PDA

View Full Version : The Dyson Vacuum Cleaner: Anyone Tried It?

Dom Heffner
12-30-2005, 12:16 AM
I am so sick of buying new vacuums and then having them lose their suction power or start kicking dust back out at all over the floor.

Has anyone here tried (or know someone who has) this $549 Dyson animal vacuum? I came this close to buying one at Target the other night but can't get myself to pull the trigger on a nearly $600 vacuum.

On the other hand, if it rocks, then it's money saved. I've read online reviews, and they seem to glow over the thing, but would love to get some unbiased info.

Red in Chicago
12-30-2005, 01:36 AM
i have a dyson, but it's not the $550 version...my cost about $350 and it came from sears...it works pretty good and it's easy to keep clean...it has a very long hose that you can vacuum the stairs with...the suction on that is remarkable...

before buying the dyson, i had a vacuum known as the phantom...i really liked that one, and it lasted for several years...when that one finally broke down, i ordered a newer version of the phantom and it was just plain aweful...no suction and too lightweight to do the job...never seizes to amaze me how they can take a perfectly good product, then over time cheapin it so that it's nothing like the original...anyway, back to the dyson...i hesitated to spend $350 on a vacuum, but since i have a dog, i really wanted something that could suck up the hair...can't say i would be willing to dish out $550 though...opt for one of the cheaper versions...i think you'll be happy...

GAC
12-30-2005, 05:13 AM
We have both a Hoover Wind Tunnel vac and carpet cleaner. I am satisfied with both. I was using it the other day though and the suction was terrible. So I opened it up and SOMEBODY in this household had vacuumed up a razorblade knife and a spoon, and they were stuck in the intake going into the bag. :lol:

I always thought a good slogan for vacuums would be "Our Vacuum Cleaners Really Suck!" :lol:

My Mom bought an Oreck vacuum cleaner and you better wear hearing protection because it's louder then a Who concert.

Here's GoodHousekeepings ranking of the best upright vacs....

http://magazines.ivillage.com/goodhousekeeping/consumer/appliances/articles/0,,284519_290094-2,00.html

Heath
12-30-2005, 07:40 AM
My wife REALLY wanted a Kirby - they aren't cheap and its a monster to lug around - but I've been extremely pleased and if it lasts like my grandmas' did (30 years!) it might be worth it.

StillFunkyB
12-30-2005, 10:35 AM
My wife REALLY wanted a Kirby - they aren't cheap and its a monster to lug around - but I've been extremely pleased and if it lasts like my grandmas' did (30 years!) it might be worth it.

My mother had a Kirby for years. One of my chores was vacuuming, so I was really glad that we had that Kirby. She had that thing for about 25 years. If you have $550 dollars to spend on a vacuum, I would honestly say to save up the extra loot to get a Kirby.

GAC
12-30-2005, 01:03 PM

I had a Kirby salesman (Gemini 3) come to my house about 10 years ago. I told him I wasn't interested, but he was a persistent cuss and wanted to clean a room, which he said was for free. So I let him, but also informed him that regardless, I wasn't buying a vacuum cleaner.

When done, he quoted me a price of $1300. I laughed hysterically. he came down to $700 (what a drop!), but I still said No.

I found out a week later, by a guy who bought one, that they would have came all the way down to $300. But they are gonna try and get what they can out of you if you're gullible.

But they are great vacuum cleaners

REDREAD
12-30-2005, 09:12 PM
We have the yellow dyson. It works really well. It does pick up a lot more dirt, lint, etc than our older vacuums. We bought it right after our Panasonic died, and it was amazing how much stuff it picked up, considering we vacummed every day with the old vacuum (although it was dying).

We paid around 300-350 for it (forget exact amount). IMO, it beats spending $80-100 every 3 years on a new vacuum. I hope it has good longevity, because it works really well.

GAC
12-31-2005, 04:03 AM
IMO, it beats spending $80-100 every 3 years on a new vacuum. I hope it has good longevity, because it works really well.

Anyone who goes to WalMarts or wherever, and buys a $79 vacuum cleaner, deserves to have dirty carpet. :lol:

oneupper
12-31-2005, 12:05 PM
FWIW... I got myself a Roomba a few weeks ago. LOVE IT!
But then again, I've got all hard floors (Tile and wood) and it's great on that (not sure about carpets).

I turn it on when I leave and empty it out when I get back. Great for lazy people like me!

GAC
12-31-2005, 02:05 PM
I'm still trying to find one of these. ;)

http://hshstsa.mapleservers.com/cyberspace/pics/rosie.jpg

RBA
12-31-2005, 11:43 PM
Factory-Reconditioned Dyson DC07 Cyclone Animal Upright Vacuum, Purple

$299 use code HOHOHOHO for another 25 bucks off. Ships free with you select super-saver shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001Z5JT6/002-3594711-0824014?n=284507

Dom Heffner
01-01-2006, 12:23 AM
So I did it. I'll let you know how it turns out!

Thanks, RBA!

For the discount code, too. :)

REDREAD
01-01-2006, 10:05 PM
Anyone who goes to WalMarts or wherever, and buys a $79 vacuum cleaner, deserves to have dirty carpet. :lol:

Why didn't you tell me that 12 years ago :laugh:

RBA
02-19-2006, 10:28 PM
Okay, it's time for a review. ;)

cincinnati chili
02-20-2006, 12:20 AM
What's vaccuuming?

westofyou
02-20-2006, 10:46 AM
What's vaccuuming?What you'll do before I show up at your house... I hope

Dom Heffner
02-20-2006, 11:24 AM
I received mine a week after RBA gave me the link, and I must say it rocks.

The thing picked up so much dust and cat hair from my carpet that I had to vacuum the thing 3 or 4 times. It is my favorite appliance now and I just vacuum sometimes to watch the thing fill up with crap.

It's really nice for pet owners because my cats (unlike me) seem to have this endless supply of hair.

The suction is what makes this thing unbelievable and it even came with a bunch of carpet cleaning supplies that really brought our carpet back to new. We've only lived here for 4 or 5 months, but with all the pet hair and dust and a crappy vacuum, the carpet was already starting to look bad.

It sort of makes vacuuming fun.

I know. I need help. But you all knew this.

pedro
02-20-2006, 12:01 PM
What you'll do before I show up at your house... I hope

I was waiting for that. Almost posted it myself. :laugh:

pedro
02-20-2006, 12:02 PM
I might have to get me one of these. I have a pretty bad cat hair issues in my house.

RBA
02-20-2006, 01:01 PM
Anyone interested, they have some refurbished ones at Big Lots.

pedro
02-20-2006, 01:02 PM
Anyone interested, they have some refurbished ones at Big Lots.

too bad we don't have Big Lots here.

KronoRed
02-20-2006, 01:03 PM
I might have to get me one of these. I have a pretty bad cat hair issues in my house.
Get cats the same color as the carpet

Works for me ;)

pedro
02-20-2006, 01:06 PM

Works for me ;)

Who has carpet?

Wood floors all the way.

Really the problem is the hair sticking to my clothes. White hair. And I don't really plan to start dressing like colonel sanders.

RBA
02-20-2006, 01:08 PM
too bad we don't have Big Lots here.

You haven't been looking. I think they are new to area.

http://www.biglots.com/storefind_redirect.asp?formname=SearchAdvForm&screen=find&linktype=storefind_results&link=storefind_results_xml&smap=storefind_results_xml&country=us&queryiconid=12&queryUseOrigin=1&queryRadius=100&queryUseOrigin=1&zip=97267&strStoreType=1&submit.x=22&submit.y=19

westofyou
02-20-2006, 01:09 PM

Works for me ;)2 long hairs and a house with mostly wood here, but 800 square feet of carpet in the upstairs loft... the color i sthe same but the hepafilter is full in 2 minutes and that is just gross.

pedro
02-20-2006, 01:18 PM
You haven't been looking. I think they are new to area.

http://www.biglots.com/storefind_redirect.asp?formname=SearchAdvForm&screen=find&linktype=storefind_results&link=storefind_results_xml&smap=storefind_results_xml&country=us&queryiconid=12&queryUseOrigin=1&queryRadius=100&queryUseOrigin=1&zip=97267&strStoreType=1&submit.x=22&submit.y=19

your right thanks. guess I don't get out to the burbs much. I'll have to check that out.

westofyou
02-20-2006, 01:20 PM
your right thanks. guess I don't get out to the burbs much. I'll have to check that out.
most of those are OTP

TRF
02-20-2006, 04:29 PM
I've had a Kirby for 11 years now. It'll suck the butt right out of a cat.

It doubles as a workout machine as it ways 95 pounds.

gm
02-20-2006, 04:59 PM
I had a Kirby salesman (Gemini 3) come to my house about 10 years ago. I told him I wasn't interested, but he was a persistent cuss and wanted to clean a room, which he said was for free. So I let him, but also informed him that regardless, I wasn't buying a vacuum cleaner.

When done, he quoted me a price of $1300. I laughed hysterically. he came down to $700 (what a drop!), but I still said No.

I found out a week later, by a guy who bought one, that they would have came all the way down to $300. But they are gonna try and get what they can out of you if you're gullible.

But they are great vacuum cleaners

My wife "tried" to sell Kirby's many years ago. Those sales-people will take anything for a trade-in (and I mean anything) I think we have a G-3 with the shampoo attachments. When the Filter Queen guy came by she did a side-by-side and the Kirby smoked him. FQ wanted $800 for an air filtration system (hepa) and I found a used one on eBay for $80. FWIW, we got free pizza and movie passes for letting him do the demo...

pedro
02-20-2006, 05:19 PM
I've had a Kirby for 11 years now. It'll suck the butt right out of a cat.

It doubles as a workout machine as it ways 95 pounds.

:laugh:

RBA
02-20-2006, 05:22 PM
As long as it doesn't triple as a girlfriend.

TRF
02-20-2006, 07:29 PM
As long as it doesn't triple as a girlfriend.

Don't tell my wife. :)