PDA

View Full Version : Will New Ownership Make A Splash Immediately?

Krusty
01-07-2006, 10:02 AM
With Robert Castellini and the Williams brothers ready to assume control January 19, what can we expect to happen? Do they make a splash immediately by cleaning the front office? Do they let O'Brien and Narron finish the last year of their contracts out since the offseason is close to being finish? Or do they bump the payroll up so O'Brien will be able to make moves during the season?

Krusty
01-07-2006, 10:07 AM
With that said, could Piniella succeed as a GM as long as he had an assistant GM with a strong baseball background to concentrate on the details of the job and oversee the development of the farm system?

Reds4Life
01-07-2006, 10:12 AM
If they hire Lou it won't be as GM.

Gallen5862
01-07-2006, 10:12 AM
I voted bump the payroll up. I am hoping new ownership will allow us to increase the payroll.

creek14
01-07-2006, 10:31 AM
I voted bump the payroll up. I am hoping new ownership will allow us to increase the payroll.
An increase in payroll with DanO spending could get us another Milton and a LTC for Rich A. :scared:

Where is the Status Quo button? :cry:

Heath
01-07-2006, 10:47 AM
Where is the Status Quo button? :cry:

What I wouldn't do for this button -

http://www.hydrous.net/photoblog/large/50e7b552c45ad275.jpg

Without DanO pushing it....

MartyFan
01-07-2006, 11:10 AM
Well depending on how much they follow the gameplan they had in St. Louis, I think the first thing they do will be to replace top to bottom the organization bringing in good judges of talent...I am not certain we will see a lot of bump in payroll because if you look at what St. :ouis did they developed a good core and then aquired the pieces they needed too put them over the top.

Raisor
01-07-2006, 03:47 PM
With that said, could Piniella succeed as a GM as long as he had an assistant GM with a strong baseball background to concentrate on the details of the job and oversee the development of the farm system?

I HEART Lou and everything, he was around for two of my all time favorite baseball moments, the 90 team and the 95 M's team, but I'd probably have to poke my eyes out if he became the GM.

I

Falls City Beer
01-07-2006, 03:57 PM
The new ownership has already started pouring the cement (Casey for Williams). But that's more of a "glop" than a "splash."

The one hope (and it's a very small hope) that I have for new ownership is that they're set on getting rid of some contractual dead weight (Casey, Griffey, Milton) and they'll be willing to go half-sies with another team to dump them (Milton + $8 million to Ms or Dodgers). Where they go in terms of actually acquiring talent, I don't know. But for right now, I think it's fair to say the Castellini group is going to do this thing the sloooow way.

KronoRed
01-07-2006, 04:05 PM
Status Quo, Allen will be kept on, Dan O might get the boot after the year but he'll just be replaced by someone similar.

Krusty
01-07-2006, 04:12 PM
Status Quo, Allen will be kept on, Dan O might get the boot after the year but he'll just be replaced by someone similar.

I don't think so. New ownership had made it known that they want to win immediately. They most definitely bring someone in to replace John Allen as president. Probably, O'Brien gets to finish the year out as GM since the baseball part of the front office is set and most of the available front office people have been locked up for the 2006 season.

If the Reds were able to dump the salaries of Griffey, Milton and others they would have done it by now. We all knew Lindner was against eating contracts (although Graves and Jimenez's dumping were surprising).

Best scenario would be for the Reds to hire a new GM after 2006 and give him the financial room (80 million payroll) to make some moves.

Jpup
01-07-2006, 05:35 PM
Probably, O'Brien gets to finish the year out as GM since the baseball part of the front office is set and most of the available front office people have been locked up for the 2006 season.

DePodesta is still unemployed. :thumbup:

RFS62
01-07-2006, 06:02 PM
DanO's most famous transaction is the Milton acquisition.

He's the laughingstock of baseball for that move. It's talked about on XM, in the papers, everywhere. There isn't a single credible baseball source anywhere who doesn't know that it was a catastrophic blunder.

And Castellini knows just how stupid a move it was too.

If he doesn't come right in and sack DanO and not renew Allens contract, he's a fool.

And I'm counting on him not being a fool.

If he doesn't, he gives tacit approval of the job DanO has done. That would be a terrible way to start, and an incredible wasted opportunity to give some hope to Reds fans that "Status Quo" is no longer acceptable.

redsfanmia
01-07-2006, 06:36 PM
DePodesta is still unemployed. :thumbup:
He did a great job with the Dodgers.:thumbdown

KronoRed
01-07-2006, 06:38 PM
I blame that more on the Dodger old school hierarchy then on Depo.

Raisor
01-07-2006, 07:45 PM

He got them to the playoffs for the first time since Bob Dole ran for President.

pedro
01-07-2006, 07:57 PM
He got them to the playoffs for the first time since Bob Dole ran for President.

http://www.unsignedphotos.com/images/c00109.jpg

dsmith421
01-07-2006, 08:29 PM
If by making a splash, you mean signing Rich Aurilia for $2M plus, benching Edwin Encarnacion and Ryan Freel, and inquiring into the availability of Delino DeShields, all while not improving the pitching, well, yes.

flyer85
01-07-2006, 09:27 PM
Only if they can do a "triple lindy".

GAC
01-08-2006, 04:37 AM
I blame that more on the Dodger old school hierarchy then on Depo.

There's some truth to that. But you don't think the Dodgers knew what they were getting when they hired him, being an assistant to Bean? You can't simply lay it at the feet of old school mentality as to why DePodesta failed there.

I can understand and give sympathy with anyone who has to deal with Tommy L. But the "read" on Depo was that he was very impersonal and aloof with many of the office personnel. And when it came to building that team in the field he refused to take factor in or take into consideration conflicting attitudes/personalities of players that he put together on that field. Guys like Bradley and Kent for example. They had problems in that clubhouse.

As far as Castellini goes. He's not gonna come in and immediately make alot of wholesale changes. There has to be a "learning and adjustment" curve for this new group. Their payroll is pretty much stretched to it's limit, and there are stil arb cases that have to be resolved.

It will be status quo for '06. And it's not simpy changes in this FO either (though that is a start); but wholesale changes in personnel through the scouting and development areas also. And when you have to "gut it" and start over, you're not gonna see immediate results results. It sets you back even further.

If Castellini can find someone to take Milton, he should be voted baseball executive of the year for that act alone.

I don't know if he had any input or voice in the Womack signing, or the current negotiations with RA; but I think they if we are gonna credit them with involvement in the Casey trade. If so, then that is not an encouraging sign at all.

Krusty
01-08-2006, 10:04 AM
DanO's most famous transaction is the Milton acquisition.

He's the laughingstock of baseball for that move. It's talked about on XM, in the papers, everywhere. There isn't a single credible baseball source anywhere who doesn't know that it was a catastrophic blunder.

And Castellini knows just how stupid a move it was too.

If he doesn't come right in and sack DanO and not renew Allens contract, he's a fool.

And I'm counting on him not being a fool.

If he doesn't, he gives tacit approval of the job DanO has done. That would be a terrible way to start, and an incredible wasted opportunity to give some hope to Reds fans that "Status Quo" is no longer acceptable.

And isn't it just ironic that Lou Piniella was spotted in the same building where Castellini's office is a month or two ago? Where there is smoke, there usually is a fire. And I think Castellini wants to make an impact and what better way is to bring Piniella back to the organization.

He might be a co-manager/GM with the Reds hiring a strong assistant GM to handle the everyday details and oversee the player development and scouting departments.

But if you want to get the fans excited (especially after the Bengals lose today), bring Piniella back to the organization would be a good start.

RFS62
01-08-2006, 10:11 AM
I'd be very disappointed if he hired Sweet Lou as a GM. We don't need a name, we need a guy with experience.

I love Lou. But not as another learn on the job GM.

Krusty
01-08-2006, 10:21 AM
Makes you wonder how many front office people from the St. Louis Cardinals organization could take front office positions for the Reds?

Reds4Life
01-08-2006, 01:21 PM
Lou gave an interview on CNBC with Joe Torre and others, he said he was going to be in the booth for 2006, but he said "never say never" when asked if he might return to the field. If he returns it will be as a manager, not a general manager.