PDA

View Full Version : The RedsZone Review, 2005

GIK
12-16-2005, 10:57 AM
As 2005 comes to a close, we've all seen some pretty big changes here. Most have been structurally, with the formation of the two baseball forums - ORG and Reds Live. In addition, the subscription system was abandoned ('original' fund drive for '06?), the HOF forum was closed, a reputation system implemented, a new T-shirt printed and political/religious topics are now bantered back and forth on the Peanut Gallery (offsite).

Have these changes been beneficial? Have they brought more enjoyment to your use of RedsZone? Are there areas you feel need improvement or flat out dislike?

How has RedsZone treated you in 2005?

-GIK/Matt

Blimpie
12-16-2005, 11:25 AM
More cowbell.

MrCinatit
12-16-2005, 11:25 AM
i think i began lurking in Feb., and joined in April - so unfortunately i cannot differentiate between the site of old and the site of new.
that said, i must say i've quite enjoyed my nine months here. obviously, this is a very tight knit, yet very diverse group. this site has become my second "home away from home" site, after a gaming site.
i do remember early on after i had joined witnessing many "train-wreck" moments, where threads seemed to be spiraling out of control, both in off-topic and in the baseball-related forums.
i think the reputation system and introduction of the Reds Live and Old Reds Guard boards have bought a bit of civilization to the site. while there are many who say there are not interested in receiving rep points (myself included), i do believe they have kept many of us in check (myself included). and though i've never been negged, i like to think those who have negged others have done so in a most helpful method - unless on a lost cause.
as for keeping politics and religion out of the forums, i believe this has also helped. sure, they made entertaining reads - for a period of time. but eventually, some became painful to watch. my sympathy goes out to the moderators, as i've been subjected to editing similar trainwrecks - it is not as fun as it sounds. egos became bruised, and a couple times it seemed the sour feelings spilled into the baseball threads.
improvements? i don't know. how about a better pitching staff, and some willingness to tie up some of our younger players to long-term contracts :p:

zombie-a-go-go
12-16-2005, 03:13 PM
The mods suck.

Falls City Beer
12-16-2005, 03:31 PM
I still say that losing the political threads sucks when this team is about as exciting as a torrid case of pinworms.

In the end, the exodus to the offsite was inauspicious. To say the least.

GIK
12-16-2005, 03:41 PM
Definitely fair criticism, FCB.

flyer85
12-16-2005, 03:44 PM
"They spy on me, I try to hide, they won’t let me alone.
They persecute me, they’re the judge and jury all in one.

’cause they’re waiting for me.
They’re looking for me."

Boss-Hog
12-16-2005, 04:05 PM
I still say that losing the political threads sucks when this team is about as exciting as a torrid case of pinworms.

In the end, the exodus to the offsite was inauspicious. To say the least.
I guess I don't understand why it's an issue to discuss the same topics with the same people on a separate forum that's literally a click away and is linked from this board?

redsfanmia
12-16-2005, 04:05 PM
"They spy on me, I try to hide, they won’t let me alone.
They persecute me, they’re the judge and jury all in one.

’cause they’re waiting for me.
They’re looking for me."
Come on man leave the Dream Police out of this.

KronoRed
12-16-2005, 04:07 PM
We are pleased.

Red Leader
12-16-2005, 04:10 PM
We are pleased.

By "we", you mean the Redszone 10, right?

I don't remember you being appointed spokeman at our last meeting.... :mooner:

There have been lots of changes this year, but I think change is good. As it stands today, I like the site a lot more now than I did at the same time a year ago.

Red in Chicago
12-16-2005, 04:12 PM
I guess I don't understand why it's an issue to discuss the same topics with the same people on a separate forum that's literally a click away and is linked from this board?

wow, after all this time, i never even noticed the peanut gallery...thanks for bringing this up...i just signed up there...

Johnny Footstool
12-16-2005, 04:14 PM
I think it's a bit of a hassle to have discussions on the same topic taking place on different boards. I don't mind the segregated political discussions, though.

KronoRed
12-16-2005, 04:36 PM
By "we", you mean the Redszone 10, right?

No, me and my pet hamster Bonita.

Red Leader
12-16-2005, 04:45 PM
No, me and my pet hamster Bonita.

http://shiinaland.canalblog.com/Danseurs.jpg

Falls City Beer
12-16-2005, 04:47 PM

I don't know why most of the conservatives (and even some liberals) didn't make it to the other board, but they didn't or haven't or won't....

But it has been just as Rojo predicted: a liberal echo chamber (with the bold exceptions of GAC and traderumor).

But I'm not trying to start this argument over again--you guys just handed out the comment cards and the tiny golf pencils. I commented. I'll leave it at that.

KronoRed
12-16-2005, 04:53 PM
I think it's a bit of a hassle to have discussions on the same topic taking place on different boards. I don't mind the segregated political discussions, though.
If their was a way to have account automatically port over so people wouldn't have to register again I think it would would help, but both boards run completely different software so I doubt it can be done.

TeamCasey
12-16-2005, 05:26 PM
I haven't been around much so I probably should shut up.

Those who know me, know it just isn't possible. :)

I don't care about the rep system and all that. I like that there are 2 forums simply for the reason that there are so many members. The board grew so much that one forum was too crowded. Splitting the forums cut down on the "noise". I read both forums. One isn't better than the other. The threads are shorter even if they may be duplicates. I see the rep system as a useful tool to simply divide up the numbers.

I also think newer people are more comfortable posting than they were before. I think a lot of people post that may have only lurked before.

Redsfaithful
12-16-2005, 08:52 PM
I don't know why most of the conservatives (and even some liberals) didn't make it to the other board, but they didn't or haven't or won't....

But it has been just as Rojo predicted: a liberal echo chamber (with the bold exceptions of GAC and traderumor).

But I'm not trying to start this argument over again--you guys just handed out the comment cards and the tiny golf pencils. I commented. I'll leave it at that.

I agree. Not complaining or anything, but I just figured I'd chime in since you're asking for feedback.

captainmorgan07
12-16-2005, 09:09 PM
i haven't been around that long but i like the site everythings works goods

GAC
12-17-2005, 07:21 AM

I agree. Let someone else babysit. You guys have better things to do. I think that is what it simply boiled down to - not having the time to oversee and moderate those discussions which were getting out of hand. Plus - and I may be wrong on this - has it helped alleviate our server/bandwidth problems?

The other forum, while it does have moderators, pretty much lets the people "go at it" with little or no moderation. Unless of course it is being done privately. ;)

It's simply a click away, just as the other forums are. No problem.

UKFlounder
12-17-2005, 09:38 AM
I still like the site, but have spent much less time here this year, particularly late in the season & the postseason, due to the actual content, not the changes or how it is organized.

Of course, that is due to the poor play by the Reds & their lack of success, which naturally leads fans to complain & be negative, so I don't mean to criticize the posters here - they're doing what fans naturally do - but it does make the site less enjoyable for me.

I also think there are some of the negative topics that go to far - the constant ridicule of O'Brien & refusal to even consider that any of his moves might work, and the same thing about Rich Aurillia. I thought he had a decent season for the Reds last year, yet every time his name is mentioned, it's treated as though the world might end if the Reds re-sign him (for instance, the reference to Womack as "this year's Aurillia" signing.)

Perhaps I'm just too much of a Reds homer or too ignorant to see that all these other folks are always right, but it's just not as fun a site for me when so much cynicism takes over, though I really have no way of countering it logically, given the Reds' recent records.

In other words, I still like the site, but would love it even more if the Reds could make the season more interesting.

The changes in format, removing the political & longer threads, etc, are fine, especially since I was one of those who qualified for the ORG forum.

Boss-Hog
12-17-2005, 10:23 AM

Fair enough. I wasn't trying to turn this into an argument thread - I was just seeking clarification for something I've never understood what the big deal was.

RFS62
12-17-2005, 10:52 AM
I think the changes rejuvinated the board. It was truly painful to read the baseball forum before the changes.

It certainly caused me to start posting again.

And I can see why the mods didn't want to have to read all the political and religious threads. What I can't understand is why the former participants in those threads didn't make the one click jump to the other board, where it's much more loosly moderated. Maybe they all don't know about it, maybe some kind of information sticky would help direct traffic there, I don't know.

I think the negativity of the board in general is a reflection of the massive suckage we've been watching on the field. Dissatisfaction with the Reds is perfectly appropriate, given the way they've been playing.

It's not their fault, I don't doubt the effort level. I question the competence of the front office, though, and they're fair game after the Milton and Ortiz acquisitions last year. You live by the sword, and you die by the sword. They got a tremendous bounce in public opinion when they acquired them, and a tremendous downturn as we watched them implode.

I think the board is as good as it could be given the product we're reviewing.

Boss-Hog
12-17-2005, 11:01 AM
And I can see why the mods didn't want to have to read all the political and religious threads. What I can't understand is why the former participants in those threads didn't make the one click jump to the other board, where it's much more loosly moderated. Maybe they all don't know about it, maybe some kind of information sticky would help direct traffic there, I don't know.

There is a sticky in the non-baseball forum that explains the political thread changes and has a link to the off board site.

Falls City Beer
12-17-2005, 11:03 AM

Good lord, yes. There's nothing wrong with the board as a sports' board. It's as good as the awful product on the field could possibly anticipate.

REDREAD
12-18-2005, 12:51 AM
I liked it better when there was only one baseball forum. It was easier to read, but I'm not complaining.. however you guys want to do it.

RedsBaron
12-18-2005, 05:41 AM
I have no complaints. I've never really seen all that much point to the rep system, other than to provide a basis for limiting those who are given access to the ORG forum, but I have no objection to the rep system either.
I regularly visit the peanut gallery, primarily to post on the song, movie and word association threads with Sweetstop and Bob Borkowski. I've occassionally posted on the Gem and I monitor some of the political and/or religious threads, but I don't feel the same compulsion to join in on political/religious matters there as I did when those matters were on the main board.
Some topics have been beaten to death here, but really the greatest shortcoming on this board is something none of us can do anything about: The Reds are not contenders and do not appear to be likely to be contenders for some time. Posters here tend to be negative because as Reds fans they have a lot to be negative about.

UKFlounder
12-18-2005, 03:03 PM

I can't dispute that.

OldRightHander
12-18-2005, 03:41 PM
Before the changes, I posted little and even came less often because of a lot of the negativity. When the change first happened, I was just a bit miffed at first because I thought, "I've been around here a couple years. Why can't I post where I want?" Anyway, it didn't take long to see that the changes improved the board, and that is a good thing. This is a much better place to discuss baseball, and a host of other topics, than it was before.

wolfboy
12-19-2005, 04:41 PM
I haven't been around much so I probably should shut up.

Those who know me, know it just isn't possible. :)

I don't care about the rep system and all that. I like that there are 2 forums simply for the reason that there are so many members. The board grew so much that one forum was too crowded. Splitting the forums cut down on the "noise". I read both forums. One isn't better than the other. The threads are shorter even if they may be duplicates. I see the rep system as a useful tool to simply divide up the numbers.

I also think newer people are more comfortable posting than they were before. I think a lot of people post that may have only lurked before.

On the flip side, a lot of people that used to post are much more prone to lurking.

TeamCasey
12-19-2005, 05:31 PM
On the flip side, a lot of people that used to post are much more prone to lurking.

:laugh: I suppose that's true enough. I hadn't thought about it that way.

I don't think it's due to any of the board structural changes though.

Spring~Fields
12-20-2005, 11:42 AM
I think that my reading experience with Redszone is much better now that the changes have been expedited. I believe that the writing quality has improved, the input level is more interesting and of course that makes the board a far better source all around for anyone just wanting to enjoy reading what others think and feel on a given baseball subject. An added plus is that we/I can all learn something from the input of Steel and other contributors now more readily.

Politics belongs on the front page of newspapers across America or CNN and FOX, along with the rest of the doom and gloom not on a sports entertainment venue. Sharing entertainment thoughts and feelings and doom and gloom politics don’t belong together.

Note: I have been feeling some abandonment issues and neglect from GIK and Boss though…….. :( ;)

flyer85
12-20-2005, 05:10 PM
Peace, love, joy ... hugs for everyone.:mooner:

savafan
12-21-2005, 12:03 PM
I think that the split forum and reputation idea was successful, in that it has done what it set out to do...put an end to trolling. I'm afraid that if we went back to the way things were before, the trolling would just start right back up again.

I find myself to be a happier person by avoiding the political and religous threads. ;)

Unassisted
12-23-2005, 05:43 PM
I think one of the biggest changes that made a difference has not even been mentioned. Previously, guests could read any post in the 3 open forums. Now they can only read the ORG. IMO, hiding more than 50% of the content behind a barrier brought more registered users.

I changed my own approach to how I use the board almost as much as the board changed this year.

Mostly for personal productivity reasons, I stopped reading the Peanut Gallery a few weeks before the move of political/religious threads over there. Consequently, I've stayed out of the political/religious discussions that migrated. (I'd like to think my contributions to those threads are part of what's been mentioned as being missed.) Since the subject matter of most threads I started on the non-baseball side is now verboten, I focus on starting threads with Reds news or media mentions of former Reds.

I've noticed that there are some posters I used to see on here with regularity (RosieRed, lgj and SuperBarry11) whose appearances are rare now. Since the posters who came to mind all happen to be female, I wonder if the changes have made the board less diverse?

Interestingly, another board I frequent just this week booted off religious and political posts. The other board's reasons were similar, so RedsZone may unwittingly be part of a larger trend.

RosieRed
12-24-2005, 03:12 PM
I've noticed that there are some posters I used to see on here with regularity (RosieRed, lgj and SuperBarry11) whose appearances are rare now. Since the posters who came to mind all happen to be female, I wonder if the changes have made the board less diverse?

I'm still around. :)

I know I haven't been posting much, but I do still read. I'm sure I'll jump back into posting soon enough. I guess I just haven't had much to say. (How unlike me!)

As an aside, did you know that if you don't post on here for a while you get greeted with this message?
"Hello RosieRed it appears that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with other members in one of our forums?"

:laugh:

Anyway, the changes to RZ have nothing to do with my not posting; I've just been busyish and quiet.

GIK and Boss, as always, thanks for keeping this place running.

SteelSD
12-25-2005, 02:14 AM
As an aside, did you know that if you don't post on here for a while you get greeted with this message?

"Hello RosieRed it appears that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with other members in one of our forums?"

I heard that Krono got a similar prefabricated message while logging in a little while back. Allegedly, his message read:

"Dude...SLOW DOWN!"

;)

KronoRed
12-25-2005, 02:40 AM
Not uh.

I never log out ;)

marcshoe
12-25-2005, 11:21 PM
I've been posting more than I have before, mostly because, after hitting 200 points, I feel like I need to take advantage of the opportunity. Of course this has meant quite a few posts of little consequence.

This is a very good board. I've posted on quite a few discussion boards, and too often the boards disentigrate into abosolute worthlessness. I'm sure many here remember the Cincinnati.com board (I posted there under another name). Unfortunatedly what happened there seems to be the rule rather than the exception.

Those who run this board do a fantastic job maintaining it as a thing of value. All of us who post here are extremely lucky, I think. The quality of the information that can be found here shouldn't be taken for granted.

UncleB
12-27-2005, 12:11 PM
Hello everybody. I am a Reds fan living in Nashville, TN, so I rely on the Reds website and this forum to keep up with everything. I hope everyone has had a great Christmas, and I look forward to talking about all things pertaining to the Reds really soon. I guess I will now go to the baseball discussions and get some questions answered (i.e. wasn't the money we saved in the Casey deal going toward free agent starting pitchers?).