PDA

View Full Version : Report: Sox offer Ramirez, Clement for Tejada

realreds1
12-29-2005, 03:53 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10641752/

Report: Sox offer Ramirez, Clement for Tejada
Orioles concerned about dealing shortstop with division, however

Charles Krupa / AP
The Red Sox have reportedly offered Manny Ramirez and pitcher Matt Clement to the Orioles for Miguel Tejada.

NBCSports.com news services
Updated: 2:01 p.m. ET Dec. 29, 2005
The Boston Red Sox have made a "pretty good offer" to the Baltimore Orioles for disgruntled shortstop Miguel Tejada, the Boston Globe reported Thursday, citing an unnamed source close to the talks.

The Red Sox, who first offered outfielder Manny Ramirez for Tejada, sweetened the talks by also adding right-hander Matt Clement, the Globe reported.

Ramirez would have to approve any trade, and the Orioles management is concerned about trading Tejada within the division, the Globe reported.

KronoRed
12-29-2005, 03:54 PM
O's should take it.

M2
12-29-2005, 04:00 PM
O's should take it.

Agreed.

What's Boston got for an OF if that happens? Trot Nixon, when he's healthy, in RF and ... ?

Andy Marte perhaps, but that's a club that should be in the OF market.

Heath
12-29-2005, 04:02 PM
Agreed.

What's Boston got for an OF if that happens? Trot Nixon, when he's healthy, in RF and ... ?

Andy Marte perhaps, but that's a club that should be in the OF market.

So M2, - should the Pena-for-Arroyo talks start heating up?

M2
12-29-2005, 04:15 PM
So M2, - should the Pena-for-Arroyo talks start heating up?

Perhaps. Mind you, I'd rather deal Kearns (though I'm in the minority on that score).

Of course, if the Sox are really aching for an OF power hitter then maybe Papelbon's on the block as long as the Reds could send a reliever like Weathers or Mercker along with the bat.

RedsIn07
12-29-2005, 04:34 PM
Perhaps. Mind you, I'd rather deal Kearns (though I'm in the minority on that score).

Of course, if the Sox are really aching for an OF power hitter then maybe Papelbon's on the block as long as the Reds could send a reliever like Weathers or Mercker along with the bat.
Just out of curiosity why are you for Pena than Kearns, do you feel that Pena is more likely to reach his ceiling than Kearns?

RedFanAlways1966
12-29-2005, 04:41 PM
The Sox had better make sure that all B-12 shots are left in Baltimore. :devil:

Heath
12-29-2005, 04:49 PM
Just out of curiosity why are you for Pena than Kearns, do you feel that Pena is more likely to reach his ceiling than Kearns?

Before I answer the above - I believe since Casey's been traded - they should keep both.

However, if they can trade Kearns and get value back, I'm all for it. I'm not sure he's recovered from raykingcollisionits. In any athlete's mind, the fear of failure (along with the glory & cash with it) is very high. The psyche of an athlete is the most fragile thing they have. I don't think Austin's a basket case, but I don't think he's all the way back.

Pena's a horse, high K's & all, He is injury-prone. He has back-to-back Steel Glove Awards. But, he has this aura of aweness everytime he swings at bat. He has more upside, IMO, than Kearns. Repeat UPSIDE, not TALENT. (Therein lies another argument).

In my opinion, whoever (Pena or Kearns) can get most value back in trade, go for it - if needed. But, its not needed right now.

BTW - interesting the point made by the Orioles - they don't want to trade in their own division. Hmmm...interesting concept....:wave:

M2
12-29-2005, 04:53 PM

Austin so far has shown a Willie Greenesque commitment to the game. He's got talent for it, but he's put on a dog the past two-plus years. Rarely will you see a player react worse to an injury than Austin did after Ray King used him like a hemorrhoid cushion.

One thing that impresses me about Pena is that he works hard. Plus, I think he's got a higher ceiling. Keep Kearns in 2006 and, unless he changes his act, you've got a guy with middling power whose OB and defense have been in retreat since he debuted in 2002. Honestly, if Austin's in a Reds uniform he doesn't have to care until 2007, his contract year. If that's all the team's going to get out of him then I'm not that interested. I suspect a trade might shake him up and give him something to prove, but that doesn't help the Reds.

If you keep Pena in 2006 and he might hit 40 HR. He's got big power in a steroid-free game. He's also Reds property for the next three years.

So I figure the Reds stand to get more out of Pena. I like the idea of his power behind Adam Dunn. Though you've got to play him in CF, where he oddly seems to have a clue.

Big Donkey
12-29-2005, 04:58 PM
This has been floating around for a couple days, but from what I've gotten, BAL is really apprehensive about adding the extra money should this deal go through. If the do trade Tejada though, I'd expect it to be this deal with BOS. As mentioned in the thread, BOS would be in the market for an outfielder, and are still hard after Jeremy Reed of SEA, but the Mariners are trying to attach Gil Meche to him in a trade for Lester or Papelbon, and BOS is having none of that.

WVRed
12-29-2005, 05:43 PM
Manny Ramirez-
http://espn-att.starwave.com/media/mlb/2000/0927/photo/a_ramirez_i.jpg
Albert Belle-
http://www.s-t.com/daily/02-97/02-13-97/belle.jpg

Just sayin'.

StillFunkyB
12-29-2005, 07:49 PM
WVRed,

Albert would have had some big seasons in Baltimore, had that hip not gone out on him.

captainmorgan07
12-29-2005, 10:53 PM
take it and run with it and dont look back

cincinnati chili
12-30-2005, 10:44 AM
I do not think the O's should take it. They'd be trading away one good contract for two bad ones.

Even if this was "even money," they'll have a much tougher time finding a shortstop on the open market who's an impact hitter and decent defender.

I'd like this trade for the Sox, and I've always been one who thought that Tejada was overrated.

Krusty
12-30-2005, 10:49 AM
Problem is the Red Sox create more holes than what it solves.

Frankly, I think they should send Ramirez and cash back to Cleveland for OF Coca Crisp and infielder Brandon Phillips. Then if I was the Red Sox I would look to sign OF Preston Wilson to possibly play either LF or CF...next to Crisp.

M2
12-30-2005, 10:58 AM
I do not think the O's should take it. They'd be trading away one good contract for two bad ones.

Even if this was "even money," they'll have a much tougher time finding a shortstop on the open market who's an impact hitter and decent defender.

I'd like this trade for the Sox, and I've always been one who thought that Tejada was overrated.

IMO Manny Ramirez has a great contract. If you pay it you get Manny Ramirez, who's one of the top five hitters in baseball. The Orioles supposedly have money to spend. Where else are they going to get a top five hitter?

As for Clement, I don't think there's a problem with his contract if he goes back to his pre-ball-off-the-noggin form.

The Orioles were 10th in the AL in hitting and pitching last season. Here's two guys that could help improve the club on both fronts. I wouldn't let money that I had on hand prevent me from getting better.

deltachi8
12-30-2005, 11:02 AM
Krusty that makes sense. Probably won't happen because it does.

If I am Baltimore, I take the trade, if BOS kicks in some cash.

Then if I am the Reds, I explore Kearns to BOS. Having signed Hammond makes it easier to attch Merker to the deal. I too am higher on Pena.

lollipopcurve
12-30-2005, 11:22 AM
As for Clement, I don't think there's a problem with his contract if he goes back to his pre-ball-off-the-noggin form.

I have it from a co-worker who has a relative in Boston who bartends. Apparently Clement has more issues than having been beaned. Third-hand stuff, but it makes you wonder, seeing as how the guy has very good stuff, logs innings, and keeps moving on.

Ridiculous offseason for the Red Sox -- they trade for Beckett but still appear headed for a cliff. I wouldn't be surprised to see them plunge, but big $$$ may bail them out yet.

NJReds
12-30-2005, 11:30 AM
This one is buzzing around NY talk radio...but I've seen nothing in print to confirm it:

Mets trade: Aaron Heilman, Cliff Floyd, Victor Diaz, Brian Bannister
Mets get: Manny Ramirez

TB trades: Julio Lugo, Joey Gathright
TB receives: Aaron Heilman, Victor Diaz, Bronson Arroyo

Red Sox trade: Manny Ramirez, Bronson Arroyo
Red Sox receive: Julio Lugo, Joey Gathright, Cliff Floyd, Brian Bannister

I highly doubt this will happen. I think TB gets hosed in the deal. This thought that Heilman all of the sudden is this great pitcher doesn't make sense to me. He had a decent 2005, mostly in middle relief. He couldn't crack a rotation that had Zambrano, Ishii and Jay Seo. Minaya has done a great job building up Heilman's value, I'll grant him that.

There's also a rumor in NY that the Mets are close to acquiring Baez from TB for a package headlined by Seo or Heilman. Baez has said that he wants to remain a closer, I wonder what the Reds could offer to get him from TB?

Krusty
12-30-2005, 01:55 PM
This one is buzzing around NY talk radio...but I've seen nothing in print to confirm it:

I highly doubt this will happen. I think TB gets hosed in the deal. This thought that Heilman all of the sudden is this great pitcher doesn't make sense to me. He had a decent 2005, mostly in middle relief. He couldn't crack a rotation that had Zambrano, Ishii and Jay Seo. Minaya has done a great job building up Heilman's value, I'll grant him that.

There's also a rumor in NY that the Mets are close to acquiring Baez from TB for a package headlined by Seo or Heilman. Baez has said that he wants to remain a closer, I wonder what the Reds could offer to get him from TB?That isn't a bad deal even from Tampa Bay's point. Substitute Arroyo with either Papelbon or Jon Lester (I think the Devil Rays would insist on Lester) and it might happen. The only thing for the Red Sox is they miss that righthanded bopper in the lineup unless Lowell and Marte can pick up the slack.[/QUOTE]

Big Donkey
12-30-2005, 02:16 PM
There's an even more insane version of that NYM-TB-BOS deal that includes BAL and Miguel Tejada, where I think NYM would send Aaron Heilman, Kaz Matsui and cash to TB for Julio Lugo, then put Lugo with Victor Diaz, Kris Benson and Brian Bannister to BAL for Tejada, who they'd then in turn flip to BOS for Manny Ramirez. Yeah, I don't think it's gonna happen either, but there seemed to at least be a little something to it a couple days ago, I know Peter Gammons was beating on this deal then but it's quieted it down some since.

On the more believable one, I think maybe Bannister and Seo to the Rays for Danys Baez is what's being discussed, I can see that one happening.

M2
12-30-2005, 07:30 PM
I still don't understand why the Orioles would look the Manny/Clement gift horse in the mouth.

For crying out loud, Leo Mazzone's your pitching coach. Don't you want to give him an arm like Clement to work with instead of the Rodrigo Lopez Laff-A-Lympics?

membengal
12-30-2005, 08:53 PM

Add one more for the keep Wily Mo and trade Kearns first side.

cincinnati chili
12-30-2005, 11:26 PM
I still don't understand why the Orioles would look the Manny/Clement gift horse in the mouth.

For crying out loud, Leo Mazzone's your pitching coach. Don't you want to give him an arm like Clement to work with instead of the Rodrigo Lopez Laff-A-Lympics?

I dunno. Guess I have to agree to disagree. But have you considered that Manny's 2005 season at age 33 looks a lot like Sammy Sosa's 2002 season at age 34?

Even if you're right and I'm wrong, I think the Orioles have the right to call in the horse dentist on this one.

If you could guarantee me 3 years of 950+ OPS and 150 games/season from Manny, then maybe this trade makes sense for the Orioles. I don't think it's going to happen.

M2
12-30-2005, 11:48 PM
I dunno. Guess I have to agree to disagree. But have you considered that Manny's 2005 season at age 33 looks a lot like Sammy Sosa's 2002 season at age 34?

Nope, largely because Manny and Sammy are two wholly dissimilar animals. Manny's a hitting genius. Sammy was a guy who had pitchers skirt around him when his power went wild.

If you could guarantee me 3 years of 950+ OPS and 150 games/season from Manny, then maybe this trade makes sense for the Orioles. I don't think it's going to happen.

Nothing in life is guaranteed, but Manny Ramirez ripping the cover off the baseball is about as close as you can get to it. He hasn't had a season under a .950 OPS since his rookie season. He's averaged a 156 OPS+ the past three years, which just so happens to be his career average, which just so happens to be 20th on the all-time list.

Here's what I will guarantee you, over the next three years Manny Ramirez's average OPS will run better than 100 points ahead of Miguel Tejada's.

Baltimore's not a small market club and it's got money to spend. It can afford some steak and Manny's the porterhouse selection on the menu. The club has a player in Tejada who's trying to gripe his way out of town and it's been offered one of the best hitters ever plus a primo arm to give to the best pitching coach in the history of the game. This is front end talent the Orioles can afford. What's the option? Save a bunch of money on a lousy ballclub and play listless baseball while the D-Rays creep up on you?

I'd get me the masher and the pitcher with A stuff and stop messing with the Jeromy Burnitzes of the world.

deltachi8
12-31-2005, 04:19 AM
M2, the more i think, the more i think your dead on here. I liked the trade for BAL before if BOS would kick in some cash, now, just do it. Manny in any park is damn good, in that one, its plain scary.

cincinnati chili
12-31-2005, 10:11 AM
M2, the more i think, the more i think your dead on here. I liked the trade for BAL before if BOS would kick in some cash, now, just do it. Manny in any park is damn good, in that one, its plain scary.

Has anybody seen Manny's Pecota projections? I know bbp releases them early sometime. I'd be curious to see them.

lollipopcurve
12-31-2005, 10:35 AM
I might like the Chisox offer of McCarthy, Uribe and a prospect or two better. Mazzone with the chance to build a young rotation starting with Cabrera, McCarthy, Bedard and prospects like Penn and Loewen may be the better way to go in the long run for them. They'll have money to burn on hitters. Clement may have a great arm, but you know if the Red Sox are dying to deal him that he is carrying baggage of some kind, physical or otherwise.

Krusty
12-31-2005, 11:25 AM
This gets crazier:

http://www.nydailynews.com/12-31-2005/front/story/379053p-321910c.html

Heath
12-31-2005, 12:23 PM
This gets crazier:

http://www.nydailynews.com/12-31-2005/front/story/379053p-321910c.html

Just wait - it could get worse.....

The more teams involved, its more cooks to spoil the soup.... ;)

Krusty
12-31-2005, 04:43 PM
Here is how I would see it:

Boston trades: OF Ramirez, LHP Jon Lester
Boston receives: OF Joey Gathright, SS Miguel Tejada, OF Cliff Floyd

Baltimore trades: SS Miguel Tejeda
Baltimore receives: SS Julio Lugo, RHP Kris Benson

NY Mets trades: RHPs Aaron Heilman, Kris Benson, OF Cliff Floyd, OF Victor Diaz
NY Mets receives: OF Ramirez, RHP Danny Baez

Tampa Bay trades: RHP Danny Baez, SS Julio Lugo, OF Joey Gathright
Tampa Bay receives: RHP Aaron Heilman, LHP Jon Lester, OF Victor Diaz.

KronoRed
12-31-2005, 05:07 PM
More teams I read are involved the more I think nothing at all is going to happen

deltachi8
12-31-2005, 08:26 PM
Here is how I would see it:

Boston trades: OF Ramirez, LHP Jon Lester
Boston receives: OF Joey Gathright, SS Miguel Tejada, OF Cliff Floyd

Baltimore trades: SS Miguel Tejeda
Baltimore receives: SS Julio Lugo, RHP Kris Benson

NY Mets trades: RHPs Aaron Heilman, Kris Benson, OF Cliff Floyd, OF Victor Diaz
NY Mets receives: OF Ramirez, RHP Danny Baez

Tampa Bay trades: RHP Danny Baez, SS Julio Lugo, OF Joey Gathright
Tampa Bay receives: RHP Aaron Heilman, LHP Jon Lester, OF Victor Diaz.

If I am Baltimore and thats whats on the table, I take my ball and go home.

StillFunkyB
01-01-2006, 01:24 PM
Problem is the Red Sox create more holes than what it solves.

Frankly, I think they should send Ramirez and cash back to Cleveland for OF Coca Crisp and infielder Brandon Phillips. Then if I was the Red Sox I would look to sign OF Preston Wilson to possibly play either LF or CF...next to Crisp.

If I was a Sox fan, I would be really pissed if they did this deal. Sure Coco can play CF, but Brandon Phillips can't even hit AAA pitching.

Krusty
01-01-2006, 01:44 PM
Best scenario:

Boston trades: Ramirez, Clement, Lester
Boston receives: Floyd, Tejeda, Gathright.

Baltimore trades: Tejeda
Baltimore receives: Clement, Benson and Lugo.

NY Mets trades: Floyd, Benson, Heilman and OF Diaz
NY Mets receives: Ramirez, Baez.

Tampa Bay trades: Lugo, Gathright, Baez
Tampa Bay receives: Heilman, Lester, Diaz

REDREAD
01-02-2006, 10:00 PM
Here's what I will guarantee you, over the next three years Manny Ramirez's average OPS will run better than 100 points ahead of Miguel Tejada's.

The club has a player in Tejada who's trying to gripe his way out of town

I'd get me the masher and the pitcher with A stuff and stop messing with the Jeromy Burnitzes of the world.

I think this is the key thing.. that Tejada wants out. So the O's would be smart to cash him in this winter. Of course, there's no guarantee that Manny won't start whining when he arrives in Balt too.

If it weren't for Tejada wanting out, I'd be tempted to keep him over Manny though. Manny is an awesome hitter, but a horribly inconsistent defensive player because he doesn't pay attention. Tejada's production at a skill position (even though the OPS is lower) would make me want to keep him and try to upgrade the OF another way, if the complaining thing wasn't an issue.

Clement working with Mazzone is intriguing, but I have a hunch that Clement could be had pretty easily now. Boston is obviously disenchanted with him, and would probably move him pretty easily. Even the Reds might have a shot to pry him away from Boston, I'd bet.. Although I doubt DanO would be interested.

cincinnati chili
01-02-2006, 10:16 PM
Of course, there's no guarantee that Manny won't start whining when he arrives in Balt too.

Let's not forget, he's a 10/5 guy. He (or his wife) might veto a trade to Baltimore in the first place.

Big Donkey
01-04-2006, 04:24 PM
Bringing this back to update the situation. The complicated four way angle with BOS, BAL, TB and NYM had basically switched to two two-team negotiations with BOS and BAL trying to hammer out the Ramirez and Clement for Tejada deal for themselves. BOS wanted OF Nick Markakis included as well, and now BAL wants more than Ramirez and Clement back (probably money). I don't know if anything happens here.

NYM had been focusing on TB as they were interested in Danys Baez, and to a lesser extent, Julio Lugo. It was thought they were close to getting Baez for Jae Seo and Kaz Matsui (with money being sent over to cover Matsui), but that's off now, as I just got word that the Mets have sent Seo and Tim Hamulack to LA for Duaner Sanchez and Steve Schmoll. Don't think word is out to the outlets on this one yet.

If this goes through, BOS will probably get off Tejada for a while and try to get Lugo for themselves, and are allegedly willing to send Andy Marte to get it done. They may want Joey Gathright as well as Lugo for giving up Marte, we'll see. Lots of interesting stuff... you know, outside of Cincinnati.

Big Donkey
01-04-2006, 04:29 PM
Also, I forgot to mention that the Mets have signed Bret Boone, so they will probably let him battle with Matsui for which one gets to stay. I think the TB trade angle for NYM is probably done unless they still try to get Baez for Heilman, but I don't think they want to give him up.

Boone's contract is non-guaranteed minor league, BTW. He'll get a shot to win 2B from Kaz Matsui.

M2
01-04-2006, 04:35 PM
All hail Ham-u-lack! Hail! Hail! Ham-u-lack!

http://www.geocities.com/christopher_saghy/barbarianking.jpg

TRF
01-04-2006, 04:42 PM
Ya know, If Boston does deal Manny, I think they might be a great trading partner. I agree with M2 on trading Kearns, but i think Freel might be an even better fit. He's a top of the order guy that Boston fans will love. He fills Damon's shoes in CF, and if Boston keeps Clement out of the Manny trade, I think that's a good trade for both clubs. They'd demand Kearns though, and I'd be cool with that too.

KronoRed
01-04-2006, 05:06 PM
All hail Ham-u-lack! Hail! Hail! Ham-u-lack!

http://www.geocities.com/christopher_saghy/barbarianking.jpg
I'd love to have that guy as pitching coach.

Puffy
01-04-2006, 05:06 PM
Ya know, If Boston does deal Manny, I think they might be a great trading partner. I agree with M2 on trading Kearns, but i think Freel might be an even better fit. He's a top of the order guy that Boston fans will love. He fills Damon's shoes in CF, and if Boston keeps Clement out of the Manny trade, I think that's a good trade for both clubs. They'd demand Kearns though, and I'd be cool with that too.

That makes way too much sense.

TRF
01-04-2006, 05:16 PM
But it's been rattling in my head for a while now. Freel to the Red Sox for either Clement or Arroyo would work for me. It would however force Bergolla into action as the 2B or cement the return or RA, but for improved pitching, I could live with either.

Puffy
01-04-2006, 05:20 PM
But it's been rattling in my head for a while now. Freel to the Red Sox for either Clement or Arroyo would work for me. It would however force Bergolla into action as the 2B or cement the return or RA, but for improved pitching, I could live with either.

No, it would force Womack into Second base full-time (if he is not already) and then force either Olmedo or Bergolla into full-time utility duty.

TRF
01-04-2006, 05:22 PM
Womack... i had hoped that was just gas. DanO really did trade for him.

burrrp:fart

registerthis
01-04-2006, 08:29 PM
I have just heard that the Bos - Bal deal was killed, apparently Boston asked for Rodrigo Lopez to be included in the deal, and the O's said thanks but no thanks.

Can't blame Boston for asking for more...Ramirez and Clement is a heckuva lot to give up for Tejada.

Spitball
01-05-2006, 11:33 AM
I have just heard that the Bos - Bal deal was killed, apparently Boston asked for Rodrigo Lopez to be included in the deal, and the O's said thanks but no thanks.

Can't blame Boston for asking for more...Ramirez and Clement is a heckuva lot to give up for Tejada.

Here is what Gammons (FWIW) said yesterday at 12:45 PM in the Boston Globe:

soxfan10: Q: Where are the Red Sox and Orioles at in their trade talks involving Manny and Miguel Tejada?
PeterGammons: I get the impression that they're stalled. Clearly the Jeromy Burnitz fiasco and most everyone assumes that he failed the physical, complicates the deal because it makes it more difficult for the Orioles to trade an outfielder. It's my understanding that the money issue is a problem. Manny's agent Greg Genkse told me yesterday that the option was not going to be a problem. But the Orioles indicated something different to me. I still think there's a fair chance it happens because the Red Sox want it to happen and David Ortiz is clearly fueling the Tejada fire.
GammonsisKing: Q: What is your prediction? Who will be starting at SS, 1B, and CF for the Red Sox on opening day?
PeterGammons: This will be a heck of a guess because I'm sure I'm going to be wrong. At 12:45 p.m. on Jan. 4, I would guess Tejada at SS, Reed in CF, and Youkilis at 1B. But the only one I'm confident of is Youkilis.

GoReds
01-05-2006, 12:03 PM
He's been pimpin' Reed to the Sox all winter, but I don't see why the Mariners would have any interest.

lollipopcurve
01-05-2006, 12:03 PM
This will be a heck of a guess because I'm sure I'm going to be wrong. At 12:45 p.m. on Jan. 4, I would guess Tejada at SS, Reed in CF, and Youkilis at 1B. But the only one I'm confident of is Youkilis.

Very wishful thinking from Bosox fan Gammons.

Spitball
01-05-2006, 10:09 PM
The SOSH board is now reporting that Manny has changed his mind and wants to stay in Boston. I'm skeptical, though, because this seems to be the source:

http://www.goldensombrero.net/

cincinnati chili
01-05-2006, 10:34 PM
Xm radio is reporting it too. I think it's legit.

Manny played all of us. He rules.

cincinnati chili
01-05-2006, 10:37 PM
That Espn deportes article has been translated into English

http://espndeportes.espn.go.com/story?id=396286

RFS62
01-06-2006, 08:00 AM
Xm radio is reporting it too. I think it's legit.

Manny played all of us. He rules.

Just Manny being Manny.

Chip R
01-06-2006, 09:06 AM
Just Manny being Manny.

Yep. He's a great player but he's a loon. Manny is predictable about being unpredictable. By Spring Training he may want to be traded again.

lollipopcurve
01-06-2006, 09:40 AM
I'm sure the Sox would still love to unload him, especially if it nets them an answer for their holes at SS and in CF.

Krusty
01-06-2006, 10:29 AM
You just don't give away 40+ HRs and 140+ RBIs.

TRF
01-06-2006, 10:32 AM
You do if you get 30 of those HR's back at a skill position like SS.

Spitball
01-06-2006, 12:14 PM
I predict Manny will still be "Manny being Manny" long after Tejada starts to have a steroid deterioration, a la Bret Boone, Giambi, Nomar...

Big Donkey
01-06-2006, 01:45 PM
Manny's agent says a trade "could still happen", but it's probably unlikely at this point. Now that I say that, watch it happen this weekend. Things can change so quickly in baseball. Anyways, with BOS and CHC probably not going for Tejada, at least with the intensity they once had, a couple more suitors have stepped to the forefront: DET and PHI.

The PHI talk picked up pretty well in the very early morning hours, as it was reported that the O's were interested in Bobby Abreu, who PHI has no problem trading for the "right guy", and that BAL would also want a pretty good young pitcher back. I don't think PHI gives up Cole Hamels or Ryan Madson, but if BAL likes the Tejeda kid that did alright for PHI last year, or Gavin Floyd, who's not quite as highly regarded as he once was, then maybe something could be worked out here.

DET is interesting, because it seems they're always in on top-level free agents, and get to be "finalists" in some of the bigger trade rumors, but rarely land their man. DET actually has a fair wealth of young pitching, and I heard it said they'd probably be willing to give up Carlos Guillen and a young pitcher or two for Tejada. I think this is quite risky for DET, Tejada may be the type to immediately demand a trade out of there... you know, like he has just done with BAL. I certainly wouldn't give up Carlos Guillen, Nate Robertson and Justin Verlander for him (as I heard somebody speculate this morning) but maybe that's just me. And I seriously doubt DET would offer that up, as desperate as they may be for a "star level" player, and more power in their lineup.

Just a couple interesting notes to put in there this morning, this has been a pretty good story the last couple of weeks.

Krusty
01-07-2006, 01:18 AM
Manny's agent says a trade "could still happen", but it's probably unlikely at this point. Now that I say that, watch it happen this weekend. Things can change so quickly in baseball. Anyways, with BOS and CHC probably not going for Tejada, at least with the intensity they once had, a couple more suitors have stepped to the forefront: DET and PHI.

The PHI talk picked up pretty well in the very early morning hours, as it was reported that the O's were interested in Bobby Abreu, who PHI has no problem trading for the "right guy", and that BAL would also want a pretty good young pitcher back. I don't think PHI gives up Cole Hamels or Ryan Madson, but if BAL likes the Tejeda kid that did alright for PHI last year, or Gavin Floyd, who's not quite as highly regarded as he once was, then maybe something could be worked out here.

DET is interesting, because it seems they're always in on top-level free agents, and get to be "finalists" in some of the bigger trade rumors, but rarely land their man. DET actually has a fair wealth of young pitching, and I heard it said they'd probably be willing to give up Carlos Guillen and a young pitcher or two for Tejada. I think this is quite risky for DET, Tejada may be the type to immediately demand a trade out of there... you know, like he has just done with BAL. I certainly wouldn't give up Carlos Guillen, Nate Robertson and Justin Verlander for him (as I heard somebody speculate this morning) but maybe that's just me. And I seriously doubt DET would offer that up, as desperate as they may be for a "star level" player, and more power in their lineup.

Just a couple interesting notes to put in there this morning, this has been a pretty good story the last couple of weeks.

Question is whether Tejada is willing to play third base for the Phillies. I don't see the Phillies trading Hammels or Floyd, but if the Orioles are willing to take Tejeda or Madison with Abreu for Tejada, I could see it happening.

Heath
01-07-2006, 12:06 PM
Poor Detroit. Providing Baseball Ineptness Since 1984.

Nice ballpark there in the Motor City. They can't seem to get it going there.