PDA

View Full Version : How about best gift that surprised you?

TeamMorris
12-20-2005, 01:59 PM
Macro's thread inspired me:)

What about a Christmas/Birthday or any day gift you received as a child or adult that you weren't sure about or thrilled with but ended up surprising yourself with how much you actually liked it and/or used it?!

Mine has to be an "Easy Bake Oven":eek: . I was a Tom boy from birth I think. Yes I asked for it but only because everyone had one so I thought I need one also (I usually asked for race tracks, remote control stuff and stretch armstrong). Opened it, said Thank you and threw it aside. A few weeks later I took it out of the box to give it a try. I ended up loving the thing!! I made the little mixes as fast as I could get them. TB always saved me a little cake or cookie batter when she baked. I tried all kinds of things in it. Even came in handy a year or two latter when those "Shrinky dink" things came out. I played with that oven for years!!!

To this day...I LOVE to bake:thumbup:

As an adult...it has to be my son:evil: ;)

OldRightHander
12-20-2005, 02:33 PM
Do you mean that you were surprised that you liked it, or surprised that you got it?

In 2002, my wife completely surprised me with a 20 game partial season package for the Reds' 2003 season. Too bad that season didn't turn out better, but I saw some good games the first couple months. I can't think of anything that I was surprised I liked.

macro
12-20-2005, 02:35 PM
Macro's thread inspired me:)

I'm not sure how "inspiring" my glass-half-empty thread was, but I get what you're saying.

:laugh:

RedsFan75
12-20-2005, 02:37 PM
Easy for me to answer this one.

http://g2images.auctionwagon.com/ctc/G2SM7be85f36-8481-4f63-8fc0-daf92b98ee7d-15426.jpg

I was 5 or 6, at that stage where Santa Claus was begining to be one of those is he real or not questions. My Dad went out to feed the livestock and was usually gone for a bit to do that. He hadn't been gone over a few minutes when there was this knock on the door, and "Santa" left a box at our front door, and it contained a Roy Rogers Guitar, You could actually almost play this one.... Dad came in about 10 mins later asking where I got it.

To this day I still love Guitars, and play as often as I get a chance.

zombie-a-go-go
12-20-2005, 02:56 PM
Eighteen years old and out on my own for the first time in my life.

Received socks and underwear. "Bah!" I thought. "Socks and underwear suck! Where's the gift certificates?"

A few days later, running late and no clean clothes in my apartment anywhere to be found, I tore into the fresh, unopened socks and underwear I had received.

Now I'm an adult, and I love recieving socks, because that way I don't have to buy them myself.

TeamCasey
12-20-2005, 03:08 PM
As an adult, I got a great gift about 10 years ago. It was my first Christmas here and away from family. I received a tiny jewelry box with a house key in it.

Poor TeamBoone hasn't gotten rid of me since. ;)

The strange part was TB/TM and I knew each other as acquaintances ..... mostly company stuff. They just scooped me up and made me part of their Cincinnati family. They really are that to me.

vaticanplum
12-20-2005, 03:13 PM
I'm not sure how to post a picture, so I hope this works...

http://static.flickr.com/36/75667797_ff8507d124_o.jpg

TeamCasey
12-20-2005, 03:16 PM
That's an awesome gift, vp!

vaticanplum's image:

http://static.flickr.com/36/75667797_ff8507d124_o.jpg

vaticanplum
12-20-2005, 03:18 PM
Thank you for doing that! I hope she's not too big!

KronoRed
12-20-2005, 03:25 PM
Awww..he's cute :D

My biggest surprised was a dvd player for my birthday (it's a week after Christmas so it counts) this was back when they were new and special, I hadn't even asked for one..I was tickled.

TeamMorris
12-20-2005, 04:05 PM
Do you mean that you were surprised that you liked it, or surprised that you got it?

In 2002, my wife completely surprised me with a 20 game partial season package for the Reds' 2003 season. Too bad that season didn't turn out better, but I saw some good games the first couple months. I can't think of anything that I was surprised I liked.

More surprised you liked it and in my case asked for it;) I had a haed time wording this one for some reason.

RedsBaron
12-21-2005, 08:34 PM
When I was about 10 years old, I received a pinball machine for Christmas. My favorite uncle was with us that Christmas, and we had a blast playing that thing. It was a total surprise and a great gift.

Ravenlord
12-21-2005, 08:40 PM
a Shimano Quantum IV Ultra Light fishing reel from my uncle. i was 16 when i got it and it's still my primary rig. i was shocked when i was at Bass Pro later that year and saw that it was $250+

KittyDuran
12-24-2005, 08:26 PM
Probably money (any amount) from my parents. It's mostly a surprise since they downplay it most of the year...

kearns and dunn
12-24-2005, 09:28 PM
My best gift was the Ipod that I got. I had heard from a lot of different people on the internet that they weren't worth it and weren't very good. But after a day of using I discovered how much I loved it and I pretty much can't go very far without it.Also, if you have one and don't have Itrips, you have to get it, it's awesome.

RANDY IN INDY
12-25-2005, 07:51 AM
Without a doubt, when my wife surprised me on my birthday in 1999 with a trip to the Reds fantasy camp in Sarasota. Don't know if that one can be topped.

RFS62
12-25-2005, 09:38 AM
Without a doubt, when my wife surprised me on my birthday in 1999 with a trip to the Reds fantasy camp in Sarasota. Don't know if that one can be topped.

OK, you win.

:beerme:

Spitball
12-25-2005, 10:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC

OK, you win.

Ding! Ding! Ding!

I remember getting a 32 ounce Mickey Mantel model bat for Christmas in 1966. Imagine my delight. Where I lived, using a Yankee bat of any sort could get you seriously beat up, but my mom didn't know any better.

I tried to act excited, though, and took a mighty swing right there in the livingroom. Unfortunately, I didn't see the canary cage sitting on the coffee table. Talk about acting without thinking and ruining my sister's Christmas.

It turned out that the bat was sweet! ...and I never had to worry about anyone else borrowing it.

Merry Christmas!

BTW, I received a copy of The Bill James Handbook from my wife.

RFS62
12-25-2005, 11:03 AM
The best gift I ever got that I didn't see coming was a Wilson A2000 when I was 14. I had a Wilson catalogue and had admired it from afar for a long time, and I had no idea my mom was paying attention.

That was a crazy amount of money for a baseball glove where I grew up, and I didn't expect to ever have one. I've had one ever since, and will never be without one again.

That was one sweet Christmas.

paintmered
12-25-2005, 12:19 PM
This has been a wonderful Christmas for me. I could have received nothing and still been as delighted as I am now.

I got to see my five month old godson fall in love with his Pooh bear which I got him last night. I've been beaming ever since. :) Now he just needs to learn not to eat Pooh but to cuddle him. :laugh:

RANDY IN INDY
12-25-2005, 01:13 PM
The best gift I ever got that I didn't see coming was a Wilson A2000 when I was 14. I had a Wilson catalogue and had admired it from afar for a long time, and I had no idea my mom was paying attention.

That was a crazy amount of money for a baseball glove where I grew up, and I didn't expect to ever have one. I've had one ever since, and will never be without one again.

That was one sweet Christmas.

I know that feeling. Had mine when I was 16, and you're right. From where I come from, that was "crazy money" for a baseball glove. I remember my grandad putting the glove on his hand that Christmas and saying, "Boy, you'd have to have something seriously wrong with you to miss one with that. My mitt wasn't half that size." ( He had been a very serious player in his day, and didn't have a lot of tolerance for bad baseball. He was a blacksmith by trade and I often wondered if he really needed a glove with the tough, large hands that he possessed. I found out one day when he tossed the catcher's mitt aside and caught me for about 10 minutes, barehanded. I was around 15 at the time, I believe, and he was around 70. My best buddy just about lost it when he witnessed it. Ahhh, the memories...............................:beerme:

Bought Matt his first one last year, after he lost his glove at Opryland in Nashville, and he treasures it the same as you and I did with ours, RFS62. He slept with it for a long time. His fits on the wrong hand, though.;) (And I'm not complainin')

Jpup
12-26-2005, 04:39 AM
I got an DVD recorder with a hard drive from my g/f last year. I had kind of wanted one, but had no idea that she even knew it. I didn't really think that I would use it that much, but that has to be one of the best presents and most useful that I have ever gotten. I record several TV shows on it every week. She buys me the best gifts, the year before that she bought me a nice television that cost way too much and this year she bought me a receiver and home theatre system. I haven't gotten a chance to hook it up yet, but that is on my to do list for this week.