PDA

View Full Version : Former Red Jeff Reardon Arrested!

Raisor
12-27-2005, 08:38 AM
http://www.kare11.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=114750

Former Minnesota Twins pitcher Jeff Reardon was arrested in Florida Monday on suspicion of committing armed robbery.

According to a news release from the Palm Beach Gardens Police Department, the 50-year-old former All Star entered a Hamilton Jewelers store in shopping mall and handed a clerk a note demanding money. The clerk, believing Reardon had a gun, filled a bag with an undisclosed amount of cash.

Reardon fled the store with the cash and was followed by the store manager. Police arrived and arrested Reardon without incident outside a P.F. Chang's restaurant. The money was recovered at the same time.

Reardon, who has lived in Florida since the 1980's, earned over $11 million in his nine-year baseball career. He played for the Montreal Expos, the Minnesota Twins (and was instrumental in the team's 1988 World Series win), the Boston Red Sox, the Cincinnati Reds and the New York Yankees. He was dubbed "The Terminator" and remains one of the most effective pitchers in baseball history.

He is charged with armed robbery, but the police statement does not provide any details on weapons recovered at the time of the arrest.

bleedsred
12-27-2005, 09:40 AM
Jeff must have had some severe hunger pains....hmmmmm....think I'll go rob a store then stop and grab myself a bite to eat nearby. That MLB pension plan must really suck....

Aceking
12-27-2005, 12:57 PM
Nice to see he still has the beard.

http://espn-att.starwave.com/media/mlb/2005/1227/photo/a_reardon05_195.jpg

This is disapointing to me. I was hoping for a Jeff Reardon bobblehead night.

alex trevino
12-27-2005, 06:51 PM
How can yiou waste 11 million dollars?

kaldaniels
12-27-2005, 11:29 PM
Just one last ploy to get into the Hall as far as I'm concerned. Sad how desparate people can be ;)

ochre
12-28-2005, 12:20 AM
Nice to see he still has the beard.

http://espn-att.starwave.com/media/mlb/2005/1227/photo/a_reardon05_195.jpg

This is disapointing to me. I was hoping for a Jeff Reardon bobblehead night.
Am I the only one that thinks he looks like an older, chunkier Aurilia in that shot?

Team Clark
12-28-2005, 12:21 AM
Looks like a really off colored wig too...

cumberlandreds
12-28-2005, 07:48 AM
I think he kinda looks like Lou Pinella with a beard. Very sad situation. He must be in total despair from losing his child.

Jpup
12-28-2005, 09:04 AM
It looks like that his meds made him crazy. They said he only had $170 and turned himself in after realizing what he had done. I think he will get off with some probation. He definitely needs help.:(

Aceking
12-28-2005, 12:46 PM
He could probably have a plausible defense if he blamed it on George Lucas:

http://us.movies1.yimg.com/movies.yahoo.com/images/hv/photo/contrib_pix/g/e/hds/george_lucas.jpg

max venable
12-29-2005, 07:13 PM
ds

savafan
06-09-2006, 07:52 PM
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/palmbeach/sfl-preardon09jun09,0,6635633.story?coll=sfla-news-palm

By Missy Stoddard
South Florida Sun-Sentinel
Posted June 9 2006

Former Major League Baseball pitcher Jeff Reardon was delirious and legally insane when he walked into a Palm Beach Gardens jewelry store in December and handed over a note demanding money and jewelry, according to a court document filed Thursday.

Attorney Mitchell Beers plans to rely on a voluntary intoxication/insanity defense when defending Reardon, 50, who lives in PGA National.

Reardon had been suffering for a significant period of time from psychiatric problems -- severe depression, enormous guilt and anger -- as a result of his 20-year-old son's 2004 drug and alcohol overdose death, Beers' motion states.

On Dec. 15, less than two weeks before the incident at Hamilton Jewelers in The Gardens Mall, Reardon was released from St. Mary's Medical Center after nearly a week's stay to treat depression and suicidal thoughts, according to Beers' motion.

A week later he underwent angioplasty. On Dec. 26, authorities say Reardon passed a note to a Hamilton's employee saying that he had a gun and wanted valuables. He left the store with a bag containing $170, but apologized to an officer who stopped him in the mall parking lot, telling him that he was taking medication, according to police.

Reardon was on 12 medications that day, according to Beers' motion.

" ... His behavior was altered to the point where he acted completely out of character, irrationally, and consistent with having been in a psychotic state," Beers wrote. "Because of these prescribed medications, as well as his psychiatric history, he was incapable of forming the mental state and/or specific intent which is an essential element of the crime robbery ... "

Once known as "The Terminator," Reardon helped the Minnesota Twins win the 1987 World Series. He began his 16-season, big-league career in 1979 with the New York Mets and ended it when the New York Yankees released him in 1994. He also played for the Boston Red Sox, Atlanta Braves, Cincinnati Reds and the Montreal Expos. He's in the top 10 of the all-time saves list with 367.

saboforthird
06-10-2006, 12:19 AM
Am I the only one that thinks he looks like an older, chunkier Aurilia in that shot?

He looks like Kenny Rogers (the singer). :D

Astrobuddy
06-11-2006, 01:04 PM
Have you seen Kenny Rogers lately??? Even Kenny doesnt look like Kenny anymore after all the plastic surgery he has had.

Crosley68
06-11-2006, 01:31 PM
I sure hope Jeff can find some peace. Good luck to you Jeff!

savafan
01-04-2007, 03:33 AM
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/local/orl-whitley2606dec26,0,5190096.column

PALM BEACH GARDENS -- The big house on the golf course looked haunted. The owner usually decked it out in twinkling lights and stuck a Santa on the chimney.

Last Christmas, there was nothing.

The man who once saved more games than anyone in baseball history lost his son. Then Jeff Reardon lost his mind.

The ultimate act of insanity came a year ago today. Reardon drove to a mall, strolled into a jewelry store and handed the clerk a note.

"I have a gun. Please place $100 bills and jewelry in this bag, and no one will get hurt. Thank you." The courteous robber already had $600 in wallet. It made no sense. Depression isn't supposed to. "A lot of people think it's made up, but it's not," Reardon says. "I had everything. I was the happiest guy in the world. Then all that stuff didn't mean a thing. So I know depression is real."

Dear Shaner,

Mom and I went to your site today. Two years today and still hurts just as much. The hurt will never go away, I'm afraid. I wish I could trade places with you and give you a chance to live your life. You were so well-liked and still are to this day.

Your Dad

Reardon wrote that in his son's guest book at Legacy.com. There are hundreds of entries from around the country on the obituary Web site. The Reardons read them, weep and remember.

Jeff Reardon retired to the good life a dozen years ago. He had three healthy kids, a loving wife and money to do whatever he desired.

He coached some, played a little golf and fished in the pond behind his house. A few people recognized his beard, the one made famous through 367 saves. But mostly, Reardon lived a life of happy anonymity.

"I'm sort of shy," he says. "I talked to reporters my whole life, so that's not hard. But around people, I'm not that open."

Now his life has become an open book ever since his mug shot appeared after his arrest. In the picture, the black beard had turned mostly gray. The eyes that stared down so many batters were vacant.

Reardon was charged with armed robbery. The court ruled him not guilty by reason of insanity. If only the judge could have relieved him of a much deeper remorse.

"The reminders are everywhere," Reardon said. The house once echoed with the sounds of a growing family. Now it's just Reardon, his wife Phebe and their mutt, Alli.

The walls look like you'd expect of a baseball legend who made almost $12 million in his career. Reardon was so good at ending games, they called him "The Terminator." There's a picture of Roger Clemens dumping Gatorade on Reardon when he became the all-time saves leader.

There's also a patched-up spot on one of the walls. Reardon punched a hole through it the night of Feb. 21, 2004. Shane, his 20-year-old son, had died of a drug overdose in his Winter Park apartment.

Shaken foundation

Shane was the middle kid, and the least like his father. His older brother, Jay, was studious and focused. His youngest sister, Kristi, was blossoming into a field hockey standout.

Shane was a roller-hockey whiz, but mostly he was into music. He was the life of every party, able to turn a stranger into a friend in a minute. Some of those friends weren't strangers to trouble.

It was mostly teenage truant stuff, then came the alcohol and drugs.

"He'd try to stay out of trouble, but it almost was like he was bipolar," Jay Reardon said. "One day, he'd be hanging with the good kids doing his homework. The next day, he'd be out who knows where doing who knows what."

Jeff and Phebe did all the things parents do. Tough love, easy love, counseling. They finally sent Shane to Swift River, a boarding school near Reardon's hometown of Dalton, Mass.

"Don't worry, Dad," Shane said. "I'll get straight. You'll see."

He was gone for 14 months. The only contact allowed with his family were letters and infrequent phone calls. Shane always had fancied himself a rapper. He made his parents a video from Swift River, thanking them for their love and support.

When he got home, he got a tattoo on his chest. It was a cross with the word "Salvation." "You could tell," Jay said, "he was a different person." Shane enrolled in Full Sail, the school for art, film, music and media production in Winter Park. He would be near Jay, who'd graduated from UCF and worked in Orlando. Shane lived alone, then Serge Tchekmeian, a friend from Palm Beach Gardens, moved in.

He came home one day and found Shane passed out. According to the sheriff's office report, Tchekmeian thought Shane was drunk. He put him in the shower, then left him on the couch.

It's unclear how much time passed, but another friend eventually came by and said Shane was turning blue. They called 911, but it was too late.

Shane was pronounced dead on the scene. An autopsy found he'd taken a lethal dose of methadone. Deputies found several marijuana plants in Tchekmeian's bedroom and arrested him on three drug-possession charges. "We went nuts," Reardon said. "We were in disbelief."

The mourning never ends when a parent loses a child. It's a matter of learning to live with it. Whether there was a genetic predisposition triggered by the death, the way Shane died or simply not knowing how to cope, depression set in.

"It just shook the very foundation of the Reardons," said Mitchell Beers, the family's attorney. "They just went into a complete cocoon."

Reardon had a lakeside house in Massachusetts. The family went there when it warmed up, but all Reardon could do was think of Shane learning to swim and lighting fireworks from the dock on the Fourth of July.

He sold it. He couldn't just rid himself of the reminders back home. It was too easy to sit by the pool or walk past Shane's room a dozen times a day. When he did go out, the SHANER license plate was on his truck.

He would go to his bedroom, pull the hurricane shutters tight and lie in almost total darkness.

"If depression lingers and festers, it can turn into another type of depression," said Dr. Abbey Strauss, a psychiatrist who diagnosed Reardon. "This becomes more existential and deep."

Disconnecting

That's how Reardon ended up on the Bee Line Highway one night. He pulled over, got out and stood in the road. He'd glared at thousands of batters in his day and won most of those battles.

He stared down an oncoming semi and hoped to lose.

The truck swerved and missed him. That's about all Reardon remembers.

"I think I came home and told Phebe about it," he said.

She took him to a mental hospital, and he was put on suicide watch. Those weeks are a blur, but they tell him he went weeks without taking a shower.

"This is someone from baseball who's used to taking two showers a day in the clubhouse and at home," Reardon said.

Almost 20 million Americans suffer from some form of depression. But Reardon not only had been the happiest guy in the world. He'd spent his adult life in a profession where you can't show weakness.

How could the Terminator melt down like everybody else? "Depression is a deep, nasty disease," Strauss said, "and far more common than people realize." Reardon was taking anti-depressants after being released from the hospital.

Then he had surgery to put a stent in his heart. A few days later, he got up and discovered his coffee maker was broken.

He drove a couple of miles to The Gardens Mall. It was a trip he'd made a couple of hundred times over the years. There are jewelry stores near two entrances, but Reardon went to Hamilton Jewelers, located on the second floor smack in the middle of the mall.

"It was the worst crime caper in history," he said.

The clerk later told police she thought he was deaf and mute. All Reardon remembers is standing in the parking lot and looking into a bag that had $170 in loose bills.

"How the [heck] did I get that?" he asked. He flagged down a mall security guard. "I think I've done something stupid," Reardon said. Stupidity is no excuse under the law. He was arrested, spent a night in jail and released on $5,000 bond. After a dozen years, Reardon's name and face were back in the news.

Beers started looking for a defense. His client had enough money in the bank to buy the store. Why'd he take $170 when he already had $600 in his pocket? It turned out the coffee maker wasn't even broken.

Strauss took a look at Reardon's pharmacy records. Between the depression, the heart condition and other ailments, Reardon was taking 12 different medications.

That apparently had escaped the notice of the various doctors, and the patient was in no shape to alert them.

The drugs had interacted and become a delusional cocktail. After waiting eight months for the trial, the judge quickly found Reardon not guilty by reason of insanity.

One prison had been avoided. Another remains.

Stuck in place

Dear Shaner,

Seeing your brother and sister over Thanksgiving was a pleasure, but without you around was very hard. I am proud to be your father, and I am sure you are very well-liked up there. There is not a day that goes by without you in my thoughts. The pain never goes away.

Your Dad

It's not that friends haven't tried to help. They tell Reardon to get out a little, maybe think about coaching or scouting. He knows they mean well, but they just don't understand.

"It's almost like they're telling us, 'Isn't it time to move on?' " Reardon said. "Don't they realize we're never really going to move on? This will never be out of our minds."

There are four sets of golf clubs in his garage. He can't remember the last time he touched one. Reardon's best friend is Alli, the dog nobody wanted. One of her favorite sleeping spots was Shane's bed.

"That door is wide-open," Reardon said, "and she hasn't gone in there since Shane died."

In the months after his arrest, Reardon's condition was bad enough that doctors tried electroconvulsive therapy. The patient is anesthetized, and the brain is shocked to trigger seizures. It induces partial amnesia, basically erasing some of the pain from a person's memory bank.

Reardon was getting three treatments a week. They became so routine that Phebe would wait in the parking lot, open the door and expect her husband to say something bizarre.

"Did something happen to Shane?" he'd ask.

The goal is not to erase the memories, only to make them easier to live with.

"It might have helped me, who knows?" Reardon said. "It might be the medication or maybe your own body trying to get better."

His arrest and trial were well-covered by local media, and Reardon has done a few interviews in the past couple of months. He's now the kind of public figure strangers recognize, even if they're not sure why at first.

"It is weird," Reardon said. "People know me now more for the robbery than for three-hundred-sixty-something saves."

His voice rises a touch when he talks about his career. He spent most of it in Montreal and Minnesota, happily out of the spotlight. He was the first player to save 30 games in five consecutive seasons.

All that, and in his first year of Hall of Fame eligibility, he fell one vote short of the 5 percent necessary just to remain on the ballot.

"I never cared about recognition, but I got mad when I was taken off the ballot the first year," Reardon said. "I mean, how could I not get even 25 votes? If I'd played for a New York team, I'd probably be in the Hall of Fame, never mind just on the ballot."

That may sound like sour grapes, but it's really the sound of progress. It shows Reardon cares enough to get upset. It wasn't too long ago he didn't care about anything.

"Jeff, I remember Bob Murphy of the NY Mets once described how you got a particular hitter out in a tough situation. 'By reaching back for that something extra.' I saw you pitch for both the Montreal Expos and NY Mets. Wherever you pitched you were successful because you have a lot of heart. Keep good warm memories of Shane in your heart and let that inner strength, 'that something extra,' help you and your family find peace."

Stan B. (Providence, RI).

Forward motion

Reardon is reaching back. Some days, he finds a little extra. Other days, he finds nothing.

"It's almost like I don't feel like I should have fun since losing Shane," he said. "Why should I enjoy anything?"

You tell him because Shane would want him to, but he doesn't seem to hear. He did get a letter from a woman who worked at the cemetery where his son is buried.

She has worked there for 15 years and had hundreds of grief-stricken families come through her office. She told Reardon that for the first time, she had a dream about one of them.

"I had a dream your son is in heaven, and he's telling me he's doing fine," she said. "And to stop worrying."

Did that message get through?

"I don't believe in stuff like that," Reardon said. "But that made me think."

He's down to two medications a day and had what he hopes was his last shock therapy a couple of weeks ago. He's starting to reconnect with friends and is trying to stay occupied.

"I just do a lot of stupid errands," he said.

Like making up an excuse to go to Home Depot and taking a long route to get there. Wherever he goes, he usually gets at least one of those looks.

Before, it might have made him uncomfortable. Now he's accepted it as part of his life.

"He's a man with a level of fame few of us have. And he has a psychological problem, and he's not hiding it," Strauss said. "It allows people to say, 'If Jeff Reardon has the guts to stand up and talk about it, I can.' "

If his story helps someone, great. All Reardon knows is that he wouldn't want anyone to experience what he's gone through.

Dear Shaner,

We have put a Xmas tree at your resting place, knowing how much you loved Xmas. It's a tough time of year for us without you with us. Every day is tough but so many memories come back. I miss you helping me with the lights. Your mom asked me what I wanted for Xmas and I said there is only one thing I want but know I can't have it.

Your Dad

Will he ever be able to accept that?

Last year, the house was dark. This year, people drove by, and what did they see? Lights.

"I'm fighting," Reardon said.

Next year, Santa may be back on the chimney.

RedsBaron
01-04-2007, 07:57 AM
I was going to post a wisecrack on this thread until I read Sava's post. Sad story. No, Reardon didn't properly handle his grief, but I don't feel like posting a wisecrack anymore.

Strikes Out Looking
01-04-2007, 09:16 AM
On a related note, WK has offered him a one-year contract with an option for the Reds 2007 bullpen.

Crosley68
01-04-2007, 09:18 AM
I'm still behind you Jeff! Keep reaching back.

Jpup
01-04-2007, 10:00 AM
I can't imagine. Good luck to him. :thumbup:

Jaycint
01-04-2007, 11:05 AM
My thoughts and prayers go out to Jeff and the rest of his family. I have two children and a third on the way. If I could be granted one wish in life it would be that I don't outlive any of them.

smith288
01-04-2007, 03:16 PM
How horrible it has to be to go through life losing a child. I have three and each is as special to me as the next. Losing any of them would really wreck us as a family.

All the reminders of a child would basically rip open old wounds and torment your very being.

I pray I never have to deal with such a tragedy.

God give strength to Reardon.

bounty37h
01-04-2007, 03:33 PM
Why do I feel deja vue all over again, didn't this happen last year???

Degenerate39
01-04-2007, 07:43 PM
Are you sure he didn't play for the Bengals?

SunDeck
01-04-2007, 08:38 PM
How can yiou waste 11 million dollars?

I don't know, but maybe this guy does:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41312000/jpg/_41312969_daly-getty200.jpg

4256 Hits
01-04-2007, 11:00 PM
I don't know, but maybe this guy does:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41312000/jpg/_41312969_daly-getty200.jpg

His was due to his 3 or 4 wifes and of course a little of this :beerme:

KoryMac5
01-05-2007, 02:03 AM
Some of the wise cracks on this thread are in very poor taste. My heart goes out to Jeff along with my thoughts and prayers. Please think about things before you type, karma is a wicked thing my friends.

bounty37h
01-05-2007, 11:59 AM
Seriously, who was it that something similar happened to last year???

Danny Serafini
01-05-2007, 12:21 PM
It was Jeff Reardon. This thread is over a year old, the recent story was a follow up one year later.

BoydsOfSummer
01-05-2007, 05:00 PM
I'm reading a book by Neil Peart (drummer for RUSH) called Ghost Rider. It's about basically the same thing Reardon is going through and how Neil dealt with it by hopping on his motorcycle and just riding to nowhere in particular.

Heart-wrenching stuff.

bounty37h
01-05-2007, 05:08 PM
Danny, thanks for clearing it up for me, thought I was losing my mind for a moment!