PDA

View Full Version : Maurice Clarett accused of aggravated robbery

Reds Fanatic
01-01-2006, 11:28 AM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10672212/

COLUMBUS, Ohio - Former Ohio State University running back Maurice Clarett was accused of using a gun to rob two people in an alley behind a bar early Sunday, police said.

Clarett, 22, who helped the Buckeyes win the national championship in 2002, fled when the bar owner or manager, who knew Clarett and the victims, came into the alley and identified him shortly before 2 a.m.

According to police, Clarett left the scene in a white sport utility vehicle with two other men and got only a cell phone from his alleged victims, who weren’t injured. He was wanted on two counts of suspicion of aggravated robbery.

Clarett sat out the 2003 season after he was charged with misdemeanor falsification for filing a police report claiming that more than $10,000 in clothing, CDs, cash and stereo equipment was stolen from a car he borrowed from a local dealership. He later pleaded guilty to a lesser charge.

Ohio State suspended Clarett for misleading investigators, and for receiving special benefits worth thousands of dollars from a family friend.

He later began an unsuccessful legal fight that went to the U.S. Supreme Court to be allowed in the NFL early. Clarett was chosen by the Denver Broncos in last year’s draft, but the team cut him in August.

kbrake
01-01-2006, 11:47 AM
Really sad that things have gotten this out of hand for Maurice.

Caseyfan21
01-01-2006, 11:57 AM
Not even a surprise. After the lies he told against Ohio State that started all of the investigations, I don't think anyone in Columbus would stand up for him now after he was on top of the world this time of year 3 years ago. He is a complete waste of talent and it's really too bad he listens to the wrong people and makes stupid choices.

GAC
01-01-2006, 12:04 PM
According to police, Clarett left the scene in a white sport utility vehicle with two other men and got only a cell phone from his alleged victims

Can you blame him? Have you seen the huge rise in cell phone bills? ;)

And he is still on the run.

I say they call the cell phone and see if he answers.

Yeah, he's obviously that stupid. Or maybe just misunderstood. Where's Jim Brown?

westofyou
01-01-2006, 12:31 PM
Gotta be a UM joke in there for you OSU fans right? ;):laugh: :laugh:

StillFunkyB
01-01-2006, 12:34 PM
I blame his parent(s).

Sad, really. He was so good.

captainmorgan07
01-01-2006, 01:44 PM
i hope they find him lock him up and throw away the key after what he did to osu and all the questions they ahd to answer about him they shoulda ask him all of those at his court case

Unassisted
01-01-2006, 02:29 PM
What goes around comes around. You'd think he'd be more interested in proving his critics wrong than proving them right.

Hope his taste in defense attorneys is better than his taste in agents.

flyer85
01-01-2006, 03:09 PM
Hope he has an ample supply of soap-on-a-rope.

Hap
01-01-2006, 05:09 PM
This could have been his fourth season at OSU and he could have been the X-factor that could have led the Buckeyes to a few more championships.

RedsBaron
01-01-2006, 05:20 PM
Wow. :( If he did this, what a sad but amazing fall.......:eek:

CTA513
01-01-2006, 06:00 PM
He would fit right in with the Ravens.

:p:

Spring~Fields
01-01-2006, 07:14 PM
This guy has been telegraphing his desitny to the gutter of self defeat and self destruction for some time now. Frustrating when he could have made different choices all along the way so easily and for a while lived the dream life. Apparently he won't listen to any constructive input from that which have probably tried to mentor him, maybe since he is young the courts can modify his thinking in time to make a major difference, but the choice will remain his.

deltachi8
01-01-2006, 08:24 PM
Former RBs in white SUVs escaping the law.....hmmm....

Roy Tucker
01-01-2006, 08:29 PM
Boy, if there is a way to show how to screw up a great college career, Clarett has demonstrated it.

He should have been in Tempe preparing for for the Fiesta Bowl (and maybe the Rose Bowl if his career would have stayed on track) at the end of a successful senior year with one or two national championships and maybe a Heisman under his belt. Instead, he's in jail.

MWM
01-01-2006, 08:47 PM
I think he's a perfect example of of someone who believed all the hype he was hearing about himself his whole life. He thought he was invincible and listened to the wrong people. Sad. He was a great talent.

RFS62
01-01-2006, 08:53 PM
Well, he's perfectly positioned to sell the movie rights now.

Spring~Fields
01-01-2006, 10:19 PM
(and maybe the Rose Bowl if his career would have stayed on track) at the end of a successful senior year with one or two national championships and maybe a Heisman under his belt. Instead, he's in jail.

That is so very close to true. OSU only lost by 3 to Texas and 7 to Penn St., an oustanding running back could have made a significant difference in those close games, converting a few key 3rd downs, taking some pressure off the qb, closer field goal attempts, maybe even some touchdowns without much of a stretch if any.

They very well could have been in the Rose Bowl this year instead of Texas where he could be show casing for his next career move upward. He doesn't seem to have any problem letting others down, a whole team even, even when he made the commitment, then again he runs to others for help when he shoots himself in the foot.

BUTLER REDSFAN
01-01-2006, 10:29 PM
so predictable..............

wheels
01-02-2006, 01:39 AM
The "Ghetto Birds" were out in full force tonight.

Wonder if they were looking for Maurice.

GAC
01-02-2006, 06:06 AM
I think he's a perfect example of of someone who believed all the hype he was hearing about himself his whole life. He thought he was invincible and listened to the wrong people. Sad. He was a great talent.

Exactly Mike. I had my driveway paved about 2 years ago. The kids that were helping their Dad were juniors at OSU (both criminal law). The boy was the #3 kicker and roomed with the one receiver (Mike?). When I asked them what they thought of Clarett they both told me that what is out there doesn't even come close to showing all the crap this kid was into on campus. They said that if you really want to know, ask the student body. His ego thought he was invinsible, and that he could get away with anything and was untouchable.

Sad. And his Mom was of no help either. While his Dad, who was really not part of his life growing up, was hoping the boy would hit it so he could cash in.

Hap
01-02-2006, 10:01 AM
Maybe Clarett and Greg Simpson can share a prison cell.

StillFunkyB
01-02-2006, 10:52 AM
Maybe Clarett and Greg Simpson can share a prison cell.

Along with Damon Stringer. OSU has had some real winners.

MWM
01-02-2006, 11:21 AM
I played against Greg Simpson once. My High School team played against him every year twice (I didn't play my last two years). He's the best High School basketball player I've ever seen. He was amazing. It's sad what happened to him.

westofyou
01-02-2006, 11:28 AM
The best High School basketball player I've ever seen.

Dexter Baily - Summit Country Day Class of 1980, Xavier class of 84, 216th pick by the Nuggets.

Spring~Fields
01-02-2006, 01:04 PM
This thread and story on Clarett has caused me to stop think and focus last night and today, to think about those of you and so many of you here that are members of Redszone that pursue your goals and objectives daily in the universities and colleges, those of you that have already accomplished those fine goals and pursuits and are applying your talents and skills daily.

It troubles me that it seems that he gets more public recognition, when it is each of you that should be receiving public recognition, acknowledgement, and praise. I learned one thing from the story, that I truly respect and appreciate each of you and admire each you for choosing to make the right choices and to follow them through vs the guy that has decided to add to age old societal problems, each of you are the solutions, the antidote to his kind of thinking and doing in my opinion. He is common, each of you are not common and are especially important to our society. Thank you for being who you are and making the wise decisions.

Hap
01-02-2006, 01:39 PM
Dexter Baily - Summit Country Day Class of 1980, Xavier class of 84, 216th pick by the Nuggets.

I'm sure Dexter Bailey was a very fine player.

However........................................... ............

Greg Simpson was better.

westofyou
01-02-2006, 01:40 PM
I'm sure Dexter Bailey was a very fine player.

However........................................... ............

Greg Simpson was better.
But I never saw him play.

However I did see Dexter.... LaSalle Thompson too... he was pretty damn good.

Reds Fanatic
01-02-2006, 10:42 PM
Clarett turned himself in to police tonight.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2278418

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Former Ohio State running back Maurice Clarett turned himself in Monday night on charges of robbing two people at gunpoint in an alley behind a bar.

Clarett turned himself in after 9 p.m. at the county jail, Columbus Detective Art Hughes said.

The 22-year-old player, who helped the Buckeyes win the national championship in 2002, was wanted on two counts of aggravated robbery. He is accused of flashing a gun and demanding property from a man and a woman behind the Opium Lounge in downtown Columbus shortly before 2 a.m. Sunday.

Police said he fled with two men in a sport utility vehicle after he was identified by the bar owner, who happened to come out into the alley.

Before the incident, Clarett was negotiating a deal and was likely going to sign with an NFL team on Monday, Josh Luchs, one of Clarett's agents, told ESPN The Magazine's Tom Friend. Clarett was expected to be allocated to NFL Europe if he signed, Friend reported.

After helping Ohio State win the title, Clarett was suspended the following season after he was charged with filing a false police report claiming more than $10,000 in property was stolen from a car he was using. Ohio State officials also said he had gotten thousands of dollars in special benefits from a family friend.

Clarett rushed for 1,237 yards and scored 16 touchdowns as a freshman. He sat out the 2003 season after he was charged with misdemeanor falsification for filing a police report claiming that more than $10,000 in clothing, CDs, cash and stereo equipment was stolen from a car he borrowed from a local dealership. He later pleaded guilty to a lesser charge.

In an interview with ESPN The Magazine in November 2004, Clarett said coaches and boosters arranged for him to get passing grades, cars and thousands of dollars while at Ohio State. None of the allegations were verified and Clarett never responded to NCAA requests to be interviewed about them as part of its investigation into Ohio State's athletic program.

Clarett also unsuccessfully challenged the NFL's requirement that players wait three years after high school before turning pro in a case that went all the way to the U.S. Supreme Court.

Clarett was drafted by the Broncos last year but, because of injury, didn't get much chance to perform in training camp and was released in Denver's first round of cuts. He never got another tryout.

Broncos coach Mike Shanahan said he was "shocked" when he heard about the incident.

"Shocked. Hoping it's not true, and if it is, he'll have to deal with the consequences, which seem like they'll be very steep," Shanahan said Monday.

Chip R
01-03-2006, 01:50 PM
Boy, if there is a way to show how to screw up a great college career, Clarett has demonstrated it.

He should have been in Tempe preparing for for the Fiesta Bowl (and maybe the Rose Bowl if his career would have stayed on track) at the end of a successful senior year with one or two national championships and maybe a Heisman under his belt. Instead, he's in jail.

The problem with this logic is that you are assuming that he would have stayed in college until he was a senior. He wanted to leave after he was a freshman so what makes anyone think he would have stuck around for 3 more years?

By the way, if any of you tOSU fans have an extra 5K lying around, bond has been set for Clarett at $50K. I'm sure he'd really appreciate you ponying up the money for him. ;)

Roy Tucker
01-03-2006, 02:18 PM
He's the best High School basketball player I've ever seen.
Donald Smith of Dayton Roth. He lit Roy up like a Christmas tree. Roy was collecting splinters by the middle of the second quarter. I think Roth beat us by 40+ points.

Smith went on the be the all-time leading scorer at Univ. of Dayton (since supplanted I think) and played in the NBA.

Smith played at Roth with Phil Lumpkin and Larry Hamrick. Lumpkin was a big star at Miami U. and was in the NBA as well.

The scarey thing is that Hamrick was the best player. But he got caught up with the wrong crowd and drugs and never made it to college.

Everytime I hear about OJ Mayo, Bill Walker, and Keenan Ellis, I think about Smith, Lumpkin, and Hamrick.

westofyou
01-03-2006, 02:19 PM
Everytime I hear about OJ Mayo, Bill Walker, and Keenan Ellis, I think about Smith, Lumpkin, and Hamrick.Earl the Goat

bucksfan
01-03-2006, 02:28 PM

The Skywalker - nice to hear mention of him again.

Simpson was very very very good - I think he could have been one of the best guads in the nation with a decent head on his shoulders.

bucksfan
01-03-2006, 02:29 PM
Donald Smith of Dayton Roth. He lit Roy up like a Christmas tree. Roy was collecting splinters by the middle of the second quarter. I think Roth beat us by 40+ points.

Dayton Roth was one of the best HS basketball teams I had seen when Keith Byars played for them. I'd have to dig out my old program form that year's state tourney, but I recall them being just fanatastic.

traderumor
01-03-2006, 02:45 PM
Dayton Roth was one of the best HS basketball teams I had seen when Keith Byars played for them. I'd have to dig out my old program form that year's state tourney, but I recall them being just fanatastic.
Ugh, in Byars' Junior year Roth beat my HS in the AAA State Semis in one of the best HS games one could ever see. We had them by as much as 15 points in the second half, but they just kept coming and coming. Our star center, Mike Giomi, showed what a big guy on a man to man defense does and put up 40 points, but we just couldn't stop their athletes. They went on to beat Wadsworth the following night for the State. That was also the last time the Wildcats appeared in the Final Four.