PDA

View Full Version : You've got to be kidding me....Reds continue to negotiate with Aurilia

Heath
01-02-2006, 11:02 PM
:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

From John Fay's "Reds Insider"

RICHIE UPDATE: O'Brien said the Reds continue to negotiate with Rich Aurilia.

"Both sides would like it resolved sooner than later," O'Brien said.

It must be resolved by Jan. 9.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060101/COL09/601010388/1071/SPT04

There has to be pictures.....somewhere...

How many more washed-up, egotistical, veteran middle infielders do we need?

Let's go sign Jeff Kent. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

(Memo to DanO - I'm kidding on Jeff Kent - really, I'm kidding)

Reds4Life
01-02-2006, 11:08 PM
I fully expect O'Brien to sign Rich. I console myself with the idea it will be the last act of O'Brien's tenure and the new owners will put timid Danny boy out of his misery.

Unassisted
01-02-2006, 11:15 PM
I guess that ends the notion that DanO offered him arbitration for the sole purpose of collecting the draft pick. Unless this is part of the charade?

CTA513
01-02-2006, 11:20 PM
The Reds should just go ahead and offer him the $15 million that he wants. ;)

:evil:

Joseph
01-02-2006, 11:21 PM
Obvisouly not

Heath
01-02-2006, 11:26 PM
DanO - No really, i'm still Kidding on Picking up Jeff Kent.....

Repeat - I made a funny. We don't need Jeff Kent.

StillFunkyB
01-02-2006, 11:45 PM
DanO - No really, i'm still Kidding on Picking up Jeff Kent.....

Repeat - I made a funny. We don't need Jeff Kent.

It really wasn't that funny. Really, now we may end up with him.

Way to go Heath! :evil:

KronoRed
01-02-2006, 11:54 PM
Probably trying to convince Rich to take the 1st base job.

LoganBuck
01-03-2006, 12:00 AM
Can he pitch?

KronoRed
01-03-2006, 12:12 AM
Can he pitch?
We don't need pitching, we need to flush cash on solid vets like Aurilia and Womack

marcshoe
01-03-2006, 01:31 AM
Maybe it was a misprint. Maybe the Reds are continuing to negotiate for Rich Aurilia. Calling other teams, saying, "hey, have I got a free agent for you!"

cincinnati chili
01-03-2006, 01:42 AM
Maybe my sarcasm or reverse psychology detector is off tonight, but are you guys really calling Jeff kent washed up?

He was the 3rd best offensive 2nd baseman in all of baseball last year (to Brian Roberts and Chase Utley) and was top 5 in baseball both of the prior 2 years.

Even if pitching is our #1 priority, we could use him.

marcshoe
01-03-2006, 01:59 AM
They may have been emphasizing the egotistical bit because, yes, Kent was excellent last year. I didn't realize that until I was looking over the numbers a couple of weeks ago. Blame the unbalanced schedule, but he was completely off my radar. For all I knew until then, he was washed up.

MrCinatit
01-03-2006, 08:42 AM
that throbbing pain which had been absent the last couple of weeks is suddenly back.
i wonder if this thread is any relation?

REDREAD
01-03-2006, 12:35 PM
I guess that ends the notion that DanO offered him arbitration for the sole purpose of collecting the draft pick. Unless this is part of the charade?

I figured all along that DanO wanted Rich back. Think about it, why would Rich agree to be offered arb and agree to turn it down if negotiations weren't ongoing? It was never about getting another draft pick. Allen doesn't want to pay for additional draft picks (Look what we did with the comp pick from not signing Sowers.. picked a bad prospect with no leverage that would sign cheap).

I know I'm in the vast minority, but I wouldn't mind having Aurillia back. He's only going to take playing time away from Womack and maybe Freel.. it's not like he'd block a hot prospect. If Encarcion can't beat out Aurillia for playing time, he doesn't deserve PT (I said the same thing about Lopez last year).

Competition for playing time is good. I don't understand the great dread if Aurillia comes back. He would give us legitimate depth (unlike Machado, etc) that we desparately need.

registerthis
01-03-2006, 12:42 PM
Signing both Aurilia AND Womack makes no sense whatsoever.

So the Reds will likely do it.

lollipopcurve
01-03-2006, 12:47 PM
It was never about getting another draft pick.

To the extent that the Reds believed that Aurilia might go to another team -- as I think he was probably hoping to do, given that O"Brien wouldn't promise him the 2B job -- I think they were protecting their interests by getting the draft pick compensation in place. Would have been nice. Instead, RA has discovered nobody else wanted him as a starter, and it also appears nobody else would offer him a utility job at a rate he deemed preferable to what he has on the table from the Reds. I get the feeling he has overvalued himself, and will come crawling back with that same chip he had on his shoulder last year.

westofyou
01-03-2006, 01:01 PM
it's not like he'd block a hot prospect. Nor is it like he improves the team defense very much at all, he provides bat on the ball skills with flashes of power. But he's slower than most and had a few leg injuries last year making his range even more questionable.

It's his role (and ability to accept it) plus salary that makes me question why he's even being considered.

If the Reds devoted as much time to other matters on the club as they seem to have devoted to Rich then I'd be able to shrug off the weekly Aurilia Updates, however I get the vibe that somehow Dan prefers to tackle the easier questions first.

StillFunkyB
01-03-2006, 01:06 PM
It makes me sick to my stomach that all we have to discuss is Rich Freakin Aurilia.

M2
01-03-2006, 01:28 PM
Well, signing Aurilia would undo what I so far consider to be DanO's finest move, so it's got its own internal sort of logic in that way.

SunDeck
01-03-2006, 01:39 PM
Probably trying to convince Rich to take the 1st base job.
DanO may still be thinking that there's a trade somewhere that will help the rotation. Richie to 1st, Adam back out to LF, Wily Mo and Williams for...name someone in his thirties with an ERA between 4.5-6.5

Heath
01-03-2006, 04:39 PM
DanO may still be thinking that there's a trade somewhere that will help the rotation. Richie to 1st, Adam back out to LF, Wily Mo and Williams for...name someone in his thirties with an ERA between 4.5-6.5

How many guesses do we get?

Brian Anderson?

KronoRed
01-03-2006, 06:02 PM
Competition for playing time is good. I don't understand the great dread if Aurillia comes back. He would give us legitimate depth (unlike Machado, etc) that we desparately need.
He'd be handed the job AGAIN, just like last year..he would steal at bats away from EE when EE needs all the playing time he can get.

No thanks.

BRM
01-03-2006, 06:04 PM
He'd be handed the job AGAIN, just like last year..he would steal at bats away from EE when EE needs all the playing time he can get.

No thanks.

This is my fear as well. He'll get handed the 3B job while Narron tells everyone RA and EE will be "competing" in spring training.

remdog
01-03-2006, 06:32 PM
I know I'm in the vast minority, but I wouldn't mind having Aurillia back. He's only going to take playing time away from Womack and maybe Freel.. it's not like he'd block a hot prospect.

Im not wanting Aruillia back for two reasons: #1) I have no reason to believe that he will contribute as much in '06 to the Reds as he did in '05----most of which was with the bat. #2)He's going to have to change his attitude and realize that he's a role player now; zip his lip and think about what he's assigned to do to improve the team. Unfortunately, nothing he's done during his time with the Reds shows that he can do that.

OTOH, if I knew that OB was going to trade for Womack and I could change it by going back in time and getting RA to sign with the Reds before they pulled the trigger on the trade, I'd do it.

Still six days to go. :eek:

Rem

M2
01-03-2006, 06:32 PM
This is my fear as well. He'll get handed the 3B job while Narron tells everyone RA and EE will be "competing" in spring training.

To quote Shatner, I can't get behind that.

KronoRed
01-03-2006, 06:35 PM
Or..EE will have a slight slump, Rich will play..hit a homer..and that will be that.

Puffy
01-03-2006, 06:49 PM
To quote Shatner, I can't get behind that.

Wouldn't this be:

I........can't.........get........behind that.

REDREAD
01-03-2006, 10:08 PM
Nor is it like he improves the team defense very much at all, he provides bat on the ball skills with flashes of power. But he's slower than most and had a few leg injuries last year making his range even more questionable.

It's his role (and ability to accept it) plus salary that makes me question why he's even being considered. .

The problem is, who do you add to the roster if Aurillia is not signed. Bergollia? Unfortunately we have no depth at all in the major or minor leagues. Thus we are forced to pick up stop gaps like Womack and Aurillia.
Aurillia isn't that bad. If he does sign, it will be at the Reds' price obviously, so why worry about the financial aspect? It's hard to tell what the Reds budget is. Reportedly they made a run for Morris. But in any event, the amount they pay Aurillia isn't going to make that much of a difference.

I'm not saying Aurillia is a difference maker. But we're a 5th place team. He makes us more respectable, even though his skills are limited. He's a good addition to this team, given the alternatives.

If the Reds devoted as much time to other matters on the club as they seem to have devoted to Rich then I'd be able to shrug off the weekly Aurilia Updates, however I get the vibe that somehow Dan prefers to tackle the easier questions first.

Now you have a point there. I'm not a big fan of DanO. A lot of the current mess is his fault. But his options are extremely limited. With no depth left, he creates a hole with every trade he makes. The Reds might be able to trade Dunn or Lopez to get a top flight pitcher.. but that's about it. Kearns/Pena aren't going to fetch much, and there's not much else on in the majors or minors that anyone really wants.

Again, I'm not defending DanO, because he's incompetent, but picking up depth in the position player area should be a priority. I don't want to see overmatched youngsters pressed into service.

REDREAD
01-03-2006, 10:10 PM

No thanks.

I don't think so. I don't recall Aurillia getting a lot of playing time at 3b after Encarcion came up. There's nothing wrong with giving Encarcion a day off once a week or so anyhow, or playing a matchup. Encarcion will get plenty of at bats, no matter what infielders are signed.

Betterread
01-03-2006, 10:20 PM
:
How many more washed-up, egotistical, veteran middle infielders do we need?

Let's go sign Jeff Kent. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

(Memo to DanO - I'm kidding on Jeff Kent - really, I'm kidding)

What's wrong with Jeff Kent? How is he washed up? He produced more runs last year than any Red? (Dunn 168 - Kent 176)

M2
01-03-2006, 10:20 PM
I'm not saying Aurillia is a difference maker. But we're a 5th place team. He makes us more respectable, even though his skills are limited. He's a good addition to this team, given the alternatives.

IMO he's meaningless. Ideally Encarnacion, Lopez and Freel play every day and Aurilia would get himself about 150 ABs tops. In fact, a glove man for the middle IF in the late innings might be of greater use. You can get yourself better PHs from the OF/1B ranks.

Most of all, I'd rather the team had the draft choice. Allowing Rich Aurilia to hook on elsewhere (and he will hook on elsewhere over the next month) means the club's turned a backup IF into a high draft pick. That's smart roster management.

KronoRed
01-03-2006, 10:23 PM
In a perfect world that's how it would be, but this is Narron and Dan O, guys who favor experience over potential, giving them the option of putting crafty vet in the lineup is a bad idea, he won't be a backup, he'll be a starter.

My worse fear is EE will slump at some point and Rich will be installed as the 3b, EE will as a result rot on the bench no matter what Rich does and we'll have toasted a prospect for nothing.

This team is going to be bad, he won't help and won't be here when this team is good, play Bergolla, play Olmedo play someone who is an unknown.

KronoRed
01-03-2006, 10:23 PM
Support for Rich is support for Allen :devil:

wheels
01-03-2006, 11:34 PM
In a perfect world that's how it would be, but this is Narron and Dan O, guys who favor experience over potential, giving them the option of putting crafty vet in the lineup is a bad idea, he won't be a backup, he'll be a starter.

My worse fear is EE will slump at some point and Rich will be installed as the 3b, EE will as a result rot on the bench no matter what Rich does and we'll have toasted a prospect for nothing.

This team is going to be bad, he won't help and won't be here when this team is good, play Bergolla, play Olmedo play someone who is an unknown.

Excellent, and scary post.

REDREAD
01-04-2006, 12:32 AM
ok, but then the solution is to get rid of DanO and Narron.

But that also has questionable value. Bergolla and Olmedo might not get better. Just because they're young doesn't mean they'll get better or ever become ML players. Assuming we had competent talent evaluators, I'd rather play a veteran than waste hundreds of at bats on a future Brandon Larson.

Support for Rich is support for Allen .

No way man!

REDREAD
01-04-2006, 12:35 AM
IMO he's meaningless. Ideally Encarnacion, Lopez and Freel play every day and Aurilia would get himself about 150 ABs tops. In fact, a glove man for the middle IF in the late innings might be of greater use. You can get yourself better PHs from the OF/1B ranks.

Most of all, I'd rather the team had the draft choice. Allowing Rich Aurilia to hook on elsewhere (and he will hook on elsewhere over the next month) means the club's turned a backup IF into a high draft pick. That's smart roster management.

I agree that a draft pick (used wisely) would be ideal. However with Allen running the show, I'm pretty confident that extra draft pick will be wasted. Last time we had an extra pick, we wasted it on Schramek, a guy that no one liked, but we picked because he was a senior and would sign for cheap.

I guess I see Freel playing a lot of time in the OF. I can agree with you that a good glove MI might be a better choice though than Aurillia. But there's still room to sign one of those even with Aurillia.

Heath
01-04-2006, 12:42 AM
What's wrong with Jeff Kent? How is he washed up? He produced more runs last year than any Red? (Dunn 168 - Kent 176)

Sorry folks, should have been more careful with my sarcasm.

Sheesh.

KronoRed
01-04-2006, 12:55 AM

Well that's not gonna happen any time soon so it's better not to even give those 2 the chance to waste a prospect.

traderumor
01-04-2006, 09:21 AM
http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060104/SPT04/601040397/1071

Aurilia could sign by Sunday deadline

By John Fay
Enquirer staff writer
Zoom AP photo
Rich Aurilia
ADVERTISEMENT

Rich Aurilia apparently will return to the Reds after all.

Aurilia's agent, Barry Axelrod, sounded optimistic Tuesday.

"I think the Reds are our most viable alternative," Axelrod said. "We've talked to some other clubs, but those have been contingent discussions."

The sides have a Sunday deadline hanging over them. If they can't work out a deal by then, Aurilia can't re-sign with the Reds until May 1.

"Both sides are trying to get it done," Reds general manager Dan O'Brien said.

Aurilia, 34, hit .282 with 14 home runs and 68 RBI in 114 games with the Reds last season. He led the club with a .343 average with runners in scoring position.

Both sides declined to exercise the option on Aurilia's contract. The Reds then offered Aurilia arbitration. He refused it Dec. 19, thereby extending to Jan. 8 the deadline to sign him

Aurilia's defensive flexibility - he can play shortstop, second base or third base - would give the Reds many options.

Aurilia's role is his main concern, and he has talked to Reds manager Jerry Narron about that.

"Jerry has talked to Rich," O'Brien said. "I don't want to speak for Jerry, but he outlined the way he intends to use the roster. It was a good conversation."

Aurilia would add to the crowd at second base. Ryan Freel and Tony Womack are already set to compete for time there.

But Aurilia also gives the Reds insurance at third. Edwin Encarnacion, 22, is slated to start there. If Encarnacion were to struggle, Aurilia could take over.:help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help:

All the problems with this team and they are going to re-sign Aurilia after giving Freel a deal. I don't think they can be stupider at this point. They will be able to make equally stupid moves from here on out, but they are clearly further along than even clueless.

RANDY IN INDY
01-04-2006, 09:43 AM
This is one of the most puzzling moves that I can think of. O'Brien is as clueless as advertised. He can't be shown the door soon enough.

lollipopcurve
01-04-2006, 09:56 AM
But Aurilia also gives the Reds insurance at third. Edwin Encarnacion, 22, is slated to start there. If Encarnacion were to struggle, Aurilia could take over.

Let's hope this is just Fay searching for a clue where there isn't one to be found. It's just too ridiculous for words.

"Jerry has talked to Rich," O'Brien said. "I don't want to speak for Jerry, but he outlined the way he intends to use the roster. It was a good conversation."

I find this quote -- one we've seen on a couple of occasions already -- to be almost humorous. How is it that the GM would not be privy to this conversation or would prefer to keep it undercover? Operation Aurilia remains in the covert stage until when?

Assuming Freel is at 2nd, the bench now seems to be comprised of Denorfia, Valentin, Womack, Aurilia, Olmedo and Cruz. If they go with 12 pitchers, one of these guys is the odd man out. Shaping up to be Womack or Olmedo, I think, and I can't believe they'd keep Womack and ditch Rey-Rey, who's 10 years younger and coming off an absolutely huge winter league season as he continues his way back from TJ surgery.

Roster looking stupid right now.

BRM
01-04-2006, 10:27 AM
But Aurilia also gives the Reds insurance at third. Edwin Encarnacion, 22, is slated to start there. If Encarnacion were to struggle, Aurilia could take over.

Here's to hoping for an amazingly fast start by EE.

Puffy
01-04-2006, 10:32 AM
Say hello to your new first basemen - Rich Aurilia

Heath
01-04-2006, 10:40 AM
I've had a rough week on baseball analysis....but here's my view (like it matters)

Aurilia could sign by Sunday deadline

Rich Aurilia apparently will return to the Reds after all.

Aurilia's agent, Barry Axelrod, sounded optimistic Tuesday.

"I think the Reds are our most viable alternative," Axelrod said. "We've talked to some other clubs, but those have been contingent discussions."

TRANSLATION - 'There aren't any other teams that want us," Axelrod said. We've made up some numbers to give to O'Brien and he's suckered in to us."

The sides have a Sunday deadline hanging over them. If they can't work out a deal by then, Aurilia can't re-sign with the Reds until May 1. :pray:

"Both sides are trying to get it done," Reds general manager Dan O'Brien said.

Dear Dan - Please check your roster for other infielders, Sincerely, RedsFans

Aurilia, 34, hit .282 with 14 home runs and 68 RBI in 114 games with the Reds last season. He led the club with a .343 average with runners in scoring position.

As much as I dislike Rich, these stats from last year were better than expected. So, expect half the production next year with the extra-value meal sized ego.

Both sides declined to exercise the option on Aurilia's contract. The Reds then offered Aurilia arbitration. He refused it Dec. 19, thereby extending to Jan. 8 the deadline to sign him

Aurilia's defensive flexibility - he can play shortstop, second base or third base - would give the Reds many options.

His flexibility is on paper only. His mind has him as an All-Star caliber SS

Aurilia's role is his main concern, and he has talked to Reds manager Jerry Narron about that.

Aurilia would add to the crowd at second base. Ryan Freel and Tony Womack are already set to compete for time there.

I'm in favor of EdE struggling. It seemed like to me at times in September, EdE made good progress. We GOT to find out what he can do. 2006 seems to that year. Signing Rich Aurilia isn't, nor will it be, the answer.

Redsland
01-04-2006, 11:04 AM
How is it that the GM would not be privy to this conversation or would prefer to keep it undercover?
He's privy to the conversation, he'd just rather Narron be the person to publicly state Aurilia's role, so that O'Brien does not appear to be dictating the lineups. (Which he was criticized for last year, but denied doing.)

registerthis
01-04-2006, 11:07 AM

No one's saying that that ISN'T part of the solution. Ridding yourself of Aurilia, DanO and Narron aren't mutually exclusive options, and doing all three would make this a better team in the long run.

But that also has questionable value. Bergolla and Olmedo might not get better. Just because they're young doesn't mean they'll get better or ever become ML players. Assuming we had competent talent evaluators, I'd rather play a veteran than waste hundreds of at bats on a future Brandon Larson.

You're looking at this from the perspective of the Reds being a perenially competitive team who are constantly active in the FA market. Well, the Reds aren't that team. The Reds are a bad ballclub without deep pockets. The only way this team can ensure competitiveness over the long term is to invest--money AND time--into younger, unproven players. We may hit a few Brandon Larson's along the way, but we'll also pick up some Felipe Lopez's.

To, as you put it, simply "play a veteran" over an unproven younger player is simply a foolish way to go about building this club. It's that mindset that has led the team to bring in the likes of Jimmy Haynes, Paul Wilson, Tony Womack and countless other low-yield veterans who serve no purpose on the club other than consuming a roster spot. Adding veterans should be the final piece of the puzzle for the Reds to build a competitive team--not the starting point. If the last ten years of this franchise has taught us nothing, it should teach us that.

Redsland
01-04-2006, 11:08 AM
I've entertained that thought, too.

FWIW, he's listed as 6'0" or 6'1" depending on your source, and has played just one game at the position (2004 witih the Padres).

BRM
01-04-2006, 11:14 AM

I suppose this could be a reality if Pena or Kearns is dealt. If that were to happen, I'd prefer to leave Dunn at 1B and play Denorfia in the OF.

Ravenlord
01-04-2006, 11:28 AM
let's see, all realistic defensive combonations:

C LaRue Valentin
1B Dunn Cruz Aurilia Valentin
2B Womack Aurilia Freel Olmedo
3B Aurila Encarnacion Freel
SS Lopez Aurilia Womack
LF Pena Freel Dunn Denorfia Womack
CF Griffey Freel Kearns Denorfia Pena
RF Kearns Pena Denorfia
say hello to the defense that might allow the Reds staff to get to 1000 runs against plataeu.

RedsBaron
01-04-2006, 11:28 AM
This is one of the most puzzling moves that I can think of. O'Brien is as clueless as advertised. He can't be shown the door soon enough.
Amen. O'Brien is the most utterly incompetent Reds GM in my lifetime. Dick Wagner may have been meaner, but even he was not as incompetent.

Ravenlord
01-04-2006, 11:30 AM
the part i most dread if this resigning is true, is listening to Grande gush every time the Reds have Aurilia and Womack up the middle

registerthis
01-04-2006, 11:38 AM
the part i most dread if this resigning is true, is listening to Grande gush every time the Reds have Aurilia and Womack up the middle

He gushes at slow ground balls that dribble into center field?

westofyou
01-04-2006, 11:41 AM
Amen. O'Brien is the most utterly incompetent Reds GM in my lifetime. Dick Wagner may have been meaner, but even he was not as incompetent.
Plus he won a ML executive of the year award as far back as 1957... he had 20 whole years to work after that before he got the job in the NL.

Now you have a point there. I'm not a big fan of DanO. A lot of the current mess is his fault. But his options are extremely limited. With no depth left, he creates a hole with every trade he makes. The Reds might be able to trade Dunn or Lopez to get a top flight pitcher.. but that's about it. Kearns/Pena aren't going to fetch much, and there's not much else on in the majors or minors that anyone really wants.

Again, I'm not defending DanO, because he's incompetent, but picking up depth in the position player area should be a priority. I don't want to see overmatched youngsters pressed into service.

Dan O'Brien is the gravediggger who fills in the dirt while he's still standing in the grave. I'd rather see overmatched glovemen take the field than the parade of old declining lies that Dan brings to the table.

Ravenlord
01-04-2006, 11:41 AM
you know it. and the first time either one makes a 'rangey' play to his left (even if a normal fielder would have been waiting on it) you'll never hear the end of how good they are. nor will you hear the end of how good they are at turning a DP.

i was watching a Pirates game yesterday. i watched Jack Wilson and Jose Castillo turn a DP. and the only thing i could think of while it was happening was: 'the Reds would have taken at least a full second longer to do that.'

savafan
01-04-2006, 11:45 AM
The Pirates played yesterday?

Ravenlord
01-04-2006, 11:55 AM
MLB tv. Pirates & Braves

savafan
01-04-2006, 12:01 PM
I know nothing about mlb tv, lol

Ravenlord
01-04-2006, 12:03 PM
I know nothing about mlb tv, lol
http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/video/mlb_tv.jsp

only drawbacks are you can't watch the game of teams in your local market or games that were broadcast nationally.

registerthis
01-04-2006, 12:07 PM

I think he means the Port-Au-Prince Pirates, of the famed Caribbean League. They're having a great year.

traderumor
01-04-2006, 12:11 PM
Something that really gets to me about actively pursuing Richie boy is that Adam Dunn and a LTC was going to finally be considered after the first of the year, but some hanger-on playing a position we already have covered who cannot even play for the Reds until May 1 is getting significant attention from the front office. In my business, it would be like interviewing 10 cleaning people and no tax preparers during December when we need a tax preparer and already have a cleaning person. It is just unfathomable to me that signing Rich Aurilia has happened, let alone received so much attention from an executive. Screwy, just screwy.

Heath
01-04-2006, 12:15 PM
I think he means the Port-Au-Prince Pirates, of the famed Caribbean League. They're having a great year.

Ah, the Pirates of the Caribbean League....nasty bunch....

Puffy
01-04-2006, 12:15 PM

Especially their ace, Jack Sparrow. He is 10-1, 2.44 ERA and 7 complete games.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-9/825505/JackSparrowPotC1_24.jpg

Redsland
01-04-2006, 12:17 PM
Yeah, but just try to get them to play a night game.

:scared:

Puffy
01-04-2006, 12:17 PM
Something that really gets to me about actively pursuing Richie boy is that Adam Dunn and a LTC was going to finally be considered after the first of the year, but some hanger-on playing a position we already have covered who cannot even play for the Reds until May 1 is getting significant attention from the front office. In my business, it would be like interviewing 10 cleaning people and no tax preparers during December when we need a tax preparer and already have a cleaning person. It is just unfathomable to me that signing Rich Aurilia has happened, let alone received so much attention from an executive. Screwy, just screwy.

While I agree with everything you said, re: prioritizing, Aurilia can play before May 1. If they sign him before the 9th then he goes to camp with the Reds.

traderumor
01-04-2006, 12:23 PM
While I agree with everything you said, re: prioritizing, Aurilia can play before May 1. If they sign him before the 9th then he goes to camp with the Reds.Doh, I thought it was refusing arbitration that kicked that in. Thanks for pointing that out. Whew, that's a relief. I thought we were going to have to make it through the dog days of April with only TWO second baseman. Our flexibility is restored.

Now, it seems like there's a guy that strikes out too much, cannot hit in the clutch nor consistently hit a sacrifice fly, and only hits solo home runs that wants to set up an appointment with DanO. Hope that his Daytimer isn't full already with the other business of baseball.

deltachi8
01-04-2006, 12:44 PM
Ah, the Pirates of the Caribbean League....nasty bunch....

I heard they have a lefty who has a nasty hook.

gonelong
01-04-2006, 01:34 PM
I heard they have a lefty who has a nasty hook.

I heard the right fielder has a cannon.

GL

Puffy
01-04-2006, 01:53 PM
I heard the right fielder has a cannon.

GL

10 punchouts already

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-8/1070272/pirate.jpg

KronoRed
01-04-2006, 05:08 PM
Here's to hoping for an amazingly fast start by EE.
Won't matter..if Rich signs the fix is in like last year with Lopez..Rich will be the 3B.

Him being at 1st is now the best case scenario.

MartyFan
01-04-2006, 05:57 PM
Won't matter..if Rich signs the fix is in like last year with Lopez..Rich will be the 3B.

Him being at 1st is now the best case scenario.

If Rich is signed look for him to be our EVERY DAY 2B...look for Freel too be packeged in a deal to get more pitching...Womack becomes the Freel-like sub.

KronoRed
01-04-2006, 06:15 PM
No way..all the comments the have made make it clear they brought Womack in to be the 2B, Rich to 3b.

BRM
01-04-2006, 06:29 PM
No way..all the comments the have made make it clear they brought Womack in to be the 2B, Rich to 3b.

Stop saying that! You're scaring the children!

MartyFan
01-04-2006, 06:29 PM

Listen, for my sanity I need this deal too come out like this, okay...I mean for the love of all that is holy if we have EE who needs to be playing every day why on earth would we not play him...the team is going nowhere right now...let the kid play!

Oh I am sick:barf: too my stomach.

KronoRed
01-04-2006, 07:01 PM
I mean for the love of all that is holy if we have EE who needs to be playing every day why on earth would we not play him...the team is going nowhere right now...let the kid play!

Because they foolishly think this team can contend :(

RFS62
01-05-2006, 05:48 PM
This makes my head hurt.

NC Reds
01-05-2006, 05:54 PM
Reasons to sign Rich:

1) Veteran
2) Hit well at home last year
3) Takes AB's away from Tony Womack

Reasons not to sign Rich:

1) Little range in field
2) Not fast on basepaths
3) Money spent on Rich could be put to better use elsewhere
4) Exhibited petulence last season over how he was used, despite playing a lot
5) Aging, best years are behind him
6) Takes AB's away from younger, speedier players
7) Can get compensatory pick if someone else signs him

Put me down for not signing him.

RedsManRick
01-05-2006, 06:00 PM
Reasons to sign Rich:

1) Veteran
2) Hit well at home last year
3) Takes AB's away from Tony Womack

Reasons not to sign Rich:

1) Little range in field
2) Not fast on basepaths
3) Money spent on Rich could be put to better use elsewhere
4) Exhibited petulence last season over how he was used, despite playing a lot
5) Aging, best years are behind him
6) Takes AB's away from younger, speedier players
7) Can get compensatory pick if someone else signs him

Put me down for not signing him.

In the first section, you forgot #4

4.) Reinforces to new management that Dan O'Brien is a moron who should be relieved of his duties.

KronoRed
01-05-2006, 06:08 PM
Stop saying that! You're scaring the children!
hehehe :devil:

RedsBaron
01-05-2006, 08:50 PM
In the first section, you forgot #4

4.) Reinforces to new management that Dan O'Brien is a moron who should be relieved of his duties.
That was already self-evident. I am truly amazed by the inepitude of the Reds front office.

westofyou
01-05-2006, 09:23 PM
That was already self-evident. I am truly amazed by the inepitude of the Reds front office.I'd say that currently its only rival in absolute loserdome in the history of the franchise has to be the waning years of the Bancroft making player decisons. At least in the depression the owner was broke, at least after the war they still drew fairly well and had Gabe Paul and Frank Lane in the wings.

1913 7th 64 89 .418 37.5
1914 8th 60 94 .390 34.5
1915 7th 71 83 .461 20
1916 T7th 60 93 .392 33.5

3 different managers in those years and the last left under a cloud of suspician.

All the while Bancroft (who was born in 1846) made the player decisions, while the Reds owner was in the hip pocket of the AL President and the NL President.

Heath
01-05-2006, 10:04 PM
I'd say that currently its only rival in absolute loserdome in the history of the franchise has to be the waning years of the Bancroft making player decisons. At least in the depression the owner was broke, at least after the war they still drew fairly well and had Gabe Paul and Frank Lane in the wings.

3 different managers in those years and the last left under a cloud of suspician.

All the while Bancroft (who was born in 1846) made the player decisions, while the Reds owner was in the hip pocket of the AL President and the NL President.

woy - as usual good points and all - but not to drag this down into a discussion of past & present Reds suckitude - wouldn't the early '50's be a better on field similarity? You look at the young sluggers (Klu, Adcock) with the "veteran leadership - read vets on downhill side of career-" like Dixie Howell & Andy Seminick - and pitchers off the scrapheap like Herm Wehmeier & Bubba Church.

I still can't picture Rogers Hornsby trying to manage.

westofyou
01-05-2006, 10:11 PM
woy - as usual good points and all - but not to drag this down into a discussion of past & present Reds suckitude - wouldn't the early '50's be a better on field similarity? You look at the young sluggers (Klu, Adcock) with the "veteran leadership - read vets on downhill side of career-" like Dixie Howell & Andy Seminick - and pitchers off the scrapheap like Herm Wehmeier & Bubba Church.

I still can't picture Rogers Hornsby trying to manage.Yes, that's a lot like it, but Paul wasn't afraid to make moves (though he made a mess of bad and good ones) The pitching was a bit better.

But as far as absolute rudderless direction the Federal League era was primed with player managers, playing were they shouldn't, choosing the roster with a guy who had managed 30 years before when the game was so very different.

Just reeks of a "Keystone Cop" movie... The Current Reds are more "Ernest in the Show"

Falls City Beer
01-05-2006, 10:17 PM
Yes, that's a lot like it, but Paul wasn't afraid to make moves (though he made a mess of bad and good ones) The pitching was a bit better.

But as far as absolute rudderless direction the Federal League era was primed with player managers, playing were they shouldn't, choosing the roster with a guy who had managed 30 years before when the game was so very different.

Just reeks of a "Keystone Cop" movie... The Current Reds are more "Ernest in the Show"

Dude, I can't give you freakin' rep for "Ernest in the Show." So I'm just going to have to praise your genius here.

Heath
01-05-2006, 10:28 PM
Yes, that's a lot like it, but Paul wasn't afraid to make moves (though he made a mess of bad and good ones) The pitching was a bit better.

When Warren Giles saw the handwriting on the wall and took off before '51 to hit the NL presidency under Frick - he new what he was really getting out of. I would admit the pitching was better in the '50's with Nuxie coming back & Ken Raffensberger was probably an underappreciated hard-luck pitcher. Ewell Blackwell was well on the way to a sore arm. But Giles still sifted through some junk pitchers like Church, Tom Acker, Wehmeier (local kid done good), etc. He did get strike bronze on an Art Fowler. But not to go Hersh Freeman on you and all, Gabe Paul was probably more like a Jim Bowden-clone.

Funny thing that Federal League. It gave us Wrigley Field & Edd Roush. Touche'.

With a labor deal looming, one would wonder if the "Federal League" would make a comeback....and survive.

I'm going to read my BE and look up 1914-1915.

membengal
01-05-2006, 10:41 PM

That first part is as it should be. But I guess there is no way after last spring that we can trust it will be that way.

Plus, what would baseball season be without Aurilia polluting the clubhouse?

westofyou
01-05-2006, 11:00 PM
When Warren Giles saw the handwriting on the wall and took off before '51 to hit the NL presidency under Frick - he new what he was really getting out of.Yeah he did, he helped cause it. in his last 3 years as GM he didn't trade more than 1 starter. But the Reds screwed the pooch when they didn't sign guys during WW2, they decided to "save" their money (A lot of Crosley's factories were working for Uncle Sam) and not sign guys going into the service, other teams like Rickey's Dodgers signed a bunch of them for peanuts, making them Dodgers property on V-J Day.

Conservative actions don't work well baseball the Reds of the Giles era were like those Bowery Boys movies, the Reds were Leo Gorcy.

http://www.oldb-movies.com/Monogram/BOWERYBOYS.jpg

Doc. Scott
01-06-2006, 01:58 PM
You know, it's very possible that DanO made a deal with Aurilius' agent to tell the public they're trying to negotiate a deal with Richus to try and drive demand for him. (Fay is just a maroon and buys it all at face value, which is why the smarter sorts in the Reds media don't publish articles about how Richus is returning.)

I'm sure most of you wouldn't find DanO capable of that, but he's capable enough at not telling people anything in interviews, too.

Anyone else want to add to my one-pretzel bet that Aurilius is NOT coming back to the Reds for 2006?

lollipopcurve
01-06-2006, 02:16 PM
Anyone else want to add to my one-pretzel bet that Aurilius is NOT coming back to the Reds for 2006?

The endgame in Operation Aurilia nears. Who can doubt that the outcome, and the intrepid machinations leading to it, will baffle and amaze even the most seasoned observer?

I'll take that pretzel bet, Doc.

M2
01-06-2006, 02:47 PM
You know, it's very possible that DanO made a deal with Aurilius' agent to tell the public they're trying to negotiate a deal with Richus to try and drive demand for him. (Fay is just a maroon and buys it all at face value, which is why the smarter sorts in the Reds media don't publish articles about how Richus is returning.)

I'm sure most of you wouldn't find DanO capable of that, but he's capable enough at not telling people anything in interviews, too.

I'll buy that DanO might be throwing Rich a bone here by acting like he's got the door open to come back. That's not so outlandish.

Hopefully that's the case. It would be nice if the thing DanO's consistent about is valuing draft picks and not collecting retreads.

WebScorpion
01-06-2006, 03:28 PM

Yea, I can see it now...

Agent: Uh, Dan if you could just give us a written offer for 3 years @ $4Mil per year we can drive the 'other' teams prices up.

Dan: Ok, but that's what you said last time. You aren't going to fool me again are you?

Agent: Quick, Rich! Sign here!

<DOH!>
:help:

Heath
01-06-2006, 04:42 PM

I'd like to think that, but the reality has set in.

I'll bet a pretzel.

Doc. Scott
01-06-2006, 04:50 PM
I'd like to think that, but the reality has set in.

I'll bet a pretzel.

Okay, well, there's three days left. What am I going to do with all these goddam pretzels? WOY, Pedro, you may have to comp me *another* beer to get all this salt through my system.

KronoRed
01-06-2006, 05:18 PM
I'll bet apple juice that Rich will be back.

I don't eat pretzels :D

BoydsOfSummer
01-07-2006, 01:28 AM

Last year I saw a ball -hit medium hard- go past Aurila,a mere two steps away,and then travel all the way to the wall,splitting Junior and Dunn for a double. A freaking ball hit to SS that goes to the wall for a double! A fairly routine play at SS and definately not a gapper worthy of a double.

They can't grow grass high enough to get away with that sort of ineptness and get away with it.

wheels
01-07-2006, 09:12 AM
I still remember that dribbler in extra innings in Houston that got by him.

That would be emarrassing, even for me.

RFS62
01-07-2006, 09:56 AM
It's always wise to suppliment our historically inept pitching with defensive statues in the field.

Good plan.

TOBTTReds
01-07-2006, 12:12 PM
It's always wise to suppliment our historically inept pitching with defensive statues in the field.

Good plan.

I agree, I couldn't care less about the bat of our 2nd basemen at this point. He is molasis in the field. I would take Ray Ray or Will Bergolla before Richard.

Ravenlord
01-07-2006, 12:24 PM
of defense.

when i was busy projecting the runs allowed for the Reds last night, i started at a base of 900 for a pitching staff featuring crappy pitchers, and most of the starting candidates being flyball pitchers. i then estimated how many runs would allowed/saved by each starter at their position if allowed to play 162 games. this only takes into account balls that plays should have been made on, not on throwing/fielding errors.

i came up with two guys who save runs. Encarnacion and LaRue. EdE will probably negate the +10 i gave him in throwing errors (not really being helped by Dunn), and i gave LaRue a +9. coulda been a 10 as well, but i couldn't do it with the passed balls and inexplicable body movements behind the plate.

Griffey was far and way the worst at allowing an extra 35 runs. overall, range accounted for, i came up with the Reds allowing an extra 78 runs before even trying to adjust for errors.

being depressed at looking at 978 runs against, i then reduced the 78 runs by 15% to account for Olmedo, Bergolla, Denorfia, ect. playing time, and Griffey and/or Kearns getting hurt. at which point i was staring at 968 runs.

i gave up and realized that if Womack and Aurilia combine for more than 500 plate appearances, the Reds the Reds would be lucky to get 780 runs and 70 wins out of the year.

gonelong
01-07-2006, 12:31 PM
I still remember that dribbler in extra innings in Houston that got by him.

That would be emarrassing, even for me.

I said it at the time and I'll say it again. Aurilla wouldn't have started at SS for most of my beer league softball teams, and I'm not kidding, not one bit.

GL

pedro
01-07-2006, 02:51 PM
I said it at the time and I'll say it again. Aurilla wouldn't have started at SS for most of my beer league softball teams, and I'm not kidding, not one bit.

GL

Come to think of it, he wouldn't have started for mine either. The 19 year old kid we had playing there had *sick* range and arm.

RFS62
01-07-2006, 03:41 PM
Hey Pedro and GL, I'm sure you guys are killer softball players, but come on, let's not get carried away here.

Redsland
01-07-2006, 04:27 PM
Slow progress on Aurilia's return (http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060107/SPT05/601070376/1027)
By Marc Lancaster

Rich Aurilia probably will be a Red again by the end of the weekend, but Friday passed with no resolution on the free agent's status.

"At midnight on Sunday it'll be concluded one way or the other," Reds general manager Dan O'Brien said. "All I can tell you is we're working at it and it's been a slower process than anticipated."

Like it or not, the process will end by Sunday's Major League Baseball deadline for free agents offered salary arbitration by their former clubs to re-sign. Indications are Aurilia will do so, but his agent, Barry Axelrod, said the veteran infielder isn't completely sold on what the Reds are offering - in contract terms and playing time.

"We think they're undervaluing his services - or, undervaluing what we thought was a pretty solid performance last year," Axelrod said Friday evening. "We still have a little concern about how this all works with (Tony) Womack being there. They have told us that Richie wouldn't be impacted by Womack's presence, but I'm not sure how he wouldn't be. Tony plays second base, and with (Felipe) Lopez playing short and (Edwin) Encarnacion at third, the more likely position for Richie to have been playing was second. With Womack there, it would seem like that would at least impact some time."

Axelrod said Aurilia has spoken with Reds manager Jerry Narron about how playing time might be divvied up, and all parties involved understand that Aurilia will not be penciled in as the everyday second baseman if he signs. He probably would get the majority of playing time at the position, but also could see some time on the left side of the infield as Narron works Womack and Ryan Freel into the lineup at second.

The compensation issue is another matter. Shortly after the World Series, Aurilia and the Reds mutually agreed to decline an option for 2006 that would have paid him $2 million. If he does return to Cincinnati, it likely won't be for significantly more than that figure. Aurilia doesn't have much leverage on that front, as his time on the open market hasn't generated the kind of offers he hoped for.

"I'm a little surprised that there's not more interest," said Axelrod. "You see guys like (Jose) Vizcaino sign, and Junior Spivey, and Richie just blows them away statistically."

Vizcaino, who hit .246 with one home run and 23 RBIs in 98 games for the Astros this year, signed with San Francisco for $1.25 million. Spivey, who hit .232 with seven homers and 24 RBIs in 77 games between Milwaukee and Washington, signed with St. Louis for $1.2 million.

Aurilia hit .282 with 14 homers and 68 RBIs in 114 games with the Reds, so Axelrod's point is well taken. But his phone hasn't been ringing, and that likely will bring Aurilia back to Cincinnati.

"I think there's probably a real good chance something will happen there," said Axelrod. "He did well there last year."
I'm pretty sure that having Dan Freaking O'Brien comment that something is happening slowly is one of the signs of the apocalypse.

:eek:

Heath
01-07-2006, 04:37 PM
I'm pretty sure that having Dan Freaking O'Brien comment that something is happening slowly is one of the signs of the apocalypse.

:eek:

Maybe they are waiting for pictures to develop. :rolleyes:

Maybe DanO got something right - offered a p/t role 1 yr at 1.5mill.

Redsland
01-07-2006, 04:49 PM
"Axelrod is slow." - Dan O'Brien

"Anna Nichole is a *****." - Paris Hilton

"Lava is hot." - The Sun

pedro
01-07-2006, 05:00 PM
Hey Pedro and GL, I'm sure you guys are killer softball players, but come on, let's not get carried away here.

I'm not that good a player, but the guy who played SS on our sofball team plays college ball and honestly had more range at SS than RA could have. It's just a matter of youth and speed and when the rest of your team isn't that good you need a short stop who can make catches on fly balls to the outfield. Now, I'm sure RA would outhit the guy, that's a no brainer, but I just don't see how RA could have more range as he's just so slow.

creek14
01-07-2006, 07:05 PM
I'm not that good a player, but the guy who played SS on our sofball team plays college ball and honestly had more range at SS than RA could have. It's just a matter of youth and speed and when the rest of your team isn't that good you need a short stop who can make catches on fly balls to the outfield. Now, I'm sure RA would outhit the guy, that's a no brainer, but I just don't see how RA could have more range as he's just so slow.
Yeah all that's great, but did your guy have that veteran leadership thing going like RA does?

Now that wins games!!

Chip R
01-07-2006, 08:14 PM
Last year I saw a ball -hit medium hard- go past Aurila,a mere two steps away,and then travel all the way to the wall,splitting Junior and Dunn for a double. A freaking ball hit to SS that goes to the wall for a double! A fairly routine play at SS and definately not a gapper worthy of a double.

They can't grow grass high enough to get away with that sort of ineptness and get away with it.

Not defending Aurilia here but if it were a medium-hard hit ball and the SS couldn't get it, you'd have to have two statues in the OF for that ball to get to the wall. Dunn is no gazelle out there but he runs fairly decent and Jr. may have still been on the mend from his surgery but if it's a medium-hard hit ball that got past the SS, I would think it would slow up enough for Jr. to get to it. If the ball was hit as hard as you say it was, by all means it was Aurilia's fault that he didn't get to it but that's only a single. If the OFers let that ball get to the wall it's their fault.

gonelong
01-08-2006, 12:50 AM

Hey, I never said we wouldn't have let the big guy hit ... we just had a more range guy as SS. :)

GL

pedro
01-08-2006, 01:00 AM
I'd like to go on record as saying that if the Reds didn't trade for Womack and if Rich Aurilia was a "team first" kind of guy who didn't talk smack to the media, I'd probably want him back, as a utility guy.

But if the plan is for him to get more than 200 ab's I'd have to say no.

Unassisted
01-08-2006, 01:11 AM
MLB.com seems to think the Aurilia is the most important of the 5 unsigned "declined arbitration" guys, since his photo is featured atop the article about the topic on every teams' web site. He must be more important than Eduardo Perez, Alex S. Gonzalez, Jeff Weaver, and Pedro Astacio. ;)

http://washington.nationals.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060106&content_id=1292426&vkey=hotstove2005&fext=.jsp

BoydsOfSummer
01-08-2006, 01:29 AM
Not defending Aurilia here but if it were a medium-hard hit ball and the SS couldn't get it, you'd have to have two statues in the OF for that ball to get to the wall. Dunn is no gazelle out there but he runs fairly decent and Jr. may have still been on the mend from his surgery but if it's a medium-hard hit ball that got past the SS, I would think it would slow up enough for Jr. to get to it. If the ball was hit as hard as you say it was, by all means it was Aurilia's fault that he didn't get to it but that's only a single. If the OFers let that ball get to the wall it's their fault.

Oh,I was including Junior and Dunn in the rant. I wasn't clear on that, but yeah, their defensive suckitude was meant to be included. The team's deficiency on defense was summed up in that one play.

Marty and Joe
01-08-2006, 10:40 AM
If RA signs a 1-year deal for 1.5-2.0 million...
If he realizes that he's not guaranteed a full-time position and may end up playing all over the infield in a backup role...
If he doesn't pipe off about playing time, the negotiations, etc...
If signing him doesn't lead to OB thinking that his signing somehow makes Kearns or Pena more available to trade...

Then, I'd be fine with signing RA. He'd be an asset in the right role(s).

There are a lot of 'ifs' there. ;)

RFS62
01-08-2006, 10:53 AM
If he realizes that he's not guaranteed a full-time position and may end up playing all over the infield in a backup role...
If signing him doesn't lead to OB thinking that his signing somehow makes Kearns or Pena more available to trade...

Yep, I agree with this completely. I have no faith, however, that he won't be constantly yapping about playing time.

Me, me, me. That's what I heard from him last year.

NC Reds
01-08-2006, 11:14 AM
It amazes me that DanO is negotiating with someone who, by his agent's own admission, has drawn scant interest from other MLB teams. Make an offer and leave it at that.

DanO should be talking to Dunn's agent.

creek14
01-08-2006, 11:18 AM
DanO should be talking to Dunn's agent.
I'd rather have the new GM talking to Dunn's agent. :)

Heath
01-08-2006, 11:23 AM
I'd rather have the new GM talking to Dunn's agent. :)

I'd rather have Creek talking to Dunn's agent.

THAT will keep him in Cincy ;)

Krusty
01-08-2006, 11:24 AM
I don't think I ever have seen a GM slower than making a baseball decision (regardless of the magnitude) than Dan O'Brien.

Heath
01-08-2006, 11:28 AM

If "if & buts" were candy & nuts - we'd all have a Merry Christmas.

No, what's going to happen is this .

RA signs 1 yr 2.5 million
He is not in the Opening Day lineup.
EdE goes 2-40 in the first part of the season.
RA whines about sitting while EdE goes through his learning curve even though Womack goes 1-37. (veteran leadership sticks together.)
Kearns is traded to the Cubs for some AA pitching hack.
EdE gets sent to Louisville - RA assumes 3B. Goes 2-21. Complains that the earlier "benching" is causing him to be rusty.
RA feasts on crappy September pitching to hit .280 again.
Reds lose 95.
RedsZoners pull this thread up again in December of 2006.

StillFunkyB
01-08-2006, 01:54 PM

RA whines about sitting while EdE goes through his learning curve even though Womack goes 1-37. (veteran leadership sticks together.)
EdE gets sent to Louisville - RA assumes 3B. Goes 2-21. Complains that the earlier "benching" is causing him to be rusty.
Reds lose 95.

That's scary, very scary. Reason is because it's probably going to turn out to be true.

Heath
01-08-2006, 02:36 PM
That's scary, very scary. Reason is because it's probably going to turn out to be true.

Don't dock me rep points ;)

Jpup
01-08-2006, 03:35 PM
9 1/2 hours from the deadline, no news yet. hopefully the day goes by without some kind of news.

westofyou
01-08-2006, 04:34 PM
9 1/2 hours from the deadline, no news yet. hopefully the day goes by without some kind of news.Here's your news.. and the reason RA now will be signed.

Reds infielder Ryan Freel was arrested early this morning in Tampa and charged with one count of disorderly intoxication, according to a booking report from the Hillsborough County jail.

RFS62
01-08-2006, 04:37 PM
Here's your news.. and the reason RA now will be signed.

Hmmm, I wonder if Rich sent Ryan a case of Jack Daniels last week.

Redsland
01-08-2006, 04:57 PM
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.

;)

KronoRed
01-08-2006, 05:28 PM

But none of that will happen, if he signs he will be give a job..just like last year.

BoydsOfSummer
01-08-2006, 05:53 PM

I'll bet the under on the base hit. That trade is still giving me chest pains and he hasn't even used up his first of 400 outs yet.

membengal
01-09-2006, 07:54 AM

Reds lose 95.

Very VERY plausible, and...in that scenario, the Reds would be lucky to lose just 95.