12-20-2005, 03:47 PM
Per Lance on 1360

Chris Hammond that is.

deltachi8
12-20-2005, 03:48 PM
welllll, that could be a swingman....

Red Leader
12-20-2005, 03:49 PM
Surely that can't be the swingman DanO was talking about. God, I hope not. :lol:

I don't have a problem with the signing, well, at least until I see the salary anyway. The Reds needed to get some more vets for the bullpen.

Joseph
12-20-2005, 03:49 PM
Yeah, he used to start, but when was the last time he did start a game?

BRM
12-20-2005, 03:50 PM
Yeah, he used to start, but when was the last time he did start a game?

ED44
12-20-2005, 03:51 PM
Probably back in his Cincy days...:laugh:

Not a bad sign, if he came cheap. It would add another lefty to the pen...he and Merker could be nice bait come trade deadline time too.

Matt700wlw
12-20-2005, 03:51 PM
REDS SIGN FREE AGENT RELIEVER CHRIS HAMMOND

Veteran Lefthander Returns To Cincy

CINCINNATI - Cincinnati Reds general manager Dan O’Brien today announced the signing of LHP Chris Hammond to a 1-year contract through the 2006 season with a mutual option for 2007.

The veteran of 13 Major League seasons began his career with the Reds as a starting pitcher from 1990-1992. He has also pitched for Florida (1993-96, 1998), Boston (1997), Atlanta (2002), New York Yankees (2003), Oakland (2004) and San Diego (2005).

Hammond, 39, has posted a 2.47 ERA in 221 relief appearances over the last 4 seasons. He enjoyed his best season in 2002, when he went 7-2 with a 0.95 ERA in a career-high 63 appearances for the Braves. That season he led all Major League relievers in ERA and became only the third pitcher since 1900 (min. 70ip) to have an ERA below 1.00 (Ferdie Schupp, 1916 & Dennis Eckersley, 1990).

Hammond went 5-1 with a 3.84 ERA in 55 appearances for the Padres last season. He held left-handed batters to a .164 batting average.

Joseph
12-20-2005, 03:52 PM
Thanks for the details Matt.

KronoRed
12-20-2005, 03:53 PM
We approve.

He won't help much but he won't hurt.

Chip R
12-20-2005, 03:58 PM
Boy, I really disliked this guy when he was last with the Reds. He cried more than Aurilia ever did.

Joseph
12-20-2005, 04:07 PM
Boy, I really disliked this guy when he was last with the Reds. He cried more than Aurilia ever did.

All I remember about him being a Red was between he and Scott Scudder it was the first time in my life I'd heard the term 'circle change.' How bad was he, complaint wise?

RedsManRick
12-20-2005, 04:12 PM
Looking at his numbers, I can't see why anybody would be unhappy about this. That is unless, of course, we're paying him 4MM or something like that. The only thing that scares me is his downward K/9 trend. But if this means no Randy Kielser, I'm all for it.

Falls City Beer
12-20-2005, 04:42 PM
LOOGY.

And he pitched half those innings in Petco--plus he'll be forty next season. Don't get your hopes up.

While I agree it beats Keisler, I still think Hammond's level of production could be found elsewhere, cheaper.

flyer85
12-20-2005, 04:43 PM
We approve.

He won't help much but he won't hurt.... for the current GM that seems to define success.

We may suck but at least we aren't getting worse.

Cincinnati ... brings you "bock baseball"

BRM
12-20-2005, 04:51 PM
... for the current GM that seems to define success.

We may suck but at least we aren't getting worse.

Cincinnati ... brings you "bock baseball"

Stop it!! You're making me sad...:(

Doc. Scott
12-20-2005, 04:57 PM
I don't mind having Hammond around- there's a chance Shackleford won't fool anyone the second time around. And vice versa if Hammond suddenly starts pitching kickballs.

flyer85
12-20-2005, 05:01 PM
Stop it!! You're making me sad...:(Sorry, I am especially cynical today.:help:

Happy thoughts, Happy thoughts.

"Reds win the Pennant, Reds win the Pennant".

Strikes Out Looking
12-20-2005, 05:04 PM
The benefit of this move was that it caused Joe Valentine (as well as Ortiz) to be non-tendered and off the 40 man. I'd rather have Hammond than those two any day of the week!

Heath
12-20-2005, 05:12 PM
Joe Valentine has Nuke LaLoosh disease - you can't teach heat. You just have to learn to control it. Maybe his eyelids are jammed.

Kradokk
12-20-2005, 05:22 PM
Forgive me if this was already mentioned, but Hammond is the last active player from the 1990 World Series champions.

He had a very minor role on that team, but maybe it will rub off. :)

Caveat Emperor
12-20-2005, 05:25 PM
I like the signing.

Certainly a better bet than Ben Weber ways.

flyer85
12-20-2005, 05:31 PM
Start printing the playoff tickets.:all_cohol

Krusty
12-20-2005, 05:32 PM
Three lefties in the pen isn't a bad deal.

Falls City Beer
12-20-2005, 05:34 PM
Start printing the playoff tickets.:all_cohol

What I'm beginning to be scared of is people actually keeling over from boredom.
I think we need Redszone triage.

flyer85
12-20-2005, 05:37 PM
What I'm beginning to be scared of is people actually keeling over from boredom.
I think we need Redszone triage.maybe we could do a "Men of Redzone" calendar :runawaycr to attract more females.

KronoRed
12-20-2005, 05:44 PM
maybe we could do a "Men of Redzone" calendar :runawaycr to attract more females.
:eek:

I'm not buying.

PuffyPig
12-20-2005, 06:54 PM
REDS SIGN FREE AGENT RELIEVER CHRIS HAMMOND

He held left-handed batters to a .164 batting average.

Any LOOGY with this kind of success will help any bullpen, escpecially ours.

When you consider than the Cubs had to give Eyre 3 years, and the Cards had to give Rincon 2 years guaranteed, this isn't so bad. He actually can even get RH hitters out on occasion, something that guys like Rincon are hopeless at.

I agree that at his age he could implode, but any pitcher can at any time. The chances of that increases considerably the more you expose guys like Hammond to multiple batters. Use him strictly as a LOOGY, and you can some outs from him.

The advantage the Reds have is that each of mercker and Shackleford can go multiple innings and aren't strictly LOOGY guys. You could use Hammond for a key out even early in the game with 3 LH in the bullpen.

Certainly an improvement from the Norton days.

Crosley68
12-20-2005, 08:15 PM
I agree Puffy, it may save some big innings early where Miley and Narron were afraid to use Merker up. This is a baby step......but forward none the less.

buckshotrod
12-20-2005, 09:35 PM
Does he come complete with a rocking chair?? :eek:

swityak11
12-20-2005, 10:28 PM
I like the signing contingent on his salary being reasonable.

I curious though, where was he playing from 99-01? The Baseball Cube doesn't list any minor league statistics for those years. Where he went sure cured his abysmal form from 96-98.

alexad
12-20-2005, 11:25 PM
I have a bunch of Hammond Rookie cards if anyone wants to buy some. In fact I have a slew of Armstrong, Oliver, Hammond and Scudder Rookie cards. Let me know.:cool:

Redsland
12-20-2005, 11:48 PM
I curious though, where was he playing from 99-01? The Baseball Cube doesn't list any minor league statistics for those years.
On the offside chance you aren't joking, he was out of baseball during those years. Retired, basically.

Hondo
12-21-2005, 03:09 AM
Did someone say Scott Scudder?????? Didn't he get traded with John Wetteland to the Expos for Willie Greene or something??? I miss old Jack Armstrong, he was a good guy!!!!

Great signing by the Reds!!! Now back to Burnett....wait he is a Blue Jay.

Looks like Millwood is going down to Texas to maybe sign a deal today? Lets hope he does so Dan O stays away......We all need to send thank you cards to the Giants for signing Matt Morris too!!!

JR

OldRightHander
12-21-2005, 08:54 AM
All I remember about him being a Red was between he and Scott Scudder it was the first time in my life I'd heard the term 'circle change.' How bad was he, complaint wise?

Didn't Soto throw a circle change?

SunDeck
12-21-2005, 09:55 AM
I think this is a good move, but I fear it means the FO is thinking they need to get some guys who can run in there from the 3rd to the 6th inning.
:bang:

Roy Tucker
12-21-2005, 10:28 AM
I think this is a good move, but I fear it means the FO is thinking they need to get some guys who can run in there from the 3rd to the 6th inning.
:bang:
I had similar thoughts.

Seeing the glacial speed that DanO is improving this staff and the fact my face is starting to turn blue from holding my breath, I'm starting to think that maybe the Reds ought to dump the rest of their starters and just sign a bunch of bullpen guys. That way, each guy can pitch 1 inning per game and get better production than the usual gang of suspect starters.

savafan
12-21-2005, 02:40 PM
http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051221/SPT04/512210394/1071

By Jacob Dirr
Enquirer staff writer

Chris Hammond walked into Cincinnati 15 years ago as a wide-eyed rookie and will return to the Reds this year as a seasoned pro, enlisted to teach younger players but without a specific role.

"I don't want a role," he said. "I'll be out in the bullpen from the first inning to the last, and I'll be ready to pitch."

The Reds signed the veteran reliever to a one-year, $800,000 contract, with a $2 million mutual option for 2007. The Reds also have negotiated an escalating buyout provision based upon the number of appearances Hammond makes next year, general manager Dan O'Brien said.

Hammond, a left-hander, began his career with the Reds from 1990-92.

"I think it's really going to take a few days to sink in that I'm really going to be playing for the Cincinnati Reds again," said Hammond, who turns 40 next month. "If I play this year, I plan on retiring next year, but if my kids want me to keep playing ... well, you never know."

Hammond went 5-1 with a 3.84 ERA last season in 55 appearances for San Diego, holding left-handed batters to a .164 batting average.

"I try to tell the other guys on the team, 'Don't expect to be the setup guy or the closer,' " Hammond said. "After the fourth inning you should start stretching, and that's the role I want and expect to have."

Both O'Brien and Hammond said they expect the veteran to share his experience to help young pitchers, as will David Weathers, last season's closer, and left-hander Kent Mercker.

"I don't know who is going to be in the bullpen this year, but I know that there (are) going to be three guys who are going to be willing to set a good example and do a lot of teaching," Hammond said.

Hammond's return came the same day the Reds allowed right-handers Ramon Ortiz and Joe Valentine to become unrestricted free agents and invited Single-A pitchers Josh Hall and Homer Bailey to spring training.

The club had been in active negotiations with Hammond for about two weeks, O'Brien said.

"That is going to help us and make our bullpen better," O'Brien said. "We had targeted Chris right from the beginning of the free-agent period."

Hammond never imagined returning to his first club, especially at 40 years old, he said.

He re-emerged in the majors in 2002 after taking a 21/2-year break from the game.

He has recorded a 2.47 ERA in 221 relief appearances in the past four seasons, pitching for Atlanta, the New York Yankees, Oakland and San Diego.

Red Leader
12-21-2005, 02:45 PM
"After the fourth inning you should start stretching, and that's the role I want and expect to have."

Ummm, Chris. Some things have changed a little since you last played here. You're going to need to start stretching before the game now. :laugh:

registerthis
12-21-2005, 02:53 PM
Forgive me if this was already mentioned, but Hammond is the last active player from the 1990 World Series champions.

He had a very minor role on that team, but maybe it will rub off. :)

If only they could re-sign Billy Bates.

Heath
12-21-2005, 03:20 PM
If only they could re-sign Billy Bates.

isn't he dead?

I'd prefer Glenn Braggs, but we already have WMP.

alex trevino
12-21-2005, 05:36 PM
Well Obie "cast his net far and wide" and brought back Dave williams, Tony womack and Chris Hammonds !

Way to cement your reputation Dan-o!

marcshoe
12-21-2005, 09:32 PM

He's the first person I remember throwing one.

gonelong
12-22-2005, 02:57 PM

Soto was one of the first MLB players to heavily rely on that pitch.

IIRC, he often referred to it as an "OK" changeup. While is was much more than OK, it was breath-taking IMO, he was referring to how he gripped the ball. He made the OK gesture with his pitching hand and then put the ball in it and tossed the pitch.

GL

SunDeck
12-22-2005, 03:52 PM
isn't he dead?

I'd prefer Glenn Braggs, but we already have WMP.
No death date listed at Baseball Reference for Bates.
Bo Diaz fell off his roof and died.

SteelSD
12-22-2005, 04:29 PM
Well Obie "cast his net far and wide" and brought back Dave williams, Tony womack and Chris Hammonds !

Way to cement your reputation Dan-o!

If Dan O'Brien went trawling for fish, he'd bring the boat back into shore and try to sell his catch of a muddy old boot, a rusty tin can, and a used hypodermic needle- all the while insisting that the boot, can, and needle are obviously high-value fish because he did, in fact, find them in the water.

Two years ago, his catch was "Payflex" and then "Pitch to Contact". Then he pulled a tin can "Proven Winner" out of his net the year after. Now he's claiming that "Manufacture Runs" and "Groundball Pitcher" have gills and fins.

But they're just this season's muddy old boot.

gonelong
12-22-2005, 05:03 PM
No death date listed at Baseball Reference for Bates.
Bo Diaz fell off his roof and died.

I thought a jumbo Satellite Dish was a factor in Bo's untimely demise. I guess he would have been on the roof for that ....

google returns
Bo Diaz, 37, is crushed to death when a rooftop satellite dish topples over at his home in Venezuela. Diaz last played for the Reds in 1989.

savafan
12-23-2005, 08:06 AM
I thought a jumbo Satellite Dish was a factor in Bo's untimely demise. I guess he would have been on the roof for that ....

google returns
Bo Diaz, 37, is crushed to death when a rooftop satellite dish topples over at his home in Venezuela. Diaz last played for the Reds in 1989.

As I recall, Diaz was killed when he was trying to put a satellite dish up at his home during a thunderstorm. The satellite dish and he were struck by lightning, the dish hit him in the head and he fell off the roof. Which of the three actually killed him was never actually conclusive.

OldRightHander
12-23-2005, 09:50 AM
Bo Diaz...now there's a guy I would like to have seen in a foot race against Sean Casey.

gonelong
12-23-2005, 11:00 AM
Bo Diaz...now there's a guy I would like to have seen in a foot race against Sean Casey.

Sean Casey in a landslide. Diaz might have been the slowest player in MLB history.

GL

BoydsOfSummer
12-23-2005, 12:50 PM
Bo was bow-legged too; kinna like a horseshoe in slow motion. Casey always reminded me of a crab when he EXPLODED! out of the box and down the line.