PDA

View Full Version : What Christmas gift disappointed you the most?

macro
12-19-2005, 12:29 PM
Not looking for the obvious things here: cheap cologne, socks, bad ties, fruitcakes, etc. Rather, what gift did you ask for and look forward to with great anticipation, only to receive it and find that it was a huge disappointment. It will probably be something from your childhood, but it doesn't have to be.

Mine was something I asked for and was given when I was 7-8 years old called VertiBird Air Police. The commericials made this thing look like a realistic adventure that would entertain for hours. When I got the thing, all it did was spin around-and-around in cirles suspended on the end of a wire. I don't think the commercials even revealed that a wire was involved, but rather implied that the helicopter flew on its own. Furthermore, I was never able to use the hook on the helicopter to pick up the car the bad guys were riding in, even though their car conveniently had a handle on it. :laugh: Look carefully at the box below and you'll see what I'm talking about.

http://www.whirlybirdcentral.com/museum/images/7604.gif

My mom tried to steer me away from this thing, but I would have none of that talk. This was one time it would have behooved me to listen to her. At least no one got an eye put out. ;)

By the way, if any of you remember the VertiBird or care to, there's a site devoted to it that I ran across before I made this post:

http://www.whirlybirdcentral.com/museum/

westofyou
12-19-2005, 12:31 PM
My aunt gave me a poncho, knitted... like a girl would wear.... I laughed, said I wouldn't be caught dead in it. I was nine.

She never forgave me.. but she's a pill anyway.

OldRightHander
12-19-2005, 01:28 PM
After I moved out on my own, one of my older relatives got me a vacuum sweeper and an iron. Very practical gifts, but not exactly what I would have wanted. I still use that vacuum though.

As a kid, clothes were always a disappointment. One of the biggest disappointments was when I was about ten. I was taking a liking to basketball at the time and I wanted a hoop. We had a big enough yard and there was a concrete area at the side of the house where the cistern was. My parents bought the backboard with rim and gave it to me for Christmas. Then my dad never did get around to actually getting a pole and putting it up. He kept coming up with all kinds of excuses, but I think he was just plain lazy when he figured out that it would actually involve some work. That thing just sat in the garage for years until the wood was falling apart and it was useless.

RedsFan75
12-19-2005, 02:01 PM
Hey Macro I remember that!

Mine had to be an electric football game. The commercials indicated that we could be the next Namath and lead our team to the Super Bowl. Had the little magnetic football and the QB would throw with that spring loaded arm. I was the only boy in the family and none of my cousins that age cared about any type of sport. Not much fun in a football game where the little men went which ever way they decided, and you had to play it by yourself.

Blimpie
12-19-2005, 02:08 PM
This one is an absolute no brainer. My Portuguese grandmother got me a pair of superhero underoos. They were not of Superman, Batman, Spiderman or even Aquaman....but of Robin. I was twelve.

LoganBuck
12-19-2005, 02:53 PM
This one is an absolute no brainer. My Portuguese grandmother got me a pair of superhero underoos. They were not of Superman, Batman, Spiderman or even Aquaman....but of Robin. I was twelve.

Ouch.

On my father's side I had an aunt who got me a sweater and a picture of Jesus every year. For high school graduation she gave me a book of Christian inspiration, that is it nothing else. I have 4 cousins that are my age, and we only exchange gifts from godparents to godchildren. They would get cool stuff, and I was stuck with a sweater, and another picture of Jesus. Its not like I didn't like Jesus then, but a 10 year old boy can only have so many pictures of Jesus.

SunDeck
12-19-2005, 03:07 PM
I got an electric razor from my grandma when I was about 14. Not a whisker on my face yet, it was actually more embarrasing than dissappointing as I looked around, knowing what everyone was thinking.

Its not like I didn't like Jesus then, but a 10 year old boy can only have so many pictures of Jesus.

I may make this my new sig....:eek:

Johnny Footstool
12-19-2005, 03:23 PM
Its not like I didn't like Jesus then, but a 10 year old boy can only have so many pictures of Jesus.

No one can have too many pictures of Jesus.

http://www.jesusoftheweek.com/

Red Leader
12-19-2005, 03:39 PM
No one can have too many pictures of Jesus.

http://www.jesusoftheweek.com/

That website has a picture of the "Ohio Mega Jesus" off of I-75. Just click on the drop down up top to view.

Rojo
12-19-2005, 03:45 PM
When I was seven, I got a Johnny Bench Batter-Up . Thought it would turn me into a .300 hitter but I tired of it pretty damn quickly.

http://www.toyadz.com/toyadz/sports/jbench2.html

KronoRed
12-19-2005, 03:59 PM
Neon green bell bottoms from my Grandmother.

2nd worst?

The neon orange ones she gave me the same year.

Johnny Footstool
12-19-2005, 04:12 PM
When I was seven, I got a Johnny Bench Batter-Up . Thought it would turn me into a .300 hitter but I tired of it pretty damn quickly.

I had one when I was a kid, and I used to work it like crazy. I ended up destroying all the rubber bands, plus some others that my dad stole from work.

My worst gift was a dartboard when I was 14. I didn't play darts then -- didn't really like the game at all, plus my mom worked at Sears at the time and I could tell it was something she got out of the clearance rack there.

Unassisted
12-19-2005, 04:14 PM
Macro, I had a Vertibird, too. I have a two-word description that will distill its shortcomings for the benefit of those who didn't get to experience its wonders... Tetherball Helicopter. :)

M2
12-19-2005, 06:02 PM
I asked for a radio-controlled car when I was 12 and got it. It only turned left.

ochre
12-19-2005, 06:12 PM
I loved my Johnny Bench batter up. Do they still make those?

Falls City Beer
12-19-2005, 06:35 PM
That Girls Gone Wild video in which Snoop Dogg does not appear.

pedro
12-19-2005, 07:38 PM
I got a rock.

(oh wait.... that was Halloween and it wasn't me. It was Charlie Brown.)

Blimpie
12-19-2005, 08:08 PM
I asked for a radio-controlled car when I was 12 and got it. It only turned left.Sounds like it was Nextel Cup ready..... ;)

GAC
12-19-2005, 08:28 PM
Hey Macro I remember that!

Mine had to be an electric football game. The commercials indicated that we could be the next Namath and lead our team to the Super Bowl. Had the little magnetic football and the QB would throw with that spring loaded arm. I was the only boy in the family and none of my cousins that age cared about any type of sport. Not much fun in a football game where the little men went which ever way they decided, and you had to play it by yourself.

Electric football, and also electric baseball. You take a half hour to set up your men, and then when you throw the switch the little plastic men vibrate all over the place, and go in circles - alot like today's players!

And that little, tiny cotton football. Trying to pass that thing was a chore. I had a QB rating of -.000000002. :lol:

http://www.bggfiles.com/bggimages/pic31438.jpg

GAC
12-19-2005, 08:30 PM
Neon green bell bottoms from my Grandmother.

2nd worst?

The neon orange ones she gave me the same year.

You wore those to last years Redszone gathering. ;)

REDREAD
12-19-2005, 10:33 PM
Sea Monkeys.. Saw the things in a comic book as a kid, and believed all the hype that you could train them (I was about 6 years old). My parents told me what they really were, but I refused to believe them, because surely the ad wouldn't lie. I finally got them as a gift.. only two of the brine shrimp hatched... what a bummer.

SandyD
12-19-2005, 11:28 PM
I asked for a sled once. In flat, semi-tropical Louisiana. But I never got one.

Probably the only thing I can think of that would qualify was ... records. When I was 11, I asked for records for Christmas. I got ... the soundtrack for the Sound of Music and someone reading Tom Sawyer. Not exactly what I had in mind.

KronoRed
12-19-2005, 11:33 PM
You wore those to last years Redszone gathering. ;)
I set them on fire.

That were that bad.

and Grandma always gave such nice gifts :help:

Cedric
12-20-2005, 12:16 AM
I had an Aunt brag up my gift for hours and I was so excited. I opened the thing and it was Ralph Machio as Karate Kid figurine.

12-20-2005, 12:18 AM
Electric football, and also electric baseball. You take a half hour to set up your men, and then when you throw the switch the little plastic men vibrate all over the place, and go in circles - alot like today's players!

And that little, tiny cotton football. Trying to pass that thing was a chore. I had a QB rating of -.000000002. :lol:

http://www.bggfiles.com/bggimages/pic31438.jpg
My brother and I had those-early 70's? The only time they were fun was when we made the dog stand on them and then turned it on.:cool:

TeamCasey
12-20-2005, 06:08 AM
Remember those brick shaped snow molds? The commercial showed kids in huge igloos and forts that they made.

I think we made about 3 bricks and were ready for cocoa. :)

cincinnati chili
12-20-2005, 07:26 AM
My aunt gave me a poncho, knitted... like a girl would wear.... I laughed, said I wouldn't be caught dead in it. I was nine.

She never forgave me.. but she's a pill anyway.

Was it a real poncho?

I mean, was it a Mexican poncho or a Sears poncho?

Hmmm. No foolin'?

12-20-2005, 08:28 AM
Was it a real poncho?

I mean, was it a Mexican poncho or a Sears poncho?

Hmmm. No foolin'?

Who you jivin' with that cosmik debris?

GAC
12-20-2005, 08:55 AM
One of these maybe?

http://www.dvdactive.com/images/reviews/screenshot/2003/11/a_christmas_story_1_fixed.jpg

creek14
12-20-2005, 09:42 AM
Last year I got Eric Milton as a #1 starter for my favorite baseball team - does that count?

StillFunkyB
12-20-2005, 09:57 AM
Last year I got Eric Milton as a #1 starter for my favorite baseball team - does that count?

Why, yes it does!

Honestly, I can't remember anything that wasn't obvious. Ugly shirt, or something along those lines. Never got any Jesus pictures or anything like that.

I know that my mom always put fruit in our stockings... Yeah, right like Santa carries fruit around with him. Now she puts whatever stale snacks she has lying around the house. I think she collects stuff year round and says to herself "Wow, I can put that in the kids stockings!"

Spring~Fields
12-20-2005, 12:25 PM
Tooth paste, tooth brush, under arm deodorant, and bubble bath. :confused: :(

macro
12-20-2005, 01:02 PM
My parents bought the backboard with rim and gave it to me for Christmas. Then my dad never did get around to actually getting a pole and putting it up. He kept coming up with all kinds of excuses, but I think he was just plain lazy when he figured out that it would actually involve some work. That thing just sat in the garage for years until the wood was falling apart and it was useless.

Man, ORH, that's kinda saddening, and I can relate. Not to turn this into a counseling session or anything, but I recieved a basketball goal for a birthday, and it lied underneath my bed for over two years before my dad got around to putting it up. Things like that stick with you the rest of your life. You can forgive, but forgetting is another matter. :(

I never had one, but my cousin did, and I remember the excitement I felt about going to his house to see this thing. Like you guys, I was VERY disappointed. This had to be the nearest nothing I had ever seen. And GAC, I always assumed that my cousin had lost his football and replaced it with a piece of cotton, but now I realize that the cotton was the football that came with it! :eek:

Oh, man, how I could I forget the Batter-Up? It wasn't a Christmas gift, but I got one one summer and that thing drove me crazy. If you missed the ball at all, it flopped up and down and you had to stop and reset it. I really think that was a flawed product from the start, because it taught you to hit a ball in the same exact location every time. Is it really a good idea to teach a kid to swing in the same exact spot, or expect a ball in the same exact spot, every time?

Macro, I had a Vertibird, too. I have a two-word description that will distill its shortcomings for the benefit of those who didn't get to experience its wonders... Tetherball Helicopter. :)

That about sums it up! :laugh:

TeamMorris
12-20-2005, 01:27 PM
The only thing I can really think of is a doll that was suppose to walk. The thing would take 2 steps, fall over and look like she was having a fit while flat on her back. It didn't matter what surface she tried to walk on. I think she was called "Baby that a way" or something like that.

Now "Baby alive"...she was cool until you fed her something other than the special food that came with her:oops:

TeamCasey
12-20-2005, 03:14 PM
I have a good one. When I was a young teenager, I asked for a tent for Christmas.

My Dad took me in his backyard and presented me with a camper. Note: I didn't have a driver's license and had no way of taking it anywhere.

It was his way of keeping me in sight, instead of drinking Miller ponies at Green Lakes with my friends. :laugh:

That camper sat in my Dad's backyard for years. I slept in the back of my friend's El Camino at Green Lakes. :devil:

Red Leader
12-20-2005, 03:26 PM
When I was a freshman in college I got a box of Ramen noodles from my aunt and uncle.

Not that I didn't like noodles, but :dunno:

Dom Heffner
12-21-2005, 06:24 PM
I remember a gift my mother gave me one year...she kept pumping it up like it was the best thing in the world...I wake up and tear the wrapping paper off this huge box to find....

Micronauts Rocket Tubes

It was this contraption that had sealed tubes except for an opening to place your Micronauts dolls (they were aknock off of Star Wars dolls, kinda) in and they flew around the tubes, which you could link together in a circle. The thing also had a piece that blew air through the sealed tubes and that was supposed to make the little micronauts guy go round and a round through the tubes.

Mine never worked. The thing would blow air but my guy just sat in the tube.

I still haven't forgiven my Mother for that one.

GAC
12-21-2005, 08:25 PM
One of the biggest disappointments was when I was about ten. I was taking a liking to basketball at the time and I wanted a hoop. We had a big enough yard and there was a concrete area at the side of the house where the cistern was. My parents bought the backboard with rim and gave it to me for Christmas. Then my dad never did get around to actually getting a pole and putting it up. He kept coming up with all kinds of excuses, but I think he was just plain lazy when he figured out that it would actually involve some work. That thing just sat in the garage for years until the wood was falling apart and it was useless.

Maybe it was genetics? He was afraid on standing up on objects because of the fear of falling off? ;)

bomarl1969
12-22-2005, 09:07 AM
I remember the Christmas when I quit believing in Santa because all I wanted was this GI Joe toy and I didn't get it...I was convinced and heartbroken. Today my wife always gives me these goofy looking clothes that I'll never wear and return afterwards when she knows I like electronics (CDs, DVDs, PS2 games, she says they are a waste of money) but to me it keeps me being a kid again at Christmas!

OldRightHander
12-22-2005, 09:16 AM
I remember the Christmas when I quit believing in Santa because all I wanted was this GI Joe toy and I didn't get it...I was convinced and heartbroken. Today my wife always gives me these goofy looking clothes that I'll never wear and return afterwards when she knows I like electronics (CDs, DVDs, PS2 games, she says they are a waste of money) but to me it keeps me being a kid again at Christmas!

I can relate. I am married to the ultra practical woman. I'll never see a bit of electronics for Christmas ever.

Regarding the PS2. I have one of those with a few sports games. I was playing Madden the other day and she walked into the room and rolled her eyes. You know the look. Then she told me that she was going to check her email. Thirty minutes later she was still on the computer and I thought maybe she had gotten some news in the email or something. So I went downstairs and there she was playing Scrabble on the computer. :confused:

KronoRed
12-22-2005, 02:50 PM
When I was a freshman in college I got a box of Ramen noodles from my aunt and uncle.

Not that I didn't like noodles, but :dunno:
Hey..from what I've read about students maybe they thought it would be dinner for you for a year ;)

Hap
12-24-2005, 01:04 PM
Does anyone remember a game from the 80s called VCR Quarterback?

I opened it on Christmas morning when I was 16 and I immediately and sincerely thanked my mother for the idea, but I also tactfully explained to her that she had just wasted forty dollars on the most boring and over-hyped game that had ever been invented.

I advised her to return the unopened item to the store of purchase and demand an apology from the slick salesman who had told her that this game was the latest rage for all teenage football fans.

I have no idea what happened to it, but ebay sellers are hard-pressed to even get ten dollars for the stupid thing.

KittyDuran
12-24-2005, 08:23 PM
The most disappointing gifts were the ones that I had to share with my little sister (and there were many). It was something that most of the kids that came to play at our house remembered - the shelving down the basement with nearly every board game that was made, the card games, pop-o-matics, and the classics including checkers, marbles, etc.

The most single disappointing gift was a telescope. It was what I wanted but we lived in the 'burbs, close to the country but not out far enough to get a dark sky to focus on.

Jpup
12-26-2005, 04:30 AM
I got a pretty bad gift this year. I know I'm 25, but I was still dissapointed when I opened my gift from my mother and it was Tennessee Titans floor mats for my truck. First of all, I love the Titans and have all kinds of Titans things, but floor mats? I would never put them in my brand new truck, they don't match and look really tacky IMO. They would never fit anyway. I am stuck with them and don't know what in the world I am going to do with them. My carpet in my truck in a graphite color, but the floor mats are navy blue. I don't know what my mother was thinking. She also gave me some money, but I would rather she asked me what I wanted for Christmas instead of just buying something to be buying something. She asked me if I liked them and I said, "not in my truck." I have never said anything like that before about a gift, but I am just kind of fed up with my mother not putting any thought in my gifts. For, at least, the last 5 years, she has not purchased anything that I would like.

It could never ruin the best Chrismas ever for me, but it was a dissapointment. Maybe next year? :laugh:

MrCinatit
12-26-2005, 08:23 AM
my dad's parents got divorsed early on. every five years or so, his dad would come over for Christmas and get me the same thing...Candyland. Game doesn't do a lot for a 17-year-old.