PDA

View Full Version : Indiana-Ohio State...

Playadlc
01-07-2006, 01:01 AM
Should be a great game tommorow in Bloomington. OSU is a tough team and will play very tough b/c of their coach. I look for IU to win the game, but it won't be decided to the very end, IMO.

Caseyfan21
01-07-2006, 01:43 AM
Looking like a very good game. I will have to miss it though as I am going to the play by play high school classic all day at the Schott. Really looking forward to getting to see OJ Mayo play in person.

Back to the game, I think it will come down to OSU's shooting. If they put on a display like they did the other night against Penn St they will win easily. If they play like they did against LSU, I would look for Indiana to take them down. It really just comes down to shooting for OSU but I don't like our chances of being undefeated at this time tomorrow unfortunately.

Playadlc
01-07-2006, 01:57 AM
Well, being an IU fan, I hope you're right. OSU scares me. They spread the floor really well, and they have the personnel to shoot the 3 effectively. This is one game that IU could really miss Ratliff's (if he doesn't play) defense (long arms and quick feet) against the very quick OSU guards.

Thank goodness for the home court.

GAC
01-07-2006, 04:11 AM
OSU's schedule hasn't actually been a barn burner, but Matta is taking this team/program in the the right direction. I think OSU can win today.

The problem in the Big 10 is gonna be Illinois and MSU.

StillFunkyB
01-07-2006, 05:25 AM
Is Ohio State still under suspension or whatever from J-O?

bucksfan
01-07-2006, 10:51 AM
NCAA still has not made it's final rulings yet, but expectations are that there would be no more post season bans, etc - possibly just some banners coming down, etc. But who knows? I think most connected with the sitatuaion are fairly confident that the Buckeyes will be eligible for post-season now. Matta even included an "out clause" for next year's recruits in the event that Buckeyes do get harsher penalties.

On to the game, I agree with the sentiments above. We have shot the ball extremely well this year, and of course a display like that will be hard for IU to contend with. However, it is hard to imagine getting the looks against a Hoosier defence that they apparently got against Penn State. I think it will have to be a more complete all around game and consistent effort on the Buckeyes' part. It should be a good game. I am excited to get to see them on TV, that's for sure. Already have my ticketes for the Michigan game at the end of February!

StillFunkyB
01-07-2006, 11:26 AM
NCAA still has not made it's final rulings yet, but expectations are that ther would be no more post season bans, etc - possibly just some banners coming down, etc. But who knows? I think most connected with the sitatuaion are fairly confident that the Buckeyes will be eligible for post-season now. Matta even included an "out clause" for next year's recruits in the event that Buckeyes do get harsher penalties.

On to the game, I agree with the sentiments above. We have shot the ball extremely well this year, and of course a display like that will be hard for IU to contend with. However, it is hard to imagine getting the looks against a Hoosier defence that they apparently got against Penn State. I think it will have to be a more complete all around game and consistent effort on the Buckeyes' part. It should be a good game. I am ecisted to get to see them on TV, that's for sure. Already have my ticketes for the Michigan game at the end of February!

Thanks for the info, I wasn't sure whatever happened with that.

You must have a hard time being a Bucks fan up there in NW Ohio, there's alot of those "other" fans up there.

bucksfan
01-07-2006, 11:34 AM
It's not soo bad, especially in bball season as a lot of tsun's fans don't tend to be as vocal/passionate about their hoops. Actually I don't see a ton of Buckeyes hoops support either, but it's just not as big of a deal as football to most. For me, altho the college football experience/spectacle is a unparalleled experience IMO, I get just as passionate about the hoops games, especially the bigger ones.

We are paper thin inside. Dials seems to have shaken his early doldrums, but still if he is taken out of the game, either by his own doing or by the play of the opposition, we are in trouble unless the hot shooting compensates. Twig (Terwilliger) has improved by leaps and bounds and helps a lot but it is still a very thin and small inside presence overall. Fortunately there are not aton of teams that are capable of emploiting that consistently and effectively guarding our perimeter also. But it can and likely will be done a few (hopefully that's all) times this season.

bucksfan
01-07-2006, 11:39 AM
OSU's schedule hasn't actually been a barn burner, but Matta is taking this team/program in the the right direction. I think OSU can win today.

The problem in the Big 10 is gonna be Illinois and MSU.

Yeah - Sagarin has our SOS at 222 BUT we are #7 :eek: in his RPI rankings. Take that FWIW though, but we have done better than in recent years. The Gardner Webb thrashing, for as chintzy as that sounds, was not too bad considering they beat Minny and barely lost to UNC. The Iowa State win was nice, especially coming back from being 15 down. The Iowa State win was also noce and a game we were losing before since it was essentially a road game against a well-coached and disciplined team.

By no means have we played a killer schedule, but I at least like our performance against what we have played so far. We'll see how it plays out on the court, eh?

Playadlc
01-07-2006, 05:45 PM
Great game going on in Bloomington.

IU leads 66-64 with 7:50 to go.

Playadlc
01-07-2006, 06:18 PM
Hoosiers prevail, 81-79.

I think we just saw the two best teams in the Big Ten.

traderumor
01-07-2006, 06:25 PM
I thought the Bucks would make a three there at the end to pull it out. Matt Terwilliger played too much today for us to win. Indiana was on fire for the last 23 minutes and OSU still almost won.

Oh, and Killingsworth is a hot dog that was parked in the lane all day and they called 3 seconds once. That really wasn't fair. Yes, that's sour grapes, but it made for a lot of fouls inside and easy hoops by letting him park out in there.

Oh, did I mention Mike Davis is doing just fine taking over for the master whiner of all time?

redsfanmia
01-07-2006, 06:29 PM
How long do you think Matta stays at the Ohio State University? What is the longest he has had a job for 4 years?

traderumor
01-07-2006, 06:46 PM
No disrespect to Butler and Xavier, but he is much more likely to stay at a place with the opportunities Ohio State presents for quite some time.

Caseyfan21
01-07-2006, 11:17 PM
How long do you think Matta stays at the Ohio State University? What is the longest he has had a job for 4 years?

Neither Butler or Xavier is a final destination type of job unless a coach just wants to stay there for a career. OSU, on the other hand, can only be topped by some of the east coast teams. I think Matta will stay unless a Duke or Carolina type job becomes available which isn't likely in the near future. I think he said earlier this was his dream job so I like our chances of keeping him. He is signed to a ridiculously long contract as it is.

Sean_CaseyRules
01-07-2006, 11:57 PM
Anyone hear the announcers give the refs crap because they called Dials last foul, but before that they didnt call one on the IU guy because it was late in the game..........

bucksfan
01-08-2006, 12:43 AM
We had our chances. I think Terence knew that back screen was coming too - just did not do a good job making sure he did not fould getting thru it. I really liked the effort though, especially the first really tough team in a really tough venue.

I have not seen the breakdown of the minutes played, but part of me says that if Mayes had not been in so much for Butler, we would not have let so much of that 1st half lead slip away. I know Mayes is in his first year of real college ball, but it seems he has WAY too much street in his game and is just looking to jack up shots. But he must show Matta some level of control to merit the PT he does get. I t seems he can be a very good passer (and shooter sometimes) but he took very bad shots today. But Jamar does need some rest - I'll have to check how the minutes played out...

GAC
01-08-2006, 05:30 AM
Heck of a game. We let them back into this one. But I like what I see.

redsfanmia
01-08-2006, 09:53 AM
Neither Butler or Xavier is a final destination type of job unless a coach just wants to stay there for a career. OSU, on the other hand, can only be topped by some of the east coast teams. I think Matta will stay unless a Duke or Carolina type job becomes available which isn't likely in the near future. I think he said earlier this was his dream job so I like our chances of keeping him. He is signed to a ridiculously long contract as it is.
What if the Indiana job comes open after this year? The Indiana job is a much better one than Ohio State and Thad would be a great fit. Indiana is a destination job not Ohio State, I bet he would jump, he is an opprotunist.

guttle11
01-08-2006, 11:08 AM
What if the Indiana job comes open after this year? The Indiana job is a much better one than Ohio State and Thad would be a great fit. Indiana is a destination job not Ohio State, I bet he would jump, he is an opprotunist.

What in the world are you talking about? Why is it a destination job? Because Bob Knight was there for while? If you asked most people, they would take Ohio State anytime. Columbus or Bloomington? OSU has more money, better facilities, more options close by outside of basketball than Bloomington.

There is a reason that two of the country's best HS players are leaving IU's backyard and coming to Ohio State. I think that says something about how a lot of people feel about IU. Indiana became great because of one man, not the school.

Playadlc
01-08-2006, 12:12 PM
What in the world are you talking about? Why is it a destination job? Because Bob Knight was there for while? If you asked most people, they would take Ohio State anytime. Columbus or Bloomington? OSU has more money, better facilities, more options close by outside of basketball than Bloomington.

There is a reason that two of the country's best HS players are leaving IU's backyard and coming to Ohio State. I think that says something about how a lot of people feel about IU. Indiana became great because of one man, not the school.

Indiana won national titles before Bob Knight got there. There is really no way most people would choose OSU over Indiana. In football they would, but not in basketball. Indiana has 5 national titles (5th all-time), been to the final four 8 times (6th all-time), been to the NCAA tournament 32 times (5th all-time), and have 52 NCAA tournament wins, which ranks as 6th most. Not to mention complete heads up domination over every team in the Big Ten outside of Purdue.

I'm not saying Matta would leave OSU for IU, but Indiana is a destination job.

guttle11
01-08-2006, 01:24 PM
Indiana won national titles before Bob Knight got there. There is really no way most people would choose OSU over Indiana. In football they would, but not in basketball. Indiana has 5 national titles (5th all-time), been to the final four 8 times (6th all-time), been to the NCAA tournament 32 times (5th all-time), and have 52 NCAA tournament wins, which ranks as 6th most. Not to mention complete heads up domination over every team in the Big Ten outside of Purdue.

I'm not saying Matta would leave OSU for IU, but Indiana is a destination job.

Is that why Mike Davis is still there when they have wanted to fire him since the day he was hired? Obviously, no one has shown that much interest in going there, or he would be gone.

IU is a storied program, no doubt, but that doesn't mean you are a destination job. IU won't get established coaches to leave established programs just to coach there. I really don't think OSU is a destination program either, I just think it would be more appealing to most people.

If you want to talk about "Destination" jobs, there aren't many.

UCLA
Duke
UNC

That's probably about it.

bucksfan
01-08-2006, 02:01 PM
Destination jobs really depend on the individual. Matta has midwest roots so may, despite his early trend, he is more than satisfied now that he is coaching a mojor Big Ten school with excellent facilities and full support (whether it be Ohio State, Indiana, Illinois, etc). Hard to tell if he would move beyond that if given the chance. I would seriously doubt he'd make a move from Ohio State to Indiana, and I'd also seriously doubt , if he were at Indiana, that he would leave there for Ohio State. But youneverknow. I would say that I don't think either one offeres basketball opportunities that the other does not, so then it would just come down to personal preference. That is hard for others to judge.

Looking at the minutes given to our PG's, I see Butler had 28 and Mayes had 14. Maybe it needed to be broken up that way for whatever reason, but I'd have liked to have seen less of Mayes as IU was making their run late in the 1st half. I believe I am correct in that he was in there a lot at that time (if I am not then call me wrong). Jamar continued with an excellent assist-TO ratio of 3-0 while Mayes went 0-2 and took a few horrible shots that I felt really did more harm than just a missed scoring opportunity - they disrupted the flow of our offence.

I don't mean to pin the loss on one kid - I definitely do not. Several factors, including Indiana's great shooting, had a lot to do with the final outcome of the game. This was just one small factor I thought contributed towards a losing that 17 point lead.

Unassisted
01-08-2006, 02:02 PM
I really don't think OSU is a destination program either, I just think it would be more appealing to most people. But did you see that article (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/2006-01-04-athletics_x.htm?POE=SPOISVA)last week which stated that Ohio State generates more revenue than any athletic program in the country? If I were a coach looking for a gig in any sport, I'd consider Ohio State to be a place where I would be rewarded handsomely if I succeed. Those other schools you listed have storied programs, but nothing correlates higher with across-the-board success in college athletics than a program with deep pockets.

redsfanmia
01-08-2006, 04:11 PM

Basketball is and will always be a secondary sport at OSU just like football is a secondary sport at Indiana. Indiana is a much better baketball job than OSU, 5 national titles dictates that. One big reason that Oden and Connelly (sp?) is leaving the state for OSU is because Mike Davis is not on solid ground and has been put on alert about his job and there is far more pressure on Indiana kids who go to IU. JMO ofcourse

redsfanmia
01-08-2006, 04:17 PM
Is that why Mike Davis is still there when they have wanted to fire him since the day he was hired? Obviously, no one has shown that much interest in going there, or he would be gone.

IU is a storied program, no doubt, but that doesn't mean you are a destination job. IU won't get established coaches to leave established programs just to coach there. I really don't think OSU is a destination program either, I just think it would be more appealing to most people.

If you want to talk about "Destination" jobs, there aren't many.

UCLA
Duke
UNC

That's probably about it.
Duke wasnt a "destination job" until Coach K turned the program, the "destination jobs are imo North Carolina, Kentucky, Indiana, UCLA, Kansas, and Duke. One of the main reasons Mike Davis is still coaching at Indiana is the fact that he took them to the final game in his first full season and the atheletic department is millions in hole financially and couldnt afford to eat another contract. Plus who wants to follow a legend? Following Bob Knight at Indiana is not easy because of the way he went out, most people dont like Mike Davis just because he is not Bobby Knight.

bucksfan
01-09-2006, 09:52 PM
THis was (unfortunately :eek: ) brought back to my mind by a poster over at O-zone, but did anyone recall seeing Dials jack up a 3 right at the start of one offensive possession? My gosh, I about fainted. But the thing that slays me is the announcers actually had the gall to say something to the effect of "Oh, he can step out there and make that". Based on WHAT?!?! Dials actually cannot and does not do that. Ever. And these are the guys that are supposed to be telling me about other basketball teams of whom I have far less information and knowledge.

It just goes to show me (AGAIN and AGAIN) that it is silly to trust any kind of information you get from so many of these jokers unless you really have been able to establish a pattern of reliable information coming from them. I mean, it's not as if Dials is new to the scene or anything. He is a 5th yr senior and yet they choose to say he can make 3-pointers when he has taken exactly 2 in his career including that one, and made none.

That was a big deal about nothing but I feel better now! ;)

Hoosier Red
01-10-2006, 05:09 PM
[QUOTE=guttle11]Is that why Mike Davis is still there when they have wanted to fire him since the day he was hired? Obviously, no one has shown that much interest in going there, or he would be gone.
/QUOTE]

Who has wanted to fire him? Certainly many boosters but he has had almost unequivocal support from the Athletic Department until last year when he got a "be better next year" ultimatum. Of course nobody knows what that means but I digress...
If they finish poorly and Davis is fired, I assure you the top coaching candidates will line up for the job.
Following Bob Knight isn't easy. Following the guy who follows Bob Knight is much easier.

As for "losing all the top players," that's a bit misleading.

Vaden, Ratliff, Hardy, and Kline were all Indiana HS All-stars. Vaden I believe was Mr. Basketball.

Knight lost his share of players through the years as well.
Eric Montross went to North Carolina, Jason Gardner went to Arizona, and then there were the players who transferrred through the years.
Usually, IU has one or two Mr. Basketball's on its roster at any time, which means that two or three out of four years the top player is not attending IU.

Oden wanted to go wherever Conley went and for some reason Conley was against IU. Matta did a great job recruiting pure and simple.

My guess is in 4 or 5 years, Matta's stock will have risen even more and it won't be an East coast destination job, but rather a multi million dollar NBA job.