PDA

View Full Version : Quick Playoff Question

Dom Heffner
01-01-2006, 03:05 PM
I just noticed that Pittsburgh is up by a touchdown on the Lions. Aren't we sort of rooting for the Steelers to win today because if they lose, KC makes it and the Bengals would play them next week?

I want no part of Larry Johnson.

Heath
01-01-2006, 03:17 PM
yes and yes

but dont worry - the Lions are the Cincinnati Reds of the NFL.

macro
01-01-2006, 03:56 PM
I'm not sure it makes much difference who the Bengals play next week, Dom. They're looking an awful lot like a one-and-out playoff team. It will be a crappy way to end the season. I'm reading on some Bengals boards that some will be selling their tickets on ebay this week. You know what that means: they'll be sold to people who will go to PBS and wave yellow towels. The bandwagon will empty pretty quickly.

I can't believe that the Bengals are in the playoffs for the first time in 15 years and I'm not even excited about it. :(

EDIT: I misread the comments on the other boards. Season ticket holders who bought extra sets are having a hard time selling them to Bengals fans, and figure they'll get scarfed up on ebay from Steelers fans. It's all speculation, I guess.

Playadlc
01-01-2006, 04:25 PM

GAC
01-01-2006, 04:31 PM
C'mon Bengal fans! You guys have plenty to be celebrating about with the year they have had. To make it to the post-season is in itself a huge step forward for this organization.

WVRed
01-01-2006, 04:45 PM
I just noticed that Pittsburgh is up by a touchdown on the Lions. Aren't we sort of rooting for the Steelers to win today because if they lose, KC makes it and the Bengals would play them next week?

I want no part of Larry Johnson.

I'd rather play the Chiefs again or the Jaguars than lose to the Steelers first round.:(.

TeamBoone
01-01-2006, 04:55 PM
C'mon Bengal fans! You guys have plenty to be celebrating about with the year they have had. To make it to the post-season is in itself a huge step forward for this organization.

Even though they looked like total crap today, I totally agree with you GAC. They've made it to the playoffs.

Though don't get me wrong, today's game was just painful; but I didn't expect them to do everything all the time in one year.

I'm still very proud of their season.

RedsBaron
01-01-2006, 05:22 PM
I'm glad to see the Bengals have a winning season, win the division, and make the playoffs, but I'm pessimistic about their chances against the Steelers next week.

Reds Fanatic
01-01-2006, 05:56 PM
They have just set the playoff schedule for next week and the Bengals will host the Steelers Sunday at 4:30.

traderumor
01-01-2006, 06:31 PM
Today's game was a throwaway. Neither Cincy or NE seemed to care who they would play, and rightly so. I know Marvin was scowling today, but that's just being a coach. This happens every year when teams have clinched, and rightly so. I know Buffalo was a legit upset, but today was simply a throwaway game.

I'm expecting the Bengals we saw at Heinz Field to show up next Sunday. I'm also glad we got the Sunday game since it means a normal practice week. C'mon Macro, ease up. Even if its one and done, this is much better than teams like the Chiefs, who get to have a last hurrah for the season but no post season. I'm in total disbelief that one can be anything but pleased with the season despite the letdown of the last two weeks. If the Bengals were the only NFL team to do this, I'd be worried, but this is typical of an early clincher.

remdog
01-01-2006, 06:53 PM
That was one sorry exhibition. One of the few times that the Bengals have been on TV on the Left Coast this season and they come up with a clunker. In some respects it was good to see though. They got out blocked, out run, out performed, out hustled. Now, after coming so far this season, hopefully they have seen how easy to have all that taken back with a crappy performance.

As it stands now, the Bengals are coming into the playoffs as the team going south on a northward march. Each player has to sit down and have a talk with himself as to how he wants to remember this season----a big step forward or a very visable return to inertia. Early in the season a lot of people were saying the Bengals weren't for real, that they would fold. A performance such as todays (or last weeks) next week will give those same people plenty of leeway to say, 'I told ya' so'.

Rem

traderumor
01-01-2006, 08:26 PM
A performance such as todays (or last weeks) next week will give those same people plenty of leeway to say, 'I told ya' so'.

RemPlaying the first string for longer than two series' should help ;)

MWM
01-01-2006, 08:45 PM
I was hoping for a Bengals loss and a Patriots win. I'd MUCH MUCH MUCH rather see Jax than Pittsburgh. I think New England had the same idea when they didn't play their starters in the second half. I don't think they wanted to win today. I wouldn't have if I were them.

WVRed
01-01-2006, 09:39 PM
I was hoping for a Bengals loss and a Patriots win. I'd MUCH MUCH MUCH rather see Jax than Pittsburgh. I think New England had the same idea when they didn't play their starters in the second half. I don't think they wanted to win today. I wouldn't have if I were them.

Matt Kassell almost ruined that.

remdog
01-01-2006, 10:15 PM
I was hoping for a Bengals loss and a Patriots win. I'd MUCH MUCH MUCH rather see Jax than Pittsburgh.

Going in, I was on the fence about that. The good point about the loss today is that it should (hopefully) make the Bengals mad and make them want to prove something next week. It would be bigger proof if they beat the Steelers rather than the Jags (plus the rivalry). The Steelers seem to have a lot of people convinced that, other than the Colts, they are the most talented team in the AFC.

Rem

macro
01-02-2006, 12:59 AM
Today's game was a throwaway. Neither Cincy or NE seemed to care who they would play, and rightly so. I know Marvin was scowling today, but that's just being a coach. This happens every year when teams have clinched, and rightly so. I know Buffalo was a legit upset, but today was simply a throwaway game.

I'm expecting the Bengals we saw at Heinz Field to show up next Sunday. I'm also glad we got the Sunday game since it means a normal practice week. C'mon Macro, ease up. Even if its one and done, this is much better than teams like the Chiefs, who get to have a last hurrah for the season but no post season. I'm in total disbelief that one can be anything but pleased with the season despite the letdown of the last two weeks. If the Bengals were the only NFL team to do this, I'd be worried, but this is typical of an early clincher.

tr, you make some good points here and also at Bengaldom (http://www.bengaldom.com/index.php?topic=54.0), and I want awfully bad to agree with you. Since this afternoon, I've moved from having no hope for a win to feeling about 50/50 about it.

GAC
01-02-2006, 07:55 PM
Giving up 340 yds/game, and a 120 of that rushing. The Bengals need to be worried.

Falls City Beer
01-02-2006, 08:01 PM
The Bengals can definitely win next Sunday. They could probably beat any team in the AFC not named Denver.

GAC
01-02-2006, 08:08 PM
I absolutely think the Bengals can win. Their inability to stop the run is bothersome. Willie Parker is gonna run on them. What they need to do though - and Parker has that tendency - is to create some turnovers. Plus the fact that they've only beaten one team (Pittsburgh) with a record better then .500 all year though has to taken into consideration. And these last two loses were kinda ugly.

But I'll be rootin' for them all the way next week.

I hate Pittsburgh (Scowler) with a passion.

MWM
01-02-2006, 08:40 PM
The Bengals have to score early and often to have a chance against the Stillers. They need to make them beat them in the air. Ben's thumb has gotten a little worse I think because he's not looked good at all the last few weeks.

GAC
01-02-2006, 08:43 PM
Two words - Hines Ward.