PDA

View Full Version : Cover Songs: The best and the worst

Dom Heffner
12-29-2005, 10:06 PM
Alright, here is one of my pet peeves. I used to think there should be law against cover songs, since most turn out so awful, but there are a few artists who have made a song their own simply by putting their own stamp on it. What do you guys think are the best and worst ones?

Some of my faves (off the top of my head, so go easy on me):

Best

Always on My Mind- Willie Nelson. I don't even want to hear Elvis or anyone else sing this one. Anyone who does this for karaoke should be required to pinch their nose through the whole song.

Broken Arrow- Rod Stewart. Robbie Robertson is a great songwriter, but his voice leaves a bit to be desired. The last of the great Rod Stewart songs, his version is simply gorgeous.

If I Can't Have You- Yvonne Ellman. Hard to top the Bee Gees, but she did.

California Dreamin'- The Beach Boys. Believe it or not, this version is kinda dark, which was totally unexpected (not better than the original, but wholly listenable.)

Blinded By the Light- Manfred Mann & Because the Night- Patti Smith. I love the Boss, but liked these versions better than when he did them.

Worst

I Will Always Love You- Whitney Houston. I say this not because Whitney's version is so bad, but because I think Dolly's version is so much better. Hearing the writer sing about a true-life breakup is so much more appealing than hearing someone flexing their vocal chords for the sake of doing it. I always loved this song for its quietness and to hear it with early 90s production added is simply sacrilege.

Can't Help Falling In Love- Both Richard Marx and Corey Hart covered this. Elvis not only rolled over in his grave, he nearly broke through his tombstone, caught a train to Hollywood and killed all living descendants of these two cheeseheads.

Don't Go Breaking My Heart- Elton John and Ru Paul. This song was the reason I thought there should be a law against remakes. I can see Rick Santorum before Congress right now..."When the First Amendment was passed, the framers had not yet heard the words Ru Paul uttered on this soil...."

My Prerogative- Britney Spears. What's so awful is she sings it note for note with the Bobby Brown version in her robotic voice. She sounds like that munchkin who sang, "We represent the lollipop guild, the lollipop guild, the lollipop guild..."

Satisfaction- Britney Spears (Oops she did it again). Britney, I served with Mick Jagger. I knew Mick Jagger. Mick Jagger was a friend of mine. You get the idea.

Brian Wilson- Brian Wilson. Okay, I never heard this version, but hearing Brian Wilson sing today is like watching Marlon Brando act after 1979. I'm sure it was a thrill for BNL, so at least it made someone happy.

Every Breath You Take- Various artists. I have heard this one done by several people - including an Indian trio at our fairgrounds here in Tampa- and I don't think there is a way to do it any better than it was done in 1983.

Boys of Summer- Ataris. The band may have big screen T.V.s and fancy cars from the money they made with this, but they don't have anything close to a good version of this song. They'll tell you the record company made them release it, how they hate how people think they are a new band, blah blah, blah, but it doesn't change the fact they recorded it.

It was much easier coming up with lousy ones than good ones. Hopefully someone can improve upon my lame list.

Betterread
12-29-2005, 10:31 PM
Good thread
BEST: (these covers are not only corking, but took a really creative approach that worked)
Mekons: the lost highway (orig. by Hank Willliams)
Nick Cave (and friends) : Death is not the end (orig. by Bob Dylan)
Yo la Tengo: By the time it gets dark (orig. by Sandy Denny - YLT does so many good covers, one of their specialities)
Gram Parsons: To Love somebody (orig. by the BeeGees - another artist who did so many good covers)
WORST:
Jesus and Mary Chain's "frequency - a re-worded and awful cover of Roadrunner by Jonathan Richman - one of my favorite s

pedro
12-29-2005, 10:35 PM
Best - Gram Parsons - Love Hurts

writerdan33
12-29-2005, 11:07 PM
This one is easy for me. For my money, the best cover ever done is The Beatles' version of "Twist and Shout," originally done by the Isley Bros.

Falls City Beer
12-29-2005, 11:16 PM
13th Floor Elevators (Roky Erickson's old outfit)--"It's All Over Now Baby Blue" (Dylan)--Note perfect; far better than Dylan's.

Minutemen--"Ain't Talkin Bout Love" (Van Halen)--Roughly 45 seconds long, which is what the original should have been.

Will Oldham--"Horses" (Sally Timms)--the only song on earth that actively scares me.

Betterread
12-29-2005, 11:24 PM
That is a good Palace bros. cover. Thanks for the reminder.
I want to share the opinion that Will Oldham is one of the best songwriters of our time and Superwolf is one great 2005 release.

Falls City Beer
12-29-2005, 11:31 PM
That is a good Palace bros. cover. Thanks for the reminder.
I want to share the opinion that Will Oldham is one of the best songwriters of our time and Superwolf is one great 2005 release.

Thank god for Matt Sweeney's electric guitar--it appears, for the time being, to have awakened Will Oldham from his torpor. I hope he hangs around Sweeney for a while--I absolutely love his guitar-playing, songwriting, as well as his harmonies with Will. Oldham really needed that shot in the arm.

westofyou
12-29-2005, 11:52 PM
13th Floor Elevators (Roky Erickson's old outfit)--"It's All Over Now Baby Blue" (Dylan)--Note perfect; far better than Dylan's.But The Chocolate Watchband's version is better .

But heck here's both

www.deadballart.com/redszone/13thbaby_blue.mp3

www.deadballart.com/redszone/CWB_baby_blue.mp3

marcshoe
12-29-2005, 11:52 PM
Can't Help Falling In Love- Both Richard Marx and Corey Hart covered this. Elvis not only rolled over in his grave, he nearly broke through his tombstone, caught a train to Hollywood and killed all living descendants of these two cheeseheads.

When the Corey Hart version was out, I discovered that using a little vocal trick, I could reproduce his voice almost perfectly. At this point, I started paying close attention and realized he had pretty much no actual vocal talent. It was a weird thing, really.

Best covers? For sentimental reasons, I'll go with ELO's version of Roll Over Beethoven, which I first heard played as filler between games of a Reds doubleheader when control was returned to the local station (back when AM stations played music). Jeff Lynne's vocals get a bit weird toward the end (particularly the way he pronounces Beethoven), but the bent classical music interludes are interesting, and they still managed to hang on to the Chuck Berry feel more than the Beatles version did. I also liked Mental as Anything's "Just Like Romeo & Juliet" (always like their sense of humor). And I still like the Stones' version of "Harlem Shuffle" from the mid-eighties. All of these are a bit pedestrian, I guess, but it's late, and I can't remember any really daring covers off the top of my head (and when you think about it, if you're going to do a cover, you should do something interesting with it).

Covers are hard to rate, because your reaction has to do with how you feel about both the original and the remake. What one person likes can send another person running from the room (as with any type of music, but in this case, with a slight tweak in the why).

late add--extra credit for any of br549's versions of Johnny Horton songs.

The worst? I've mentioned this before, but that male/female duo that did "Free Bird" and one of Frampton's songs was unbelievably horrid.

Falls City Beer
12-29-2005, 11:58 PM
But The Chocolate Watchband's version is better .

I very respectfully, but very emphatically, disagree. 13FE's version captures the overpowering sadness that lies behind the lyrics--never has an Echoplex been put to better use than on their cover.

Scrap Irony
12-30-2005, 12:08 AM
Cake's version of I Will Survive is good.

The best? Hendrix's All Along the Watchtower. Of course.

Dom Heffner
12-30-2005, 12:11 AM
The worst? I've mentioned this before, but that male/female duo that did "Free Bird" and one of Frampton's songs was unbelievably horrid.

Will to Power was the band. Then they ditched one of the singers and covered 10cc's "I'm Not in Love."

marcshoe
12-30-2005, 12:13 AM
Will to Power was the band. Then they ditched one of the singers and covered 10cc's "I'm Not in Love."

Thanks. Someone told me the last time I mentioned them, but my mind just refuses to associate them with Neitzsche.

macro
12-30-2005, 12:14 AM
Best:

Knocking on Heaven's Door - Guns n Roses
You Really Got Me - Van Halen
Signs - Tesla

...and I'm surprised that Johnny Cash's version of Hurt hasn't received mention, although it didn't strike the chord with me that it did with so many others...

Worst:

Take My Breath Away - Jessica Simpson (hearing her sing it is bad - watching her sing it is unbearable)
Sweet Child O' Mine - Sheryl Crow
Faith - Limp Bizkit (they took a horrible song and made it even more annoying)

marcshoe
12-30-2005, 12:17 AM
Faith - Limp Bizkit (they took a horrible song and made it even more annoying)

Fred Durst's rendering of "Behind Blue Eyes" was, otoh, a horrible version of a good song.

One recent cover I liked was Alien Ant Farm's "Smooth Criminal".

Dom Heffner
12-30-2005, 12:20 AM
Sweet Child O' Mine - Sheryl Crow

Ugh- totally agree.

When you cover a song, you don't do the hardest to surpass. You do the easiest. I wouldn't touch "Boys of Summer," "Satisfaction," "Sweet Child O'Mine"....none of an artist's best work. It would seem to me better to cover a lesser known piece of work like Rod Stewart did with Tom Waits and Robbie Robertson.

Also- Dave Matthews does an awesome version of "Time of the Season" by The Zombies.

TeamBoone
12-30-2005, 12:23 AM
Best:

Eric Clapton's "Crossfire" (originally by Stevie Ray Vaughan)
Uncle Kracker's "Drift Away" (originally by Dobie Gray, though he "guests" on the UK version).
Power Station's "Bang a Gong" (originally by T Rex, I think).
Kiley Menogue's "Locomotion" (originally by Little Eva).

Eric in IL
12-30-2005, 12:41 AM
I don't really like cover songs either, but some of the best are when the songs are updated or modernized, such as the Chili Peppers version of "Higher Ground." I also like Michael Damian's "Rock On" and Power Station's "Get It On (Bang A Gong)".

Among the worst: I know Britney Spears is an easy target, but Devo's version of "Satisfaction" is worse. Guns and Roses wretched version of "Live and Let Die" has got to be right up there too. There are so many bad ones, but those top my list.

pedro
12-30-2005, 12:42 AM
Van Morrison (with Them) does the best cover of "It's all over now baby blue" IMO. By far.

I didn't mind it when the grateful dead did it either.

M2
12-30-2005, 01:08 AM
Ike and Tina's "Proud Mary" leaps to mind

I wouldn't call it the best ever, but the Atari's version of "Boys of Summer" was a lot of fun. Joan Jett's "I Love Rock 'N' Roll" certainly deserves a mention.

It's hard to be definitive about these things, though in this case there might be an actual answer. Aretha Franklin lifted "Respect" from Otis Redding and now almost nobody remembers Otis Redding originally did the song.

RedsIn07
12-30-2005, 01:09 AM
Van Morrison (with Them) does the best cover of "It's all over now baby blue" IMO. By far.

Speaking of the Grateful Dead, they have been taking down all live recordings of their concerts off the internet recently, kinda odd considering they allowed sharing/trading for over 30 years. Doesn't really bother me though was never really a fan.

Reds Nd2
12-30-2005, 01:26 AM
As a rule, I hate any cover songs, but there are some covers that I think just rock.

Not necessarily the best, but a few of the favs off the top of my beer addled mind...
Big Ten-Inch Record ~ Aerosmith
Rattlesnake Shake ~ Aerosmith (RIP Peter Green)
Knocking on Heaven's Door ~ Guns n Roses (Live without the filler)
Anarchy in the U.K. ~ Motley Crue (Live)

Maybe not the worst, but they give me pause... Would it be quicker to kill myself, shoot the radio, or just change stations.
Anything on this ~ Piece of Poop.

http://i3.ebayimg.com/03/c/00/c1/e0/7e_7.JPG

Ravenlord
12-30-2005, 01:32 AM
good:

"Knockin' on Heaven's Door"- Guns N Roses
"Chance"-Cypher
"Nessum Dorma"-ManOwaR
"Anarchy in the USA"-Motley Crue
"Always on my Mind"-Willie Nelson
"He Stopped Loving Her Today"-Johnny Cash
"Hurt"-Johnny Cash
"Cinnamon Girl"-Type O Negative
"How Soon Is Now?"-TATU (you have a problem with that punk?)
"Crazy Train"-Avatar/Savatage
"Neon Knights"-Steel Prophet
"Heaven and Hell"-Enola Gay
"Whiskey in the Jar"-Metallica
"Shout"-Disturbed
"Burning For You"-Iced Earth
"Long Way to the Top (If You Wanna Rock N' Roll)"-Iced Earth
"Creatures of the Night"-Iced Earth
"Highway to Hell"-Iced Earth
"Screaming For Vegence"-Iced Earth

bad:
"The Wall"-Korn
"Word Up"-Korn
"Rainbow Eyes"-Chase the Rainbow
"Paranoid"-Type O Negative
"Smells Like Teen Spirit"-Type O Negative
"Paint It Black"-Seventh Angel
"Am I Evil?"-Metallica

to qualify as good, i have to like it better than the original version. the be bad, it has to be nearly unlistenable to me.

TeamBoone
12-30-2005, 01:45 AM
I forgot all about Whiskey in a Jar... love it!

Caseyfan21
12-30-2005, 02:26 AM
Ugh- totally agree.

When you cover a song, you don't do the hardest to surpass. You do the easiest. I wouldn't touch "Boys of Summer," "Satisfaction," "Sweet Child O'Mine"....none of an artist's best work. It would seem to me better to cover a lesser known piece of work like Rod Stewart did with Tom Waits and Robbie Robertson.

Also- Dave Matthews does an awesome version of "Time of the Season" by The Zombies.

I was thinking of mentioning Time of teh Season but I decided I wouldn't because I figured I might take some crap for being a "homer." I think a lot of people know I am a DMB fanatic and I thought mentioning it might sound bad but it is a really cool cover. The RR 2005 version that just came out sounds awesome. If I have time tomorrow I might try to upload a live version of it from this past summer (it's perfectly legal to trade live DMB music so no one jumps on me).

GAC
12-30-2005, 04:57 AM
Terrible

The entire Sgt Pepper fiasco produced by the Bee Gees and misc. artists. Though I did like Aerosmith's rendition of Come Together. And when it came out, for Maurice Gibb to say that they would be better remembered for Sgt Pepper then the Beatles was totally laughable.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered - Peter Frampton

Something - Frank Sinatra (who credits it to Lennon-McCartney)

I Am The Walrus - Styx

Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds - William Shatner :lol:

American Pie - Madonna

Behind Blue Eyes - Limp Bizkit

Best

Early in their careers, I think both the Beatles and the Stones did some excellent cover renditions of various songs....

Long Tall Sally, Slowdown, Twist and Shout, Money, You Really Got A Hold On Me.

Mr Tambourine Man - The Byrds

Summertime Blues - Who

All Along The Watchtower - Hendrix

I Heard It Through The Grapevine - CCR

Stand By Me - John Lennon (the rest of the album can go up top)

You Really Got Me and Pretty Woman - Van Halen

Jealous Guy - Roxy Music

You Got A Friend - James Taylor

Mr Bojangles - Nitty Gritty Dirt Band

Purple Haze - Frank Marino

Back In The Saddle - Aerosmith :lol:

MrCinatit
12-30-2005, 07:41 AM
ah, there are some very good choices here.
The Beatles were the king of remakes, and much of their early years were helped by being able to very competently cover recently-made songs. that said, some of my own picks:

okay, who do you guys consider the original artists and remake artists on this one: Come and get it. it was originally done by BadFinger, as written by Paul McCartney. but with the release of The Beatles Anthology, we are given the opportunity to hear the song before Badfinger got it. i like both.

there are two versions of Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here i've heard. One i am pretty sure is done by Radiohead - i think that is the version i like.
there is another which was done shortly after 9/11 - somehow, it was turned into a patriotic song. i don't hate the song...but the original loses all meaning with the newer lyrics.

My Way, originally done by Frank Sinatra, covered by Sid Vicious as only Sid could. rude, crude, biting...and one of the best covers i've ever heard.

Maybe I'm Amazed, originally done by Paul McCartney, covered by The Faces. Rod Stewart belted out that song like it was intended.

Blackbird, originally done by The Beatles. Covered by Crosby, Stills & Nash; later covered by The Foo Fighters. both are rather good versions of the song.

It's All Too Much, again originally done by The Beatles. a pre-Steve Perry Journey did a cover of this song which i seem to remember liking very much.

In his early days Phil Collins did a couple of respectable covers in You Can't Hurry Love and Tomorrow Never Knows (another Beatles cover).

there is a cover of The Rolling Stones' Satisfaction by Bjork and some other lady i am very mixed on. the song starts off rather badly...but as the song goes on, the two ladies put in more and more passion - along with a very nice base-guitar beat - topping if off quite nicely.

The Rolling Stones once did a version of Drift Away which was very good. Mick is one who could pull that off. Ringo Starr, with Steve Tyler and Alanis Morriset which also was not too shabby.

Faith No More did a great version of The BeeGees' I Started A Joke.

Eric Burdon (formerly of The Animals) did a version of The BeeGees' You Don't Know What It's Like (To Love Somebody) that was excellent.

Katrina And The Waves (yeah, i know) did a most excellent cover of The Bangles' Going Down To Liverpool.

Everyone in the world has done a version of John Lee Hooker's Boom Boom. The Animals and ZZ Top did some great covers of the song. The Yardbirds? eh.

i'm not completely certain, but i think Bo Diddly did the original version of Who Do You Love. The Doors, The Band and Patti Smith did great covers of this song. Patti Smith also deserves a huge nod for her cover of Land of 1000 Dances/Gloria.

covers which never should have been done:
Madonna, American Pie. what was she thinking? i mean...take an 8 minute epic by Don McClean - a song of innocence lost, times gone by and a song filled with vivid imagry. and turn it into a five minute dance-mix disaster. yeah. good idea. hey, i know, lets let John Tesh do a version of Don't Fear The Reeper.

The Letterman covered The Beatles' Here, There And Everywhere. Deep hurting. Deep hurting.

i'm sorry, but Motley Crue's version of Helter Skelter pails in comparison to The Beatles' version.

Ringo Starr covered his own group's Love Me Do a few years ago. i think it was supposed to sound like a huge party. it sounded more like an aged rock star attempted to grab onto his past again.

12-30-2005, 08:11 AM
Best- The Rolling Stones "Ain't Too Proud to Beg".

The worst- Aformer local band that did a polka version of "Purple Rain".

KittyDuran
12-30-2005, 08:23 AM
Good thread!

That being said, I'm surprised no one has mentioned:

Joe Cocker's remakes... With A Little Help From My Friends, She Came In Through The Bathroom Window (Beatles), The Letter (Box Tops).

Johnny Rivers' remakes... Baby I Need Your Lovin (Four Tops), The Tracks Of My Tears (Smokey Robinson & The Miracles).

Linda Ronstadt's remakes... Silver Threads & Golden Needles, That'll Be The Day (Buddy Holly), When Will I Be Loved (The Everly Brothers).

Emmy Lou Harris remakes... (You Can Never Tell) C'est La Vie (Chuck Berry), Save The Last Dance For Me (Drifters), Blue Kentucky Girl (Loretta Lynn), The Boxer (Simon & Garfunkel).

Other bests:
Mary, Mary - The Monkees (Paul Butterfield Blues Band. This song was written by Mike Nesmith but PBBB did not credit him on their East-West album)

I'm Not Your Steppin Stone - The Monkees (Paul Revere & The Raiders)

Be Bop A Lula - Everly Brothers (Gene Vincent)

Can't think of any worst right now...

NJRed
12-30-2005, 08:57 AM
I Like Judas Priests version of Diamonds and Rust originaly by Joan Baez

TeamBoone
12-30-2005, 10:15 AM
Weird. I thought the Beatles covered Joe Cocker's "She Came in Through the Bathroom Window". Chronology is not my best suit.

deltachi8
12-30-2005, 10:46 AM
Best -

Superstition - Stevie Ray Vaughn (Stevie Wonder)
Thank You - Duran Duran (Led Zeppelin)
Get it on (Bang a Gong) - Power Station (T-Rex)
Little Wing - Sting
My Way - Sid Vicious
Summertime Blues - The Who

Worst-
Dancin in the Streets - Van Halen (and I love Van Halen but cringe at this)
Dancin in the Streets - Bowie and Jagger (if not for the video alone)
Live and Let Die - GnR
American Pie - Madonna
Traveling Band - Cinderella/Bon Jovi - Saw this live it was painfull.
Come Together - Aerosmith - like the band, never cared for their rendition.

Just off the top of my head...

Falls City Beer
12-30-2005, 10:54 AM

I might like the Van Morrison version if I didn't think Van Morrison sounded like Rod Roddy of The Price is Right fame. (I guess I should include VM on the "bad vocalists" thread)

ochre
12-30-2005, 10:55 AM
Good:
Johnny Cash's hurt and rusty cage (actually I like most of the covers he did on his last couple of albums).
Van Halen's Dancing in the streets.
Hendrix all along the watchtower.

StillFunkyB
12-30-2005, 11:00 AM
I really like "Simple Man" by Shinedown. I'm not a huge Skynrd fan, but I really like this song.

"Total Eclipse of the Heart" by the Dan Band. Not really the best, but it's funny stuff.

"Signs" by Tesla is great, and ditto "Knockin' on Heave's Door" by GNR.

Korn is one of my favorite bands, but their covers suck save "One". That was pretty good.

I'm not sure who did it, but whomever remade "Your Eyes" after Peter Gabriel should be shot on site.

My list of the worst is so long I can't even think of alot of them right now.

Oh yeah, almost forgot...I heard a really horrid version of "Baba O'Riley" on the radio once. It was sad.

Dom Heffner
12-30-2005, 11:12 AM
More Best:

Tainted Love- Soft Cell
Sweet Jane- Cowboy Junkies
Hazy Shade of Winter- The Bangles
Girl You'll Be a Woman Soon- Urge Overkill
Nothing Compares 2 U- Sinead O'Connor
Jolene- The White Stripes

More Worst
I Drove All Night- Celine Dion
Limp Bizkit- Faith
Papa Don't Preach- Kelly Osbourne
Personal Jesus- Johnny Cash (I'm going to get killed for that, but didn't like that one at all).

ochre
12-30-2005, 11:18 AM
Personal Jesus- Johnny Cash (I'm going to get killed for that, but didn't like that one at all).
Nah, that one was one of the few covers he did on that album that I found to be mediocre. I did like his Beatles cover (in my life) nearly as well as hurt though.

RedsBaron
12-30-2005, 11:25 AM
I agree with Dom with regard to "Can't Help Falling in Love"-nobody has ever done a cover of that song that was close to Elvis's original version.
I disagree with Dom with regard to "Always On My Mind." I've always preferred Elvis's original over Willie Nelson's cover, in part because (1) Elvis was a better singer and (2) the song was given to Elvis at the time of his breakup from Priscilla and was really about her.
I also did not care for Willie and Leon Russell's cover of Elvis's "Heartbreak Hotel."
A few more terrbile covers to consider:
William Shatner: "Mr. Tambourine Man" and "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds."
Leonard Nimoy: "Proud Mary" (why didn't DeForest Kelly do an album to complete a Star Trek hat trick?)
Bing Crosby-"Hey Jude"
Frank Sinatra-"Bad Bad Leroy Brown" (bad bad cover)
Cassuis Clay (before he changed his name to Muhammad Ali)-"Stand By Me"
Phyllis Diller-"I Can't Get No Satisfaction" (no surprise to hear that!)
Mitch Miller & The Gang-"Give Peace A Chance"

RedsBaron
12-30-2005, 11:27 AM

:thumbup:

MrCinatit
12-30-2005, 11:31 AM
More Best:

Tainted Love- Soft Cell

More Worst
I Drove All Night- Celine Dion
Limp Bizkit- Faith
Papa Don't Preach- Kelly Osbourne

the irony that Ozzie's daughter would do a Madonna song...let alone a Madonna song about her father preaching to her about the differences about rights and wrongs...let alone a song about unwanted pregnancy...
oooo
oooo
oooo
irony overflow.

RedsBaron
12-30-2005, 11:34 AM
This one is easy for me. For my money, the best cover ever done is The Beatles' version of "Twist and Shout," originally done by the Isley Bros.
Mae West did a cover of "Twist and Shout."

Doc. Scott
12-30-2005, 12:10 PM
Uncle Kracker's "Drift Away" (originally by Dobie Gray, though he "guests" on the UK version).

As if Uncle Kracker didn't suck enough, he has to go and do one of the laziest non-rap cover versions ever. Destroyed a classic tune.

More Best:

Tainted Love- Soft Cell

Word on pretty much all of these.

A couple of offbeat and similar-in-spirit versions of classic-rock songs:

Self, "What A Fool Believes" (Doobie Brothers) (http://www.heymercedes.com/citydaily/057whatafool.mp3)
Blitzen Trapper, "Crazy on You" (Heart) (http://www.mattwrightpr.com/mp3/blitzen_trapper-crazy_on_you.mp3)

Just in case you might be curious as to what FM staples sound like when played by toy instruments.

TeamBoone
12-30-2005, 12:38 PM
I might like the Van Morrison version if I didn't think Van Morrison sounded like Rod Roddy of The Price is Right fame. (I guess I should include VM on the "bad vocalists" thread)

Morrison is one of my absolute favorites.

TeamBoone
12-30-2005, 12:39 PM
As if Uncle Kracker didn't suck enough, he has to go and do one of the laziest non-rap cover versions ever. Destroyed a classic tune.

I couldn't disagree more (and apparently Dobie Gray liked and endorsed it).

Falls City Beer
12-30-2005, 12:42 PM
Morrison is one of my absolute favorites.

De gustibus non est disputandum

TeamBoone
12-30-2005, 12:43 PM
De gustibus non est disputandum

To each his own.

GAC
12-30-2005, 12:47 PM
okay, who do you guys consider the original artists and remake artists on this one: Come and get it. it was originally done by BadFinger, as written by Paul McCartney. but with the release of The Beatles Anthology, we are given the opportunity to hear the song before Badfinger got it. i like both.

I always hated that song regardless of who was singing it.

I made me up a Badfinger CD about a year ago, and that song ain't on it! :lol:

The Beatles wrote alot of songs for other bands/singers...

Wanna Be Your Man (Stones) (then it was also released by the Beatles with Ringo singing the lead).

A World Without Love (Peter and Gordon)

The Songs Lennon & McCartney Gave Away...

http://www.jpgr.co.uk/col_nut18.html

Doc. Scott
12-30-2005, 12:51 PM
I couldn't disagree more (and apparently Dobie Gray liked and endorsed it).

Dobie Gray needed some money, most likely. But you're entitled to your opinion, no disrespect intended.

bucksfan
12-30-2005, 01:58 PM
Best - Lyle Lovett covered the Grateful Dead's "Friend of the Devil" quite nicely IMO. Jimi's version of Dylan's "All Along the Watchtower (as Scrap mentions). Indigo Girls covered Dylan's "Tangled Up in Blue" nicely.

Worst - probably a ton of them, but without even having heard it I can believe that Sheryl Crow's "Sweet Chif O'Mine" would have to be in the running (or really anybody else's version of that song in all likelihood).

bucksfan
12-30-2005, 02:00 PM
I also really dig the Runaways' covers of "Here Comes the Sun" and "Strawberry Fields Forever"...

westofyou
12-30-2005, 02:05 PM
Band of Gold-True live travels a gravel road-Come see about me

Afghan Whigs
Uptown Avondale

Doc. Scott
12-30-2005, 02:13 PM
Band of Gold-True live travels a gravel road-Come see about me

Afghan Whigs
Uptown Avondale

Word on that. I just sold my copy of that record on Half.com. Afghan Whigs do a ton of other covers, too, including good versions of TLC's "Creep" and New Order's "Regret".

pedro
12-30-2005, 02:24 PM
Speaking of the Grateful Dead, they have been taking down all live recordings of their concerts off the internet recently, kinda odd considering they allowed sharing/trading for over 30 years. Doesn't really bother me though was never really a fan.

From what I've seen, it's been more of the jerry garcia band stuff. His widow is trying to milk the estate for all it's worth.

vaticanplum
12-30-2005, 02:25 PM
The Beatles wrote alot of songs for other bands/singers...

And there have been some great, great Beatles covers, some of which have already been mentioned -- but Here Comes the Sun by Nina Simone is amazing. Mother Nature's Son by Harry Nilsson. People cover Bob Dylan pretty frequently and sometimes well too -- did he write Tears of Rage? I like the Band's version better.

Nobody Does It Better by Radiohead is pretty sexy.

I'm not sure who wrote A Whiter Shade of Pale -- I assume it's Procol Harem -- but King Curtis did a great version of this song. (I should really do some research.)

Blue Skies by Willie Nelson.

And I'd like to add Memphis Tennessee to the Johnny Rivers list.

westofyou
12-30-2005, 02:27 PM
Willie and Merls version of Townes Van Zandts Pancho and Lefty is awesome too.

vaticanplum
12-30-2005, 02:30 PM
And I forgot Frank Bennett, the Australian dude who covers rock songs in a lounge style. My personal favorite is Better Man (Pearl Jam) with the female backup singers doing the "tic-toc" in the background on the line about the clock and their raging chorus. This is a huge hit at parties.

pedro
12-30-2005, 02:34 PM

That almost transcends what a "cover song" is IMO.. Towns may have written that song, but it isn't his anymore.(although I'm sure he appreciates the checks if he still owns the publishing rights)

paintmered
12-30-2005, 02:34 PM
It's not the best of all time, but Alien Ant Farm did improve on Michael Jackson's "Smooth Criminal".

pedro
12-30-2005, 02:36 PM
It's not the best of all time, but Alien Ant Farm did improve on Michael Jackson's "Smooth Criminal".

I like it though. Good video.

RedsBaron
12-30-2005, 02:40 PM
Yep.:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

westofyou
12-30-2005, 02:50 PM
I'm sure he appreciates the checks if he still owns the publishing rightsHis widows do.

paintmered
12-30-2005, 02:50 PM
Anberlin did a great cover of The Cure's Lovesong. Much better than the more popular 311 version.

westofyou
12-30-2005, 02:53 PM
Dinosaur Jr version of Just like Heaven rules the planet.

Steve4192
12-30-2005, 03:01 PM
Anything and everything covered by Dread Zeppelin. Gotta love Tortelvis and the boys putting a reggae spin on the original classics.

Yachtzee
12-30-2005, 03:08 PM
I agree on Dinosaur Jr.'s "Just Like Heaven"

I really enjoyed Dynamite Hack's version of "Boyz in da Hood"

pedro
12-30-2005, 03:35 PM
Roxy music does a really good cover of Neil Young's "Like a hurricane"

Doc. Scott
12-30-2005, 04:26 PM
But The Chocolate Watchband's version is better .

But heck here's both

www.deadballart.com/redszone/13thbaby_blue.mp3

www.deadballart.com/redszone/CWB_baby_blue.mp3

Hmmm... hard to compare these. I might say the Van Morrison version is better than both. Both of these Nuggets bands are better with more aggressive material.

M2
12-30-2005, 06:19 PM
I Like Judas Priests version of Diamonds and Rust originaly by Joan Baez

I liked their version of Fleetwood Mac's "Green Manalishi" even better.

Johnny Cash's "Hurt" is awesome as is the Circle Jerks' "Golden Shower of Hits". Red House Painters do a great, plodding version of Kiss' "Shock Me" and the Dandy Warhols do the best version ever of "Little Drummer Boy", in fact it's my favorite Christmas song.

Two covers that I don't think deserve mention are Cowboy Junkies' "Sweet Jane" and Power Station's "Bang a Gong". The originals were better.

ghettochild
12-30-2005, 06:24 PM
didn't rtft

anything by me first and the gimmie gimmies is awesome

pedro
12-30-2005, 06:29 PM
"Behind Blue Eyes" by Limp Bizkit makes me want to hurt people.

ochre
12-30-2005, 06:43 PM
"Behind Blue Eyes" by Limp Bizkit makes me want to hurt people.

You don't know what its like. To be the sad one, that is.

M2
12-30-2005, 06:47 PM
Some other great ones -

The Pixies - "Wave of Mutilation"
The Clash - "I Fought the Law"
Toots and the Maytals - "Take Me Home, Country Roads"
Shaggy - "Oh, Carolina" (though the Junior Byles original is awesome too)

Been thinking about the worst ever. Don't know if it's the worst, but Motley Crue's "Anarchy in the U.S.A." sucks and it pisses me off. Talk about trying to ape a scene you never were part of while turning out an inferior version of a classic.

Doc. Scott
12-30-2005, 06:50 PM
Been thinking about the worst ever. Don't know if it's the worst, but Motley Crue's "Anarchy in the U.S.A." sucks and it pisses me off. Talk about trying to ape a scene you never were part of while turning out an inferior version of a classic.

Sixpence None the Richer's "There She Goes" (La's) is pretty awful.

Pat Boone made a career out of doing awful covers... first with a straight face in the fifties, then without one in the nineties.

pedro
12-30-2005, 06:52 PM
M2, are you sure "Wave of Mutilation" is a cover?

pedro
12-30-2005, 06:55 PM
You don't know what its like. To be the sad one, that is.

I blame you.

ochre

Their Helter Skelter wasn't too bad though.

Falls City Beer

I was wondering the same thing. I seem to remember an interview with B.Francis talking about the idea behind writing the song.

pedro
12-30-2005, 06:56 PM
Doc, you're killing me just making me think about "Sixpence none the richer"

M2
12-30-2005, 07:02 PM

I always thought it was, but now that I check into it, I have been operating under a false assumption for the past 16 years. Sorry about the confusion.

pedro
12-30-2005, 07:06 PM
I always thought it was, but now that I check into it, I have been operating under a false assumption for the past 16 years. Sorry about the confusion.

No worries, the lyrics always just seemed so classic "Pixies" that I was surprised when I read your post.

Sean_CaseyRules
12-30-2005, 07:08 PM
Hayseed Dixie did a bunch of AC/DC songs in country style!
I really liked that

MrCinatit
12-30-2005, 08:17 PM
i think it was The Gourds who did a hilarious - but rather well done - version of Snoop's Gin & Juice. nothing like listening to some hillbillies do gangsta rap.
Nina Simon's version of Here Comes The Sun is spectacular, as is the cover done by Richie Havens.

deltachi8
12-30-2005, 08:40 PM
One i forgot in the good category - Stanley Jordan's version of Stairway To Heaven.

paintmered
12-30-2005, 08:42 PM
Save Ferris did a good cover of "Come On Eileen".

Falls City Beer
12-30-2005, 11:05 PM
Dinosaur Jr version of Just like Heaven rules the planet.

YOUUUU!!!!!

oneupper
12-31-2005, 12:18 PM
Hayseed Dixie did a bunch of AC/DC songs in country style!
I really liked that

I saw those on iTunes (and listened to a few soundbites).

I really really hope you are kidding. :pray:

Johnny Footstool
12-31-2005, 03:35 PM
i think it was The Gourds who did a hilarious - but rather well done - version of Snoop's Gin & Juice. nothing like listening to some hillbillies do gangsta rap.

That version is probably my favorite cover song ever.

I also dig Me First and the Gimme Gimmes.

I think "Easy" by Faith No More was awe-inspiring, even though they cut the second verse of the song.

I downloaded an incredible live Prince cover of Shania Twain's "Still the One."

M2
12-31-2005, 04:51 PM
I think "Easy" by Faith No More was awe-inspiring, even though they cut the second verse of the song.

Ditto.

marcshoe
12-31-2005, 05:03 PM
One i forgot in the good category - Stanley Jordan's version of Stairway To Heaven.

Well, if we're going to include Jazz covers, then Maynard Ferguson did a killer version of the Sesame Street theme. :evil:

I used to work with a guy in radio who believed that Maynard Ferguson was the antichrist because of the liberties he took with classic tunes (such as "Take the A Train"). The same guy, for what it's worth, thought that Carole King had the world's worst voice.

He was a choral director in his spare time.

dman
12-31-2005, 05:04 PM
Best - You Really Got Me by Van Halen

Worst- Winger's cover of Purple Haze

Johnny Footstool
12-31-2005, 05:15 PM
Worst- Winger's cover of Purple Haze

We have a winner.

Steve4192
12-31-2005, 07:37 PM
In regards to Hayseed Dixie ....

I really really hope you are kidding. :pray:
You have to take them with a HUGE grain of salt.

They are the hillbilly version of Dread Zeppelin, a band that has no reservations about playing covers (almost exclusively) and puts their own unique spin on the tunes. They are playing the songs that they grew up with, and make no apologoes about playing them in their own bluegrass style. I love me some AC/DC, and I love bluegrass, so Hayseed does some wonderful work IMO. Ditto for Dread and their Zeppelin/reggae concoction.

marcshoe
12-31-2005, 08:13 PM
In regards to Hayseed Dixie ....

You have to take them with a HUGE grain of salt.

They are the hillbilly version of Dread Zeppelin, a band that has no reservations about playing covers (almost exclusively) and puts their own unique spin on the tunes. They are playing the songs that they grew up with, and make no apologoes about playing them in their own bluegrass style. I love me some AC/DC, and I love bluegrass, so Hayseed does some wonderful work IMO. Ditto for Dread and their Zeppelin/reggae concoction.

When I saw your screen name, I expected a vote for "only Sixteen". :D . . . but then I remembered that was Doctor Hook.

TeamBoone
12-31-2005, 11:00 PM
The same guy, for what it's worth, thought that Carole King had the world's worst voice.

I don't think she thought her voice was good either. She penned many hits for others over the years before she ever recorded herself.

marcshoe
01-01-2006, 12:27 AM
True enough, but this guy thought that it was an absolute travesty that she was ever allowed to record. This offended him personally.

I like listening to her, but I always like hearing people sing their own songs, no matter what the quality of their voice is. I even like Dylan (quite a bit, actually).

marcshoe
01-01-2006, 09:43 PM
Speaking of singer-songwriter types, when I think about it, probably my all-time favorite cover is Patti Griffin's version of "Take it Down" on the John Hiatt tribute album. Her voice absolutely cuts into me. Buddy & Julie Miller also tear through "Paper Thin" like nobody's business on the same album (most of the rest of the songs were older covers, like Bonnie Raitt's "Thing Called Love" and Freddy Fender's "Just Across the Borderline").

Stewie
01-02-2006, 10:00 PM
My favorite cover is Hendrix's version of "All Along the Watchtower."

My least favorite cover is definitely Mandy Moore's version XTC's "Senses Working Overtime." Simply awful.

I also don't like the Flying Lizard's cover of "Money (That's What I Want)."

Puffy
01-03-2006, 11:33 AM
I actually really like a lot of the covers, while some should just never be touched (anything ever done by Hendrix for example).

I really liked Cake's version of I will Survive and GnR's version of Knockin on Heaven's Door (plus all of their Spagetti Incident). Johnny Cash doing Hurt was surreal and awesome at the same time.

But the best cover I've ever heard is Metallica's version of Turn the Page, although Whiskey in the Jar is pretty awesome as well.

M2
01-03-2006, 12:47 PM
Oh, and my vote for best ever record with nothing but covers on it - "Saturday Morning's Greatest Hits". It's a gem from the '90s. The Butthole Surfers do a version of "Underdog" that reeks of genius.

Yachtzee
01-03-2006, 02:46 PM
Oh, and my vote for best ever record with nothing but covers on it - "Saturday Morning's Greatest Hits". It's a gem from the '90s. The Butthole Surfers do a version of "Underdog" that reeks of genius.

That is a good one. Other "tribute" albums I've enjoyed in the the past

"Schoolhouse Rock Rocks" (I really enjoy Blind Melon's version of "Three is a Magic Number")
"If I were a Carpenter..." (Carpenters tribute)
"Secret Agent Sounds" (Spy music)

Cedric
01-03-2006, 04:19 PM
All Along the Watchtower embodied everything great about a cover. My personal fav is probably Eddie Vedder's version of "You've got to hide your love away" Also like King of Carrot Flowers cover by Wilco.

M2
01-03-2006, 05:26 PM
Yachtzee, I love the avatar.

You'll be pleased to know that on New Year's Eve my wife and I macked on some cupcakes while watching Narnia.

wheels
01-03-2006, 10:41 PM
Yachtzee, I love the avatar.

You'll be pleased to know that on New Year's Eve my wife and I macked on some cupcakes while watching Narnia.

You're too old for that kind of thing, aren't you?:devil:

I can just see it now...

M2's wife: "Dooooode...I made these "cupcakes".

M2: "Yeah, man...Let's totally go see Narnia and eat 'em there...Cough!"

:thumbup: Way to ring in the New Year, Daddy!

M2
01-03-2006, 11:23 PM
You're too old for that kind of thing, aren't you?:devil:

I can just see it now...

M2's wife: "Dooooode...I made these "cupcakes".

M2: "Yeah, man...Let's totally go see Narnia and eat 'em there...Cough!"

:thumbup: Way to ring in the New Year, Daddy!

It was spur of the moment. My mother-in-law came over at the last minute and we were kicking around what to do. Once we decided to catch a flick, Narnia and cupcakes was on. We however did not have to check Yahoo! Maps to find the dopest route.

bomarl1969
01-04-2006, 12:53 AM
Best-or the ones I like better than the originals

Hair of the Dog-GNR
Anarchy in the UK-Crue
Turn the Page-Metallica
Sympathy for the Devil-GNR
Smokin in the Boys Room-Crue
Simple Man-Shinedown
Paranoid-Megadeth
Kockin' on Heaven's Door-GNR
Live & Let Die-GNR
If I Don't Have You-GNR
Come Together-Aerosmith
Boys of Summer-The Ataris

Worst-or the ones I hated
Sweet Child O Mine-Sheryl Crow
Any rock song that was copied by a rapper, Puff Daddy, etc.

wheels
01-04-2006, 01:10 AM
A couple of good ones, now that I've had time to think about it:

Cobra Verde's rendition of the Pink classic "I'm comin' out".

The Saints always did great cover songs...They did a great "River Deep, Mountain High" (Ike and Tina), also did a great cover of The Missing Links' "Wild About You".

I love Australian bands. Have I ever told any of you?

The Devil Dogs were really good at cover songs, most notably "Kissing Cousins".

The Real Kids version of Buddy Holly's "Rave On" is the bee's knees.

As for bad covers, I can't think of many right now, but I will say that it's time for everyone to please stop covering "Teenage Kicks". I know it's got an infectious hook, but move on. Cover 96 Tears or something instead.

I know some of you don't like covers, but they're really a tradition as old as Rock N' Roll. I really don't have a problem with them unless the band just plays them note for note, doing nothing to add new wrinkles to make 'em their own.
Heck, when you buy an old hotrod, you still have to supe 'em up a bit.

Right?

Yachtzee
01-04-2006, 08:59 AM
It was spur of the moment. My mother-in-law came over at the last minute and we were kicking around what to do. Once we decided to catch a flick, Narnia and cupcakes was on. We however did not have to check Yahoo! Maps to find the dopest route.

But do we need to call you "Aaron Burr" from the way you were dropping Hamiltons?

letsgojunior
01-04-2006, 02:15 PM
Best

Jeff Buckley - Hallelujah
Ryan Adams - Wonderwall
Pearl Jam - Last Kiss
Audioslave - Seven Nation Army
Lenny Kravitz - American Woman
Counting Crows - Big Yellow Taxi
Uncle Kracker - Drift Away
GNR - Knockin on Heaven's Door

pedro
01-04-2006, 02:19 PM
I really like Pavement's version of The Killing Moon by Echo & the Bunnymen

M2
01-04-2006, 03:40 PM
But do we need to call you "Aaron Burr" from the way you were dropping Hamiltons?

Nah, but y'all can me John Wilkes Booth because I dropped a Lincoln like it was nothin', yo.

Doc. Scott
01-04-2006, 03:54 PM
Nah, but y'all can me John Wilkes Booth because I dropped a Lincoln like it was nothin', yo.

Dude, that's the whitest virtual rapping I've ever read.

M2
01-04-2006, 03:57 PM
Dude, that's the whitest virtual rapping I've ever read.

Intentionally so. You don't "Lazy Sunday" with anything that's not pure vanilla.

KronoRed
01-04-2006, 04:15 PM
Jumping in here late..I found an old Babes in Toyland cd in the closet last night and I must say their cover of 'We are Family' is hilarious ;)

pedro
01-04-2006, 04:19 PM
Jumping in here late..I found an old Babes in Toyland cd in the closet last night and I must say their cover of 'We are Family' is hilarious ;)

They do a ripping "Calling Occupants Of Interplanetary Craft" on the "If I were a Carpenter" album.

There are a lot of good covers on that album.

westofyou
01-04-2006, 04:29 PM
Grab "Fakebook" by Yo La Tengo for a great set of cover tunes.

macro
01-04-2006, 05:01 PM
I don't know if this one has been mentioned yet, but...

Fountains of Wayne did a really good cover of Britney Spears' bubblegum hit "Hit Me Baby One More Time". (No, I'm not kidding. Give it a listen.)

It's on their newest CD, which is a collection of stuff they did before they made it big, I think.

pedro
01-04-2006, 05:08 PM
I don't know if this one has been mentioned yet, but...

Fountains of Wayne did a really good cover of Britney Spears' bubblegum hit "Hit Me Baby One More Time". (No, I'm not kidding. Give it a listen.)

It's on their newest CD, which is a collection of stuff they did before they made it big, I think.

They do a good cover of "Better Days" by the Kinks too.

Sweetstop
01-04-2006, 06:15 PM
Worst...anything William Shatner has copied

cinredsfan2000
01-04-2006, 07:21 PM
THE GOOD
Nazereth - The ballad of hollis brown- Orig By Bob Dylan
Quite possiblly the most depressing song ever written ?:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Cracker -Loser -Orig. Grateful Dead
A pretty starightforward cover of a lesser known Grateful dead tune .:thumbup:

Slayer -In a Gadda da vida Orig By IRON BUTERRFLY
trimmed down to a Lean & mean 3 :19 sec. From the Bloated 19 min + Original :thumbup: :thumbup:

Guns N Roses -Mama Kin -Orig. Aerosmith
A pretty straightfowrd take on the orig. :thumbup: :thumbup:

BackBeat Band- Aka Greg Duli - Afghan Whigs ,Don Fleming , Dave Grohl - Foo Fighters/Nirvana Mike mills- R.E.M., Thurston Moore -Sonic Youth ,Dave pirner-Soul Asylum Long Tall Sally orig . By Little Richard :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Backbeat band - Rock 'N' roll music orig. by chuck berry
From the movie soundtrack BACKBEAT about the beatles before the got famous and were just a bar band back in the early 60's .:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

N.I.N. Physical (your so) orig. By Adam ant
Never heard the original but a great N.I.N. song off the Broken E.P. :thumbup: :thumbup:

The BAD

Sheryl Crowe-Sweet Child of mine :barf: :barf:

Nickleback & kid rock -saturday nights alright for fighting :barf:

madonna- American pie :barf: :barf: :barf:

Brutus_the_Red
01-06-2006, 12:13 AM
Some of my favorite covers:

Iron and Wine - "Such Great Heights" (The Postal Service)

Nada Surf - "Where is my Mind" (The Pixies)

Dave Matthews - "All Along the Watchtower" (I like Hendrix too)

Pete Yorn - "Panic" (The Smiths)

The Black Crowes - "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" and
Eddie Vedder - "You've Got to Hide Your Love Away"

Coldplay - "Kingdom Come" (Cash)