PDA

View Full Version : "Futurama" back from the dead

savafan
01-04-2006, 09:51 AM
http://www.nypost.com/entertainment/59814.htm

By DON KAPLAN

January 4, 2006 -- 'FUTURAMA" may take a page from "Family Guy" and come back from the dead.

The animated show from "The Simpsons" creator Matt Groening was canceled two years ago, but strong DVD sales seem to have prompted a direct-to-video movie, slated for 2007.

"Three months ago, I would have said we were going to start tomorrow," writer David X. Cohen, who collaborated with Groening on "Futurama," told the Sydney Morning Herald. "And one month ago, I would also have said we were going to start tomorrow. So, my current estimate is that we're starting tomorrow."

It had been believed that the show might return with new episodes on TV, but as of yesterday, the Internet Movie Database had listed the new "Futurama" project as in production and slated for a July 2007 release.

Officials at Fox the studio that produced the show and in all likelihood, the new movie could not be reached for comment.

"Futurama" followed the adventures of Philip J. Fry (Billy West) who is accidentally frozen in a cryogenic facility and revived in 2999. While the show has a cult following on the Cartoon Network's Adult Swim, when it was on Fox, it never found an audience.

Redsland
01-04-2006, 10:33 AM
Kif, I have made it with a woman. Inform the men.

Yeah, well... I'm gonna go build my own theme park, with blackjack and hookers. In fact, forget the park!

Ahhh, what an awful dream. Ones and zeroes everywhere... and I thought I saw a two.

Leela, save me. And yourself I guess... and my banjo... and Fry.

You just have to give guys a chance. Sometimes you meet a guy and think he's a pig, but then later on you realize he actually has a really good body.

Man, I thought Ultimate Robot Fighting was real, like pro wrestling, but it turns out it's fixed, like boxing.

I'm never gonna get used to the 31st century. Caffineated bacon? Baconated grapefruit? ADMIRAL Crunch?

Joseph
01-04-2006, 11:21 AM
Huge fan of the show. Watch it on Adult Swim most every night and I'd love to see new episodes and the movie, but I'll take whatever I can get.

MrCinatit
01-04-2006, 11:32 AM
i'm a huge fan of the show, as well. i thought it was just starting to really hit its creative stride when it got cancelled.

Johnny Footstool
01-04-2006, 12:44 PM
i'm a huge fan of the show, as well. i thought it was just starting to really hit its creative stride when it got cancelled.

I think that's par for the course at Fox.

I wonder how much longer "Arrested Development" will be on the air?

Joseph
01-04-2006, 12:45 PM
If that wasn't intended sarcasm, I'm fairly sure it's been recently pulled.

savafan
01-04-2006, 12:58 PM

It was, but if I heard correctly, I think HBO is in talks to pick it up.

Puffy
01-04-2006, 01:18 PM
It was, but if I heard correctly, I think HBO is in talks to pick it up.

Then I hope they're adding swearing. Swearing makes shows so much more real.

Caveat Emperor
01-04-2006, 02:17 PM
"But you forgot one thing... Rock crushes scissors! But... paper covers rock... and scissors cut paper... Kif, we have a conundrum. Search them for paper! And bring me a rock."

"Leela is experiencing the greatest joy a woman can feel: worshipping some low-life jerk."

I really hope this show comes back!

deltachi8
01-04-2006, 02:25 PM
Then I hope they're adding swearing. Swearing makes shows so much more real.

I believe its showtime, but who knows.

I'd rather it be HBO, then I will subscribe finally to have that and the Sopranos would be worth it. (Although I get the Sopranso for free on CTV, just a year after the fact)

Johnny Footstool
01-04-2006, 02:40 PM

I had heard rumors, but I didn't know they had actually cancelled the show.

Funny how it failed only after they moved it to Monday night...

rdiersin
01-04-2006, 02:45 PM
I had heard rumors, but I didn't know they had actually cancelled the show.

Funny how it failed only after they moved it to Monday night...

I thought it was funny how this past Monday's show they had Andy Richter on Arrested Development. That's two of my favorite shows Fox has jerked around and then pulled the plug on. Thanks Fox.

KronoRed
01-04-2006, 04:17 PM
Good News Everyone
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/4/4e/Farnsworth.png/180px-Farnsworth.png

KronoRed
01-04-2006, 04:18 PM
Shame the Simpsons lives on in suckyness while Futurama got the can.

Danny Serafini
01-04-2006, 04:36 PM
Arrested Development is a show I just don't get. Not only do I not find it the least bit funny, it's freaking horrible! I can't force myself to sit through an episode. Yet I keep hearing how all the critics love it. What is it about the show that makes anyone a fan?

Puffy
01-04-2006, 04:50 PM
Shame the Simpsons lives on in suckyness while Futurama got the can.

The Simpsons is still genius, although not as great as in its heyday.

Futurama is not funny, IMO. There are hundreds of programs I would watch before this.

KronoRed
01-04-2006, 04:50 PM
We disagree

Puffy
01-04-2006, 04:51 PM
I thought it was funny how this past Monday's show they had Andy Richter on Arrested Development. That's two of my favorite shows Fox has jerked around and then pulled the plug on. Thanks Fox.

Word.

Not to mention "The Tick" which I really, really enjoyed.

RBA
01-04-2006, 04:53 PM
Arrested Development is a show I just don't get. Not only do I not find it the least bit funny, it's freaking horrible! I can't force myself to sit through an episode. Yet I keep hearing how all the critics love it. What is it about the show that makes anyone a fan?

I will second that. And I'm an authority of what's funny or not. :p:

WVRed
01-04-2006, 04:56 PM
Wonder if/when Fox will cancel "The OC"?;)

RBA
01-04-2006, 05:07 PM
Will "Get a Life" make a comeback? :D

Johnny Footstool
01-04-2006, 05:07 PM

The cleverness of the dialogue. The absurdity of the storylines. The fact that it's original and funny without simply referencing pop culture (like The Simpsons and Family Guy often do).

marcshoe
01-04-2006, 09:23 PM
In spite of all that has come before, with this announcement, I am now having a good day. Thank you. :cool:

RFS62
01-04-2006, 09:48 PM
The cleverness of the dialogue. The absurdity of the storylines. The fact that it's original and funny without simply referencing pop culture (like The Simpsons and Family Guy often do).

Plus a great cast. I love that show.

savafan
01-04-2006, 11:14 PM

You just described "The Office" for me.

Caveat Emperor
01-05-2006, 01:10 AM

The absurdity is an absolute turn-off for me. I gave it a chance, and it seems like it's zany for the sake of being zany at times.

People roast ordinary sitcoms (and rightly so) for stupid and contrived situations that apparently lead to humor -- yet this show is lauded because it takes it 15 steps further and has a dude wearing a hook because his hand was bitten off by a seal?

I simply do not get Arrested Development. I'm told it's a lot better if you sit and watch it from the first episode onward, since there are so many self-referencing jokes that carry onward throughout the show. I might give it a try on DVD, but from what I've seen, it's marginally amusing at best.

Not NEARLY as funny as Rescue Me gets.

savafan
01-05-2006, 02:05 AM
Not NEARLY as funny as Rescue Me gets.

Man, Rescue Me is just a great show all around whether from a comedic angle or a dramatic angle.

Redsland
01-05-2006, 10:24 AM
Another vote for "I don't get Arrested Development."

deltachi8
01-05-2006, 10:43 AM
As much as I pick on Fox for some of the crud they peddle, they have aired some of my favorites, Arrested Development, Simpsons, Get A Life and The Andy Richter Show just for a few.

Problem is they cancel most of the worth while material and leave Stacked to succeed.

deltachi8
01-05-2006, 11:16 AM
Will "Get a Life" make a comeback? :D

Spell "Pants"

"K..."

bucksfan
01-05-2006, 01:22 PM
"Bender cracked corn, and he don't care.... Take that you stupid corn!"

That show cracks me up.

LoganBuck
01-05-2006, 01:27 PM
Maybe they should bring back "Herman's Head".

KronoRed
01-05-2006, 04:54 PM
Maybe they should bring back "Herman's Head".
I loved that show :help:

marcshoe
01-05-2006, 07:40 PM
I loved that show :help:
Over on that other thread, I said that you should never be ashamed of admitting that you liked a band at one point, because your tastes were what they were at the time, and Rock N' Roll isn't about critical acceptance, so in the end, there is no shame.

Sorry, but that doesn't go for television shows. You Should be ashamed of this. :D