian InBev, brews the world’s largest-selling beers, Budweiser and Bud Light.

deltachi8
11-18-2008, 07:33 PM
I had heard that. Still can't understand why they can't ship it to their neighboring state.

Different states have different laws. I asked for my favorite brand (Saranac) at my local mega liquor store and they beer buyer was quite aware of it and then informed me it was illegal for him to sell it in Texas until the state liquor authority approved it's sale.

Texas has laws on beer sales that are bought and paid for (allegedly) by the large brewers (AB, Miller-Coors, etc) and huge distributors. It is a reason why so very few microbreweries exist here.

Highlifeman21
11-18-2008, 08:00 PM

I'd rather drink Natural Ice than Yuengling...

I mistakenly asked for a "lager" when I was living in Philly, and that's what they gave me.

I'm not sure what panther piss tastes like, but if I had to guess I would say it tastes like Yuengling.

... apparently in PA, when you ask for a "lager", you're really asking for a Yuengling...

Cyclone792
11-18-2008, 08:57 PM

I mistakenly asked for a "lager" when I was living in Philly, and that's what they gave me.

I'm not sure what panther piss tastes like, but if I had to guess I would say it tastes like Yuengling.

... apparently in PA, when you ask for a "lager", you're really asking for a Yuengling...

There's no way I could live in PA. Buy beer in a grocery store? Nope. Buy beer at a gas station? Nope. A beer distributor? I mean seriously?

I guess I just like my Jungle Jim's too much.

Spitball
11-18-2008, 09:14 PM
Get Moody With Hudy!

Ah! I remember a beer vendor at Crosley Field bellowing that phrase. Actually, I believe he'd alternate it with, "All the way with 14K!"

Highlifeman21
11-18-2008, 09:31 PM
There's no way I could live in PA. Buy beer in a grocery store? Nope. Buy beer at a gas station? Nope. A beer distributor? I mean seriously?

I guess I just like my Jungle Jim's too much.

They've made some changes...

You can buy beer from a bar in 6 packs, but it is ridiculously expensive.

But, if you go to the beer distributor, you have to buy it in case minimums (some you can mix and match sixers, but most you're gettin' 24 of your favorite brew of the moment).

Some pizza joints also sell 6 packs, but again, the price is ridiculous.

jimbo
11-18-2008, 11:19 PM

Different strokes for different folks.

Actually, I just got my case and was going to save it for the weekend, but after reading your post I'm going to go crack one open right now. Here's to some great "panther piss!" :beerme:

RawOwl UK
11-19-2008, 02:19 AM
They've made some changes...

You can buy beer from a bar in 6 packs, but it is ridiculously expensive.

But, if you go to the beer distributor, you have to buy it in case minimums (some you can mix and match sixers, but most you're gettin' 24 of your favorite brew of the moment).

Some pizza joints also sell 6 packs, but again, the price is ridiculous.

Whats PA ?

Why does it sound so difficult to buy beer there ? :eek:

Highlifeman21
11-19-2008, 07:14 AM
Whats PA ?

Why does it sound so difficult to buy beer there ? :eek:

Pennsylvania

The wonderful Commonwealth of Pennsylvania

I think it's Blue Laws run amok.

BRM
11-19-2008, 11:15 AM
I tried a Yuengling when I was in Florida awhile back. It's alright.

SunDeck
11-19-2008, 07:14 PM
Pennsylvania

The wonderful Commonwealth of Pennsylvania

I think it's Blue Laws run amok.

In Indiana you can't buy beer on Sundays and you can't take a kid into a bar. And grocery stores cannot sell cold beer. That one, I cannot figure out for the life of me.
Having grown up in Cincinnati, where there are beer taps in the cafeterias of Catholic churches, I am still having trouble adjusting.

vaticanplum
11-20-2008, 07:04 PM
In Indiana you can't buy beer on Sundays and you can't take a kid into a bar. And grocery stores cannot sell cold beer. That one, I cannot figure out for the life of me.
Having grown up in Cincinnati, where there are beer taps in the cafeterias of Catholic churches, I am still having trouble adjusting.

:laugh:

Redhook
11-20-2008, 08:31 PM
I tried a Yuengling when I was in Florida awhile back. It's alright.

I agree.

Yuengling, imo, is a "tweener" beer. It's a decept option when choosing against light beers, but it doesn't pack the punch of most non-light beers. There's just something lacking in it to make it a great beer.

BRM
11-21-2008, 02:53 PM
It's Friday. Any beer drinking plans tonight?

SunDeck
11-21-2008, 04:01 PM
It's Friday. Any beer drinking plans tonight?

Um, am I only allowed to drink on Fridays now?
Somehow that memo passed me by, BRM.

westofyou
11-21-2008, 04:23 PM

I didn't drink any beer last night, tonight I shall make up for that mistake.

BRM
11-21-2008, 04:27 PM

Didn't mean it that way at all. Just asking if anyone had any particular plans for tonight.

As for my plan, the wife is going to a movie with a friend so I plan to have one or 12.

SunDeck
11-21-2008, 04:50 PM
Didn't mean it that way at all. Just asking if anyone had any particular plans for tonight.

As for my plan, the wife is going to a movie with a friend so I plan to have one or 12.

Thank goodness. My wife usually does the ladies' night out thing on Thursdays. That's my typical one or twelve night.

Yachtzee
11-21-2008, 05:46 PM
I might have a "Barrister's ESB" (the beer I made at the Brew-Your-Own establishment). It's good stuff.

SunDeck
11-21-2008, 05:55 PM
(the beer I made at the Brew-Your-Own establishment).

What is that, like Build-a-Bear for adults, except useful?

Highlifeman21
11-21-2008, 06:37 PM

:thumbup:

Yachtzee
11-21-2008, 10:33 PM

And far more delicious! Brew it, bottle it, design your own label. And feel free to enjoy some of it while you bottle it.

BRM
11-22-2008, 10:55 AM
Thank goodness. My wife usually does the ladies' night out thing on Thursdays. That's my typical one or twelve night.

I don't have a somewhat set one or twelve night unfortunately. I just take advantage whenever I can.

SunDeck
11-22-2008, 05:06 PM
My wife is hosting an open house at our house tomorrow and picked up a case of Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale.
That's some nice beer, right there.

Yachtzee
11-22-2008, 05:59 PM
My wife is hosting an open house at our house tomorrow and picked up a case of Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale.

And a nice wife to choose such a nice beer. My wife drinks Bud Light. Period.

westofyou
11-22-2008, 06:23 PM

My favorite Christmas offering, awesome on tap it is.

Spitball
11-22-2008, 09:54 PM
I have not tried the Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale but I like Sierra Nevada India Pale Ale.

Tonight my wife and I tried an interesting and delicious beer at the suggestion of our pastor. It was Xingu Brazilian Black Beer, and it was very good.

http://www.amazonbeer.com/3wmnsch.html

Also, we tried a Leinenkugel Fireside Nut Brown. It was also good. It was kind of hazelnutty.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/710/44283/?ba=allengarvin

SunDeck
11-22-2008, 10:16 PM
I have not tried the Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale but I like Sierra Nevada India Pale Ale.

Tonight my wife and I tried an interesting and delicious beer at the suggestion of our pastor. It was Xingu Brazilian Black Beer, and it was very good.

http://www.amazonbeer.com/3wmnsch.html

Also, we tried a Leinenkugel Fireside Nut Brown. It was also good. It was kind of hazelnutty.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/710/44283/?ba=allengarvin

That's my kinda pastor.

BRM
11-23-2008, 01:31 PM
I've never had any Sierra Nevada. I need to give it a shot one of these days.

Spitball
11-23-2008, 01:35 PM
That's my kinda pastor.

He is cool about beer. He even hosts a beer drinking interest group once a month, and we all bring different kinds of beer to try. He's pretty confident there will be beer in Heaven.

westofyou
11-23-2008, 02:34 PM
I've never had any Sierra Nevada. I need to give it a shot one of these days.

They call it Chico Budweiser out here, it's the go-to craft beer at most parties.

As Sundeck's wife knows.

BRM
11-24-2008, 09:21 AM
They call it Chico Budweiser out here, it's the go-to craft beer at most parties.

As Sundeck's wife knows.

I assume it costs more than Bud though, and Bud costs $21 a case out here. It's getting ridiculous.

I'll check it out this week. I need to restock the beer fridge anyway.

cincyinco
11-24-2008, 08:17 PM
Blue moon's seasonal, Full Moon.

Also Sam Adams winter lagar.

And more paulaner oktoberfest.

12-23-2008, 01:58 AM
I'm gonna buy a 12 pack of this to give to my wife to give to me for Christmas. She's such a sweetheart.:)

http://www.chow.com/assets/2007/12/sierra_inline.jpg

I've already bought this to give her to give to me on Christmas.

http://www.sevenpack.net/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/cimg3797.jpg

goreds2
12-23-2008, 05:29 AM
I love it that this thread NEVER dies. :)

I have posted on this thread and have nothing else to say but :beerme:

SunDeck
12-23-2008, 06:38 AM
http://www.leeners.com/pictures/bottlebeer.jpg

The latest at the Sundeck brewery.
A nice English Pale Ale just ready for the holiday season, brewed with Kent Golding and Glacier hops.

OldRightHander
12-23-2008, 06:57 AM
He is cool about beer. He even hosts a beer drinking interest group once a month, and we all bring different kinds of beer to try. He's pretty confident there will be beer in Heaven.

Well, Jesus didn't turn water into iced tea.

OldRightHander
12-23-2008, 06:59 AM
Are there any others around here besides me who don't really care for drinking beer but cook with it regularly? I'm probably in the minority in that regard.

westofyou
12-23-2008, 09:42 AM
I'm gonna buy a 12 pack of this to give to my wife to give to me for Christmas. She's such a sweetheart.:)

http://www.chow.com/assets/2007/12/sierra_inline.jpg

Bought some of that last night, it's a little tamer than it has been in the past, but I love it that way as well... some of the local brewers get too big with their Christmas beers, going to 8.3% and sliding every spice/hop into the beer as a special mixture... two pints of it and you're history... unless you drag them out.

Roy Tucker
12-23-2008, 11:55 AM
Are there any others around here besides me who don't really care for drinking beer but cook with it regularly? I'm probably in the minority in that regard.

About the only think I use beer to cook with is chili. Gives it good body.

However, I have been known to consume more than one beer while cooking. Grilled out a marinated London Broil on Sunday night in sub-zero wind chill. My beer got pretty slushy.

Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale is on today's shopping list.

BoydsOfSummer
12-23-2008, 02:33 PM
About the only think I use beer to cook with is chili. Gives it good body.

However, I have been known to consume more than one beer while cooking. Grilled out a marinated London Broil on Sunday night in sub-zero wind chill. My beer got pretty slushy.

Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale is on today's shopping list.

A man, his beer, and his grill...that's beautiful man.

Stephenk29
12-23-2008, 09:07 PM
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x164/Stephenk29/ShockTopBottle.jpg

tasty

Highlifeman21
12-23-2008, 10:13 PM
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x164/Stephenk29/ShockTopBottle.jpg

tasty

Much better as a draught than from the bottle.

Spitball
12-24-2008, 12:26 AM

I'm the extreme opposite. I love to drink it, but hate it when my wife uses it in a recipe. Of course, we live in a dry county and my beers require a cross county line drive. Actually, we are a "moist" county because we do have several bars but beer for home use requires a fifty minute round trip drive.

Unassisted
12-24-2008, 07:47 PM
It's a little bit out of season at this time of year, but this is my current favorite among the local brands.

http://www.itaggit.com/Thumbnails/13048/Images/75036_large.jpg

Stephenk29
12-24-2008, 11:24 PM
hefeweizen = greatest flavor ever. Hands down.

TRF
12-24-2008, 11:33 PM
It's a little bit out of season at this time of year, but this is my current favorite among the local brands.

http://www.itaggit.com/Thumbnails/13048/Images/75036_large.jpg

Brewed here in Texas right?

deltachi8
12-24-2008, 11:53 PM
Brewed here in Texas right?

Yep. They make a nice batch of beer in Shiner.

Also have grown to like St Arnold's which is brewed in houston. Just picked up some Winter Stout which is quite nice.

CarolinaRedleg
12-25-2008, 01:26 PM
I brew my own from time to time (working on an Irish Stout right now).

But I'd have to say my favorite beer is, well, cold. :D

All kidding aside, Peroni. Was in Italy for two weeks when I was in college and discovered it.

12-26-2008, 12:23 AM
I just started on one of the Sam Adams Imperial Pilsners. Pretty good and pretty hoppy. I doubt I'll drink more than one an evening.

Hoppier than a frog on meth and a Snickers Bar.

WebScorpion
12-29-2008, 04:47 PM
Much better as a draught than from the bottle. I agree with this. Shock Top is brewed by the same company that now owns Anheuser-Busch you know. and Beck's, and Bass, and Michelob, and Loewenbrau, and Stella Artois, and Rolling Rock, and Red Hook, and Widmer Bros, and Kirin, and Hoegaarden, ...

westofyou
01-17-2009, 03:28 PM
http://www.oregonlive.com/dining/index.ssf/2009/01/beervana_john_foyston_goes_in.html

Good article on Portland beer. Bolded is my local and Pedro's

When it comes to brewpubs, we Portlanders are spoiled for choice, as the Brits say. With two dozen to choose among, we can find the perfect pint for any mood.

Beervana, as Portland's known, has more breweries and brewpubs than any city on the planet, and that means never being more than a mile from the freshest beer imaginable -- beer that traveled no more than a few yards from the fermenter to the serving tank to your pint glass. It means patronizing places where the brewers are a creative force, not just rubber-booted employees; where they can free themselves from production brewing to whomp up truly special beers, which patrons promptly drink up, allowing the brewers to exercise their creativity yet again.

But so many options can induce pub paralysis. That can keep us mired in choices dictated by habit and convenience; can keep us from seeking out the perfect pint for the occasion. Which is just wrong. If we were in Phoenix, say, we might have to make do. But not in Beervana.

For instance, when I'm hankering for a quiet pint and a good book on a Saturday afternoon, I don't go someplace that's likely knee-deep in ankle-biters (though that same pub is perfect for parents who want to meet friends without the hassle of lining up baby sitters). I'll choose a different place on a sunny day than I will during a snowstorm, and if the folks are in town and ready to buy dinner, I'll take them someplace where the menu is bigger than a few sandwiches on a chalkboard.

So, this is a personal guide to Portland's brewpubs based on a couple of decades of assiduous research.

If your favorite isn't here, consider the ground rules required by our pubby profusion: Only brewpubs are considered, though I do mention some non-brewpubs. According to the Brewers Association, a brewpub is a restaurant-brewery that sells 25 percent or more of its beer on site and brews primarily for the restaurant and bar.

So Widmer's Gasthaus is not considered a brewpub but a regional brewery's pub, although I have included it and other big brewery pubs. Good-beer bastions such as the Horse Brass and the Green Dragon are also absent. Fine pubs, true, but they don't brew, so they don't make the cut.

Nor does the list pretend to be comprehensive. If the Mash Tun or Alameda or the Old Market Pub or Philadelphia's is your favorite, I agree that they're worthy -- but I could only write for so long.

The New Old Lompoc gets its name from a W.C. Fields movie and an earlier Portland pub.

The funky crown jewel

The New Old Lompoc is the funkiest place on Northwest 23rd Avenue, and bless it for that. Northwest, you may not know, wasn't always home to the beautiful and trendy. It once included some great old-school spots such as the original Lovejoy Tavern and Lancers. The Lompoc has that Old Portland vibe even though it opened in 1993. Fir-plank floors and a nice woody bar create an enticingly casual place for pint-sipping and people-watching on the avenue. There's a good menu of salads, sandwiches, burgers; some fine beers to ease your thirst (my usual call is C-Note); and a great garden out back by the small brewery.

The Lompoc's success led to a friendly little empire in the form of three other pubs. The Lompoc Fifth Quadrant on North Williams Avenue is the main brewery these days; and the Oaks Bottom Public House in Sellwood and Hedge House on Southeast Division Street are pubs only, but fine, family-friendly places. As for the original, encroaching development makes its existence a year-to-year deal. It'll be there for a while yet, but believe me when I tell you that you'd hate to have missed it. New Old Lompoc, 1616 N.W. 23rd Ave.; 503-225-1855, www.newoldlompoc.com

The first of the many

Portland's always had great brewpubs, right? No, sir, it has not -- and perhaps wouldn't at all except for brewery pioneers Mike and Brian McMenamin, the Widmer brothers and BridgePort founders Dick and Nancy Ponzi. In the mid-1980s, they convinced the Legislature that Oregon brewers should be allowed to sell their beer where it's brewed. With the installation of Captain Neon's Fermentation Chamber, McMenamins Hillsdale Pub became Oregon's first brewpub, and in October 1985 those brave new brewers began brewing.

These days, the beer, decor, menu and service all are well within the McMenamins bell curve, which is better news to some than to others, but as the first of two dozen McMenamin pub/breweries and home of the annual Battle for the Belt, Hillsdale deserves a special place in our affections. McMenamins Hillsdale Brewery and Public House, 1505 S.W. Sunset Blvd.; 503-246-3938, www.mcmenamins.com

Perfectly Portland

If asked to recommend a typical Portland brewpub, I send people to the Lucky Labrador on Hawthorne. I love the unassuming feel of the old industrial building; I love the beer, even if I only ever order Crazy Ludwig's Alt and Super Dog; I love the crowd of families, Reedies, regulars, gamers, cyclists and assorted Sou'Easters; and I love the back porch, although it can become excessively doggeriffic.

The menu is not elaborate, but sometimes all a person needs is a pint of good ale, some friends and a bowl of salted-in-the-shell peanuts. The Lab opened in October 1994 and two more have followed: the Beer Hall in Northwest, which is now the main brewery, and which I like nearly as well, and the Lucky Labrador Public House in Multnomah Village, which is a pub only and family-friendly to a fault. Lucky Labrador Brew Pub 915 S.E. Hawthorne Blvd.; 503-236-3555, www.luckylab.com
Upstairs, the Raccoon Lodge is a woody, family-friendly restaurant. Downstairs, it's a cool hangout.

The green machine

Hopworks Urban Brewery is not yet a year old and already an integral part of Portland's pub-o-sphere. HUB is built to be as sustainable and "green" as possible, right down to firing the brew kettle with biodiesel made from waste oil from the deep fryer. They also catch rainwater for irrigation and wash-down, recycle heat from the pizza oven and built much of the interior from salvaged lumber and hardware, including the 40 or so old bike frames skewered in a rank above the bar.

Award-winning brewer Christian Ettinger designed and built HUB with his architect dad, and rarely has a place so perfectly captured Portland's spirit. But we're glad he's back in rubber boots, because HUB has been brewing some of the best beer in town, most or all of it organic -- make mine a DOA, if you would, please. There's a good menu with great pizza and fresh baked breads, and HUB is kid-friendly all hours and usually busy. Hopworks Urban Brewery, 2944 S.E. Powell Blvd.; 503-232-4677, www.hopworksbeer.com

Family friendliest

My own daughter is married with daughters now, so sprog-suitability doesn't enter into my calculations except sometimes as a negative. But it is a big deal for young parents and families. As for society's benefit: having kids learn that responsible drinking is a part of socializing, and that a full life is far healthier than growing up around the shadowy bars and taverns of my youth. Laurelwood restaurants are some of the most welcoming places in town, and I go there because brewer Chad Kennedy and crew make some wonderful beers, such as the new Arctic Apocalypse black IPA.

The big new flagship brewery/restaurant on Northeast Sandy features several dining and drinking areas including a beer garden, and the menu goes beyond pub grub to include a Kobe beef burger, herbed barley risotto and house-smoked ribs. The original location in Hollywood now brews Laurelwood's seasonal and specialty beers. It has a fine, friendly bar and excellent pizza. There's also a nonbrewing location in Northwest. Laurelwood Pizza Co., 1728 N.E. 40th Ave.; 503-943-6157; Laurelwood Public House and Brewery, 5115 N.E. Sandy Blvd.; 503-282-0622; www.laurelwoodbrewpub.com

Home of a mad brewer

What are all those grizzled old wine casks and whiskey barrels doing in the brewery of the Raccoon Lodge, Art Larrance's spiffy suburban brewpub? They're aging some of the most innovative beer in Oregon, those brewed by Ron Gansberg. He's been a brewer for more than 20 years, and his interests now include wood-aged and blended beers, often inspired by Belgian styles such as Kriek and Flanders ales. Gansberg also brews mainstream beers, such as his excellent Celtic Copper, which pours upstairs in the pleasant restaurant and downstairs in the cool Raccoon's Den, which overlooks Gansberg's brewery. Raccoon Lodge & Brew Pub, 7424 S.W. Beaverton-Hillsdale Highway; 503-296-0110, www.raclodge.com

Beer garden of delights

Here's a recipe for bliss: a pint of Kevin King's Copacetic IPA and a street-side seat in Amnesia Brewing's beer garden. Sip beer, watch life on Mississippi Avenue. Repeat as desired and call it the Big Front Porch theory of the good life. Amnesia's garden doubles the pub's capacity and offers a pet-friendly area. Recent snows collapsed the tent, but a new permanent cover should be finished and the gas space heaters reinstalled in a couple of weeks, then one of Portland's best beer gardens will be back in business. It's not a place to go with the kids nor is the menu ambitious, with burgers and sausages from an outdoor grill. Never mind: The beer is stellar and the feel is right. Amnesia Brewing Co., 832 N. Beech St.; 503-281-7708

All organic, all the time

Roots is a classic Southeast hang -- busy and full of life, with reggae music playing, art on the walls and tap handles shaped like surfboards. Owner/brewers Craig Nicholls and Jason McAdams dedicated themselves to founding an organic brewery, and they've since gone on to create the annual North American Organic Brewers Festival to further the cause of sustainable brewing. On the home front, they brew great beer, such as the recently released Epic and Flanders Red ales, feature live music and art shows and have overhauled the food service with a new chef, kitchen and menu. Roots Organic Brewing Co., 1520 S.E. Seventh Ave.; 503-235-7668, rootsorganicbrewing.com

Part of a chain, but ...

Colorado-based Rock Bottom could be just another slick downtown chain restaurant, except that its various brewers won enough medals at the 2008 Great American Beer Festival to garner the Large Brewpub of the Year award. In Portland, their brewer is the vastly talented Van Havig, a former economist who lost faith in the dismal science, dropped out of grad school and started making beer. Lucky for us: Try his Highland Courage Scotch ale on tap or Black Peter, which he calls a cross between a Belgian tripel and a porter with a bit of anise. Rock Bottom Brewery & Restaurant, 206 S.W. Morrison St.; 503-796-2739, www.rockbottom.com

New in the Pearl

The new Deschutes pub in the Pearl District was the other big pub opening last year, and it has given a historic Portland building new life. Inspired by the cozy, woody pubs of Scotland, Deschutes' owner, Gary Fish, transplanted those cues to the Northwest and added an airy sweep of space. Massive recycled old-growth beams were milled into lumber for tables, mantels and the long, foot-thick bar, and craftsman J. Chester Armstrong carved intricate natural scenes into the lintels. It's a true showplace with an ambitious menu and 16 taps of Deschutes beers, many unavailable elsewhere. Deschutes Brewery & Public House, 210 N.W. 11th Ave.; 503-296-4906, www.deschutesbrewery.com

The big guys

BridgePort Brewing Co. (1313 N.W. Marshall St.; 503-241-7179), Pyramid Breweries/MacTarnahan's Grill and Taproom (2730 N.W. 31st Ave.; 503-228-5269) and the Widmer Gasthaus (955 N. Russell St.; 503-281-3333): Not brewpubs by strict definition, but they're good spots nonetheless, with brewery-fresh beer and full restaurants. BridgePort offers the most upscale dining, but this pioneer Portland brewery pub -- once a gloriously funky cave in which to get a slice and a pint --had its history scrubbed away in a makeover. The Gasthaus offers a solid, German-influenced menu and always has some great Gasthaus-only taps, including Widmer's legendary Altbier.

GAC
01-18-2009, 04:28 AM
My wife just came back from a mini vacation in the Smokys. Whenever we are down there I always bring back a case or two from the Smoky Mountain Brewery.

This time though, she brought me a mini kegger of their dark ale Tuckaleechee Porter.

http://smoky-mtn-brewery.com/page.asp?id=79

deltachi8
01-18-2009, 10:14 AM
My wife just came back from a mini vacation in the Smokys. Whenever we are down there I always bring back a case or two from the Smoky Mountain Brewery.

This time though, she brought me a mini kegger of their dark ale Tuckaleechee Porter.

http://smoky-mtn-brewery.com/page.asp?id=79

Good stuff. My brother in law and his wife live in Tenn and for Christmas gave me a couple bottles of that along with a brewery t-shirt. It was a very nice beer.

Spitball
01-18-2009, 10:54 AM
I finally got to try a Diamond Bear Paradise Porter last night. The locally brewed beer is new and has disappeared off the shelves pretty quickly. I was looking to see if my favorite packy had any Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale when I saw the newest Diamond Bear selection. http://diamondbear.blogspot.com/ No Celebration Ale and only two sixers of Paradise Porter left...I grabbed one (selfishly contemplated both) and headed for the checkout. It was very good but the flavor reminded me of something I've tried before but I can't quite place it.

Cyclone792
02-01-2009, 11:15 AM
http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20090201/NEWS01/902010360/1055/NEWS

Beer brewing once helped define us
By Peter Bronson • pbronson@enquirer.com • February 1, 2009

Try to imagine what would happen to Cincinnati if the federal government outlawed soap and sent G-men with axes to destroy Procter & Gamble's contraband supply of Tide and Ivory.

Devastating. An industry that has been the part of the city's culture and history would be destroyed. Unemployment, bankruptcy, poverty and decay would follow like the Four Horsemen of the Regulatory Apocalypse.

But here's a revelation: That wouldn't even be close to the damage done to Cincinnati on Jan. 29, 1920, when Prohibition took effect and turned off the tap at Cincinnati's thriving breweries.

For decades, Over-the-Rhine was a thriving neighborhood, with a dozen breweries: Germania, Bellevue, Hauk, Schoenling, Clyffside, Jackson, Lafayette.

The names are almost mythical now - just fading paint on towering brick buildings.

"It was part of the culture," said Steve Hampton, president of the OTR Brewery District, as he led me on a walking tour past ancient ice-houses, lagering tunnels, churches and neighborhoods that were all part of the lost beer world.

"There were barrel makers, farmers, stables, malt houses and brewers. When Prohibition came, it ripped the life out of this community," he said.

Prohibition was finally repealed in 1933. President Roosevelt called it "a failed experiment."

But too late for Cincinnati.

Most of the proud German breweries were gone - mothballed like giant tombs for lagers and bocks, never to be tapped again.

Just west of the corner where McMicken meets Elm, hard against the steep hillsides of Clifton, one of those relics is the Felsenbrau, where kegs last rolled out the doors 50 years ago.

Under brick arches, tunnels reach back into the hillside - cool, damp places with four-foot walls, where the beer was lagered in precise conditions to keep the yeast happy.

A black iron grain bin extends to the third floor, where old flywheels are all that's left of conveyors that carried wagonloads of barley to the brewer's pantry.

"The bars were all owned by the breweries," Hampton explained - like gas stations owned by Shell and BP. If someone wanted a Red Top premium, they filled up at the Red Top pump.

Those lagering tunnels proved useful. During Prohibition, the network was expanded to link breweries to bars and speakeasies.

Turns out Cincinnati had a second Underground Railroad - for beer.

"There are tunnels under tunnels," Hampton said. "We constantly find them when someone's digging."

Deep in the shadows of the old Felsenbrau-Clyffside brewery, where the tunnels fade to black, it's easy to imagine ghosts. They wear derbies and black suits and brew golden nectar under a sepia sky, rolling barrels of German lager into streets crowded with horse-drawn beer wagons and workers.

"There were 45,000 people living in this neighborhood at one point," says Mike Morgan, director of the OTR Foundation. "Now, we're down to 4,900."

But where there's beer, there are dreamers.

One of the oldest and proudest breweries in Cincinnati, Christian Moerlein, is providing the beer. President Greg Hardman now owns 47 of the historic brands, including Hudepohl, Burger and Little Kings.

Guys like Hampton and Morgan are standing by with a stein full of dreams.

They look at the derelict old breweries that crowd the streets in the north end of OTR, and they see condos, lofts, businesses, even breweries. "The architecture here is of historic significance," Hampton says, pointing out the intricate beer barrel, grain and brewer's tools that decorate the front of the old Clyffside building.

"This district is key to the economic revival of the city," says Morgan. "It's one of the most significant historic districts we have in Cincinnati. The city's roots are in this neighborhood."

Yesterday at 5 p.m., Christian Moerlein tapped a keg of its special Moerlein Emancipator Doppelbock, brewed to celebrate the 75th anniversary of the repeal of Prohibition.

Hampton and Morgan were looking forward to that to kick off their Bock Fest that begins on March 6, with a parade, ceremonial sampling of bock recipes and Prohibition Resistance Tours of old breweries: www.bockfest.com

Besides, they're beer drinkers.

"We're professionals," Morgan laughed.

Once upon a time, so was Cincinnati.

cinredsfan2000
02-01-2009, 01:49 PM
SARANAC Pale Ale I'm sorta mehh on this now. It used to be a favorite of mine but now it's just sort of bland i guess .>Shrugs< not bad but nothing spectacular.:beerme:

Cyclone792
02-01-2009, 05:08 PM
Tried a Grimbergen Blonde Ale today, and it's a pretty tasty beer. It's a Belgian Abbey beer with a light fruit taste and went down extremely smooth.

I've also got a Grimbergen Double Ale in the fridge waiting on deck.

SunDeck
02-13-2009, 08:46 PM
Went out for pizza tonight and hads me a pint 'o' this:
http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:Higkqke6K2ZXXM:http://behindthebuzz.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/03/arrogantale.PNG

and a pint 'o' this:
http://www.thewineemporiumboston.com/images/beer/sierra%20celebration%20ale.jpg

I'd rate the SN Celebration Ale above Arrogant Bastard. Never thought I'd find a beer I like better than the Bastard.

deltachi8
02-13-2009, 08:52 PM
Getting ready to brew my second batch of beer tomorrow. (I was going to do it today but broke my hydrometer as I started assembling hardware and had to make a trip to the homebrew store). I am making a German Bock and am trying to resist the urge to start playing until I really get the hang of things.

My first batch, brewed in early December was a Porter (all extract) than has aged very nicely.

I am going to be attending an AHA (American Homebrewers Association) rally at the St Arnold's brewery in Houston on Sunday. Anyone here a member? Is it worth it?

NoCalRed
02-13-2009, 09:15 PM
I'd rate the SN Celebration Ale above Arrogant Bastard. Never thought I'd find a beer I like better than the Bastard.

Sierra Nevada recently came out with a new year round release. The call it Torpedo an extra IPA. It is pretty good.

http://www.sierranevada.com/about/images/TorpedoBottleLG.jpg

JBChance
02-14-2009, 12:21 AM
Sierra Nevada recently came out with a new year round release. The call it Torpedo an extra IPA. It is pretty good.

I had some Sierra Nevada IPA over the holidays. My dad loves it. I like IPA's also. My favorite is Stone IPA brewed in San Diego.

Highlifeman21
02-14-2009, 08:08 AM
Man, for people with taste buds that don't care for IPAs to begin with (like me), I can't imagine how hoppy that Torpedo Extra IPA would be...

westofyou
02-14-2009, 10:11 AM
I had some Sierra Nevada IPA over the holidays. My dad loves it. I like IPA's also. My favorite is Stone IPA brewed in San Diego.

Stone is very good, I had some Russian River ESB last week that straddled the hoppy influence of a California IPA and crisp finish of a German martzen.

westofyou
02-14-2009, 10:12 AM

I understand that this has been in kegs for the past year and is just getting to the bottle, I'm picking some up today and something light and strong for fondue tonight.

reds1869
02-14-2009, 10:23 AM
I am currently hooked on Mt. Caramel beer. They have all varieties in six packs at Jungle Jim's, and you owe it to yourself to try some. Nothing like fresh beer that is locally brewed.

westofyou
02-14-2009, 10:29 AM
Nothing like fresh beer that is locally brewed.

So true, it's one of the things that makes Portland great.. fresh beer, fresh beer.

JBChance
02-14-2009, 10:36 AM
Stone is very good, I had some Russian River ESB last week that straddled the hoppy influence of a California IPA and crisp finish of a German martzen.

Have you tried the Ruination? I like it too.

westofyou
02-14-2009, 11:05 AM
Have you tried the Ruination? I like it too.

Not yet, but my pub has a couple guest taps, I'll push the buyer to grab a keg.

JBChance
02-14-2009, 11:28 AM
Not yet, but my pub has a couple guest taps, I'll push the buyer to grab a keg

I'd suggest it.

It's REALLY "hoppy", though; described as "a massive hop monster". You really have to have a taste for it.

I, myself, like to have one, maybe two, then move on to something else.

I'm a fan of Leinenkugel's, for instance. I've tried many of their varieties.

reds1869
02-14-2009, 10:41 PM
So true, it's one of the things that makes Portland great.. fresh beer, fresh beer.

When I spent time in England the thing I loved most was how every independent West Country pub brewed their own beer or made their own scrumpy Cider. Man, oh man, did that cider pack a punch!

goreds2
02-15-2009, 01:43 AM
When I was in England back in 1987 (I was 24 years old), my pub beer of choice was HANSA on tap.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1723/14235

http://bestuff.com/stuff/hansa-pils

NoCalRed
02-16-2009, 08:48 PM

Russian river makes some great beers, probably my favorite is pliny the elder. Its the hoppiest beer I have ever had, just recently starting selling it in stores. However at $5 for a 16oz bottle I will just stick to having my growler filled at the brewery just down the road.

//http://www.russianriverbrewing.com/web/brews/plinytheelder.htm

JBChance
02-16-2009, 10:14 PM
Russian river makes some great beers, probably my favorite is pliny the elder. Its the hoppiest beer I have ever had, just recently starting selling it in stores. However at $5 for a 16oz bottle I will just stick to having my growler filled at the brewery just down the road.

//http://www.russianriverbrewing.com/web/brews/plinytheelder.htm

I will have to try me some of that!

LoganBuck
02-17-2009, 07:25 AM
Coming to a state near you?

http://www.kgw.com/news-local/stories/kgw_021309_news_oregon_beer_tax.126942e1.html?npc

Spitball
02-17-2009, 06:44 PM
Coming to a state near you?

http://www.kgw.com/news-local/stories/kgw_021309_news_oregon_beer_tax.126942e1.html?npc

Jeesh! :eek: Those Oregon state lawmakers are evil, evil people and need to be voted out of office and deported to another country.

westofyou
02-17-2009, 07:03 PM
Jeesh! :eek: Those Oregon state lawmakers are evil, evil people and need to be voted out of office and deported to another country.
The state doesn't have sales tax so it's always a struggle to create revenue for the smaller communities, this is a load of wrong and I know my brewer friends are not pleased.

LoganBuck
02-17-2009, 09:33 PM
Careful if you drink this, you wind up with a wife beater on, and get in a strip club fight.

http://www.mlive.com/kalamabrew/index.ssf/2009/02/michigan_brewing_company_to_cr.html

Highlifeman21
02-18-2009, 12:47 AM
Careful if you drink this, you wind up with a wife beater on, and get in a strip club fight.

http://www.mlive.com/kalamabrew/index.ssf/2009/02/michigan_brewing_company_to_cr.html

... unfortunately Joe C has passed, or else this brew would come with the obligatory sidekick midget

goreds2
02-26-2009, 11:07 AM
I am going on vacation in early June. What's your favorite beer to drink on the beach?

westofyou
02-26-2009, 11:09 AM
I am going on vacation in early June. What's your favorite beer to drink on the beach?

http://www.thewinestreetjournal.com/images/Picture_Beer_SessionLagerFullSail.gif

SunDeck
02-26-2009, 11:59 AM
If I'm on the beach, I'm not picking nits over the beer I'm drinking there. But generally, I like me something lighter (as in color, not taste), so a pilsner is the optimal thing. The real conundrum with the beach is finding something in cans- I don't like having glass bottles on the beach.

cincyinco
02-26-2009, 03:47 PM
The beach where?

In Mexico, I found that a Montejo was the perfect, cheap, yet wonderfully delicious beer to drink.

Session is also a lovely beer.

pedro
02-26-2009, 05:37 PM
The beach where?

In Mexico, I found that a Montejo was the perfect, cheap, yet wonderfully delicious beer to drink.

Session is a good summer beer. It's made by Full Sail in Hood River about 45 minutes from Portland.

deltachi8
02-27-2009, 09:08 AM
If I'm on the beach, I'm not picking nits over the beer I'm drinking there. But generally, I like me something lighter (as in color, not taste), so a pilsner is the optimal thing. The real conundrum with the beach is finding something in cans- I don't like having glass bottles on the beach.

http://ussmullinnix.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/saranacpomegranatewheat.jpg?w=300&h=272

If you can get it where you are, this is a very nice summer kind of beer. They no wmake it available in cans as well. Even if your not a fan of "fruit beer" the pomegranate is very, very subtle...barely there. Very easy drinking.

goreds2
03-01-2009, 12:58 AM
I was thinking Bud Light LIME for the beach. :cool:

JBChance
03-06-2009, 12:55 AM
Tried a Goose Island IPA in Chicago last weekend. We went to Uno's and it's what our server recommended.

It was pretty tasty. I'd give it an 8 out of 10 or so.

GAC
03-06-2009, 02:55 AM
The beach where?

When I was lliving in Spain, and what American beer they had wasn't worth drinking because they used formaldehyde as a preservative, we drank these...

http://www.jeprox.us/assets/images/SanMiguel.jpg

http://www.dkimages.com/discover/previews/828/584821.JPG

And the next day you could always tell what everyone drank the night before. :beerme:

I couldn't wait to get back to the states.

JBChance
03-15-2009, 12:14 AM
Just drank one of these:

http://www.brewbasement.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/brooklynchoko.jpg

Brooklyn Brewery Chocolate Stout. It has a heavy malt taste and aroma as you would expect from an "Imperial" stout. The chocolate flavor and aroma is pretty pronounced, also.

My sister (lives in Brooklyn) brought it when she visited a few weeks ago. I think it may be my favorite, as of now. Good stuff.

WVPacman
03-15-2009, 12:32 AM
My favorite has to be root beer,I start feeling kind of good after drinking about three.A buddy of mine looked at me one night and said are you stupid that isn't real beer? I looked back at him and said son you are the one that has a few screws loose b/c it says beer right on the bottle.:D

JWP
03-15-2009, 02:37 PM
http://toddisrad.com/resources/StoneIPA4.jpg

Also a big fan of Arrogant Bastard Ale, from the same Brewery.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_bl2eYZ5RNx4/SAaiXjDghjI/AAAAAAAABA0/DO9t9JDDDBU/s320/DSC02044.JPG

camisadelgolf
03-15-2009, 03:31 PM
http://toddisrad.com/resources/StoneIPA4.jpg

Also a big fan of Arrogant Bastard Ale, from the same Brewery.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_bl2eYZ5RNx4/SAaiXjDghjI/AAAAAAAABA0/DO9t9JDDDBU/s320/DSC02044.JPG
Northside Tavern is serving Stone IPA right now, and I've really been enjoying it. :thumbup:

Brutus_the_Red
03-21-2009, 04:49 AM
My bar just tapped Avery Brewery's Maharaja Imperial India Pale Ale tonight.

10.5%....

hops like you wouldn't believe.

i love it. it's actually selling faster than the Southern Tier Unearthly IPA

westofyou
03-21-2009, 10:06 AM
My bar just tapped Avery Brewery's Maharaja Imperial India Pale Ale tonight.

10.5%....

hops like you wouldn't believe.

i love it. it's actually selling faster than the Southern Tier Unearthly IPA

That's a good beer, my pub had it last week... this week Diamond Knot IPA, pretty good too.

JBChance
03-21-2009, 10:12 PM
Northside Tavern is serving Stone IPA right now, and I've really been enjoying it. :thumbup:

Just cracked one 5 min. ago.

To your health!

cincyinco
03-22-2009, 02:59 AM
Good to see some Colorado beers getting some love around here.

Local store has had session lager on sale for 9.99 a 12 pack. Can't go wrong at that price.

deltachi8
03-23-2009, 10:41 AM
Tried the Arrogant Bastard last week and quite enjoyed it. Also had some Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout that was quite tasty