View Full Version : What the Reds have done to improve

redsrule2500
01-06-2006, 06:41 PM

StillFunkyB
01-06-2006, 06:57 PM
?

Caveat Emperor
01-06-2006, 07:20 PM
Word on the street is that Dan O'Brien, Jerry Narron, and Chris Chambliss each chipped in $10 to order a copy of Tom Emanski's "Defensive Drills Vol. 2." I'm figuring that's worth a 1 or 2 error reduction.

John Allen axed the plan to buy "Teaching the Mechanics of the Big League Swing," though...so don't hold your breath for Back to Back to Back championships or anything.

redsfanmia
01-06-2006, 09:00 PM
Word on the street is that Dan O'Brien, Jerry Narron, and Chris Chambliss each chipped in $10 to order a copy of Tom Emanski's "Defensive Drills Vol. 2." I'm figuring that's worth a 1 or 2 error reduction.

John Allen axed the plan to buy "Teaching the Mechanics of the Big League Swing," though...so don't hold your breath for Back to Back to Back championships or anything.

That cant hurt, but do you think anyone on the team can throw from the outfield into the trash can like on the commercials?

RedsManRick
01-06-2006, 09:21 PM
I doubt it, but I bet Womack can slap at the ball with his bare hand...

Aronchis
01-06-2006, 10:32 PM
What did you expect that could be improved? We are going through transition which means new bosses and new people that work under the bosses.

That also means the old people won't be given much latitude to they can be replaced. I think the Sean Casey deal was the beginning of the purge. Take that to the bank and be patient.

WVRedsFan
01-07-2006, 01:57 AM
I guess the most frustrating thing is listening to XM and hearing about all the moves other teams are making. Pittsburgh, who already has great potential pitching from their farm system, keeps adding players who could (emphasis on could) make a difference in their team. We stand pat, make no moves, and look foolish.

So far, we have added one pitcher, Womack, and possibly (certainly) Rich Aurilia (who we didn't add, but brought back from a place where he should have stayed--obscurity). And while we see other small market teams making an effort to make their teams better, we sit idle.

In our division, Milwaukee is better, Pittsburgh is better, and the rest have always been better. I see no hope that O'Brien, Allen and company will be red-slipped, and the whole thing smells of "no vision, no care" to me. Yes, we have coming new ownership, but spring training is approaching and we are the least improved of the division.

Surely there is a "glass half full" opinon, but I've yet to see it.

WebScorpion
01-07-2006, 01:58 AM
What did you expect that could be improved? We are going through transition which means new bosses and new people that work under the bosses.

That also means the old people won't be given much latitude to they can be replaced. I think the Sean Casey deal was the beginning of the purge. Take that to the bank and be patient.

Once the Castellini's take over, if they can O'Brien and Allen that will be improvement enough for me. :D Addition by subtraction.

Red Thunder
01-07-2006, 06:50 AM
Pittsburgh, who already has great potential pitching from their farm system, keeps adding players who could (emphasis on could) make a difference in their team. We stand pat, make no moves, and look foolish.

Casey $ 6 mil.
Burnitz $ 6 mil.
Randa $ 4 mil.

They certainly payed a high price for these players. They could have gone after Troy Glaus, Luis Gonzalez or other offensive forces, but once again settled with so-so players. Not saying that they didn't improve their team, but on the other hand it's not really overhelming either. Plus each player has only a one-year contract with the Pirates. To me it seems that they just had to spend the money which was available no matter on who .... unfortunately for the Bucs the free agent market this winter didn't offer a lot.

wheels
01-07-2006, 08:18 AM

So...What's the timeline for this great catyclism that you've been trumpeting?

I wanna know when it's all going down so's I can be on Redszone in time to start the thread.

RFS62
01-07-2006, 08:59 AM
If the new ownership starts making moves once they take over, I'll be happy with the lack of activity so far, as it would have been DanO making the moves.

If they don't can DanO and Allen, I'm going to be one unhappy camper.

RANDY IN INDY
01-07-2006, 09:33 AM
Me, too.

gonelong
01-07-2006, 11:28 AM

I have it on a good source that the vidoe "gets results". :D

GL

Jpup
01-07-2006, 05:38 PM
traded Sean Casey.

creek14
01-07-2006, 05:47 PM
traded Sean Casey.
That was done to dump salary. If it ends up helping the Reds, it's just a pleasant by-product. Sort of like hot dogs.

TOBTTReds
01-08-2006, 11:57 AM
That was done to dump salary. If it ends up helping the Reds, it's just a pleasant by-product. Sort of like hot dogs.

Dumping salary can help a team. Makes it easier to sign your boy long term. hopefully.

redsfanmia
01-08-2006, 04:01 PM
Dumping salary can help a team. Makes it easier to sign your boy long term. hopefully.
But really does that make us better? I think not. Trading Casey not only saved salary it also changed the dynamic in the clubhouse, maybe there will be less hugs.

KronoRed
01-08-2006, 04:27 PM
Wins over hugs.

TOBTTReds
01-08-2006, 08:28 PM
But really does that make us better? I think not. Trading Casey not only saved salary it also changed the dynamic in the clubhouse, maybe there will be less hugs.

It can make you better in the long run. Maybe w/o that trade, we don't have the $ to sign Dunn LT. Hopefully that still happens.