PDA

View Full Version : OSU-ND Game Thread

GAC
01-02-2006, 05:59 PM
Hmmmm.... didn't start out too well for OSU, with ND marching down the field on the initial drive to go up 7-0. But OSU has settled down, did a good job to deny ND any points after the Smith fumble, and having the ball inside the Buck's 10 yd line.

Ginn having a heck of a day so far (2 TDs)

14-7 Bucks.

ND's Weis has been in those official's ear alot already. :lol:

http://itsb.ucsf.edu/~vcr/APBastardLaugh.gif

Someone explain to me again why I'm suppose to like Brent Musburger? :lol:

KronoRed
01-02-2006, 06:11 PM
That was a terrible play on the OSU qb..don't pitch that far down field.

MWM
01-02-2006, 06:12 PM
Big time bonehead play by Smith. He had already gained almost 4 yards on the play. That's Smith's weakness. He has mental lapses too often.

GAC
01-02-2006, 06:17 PM
OSU's "D" seems to have made the right adjustments.

GAC
01-02-2006, 06:20 PM
I think that was pass interference! :lol:

MWM
01-02-2006, 06:30 PM
What a ridiculous rule.

GAC
01-02-2006, 06:30 PM
TD Holmes!

And they are gonna hit him with a celebration penalty. Just for raising his finger ponting #1?? Kinda silly penalty. That's excessive?

21-7 OSU

I think this is gonna be a lonnnnnng game for ND's backfield. Especially with Smith being able to tuck n run.

They are averaging 12 yds/play. Not good for ND.

CTA513
01-02-2006, 06:54 PM
Ohio State would be up by more than 14 if they took care of the ball better.

Spring~Fields
01-02-2006, 07:02 PM
Ohio St they play like a fine team at times and then revert to school yard type play at times, fumble, bad pitch, didn't make good use of the time left on that last series before the end of the half. They should have been up by more and Tressel with a decent lead might go conservative next half. :eek:

GAC
01-02-2006, 07:09 PM
ND has to figure out OSU's defense - because the ND defense is not gonna shut the Bucks out in the 2nd half. ;)

OnBaseMachine
01-02-2006, 07:18 PM
OSU is dominating this game on both sides of the ball.

Ted Ginn actually looks like a football player today and not just a track star playing football. No muffed punts or dropped passes.

GAC
01-02-2006, 07:19 PM
so far - 416 total yds for the Bucks. So much for conservative play. ;)

Quinn is getting knocked around a bit.

AJ also has great taste in woman! Wow!

She a sports reporter in LA

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2005/12/29/sports/29brady184.jpg

MWM
01-02-2006, 07:27 PM
OSU should be up 4 TDs right now. That ND offense is still dangerous. Not over yet.

OnBaseMachine
01-02-2006, 07:28 PM

She is hot...but she looked pissed after he sacked her brother. He may score on the field tonight...but he won't be scoring much AFTER the game.:D

GAC
01-02-2006, 07:34 PM
She is hot...but she looked pissed after he sacked her brother. He may score on the field tonight...but he won't be scoring much AFTER the game.:D

Mabe the reason she is drawn to AJ is because he's a SACK machine! :lol:

GAC
01-02-2006, 07:35 PM
ND TD, but they missed the extra pt. That could hurt. ;)

21-13 OSU.

GAC
01-02-2006, 07:40 PM
I can't believe that ND's defense allowed that same pass play to Ginn down the sideline. GEEZ! 40+ yd gain

OnBaseMachine
01-02-2006, 07:41 PM
:laugh:

Musberger makes my ears bleed.

GAC
01-02-2006, 07:43 PM
That looked like an incomplete pass! C'mon refs!

GAC
01-02-2006, 07:44 PM
Good. They got it right.

Playadlc
01-02-2006, 07:45 PM
I really do not like Ohio State.

MWM
01-02-2006, 07:45 PM
They got the call right.

GAC
01-02-2006, 07:46 PM
Hey! We made a FG!

24-13

Whew!

Watching this team sometimes gives me the shivers. :lol:

OnBaseMachine
01-02-2006, 07:48 PM
They made the right call, imo.

GAC
I really do not like Ohio State.

Then this is for you Play....... :mooner: :lol:

Playadlc
Then this is for you Play....... :mooner: :lol:

Haha...I'm an IU fan...can you blame me for not liking OSU?

GAC
01-02-2006, 07:50 PM
Throwing under our coverage like they are worries me.

GAC
01-02-2006, 07:51 PM
Haha...I'm an IU fan...can you blame me for not liking OSU?

Absolutely not. I feel your pain. ;)

MWM
01-02-2006, 08:25 PM
No way was that indisputable.

GAC
01-02-2006, 08:26 PM
I think someone got a generous call there. :rolleyes:

As usual though - OSU allows the opposition to stay in the game and make it interesting.

MWM
01-02-2006, 08:27 PM
this game feels disturbingly familiar to the Texas game.

MWM
01-02-2006, 08:31 PM
Tressel is so predicatble in these situations. There's too much time on the clock to go 3 and out. He needs to call plays like a normal situation and try to get a couple of first downs.

GAC
01-02-2006, 08:33 PM
Place your bets ladies and gentlemen - Tressel plays for a FG? :lol:

MWM
01-02-2006, 08:34 PM
That might do it. Great play by Smith.

GAC
01-02-2006, 08:34 PM
Tressel is so predicatble in these situations. There's too much time on the clock to go 3 and out. He needs to call plays like a normal situation and try to get a couple of first downs.

Yep. I agree.

Wow! Athletic play there by Smith for a critical 1st down pass!

GAC
01-02-2006, 08:35 PM
Pittman TD -GAME OVER!!!! 60 YDS!

MWM
01-02-2006, 08:35 PM
How did ND allow a hole THAT BIG in that situation? Ballgame!

GAC
01-02-2006, 08:37 PM
Man! That play reminded me of the Gonzales catch in the Michigan game. It couldn't have come at a better time, and right at the end of the game.

34-20 Bucks

MWM
01-02-2006, 08:37 PM
Anyone know anything about the linebackers replacing Hawk and Schlegel next year? The offense should be good next year with Pittman turning into a darn good back and with Chris Wells coming in. I know they're loaded at receiver. If the defense can be anywhere near as good as they were this year, it could be another special season.

GAC
01-02-2006, 08:38 PM
How did ND allow a hole THAT BIG in that situation? Ballgame!

Really. They had to know that Tressel was calling a run play to kill clock.

408 yds total for Smith. Wow!

GAC
01-02-2006, 08:40 PM
Anyone know anything about the linebackers replacing Hawk and Schlegel next year? The offense should be good next year with Pittman turning into a darn good back and with Chris Wells coming in. I know they're loaded at receiver. If the defense can be anywhere near as good as they were this year, it could be another special season.

I think their defense is gonna take a hit after this year. Big question marks.

GAC
01-02-2006, 08:47 PM
I have to admit that I had reservations about this OSU team going into the season. And even further reservations about Troy Smith early on. I'm glad he proved me wrong.

Our two losses were to two solid teams.... and I still get upset whenever I think of that game against Texas. It should have been.

CTA513
01-02-2006, 08:48 PM
so far - 416 total yds for the Bucks. So much for conservative play. ;)

Quinn is getting knocked around a bit.

She a sports reporter in LA

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2005/12/29/sports/29brady184.jpg

She looks like the lady from ESPNs Cold Pizza.

MWM
01-02-2006, 08:50 PM
Iand I still get upset whenever I think of that game against Texas. It should have been.

No kidding! The Texas game this year was the most frustrated I've ever been as a Buckeye fan. They clearly outplayed Texas but lost the game. It's like Appollo said in Rocky II, they won but they didn't beat them. Makes me wonder if it would have been different with Smith playing the whole game.

MWM
01-02-2006, 08:50 PM
I don't think she's all that hot.

GAC
01-02-2006, 08:53 PM

That's because you go to Michigan, and you're use to seeing the woman wear collars! :lol:

RBA
01-02-2006, 09:00 PM

Stick to sports where you have crediblity.

As of now, you lost your credibility of judging women's looks.

MWM
01-02-2006, 09:05 PM
Stick to sports where you have crediblity.

As of now, you lost your credibility of judging women's looks.

Hell, I don't have any credibility in sports either. I thought OSU was going to get beat handily tonight.

It's not that I don't think she's attractive, she is. But she's not smokin' hot or anything. She's a pretty lady. That's all.

Now THIS is hot!

http://us.movies1.yimg.com/movies.yahoo.com/images/hv/photo/movie_pix/mgm/wicker_park/eva_longoria/wickpreg.jpg

OnBaseMachine
01-02-2006, 09:13 PM
Hell, I don't have any credibility in sports either. I thought OSU was going to get beat handily tonight.

It's not that I don't think she's attractive, she is. But she's not smokin' hot or anything. She's a pretty lady. That's all.

Now THIS is hot!

http://us.movies1.yimg.com/movies.yahoo.com/images/hv/photo/movie_pix/mgm/wicker_park/eva_longoria/wickpreg.jpg

Eva Longoria! Hottest woman alive? Maybe.

Spring~Fields
01-02-2006, 09:30 PM
Ohio State played Notre Dame tougher than USC did, beating them by 14, while USC struggled to win by 3, and Notre Dame scored well against USC, I have to think that Texas might be number one when this is all over.

I thought the girl friend was trying too hard to do a Paris Hilton act with the expressions, it diminished her inner beauty to me.

ochre
01-02-2006, 09:45 PM
Freeman would have been on the field some this year, even with as good as Hawk, Carpenter and Schlegel have been. D'Andrea was rated higher than Hawk, or Carpenter when the three of them were recruited to here. He's had knee problems that have kept him from playing much, and might never fully recover.

Hoobler, known for his out of bounds hit in the Texas game before the half, looks to be decent. Freddie Lenix was supposed to be good, but he didn't get in academically and will (has?) enroll at UC. Animalson will be a force. John Kerr still has a year left I think. He was one of Indiana's best defenders as a true freshman, but transfered to OSU. I'm not sure if Vern Gholstein is seen as an OLB, or an end, but he was highly touted too. Curt Lukens might be a Will, somewhat like Cie Grant. Austin Spitler and Curtis Terry are two more to keep an eye on.

Incoming freshmen include Ross Homan (Bobby Hoying's cousin), Tyler Moeller. They are in on a couple of others. A kid named McCarthy from Florida is one to keep an eye on, from what I've read.

The key will be the D-Line. Pitcock needs to keep pulling double teams. Jay Richardson needs to become more consistent. Nader Abdallah, Sian Cotton, David Patterson, Todd Denlinger and Joel Penton should be a strong rotation on the inside. Their DEs are super from a potential perspective, but haven't really done much other than Kudla, who will be gone. Lawrence Wilson is physically a freak. Ryan Williams was a huge get from out in California. I expect him to play a bit next year. Doug Worthington was redshirted I believe, but he was a top recruit nationally as well.

I think they'll be ok in the secondary. Salley didn't seem to make a whole lot of plays this year. I hope Whitner comes back, since safeties his height aren't usually drafted all that high. Youbouty should come back, but I could see him leaving early, as he has great measurables and has played hurt a lot this year.

If their DLine comes together I could see their D being stellar again next year.

Unassisted
01-02-2006, 09:50 PM
If Musburger is right that Ohio State is likely to have a pre-season #1 or #2 ranking, and if Texas wins tomorrow, that OSU-Texas game next fall could be a matchup of #1 vs. #2. :thumbup:

Along those lines, here's an interesting blog entry (http://www.aberdeennews.com/mld/aberdeennews/sports/colleges/13535276.htm) by an AP reporter about tomorrow's Rose Bowl.

ROSE BOWL: I have a funny feeling about this game.

The Texas players sound hungry. Not wild-dog hungry, yet they have a quiet resolve. Vince Young plays up the no-respect theme, his teammates aren't so vocal. But privately they're seething that ESPN is showing a fantasy feature on how USC would do against the greatest teams in history.

I've covered more than a dozen bowl games, and only once do I remember a team sounding like these Longhorns. That was at the 1993 Sugar, the last time a pair of unbeatens met in a bowl. Miami was favored to whip Alabama in that one.

On the morning of Dec. 31, Bama coach Gene Stallings was asked how his players would spend New Year's Eve. He said he was taking them to a movie, and we asked which one. Stallings slowly leaned forward, lowered in his voice and in his best Bear Bryant imitation, he growled, "A Few Good Men." The reporters who'd covered Bryant way back said it made them shudder.

And when they played at the Superdome, Alabama had more than a few good men and rolled 34-13. Am wondering which team will have enough good men Wednesday night.

-- Ben Walker

Unassisted
01-02-2006, 09:54 PM
Eva Longoria! Hottest woman alive? Maybe.If the letters to the editor in the local paper and the callers to sports talk radio are to be believed, Eva is fast becoming public enemy #1 here in her adopted hometown. Because she is linked with Spurs guard Tony Parker, and has had a couple of profane and racist quotes in the media recently, she is committing the unpardonable sin of making the Spurs look bad. :rolleyes:

ochre
01-02-2006, 09:55 PM
anybody know how bad Rob Harley's knee was hurt. He hurt it on a special teams play and they briefly mentioned it as he went off the field. I just remember him tearing up his knee really bad in the game they retired his uncle Chic's number last year, or the year before. Too bad he had to go out like that in his last game. Hope he's alright.

traderumor
01-02-2006, 09:58 PM
I think Laura Quinn looks like her brother with makeup on, sort of in a LaToya/Michael way :evil:...well, before the bleach

alex trevino
01-02-2006, 09:59 PM

I agree she is attractive but not all that.

Reds Fanatic
01-02-2006, 10:21 PM
Ohio State will be losing Santonio Holmes next year. Minutes after the game he announced he is leaving school early and entering the NFL draft this year.

MWM
01-02-2006, 10:25 PM
The Buckeyes are a receiver factory. As good as he was, I don't think they'll miss a beat without him.

RBA
01-02-2006, 10:34 PM
If Musburger is right that Ohio State is likely to have a pre-season #1 or #2 ranking, and if Texas wins tomorrow, that OSU-Texas game next fall could be a matchup of #1 vs. #2. :thumbup:

Along those lines, here's an interesting blog entry (http://www.aberdeennews.com/mld/aberdeennews/sports/colleges/13535276.htm) by an AP reporter about tomorrow's Rose Bowl.

I'll bet you $25,000 or whatever you want that Texas does not win the Rose Bowl tomorrow. ;)

LoganBuck
01-02-2006, 10:38 PM
To expand on ochre take on next years OSU Defense.

The linebackers will be fine:
Laurinitis is a fine looking prospect definately a weak side guy
Dandrea should be healthy, but eveb before he was injured he was always a potential guy. His instincts have always been the question. He could step into Bobby Carpenter's role
Kerr is a backup in my opinion. A desire guy who needs to be a step faster.
Freeman is the potential star in the group. He never got to see the field this year because of injuries. The plan was for him to be Vince Young's shadow during the Texas game, but injuries prevented that.
Ross Homan is a clone of AJ Hawk. He is also going to enroll early and will go through spring ball. He could play a roll similar to Hawk did as a freshman
Moeller is undersized, but a total terror, he may be better served with a redshirt.
Colin McCarthy is compared to Dan Morgan, formerly of the Miami Hurricanes. Probably a redshirt candidate as well.
The big question is Thad Gibson, a blazing fast LB from Ohio, that is down to OSU and Michigan. He may not have the grades to get in but would be a definate impact player.

The Safety position should be good, because I think the backups may be better in coverage than Nate Salley has ever been.

Corner depends on Youboty. If he is back they are very strong there.

The defensive line will miss Marcus Green, he has been a very underrated player for the last two seasons. He does his job really well. He doesn't get much attention, but is good at of taking on blockers and making sure the Linebackers are free to move about. It goes without saying that Kudla's departure is the big blow to the D line. In my opinion he is the most improved player on the OSU defense. He is the difference between a good defense and a great defense. I saw a stat where he had 32 quarterback hurries this year. Sack statistics aren't as liberal in college as they are in the NFL, and his numbers could easily be much higher, if you take into account TFL on QBs outside the pocket. The replacements are just not as good, IMO. Lawrence Wilson is the key, he could develop and has the size/speed ratio to do it. Doug Worthington and Ryan Williams apparently both blew out there knees during Bowl practice if the rumors on the internet are true.

Next years Ohio State offense could be really special. The only limiting factor this season has been the mistakes. Holmes has already announced that he will go pro. Smart move, I think he may be the top WR in the draft, I will have to ponder that some. Ginn will only get better as he learns the position. Ohio State has some very talented youngsters in the waiting. Mangold and Sims will be missed but OSU does finally have depth on the Oline so it should not be a problem. Throw in Chris Wells and it could be really scary next year.

Aside from the trip to Texas, the schedule sets up really well. They get Michigan and PSU at home.

Overall I am fairly excited about next years team.

Unassisted
01-02-2006, 10:54 PM
I'll bet you $25,000 or whatever you want that Texas does not win the Rose Bowl tomorrow. ;)I'm at a serious disadvantage, since I haven't watched a USC game this year.

Maybe I'm just overconfident for the Longhorns' chances after getting a steady diet of news flowing down I-35 from Austin all season long? Either that or I want both of the teams that beat Ohio State to win their bowls handily, so I can feel better about those losses. ;)

I guess we'll find out tomorrow. :beerme:

RBA
01-02-2006, 10:56 PM
I'm at a serious disadvantage, since I haven't watched a USC game this year.

Maybe I'm just overconfident for the Longhorns' chances after getting a steady diet of news flowing down I-35 from Austin all season long? Either that or I want both of the teams that beat Ohio State to win their bowls handily, so I can feel better about those losses. ;)

I guess we'll find out tomorrow. :beerme:

My point is that the Rose Bowl isn't tomorrow. It's Wednesday Night. :beerme:

Unassisted
01-02-2006, 11:06 PM
My point is that the Rose Bowl isn't tomorrow. It's Wednesday Night. :beerme:Oh, that! :doh:

I'm on such a scatterbrained roll today. On another message board, someone pointed out to me that the long reply I posted was in response to a post that was made 6 months ago. Someone else had replied today and I never bothered to look at the date of the earlier post I was replying to.

I can't wait to see what the rest of the year holds. :thisyear: :runawaycr:

MWM
01-03-2006, 12:22 AM
Is A.J. Hawk the best LB in Buckeye history? I can only go back about 20 years, but in that time it's either him, Spielman, or Katzenmoyer. My vote goes to Hawk.

gonelong
01-03-2006, 01:52 AM
Spielman was incredible ... thats a tough call.

I'd go with Spielman.

GL

OnBaseMachine
01-03-2006, 06:43 AM
Ohio State played Notre Dame tougher than USC did, beating them by 14, while USC struggled to win by 3, and Notre Dame scored well against USC, I have to think that Texas might be number one when this is all over.

I thought the girl friend was trying too hard to do a Paris Hilton act with the expressions, it diminished her inner beauty to me.

USC played at Notre Dame, OSU played them on a neutral field. Big difference.

OnBaseMachine
01-03-2006, 06:46 AM
Is A.J. Hawk the best LB in Buckeye history? I can only go back about 20 years, but in that time it's either him, Spielman, or Katzenmoyer. My vote goes to Hawk.

This coming from a guy that dislikes OSU...AJ Hawk may be the best linebacker I've ever seen. Always around the ball, making tackles, HARD tackles.

registerthis
01-03-2006, 09:53 AM
Whew, whatta game. Just another reason, though, why college football needs a playoff system. I really think the Bucks could take Texas or USC right now, the way Smith, Hawk and the rest of the team are playing right now.

Still, nice to see them smack the Irish around a bit. Even if they aren't the Irish of yesteryear, it's still gratifying to beat them.

ochre
01-03-2006, 10:16 AM
I think they would need Carpenter to be able to beat either of those teams.

traderumor
01-03-2006, 10:22 AM
With Brian Simmons getting up there, the Bengals need to trade up to get Hawk. Odell in the middle, Hawk on the outside? I could live with that.

registerthis
01-03-2006, 10:49 AM
I think they would need Carpenter to be able to beat either of those teams.

I don't know, if the offense played the way it did last night.

if Smith had played the whole game against Texas earlier int he year, I do believe the Bucks would have won. Texas's offense didn't exactly stampede all over the Bucks D there.

Spring~Fields
01-03-2006, 12:27 PM

Texas has played everywhere and played well, USC played and rolled over the likes of Hawaii, Arkansas, Stanford, Arizona, Arizona St, California, Fresno St, Washington, Washington St., Notre Dame and Oregon which they should have the latter we saw dismantled by Ohio St and Oklahoma, that is a big difference too. Just like pitching neutralizes good offense in baseball a truly good defense neutralizes a very good offense in college football. I like the Texas matchup here against USC. Bush, White and Leinhart are outstanding though.

guttle11
01-03-2006, 01:19 PM

When your talking about a defense like Notre Dame's there really isn't a difference. Not to mention the month that ND had to prepare for the game. Notre Dame simply isn't that good yet. They played a weak schedule, and it showed.

Look out for them in the next few years though.

RBA
01-03-2006, 01:37 PM
Not to mention the month that ND had to prepare for the game.

And Ohio State was busy the last month doing what? :help:

OnBaseMachine
01-03-2006, 04:33 PM
Texas has played everywhere and played well, USC played and rolled over the likes of Hawaii, Arkansas, Stanford, Arizona, Arizona St, California, Fresno St, Washington, Washington St., Notre Dame and Oregon which they should have the latter we saw dismantled by Ohio St and Oklahoma, that is a big difference too. Just like pitching neutralizes good offense in baseball a truly good defense neutralizes a very good offense in college football. I like the Texas matchup here against USC. Bush, White and Leinhart are outstanding though.

Last time I checked, USC's schedule was rated higher than Texas. Don't fool youself, Texas hasn't played anybody other than OSU this year.

BTW, Oregon was playing with its third string QB vs Oklahoma. Hard to win games that way.

Just checked ESPN: USC played 5 ranked teams this year, Texas played three.

RBA
01-03-2006, 05:00 PM
Last time I checked, USC's schedule was rated higher than Texas. Don't fool youself, Texas hasn't played anybody other than OSU this year.

BTW, Oregon was playing with its third string QB vs Oklahoma. Hard to win games that way.

You would think USC would get some respect from the East Coast bias crowd, but I guess not.

Spring~Fields
01-03-2006, 05:15 PM

Ohio State played more ranked teams, considering that they are in and out of the rankings through out the season and Texas beat Ohio St. Actually Ohio State beat themselves, but Texas legitimately played them very tight.

Those ranked teams that USC played are a product of the media, not their play on the field. Redszone polls are often more accurate.;) The PAC 10 was not that good this season. Fresno St and Notre Dame gave USC all they could handle. I'll be shocked if Texas loses to USC, even Bevo has it all over Challenger. :devil:

OnBaseMachine
01-03-2006, 05:32 PM
Ohio State played more ranked teams, considering that they are in and out of the rankings through out the season and Texas beat Ohio St. Actually Ohio State beat themselves, but Texas legitimately played them very tight.

Those ranked teams that USC played are a product of the media, not their play on the field. Redszone polls are often more accurate.;) The PAC 10 was not that good this season. Fresno St and Notre Dame gave USC all they could handle. I'll be shocked if Texas loses to USC, even Bevo has it all over Challenger. :devil:

Funny that Big-10 fans want to down the Pac-10 considering the Big-10 finally picked up their first bowl win yesterday. The Big-10 was down this year. The Pac-10 is 3-1. FWIW, the Big-10 is 31-34 vs the Pac-10 in the last 5 seasons.

You would think USC would get some respect from the East Coast bias crowd, but I guess not.

Isn't that the truth? I live in the East and I can tell you that East Coast bias is alive and well. All you ever hear is how the Pac-10 sucks, USC is overrated, USC hasn't played anybody, then when its time for USC's bowl game we hear how such and such team(Iowa, Auburn, Michigan, Oklahoma) is too physical for USC. IIRC, USC crushed each and every one of those teams.

Spring~Fields
01-03-2006, 05:53 PM
Minnesota, Iowa and Michigan were on and off all season, inconsistent, for them to lose in the bowl games is not a shock. Anymore than Arizona St beating Rutgers or California beating Brigham Young. UCLA beat Northwestern, I forgot about them.

I think that when we look at how Texas played Ohio St in a victory of 25-22, then beat Oklahoma 45-12, and then stopped a good offense in Texas Tech 52-17 we have indicators that Texas is by no means a fluke and does play very well both sides of the ball. Yes, the rest of their schedule they clearly made look too easy.

MWM
01-03-2006, 06:34 PM
The Pac 10 does pretty much suck, bowl record aside. But USC is not over-rated at all, IMO. They're all that, but not as good as last year's team which is one of the best of all time.

KronoRed
01-03-2006, 06:36 PM
The Pac 10 is as bad as the ACC was during fsu's late 90's run..it actually helps the good team..they only have to get ready to play a real game 2 or 3 times a year.

OnBaseMachine
01-03-2006, 07:24 PM
I still don't see how the Pac-10 sucks when they play well during their bowls, their 4th and 5th best teams play tough against the 2nd best team in the SEC, and continually dominate BCS bowls. If USC wins tomorrow the Pac-10 will have the best BCS bowl record since the system was formed AND the Pac-10 would finish with the best bowl record this season.

This year the #5 team in the Pac-10(Arizona State) lost on a last play miracle(and what appeared to be a bad call by the refs) to the #2 team in the SEC(LSU).

UCLA crushed Oklahoma.

#5 ASU destroyed the Big-10 #4 Northwestern, 52-21.

Last year #4 Pac-10 team Oregon State lost at SEC #3 LSU because their kicker missed 3 extra points to lose the game for OSU.

2004 Season: #3 Pac-10 Arizona State beat Big-10 #4 Northwestern. A week later ASU knocked off Big-10 #1(tie with Michigan) 44-7.

2002 and 2003 USC knocked off Auburn, who some considered the preseason favorites to win the National Championship.

I also remember in 2003 #3 Pac-10 Oregon upset Big-10 #1 Michigan that year.

2002: USC beat Big-10 champs Iowa, 38-17.

2003: USC beats Big-10 champs Michigan, 28-14.

If the Pac-10 stinks then the Big-10 and Big-12 are horrible;) ...and the SEC all of a sudden doesn't look too strong with their better teams having trouble vs middle of the road Pac-10 teams.

paintmered
01-03-2006, 07:28 PM
This year the #5 team in the Pac-10(Arizona State) lost on a last play miracle(and what appeared to be a bad call by the refs) to the #2 team in the SEC(LSU).

Except LSU played Miami in the Peach Bowl this year.

edit: there's way too many bowl games to remember

OnBaseMachine
01-03-2006, 07:29 PM
Except LSU played Miami in the Holiday Bowl this year.

So does that make LSU the #3 then? I thought they were #2, my fault.

It was the Peach Bowl, IIRC.

paintmered
01-03-2006, 07:31 PM
It was the Peach Bowl, IIRC.

Yeah, I was just coming back here to correct my error. You caught it before I did.

Heath
01-03-2006, 07:31 PM
Except LSU played Miami in the Holiday Bowl this year.

Try Peach Bowl -

Its ok.....I keep forgeting Rutgers played in the Garden State Bowl...whoops...wrong highlights :D

KronoRed
01-03-2006, 07:37 PM
If the Pac-10 stinks then the Big-10 and Big-12 and horrible;)
We agree :D

GAC
01-03-2006, 08:04 PM

One of the best. But in my opinion it was Randy Gradishar.

http://gosu02.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/gradishar.jpg

Over his three year career, he was the star of a defense that allowed 20 point or more just three times in his career. A sure tackler, he amassed 320 total tackles in his 32 game career including 134 in his 1973 season. Gradishar was solid in pass coverage as well with enough range to cover anyone out of the backfield and the speed to go sideline-to-sideline. Gradishar went on to a seven time Pro Bowl NFL career with the Denver Broncos and is the all-time leading tackler in Bronco history.

Honors

* College Football Hall of Fame - 1998
* Heisman Trophy - 6th in 1973
* All-Big Ten - 1971, 1972, 1973
* All-American - 1972, 1973
* GTE/CoSIDA Academic Hall of Fame - 1992

Also on that list - Pepper Johnson, Tom Cousineau.

MWM
01-03-2006, 08:05 PM
I just don't think think looking solely at record in bowls is a good indicator of conference strength.

GAC
01-03-2006, 08:07 PM
They played a weak schedule, and it showed.

Excellent point. They only played two teams with winning records.