PDA

View Full Version : Most Annoying Rock Singer (Voice Wise)

Sean_CaseyRules
12-27-2005, 11:27 PM
Mine has to be Brian Johnson from AC/DC, he sounds like Donald Duck on Thunderstruck! Now don't get me wrong, AC/DC is my favorite band of all time. I'd have to say that when Bon was lead singer, there music was more apealing to me, but they have had more success with Brian, so maybe im just one who is against the curve....

westofyou
12-27-2005, 11:32 PM
Calvin Johnson from the Halo Benders.

Worlds worst vocalist.

Yachtzee
12-27-2005, 11:34 PM
No. You are correct. Bon Scott > Brian Johnson. I can't stand "screetchers." I put Brian Johnson up there with the lead singer from Cinderella. Can't stand either of them.

Ravenlord
12-28-2005, 12:06 AM
rarely to occasionally annoying:
Alexi Laiho of Children of Bodom
Joacim Cans of HammerFall
Shagrath of Dimmu Borgir
Tom Araya of Slayer
Serj Tanikan of System of A Down

usually annoying:
the dude from The Killers
Chester from Linkin Park

always annoying:
the guitarist from Blink 182
the male vocal from MacBeth
Otep

macro
12-28-2005, 01:09 AM
I love Rush -- those guys are musical geniuses. But I must admit that Getty Lee's voice makes it very hard for me to relax.

ghettochild
12-28-2005, 01:11 AM
the guy from the darkness

Sean_CaseyRules
12-28-2005, 01:51 AM
I love Rush -- those guys are musical geniuses. But I must admit that Getty Lee's voice makes it very hard for me to relax.

Anyone else think that he sounds like the lead singer from Coheed and Cambria?

pedro
12-28-2005, 02:16 AM

I think Geddy Lee sounds like Gwen Stefani.

Ravenlord
12-28-2005, 04:05 AM
that's in part because Claudio Sanchez admits Rush as one of his primary muscial influences...soeciffacally, tryinig to sound like Lee.*

GAC
12-28-2005, 06:22 AM
Freddie Mercury of Queen.

Jpup
12-28-2005, 07:50 AM
Marilyn Manson. :bang:

Worst singer ever.

Rob Zombie would be a close second.:thumbdown

SunDeck
12-28-2005, 09:49 AM
I think it's easy to list the screamers- after all, what heavy metal singer isn't trying to sound cursed, demented, or at the very least displeasing to the average adult ear? I mean, that's the point, isn't it?

Let's consider people who are really trying to "sing", who put all the effort they can into using their voice as a "musical" instrument, but who fail miserably. My list would be:

From the "My voice is deep and grungy...isn't it cool?" school:
Scott Stapp
Brad Roberts

From the "I can sing really high, but I'm not a girl." school:
Geddy Lee
Steve Perry

From the "I am wrapped in a blanket, snuggling by the fireplace." school:
Jewel
Sarah McLachlan
This list could go on forever.

From the "I am an effete intellectual, who feels more pain than you can imagine." school:
Fiona Apple
Scott Stapp...again. What an idiot.

GAC
12-28-2005, 09:57 AM
While I have always enjoyed his songwriting gift and music - Neil Young. ;)

westofyou
12-28-2005, 10:12 AM
While I have always enjoyed his songwriting gift and music - Neil Young. ;)
Back in the day I was listening to After the Gold Rush and my father said "That guy sounds like he has a stomach ache"

20 years later I get in his car and he's listening to Harvest Moon.. go figure.

cincinnati chili
12-28-2005, 12:18 PM
That guy from Psychedelic Furs and Love Spit love.

At one time, I would have said the late Wesley Willis, but at least his out-of-tune stylings had some comedic merit.

jregensb
12-28-2005, 12:31 PM
Calvin Johnson from the Halo Benders.

Worlds worst vocalist.

Is that the same Calvin Johnson that was in Beat Happening?

There was a t-shirt that circulated out west in the early 90s, it read something along the lines of "Calvin Johnson ruined rock for an entire generation".

Kind of true, though I still hold a soft spot in my heart for the naive charms of some of those K Records releases.

westofyou
12-28-2005, 12:35 PM
Is that the same Calvin Johnson that was in Beat Happening?Yep, last time I saw Calvin he jumped on stage at a Built to Spill show ( another forgettable voice Doug has) and killed my buzz with massive waves of suckitude.

Bachman from Archers of Loaf has a lovely pipes as well.

CrackerJack
12-28-2005, 12:58 PM
Matchbox 20 lead singer Rob Thomas.

There really is no comparison in suckitude.

dman
12-28-2005, 01:12 PM
Give me a moment to get behind cover to avoid the stones that will be thrown at me:

Kurt Cobain

zombie-a-go-go
12-28-2005, 01:34 PM
Give me a moment to get behind cover to avoid the stones that will be thrown at me:

Kurt Cobain

*stone thrown*

That guy from Bush. Yeah. And that guy from Oasis, he annoys me. And That fat dude from Blues Traveler.

zombie-a-go-go
12-28-2005, 01:36 PM
Oh, I forgot Joan Osborne, Susan Tedeschi, and Alanis Morrisette.

westofyou
12-28-2005, 01:40 PM
Joan? Yikes she has great pipes.

My favorite crappy voice J Mascis.

Blimpie
12-28-2005, 01:46 PM
Freddie Mercury of Queen.GAC: If I were you, I wouldn't answer any PMs from Michael Allred...

After I once made a innocent "butt-less chaps" comment about Freddie, I thought Michael was going to mail me a pipe bomb.

jregensb
12-28-2005, 02:07 PM
That guy from Bush. Yeah. And that guy from Oasis, he annoys me. And That fat dude from Blues Traveler.

I like that. Those guys suck so bad you can't even be bothered to learn their names.

gonelong
12-28-2005, 02:10 PM
GAC: If I were you, I wouldn't answer any PMs from Michael Allred...

After I once made a innocent "butt-less chaps" comment about Freddie, I thought Michael was going to mail me a pipe bomb.

There is nothing innocent about "butt-less chaps" ... or so I have heard. :eek:

GL

CrackerJack
12-28-2005, 02:34 PM
Joan? Yikes she has great pipes.

Yep, Jay couldn't be left out of this thread - best unapologetic non-singing voice.

For that matter Dave Lowery should be up there with Jay as the most likeable non-singers ever.

CrackerJack
12-28-2005, 02:36 PM

Kurt Cobain

Wow, Kurt had a great rock voice - one of the best ever.

Screaming shouldn't count. ;) But the man could sing a good tune.

westofyou
12-28-2005, 02:40 PM
Yep, Jay couldn't be left out of this thread - best unapologetic non-singing voice.

For that matter Dave Lowery should be up there with Jay as the most likeable non-singers ever.
Going to CVB and Cracker on NYE, 2 miles from my house.

westofyou
12-28-2005, 02:41 PM
Malkamus, a PDX resident has a pretty bad voice as well.

cincinnati chili
12-28-2005, 03:16 PM
Zombie - Bush was a good call. Joan Osborne was a terrible call. I saw her multiple times before she got famous, in small clubs. She can sing.

KittyDuran
12-28-2005, 05:12 PM
While I have always enjoyed his songwriting gift and music - Neil Young. ;)Me, too... and you can add Bob Dylan to the list of singer/songwriters who shouldn't sing.

Ravenlord
12-28-2005, 05:19 PM
after all, what heavy metal singer isn't trying to sound cursed, demented, or at the very least displeasing to the average adult ear?Udo Dirkscheirer (Accept), Layne Staley (Alice in Chains), Johanna DePierre (Amaran), Joey Belladona (Anthrax), Jon Bush (Anthrax, Armored Saint), Lotta Hoglin (Beseech), Erik Molarin (Beseech), Zakk Wylde (Black Label Society, Pride & Glory), Hansi Kursch (Blind Guardian), Alice Cooper, Ron Royce (Coroner), Patrick Lachman (Damageplan), Glen Danzig, Michael Hansson (Debase), Sean Harris (Diamond Head), Ronnie James Dio, David Draiman (Disturbed), Jonas Heidgert (Dragonland), Niklas Isfeldt (Dream Evil), James LaBrie (Dream Theater), Tobias Sammet (Edguy), Amy Lee (Evanescence), Tom S. Englund (Evergrey), Dave Patton (Faith No More), Ray Alder (Fate's Warning), Kai Hanson (Gamma Ray, Helloween), Joacim Cans (HammerFall), Michaek Kiske (Helloween), Gene Adams (Iced Earth), Matt Barlow (Iced Earth), Jon Schaffer (Iced Earth), Tim Owens (Iced Earth, Judas Priest), Bruce Dickinson (Iron Maiden), Jack Frost, Bob Parduba (Jag Panzer), Rob Halford (Judas Priest, Fight), Kahn (Kamelot), Cristina Scabbia (Lacuna Coil), Rickard Bengtsson (Last Tribe), Charles Rytkönen (LeFay), Vernon Reid (Living Colour), Eric Adams (ManOwaR), Dave Mustaine (Megadeth), David Wayne (Metal Church), Jonny Lindkvist (Nocturnal Rites), Freddy Persson (Nostradameus), Ozzy Osbourne, Anders Fridén (Passenger) Tommy Victor (Prong), Geoff Tate (Queensryche), Fabio Lione (Rhapsody), Jon Oliva (Savatage), Zak Stevens (Savatage, Circle II Circle), Damond Jiniya (Savatage), Lajorn (Sevendust), Mike Baker (Shadow Gallery), Brian Fair (Shadows Fall), Sebastian Bach (Skid Row), Mark Slaughter (Slaughter), Corey Taylor (Stonesour, Slipknot), Daneil Inkess (Stormwitch), Urban Breed (Tad Morose), Maynard (Tool, A Perfect Circle), Dee Snider (Twisted Sister), Peter Steele (Type O Negative), Bryan Scott (Union Underground), Blackie Lawless (WASP), William J. Tsamis (Warlord), Alex Møklebust (Zeromancer) to just name a few of the metal vocalists who don't "try to make a sound displeasing to the ear."

I mean, that's the point, isn't it?depends on the song and band.

Matt700wlw
12-28-2005, 05:28 PM
From the "I am wrapped in a blanket, snuggling by the fireplace."
Jewel

[B]

I'd like to join her

Matt700wlw
12-28-2005, 05:30 PM
*stone thrown*

That guy from Bush.

He sounds like he's trying to force out a turd

redsfanmia
12-28-2005, 07:10 PM
Stevie Nicks has got to be at the top of this list, she sounds like a goat.

Jpup
12-28-2005, 07:19 PM
I think it's easy to list the screamers- after all, what heavy metal singer isn't trying to sound cursed, demented, or at the very least displeasing to the average adult ear? I mean, that's the point, isn't it?

Let's consider people who are really trying to "sing", who put all the effort they can into using their voice as a "musical" instrument, but who fail miserably. My list would be:

From the "My voice is deep and grungy...isn't it cool?" school:
Scott Stapp
Brad Roberts

From the "I can sing really high, but I'm not a girl." school:
Geddy Lee
Steve Perry

Jewel
Sarah McLachlan
This list could go on forever.

From the "I am an effete intellectual, who feels more pain than you can imagine." school:
Fiona Apple
Scott Stapp...again. What an idiot.

Wow, Stapp is my favorite singer. :lol:

TeamBoone
12-28-2005, 07:53 PM
Matchbox 20 lead singer Rob Thomas.

There really is no comparison in suckitude.

I love Rob Thomas' voice; in fact, he's one of my favorites. One man's trash is another man's treasure (very subjective subject, music).

And Ravenlord, you're just showing off. :p:

StillFunkyB
12-28-2005, 08:23 PM
Michael Stipe.

All he does is whine. Then again so does Adam Duritz, and I can handle CC more than REM.

Who said the guy from SOD? Which one is that, the guy with the pointy goatee? or the other one? I don't know their names, but the guy with the facial hair actually has a good voice when he actually sings.

paintmered
12-28-2005, 10:25 PM
Not a rock singer by any means, but I think this guy has the worst voice ever.

linkypoo (http://www.fredmckinnon.com/media/OHolyNight.mp3)

Edit: try to hang through the entire song. It gets even better towards the end.

bucksfan
12-28-2005, 10:41 PM
Bruce Springsteen for me (i just don't care for his voice), John Popper (the Blues Traveler guy - I think that is what his name is), Alanis, the lead singer from Quiet Riot

marcshoe
12-29-2005, 12:11 AM
Though I can listen to Def Leppard, Joe Elliot's voice just bugs me at times. Something about his enunciation.

Johnny Footstool
12-29-2005, 12:19 AM
Jonathan Richman's voice and ridiculous inflections make me retch.

Scott Stapp's real voice is starting to sound like Trey Parker's highly-affected imitation on South Park.

I also hate, HATE the "singer" from Cake. Ugh.

Agreed, except for "Flying Cloud." There's no excuse for that.

Falls City Beer
12-29-2005, 12:38 AM
Joni Mitchell. Icepick in the brain.

And Kurt Cobain's voice was the best thing about Nirvana--it sure as hell wasn't the songwriting.

Rock is so full of bad singers, it's probably a better exercise to locate the few (very few) good singers out there than trying to approach it the other way around. But maybe not. I'm sitting here trying to isolate bad ones, and they're just too damn numerous to list.

Ravenlord
12-29-2005, 12:42 AM
And Kurt Cobain's voice was the best thing about Nirvana--it sure as hell wasn't the songwriting.or musical ability...

Dom Heffner
12-29-2005, 01:40 AM
Joni Mitchell. Icepick in the brain.

When I hear River, the last thing I want to do is put an icepick into my brain. Ugh, that's a beautiful song.

Worst of the Worst

Tom Waits - There is a moment on the Rod Stewart "Behind the Music" where Rod is talking about covering Tom Wait's "Downtown Train," and he says something like, "I think I just heard a melody there that Tom didn't..."

No one can hear a melody coming from that awful, awful voice, Rod. Not a collie or Will Rogers. I'll bet even Larry King thinks he's terrible. Tom didn't hear a melody because he is incapable of creating one.

I don't care if the critics rave about him, place his albums in the top 50 every year, blah, blah, blah. He is terrible. Please tell me someone agrees with me here.

Honorable Mention

Neil Young. I saw him on SNL the other night and he just needs to stop. Really.

He can place a Crosby, a Stills, a Nash, or anything along with him and all I hear is that sound coming from his throat that is a mix between the Nanny and a puppy crying.

I think he sings with all of these different groups to cover his voice up, and he isn't going to stop until he finds someone who can.

Duran Duran, Manilow, and Young is due out in the Fall of 2006.

Overrated

Fiona Apple. Got the new CD because I heard it was brilliant.

For me to poop on. Half. com, here I come: $3.99 in Like New condition.

Never Understood the Fascination With

Rush. Oh dear god that guy cannot sing. I even listened to them high and they still sucked.

"But Neil Peart is the best drummer in the world."

I tell you, I listen to bands for drummers like I eat sandwiches for the lettuce.

Space-rock concept album anyone? Wow, let's listen to 15 songs in a row that tell a story about outer space or Canada (same difference). I have an idea- let's not and not even pretend we ever thought about doing that.

Worst Singer I Don't Know the Name Of

The dude that sings that song, "Take it slow, take it slow, this time we'll take it slow..."

They used to play the video for it on VH constantly- the video is an all-white background and it's just this idiot playing his piano and singing this god-awful song with awkward lyrics (something how he's "passed the infatuation phase")that no man could ever sing with a straight face. Whoever wrote that song either bought a very lousy Christmas gift for someone or needs to get some very badly (I just looked him up- his name is John Legend).

Wow, this is fun. Someone start another thread about things we don't like.

I'm on a roll. :)

GAC
12-29-2005, 04:40 AM
GAC: If I were you, I wouldn't answer any PMs from Michael Allred...

:lol:

I understand.

But the thread is about singing voice preference (annoying), not sexual preference. His sexual preference didn't bother nor annoy me - his singing voice did. ;)

I understand what some are saying about Geddy Lee of Rush, but I've always liked this band. Now if he ever went solo that might be another story.

For many years the rumor was that Rod Stewart got his raspy singing voice by accidentally drinking a scolding liguid (water?). I always wondered if there was any truth to that?

Even though I liked the band, another voice that could grate on you after awhile was David Byron of Uriah Heep. But I am a Heep fan. Got their anthology about a year ago.

RedsBaron
12-29-2005, 07:06 AM
Me, too... and you can add Bob Dylan to the list of singer/songwriters who shouldn't sing.
Dylan was the first person I thought of when I saw this thread. While he's not really a rock singer, Kris Kristofferson was another person who came to my mind. Both Dylan and Kristofferson are talented songwriters who cannot carry a tune.

RedsBaron
12-29-2005, 07:11 AM
Rock is so full of bad singers, it's probably a better exercise to locate the few (very few) good singers out there than trying to approach it the other way around. But maybe not. I'm sitting here trying to isolate bad ones, and they're just too damn numerous to list.
There was an article earlier this year in "American Heritage" magazine in which the writer argued that Elvis Presley, while sometimes called the "King of Rock 'n Roll", actually belonged more with the generation of crooners who preceded him rather than the rockers who followed him.
I believe that there was some truth to that assertion. While Elvis did not always have the best choice in material, he could flat out sing. Too many rock singers who came after him could scream but could not sing IMO.

westofyou
12-29-2005, 11:00 AM
Please tell me someone agrees with me here.I sure do.. and I'm surrounded by people who think otherwise.

Their loss, my gain.

Neil Young. I saw him on SNL the other night and he just needs to stop. Really. My gain, your loss.

CrackerJack
12-29-2005, 11:21 AM
Going to CVB and Cracker on NYE, 2 miles from my house.

Nice, that'll be a good time. Saw the Lowery/Hickman acoustic show at the Southgate house a few weeks ago myself here in Cincy. Travel regionally to CVB whenever I can...good stuff.

SunDeck
12-29-2005, 11:25 AM
Wow, Stapp is my favorite singer. :lol:

I am so sorry for you Jpup. You seemed to have a bright future ahead of you. Luckily, you are young.
:laugh:

vaticanplum
12-29-2005, 11:41 AM
Tom Waits - There is a moment on the Rod Stewart "Behind the Music" where Rod is talking about covering Tom Wait's "Downtown Train," and he says something like, "I think I just heard a melody there that Tom didn't..."
[/QUOTE]

I kind of think Tom Waits is a musical god, but I understand where you're coming from. The thing is that he doesn't use his voice the way most singers do, not as a supplement to the music, but kind of as part of the music itself (this is a horrible thing to try to say because there's really no way to say it...) He manipulates it to suit the sound and mood of the song, and occasionally, given the song, to work against it, but all for the bigger picture of the whole of the song. It's almost theatrical, and hence not something that people want to put on while they're cleaning the house or whatever. His music isn't made for the same reasons as a lot of pop music is. That sounds incredibly pretentious, but it's true.

Whoever said Michael Stipe, though...A-freaking-men.

also, I can't quote.

marcshoe
12-29-2005, 11:48 AM
Also, with one song, Photograph, the lead singer of Nickelback has erased any memories I had of what he sounded like before, and his voice continues to scrape down the chalkboard of my subconscious.

bomarl1969
12-29-2005, 11:51 AM
Voice Wise-Eddie Vedder, Adam Sandler had him down pat!

marcshoe
12-29-2005, 12:21 PM
btw, i've remembered what annoys me so much about Joe Elliot. It's the way he occasionally sounds like he's throwing up when he's singing.

Just a little thing.

Dom Heffner
12-29-2005, 12:43 PM
I kind of think Tom Waits is a musical god, but I understand where you're coming from.

Thanks for the nice post and an attempt to explain the mystery of Tom Waits to me.

His music isn't made for the same reasons as a lot of pop music is. That sounds incredibly pretentious, but it's true.

There are literally thousands of non-pop singers who don't need an art-world explanation to their music. I would place Tom Waits in the Jackson Pollack category. You can call it wonderful all day, I just don't see it. At some point, if messiness is art, then we are all artists- it becomes impossible to tell the difference between my father singing in the shower, and Barbra Streisand.

As someone who dislikes much of what is liked by many, I can normally at least see why people like what they do. I cannot stand Creed, but I can generally find the pop hook in the song. I realize Tom Waits, in singing against the hook, isn't trying to do that, but a song that has no structure is like an automobile with a square tire for me. Sure, it's different and it might be cool to like it because it is, but using it is another matter entirely.

I have liked Tom Waits songs, but never when he is singing them. I heard the original version of "I Hope That I Don't Fall in Love With You" and didn't recognize it. It had no hook, and for me, that's what keeps me coming back. There's a natural inclination of the ear to hear melody (even with metal there's melody- think of System of a Down). I'm not talking about an "Oops...I did it again" type thing, but just a structure where I can nail down what I'm hearing and become famiiar with it.

I hear Tom Waits sing and it sounds like he is having a lousy time. To quote Roger Ebert, it's like a sideshow at the circus where a guy bites the head off a chicken: it's no fun for him, for us, or for the chicken.

From what you've written, I'm thinking that Tom Waits is liked by some because he goes against the grain of the established pop world. There are too many artists who have done that without wrecking the appeal of a song for me to accept Waits as a good singer.

But thanks a bunch for the explanation. I'll try to digest it and rethink my opinion. :)

marcshoe
12-29-2005, 01:14 PM
Well, I like Tom Waits. . . .

but I also like Jackson Pollack.

I do remember seeing an interview years ago with the actor Michael Moriarty, who had just recorded an album. Moriarty compared his voice to Tom Waits.

My reaction was that Tom Waits is great, and his voice is part of the package. It's part of what makes him who he is. But for another singer--particularly someone who had acheived a modicum of fame in another field and was trying to parlay that fame into record sales--to say, "I sound like Tom Waits," well, that told me I didn't necessarily want to go out and buy Moriarty's album.

Although he was much better in "Bang The Drum Slowly" than Waits would have been. :rockband:

pedro
12-29-2005, 01:17 PM
I like Tom Waits because of the album "Heart of Saturday Night" and his cover of the Eagles "Ol '55" but I can understand why people don't like his voice. Much like Dylan's it's a voice that was never very good and has just gotten worse over time.

westofyou
12-29-2005, 01:21 PM
and his cover of the Eagles "Ol '55" Waits wrote that, got mad at the Eagles for using a Pedal steel on their version.

TeamBoone
12-29-2005, 01:24 PM
Well, I like Tom Waits. . . .

but I also like Jackson Pollack.

I do remember seeing an interview years ago with the actor Michael Moriarty, who had just recorded an album. Moriarty compared his voice to Tom Waits.

I don't know anything about Moriarty sounding like Waits because I have never heard him sing. I do know that he loves music and often jams in Greenwich Village clubs. Didn't know about the album either.

Falls City Beer
12-29-2005, 01:31 PM
Waits wrote that, got mad at the Eagles for using a Pedal steel on their version.

I get mad at the Eagles just for existing.

marcshoe
12-29-2005, 01:35 PM
I don't know anything about Moriarty sounding like Waits because I have never heard him sing. I do know that he loves music and often jams in Greenwich Village clubs. Didn't know about the album either.
It's been many years, and I may have missed his point. he may have simply been lowering expectations, saying the voice wasn't really the thing.

Who knows. My memory is full of tiny, moth-eaten holes.

Maybe I'll rummage around online and try to find Moriarty singing somewhere.

vaticanplum
12-29-2005, 02:13 PM
From what you've written, I'm thinking that Tom Waits is liked by some because he goes against the grain of the established pop world. There are too many artists who have done that without wrecking the appeal of a song for me to accept Waits as a good singer.

Yeah, I'd say for some people that's true. I wouldn't even say he's a good singer, but he's a very good musician. He's an excellent pianist and he does all of his own arranging with his wife, I believe.

Some of his songs actually are plain pleasing to the ear, in my opinon, with traditional structure and melody. Picture in a Frame is about as straightforward and pretty a melody as you can get. Time (a song that utterly destroys me every time I listen to it) is another one that comes to mind. Most of his songs that fall into this category are slower and piano-based and he tends to tone his voice down for them (it's still unmistakably Tom Waits though).

A great young singer whom I love a lot is Ed Harcourt, whose songs have a lot of the musical qualities of Tom Waits without the voice affectation. He's like English Tom Waits Lite.

SunDeck
12-29-2005, 02:17 PM
Tom Waits did a song on a children's album (yes, really) called "Bend Down the Branches". It's the only song my three year old daughter tells me to skip. Of all the musicians in the world, would it occur to any sane person that Waits would be a good pick, I ask?

Also on the album, Raine Maida is absolutely terrible singing "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star". How could anyone mess up that song? Luckily, Chantal Kreviazuk's performance at least cancels out his suckitude. Not that I know a thing about her; she just does a good job softening the idiocy that Maida brought to the project.

cjtenn28
12-29-2005, 02:27 PM
Have to vote for the guy from Rush. I never could stand to listen to them. Also throw in any teeny bopper/ boy bands

M2
12-29-2005, 02:27 PM
As for most annoying rock singer, I have two categories that pretty much act like fingernails down a blackboard for me.

1) Snot punk vocalists - The lead singers from Good Charlotte and Simple Plan fit the bill. Incredibly shallow, constantly whiny voices. Oddly I give Blink 182 a pass on this because I figure they deserve some credit for semi-originality (though "semi-" might be stretching it).

2) Speed metal vocalists - Forget that they're all ripping off Lemmy from Motorhead and Cal from Discharge ... poorly. It's artless, guttural pap, ranking somewhere below the The Singing Dogs version of "Jingle Bells." Why not just burp the lyrics? That would at least be funny.

redsfanmia
12-29-2005, 07:15 PM
I have noticed that Neil Young has been mentioned here by more than one person and one person said that he should just stop. I have one question have you listened to his last album Prarie Wind? Its excellent. How could anyone who sings Long may you run be one a list of worst singers?

Dom Heffner
12-29-2005, 08:10 PM
How could anyone who sings Long may you run be one a list of worst singers?

Perhaps I'm turning into Marty Brennaman in my old age, but it's pretty easy, really: Just have a voice like Neil Young's. I"m telling you, he collaborates with so many people because he sounds awful by himself. :)

I have one question have you listened to his last album Prarie Wind?

No need to. I heard the song he did on SNL- a terrible song about Elvis- and I realized he hasn't changed anything. Perhaps he'll come out with a new record entitled "NKOTB and Young" where he sings with Joey McIntyre and Jordan Knight.

I'm sure he is one of the finest songwriters of all time- that's why I placed him under the category I did of not understanding the following. I normally like the singer-songwriter types (I love Neko Case and Conor Oberst), but Young does nothing for me.

Of course this is just opinion - and why this discussion drives a few posters nuts- but we were asked to give ours, and he was one of the first ones that came to mind.

Scott Stapp was actually the first, but someone stole my thunder there. Stapp is yet another from the genre I call "Butt Rock," which is essentially dudes that dress and act like they are bad asses or big rock stars, yet sing power ballads aimed at 15 year old girls. The Goo Goo Dolls used to be punk and now they have migrated into this category (though I like their music, strangely enough), and Switchfoot is probably the closest thing I've ever heard to personifying the term. You just rough up a voice and put it to palatable music.

In 20 years you are going to see a commercial featuring Jon Foreman and Lindsay Lohan reminiscing about the glory days of butt rock.

(Gravely voice):Time-Life presents..."The Butt Rock collection!!!! A 7 CD set featuring the best of butt rock from the 80s, 90s and beyond! They're all here: Bon Jovi, Poison, Creed, Switchfoot..."

TeamBoone
12-29-2005, 08:13 PM
I guess Joe Cocker fits into this category, but do I ever love his music.

Dom Heffner
12-29-2005, 08:21 PM
I'd say you are right, TB. He sounds awful but he has an appeal to many.

M2
12-29-2005, 08:40 PM
Neil Young and Joe Cocker aren't what I'd call melodioius fellows, but they are new mint originals. That gets more points with me than being some garden variety "good singer." Frankly, rock 'n' roll ain't about singing well or even playing well. There's opera and symphonies if that's what you want.

For instance, you can listen to the Beatles' sappy version of "A Little Help from My Friends", but Joe Cocker, raspy voice and all, takes that song to heights the boys from Liverpool never imagined. He may not sing very well, but he sure as hell knows how to deliver.

Same with Neil Young. All three of the CSN guys have better voices and yet if CSN were to play their last show ever in the Arctic Circle next week how many people do you think would show up? If Neil Young did it you'd set a record for number of people inside the Arctic Circle in January. Why? Because he's great. No, he doesn't sing well. So what. He's great.

Dom Heffner
12-29-2005, 08:45 PM
If Neil Young did it you'd set a record for number of people inside the Arctic Circle in January. Why? Because he's great. No, he doesn't sing well. So what. He's great.

This point reminds me of the question, "Can 50,000,000 Bon Jovi fans be wrong?"

To which the answer is a resounding, "frequently." :)

redsfanmia
12-29-2005, 08:53 PM
I agree Neil Young is not the worlds greatest crooner but the guy can carry a tune and is a fantastic songwriter. Neil is a rare bird, the guy is an artist. I think he is great but thats just my opinion, I could be wrong.

pedro
12-29-2005, 08:54 PM
Neil may have a bad voice, but he's a fantastic songwriter and live performer. I've seen him 10-15 times and he always puts on a great show. His act on SNL last weeek may have been a little luster but having seeen CSN with and without Neil I'll have to agree with M2. CSN is pretty boring without Neil.

Johnny Footstool
12-29-2005, 08:57 PM
Jimi Hendrix was a horrible singer. His voice actually detracts from my enjoyment of his guitar playing.

redsfanmia
12-29-2005, 08:57 PM
Neil may have a bad voice, but he's a fantastic songwriter and live performer. I've seen him 10-15 times and he always puts on a great show. His act on SNL last weeek may have been a little luster but having seeen CSN with and without Neil I'll have to agree with M2. CSN is pretty boring without Neil.

I saw Neil on an acustic (sp?) tour with just him on stage it was the best concert I have ever seen. He was even taking requests, not many artists would even attempt this yet alone nail it like Neil did.

pedro
12-29-2005, 08:59 PM
Jimi Hendrix was a horrible singer. His voice actually detracts from my enjoyment of his guitar playing.

as does his songwriting for the most part IMO. Man could rip a great cover tune though.

Ravenlord
12-29-2005, 09:29 PM
Why not just burp the lyrics? That would at least be funny.
Emporer and Hellhammer say 'hi.'

BUTLER REDSFAN
12-29-2005, 09:59 PM
alanis morisette(fingers on a chalkboard)..whoever told bob dylan he could sing??? also not that they are considered rock but lord the beach boys sound so bad i lose bowel control

pedro
12-29-2005, 10:17 PM
The Beach Boys can't sing? Hmmm.

I'm guessing you've never listened to "Pet Sounds".

alex trevino
12-29-2005, 10:44 PM
the guy from CHICAGO every song sounds the same...along those same lines Sting.

Betterread
12-29-2005, 10:57 PM
The Beach Boys can't sing? Hmmm.

I'm guessing you've never listened to "Pet Sounds".

Harmony is not for everyone. Its why more people appreciate the Beatles'songs rather than Schubert's.

pedro
12-29-2005, 11:17 PM
Harmony is not for everyone. Its why more people appreciate the Beatles'songs rather than Schubert's.

Oh, I can understand not liking it. But the Beach Boys could sing. Especially Carl. As for the Beatles, well, IIRC they could sing pretty well too.

gonelong
12-29-2005, 11:28 PM
I hate all of them at all times for all reasons.

There, I said it. :)

GL

M2
12-30-2005, 12:04 AM
the guy from CHICAGO every song sounds the same...along those same lines Sting.

And Natalie Merchant.

Dom Heffner
12-30-2005, 12:13 AM
And Natalie Merchant.

There was a time I worshipped her, but those days are long gone. That voice drives me nuts now.

M2
12-30-2005, 12:24 AM
Oh, I can understand not liking it. But the Beach Boys could sing. Especially Carl. As for the Beatles, well, IIRC they could sing pretty well too.

In fact, one of the criticisms of the Beatles is that they sung too well and it undercut the band when it was trying for a more urgent sound. Sometimes they'd nail it ("Helter Skelter", "Polythene Pam", "Happiness Is a Warm Gun"), sometimes they came off too pretty ("Getting Better", "Nowhere Man", "Help!"). Arguably, it's the ability to howl that makes for a great rock 'n' roll vocal. Can you tap into something primal?

Johnny, I actually kind of like Jimi Hendrix's vocals. His voice isn't like everybody else's. He's 85% of the way to achieving some sort of Cheech Wizard spoken word effect over the top of his riffs. I think it's kind of cool.

GAC
12-30-2005, 05:20 AM
I get mad at the Eagles just for existing.

There's two things we agree on FCB. :lol:

Though I do love the guy (a loyal Ohioan) - Joe Walsh

Sean_CaseyRules
12-30-2005, 03:55 PM
I cant believe that no one has said this one yet, MACY GRAY, she sounds like a guy! I cant stand girls who sing with REALLY raspy voices

Dom Heffner
12-30-2005, 04:08 PM
I cant stand girls who sing with REALLY raspy voices

I love Stevie Nicks, though. Bonnie Tyler is the only other raspy voice I can think of right now, and she was okay for an 80s cheesehead.

"Total Eclipse of the Heart" brings to mind all of those near-epic Jim Steinman songs where the production is overblown and you hear wind and thunder in the background.

I want to say he wrote "Making Love Out of Nothing at All" by Air Supply and "It's All Coming Back to Me Now."

You've heard one, you've heard them all.

Whoever said "Pancho and Lefty" is dead on the money, and I am going to have to hear "Just Like Heaven" performed by Dinosaur, Jr. Hard to see how that song could be any better.

pedro
12-30-2005, 04:49 PM
..... and I am going to have to hear "Just Like Heaven" performed by Dinosaur, Jr. Hard to see how that song could be any better.

They crush it. It's insane. And I like the Cure's version a lot.

pedro
12-30-2005, 04:52 PM
As for annoying voices. Crash Test Dummies guy.

TeamBoone
12-30-2005, 08:22 PM

I don't know, his voice is kinda cool.

pedro
12-30-2005, 09:49 PM
I don't know, his voice is kinda cool.

I just find it annoying but TMBS I do like a lot of bands with singers that others hate such as Built To Spill, Dinosaur Jr., Neil Young.

cincinnati chili
12-30-2005, 10:15 PM
And Natalie Merchant.

Good call. Natalie Merchant is "of butt."

I don't get the hate for Joni Mitchell, at least in her heyday. I like the singer from Cake too.

cincinnati chili
12-30-2005, 10:17 PM

Whether you love or hate the CT Dummies, Weird Al's parody of him was sheer brilliance. The first time I heard it, I started laughing when he said the word "kid," and stopped laughing about a week later.

Falls City Beer
12-30-2005, 10:49 PM
I don't get the hate for Joni Mitchell, at least in her heyday.

Yeah, Joni Mitchell's one of those singers that "you're supposed to like," you know, "real serious." I call it "real boring." But maybe I'm conflating songwriting and voice, or maybe they're inseparable. I don't know. But when I hear her songs, I go looking for pillows to lay my head on and go to sleep.

Dom Heffner
12-30-2005, 10:55 PM
Yeah, Joni Mitchell's one of those singers that "you're supposed to like," you know, "real serious." I call it "real boring." But maybe I'm conflating songwriting and voice, or maybe they're inseparable.

River is such a cool song, though. I own Blue, and haven't heard a single song other than that one because I just keep hitting repeat.

Pedro- I used to play Dinosaur Jr when I had a college radio show (Earlham College in Richmond, Indiana) and they were a little whacked out even for that school's tastes. Is it faithful to The Cure's version or will I even recognize it? That song is sacred- don't know if I could go for a cover.

M2
12-30-2005, 10:56 PM
Yeah, Joni Mitchell's one of those singers that "you're supposed to like," you know, "real serious." I call it "real boring." But maybe I'm conflating songwriting and voice, or maybe they're inseparable. I don't know. But when I hear her songs, I go looking for pillows to lay my head on and go to sleep.

Joni Mitchell was responsible for the one bad song on Zep 4 ... crime against nature.

Falls City Beer
12-30-2005, 11:11 PM
Joni Mitchell was responsible for the one bad song on Zep 4 ... crime against nature.

And responsible for me losing my libido at inopportune times....

Betterread
12-30-2005, 11:33 PM
Is it faithful to The Cure's version or will I even recognize it? That song is sacred- don't know if I could go for a cover.
It's a good cover, released as a single between "freak scene" and "the wagon". You should listen to it. I prefer Dinosaur's version - they were a great live band and I saw them during that time and this song rocked pretty effectively with a cool guitar solo.

TeamBoone
12-30-2005, 11:59 PM
Speaking of "river", I haven't heard any version of "Take Me to the River" that I don't like... the original of course, but the Eurythmics did a terrific take on it.

Actually, it wasn't the Eurythmics... just Annie Lennox.

pedro
12-31-2005, 02:13 AM
Pedro- I used to play Dinosaur Jr when I had a college radio show (Earlham College in Richmond, Indiana) and they were a little whacked out even for that school's tastes. Is it faithful to The Cure's version or will I even recognize it? That song is sacred- don't know if I could go for a cover.

I'd say it's pretty faithful within the construct of what Dinosaur Jr. is, i.e. big guitars, bad voice etc etc. But there is no mistaking IMO that they did it b/c Jay loves the song too and is a fan of the Cure. It's one of the greatest covers ever IMO.

pedro
12-31-2005, 02:15 AM
It's a good cover, released as a single between "freak scene" and "the wagon". You should listen to it. I prefer Dinosaur's version - they were a great live band and I saw them during that time and this song rocked pretty effectively with a cool guitar solo.

jay still rocks. I saw him twice this year. Once with "The Fog" and once with Dinosaur jr.

GAC
12-31-2005, 03:56 AM
I love Stevie Nicks, though. Bonnie Tyler is the only other raspy voice I can think of right now

How about Kim Carnes? ;)

marcshoe
12-31-2005, 04:59 AM
btw, I haven't mentioned Yoko here simply because it wouldn't be fair to the others. She's in a different class of badness, kind of like a major leaguer on a t-ball team.

Ravenlord
12-31-2005, 06:26 AM
btw, I haven't mentioned Yoko here simply because it wouldn't be fair to the others. She's in a different class of badness, kind of like a major leaguer on a t-ball team.
never heard a black metal 'singer' have you?

marcshoe
12-31-2005, 08:57 AM

Actually, yes, but I've tried to supress the memory. :evil:

GAC
12-31-2005, 09:44 AM

Its best to not mention her. She's not even good enough to be mentioned in the same class as bad singers. :lol:

John once said that the B-52's copied her sound. I'm glad I never got into them then. ;)

marcshoe
12-31-2005, 09:51 AM
I listened to the B-52's quite a bit back in the days before their guitarist died. Funny little absurdist songs, like the dog died dark green named Quiche Lorraine and the like, but I never once heard the girls make noises like Yoko makes when she vocalizes.

Maybe he meant they copied the way she dressed? :dunno:

Johnny Footstool
12-31-2005, 03:21 PM
Johnny, I actually kind of like Jimi Hendrix's vocals. His voice isn't like everybody else's. He's 85% of the way to achieving some sort of Cheech Wizard spoken word effect over the top of his riffs. I think it's kind of cool.

Fair enough, but to me it sounds like he's got a mouthful of marbles.

Ravenlord
12-31-2005, 08:58 PM
Actually, yes, but I've tried to supress the memory. :evil:
if you figure out how lemme know, cause i'd like to end the reoccuring nightmare of hearing Abyssos trying to do an Abba cover.:bang:

BoydsOfSummer
01-01-2006, 12:31 PM
Michael McDonald of Doobie Brothers fame. What the hell is he sayin/singing? Mumble...mumble...mumble...

Dom Heffner
01-01-2006, 12:54 PM
Michael McDonald of Doobie Brothers fame. What the hell is he sayin/singing? Mumble...mumble...mumble...

When we were kids, my cousin and I used to walk around the house singing, "I keeph pergettin pere not in lub anymurr..."

Falls City Beer
01-01-2006, 12:55 PM
When we were kids, my cousin and I used to walk around the house singing, "I keeph pergettin pere not in lub anymurr..."

Y'ahmmo bee dare.

BUTLER REDSFAN
01-01-2006, 10:33 PM
wookin pa nub

Sean_CaseyRules
01-02-2006, 12:35 AM
Y'ahmmo bee dare.

"If i hear Y'ahmmo be there one more time, im going to Y'ahmmo burn this place to the ground"

zombielady
05-24-2006, 09:43 AM

Corey Glover Living Colour, circa 1989-ish...

minus5
05-24-2006, 10:48 AM
In fact, one of the criticisms of the Beatles is that they sung too well and it undercut the band when it was trying for a more urgent sound. Sometimes they'd nail it ("Helter Skelter", "Polythene Pam", "Happiness Is a Warm Gun"), sometimes they came off too pretty ("Getting Better", "Nowhere Man", "Help!"). Arguably, it's the ability to howl that makes for a great rock 'n' roll vocal. Can you tap into something primal?

Wait! John Lennon's vocals were the essence of primal. even on the very early stuff such as his vocals on their version of Slow Down, the opening line of Mr. Moonlight, Twist & Shout and later stuff like I Want You (She's So Heavy). McCartney certainly had some pretty good turns at great rock n roll screamers as well on stuff like Long Tall Sally, I'm Down, Oh! Darling! Lennon & McCartney may have been able to harmonize like freakin' Phil & Don Everly but don't let that distract from the fact that both were able to sing some screamers with the best of them.

minus5
05-24-2006, 10:52 AM
Oh yeah, and for me the most annoying has to be Eddie Vedder.

"Oh where oh where can my baby be?" :bang:

Ravenlord
05-24-2006, 05:08 PM
Corey Glover Living Colour, circa 1989-ish...

wrong black metal...Dimmu Borgir, Abyssos, Gorgoroth...not Living Colour (rock), God Forbid (thrash), Sevendust (thrash), or Chimaira (thrash/death).

Matt700wlw
05-24-2006, 08:24 PM
Jewel

There would be absolutely nothing wrong with that. :)

Matt700wlw
05-24-2006, 08:25 PM
*stone thrown*

That guy from Bush. Yeah.

Sounds like he's constipated, trying, desperately to get over it.

However, "Sixteen Stone" still rocked.

Matt700wlw
05-24-2006, 08:26 PM
Me, too... and you can add Bob Dylan to the list of singer/songwriters who shouldn't sing.

Maybe not....but it's Bob Dylan ;)

dman
05-24-2006, 10:24 PM
Michael Sweet of Stryper, but only when he sang ballads. Otherwise he was/is a heck of a singer.

cincinnati chili
05-24-2006, 11:07 PM
Thanks for bringing back this thread. I miss bands as brilliantly bad as Stryper.

Yachtzee
05-25-2006, 12:09 AM
Thanks for bringing back this thread. I miss bands as brilliantly bad as Stryper.

Ever check out "The boneYard" on XM for some hair band hilarity?

cincinnati chili
05-25-2006, 12:33 AM
Ever check out "The boneYard" on XM for some hair band hilarity?

I just drove from Boston to Colorado springs and probably hit every station at some point along the way. Shlock like the boneyard kept me from falling asleep in Western Kansas.

registerthis
05-25-2006, 10:37 AM
That guy from Psychedelic Furs and Love Spit love.

Ah, Richard Butler sounds fine. His voice suits their music quite well, even though he doesn't have a lot of range.

Scott Stapp and similar grunge-style singer annoy the crap out of me.

registerthis
05-25-2006, 10:39 AM
Oh, and Lou reed.

He writes some cracking tunes, but he has no business ever stepping anywhere NEAR a microphone.

vaticanplum
05-25-2006, 10:43 AM
Oh, and Lou reed.

He writes some cracking tunes, but he has no business ever stepping anywhere NEAR a microphone.

Oh my god I love Lou Reed's voice. It's like his voice was born to sing the songs he wrote. Not the later stuff, when he got too slow and drawly and pretentious, but the early stuff.

Did I already mention Michael Stipe? I think I did.

registerthis
05-25-2006, 12:32 PM
Oh my god I love Lou Reed's voice. It's like his voice was born to sing the songs he wrote. Not the later stuff, when he got too slow and drawly and pretentious, but the early stuff.

Really? Cause, man, I just can't listen to the Velvet Underground. It's a total nails-on-a-chalkboard experience to me. And his solo stuff would be fine if it weren't for his voice.

I know, different strokes an all, but I just can't see what people hear in his voice. Drives me up a wall, it does...

vaticanplum
05-25-2006, 12:47 PM
Really? Cause, man, I just can't listen to the Velvet Underground. It's a total nails-on-a-chalkboard experience to me. And his solo stuff would be fine if it weren't for his voice.

I know, different strokes an all, but I just can't see what people hear in his voice. Drives me up a wall, it does...

Yep, that's totally a taste thing. I think his voice suits his music so well as to be full other instrument of the VU (voices are always instruments, I know, but this works so well in this case), but I can definitely see how people wouldn't like it. It's not a traditionally pleasing sound.

Actually, I don't like the longer, more repetitive songs of the Velvet Underground, probably for the same reasons you do. Heroin, Run Run Run...it's too much for my ears, especially when they get screechy. I think you have to be on a lot of drugs to really like that stuff. But the four-minute rock and roll stuff is amazing, so are some of the ballads.

registerthis
05-25-2006, 01:32 PM
Yep, that's totally a taste thing. I think his voice suits his music so well as to be full other instrument of the VU (voices are always instruments, I know, but this works so well in this case), but I can definitely see how people wouldn't like it. It's not a traditionally pleasing sound.

Yeah, believe me I know. I'm a Rush fan. :)

BoydsOfSummer
05-26-2006, 11:34 AM
Yeah, believe me I know. I'm a Rush fan.

:lol: I know what ya mean. Geddy can be an acquired taste.

Hap
05-26-2006, 06:43 PM
Michael Bolton
Peter Garrett (Elmer Fudd)
Tiffany
Gerardo
Vanilla Ice (OOOHHHHHHHH YEEEEEAAAAHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!)
W. Axl Rose (Ay-ee-yi--ee-yi-eeee)
Mick Jagger
Joe Cocker

Tony Cloninger
05-27-2006, 03:02 PM
Keith Relf of the Yardbirds........ not horrible but just boring...when you have it fronting one of the most electric, and for that time, hard bands of the 60's.

Can you imagine his voice fronting Led Zeppelin?

The guy from Poison was horrid.

To go on another take, especially after just watching 4 parts of Heavy Metal History on VH1 (great show)......that band for me defined the hypocrisy of that type of music. Being into punk rock in the late 70's/early 80's and then into Echo & The Bunnymen, Gang of Four type bands later.... the crap i took from metal heads, even living in Los Angeles, was beyond stupid. They would rip those forms of music as being untalented and "gay". I especially love the "gay" reference...... Let's just overlook the fact that the guy who started the Metal look for the "new wave" of metal in the late 70's .. took that look from his lifestyle in the leather bars. Rob Halford was a great singer and he must have been dying with laughter at the site of these macho head
bangers who had no clue where his look came from.

pedro
05-27-2006, 03:13 PM
I find Robert Plant to be pretty annoying sometimes.

Stewie
05-27-2006, 03:22 PM
I can't remember if he has been mentioned already, but Van Morrison's voice makes me go insane.

harangatang
05-27-2006, 03:39 PM
Shlock like the boneyard kept me from falling asleep in Western Kansas.
Are you saying Western Kansas is boring?;)

Falls City Beer
05-27-2006, 07:19 PM
I find Robert Plant to be pretty annoying sometimes.

I like it when he says "Push, push!" on "The Song Remains the Same" (the song, not the movie). That's not annoying or anything.

CrackerJack
05-27-2006, 09:10 PM
I'm not sure many can compare to Brittany Fox's "Save The Weak"

The lyrics are as brilliant as they are inspiring.

Yachtzee
05-28-2006, 02:08 PM
Did I already mention Michael Stipe? I think I did.

R.E.M. was one of my favorite groups right up until Out of Time came out. That just about killed it for me. When they released "Everybody Hurts", it made want to jam an ice pick in my ear just to ease my suffering. That has to be one of the most whiny, annoying songs ever made.