PDA

View Full Version : Marcus Vick dismissed from VT Football Team

Red Leader
01-06-2006, 05:26 PM
RICHMOND, Va. -- The president of Virginia Tech said Friday that quarterback Marcus Vick has been permanently dismissed from the football team.

University president Charles Steger announced the dismissal on the same day that coach Frank Beamer met with Vick and his mother in their Hampton Roads home, the school said. Beamer informed them of the decision during the meeting.

The junior quarterback stomped on Elvis Dumervil's leg after the Louisville defensive end tackled Vick on Monday during the first half of the Toyota Gator Bowl.

He also faces charges of speeding and driving on a suspended driver's license, Cpl. James West said Friday. Police stopped Vick in Hampton on Dec. 17, and he was charged with driving 38 mph in a 25 mph zone, the police spokesman said.

Virginia Tech had suspended him for all of the 2004 season because of legal troubles. At the time, Steger said if Vick faced additional off-field troubles, "his Virginia Tech career is effectively ended."

Vick was not penalized for the Dumervil incident but was rebuked at halftime of the Gator Bowl by quarterbacks coach Kevin Rogers, who said he even considered pulling Vick from the lineup.

Vick said later it was "an accidental play, and football is football." He also said he had apologized to Dumervil. Dumervil said no apology had been offered.

"A no-character individual," Dumervil said after the game.

Marcus Vick, eluding a Louisville defender in the Gator Bowl, stepped on the leg of another Cardinal player who tackled him in the first half.
Vick threw two touchdown passes and led a 22-point, fourth-quarter rally for the No. 12 Hokies, who beat the No. 15 Cardinals 35-24.

Rogers, who has mentored Vick in his on-field and off-field behavior, was livid with his quarterback, chewing him out at halftime, and after the game.

"There's no reason for that in the game," Rogers said. "It's flat-out embarrassing. I don't coach that way, and I don't expect him to play that way."

The incident is the latest trouble for Vick since he elected to follow his brother, Atlanta Falcons quarterback Michael Vick, to Virginia Tech. The elder Vick led the Hokies to the 1999 national championship game and was the first pick of the 2001 draft.

Marcus Vick played in 11 games as a backup in his freshman year, then was suspended from school last season after he was arrested, along with teammates Mike Imoh and Brenden Hill, for giving alcohol to 14- and 15-year-old girls. He pleaded no contest to a misdemeanor charge.

The younger Vick also later pleaded guilty to reckless driving and no contest to marijuana possession after a police stop in July 2004.

KronoRed
01-06-2006, 05:28 PM
Sad when kids with that much talent flush it.

creek14
01-06-2006, 05:32 PM
Sounds like Maurice Clarett lite.

savafan
01-06-2006, 05:34 PM
Marcus Vick, Todd Marinovich, Maurice Clarett...the missed potential team.

WVRed
01-06-2006, 06:51 PM
I've got to admit, I was kinda suprised VT threw him off the team, although he deserved it.

He has the mindset of "My brother put this football program on the map, so I'm going to do whatever I want". I'm sure now we will be hearing a damage control apology.

I'm betting he declares for the NFL Draft and doesnt get taken. Any takers?

Caveat Emperor
01-06-2006, 07:03 PM
I'm betting he declares for the NFL Draft and doesnt get taken. Any takers?

Mike Shanahan thought he could turn Clarett into an NFL running back and despite his poor attitude, poor work ethic at the combine, and poor physical shape, drafted him with a 3rd round pick. Some NFL coordinator or coach will undoubetdly fall into the same trap with Marcus Vick. They'll see miles of potential and will, at the very least, spend a late round pick to pick him up.

As far as Virginia Tech goes, I applaud them for making the right move and dismissing him from the team. Playing college football is a privilege, not a right.

captainmorgan07
01-06-2006, 07:06 PM
yup they will u all are right major waste of talent to many head problems and to many on and off the field issuses like flicking off the crowd at wvu,stepping on dumbervil's knee that shows no class

RedsBaron
01-06-2006, 09:08 PM
I wonder if Drew Rosenhaus has contacted Marcus Vick to be his agent.

Blimpie
01-06-2006, 11:48 PM
Frank Beamer looks like a complete tool right about now. After the bowl game, he didn't even have the stones to comment on Vick's behavior that night--much less condemn him for his actions.

Instead, it was the Virginia Tech assistant coach (I can't recall if he was the QB Coach or the Offensive Coordinator) who had to do all of the heavy lifting for the media. The assistant was the one who had to call Vick out while Beamer said nothing.

Now, Vick is gonzo and it is apparent that Beamer has lost his juice from within the athletic department. He should be ashamed of himself for trying to walk the straight and narrow on such an obvious breach of sportsmanship...

Unassisted
01-07-2006, 12:39 AM
I'm betting he declares for the NFL Draft and doesnt get taken. Any takers?I'd take that, because I think he declares and gets taken in a low round. With a small contract, the team that drafts him can afford to let him sit for a couple of years and learn how to be professional.

RANDY IN INDY
01-07-2006, 04:29 PM
I'd be surprised if he ever learns to be a professional.

pedro
01-07-2006, 04:32 PM
I bet he'll get drafted but towards the end of the draft. Someone will take a flyer on him.

pedro
01-07-2006, 04:54 PM
he declared.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/football/ncaa/01/07/bc.fbc.marcusvick.pro.ap/index.html?cnn=yes

WMR
01-07-2006, 06:20 PM
Chris Mortensen predicted a 4th round pick; I could buy that.

RedsBaron
01-07-2006, 06:38 PM
I could see him in a Raiders jersey.

RFS62
01-07-2006, 08:28 PM

I can see him in an orange jumpsuit.

Sean_CaseyRules
01-07-2006, 11:50 PM
Although im against what he did, he still was a good QB and after Nick Saban took "Pretty Ricky" back, im thinking that my 'Phins may have a Vick on the team, that's if they don't get Jay Cutler from Vandy! He is a very good QB, but playing for Vanderbilt will make just about anyone look horrible, but his numbers were good.

WMR
01-08-2006, 01:17 AM
Personally, I think Marcus Vick is the real deal and will end up a very successful QB in the NFL. He's not quite as athletic as his brother, but he's a much superior passer.

I think he'll get his head screwed on straight and have a successful career.

dsmith421
01-08-2006, 03:04 AM
Cutler is an outstanding talent and will make a fine NFL quarterback. There is no need to apologize for Vanderbilt, they, with one glaring exception (Mitsu) had a fine season, including a win at Neyland Stadium.

Revering4Blue
01-08-2006, 05:18 AM
Personally, I think Marcus Vick is the real deal and will end up a very successful QB in the NFL. He's not quite as athletic as his brother, but he's a much superior passer.

I agree. By all accounts, he is every bit as athletic as his brother; just is more comfortable in the pocket.

With Omar Jacobs' draft declaration, with more(Brady Quinn, Vince Young) likely to follow suit because of the expiring CBA--The new CBA will more than likely reduce the signing bonuses for rookies-- this may be a deep draft for QBs.

It remains to be seen if half of them turn out to be busts as in 99--Couch, Akili Smith, Cade McDown etc.. That class was supposed to rival the Marino, Kelly, Elway class of '83. And we all know how that played out.

GAC
01-08-2006, 05:25 AM

Marcus Vick's stats may look good, but when it comes to intangibles, he comes up very short. The Virginia Tech quarterback and Warwick High School grad's skills may be undeniable, but his judgment and self-control are downright questionable. His character falls far short of his athletic ability.

In 2004, he was convicted of contributing to the delinquency of a minor (for an incident involving alcohol and 14 and 15 year old girls) (maybe he'll get drafted by the Vikes?). A few months later he pleaded guilty to reckless driving and no contest to possession of marijuana. By August, his record was so troublesome he was suspended not just from the team but from the university. He returned for the 2005 season, only to mess up again, making an obscene gesture during a nationally televised game.

After VT readmitted Marcus after he was arrested for, um, befriending, underage girls and various other criminal charges, the university set a “no tolerance” policy for any future indiscretions. Well, he was arrested on December 17th for speeding and driving with a suspended license near his hometown of Newport News, Va. The Gator Bowl was January 2nd. I guess I missed the part where they said it was “no tolerance” unless there’s a big bowl game coming up.

And then he lies afer the Gator Bowl incident, inwhich film shows him stompling Dumervil's (the NCAA sacks leader) leg by saying he apologized. He didn't.

VT didn't dismiss this kid for an isolated incident, but for a consistent pattern of behavior.

Lawrence Phillips anyone?

Is he redeemable? Possibly. But it begins with him. When is he gonna start? When he gets to the NFL? You need to demonstrate those tangibles before going to the NFL. Or else you gonna find yourself in the position he is now (a low draft pick).

He might change his tune when this time next year he’s in Frankfurt trying to beat out Akili Smith for the right to hold the clipboard for Galaxy QB Kevin Eakin. :lol:

RedsBaron
01-08-2006, 07:50 AM
:laugh: Hey, he wouldn't be the first football player to wear both a black Raiders jersey and an orange jumpsuit. Do you remember Warren Wells?

deltachi8
01-08-2006, 02:41 PM

with "Rob Mexico" on the back.

Caveat Emperor
01-08-2006, 03:27 PM
With Omar Jacobs' draft declaration, with more(Brady Quinn, Vince Young) likely to follow suit because of the expiring CBA--The new CBA will more than likely reduce the signing bonuses for rookies-- this may be a deep draft for QBs.

I expect Vince Young to come out (and I'm not at all sold on him being anything special on Sundays), but my gut tells me that Brady Quinn will be back for another year under Charlie Weiss and a Heisman run.

If he has a season next year like the one he had this year, he'll be a consensus top-5 pick, IMO.

OnBaseMachine
01-09-2006, 04:23 PM
And now the thug has been arrested again...this time on a gun charge.

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/10777702/

RedsBaron
01-09-2006, 04:47 PM
Coming soon to a theater near you: "The Longest Yard, Part II," starring Marcus Vick. Special guest stars: O.J. Simpson and the Minnesota Vikings. Special guest appearance: Jeff Reardon.

bucksfan
01-09-2006, 06:19 PM
I wouldn't even take a chance on him given his position. The QB just has to be somewhat of a leader and execute judgement. Vick just seems to lack that ability. But definitely seems to be taking same pathetic path as Clarett. Many of the things either one has done are inexcusable at this point.

RFS62
01-09-2006, 07:57 PM

*ahem*

OnBaseMachine
01-09-2006, 08:21 PM
Vick hiding after pulling a weapon on a teenager at McDonalds...

http://home.comcast.net/~salawson/play.jpg

GAC
01-09-2006, 08:45 PM
Well - no one can't say Vick doesn't have balls. ;)

WVRed
01-09-2006, 08:58 PM
I wouldn't even take a chance on him given his position. The QB just has to be somewhat of a leader and execute judgement. Vick just seems to lack that ability. But definitely seems to be taking same pathetic path as Clarett. Many of the things either one has done are inexcusable at this point.

Agreed.

Before this, I would have said he would have been a second day pick. Now, I think he is out of the draft barring a miracle.

paintmered
01-09-2006, 09:27 PM
He made his bed, he gets to sleep in it now.

Good luck with your life Marcus, it just got much harder.

captainmorgan07
01-09-2006, 09:42 PM
somebody just throw the kid and jail to teach him a lesson cause obviously his own brother can't get it threw his thick skull

Crash Davis
01-09-2006, 11:40 PM
He has some measurables...

Look at the sense of entitlement on that kid. Haven't seen one that size since Maurice Clarett.

Went from 2nd rounder to out of the draft in one week. Brilliant!

cumberlandreds
01-10-2006, 09:50 AM
What do you think about Atlanta taking him and letting big brother be a mentor? I think that's possible but not likely.

KronoRed
01-10-2006, 10:51 AM
What do you think about Atlanta taking him and letting big brother be a mentor? I think that's possible but not likely.
At this point you have to wonder if even his Brother wants him around.

savafan
01-10-2006, 11:02 AM
I know this doesn't look good, but remember we do still have the system of innocent until proven guilty in a court of law in place in this country.

deltachi8
01-10-2006, 02:21 PM
I know this doesn't look good, but remember we do still have the system of innocent until proven guilty in a court of law in place in this country.

Your right, but i think the damage is done to him already professionally speaking. I think he may end up in the AFL for a year, but some one eventually will give him a chance (i was going to say Canada but i think that will depend upon his gun charge).

Then again, after reading Pros and Cons, he may end up being drafted afterall.

Revering4Blue
02-28-2006, 02:51 AM
http://www.sportingnews.com/experts/matt-hayes/blog/

Marcus Vick will go higher than you think
Thursday, February 23, 2006, 4:17 p.m. ET

An agent friend of mine called the other day and told me something that will be disturbing for most, yet revealing at the same time.

Marcus Vick is going to be picked a lot higher than you think in April's NFL draft.

Vick currently is working out with noted trainer Chip Smith of Competitive Edge Sports in Atlanta. And Vick is absolutely killing there. His 40 time has dipped into the low 4.3s and high 4.2s, while trainers at CES say he's showing uncanny explosion and redirection in various drills. Now he's at the NFL Combine in Indianapolis, and pretty soon you'll be hearing about Vick's ridiculous numbers (the Wonderlic, notwithstanding).

So what does it all mean?

Look, I said last season that Marcus was a better quarterback than his brother, and I was called an idiot by just about everyone (including my editor). But I'm telling you right now, Marcus Vick is a steal if someone can set him straight. And you better believe someone in the NFL will try.

Don't even bring up the Maurice Clarett saga. They're similar in one way only: They're both turds. At least at this point.

Clarett showed up at the NFL Combine out of shape and with a surly attitude. He ran a 7.32 40 (I kid; but that fark photo of Clarett finishing behind the old man was an absolute classic) and completely turned off NFL execs with his standoffish personality.

Vick will be different. Scouts will rave about his pure athletic ability after he works out. And he'll be contrite (trust me, he's good at it; he fooled me in April, 2005). The only question then becomes: can he hold it together mentally?

Any player who knows he's in the spotlight, who knows everyone is watching his every move, and still pulls a gun on teenagers at a fast food joint, is missing more than a few cards from his deck. If the Vikings weren't still staving off the Good Ship Lollypop P.R. fiasco, I'd say Minnesota is the perfect spot for Vick -- so he can continue his tutelage under QB coach Kevin Rogers, the only guy who has gotten through to Vick, albeit briefly.

My guess: someone takes Vick on Day 1 of the draft, maybe even as high as late third round. If he does what I think he'll do at the combine, it's hard to pass up first round value past the third round.

No matter how risky.

KronoRed
02-28-2006, 12:49 PM
I pity the team that takes him.

Talent but no head.

Red Leader
02-28-2006, 01:03 PM
Don't even bring up the Maurice Clarett saga. They're similar in one way only: They're both turds. At least at this point.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Red Heeler
02-28-2006, 04:08 PM
I pity the team that takes him.

Talent but no head.

They said the same thing about Cory Dillon and Warren Sapp at one point. Of course, they also said it about Lawrence Phillips and Tremain Mack, too.

I wouldn't use a high 1st round pick on him, banking on him being the franchise for the next decade. On the other hand, if you are a team with an aging QB, why not use a 3rd round pick on him. (Yes, I am talking to you Tennessee Titans.) Best case, you have a stud QB to ease into the starting role. Worst case, your third round pick doesn't work out. No biggie, happens all the time.