PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Beer

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

TeamSelig
12-12-2005, 02:48 PM
I know there has to be some beer drinkers on Redszone.

What is your favorite beer? I would have to go with Budweiser, the King Of Beers.

LoganBuck
12-12-2005, 02:51 PM
Cold

Ok, I like Warsteiner, Yuengling, and Guinness but am reluctant to pony up the cash for it. Among less costly alternatives I prefer Coors Light on a hot day, and Budweiser or Bud Light any other time.

TRF
12-12-2005, 03:05 PM
Root.

I just never picked up what i feel is a very acquired taste. My wife enjoys it though.

pedro
12-12-2005, 03:14 PM
New Old Lompoc C-Note

OldRightHander
12-12-2005, 03:14 PM
Root.

I just never picked up what i feel is a very acquired taste. My wife enjoys it though.

I'm with you there. I can't stand beer, but I do like food fried in beer batter. I was in Milwaukee a couple years ago and I had some fish that was fried in a beer batter that the place made from their own beer. The batter was made from stout. I will also boil brats in beer before grilling them, but I can't stand to drink the stuff.

pedro
12-12-2005, 03:16 PM
I really don't like lager anymore. I've grown very fond of good micro brewed ales since I've moved to the NW.

Blimpie
12-12-2005, 03:19 PM
What is this "beer" thing you speak of ? Sounds dreamy, whatever it might be....

flyer85
12-12-2005, 03:20 PM
Ibc

deltachi8
12-12-2005, 03:20 PM
Saranac Black and Tan

KittyDuran
12-12-2005, 03:23 PM
Mug

Redsland
12-12-2005, 03:35 PM
http://www.bottledbeer.co.uk/photos/harp.jpg

jmcclain19
12-12-2005, 03:44 PM
i'd have to say I have two favs

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs.cmu.edu/user/wsawdon/www/anchor.steam.jpeg

A former roommate turned me onto Anchor Steam. Been a huge fan ever since. Their Liberty Ale is excellent as well

http://www.beerdude.com/images/kiltlifter.gif

Kiltlifter is a Phoenix area brewed - a fantastic Scottish Ale. If you ever get a chance to sample it, don't miss out.

pedro
12-12-2005, 03:48 PM
http://www.bottledbeer.co.uk/photos/harp.jpg

I was made fun of when I ordered Harp in Ireland. They call it Harpish (name of some irish toilet cleaner)

Puffy
12-12-2005, 03:54 PM
Yuenling Black and Tan

Johnny Footstool
12-12-2005, 04:02 PM
Boulevard Unfiltered Wheat (on tap)

Ravenlord
12-12-2005, 04:02 PM
Bass...

but i prefer Meads and Wines and Ciders above all else.

jmcclain19
12-12-2005, 04:03 PM
I was made fun of when I ordered Harp in Ireland. They call it Harpish (name of some irish toilet cleaner)

For some reason, when you typed this I immediately thought of Pabst Blue Ribbon.

But apparently, Wikipedia tells me that Pabst is cool again, at least among the "retro hipsters"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pabst_Blue_Ribbon

pedro
12-12-2005, 04:08 PM
For some reason, when you typed this I immediately thought of Pabst Blue Ribbon.

But apparently, Wikipedia tells me that Pabst is cool again, at least among the "retro hipsters"

I only drink Crapbst when I play softball.

actually the new hipster beer is Iron City.

go figure.

westofyou
12-12-2005, 04:11 PM
http://www.bridgeportbrew.com/images/bp-brews-ipa02.jpg

bucksfan
12-12-2005, 04:12 PM
Samuel Adams Boston Lager (also like the seasonal Old Fezziwig Ale in their sampler pack), Bass, Yuengling Lager (the black and tan is also a good call!), Red Stripe (maybe it's the bottles!), Modelo Especial, the list goes on and on...

If I am having a beer (big IF, I know ;) ) under the auspices of tailgating, say at 10 AM prior to a Buckeye football game, it will likely me none of the above however. I will resort to the typical North American light beers such as Miller Lite, Coors Lite etc. Though the Sam Adams Light is the best light beer I have tasted by far, it is not generally available in those football tailgate settings yet...

TeamSelig
12-12-2005, 04:15 PM
I've never really heard of half of the beer you guys drink. I guess i've been living a sheltered life.

ORH,

When my friends and I attempt to cook drunk, sometimes if anything needs more water, we'll just pour in some beer. Usually chili, but we've been known to use it for just about anything. Still tastes good, although I can't really taste much of a difference.

TeamSelig
12-12-2005, 04:16 PM
Best light beer? Hmm... my favorite is probably Coors Light. Natural Light gets a vote for being really cheap though.

Johnny Footstool
12-12-2005, 04:18 PM

I talked to some people from England on Friday and asked them if they drank Guinness, Bass, and Harp. They made faces and told me that's what hobos drink.

Of course, they all said they loved Heineken. :barf:

Best light beer? Hmm... my favorite is probably Coors Light. Natural Light gets a vote for being really cheap though.

Sam Adams Light is excellent -- way more flavor than any other domestic light.

TeamSelig
12-12-2005, 04:21 PM
I'll have to give it a try some day. It can't be any worse than Busch Light. That is some pretty gross beer.

Blimpie
12-12-2005, 04:26 PM
For some reason, when you typed this I immediately thought of Pabst Blue Ribbon.Frank Booth says :beerme:

http://www.thepolecats.net/articles/hv/frankbooth.jpg

pedro
12-12-2005, 04:28 PM
I talked to some people from England on Friday and asked them if they drank Guinness, Bass, and Harp. They made faces and told me that's what hobos drink.

Of course, they all said they loved Heineken. :barf:

Sam Adams Light is excellent -- way more flavor than any other domestic light.

True, when I was in England Heineken was among the cheapest beer and Budweiser was among the most expensive.

Heineken is much tastier over there IMO.

Kind of like Rolling Rock. The farther you get from Old Latrobe, the older it tastes.

westofyou
12-12-2005, 04:31 PM
Best Local Dark Beer
http://www.laurelwoodbrewpub.com/images/beerlogo_thp.gif

SunDeck
12-12-2005, 04:49 PM
If I declare a favorite, then the search for the next great beer becomes a bore. But, if given the choice (and availability) I'd choose either a Guinness or a Flensburger Pils.

Best light beer? I really don't see the point of it.

mmm...beer.
Now I'm all daydreamy.

Crash Davis
12-12-2005, 05:00 PM
Best light beer? I really don't see the point of it.

mmm...beer.
Now I'm all daydreamy.

Good call...on both.

Crash Davis
12-12-2005, 05:02 PM

When I was in Ireland, it seemed that everyone was drinking Guiness, Smithwicks & Murphy's. I was a big fan of Caffrey's when I was over there, but I've had a tough time finding it in Cincinnati. BW3 carried it for a short while, but I haven't seen it around lately.

I like to experiment, but I generally drink Killian's the most. If they're serving Leinenkugel's instead, all the better...

SunDeck
12-12-2005, 05:23 PM
When I was in Ireland, it seemed that everyone was drinking Guiness, Smithwicks & Murphy's.
Kids, too?
What a country.

Oh, and I have a friend from up north who laughs at the price of Leine's today. He said when he was young, it was like Hamms and Olde Style.

Crash Davis
12-12-2005, 05:35 PM
Kids, too?
What a country.

Oh, and I have a friend from up north who laughs at the price of Leine's today. He said when he was young, it was like Hamms and Olde Style.

Maybe like Burger Lite or Hudy in the parking lot of Elder High School...?

OldRightHander
12-12-2005, 05:56 PM
When I was in Ireland last there was a beer there called Wanker and each bottle had a woman on the label. I can't tell you what it tastes like since I don't drink, but I found the name somewhat interesting, given the meaning of the word "wanker." I found out later that it's actually brewed in the U.S.

M2
12-12-2005, 06:23 PM
Fuller's ESB is the finest beer in the world as far as I'm concerned, but it's hard to get in this hemisphere.

Of what I can get on a regular basis, Sammy lager makes me all warm and happy inside. Harpoon and Red Hook are good out of the bottle too. Yuengling's got a solid product line (don't forget the porter).

Stroh's was always my favorite garbage beer, though I might drink nothing but Mickey's if I could find the old peel-off widemouths. Those little green barrel bottles were adorable and ideal for sharing some suds with your dog. The threading required for the twist-off widemouths ruined it.

westofyou
12-12-2005, 06:25 PM
Stroh's was always my favorite garbage beer,It's Fire Brewed.... Fullers is my favorite english ale.

M2
12-12-2005, 06:36 PM
It's Fire Brewed.... Fullers is my favorite english ale.

"Fire-brewed for our Connecticut friends" as the stencilled mirror at a place called the Brass Jail in Danbury, CT used to proclaim.

There's actually a few places in Boston with Fuller's on tap. Just to plant that seed.

reds1869
12-12-2005, 06:44 PM
Fuller's ESB is the finest beer in the world as far as I'm concerned, but it's hard to get in this hemisphere.

Fuller's ESB is tremendous, as are most of their beers. My favorite widely available American beer is Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. My favorite import is harder to narrow down; I tend to go for flavorful English drinks, especially IPAs. When it comes to cheap beer, nothing beats Iron City.

westofyou
12-12-2005, 06:54 PM
My favorite widely available American beer is Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.That is the Micro that changed it all on the west coast, it really grew in the late 80's and was a flower amongst the weeds.

pedro
12-12-2005, 07:02 PM
That is the Micro that changed it all on the west coast, it really grew in the late 80's and was a flower amongst the weeds.

one of my favorties. especially in the summer.

Falls City Beer
12-12-2005, 07:05 PM
I gave up drinking....

in bed. I like Schlitz; it's good with hot dogs.

LincolnparkRed
12-12-2005, 07:10 PM
Nothing like an Old Style at Wrigley(especially if you want to sleep alone later or the next two days)

Seriously though I will always take a Heineken from a tap.

Chip R
12-12-2005, 07:58 PM
I love Sam Adams Cherry Wheat. I love Harp too. Lately I've been drinking Christian Morelein. Good beer and they are a sponsor of our vintage base ball teams. I like Newcastle and Warsteiner too.

MWM
12-12-2005, 08:05 PM
Newcastle

BoydsOfSummer
12-12-2005, 09:18 PM
that cherry wheat sammy adams is real good stuff. i drink the boston lager mostly. my fav is a beer i discovered in cooperstown,ny. michael shea's pub style lager. i can't find it anymore around here.

Yachtzee
12-12-2005, 09:26 PM
Fuller's is one of my favorite English Ales, but nothing beats real cask-conditioned English ale from a pub.

Favorite Local Beer
http://www.greatlakesbrewing.com/media/beer_profiles/images/BurningRiver.jpg

Favorite Lager
http://www.christkindlmarket.com/logos/Stiegl%20logo%20COLOR%20REF.%20JS%20Glunz%20BEER%2 0.jpg

Unfortunately, I was down in Cincinnati this weekend and couldn't find one of my favorite cheap beers. Is Wiedemann's no longer available?

Reds Nd2
12-12-2005, 09:30 PM
I'm late to a beer thread! Damn! My only excuse is, I was out buying more beer. Since I'm an indiscriminate drinker, My fav beers in order:

1. Any beer at the ballpark
2. Cold
3. Free

http://www.ballpark.visithp.com/kansen/jacobs/0503/beer.jpg

GAC
12-12-2005, 09:34 PM
Ok, I like Warsteiner, Yuengling, and Guinness but am reluctant to pony up the cash for it. Among less costly alternatives I prefer Coors Light on a hot day, and Budweiser or Bud Light any other time.

Where were you at the last Redszone Gathering? Chip and I would have made you a member of the union. Membership dues are cheap! :lol:

While I'm showing my age again, but when I was younger, single, and econonically-challenged, I always bought "longnecks" that came in those returnable cardboard cases w/ the flaps. I wasn't too particular back then either... Hamms, Strohs, Budweiser, Rolling Rock, Schoenling, Hudepohl, Blatz. I stayed clear of Carling Black Label and Pabst though. ;)

Anymore I like to try various microbrewery beers. Plus I have a couple friends that make their own, and have been for quite some time, and it's pretty darn good. It's all in the technic and experience. They make both a light and dark beer, so whenever they make a new "batch" I place an order. ;)

NoCalRed
12-12-2005, 09:38 PM
i'd have to say I have two favs

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs.cmu.edu/user/wsawdon/www/anchor.steam.jpeg

A former roommate turned me onto Anchor Steam. Been a huge fan ever since. Their Liberty Ale is excellent as well

http://www.beerdude.com/images/kiltlifter.gif

Kiltlifter is a Phoenix area brewed - a fantastic Scottish Ale. If you ever get a chance to sample it, don't miss out.

There is a kilt lifter brewed out here in my area at a place called Moylans it is really good and big.
My favorite beer is the beer that I make in my garage and right now I am enjoying my seasonal pumpkin ale, it's quite tastey. If I had to buy beer I would go with Sierra Nevada or Lagunitas IPA I am quite the hop head.

GAC
12-12-2005, 09:39 PM
Mug

Sweetheart - you don't know what rootbeer is. ;)

You want a good rootbeer that is downright creamy and delicious? Here....

http://www.frostop.com/images/scans/bottle.gif

You'll never go back to that over carbonated junk. Even A&W and Frosty is not like it use to be anymore. ;)

It's making a comeback too. I'm starting to find it more and more around Ohio. They are based out of Columbus, Ohio, and you can still get it.

http://www.frostop.com/text/welcome.html

GAC
12-12-2005, 09:42 PM
I gave up drinking....

in bed. I like Schlitz; it's good with hot dogs.

Always gave me the Schlitzs. ;)

reds1869
12-12-2005, 09:44 PM
that cherry wheat sammy adams is real good stuff. i drink the boston lager mostly. my fav is a beer i discovered in cooperstown,ny. michael shea's pub style lager. i can't find it anymore around here.

Go to Jungle Jim's on Route 4 right down the road from you. If someone brews it they probably have it. I bought some Michael Shea's there last month...decent stuff.

GAC
12-12-2005, 09:55 PM
Go to Jungle Jim's on Route 4 right down the road from you. If someone brews it they probably have it. I bought some Michael Shea's there last month...decent stuff.

That's one neat store.

deltachi8
12-12-2005, 09:56 PM

Michael Sheas is made by High Falls (I think thats what they call it) - the "high end" name for Genessee Brewery - Rochester, NY.

If you went to college in Western-Central, NY you probably woke up after a night of drinking Genny Cream Ale with a case of the Genny Screamers.

Micahel Sheas is good stuff though.

dsmith421
12-12-2005, 10:26 PM

I was drinking PBR pretty regularly in law school because a) you could get a case of bottles at the Wasson Avenue drive-in for $12, and b) they had pints of it at R.P. McMurphy's in Oakley for $1.50, and I lived half a mile away.

For my taste, nothing beats a smooth pint of Guinness, but it seems like the quality of brew you get varies widely geographically and among bars (and maybe I just bought into the hype, but it does seem to taste better in Ireland, and it also seems to taste better in Irish pubs in the States--I have no earthly idea why.)

When I lived in Britain, I was obsessed with Tetley's, which you can also get at the Pub in Rookwood and at Nicholson's downtown. If you like bitters, try a pint sometime, you won't regret it. I found the most popular European beers, like Stella Artois, Heineken and Kronenbourg to be somewhat overrated.

I don't know a whole lot about Microbrews, but two regional breweries that produce a uniformly good beer are New Belgium (Fat Tire, etc. from Fort Collins, Colorado) and Great Lakes Brewing. The many varieties of Christian Moerlein are also fabulous, and you can eat an enormous German meal in a mansion owned by the brewer's family in Cincinnati (Lenhardt's Restaurant on McMillan near UC).

Despite all the above, if I had to drink only one beer for the rest of my life (and obviously I mean an unlimited supply of one type of beer, not one beer period, I'd have to kill myself) it would be Pilsner Urquell.

Falls City Beer
12-12-2005, 10:29 PM
Despite all the above, if I had to drink only one beer for the rest of my life (and obviously I mean an unlimited supply of one type of beer, not one beer period, I'd have to kill myself) it would be Pilsner Urquell.

In all seriousness, I agree completely.

paintmered
12-12-2005, 11:12 PM
The many varieties of Christian Moerlein are also fabulous, and you can eat an enormous German meal in the brewer's old house in Cincinnati (Lenhardt's Restaurant on McMillan near UC).

Wow! I never knew that. Thanks for that tidbit. :beerme:

Yachtzee
12-12-2005, 11:21 PM

If you haven't been there, I highly recommend paying a visit to the Czech Republic. Travel around Bohemia and try some of the local brews. Towns like Pilsen and Cesky Budovice (Budweis) are great places to throw down a few beers. And Prague has a couple of good local breweries as well.

dsmith421
12-12-2005, 11:22 PM
Wow! I never knew that. Thanks for that tidbit. :beerme:

Ack! My recollection was somewhat flawed:

"The restaurant's history is intriguing. Here's the short version: Some Lenhardts came to America from Yugoslavia in the 1950s and opened a restaurant. In 1965, the restaurant moved to 151 W. McMillan, formerly the Moerlein mansion, where it's been ever since. The mansion has a colorful past. Built as a wedding present for beer-maker Christian Moerlein's daughter (sure beats a blender), the house later did time as a doctor's office, an army barracks, a fraternity house and a private club. The original Lenhardts' granddaughter, Christine Windholtz, is now driving the business, bringing third-generation savvy to the operation by opening an underground rathskeller -- called Christy's in 1991 -- and a beer garden in 1998."

http://www.citybeat.com/2005-03-09/diner.shtml

Betterread
12-12-2005, 11:36 PM
Has anyone tried Bell's from Kalamazoo - I like their Oberon Ale the best ( a summer wheat ale)
For widely available beer in the upper third, Canadian beer is better and costs the same, with Molson my favorite.
For European imports, I think Bavarian beer like Paulaner is my favorite.

PickOff
12-13-2005, 12:50 AM
Cheap beer: Definitely Rolling Rock, hands down, very underated.

Non Cheap Beer: Sam Adams, Red Stripe, Dinkel Acker Pils

12-13-2005, 01:34 AM

For a daily beer, I was drinking Coors and Michelob, and sometimes Bud Select, and I found some sight on the net with beer reviews- domestic and world imports. Out of all the American mass produced beers, it ranked Michelob #1 and- get this- Pabst Blue Ribbon #2. I gave in and bought some long necks and I actually like it. I like it better than Bud or Coors products.

Though if $ was no object, I could drink Harp all the time. A great breakfast beer!:beerme:

I had some a couple weeks ago called Young's Winter Warmer- came in that British size- 16.9 ounces, I think. I went in for 1 and had 3- it was great! I like Guinness, too, if I am in that mood. I don't really dig the German wheat beers, though. Ever try McEwan's Scothch Ale? Anything with Anchor Steam on the label is bliss, too.

One of the things I fear most about death is drinking no more beer.

TeamSelig
12-13-2005, 02:09 AM
One of the things I fear most about death is drinking no more beer.

lol Quote of the year

M2
12-13-2005, 02:40 AM
Just curious, is Oldenburg still brewing over in Northern Kentucky? I took the tour there a long time ago (great beer museum they had there) and thought they made a decent product. It's always fun to run into a local microbrew like that. Celis down in Austin makes some killer Belgians and Old Heurich in D.C. is a tasty concoction. Dogfish Head down in Delaware makes some cool beers too, including Midas Touch Golden Elixir -- taken from a recipe found in the tomb of King Midas (no joke).

Yachtzee
12-13-2005, 03:09 AM
Just curious, is Oldenburg still brewing over in Northern Kentucky? I took the tour there a long time ago (great beer museum they had there) and thought they made a decent product. It's always fun to run into a local microbrew like that. Celis down in Austin makes some killer Belgians and Old Heurich in D.C. is a tasty concoction. Dogfish Head down in Delaware makes some cool beers too, including Midas Touch Golden Elixir -- taken from a recipe found in the tomb of King Midas (no joke).

Sadly, I believe Oldenburg closed for business a few years ago. My grandfather used to drive down from Troy to get kegs of Oldenburg for the beermeister. That and Christain Moerlein from the Hudepohl Brewery.

I like Dogfish Head. There's also the Victory Brewing Co. If you like hops, they have a beer called Hop Devil that's pretty good.

Ommegang Brewery out of Cooperstown, N.Y. is a good place to visit on your way to the Baseball Hall of Fame. They brew Belgian varieties primarily.

Stewie
12-13-2005, 11:32 AM
When I was in Philadelphia, Yuengling was pretty much unavoidable (and tasty), so I pretty much stuck to that.

Now that I am in Dayton, and a student again, I've had to kick it down a notch and go for Bud Select. A much better option than regular Bud, but still pretty cheap. I also enjoy Blue Moon and Red Stripe.

GIK
12-13-2005, 12:36 PM
This is tough, because there are some good ones out there. Unfortunately there isn't much selection at the local supermarket in the Detroit-Metro. So, with that, I'll say:

Sam Adams
Yuengling
Sierra Nevada
Bell's

My Dad always stocks Red Hook ESB, but it's hard to find around here.

Chip R
12-13-2005, 01:23 PM
Where were you at the last Redszone Gathering? Chip and I would have made you a member of the union. Membership dues are cheap! :lol:

If, by cheap, you mean buying you and I beers all throughout the game, then yes, the dues are cheap. :beerme:

reds_bengals1
12-13-2005, 01:32 PM
Shiner Bock. Awesome!!!

BuckU
12-13-2005, 01:36 PM
Great Lakes Brewing Christmas Ale...

Nothing like some cinnamon mixed with your barley & hops to get you in the holiday spirit

Heath
12-13-2005, 01:54 PM
I'm the designated driver when it comes to beer as well--I don't drink a whole lot I guess....That also means the alcohol isn't a factor on why I like the Reds. Must be time to visit my friendly neighborhood shink! :eek:

If I do have a beer its either Rolling Rock or Killian's Red. My favorite at the park was RedLegg Ale which you found behind section 415 at GABP. They pulled the tap. I just grab a Molson from behind 420 now.

15fan
12-13-2005, 02:00 PM
PBR is indeed making a comeback in these parts. More places than you'd think actually have it on draft. If they do, my neighbor and I will proudly order a pitcher. It's a badge of honor.

(As a side note, said neighbor recently went into Home Depot. He told the clerk that he needed a funnel. Upon being led to the funnels, neighbor then asked for direction to the aisle where they stocked plastic tubing & clamps. Clerk laughed. So did neighbor. Neighbor proceeded to buy all of the necessary implements to construct, well, whatever it is that you would construct with a funnel & some plastic tubing. Evidently there are plans over the holidays to see if we still have it in us. Personally, I'm not at all optimistic and fully expect to be smacked in the face with the reality that the glory days of youth have long since passed me by. But I digress.)

In the absence of PBR...

Kona Brewing out in Hawaii has some solid offerings. The only problem is that there aren't any places in Georgia for me to buy it. Palmetto out of Charleston, SC has some solid brews, too. Have a 6pack of their Amber in my fridge right now.

Sweetwater is the big local brew. Yuengling gets a thumbsup, too.

In Georgia, we can now buy high alcohol content brews. Have tried a few. I like them, but they don't necessarily like me. I am going to bite the bullet, though, and try another one over the holidays - Doctor Diesel, a Russian brew.

(Rest assured that the women & children will be whisked away to a safe house before I open that one.)

Redsland
12-13-2005, 02:20 PM
(As a side note, said neighbor recently went into Home Depot. He told the clerk that he needed a funnel. Upon being led to the funnels, neighbor then asked for direction to the aisle where they stocked plastic tubing & clamps. Clerk laughed. So did neighbor. Neighbor proceeded to buy all of the necessary implements to construct, well, whatever it is that you would construct with a funnel & some plastic tubing.
From Monday's Enquirer, re: Bengals pre-game:
http://cmsimg.enquirer.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?NewTbl=1&Site=AB&Date=20051211&Category=SPT02&ArtNo=512110802&Ref=PH&Profile=1066&Item=9&MaxW=600&title=1

:all_cohol

SunDeck
12-13-2005, 02:24 PM
I don't know a whole lot about Microbrews, but two regional breweries that produce a uniformly good beer are New Belgium (Fat Tire, etc. from Fort Collins, Colorado) and Great Lakes Brewing. The many varieties of Christian Moerlein are also fabulous, and you can eat an enormous German meal in a mansion owned by the brewer's family in Cincinnati (Lenhardt's Restaurant on McMillan near UC).

Are they still serving german food? I know that when the owners retired, they passed the place on to their daughter (Christy). But I was under the impression that the old, traditional fare was being phased out.

Anyway, ditto on Moerlein. I have been drinking it since it came out in the early 80s and I make my dad bring a case whenever he visits me. And that brings up another topic, DRIVE THROUGHS- best invention anywhere. Are there other places that have them like Cincinnati?

westofyou
12-13-2005, 02:27 PM
DRIVE THROUGHS- best invention anywhere. Are there other places that have them like Cincinnati?
Not out west.

Moreline in the 19th century with the Mt Adams tram in the background.

http://www.deadballart.com/redszone/christianmoreland.gif

LoganBuck
12-13-2005, 02:30 PM
If, by cheap, you mean buying you and I beers all throughout the game, then yes, the dues are cheap. :beerme:

:evil: :help: :thumbdown :beerme:

gonelong
12-13-2005, 02:59 PM
Evidently there are plans over the holidays to see if we still have it in us. Personally, I'm not at all optimistic and fully expect to be smacked in the face with the reality that the glory days of youth have long since passed me by. But I digress.)

Bonged my first beers in 10+ years at an OSU away game. Its like riding a bike ... you can fall down if you aren't paying attention. :laugh:

You can do a couple, just don't think your going to do the volumen and frequency of days gone by, or days will go by before you recover.

Its a truely foolish endeavour - have fun. :beerme:

GL

pedro
12-13-2005, 02:59 PM
And that brings up another topic, DRIVE THROUGHS- best invention anywhere. Are there other places that have them like Cincinnati?

There's one place in Atlanta where you can drive up to a side window, but other than that I've never seen a drive through anywhere else, especially not in the quansom hut style that they have in Ohio. It's really too bad, those places rock.

Redlegs23
12-13-2005, 03:31 PM
Fuller's is one of my favorite English Ales, but nothing beats real cask-conditioned English ale from a pub.

Unfortunately, I was down in Cincinnati this weekend and couldn't find one of my favorite cheap beers. Is Wiedemann's no longer available?

I know Wiedemann's is still available at area Krogers, and I agree, it is a good cheap beer (esp. for us college kids).

gonelong
12-13-2005, 03:42 PM
I know Wiedemann's is still available at area Krogers, and I agree, it is a good cheap beer (esp. for us college kids).

I have 100s and 100s of different beers. The only two I won't drink are Wiedemans and Olympia.

Its not like I am a beer snob either. I'll glady down Milwaukee Best, Coors, Budweiser, Busch Light, etc. Granted its been 15 years since I tried either, but I couldn't choke those two down.

Anchor Steam is probably my all time favorite, though any beer around a campfire is a good beer.

GL

pedro
12-13-2005, 03:44 PM
I have 100s and 100s of different beers. The only two I won't drink are Wiedemans and Olympia.

Its not like I am a beer snob either. I'll glady down Milwaukee Best, Coors, Budweiser, Busch Light, etc. Granted its been 15 years since I tried either, but I couldn't choke those two down.

Anchor Steam is probably my all time favorite, though any beer around a campfire is a good beer.

GL

"It's in the Water"

The only question is "What is it" ?

westofyou
12-13-2005, 03:47 PM
I have 100s and 100s of different beers. The only two I won't drink are Wiedemans and Olympia. My list is way longer, but the one I won't touch is "Old Dutch"

Budweiser has so many chemicals in it that it gives me the worst hangover, I try not to drink any beer that comes from a can, green bottle or clear bottle.

Christmas Ales are big in the Micro Brew world, I enjo Anchor Steam's teh most, and Sierra Nevada's Celebration Ale, Jubelale from Deschutes Brewery in Bend Oregon... in fact all their beers are pretty damn good, especially Mirror Pond Pale Ale.

westofyou
12-13-2005, 03:48 PM
"It's in the Water"

The only question is "What is it" ?

It's made by Artesians.

pedro
12-13-2005, 03:49 PM
Piels might be the worst beer ever.

http://www.breweriana.com/trays/traypielsbros214.jpg

gonelong
12-13-2005, 03:49 PM
Stroh's was always my favorite garbage beer, though I might drink nothing but Mickey's if I could find the old peel-off widemouths. Those little green barrel bottles were adorable and ideal for sharing some suds with your dog. The threading required for the twist-off widemouths ruined it.

Did these used to be referred to as "hand grenades" by any chance?

Was visiting my cousin years ago and snuck into a bar by showing the guy at the door my real ID. He didn't even look at it, just handed it back and sent us in. I was 19 but I had to look all of 14 or so back then.

We just gorged on widemouths that entire evening.

As fate would have it I now live pretty close to that place, might have to stop by and see if they still have widemouths. Sounds like they won't be the peel-offs but it'd be a bit nostalgic to return to the "scene of the crime".

You must be about my age (36). Do you remember Little Kings being all the rage in the late 80's for a bit? We drank quite a bit of Strohs and Old Milwaukee back then.

GL

westofyou
12-13-2005, 03:53 PM
Do you remember Little Kings being all the rage in the late 80's for a bit? They had brief nationwide interest... but in the 70's the Little Kings was the standard beer you'd get if you didn't want lager.

I drank an 8 pack from Mariemont to the Colisieum on our way to see Springsteen in 1981 or so.... ughhhh

paintmered
12-13-2005, 03:55 PM
Are they still serving german food? I know that when the owners retired, they passed the place on to their daughter (Christy). But I was under the impression that the old, traditional fare was being phased out.

Anyway, ditto on Moerlein. I have been drinking it since it came out in the early 80s and I make my dad bring a case whenever he visits me. And that brings up another topic, DRIVE THROUGHS- best invention anywhere. Are there other places that have them like Cincinnati?

Leinhardt's is still open.

NoCalRed
12-13-2005, 07:16 PM
There's one place in Atlanta where you can drive up to a side window, but other than that I've never seen a drive through anywhere else, especially not in the quansom hut style that they have in Ohio. It's really too bad, those places rock.

I have seen the drive up window in Cody, WY before, but never the drive throughs like in Ohio.

GAC
12-13-2005, 07:30 PM
My list is way longer, but the one I won't touch is "Old Dutch"

Me too! :lol:

Can that even be ranked as beer?

My Dad, who was the connoisseur of cheap beer (he loved Blatz), once bought a beer called Cook's. Nothing but water.

Budweiser has so many chemicals in it that it gives me the worst hangover, I try not to drink any beer that comes from a can, green bottle or clear bottle.

I can't stand beer in a can. Now I have drank beer while in the can though. ;)

I like Calhoun's Restaurant and Brewery. They have one in the Smokies. Whenever I go down there I always bring some back.

GAC
12-13-2005, 07:32 PM

Well...plebs do have to go through an initiation period. ;)

westofyou
12-13-2005, 07:34 PM
Can that even be ranked as beer?We got a case of long necks for $10 bucks in Ashland, it was the worst stuff ever... the Moxie of Beer.

http://www.mibeercans.com/images/Associated/Associated_M135_Old_Dutch_P.JPG

Falls City Beer
12-13-2005, 07:34 PM

GL

My dad used to drink Wiedemann Beer. The one positive thing you can say about it is that it came in bottles. Oh, and it was a liquid.

westofyou
12-13-2005, 07:36 PM
My dad used to drink Wiedemann Beer. The one positive thing you can say about it is that it came in bottles. Oh, and it was a liquid.
8 Packs too... those extra beers can be a good thing.

GAC
12-13-2005, 07:45 PM
We got a case of long necks for $10 bucks in Ashland, it was the worst stuff ever... the Moxie of Beer.

http://www.mibeercans.com/images/Associated/Associated_M135_Old_Dutch_P.JPG

I was fortunate enough to never have it in cans. We use to get the longnecks in cases. We were young and stupid.

My great, great grandfather, who was German, use to run a brewery at the turn of the century around Celina or Minster, Ohio. I'm thinking it was called Dutch Maid, but I'm not sure.

reds1869
12-13-2005, 08:01 PM
For my taste, nothing beats a smooth pint of Guinness, but it seems like the quality of brew you get varies widely geographically and among bars (and maybe I just bought into the hype, but it does seem to taste better in Ireland, and it also seems to taste better in Irish pubs in the States--I have no earthly idea why.)

"American Guinness" is brewed by licensees in Canada. Many Irish pubs import their Guinness direct from Ireland and some stores (mostly in New England) do as well. As it is, most of us settle for Canadian Guiness. Luckily for me, I can run right across the street and buy the real deal, albeit at a price higher than the Canadian stuff.

M2
12-13-2005, 09:12 PM
Did these used to be referred to as "hand grenades" by any chance?

Was visiting my cousin years ago and snuck into a bar by showing the guy at the door my real ID. He didn't even look at it, just handed it back and sent us in. I was 19 but I had to look all of 14 or so back then.

We just gorged on widemouths that entire evening.

As fate would have it I now live pretty close to that place, might have to stop by and see if they still have widemouths. Sounds like they won't be the peel-offs but it'd be a bit nostalgic to return to the "scene of the crime".

You must be about my age (36). Do you remember Little Kings being all the rage in the late 80's for a bit? We drank quite a bit of Strohs and Old Milwaukee back then.

GL

Yep, I've heard 'em called hand grenades.

Can't say I recall Little Kings. Back in the '80s my trash beer drinking centered around large bottle offerings - Haffenreffer and Knickerbocker leap to mind. In the early '90s I developed a love for Crazy Horse, malt liquor in a handsomely stencilled bottle. Honestly, who could resist this?

http://cita.chattanooga.org/chml3.gif

The real awful brew in my neck of the woods is Narragansett, or 'Gansett as the locals call it.

it was the worst stuff ever... the Moxie of Beer

My wife's cousin was just in town and he was baffled why I wouldn't want a hit off his Moxie.

Yachtzee
12-13-2005, 11:44 PM

I must have hit the wrong Krogers on Sunday. My friend and I were looking for some Wiedemann's on our way back up to Akron after the Bengals game.

Every year in January we go to this even known only as "Cabin Weekend." One of the requirements is that you brink cheap beer. Of course I've notice that some guys, as they get older, get to be pretty finicky about their beer. So in past years there used to be quite a wide variety of cheap offerings to pick from, now it seems like Miller Lite and Bud Light are dominant as beers of choice. But then last year we brought a couple cases of Wiedemann's and it was a big hit. First beer to run out!

I'm happy to say that Christian Moerlein has made a comeback as far north as the Giant Eagle on the border of Stow and Hudson, OH.

TeamSelig
12-14-2005, 03:29 AM
I don't know much, but I drank alot of beer tonight.

Johnny Footstool
12-14-2005, 10:59 AM
Anyone drink Stag?

http://www.breweriana.com/bottles/bottlestagbeer.jpg

I went to a wedding a couple of years ago, and there were three kinds of beer available: Bud Light, Miller Light, and Stag. I guess Stag was the groom's favorite -- he was the only one drinking it. He said it stood for "Steak, Taters, And Gravy."

I had one. It might as well have been pee from an actual stag.

Puffy
12-14-2005, 11:17 AM
If you went to college in Western-Central, NY you probably woke up after a night of drinking Genny Cream Ale with a case of the Genny Screamers.

Yup, but only once or twice - we mostly stayed away from Genny Cream Ale.

Puffy
12-14-2005, 11:20 AM
You must be about my age (36). We drank quite a bit of Strohs and Old Milwaukee back then.

GL

Yes and yes - and Milwaukee's Best.

deltachi8
12-14-2005, 02:27 PM
Yes and yes - and Milwaukee's Best.

The Beast. $1.99 12 packs use to rule.

deltachi8
12-14-2005, 02:30 PM
My Dad, who was the connoisseur of cheap beer (he loved Blatz), once bought a beer called Cook's. Nothing but water.

was it "cook's" or "Koch's"?

Koch's was made in Dunkirk, NY for years and the oldtimers there swear by it. I think drinking the lake erie water may have effected the taste buds.

Another cheap beer from college days - Goebels. We pronounced it with a french accent "Zgo-bel, the fine french ale". $4.99/case long necks.

dman
12-14-2005, 02:48 PM
I myself am not a beer drinker, but after 15 years of the Air Force, both active duty and with the Guard, I've been to Germany a few times. I hear a lot of the guys (and gals) speak well of Dortmunder Union Original. There was a time when we would take two tankers over, everbody loaded all their cargo on one and there were two skids full of beer on the other. People that didn't go on the deployment were literally placing orders with the ones who were going. Gotta' love it.

Falls City Beer
12-14-2005, 02:59 PM
Yep, I've heard 'em called hand grenades.

Can't say I recall Little Kings. Back in the '80s my trash beer drinking centered around large bottle offerings - Haffenreffer and Knickerbocker leap to mind. In the early '90s I developed a love for Crazy Horse, malt liquor in a handsomely stencilled bottle. Honestly, who could resist this?

http://cita.chattanooga.org/chml3.gif

The real awful brew in my neck of the woods is Narragansett, or 'Gansett as the locals call it.

My wife's cousin was just in town and he was baffled why I wouldn't want a hit off his Moxie.

Crazy Horse: the only adult beverage on earth to have made me puke. It makes my insides transmogrify. Awful stuff.

Yachtzee
12-14-2005, 03:07 PM

Koch's was made in Dunkirk, NY for years and the oldtimers there swear by it. I think drinking the lake erie water may have effected the taste buds.

Another cheap beer from college days - Goebels. We pronounced it with a french accent "Zgo-bel, the fine french ale". $4.99/case long necks.

A yes, the cheap college beers:

Old Milwaukee
Milwaukee's Best
Goebels
Schaeffer
Natural Light
Keystone - the "bottled beer in a can"
Rainer
Carling Black Label
Colders 21 (or something like that)
Heilmann's
Burger (they used to have $.99 bottles at Ray's Place in Kent)
Little Kings
Genny
Mickey's Big Mouth

And don't forget the malt liquors
Colt .45
Old English 800
St. Ides

And the un-beer for the ladies
Zima

Am I missing anything?

Yachtzee
12-14-2005, 03:09 PM

By the way dc8, my wife is from Bath, NY and went to school at Fredonia State. There's a great brewpub in downtown Fredonia that I forget the name of at the moment.

SunDeck
12-14-2005, 03:15 PM

That's what a couple guys I knew in college called it too. Funny.

Puffy
12-14-2005, 03:25 PM

Old Milwaukee
Milwaukee's Best
Goebels
Schaeffer
Natural Light
Keystone - the "bottled beer in a can"
Rainer
Carling Black Label
Colders 21 (or something like that)
Heilmann's
Burger (they used to have $.99 bottles at Ray's Place in Kent)
Little Kings
Genny
Mickey's Big Mouth

And don't forget the malt liquors
Colt .45
Old English 800
St. Ides

And the un-beer for the ladies
Zima

Am I missing anything?

Matt's - we used to get Matt's beer balls all the time. Do they still make beer balls? Not much use for those if you are not in college.

Chip R
12-14-2005, 03:32 PM

Am I missing anything?

Schmidt

M2
12-14-2005, 03:37 PM
Crazy Horse: the only adult beverage on earth to have made me puke. It makes my insides transmogrify. Awful stuff.

For crappy malt liquor I thought it was kind of good. They actually put some hops and barley in it.

Regardless, the bottle looked great. It was a 40 you could brandish with pride at society gatherings.

M2
12-14-2005, 03:40 PM
Schmidt

Did Schmidt's circulate much outside the Philly area? Ghastly stuff.

Utica Club up central New York is/was wretched too.

deltachi8
12-14-2005, 03:45 PM
By the way dc8, my wife is from Bath, NY and went to school at Fredonia State. There's a great brewpub in downtown Fredonia that I forget the name of at the moment.

I went to Fredonia as well and vist there frequently. The brew pub was called Barker Brew, was closed for a while. I heard it reopened under new ownership - i will hav eto check with my boys down there on the name.

Roy Tucker
12-14-2005, 03:52 PM
Stroh's spelled backwards is shorts.

In college, we used to drink P.O.C. (Pride of Cleveland) beer. 99 cents for a siz-pack. If you get it very cold, you couldn't taste the Cuyahoga River water it was made with.

The rage in my freshman year at Ohio Univ. was a malt beverage called Hop N' Gator. It was some weird thing with Gatorade and beer.

At OSU at a bar called the Southberg, they sold 2 gallon stainless steel buckets filled with beer. Usually Stroh's draft that must have come from old kegs since it was so flat. But we didn't really care.

Chip R
12-14-2005, 04:20 PM

Oh yeah. It seemed to be the favorite beer of our dorm floor one year back in the mid 80s. I think even one bar close to campus used it as their house beer but they didn't call it Schmidt.

I wish I could remember the name of the beer a couple of friends of mine used to drink when they lived in Cedar Rapids. It was dirt cheap and supposed to be real bad. I want to say Jagermeister but I know that's hard stuff.

Anyone remember Red White and Blue beer?

12-14-2005, 04:28 PM
When I was in college, the drinking age in Illinois for beer and wine (real beer, not the 3.2) was 19. I was going to Vincennes University, right across the river. There was a bar and carryout called Hank's that sold cold 12 packs of Stroh's for $2.14. Good return for money spent.

I knew 2 guys in Rushville, In back in the 70's named Pops and Biff (seriously) that always rode around in the back of a pickup truck with a bed full of Red White and Blues.

M2
12-14-2005, 04:37 PM
I knew 2 guys in Rushville, In back in the 70's named Pops and Biff (seriously) that always rode around in the back of a pickup truck with a bed full of Red White and Blues.

RW&B is the quintessential drinking and driving beer. In fact, when I lived in Virginia I know some guys who'd get a regular Jones to cruise around with an open can of RW&B. Don't know that I ever saw anyone consume outside of an automobile.

Yachtzee
12-14-2005, 04:54 PM
I wish I could remember the name of the beer a couple of friends of mine used to drink when they lived in Cedar Rapids. It was dirt cheap and supposed to be real bad. I want to say Jagermeister but I know that's hard stuff.

Meister Brau?

Chip R
12-14-2005, 05:18 PM
Meister Brau?

No. I'd remember that. It's really obscure. I'll have to ask them.

westofyou
12-14-2005, 05:19 PM
RW&B is the quintessential drinking and driving beer. In fact, when I lived in Virginia I know some guys who'd get a regular Jones to cruise around with an open can of RW&B. Don't know that I ever saw anyone consume outside of an automobile.I used to write $3.99 checks for 12 packs of RW&B, good times.....

Puffy
12-14-2005, 05:36 PM

Utica Club up central New York is/was wretched too.

Good call - Utica club was horrendous.

westofyou
12-14-2005, 05:42 PM
My Gramps in poughkeepsie drank that crap at times, and some other toilet cleaners.

Beer in New York makes you do awfully strange things.

1865 Mathew Vassar, a prominent Poughkeepsie, New York brewer, founds Vassar College, the first privately endowed school for women.Chili went to school there IIRC

Red in Chicago
12-14-2005, 07:03 PM
amstel light is my favorite, but i'm not really into beer that much...

SunDeck
12-14-2005, 07:50 PM
Meister Brau?
There used to be a beer called braumeister. My gramps drank it. So it had to be cheap.

GAC
12-14-2005, 09:25 PM
One of the nastiest beers on the face of the earth IMO.

http://www.breweriana.com/bottles/bottleburger0126.jpg

Heath
12-15-2005, 11:08 AM

Oh come on, it was brewed with natural artesian spring water.........

Plus - it can't be all that bad if it was the Waite Hoyt/Jack Moran/Jim McIntyre/Claude Sullivan/Joe Nuxhall brew of choice, on the Burger Beer Redleg Radio Network.

:tongueincheek:

Chip R
12-15-2005, 11:27 AM

My old girlfriend's dad used to drink that. I got some just to soak bratwurst in.

beb30
12-15-2005, 11:45 AM
Anyone try Woodchuck Cider Beer..........For those of you who may not like beer this is something to give a shot especially if you like the taste of apple cider

OldRightHander
12-15-2005, 11:49 AM
My old girlfriend's dad used to drink that. I got some just to soak bratwurst in.

That's the only thing I ever buy beer for. I know some of you would consider that a waste of good beer.

Chip R
12-15-2005, 11:04 PM

I talked to my friend and he thinks it was Rhinelander.

Falls City Beer
12-15-2005, 11:32 PM

Yep. Tastes like drinking a pencil.

jmcclain19
12-15-2005, 11:42 PM

Hmm...for some reason when I think of the world's worst beer I think of this

deltachi8
12-16-2005, 10:06 AM
That's the only thing I ever buy beer for. I know some of you would consider that a waste of good beer.

I like to cook with beer as well, i find it as good as drinking it. and, I get to remember what I did that night as well.

GAC
12-16-2005, 10:37 AM

I think they also use to soak their feet in it too...before they bottled it. ;)

Cyclone792
01-29-2006, 02:38 PM
I've been on a Sam Adams Light kick recently. Not really sure why, but I've taken a liking to it. I'm not necessarily into some of the rest of the Sam Adams collection, but Sammy Light's been treating me well.

halcyon
01-29-2006, 05:10 PM
I'm 24 and just started drinking beer regularly within the past couple years. I blame graduate school.

At any rate, I've tried quite a few in that time to gauge what I liked and what I didn't. I tend to like Sammy Light and the occasional Blue Moon. I enjoyed a brew when I was in Montana this summer called Moose Drool but its obviously not sold around where I live now. A couple interesting beers I had last semester were Arrogant Bastard Ale and Ruination IPA, both brewed by Stone. Anyone ever tried those?

vaticanplum
01-29-2006, 11:49 PM
I just found this thread and it's making me all teary. And thirsty.

I don't think anyone's mentioned Stella, that's one of my long-standing favorite beers.

In general I find most light beers insufferable. I'm kind of a snob about it -- actually it's more a thing of not trusting people who drink light beer. Dude, if you're going to have a beer, have a freaking BEER, you know?

I believe that among the most tragically hip, many of whom frequented my old neighborhood in Brooklyn, PBR has passed as the poor beer of choice and they have moved onto Miller High Life, which always gave me headaches. I miss Brooklyn Lager a lot, and in general try to support my local breweries. I like Old Style more than I thought I would, although I don't like the little blue bear that appears by it in most bar windows...

My mother (who does not really enjoy beer) still drinks Little Kings.

I'm enjoying the beer history lessons by the way.

TeamCasey
01-30-2006, 07:10 AM
Lots of old upstate NY beers. I'm surprised many of you are familiar with them.

Schaefer
Utica Club
Black Label (my dad's beer)
Genesee
Pabst
Schlitz

Surprised since many are no longer around even up there.

Milwaukees Beast got me through college ...... that and Ramen noodles. I lived on $10 a week.

SunDeck
01-30-2006, 09:44 AM
I like to cook with beer as well, i find it as good as drinking it...
Same here; it takes about half a six pack to grill a coupla steaks for me and the Mrs.
:beerme:

NoCalRed
01-30-2006, 09:01 PM
I'm 24 and just started drinking beer regularly within the past couple years. I blame graduate school.

At any rate, I've tried quite a few in that time to gauge what I liked and what I didn't. I tend to like Sammy Light and the occasional Blue Moon. I enjoyed a brew when I was in Montana this summer called Moose Drool but its obviously not sold around where I live now. A couple interesting beers I had last semester were Arrogant Bastard Ale and Ruination IPA, both brewed by Stone. Anyone ever tried those?

Stone makes some good beers they had a anniversy IPA come out a while ago that was truly outstanding, take a hop heads word on it I could taste the hops before the beer got in my mouth.

I have a couple of these three litre bottles and plan on having them filled the next time I am in the San Diego area because I AM WORTHY no fizzy yellow beer for me. http://www.arrogantbastard.com/index3.html

BoydsOfSummer
02-01-2006, 12:38 AM
I read in Cincy magazine that two-thirds of Sammy Adams is brewed in Cincy at the old Hudy plant. A bit of a surprise to me for some reason.

Yachtzee
02-01-2006, 01:20 AM
I read in Cincy magazine that two-thirds of Sammy Adams is brewed in Cincy at the old Hudy plant. A bit of a surprise to me for some reason.

Yep. My cousin has been a brewer down there since right about the time Hudepohl sold the place to Sam Adams. Sometimes I get six packs of stuff they haven't come out with yet.

SunDeck
02-01-2006, 02:29 PM
I think it's actually the old Schoenling plant, isn't it? When I was a kid, my grandad bought his beer at the Hudy keg dock, down there on Gest. The Schoenling plant is on Central at Liberty...right across from the old Burger Brewery (still standing with the artesian well in the basement, so I hear.)

And speaking of Burger, from what I understand, the beer we all came to ridicule was the post-prohibition brew. Burger, Hudy and others survived by brewing near beer, which had almost no alcohol in it. It was legal, but it was also kind of tasteless as you might imagine.
After prohibition ended, they (and all the major breweries) stuck with a similar recipe, but with just a little more alcohol (max. 6%).
Anyway, the "old" Burger was your traditional, german recipe and was likely a pretty darned good product. And I believe there are some Bloatarians in town who claim to brew by the original Burger recipe.

westofyou
02-01-2006, 02:32 PM
I think it's actually the old Schoenling plant, isn't it? When I was a kid, my grandad bought his beer at the Hudy keg dock, down there on Gest. The Schoenling plant is on Central at Liberty...right across from the old Burger Brewery (still standing with the artesian well in the basement, so I hear.)
The Keg dock was an oft visit place in my day, note to all... a keg WILL make dents going outward if not secured in the trunk.

Danny Serafini
02-01-2006, 02:59 PM
I just have to say, Arrogant Bastard Ale is the most rotten, vile brew I've ever tasted. A friend of mine throws a party a couple times a year where basically we fill a giant cooler full of the nastiest, craziest, worst beers we can find and pull them out randomly. (Yes, we like to torture ourselves.) It's widely acknowledged through the years that Arrogant Bastard is the worst thing you can pull.

M2
02-01-2006, 08:56 PM
I just have to say, Arrogant Bastard Ale is the most rotten, vile brew I've ever tasted. A friend of mine throws a party a couple times a year where basically we fill a giant cooler full of the nastiest, craziest, worst beers we can find and pull them out randomly. (Yes, we like to torture ourselves.) It's widely acknowledged through the years that Arrogant Bastard is the worst thing you can pull.

I kind of fond of the Arrogant Bastard, though it's not for people who like toilet juice (e.g. Bud).

GIK
10-30-2006, 07:19 PM
Say what you will, but sometimes a cold PBR just tastes spot-on. Like right now.

cinredsfan2000
10-30-2006, 10:14 PM
I try to stay away from the mass produced stuff save for the occasional ORIG. coors. I pretty much stick to the local micro brew stuff my current fave. is saratoga lager brewed down the road in saratoga good stuff. Another top notch brew is from another local micro brew company called Cooper's Cave Ale Company heres the link for anybody who wants to check it out www.cooperscaveale.com

guttle11
10-30-2006, 10:27 PM
Say what you will, but sometimes a cold PBR just tastes spot-on. Like right now.

Yes. Yes. Yes

cinredsfan2000
10-30-2006, 10:39 PM

Ya know i honestly dont think i have ever tried P.B.R. .I know it's the retro hipster choice and all but of all the cheap beer ive tried /sampled over the years i dont recall ever having the pleasure or misfortune if you will of trying Pabst blue ribbon .:beerme:

Redsfan08
10-30-2006, 10:50 PM
Duff Beer

ghettochild
10-30-2006, 10:58 PM
shiner bock

paintmered
10-30-2006, 11:02 PM
I've never had it and hopefully there's someone on here that can give me a review of it, but Blithering Idiot is by far the best name for beer.

Yachtzee
10-30-2006, 11:04 PM
shiner bock

Good stuff.

jmcclain19
10-30-2006, 11:06 PM
This thread brings back great memories.

Keystone & Natty Light got me thru college just fine. I saw a case for sale the other night when I stopped to get some gas - 18 pack of Keystone for $8 bucks. It was a solid $5 when I was in school. And it went down like pure mountain water.

Ahh..for the days when I'd be trying to get rip roaring drunk everytime I put a beer to my lips.

Nowadays I want real taste. So I can be a bit of a beer snob. The A's Spring Training this year finally starting serving Sierra Nevada & Fat Tire - which I must say - is the best idea in the history of man.

But you'll never hear me turn down an ice cold Coors or Bud when I'm out with the guys or at a ballgame.

So I understand the sentiment GIK

jmcclain19
10-30-2006, 11:07 PM
I've never had it and hopefully there's someone on here that can give me a review of it, but Blithering Idiot is by far the best name for beer.

A friend from Montana brought me some locally brewed beer called "Moose Drool".

Still my favorite Beer name, although I wasn't all that impressed with the beer itself.

paintmered
10-30-2006, 11:07 PM
Fat Tire

I second this. Highly recommended. Too bad it isn't sold east of the Mississippi AFAIK. :(

jmcclain19
10-30-2006, 11:08 PM
Is anyone on the board an IPA fan?

I liken it to Guiness and other stouts - sometimes they sound great, other times...not so much.

jmcclain19
10-30-2006, 11:09 PM
I second this. Highly recommended. Too bad it isn't sold east of the Mississippi AFAIK. :(

paint - maybe we can work out a case or two shipped your way in exchange for some Dragons or Reds swag :thumbup:

GIK
10-30-2006, 11:09 PM
Moose Drool and Fat Tire are both excellent. I haven't had either since I moved from WA to MI. Bummer.

paintmered
10-30-2006, 11:14 PM
paint - maybe we can work out a case or two shipped your way in exchange for some Dragons or Reds swag :thumbup:

Now we're talking. :thumbup:

vaticanplum
10-30-2006, 11:19 PM

I drank so much PBR while I was living in Chicago that I think part of it is still occupying a small portion of my brain. There was a bar down the street from me that sold it in cans for a quarter on Monday-Wednesday. A quarter. And cans were never more than two dollars anywhere.

It's not a bad-tasting beer. It's not flavorful, but it doesn't taste bad. You know, I consider myself something of a beer snob, but I'll drink Budweiser or PBR especially when money is tight, and they're totally fine. The one thing I will not drink is light beer. All light beer tastes like water to me. Disgusting. I also think that drinking light beer is a indication of self-loathing and an inability to embrace all of the good things in life, but that may be just me.

jmcclain19
10-30-2006, 11:28 PM
I drank so much PBR while I was living in Chicago that I think part of it is still occupying a small portion of my brain.

"A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it's the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members."
"In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Now, as we know, excessive intake of alcohol kills brain cells. But naturally it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first."
"In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weakest brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. And that, is why you always feel smarter after a few beers."

vaticanplum
10-30-2006, 11:38 PM
"A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it's the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members."
"In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Now, as we know, excessive intake of alcohol kills brain cells. But naturally it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first."
"In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weakest brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. And that, is why you always feel smarter after a few beers."

:beerme:

Falls City Beer
10-30-2006, 11:51 PM
I drank so much PBR while I was living in Chicago that I think part of it is still occupying a small portion of my brain. There was a bar down the street from me that sold it in cans for a quarter on Monday-Wednesday. A quarter. And cans were never more than two dollars anywhere.

It's not a bad-tasting beer. It's not flavorful, but it doesn't taste bad. You know, I consider myself something of a beer snob, but I'll drink Budweiser or PBR especially when money is tight, and they're totally fine. The one thing I will not drink is light beer. All light beer tastes like water to me. Disgusting. I also think that drinking light beer is a indication of self-loathing and an inability to embrace all of the good things in life, but that may be just me.

PBR's too sweet for me. It's the Kool-Aid of beers.

westofyou
10-30-2006, 11:53 PM

Pretty much what I drink 90% of the time, I like my Hops.

Bridgeport IPA is a fave.

Yachtzee
10-31-2006, 12:00 AM

I liken it to Guiness and other stouts - sometimes they sound great, other times...not so much.

I like IPAs. Great Lakes Commodore Perry and Dogfishhead are two good ones.

GIK
10-31-2006, 12:52 AM
Hmm, I'll have to look for an IPA to try. I'm not sure I've had one, nor do I recall seeing one for sale locally. I'll have to find a specialty shop.

10-31-2006, 02:14 AM

I would give up all other fluids for an endless supply of Sierra Nevada IPA . However, my wife isn't working right now, and the kids do need food and clothes, so I drink PBR normally and only become a snob occaisionallly.

BuckWoody
10-31-2006, 10:08 AM
I haven't read through te entire thread but does anyone like a good Belgian trappist ale? I love the Chimay Grand Reserve in the blue label. I usually drink it during football season since it's dark and heavy and a little on the sweet side. A couple of these guys and I'm in a pretty good mood for quite a while. ;)
http://www.belgisk-olsalg.dk/images/chimaygr3.jpg

rdiersin
10-31-2006, 10:35 AM
One good thing, for me at least, about moving to PA is that I can get Yuengling. I'm a fan of their lager. Also I enjoy

http://www.arcadiabrewingcompany.com/images/anglerslabel.jpg

Johnny Footstool
10-31-2006, 11:26 AM
This place recently opened in KC.

http://www.yardhouse.com/default.asp

Impressive. Most impressive.

They have Murphy's Red on tap, which is probably the perfect beer, IMO. Robust flavor, but still smooth. You can get it in half-yard glasses.

They also have PBR. It's $3.75 a glass. I don't order it there.

Horrifyingly, we were in there last weekend and saw a girl get a half-yard of Bud Select.

westofyou
10-31-2006, 11:30 AM
Horrifyingly, we were in there last weekend and saw a girl get a half-yard of Bud Select.

I watched a snail crawl along the edge of a straight razor. That's my dream. That's my nightmare. Crawling, slithering, along the edge of a straight... razor... and surviving.

http://www3.telus.net/textures/images/brando_apoc.jpg

Hap
10-31-2006, 01:00 PM
Rolling Rock in a bottle.

Killian's on tap.

Sam Adams Oktoberfest on tap.

FutureRedsGM
10-31-2006, 01:29 PM
BEERS!!! One of my favorite topics!

Cooks and Natty Light guided me through college at Western Ky University for less than $10 a case.

Old Style was the drink of choice when we used to make annual trips to Wrigley.

Nowadays, I have settled into Bud Select. I used to be a Miller Light guy, but the Bud Select seems to have a little more color and flavor (though not as much as the micros that you all have been mentioning).

Great thread. Thanks for all the suggestions.

goreds2
10-31-2006, 01:42 PM
Favorite cheap beer on a college budget (early to mid 1980's):
Shaffer ($7 a case), Knicker Bocker ($6 a case) or any free keg party!

Favorite current cheap beer: Mil. Best Light or Keystone Light

Favorite mid priced beer: Miller Lite

Favorite upper priced beer: Labatts Blue or St. Pauley Girl

Great thread subject!

TeamSelig
10-31-2006, 01:47 PM
PBR is horrible IMO.... I'd rather drink this 40 that you can buy here for $1.80... its called King Cobra (10% alcohol)

Dom Heffner
10-31-2006, 01:51 PM
I'm really not sure how anyone can think beer tastes "good."

I think of good, I think of Mountain Dew.

Never, ever would I sit and drink 12 Mountain Dews, even if they were a nickel a piece.

With beer, it's all about the buzz. :)

TeamSelig
10-31-2006, 01:53 PM
Thanks for bringing this thread back up btw now I'm going to get drunk tonight and probably miss classes tomorrow

westofyou
10-31-2006, 02:00 PM

Then you aren't drinking the right beer.

Personally I don't touch any mass produced beer. only Micro Brews.

SunDeck
10-31-2006, 02:25 PM
Personally I don't touch any mass produced beer. only Micro Brews.

If I place a Guinness, Harp, Bass, or New Castle in front of you- you'll refuse?

And speaking of IPA- I have 20 liters of american IPA racked in my basement. Nothing beats beer you brew yourself. Except beer brewed by a neighbor, according to mine...

RFS62
10-31-2006, 05:17 PM
http://beeradvocate.com/

westofyou
10-31-2006, 05:18 PM
If I place a Guinness, Harp, Bass, or New Castle in front of you- you'll refuse?Only Harp, but beers from the other side of the pond tend to have craftmanship, mass produced beers here have none of that.

jmcclain19
10-31-2006, 05:21 PM
Only Harp, but beers from the other side of the pond tend to have craftmanship, mass produced beers here have none of that.

mmm..a hoppy beer with some mellow undertones of sweat and elbow grease :)

westofyou
10-31-2006, 05:27 PM
This is where pedro and I do our Beer tasting

http://www.newoldlompoc.com/hhhousehome.html

SunDeck
10-31-2006, 05:33 PM
This is where pedro and I do our Beer tasting

http://www.newoldlompoc.com/hhhousehome.html

Here's where I do mine:

http://www.fotosearch.com/comp/STK/STK005/SNI1035.jpg

I'm the one holding the remote. Notice the pallette cleansing snacks. Gotta have a cleansed pallette to really capture the initial taste.

westofyou
10-31-2006, 05:40 PM
Gotta have a cleansed pallette to really capture the initial taste.Wasabi Funyons are great. BTW the greenery in the patio photos is all hops.

Worst thing about the joint is that the owner is from Pittsburgh... and therfore it's a Steelers bar.

SunDeck
10-31-2006, 05:43 PM
BTW the greenery in the patio photos is all hops.

The greenery in my photo is...crunk.

BRM
10-31-2006, 05:43 PM
Here's where I do mine:

http://www.fotosearch.com/comp/STK/STK005/SNI1035.jpg

I'm the one holding the remote. Notice the pallette cleansing snacks. Gotta have a cleansed pallette to really capture the initial taste.

Looks like me on a typical Saturday night. :laugh:

Johnny Footstool
10-31-2006, 05:45 PM
Only Harp, but beers from the other side of the pond tend to have craftmanship, mass produced beers here have none of that.

So it's craft brew you like, not necessarily micro.

BRM
10-31-2006, 05:48 PM
I guess I'm just not very picky. There are very few beers I won't drink. My favorite has always been free beer.

westofyou
10-31-2006, 05:50 PM
So it's craft brew you like, not necessarily micro.True, I like my beer to have a deep taste, I'm not a fan of lagers, but if I have one I prefer German or Czech. I like stouts and porters alot too, but IPA has been the prefered type the past couple of years.

Johnny Footstool
10-31-2006, 06:15 PM
True, I like my beer to have a deep taste, I'm not a fan of lagers, but if I have one I prefer German or Czech. I like stouts and porters alot too, but IPA has been the prefered type the past couple of years.

I'm a fan of flavor, but not hops. I prefer amber and brown ales. I can usually enjoy one porter or stout per sitting -- more than that and I stop liking it. A mild lager makes for a nice chaser to top off the evening. I don't like IPAs at all -- just too painful.

westofyou
10-31-2006, 06:28 PM
I don't like IPAs at all -- just too painful.

Hops are the brie of the beer world, they can sit too deeply on your tongue for hours, a good example of death can be found in sucking down a mess of Terminal Gravity IPA.

They take their beer seriously here in the land of trees and water.

http://portlandbeer.org/

NoCalRed
10-31-2006, 06:47 PM
True, I like my beer to have a deep taste, I'm not a fan of lagers, but if I have one I prefer German or Czech. I like stouts and porters alot too, but IPA has been the prefered type the past couple of years.

I too have considered myself a hop head for a few years now. I usually switch off between different brands once I tire of one or find another that I like better. The one I am on now is Bear Republics Racer5 http://www.bearrepublic.com/ourbeers.php.

However the best one I have ever had was a anniversary IPA made by Stone Brewery a couple of years back. It was so hoppy that you could taste the hops before the beer even got in your mouth, it was like the aroma jumped out of the beer and through your nose into your mouth.

westofyou
10-31-2006, 06:50 PM
I too have considered myself a hop head for a few years now. I usually switch off between different brands once I tire of one or find another that I like better. The one I am on now is Bear Republics Racer5 http://www.bearrepublic.com/ourbeers.php.

However the best one I have ever had was a anniversary IPA made by Stone Brewery a couple of years back. It was so hoppy that you could taste the hops before the beer even got in your mouth, it was like the aroma jumped out of the beer and through your nose into your mouth.

Racer 5 rocks, big time I get that when in Oakland all the time.... Stone makes a the arrongant brand and yes, they are hoppy.

OldRightHander
10-31-2006, 07:17 PM
I like my Hops.

I used to, but with putting on weight and my knees not being as good as they used to be, I just don't don't get off the ground like I used to.

Yachtzee
10-31-2006, 08:12 PM
By the way, for Ohioans, Anheuser Busch has a beer on tap at select locations called Burning Helles. Check it out at http://www.originalbeers.com/. I normally do not drink AB products, but I recommend this one, as it was created by my friend Bill, a brewer at the Columbus AB brewery. Of course, since he's a member of the union, he gets zero credit from management on this. In any case, it's a helles bock beer, with over 7% alcohol. It's good, but it will knock you on your butt if you go crazy with it.

jmcclain19
10-31-2006, 09:25 PM
http://beeradvocate.com/

That's a great site.

I'd also recommend

http://www.realbeer.com/

&

http://www.ratebeer.com/

MaineRed
11-01-2006, 08:02 AM
My crowd sticks to the toilet water up here.

BuckWoody
11-01-2006, 08:38 AM
My crowd sticks to the toilet water up here.
:confused:

Johnny Footstool
11-01-2006, 06:34 PM
By the way, for Ohioans, Anheuser Busch has a beer on tap at select locations called Burning Helles. Check it out at http://www.originalbeers.com/. I normally do not drink AB products, but I recommend this one, as it was created by my friend Bill, a brewer at the Columbus AB brewery. Of course, since he's a member of the union, he gets zero credit from management on this. In any case, it's a helles bock beer, with over 7% alcohol. It's good, but it will knock you on your butt if you go crazy with it.

AB puts out a very decent holiday sample pack. Their Marzen is surprisingly good.

GIK
11-01-2006, 06:56 PM
Here's the best bar in downtown Detroit:

http://www.oldshillelagh.com/

I'll be there Friday night. :beerme:

jmcclain19
05-26-2007, 05:27 AM
A high end liquor store near me started carrying DogFishHead's Raison D'Etre, a brand I've heard and read quite a bit about and figured that would be as good as any to start me off.

I just put it in the fridge to give it a whirl tomorrow.

I saw a few other brands that caught my eye (the beer club at the store issues taste ratings that I was eyeballing) I figured I would ask the general populace about to see if any of you have tried these.

-Anchor Steam's Porter
-Any of the "Alaskan" stable of beers
-Belhaven's Scottish Ale
-Any of Bert Grants IPAs or Scottish Ales

RawOwl UK
05-26-2007, 06:34 AM
Can you get Magner's cider over there ? mmmmm the ice makes it though.

Sea Ray
05-26-2007, 01:21 PM
Cheap beer: Definitely Rolling Rock, hands down, very underated.

Non Cheap Beer: Sam Adams, Red Stripe, Dinkel Acker Pils

You and I would have a fun night on the town...:beerme:

For my money, nobody does beer like the Germans. My #1 choice is Dinkel Acker, but that doesn't keep me from my lifelong quest to top it.;) I'm a Pilsner/lager kind of guy. I agree, for the money, you can't beat Rolling Rock. Sam Adams is good too and I'll throw in Miller MGD.

The Mexicans are very underrated in their ability to brew beer too. Corona and others are very good.

The Italians are horrible with their beer. They use Peroni as their standard and it's not good. When I was in Italy I had to drink Heineken 'cause the Italian beer was so undrinkable

RawOwl UK
05-26-2007, 02:36 PM
You and I would have a fun night on the town...:beerme:

For my money, nobody does beer like the Germans. My #1 choice is Dinkel Acker, but that doesn't keep me from my lifelong quest to top it.;) I'm a Pilsner/lager kind of guy. I agree, for the money, you can't beat Rolling Rock. Sam Adams is good too and I'll throw in Miller MGD.

The Mexicans are very underrated in their ability to brew beer too. Corona and others are very good.

The Italians are horrible with their beer. They use Peroni as their standard and it's not good. When I was in Italy I had to drink Heineken 'cause the Italian beer was so undrinkable

Have you tried Nastro Azzurro Sea Ray ? Usually have a bottle if I go in a certain bar in town, as the draft beers they serve are poor.

http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews9627.html

TeamSelig
05-26-2007, 03:29 PM
Just an update on my beer drinking, which has slowed to near nonexistent due to married life. Been drinkin Busch Light.. not too bad. In the bottle it tastes pretty yummy (mostly getting cans though as I am poor)

SunDeck
05-26-2007, 04:07 PM
Lennie's is on my way home from work, now. This is very dangerous because it is also the home of the Bloomington Brewing Company. I'm a fan of their pale ale (http://bbc.bloomington.com/beers/pale/paletext.html)...

I may be pushing 200 pounds by the end of the year...

Just an update on my beer drinking, which has slowed to near nonexistent due to married life.

How'd that happen? There are some things you need to discuss before the nuptials TS.

Sea Ray
05-27-2007, 02:35 PM
Have you tried Nastro Azzurro Sea Ray ? Usually have a bottle if I go in a certain bar in town, as the draft beers they serve are poor.

http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews9627.html

I'm not sure that I have. Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a try.

BTW, I noticed Rolling Rock draft at the Taste of Cincinnati yesterday. I don't recall ever seeing it at a Cincinnati festival before. I found it interesting that the Rolling Rock was cheaper than water. Yeah that's right. A 16 oz draft of Rolling Rock was $3.00 and a 16 oz of bottled water was $3.25. How 'bout that?

Yachtzee
05-27-2007, 10:02 PM
I'm not sure that I have. Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a try.

BTW, I noticed Rolling Rock draft at the Taste of Cincinnati yesterday. I don't recall ever seeing it at a Cincinnati festival before. I found it interesting that the Rolling Rock was cheaper than water. Yeah that's right. A 16 oz draft of Rolling Rock was $3.00 and a 16 oz of bottled water was $3.25. How 'bout that?

It's owned by Anheiser-Busch now. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolling_Rock

George Anderson
05-27-2007, 11:40 PM
If you are into imports try a Russian beer called Baltika. My wife and I ventured over to St. Petersburg, Russia in October of 05' and really enjoyed it. Try the Baltika #9, the alcohol content is like 7%. One beer can knock you on your keester!!! :beerme:

BoydsOfSummer
05-28-2007, 08:03 PM
I tried some of the Great Lakes Brewery's offerings saturday. The Burning River pale ale was pretty good. And I also tried the Edmund Fitzgerald porter which I didn't like as well. But I'm not a big fan of porters to begin with. Heavy coffee-like flavor to it.

Grande Donkey
05-28-2007, 08:27 PM
Im a big fan of Yuengleng

BRM
05-29-2007, 12:01 PM
Just an update on my beer drinking, which has slowed to near nonexistent due to married life. Been drinkin Busch Light.. not too bad. In the bottle it tastes pretty yummy (mostly getting cans though as I am poor)

I've been drinking Busch Light lately, mostly due to financial constraints. It's actually pretty good for a "cheap" beer. Then again, I can drink almost anything.

Yachtzee
05-29-2007, 06:00 PM
Had a graduation party last week, so I still have some Sam Adams left over in the keg, along with some gifts of Brooklyn Brewing Co. Summer Ale, Lion Stout, Arrogant Bastard Ale, Magic Hat #9, and an assortment of Bavarian and Austrian beers. I also have some Miller Lite and Budweiser brought by friends who couldn't handle the Sammy. Looks like I've got some beer to keep me company this summer.

OSUmed2010
05-29-2007, 10:03 PM
Anything that says malt liquor on it is fine by me :cool:

But really... I'll drink just about anything.

justincredible
05-29-2007, 10:08 PM
Yuengling is my favorite. Since I don't get it very often I usually drink Miller Lite, Molson, or Blue Moon. Gulden Draak is good every once in a while.

sonny
05-30-2007, 06:34 AM
OPB- Other people's beer

smith288
05-30-2007, 10:55 PM
Beer sucks.

Crap makes me sick to my stomach.

And sonny, if you mention Zima or Jack D's downhome punch, it wont bother me. I stopped caring what other people think about my drinking habits around 1999. ;)

sonny
05-31-2007, 04:20 AM
Beer sucks.

Crap makes me sick to my stomach.

And sonny, if you mention Zima or Jack D's downhome punch, it wont bother me. I stopped caring what other people think about my drinking habits around 1999. ;)

*strokes chin*

then

*chortles slightly*

DTCromer
05-31-2007, 07:44 AM
Miller Chill

bucksfan2
06-01-2007, 11:41 AM
My favorites are Amstel Light, Miller Lite, Stella, and Fat Tire. Unfortunatly Fat Tire is only available west of the Mississippi.

KittyDuran
07-15-2007, 12:14 PM
Bumping this up to announce that I will be drinking a beer after 15 years and it will be a

http://www.bfmws.ie/images/internal/img40.jpg

Parents are fixing tacos with roast beef...:beerme:

vaticanplum
07-15-2007, 01:24 PM
:beerme: Kitty!

pedro
07-15-2007, 01:48 PM
I ha d a few Sierra Nevada's last night. Good stuff that Chico Budweiser.

Chi-Town Red
07-15-2007, 02:07 PM
Blue Moon...with a wedge of orange:thumbup:

KittyDuran
07-15-2007, 06:06 PM
Bumping this up to announce that I will be drinking a beer after 15 years and it will be a

http://www.bfmws.ie/images/internal/img40.jpg

Parents are fixing tacos with roast beef...:beerme:AND I'm reminded why I never liked beer in the first place.... YUCK! Guess I'll stick with wine and hard liquor...:all_cohol

TeamSelig
07-16-2007, 01:59 PM
I'm not a big fan of Corona, but it isn't bad with salt on the bottle. Takes the bitterness away.

bucksfan2
07-16-2007, 03:28 PM
Im either a Miller Lite fan or Amstel Light. I also enjoy Fat Tire but that is only sold on the wrong side of the Mississippi.

BRM
07-16-2007, 03:30 PM
I'm just a beer fan. There aren't many brands that I won't drink.

Puffy
07-16-2007, 03:38 PM
I've been on an Amber Bock kick lately.

Also really enjoy Smithwick's

jimbo
07-16-2007, 03:50 PM
Anybody ever have one of these?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v303/jimbodude/landshark_lager.jpg

I had a friend of mine just come back from vacation in Myrtle Beach. He was at Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville down there and I guess there is now a Margaritaville brewery and Landshark Lager is their signature beer. I really liked it, although I am easy to please when it comes to beer. It reminds you a lot of Corona, which is not surprising, and even has that same look. If you put a shot of tequila in it, it's called a Loaded Landshark. I haven't been able to find it around here yet, but hopefully it will make it's way here eventually.

www.landsharklager.com/

Roy Tucker
07-16-2007, 03:59 PM
Also really enjoy Smithwick's

At the local pub my wife and I frequent (http://thebrazenhead.com/), she has really developed a taste for Smithwick's and loves it.

The first time she ordered it, the waiter blurted out "but that's a guy beer". Like she was supposed to order Hibiscus Light or something.

The same waiter also got radiation burns from a subsequent Roy skunk eye. To his credit, he got the hint and brought us 2 pints on the house.

Matt700wlw
07-16-2007, 04:02 PM
I know there has to be some beer drinkers on Redszone.

Redszone is a non-drinking environment

Puffy
07-16-2007, 04:08 PM
Anybody ever have one of these?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v303/jimbodude/landshark_lager.jpg

I had a friend of mine just come back from vacation in Myrtle Beach. He was at Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville down there and I guess there is now a Margaritaville brewery and Landshark Lager is their signature beer. I really liked it, although I am easy to please when it comes to beer. It reminds you a lot of Corona, which is not surprising, and even has that same look. If you put a shot of tequila in it, it's called a Loaded Landshark. I haven't been able to find it around here yet, but hopefully it will make it's way here eventually.

www.landsharklager.com/

We have it down here, although that could be because I live on the beach.

But its good stuff. Not great, but good.

BRM
07-16-2007, 04:09 PM
Redszone is a non-drinking environment

I'm sorry. I couldn't hear you over the sound of my beer can cracking open.

westofyou
07-16-2007, 04:13 PM
It was 103 for a couple days last week, this is my hot weather choice.

http://www.novusvinum.com/images/beer/summerbeers/sierranevada.jpg

Johnny Footstool
07-16-2007, 05:18 PM
I miss Pete's Wicked Summer Brew.

pedro
07-16-2007, 05:22 PM

They don't make that anymore? What a shame.

Johnny Footstool
07-16-2007, 05:56 PM
They don't make that anymore? What a shame.

Nope. They changed the name and the recipe. It's now "Rally Cap Ale", and I believe they added some coriander to spice it up. I hate coriander.

Roy Tucker
07-16-2007, 06:00 PM
Sam Adams' Summer Ale is pretty good stuff.

M2
07-16-2007, 06:07 PM

They used to sell it in 30-can megacases. Spent the summer of 1996 rotating between that and Labatt's Blue (also conveniently sold in 30-can megacases). On a slow day, my housemates and I would polish one off. We didn't have a lot of slow days.

Johnny Footstool
07-16-2007, 06:38 PM
They used to sell it in 30-can megacases. Spent the summer of 1996 rotating between that and Labatt's Blue (also conveniently sold in 30-can megacases). On a slow day, my housemates and I would polish one off. We didn't have a lot of slow days.

Summer Brew in a can? Wow. That's perfect.

I only ever saw it in bottles.

improbus
07-16-2007, 11:22 PM
St. Peter's Porter

http://www.stpetersbrewery.co.uk/store/uploads/images_products_large/150.jpg

07-17-2007, 02:36 AM

I think of good, I think of Mountain Dew.

Never, ever would I sit and drink 12 Mountain Dews, even if they were a nickel a piece.

With beer, it's all about the buzz. :)

My brother is a biker. Not one of those yuppie kind of Harley enthusiasts, but one of those real outlaw bikers. He's never been in any real trouble, mostly because he has been lucky, but several of his friends have been in and out of prison. One of his friends is this old guy. Used to be in the Outlaws, or one of those clubs. He did time in solitary, too. He and his old lady I guess are retirement age, and they quit drinking. Now they drink Diet Pepsi like they used to drink beer. My brother says with people living this lifestyle, it is kind of an insult to decline something offered. He goes to their house, and they are popping him open another Diet Pepsi before he has his current one finished. He says he has left their house feeling sick after drinking 12 of them.

GSURedsfan
07-17-2007, 01:32 PM
Leinenkugel Sunset Wheat is possibly the greatest Alcoholic Beverage I have EVER tasted.

Brent

WebScorpion
07-20-2007, 10:42 AM
I can't believe I've never responded on this thread...

I love a good beer, and I usually don't like one beer to taste just like the beer I just had. Right now I have Guinness, Yuengling Black & Tan, Fosters, and Sol in my fridge...you never know what kinda mood you're going to be in! Anyway, I love a good porter - Smuttynose Robust Porter would be my choice. Also, in the same area (New Hampshire) is the Red Hook brewery...best IPA I've ever had, EVER! Dang, I'm working up a thirst here. Oh, for Canadian beer, Labatt's and Molson are excellent, but I prefer a Moosehead. Almost all of Sam Adams selections are good. Guinness and Smithwick's, of course...but they are definitely better in Great Britain. I did actually have a bad Guinness in a little pub in Leicester, England...it was not a very well-kept place, so we attributed it to dirty lines. Oh, gosh! I could go on and on, but what I really wanted were some good local brews to look out for in Denver, CO and Seattle, WA. My next two stops for work, and I always try a few local brews...I just hate to miss something as excellent as a well brewed beer. :beerme:

rude
07-20-2007, 11:35 AM
Guinness

vaticanplum
07-20-2007, 08:38 PM
I can't believe I've never responded on this thread...

I love a good beer, and I usually don't like one beer to taste just like the beer I just had. Right now I have Guinness, Yuengling Black & Tan, Fosters, and Sol in my fridge...you never know what kinda mood you're going to be in! Anyway, I love a good porter - Smuttynose Robust Porter would be my choice. Also, in the same area (New Hampshire) is the Red Hook brewery...best IPA I've ever had, EVER! Dang, I'm working up a thirst here. Oh, for Canadian beer, Labatt's and Molson are excellent, but I prefer a Moosehead. Almost all of Sam Adams selections are good. Guinness and Smithwick's, of course...but they are definitely better in Great Britain. I did actually have a bad Guinness in a little pub in Leicester, England...it was not a very well-kept place, so we attributed it to dirty lines. Oh, gosh! I could go on and on, but what I really wanted were some good local brews to look out for in Denver, CO and Seattle, WA. My next two stops for work, and I always try a few local brews...I just hate to miss something as excellent as a well brewed beer. :beerme:

Oh my god, I used to drink Sol all the time. I had almost forgotten about it. It was typically a nightcap, 4 am bar kind of beer, lighter than the rest...heck, I probably considered it my version of drinking water before bed to lessen the hangover. Cripes, no wonder I'd forgotten it.

sonny
07-23-2007, 05:25 AM
There something to be said about a super ice cold Miller Light. Not my favorite, but man does that hit the spot sometimes!