PDA

View Full Version : Big Game Today Brown Fans....

GAC
12-24-2005, 03:16 AM
and I know Bengal fans will be rootin' for us too. ;)

Pittsburgh comes into Cleveland. I have a love/hate relationship with this rivilary, even though the Steelers have dominated us since we returned to the league. I hate'em with a passion.

Here's a neat site for those who share my feelings on the Steelers.... http://www.steelerssuck.com/ :lol:

I've seen alot of progress in the Browns this year. Inconsistency? Yes. But that is to be expected with a new head coach trying to evaluate what he has and install a 3-4 "D". And injuries haven't helped us either. Man, to have a healthy Winslow and Edwards in there for Charlie to throw to would be a big boost.

But we've played in alot of tough, close games for the most part. Embarassed by the losses to Houston and Detroit - but oh well.

For those Brown fans, here is a good forum. It's ran by Kosar, his brother, and several former Brown players.

http://browns.scout.com/2/481767.html

I'll be there (GAC44), and in chat around 1 PM. They have an excellent chat format. There is usually 30-40 people in there during the game, and from all over the world. It's amazing. Stop in and I'll buy you a cold one.

BoydsOfSummer
12-24-2005, 09:25 AM
It's Steeler week!! Oh the sweetness of handing them a loss and possibly killing playoff hopes!

Here is another forum,it's a more intimate place than Bernies. I used to hang out with them when I was on AOL and recently rediscovered them. They created their own site,sorta like Redszone.

http://thebrownsboard.com/

RFS62
12-24-2005, 09:27 AM
Man, I hate those stinkin' Steelers.

Heath
12-24-2005, 10:24 AM
Ah...the smell of Steeler week...

If its low scoring - the Browns have a better shot.

Steve4192
12-24-2005, 11:01 AM
and I know Bengal fans will be rootin' for us too. ;)
Actually, though it pains me to admit it, but I'll be rooting for the Steelers. No offense to Browns II fans, but if the Bengals end up with the #3 seed I would rather see them face the Steelers instead of the Chargers or Chefs. The Bengals have huge problems on run defense and in covering tight ends in the passing game, and the Chargers duo of Tomlinson/Gates scares the bejesus out of me. Ditto for the Chiefs duo of Johnson/Gonzalez. Not so much for the Steelers cast of Bus/Duce/Willie/Miller.

Besides, it sure would be nice to hang another 'L' on the Squeelers in a rubber match, eliminating the 'but we split the season series' excuse for their fans.

GAC
12-24-2005, 11:14 AM
Actually, though it pains me to admit it, but I'll be rooting for the Steelers. No offense to Browns II fans, but if the Bengals end up with the #3 seed I would rather see them face the Steelers instead of the Chargers or Chefs. The Bengals have huge problems on run defense and in covering tight ends in the passing game, and the Chargers duo of Tomlinson/Gates scares the bejesus out of me. Ditto for the Chiefs duo of Johnson/Gonzalez. Not so much for the Steelers cast of Bus/Duce/Willie/Miller.

Besides, it sure would be nice to hang another 'L' on the Squeelers in a rubber match, eliminating the 'but we split the season series' excuse for their fans.

I agree. But right now the Chargers on the outside looking in.... and they have a HUGE game with Denver in week #16 that will determine their fate. They have to win out and Denver is not gonna rest any of their regulars in that game if they want to stay one step ahead of the Bengals as far as post-season positioning. Unless the Bengals lose AT KC in the last week.

Gonna be an interesting ending to this season. ;)

Playadlc
12-24-2005, 11:50 AM
Well, the Chargers aren't as far out of it as some think. If they win out (no doubt, a tough choir), and Jax. finishes 1-1, they are in, even if Pitt. wins out. With a three way tie, head to head is thrown out the window.

Pitt. is going to have their hands full today. The Browns are playing good football, and this will be a very close game.

Steve4192
12-24-2005, 12:29 PM
I agree. But right now the Chargers on the outside looking in....

That is my point. If the Browns upset the Steelers, the Bengals are going to be looking at a date with LT/Gates instead of Bus/Miller. I want no part of of LT or Gates.

Denver is not gonna rest any of their regulars in that game if they want to stay one step ahead of the Bengals as far as post-season positioning. Unless the Bengals lose AT KC in the last week.
It works the other way around. The Broncos play the Chargers on New Years eve while the Bengals play the Chefs on New Years day. If the Broncos win their game, the Bengals might rest their starters versus KC.

Steve4192
12-24-2005, 12:33 PM
Well, the Chargers aren't as far out of it as some think. If they win out (no doubt, a tough choir), and Jax. finishes 1-1, they are in, even if Pitt. wins out.
But in that scenario, the Chargers have to beat the Broncos on New Years eve, leaving the Bengals in the drivers seat for the #2 seed and a bye week. In that case, I don't care who makes the playoffs, because the Bengals won't be playing on that first weekend.

Playadlc
12-24-2005, 12:56 PM
But in that scenario, the Chargers have to beat the Broncos on New Years eve, leaving the Bengals in the drivers seat for the #2 seed and a bye week. In that case, I don't care who makes the playoffs, because the Bengals won't be playing on that first weekend.

Amen to that. A first round bye would be huge. One win and you are playing for the AFC title.

BoydsOfSummer
12-24-2005, 02:36 PM
At the half I'm left to ponder...

How we lookin'?

Not good.

Steve4192
12-24-2005, 02:42 PM
Looks like the Browns II were nothing more than a speed bump for the Squeelers. 20-0 Squeelers at the half.

Steve4192
12-24-2005, 03:32 PM
34-0 Squeelers with 12:00 remaining. This is getting Rosanne Barr ugly.

traderumor
12-24-2005, 04:59 PM
http://203.26.51.178/cracker/63861_1.jpg

This is all that was left of the "Dawg Pound" after that one

Great job picking the Clowns vs. Squealers over a down to the last minute Bengals vs. Bills great NFL game 10TV, albeit a loss for the Bengals

KronoRed
12-24-2005, 05:17 PM
GAC..maybe you shouldn't start game thread for your team ;)

Spring~Fields
12-24-2005, 05:50 PM
Looks like the Browns know how to add humor to the holiday season. :)

GAC
12-25-2005, 12:40 AM
"Yes Virginia, there is a Santa Claus. And I say that sweetheart because he just kicked us in the .....!!!"

The Browns are not as bad a team as what I saw yesterday. But that was pitiful. Nothing - and I mean nothing - went right.

We looked terrible....dropped passes, fumbling the ball all over the place, no protection running the ball and none trying to protect Frye. We were like a poodle in the mouths of a rottweiler.

And what pee'd me off the most were the frequent camera shots of a smiling Bill Cowler. And this A-hole was trying to run the score up as much as he possibly could.

I'm a firm believer that what goes around comes around folks. But being bent over like that makes it a little harder.

Sorry for the Bengal's loss too.

A Brown's win I wasn't expecting (just alot of hope); but that loss by the Bengals really caught me off guard.

GAC
12-25-2005, 12:44 AM
GAC..maybe you shouldn't start game thread for your team ;)

You should have been over in the Brown's chat. 60 men crying is not a pretty sight at all.

We had one guy telling us we were all bad Brown fans because of the anger and frustration we were showing, and that we gotta have faith.

I told him that it's hard to have faith when you can even hear God laughing all day. ;)

SteelSD
12-25-2005, 02:38 AM
Eh, sorry 'bout that one, GAC. The Browns aren't that bad a football team.

That being said, that game made me feel like I would during an Eric Milton start.

If I were a fan of the opposing baseball club, of course.

As for the "running up the score" thing, I'm not sure about the Batch-to-Morgan pass and/or if Cowher and Co. thought that points might come into play in some tiebreaker scenario. I dunno. And I don't know whether that was just Cowher and Co. trying to get Batch a pass being that he's been out for a while.

But the two prior scores before that were an 80-yard run (making it 27-0) and a 15-yard run after Pitt recovered the fumble (making it 34-0). I sure don't think you try to not score with a 20-0 lead and 9:44 to go in the third quarter (when Parker's run happened). Other than the Batch-to-Morgan connection, the last pass attempt (on 3rd-and-8) came with 3:17 to go in the 3rd with the score 27-0. Pitt was just trying to get a first down to chew clock at that point.

After that incompletion, the Steelers handed the ball to Verron Haynes 8 consecutive times; netting them 60 yards and chewing up over five minutes of clock. The Browns just couldn't stop them and didn't really appear all that interested in doing so. Verron Haynes is not that good and the Browns are not that bad.

Again, I don't know what the intent of the Batch-to-Morgan play might have been, but I sure don't see how Pitt could have done a whole heck of a lot to further suppress their scoring unless they simply planned to take a knee every play after Parker's 80-yard scamper. Yeah, the score was entirely out of hand, but I thought it was more a product of quick-hit big plays than it was a gameplan to embarass anyone.

GAC
12-25-2005, 04:35 AM
What I could't believe is how some of their guys got behind and were so wide open behind our secondary. Yes, we have some key injuries to our secondary with guys like Baxter and Harris out. The only people we had to throw to were the TE's (and they are banged up) because our WR's are all injured (except Brayant).

But Roethlisberger was also still hurt, and was throwing up Goodyear blimps, and their guys were just running under them. I was beating my head against the wall. Bodden should be ashamed of himself.

And we ran an excellent prevent offense today. ;)

NO WRs (except Bryant), and the TEs are really banged up. And on the line we really missed Faine. Frye sacked 8 times. That's unreal. It's amazing that he still was able to throw for almost 200 yds by the end of the day.

And you're probably right about the scoring Kori. It was just the cameras showing a smiling Cowher all the time late in the game that just got to me. Man how I hate that guy.

Most of us Brown fans didn't expect much from the Browns this year - 5 wins if we were lucky. This was a year, for Crennel, of personnel evaluation and seeing what he has.

They know they'll be some wholesale changes going into next year. 30 Mil under the salary cap, and getting guys back like Winslow, Bryant, and other key players will help us.

But that game today just plain hurt because we usually were in most games that we played this year. We found ways to shoot ourselves in the foot and lose. Today we didn't have to do that. Pittsburgh spanked us big time.

SteelSD
12-25-2005, 02:30 PM
And you're probably right about the scoring Kori. It was just the cameras showing a smiling Cowher all the time late in the game that just got to me. Man how I hate that guy.

Man, sometimes I hate that guy. So I understand.

But that game today just plain hurt because we usually were in most games that we played this year. We found ways to shoot ourselves in the foot and lose. Today we didn't have to do that. Pittsburgh spanked us big time.

I dunno. It seemed to me that the Browns were doing a good job of shooting themselves in the foot yesterday. Dropped passes, horrible protection, poor coverage (including the punt return Randle El handed back to Cleveland), etc.

I don't watch a ton of Cleveland football. But I just got the feeling that there was a general lack of player interest there- particularly after the score escalated after the Parker run.

Maybe that's me giving too little credit to Pitt, but if I were Crennel I'd be asking my players how they can give up 8 sacks to just a decent pass rushing team (Joey Porter hasn't played like that all year) while allowing themselves to be mauled by Verron Haynes, Charlie Batch, Brent Keisel, and Quincy-freakin'-Morgan.

BoydsOfSummer
12-25-2005, 10:16 PM
I kept waiting for the Browns to come out of the locker room. They never did. They are a better team than that showing,for sure. At least in effort. They've lacked talent all season,and lost more to injury,but they've come locked and loaded for every game until this one.

SteelSD
12-25-2005, 11:25 PM
I kept waiting for the Browns to come out of the locker room. They never did. They are a better team than that showing,for sure. At least in effort. They've lacked talent all season,and lost more to injury,but they've come locked and loaded for every game until this one.

Yeah. And it concerns me as a Pitt fan going into a must-win game next weekend versus Detroit.

Don't get me wrong...I love a blowout now and then, but the Steelers are going to be facing a team with a bunch of guys who are playing to give their coach a positive last impression for 2005. That team has JOBS on the line. The last thing I want to see from Pittsburgh is a "Well, this is gonna be easy because the last one was." type of attitude.

GAC
12-26-2005, 04:15 AM
Maybe that's me giving too little credit to Pitt,

I'd give Pitt al the credit. They came to play. They had intensity. We didn't.

but if I were Crennel I'd be asking my players how they can give up 8 sacks to just a decent pass rushing team (Joey Porter hasn't played like that all year)

Not all, but alot of it was missing center Jeff Faine. Also - Pitt was stacking the box and blitzing a heck of alot more because who were our passing threats? We became a one dimensionsal team (Droughns) when Edwards went down (no down field threat). Pitt LBs played closer to the line of scrimmage. When you have to put Dennis Northcutt in a WR slot that tells you something. I'm not a 'Cutt fan....OK for special teams, but the guy can't run north-south if his life depended on it. He'll make ONE senssational catch, then drop FIVE. And we've had to throw a heck of alot more to our TE's, who are also banged up pretty bad from overuse (Heinden).

while allowing themselves to be mauled by Verron Haynes, Charlie Batch, Brent Keisel, and Quincy-freakin'-Morgan.

That I have no excuse for. :D

GAC
12-26-2005, 04:21 AM
Yeah. And it concerns me as a Pitt fan going into a must-win game next weekend versus Detroit.

Don't get me wrong...I love a blowout now and then, but the Steelers are going to be facing a team with a bunch of guys who are playing to give their coach a positive last impression for 2005. That team has JOBS on the line. The last thing I want to see from Pittsburgh is a "Well, this is gonna be easy because the last one was." type of attitude.

You won't see that from a Cowher ran team, as far as preparation goes. What has hurt Pitt this year has been an erratic running game and turnovers. Not to mention that Big Ben's "nagging" injuries have been a factor.

Looking at the teams that are gonna be in the AFC post-season... it's gonna be a humdinger IMO. My "sleeper" is New England; but I'm not counting Pitt out. You don't want to face Pitt 3 TIMES in a season. Ask Cleveland (even though Holcomb lit them up 3 years ago). IMO - the odds are against you.