PDA

View Full Version : Will Tubby Smith have a job after this year?

WVRed
01-07-2006, 04:12 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=260072305

LAWRENCE, Kan. (AP) -- Freshman Brandon Rush had career highs of 24 points and 12 rebounds for his first double-double and Kansas handed Kentucky (No. 21 ESPN/USA Today, No. 19 AP) its worst loss in coach Tubby Smith's nine seasons, 73-46 Saturday.

Russell Robinson added 12 points and C.J. Giles added 10 for Kansas (9-4), which won its sixth straight, broke Kentucky's four-game winning streak and beat a ranked team for the first time in three tries this season.

The Wildcats' only other loss of more than 20 points under Smith came earlier this season, in a 79-53 defeat at Indiana on Dec. 10.

The Jayhawks led 41-19 at halftime behind 16 points from Rush, and were up by as many as 32 points in the second half.

It was the first meeting between the two teams in Lawrence since Kansas blew out the Wildcats 150-95 on Dec. 9, 1989 -- a school scoring record for the Jayhawks and still the second-worst defeat in Kentucky history.

This one is likely to stick in the Wildcats' memories, too -- not for how well Kansas played on offense, but for how poorly Kentucky (10-4) performed in its lowest-scoring game since a 46-45 loss to Michigan State on Dec. 16, 2000.

The Wildcats were 15-for-62 from the field on Saturday, missing their first 13 shots from long range and not recording an assist until Rajan Rondo fed Ravi Moss for Kentucky's first 3-pointer with 14:20 left in the game.

They finished with five assists, three by Rondo, and shot 24 percent from the field.

Kentucky missed 17 of its first 20 shots, going 0-for-7 from outside the arc over that span, and didn't break into double digits until Joe Crawford connected from the lane with just over 6 minutes left in the first half.

Kansas led 25-10 after Crawford's basket -- and Rush had single-handedly outscored Kentucky 11-10. The Wildcats didn't get ahead of him for good, 18-16, until Rondo hit two free throws with 1:14 left in the first half.

Rondo and Crawford had nine points each for Kentucky -- the first time this year the Wildcats have gone without a double-digit scorer.

With the score tied at 4 almost four minutes into the game, Rush tracked down an offensive rebound after a flurry of misses and scored.

He followed that up with a 3-pointer on Kansas' next possession, Mario Chalmers added an assist and a layup in quick succession, and the Jayhawks were off on a 19-4 run that put them up 25-8 with just over 6½ minutes left in the half.

Had the Jayhawks made a few more defensive rebounds, Kentucky would have scored just four points in the first 15 minutes. Three of the Wildcats' first five field goals and their first two free throws came after they were able to rebound their own misses.

An 8-0 run, capped by two baskets by Giles, put Kansas up 66-34 with just under 8½ minutes left in the game.

KronoRed
01-07-2006, 04:21 PM
Will Tubby Smith have a job after this year?

I'm thinking yes..it's a bit early to throw the coach under the bus.

WMR
01-07-2006, 05:34 PM
I'm thinking that this is the most disappointed that I have ever been in a basketball team from the University of Kentucky. That was the most pathetic 'performance' I've ever been forced to endure.

At a certain point pride has to take over. This team played with absolutely no gusto or enthusiasm from the opening whistle to the final buzzer. It's like they decided that Morriss was coming back next game, so we'll just mail this one in. Give me a break. Morriss isn't turning this team into a final four contender; this team doesn't appear to care.

Tubby's glaring problems at recruiting quality basketball players is really beginning to show through. We tried to get Tyler Hanesborough... where did he go?? UNC. It's like there's at least 10 other schools who can make an offer and automatically take kids from UK.

Personally, I like Tubby. But his recruiting can't hold a candle to the quality of Players brought in on a consistent basis by Pitino.

It was really funny, I was hoping Dicky V would draw some sort of comparison between the two eras of each coach's recruiting success while at UK. Dicky V was naming off all these legitimate stars recruited under Pitino. The list was truly impressive. Delk, Anderson, Walker, McCarty, Mercer, Mohammed, Padgett, the list goes on and on. Who has Tubby recruited that matured to such status?? Tayshaun Prince. That's it.

UK is not being perceived as an "elite of the elite" by this nation's top recruits and that needs to change. If it means finding another coach, so be it. I want results; not average players and even worse, uninspired and uncaring performances on the court.

WVRed
01-07-2006, 06:07 PM
I'm thinking that this is the most disappointed that I have ever been in a basketball team from the University of Kentucky. That was the most pathetic 'performance' I've ever been forced to endure.

At a certain point pride has to take over. This team played with absolutely no gusto or enthusiasm from the opening whistle to the final buzzer. It's like they decided that Morriss was coming back next game, so we'll just mail this one in. Give me a break. Morriss isn't turning this team into a final four contender; this team doesn't appear to care.

Tubby's glaring problems at recruiting quality basketball players is really beginning to show through. We tried to get Tyler Hanesborough... where did he go?? UNC. It's like there's at least 10 other schools who can make an offer and automatically take kids from UK.

Personally, I like Tubby. But his recruiting can't hold a candle to the quality of Players brought in on a consistent basis by Pitino.

It was really funny, I was hoping Dicky V would draw some sort of comparison between the two eras of each coach's recruiting success while at UK. Dicky V was naming off all these legitimate stars recruited under Pitino. The list was truly impressive. Delk, Anderson, Walker, McCarty, Mercer, Mohammed, Padgett, the list goes on and on. Who has Tubby recruited that matured to such status?? Tayshaun Prince. That's it.

UK is not being perceived as an "elite of the elite" by this nation's top recruits and that needs to change. If it means finding another coach, so be it. I want results; not average players and even worse, uninspired and uncaring performances on the court.

Very well put.

If you get a chance, read the scout.com UK message board(WildcatChat). That place is in total meltdown. Almost every thread is calling for Tubby's head right now, and normally you would never be able to say a bad word about His Tubbiness.

To answer my own question, Tubby isnt going anywhere unless he decides to. Unless the NBA becomes an attractive option or he decides he doesnt want to deal with the pressure, he will stay. For the amount of money he is owed, it would be ludicrous to fire him, and with Barnhardt making the decision on a replacement, thats not something I would look forward to.

WMR
01-07-2006, 06:13 PM
Could a Tubby Smith meltdown be enough to end the Barnhardt era at UK? At initial thought, I doubt it, because he brings in so much cash... however, people are very fickle about their University of Kentucky basketball team...

... certainly enough to fire an AD if they perceived that move as bringing about change in the on-field and recruiting departments (albeit an AD who excels at doing what Trustees love, raise money)?

Reds4Life
01-07-2006, 06:15 PM
Over on the Rivals.com Kentucky forum they want to try and lure Pitino back to UK. :lol: Don't think that will happen anytime this century.

KronoRed
01-07-2006, 06:15 PM
Who would you replace Tubby with? who would want to deal with those type of expectations?

WMR
01-07-2006, 06:17 PM
I'd take Billy Donovan.

Florida's nice; but he could do special things at UK.

Falls City Beer
01-07-2006, 06:19 PM
I actually think both Tubby and Pitino are probably on alert. I could be wrong, but it wouldn't surprise me that both guys are in hot water if their losing ways continue.

KronoRed
01-07-2006, 06:20 PM
I'd take Billy Donovan.

Florida's nice; but he could do special things at UK.
You're kidding right?

Leave a place where 20 wins is cause for celebration and he's one of the highest paid coaches? where he's worshiped and go to a place where every loss is cause to be fired? and they will hang him if he doesn't win a NC in his first year?

HA ;)

If you fire Tubby a better plan would be get a young guy who is an unknown, let him build his system from the ground up.

Look at Bob Stoops, Florida came after him hard after Spurrier left town but he said no, he has a good thing and knew that expectations would be insane at Florida.

WMR
01-07-2006, 06:21 PM
Billy Donovan would leave Florida for UK in a heartbeat.

KronoRed
01-07-2006, 06:22 PM
Billy Donovan would leave Florida for UK in a heartbeat.
No he wouldn't.

Your fan base is insane, witness this thread ;)

Joseph
01-07-2006, 06:23 PM
Donovan isn't Pitino Jr. Let's cross him off the list and much like the Reds, let's stop the obsession with the old days and bring in fresh blood.

WMR
01-07-2006, 06:25 PM
Look who he's put in the NBA; he can recruit Pitino-level talent. He's the type of coach who could really magnify those talents at a school with the potential recruiting power of a UK. UK has more potential for maximizing recruiting than Florida. Billy Donovan is the exact sort of coach that we need.

Reds4Life
01-07-2006, 07:47 PM
I actually think both Tubby and Pitino are probably on alert. I could be wrong, but it wouldn't surprise me that both guys are in hot water if their losing ways continue.

There is ZERO chance Pitino is on the hot seat at Louisville, he'll retire a Cardinal.

Falls City Beer
01-07-2006, 09:18 PM
There is ZERO chance Pitino is on the hot seat at Louisville, he'll retire a Cardinal.

Maybe. But I don't know, talking to some wealthy alums I know--they say the school isn't married to the guy. He's had ample time to prepare for the move to the big dance (Big East), etc. If the Cards don't start beating teams that matter, he may be out a lot sooner than a lot of people think. Now, they won't fire him of course; they'll give him a chance to quit and save face, but the Louisville program wants a national title. They are saying they're bothered by the fact that Pitino's so far been unable to recruit a good big man for the boards (Ellis Myles being the only example). Padgett ain't it. Some are questioning if his heart's been in it as much as it should be.

As I speak, the Cards are looking to cough one up to Providence of all teams.

REDREAD
01-07-2006, 10:44 PM
I don't follow UK that much, but I think you have to be realistic and expect a disappointing season every once in awhile. The Wildcats are still ranked #19.

Just remember, UNC fans thought they were doing the right thing when they dismissed Bill Guthridge (2 final fours in 3 years, but couldn't beat Duke), and they hired a "young up and coming guy" who fell on his face.

Tubby is a great coach. Recruiting is unbelievably competitive, especially since they're fighting the NBA now. Cut the guy some slack. If I were a UK fan, I'd much rather have Tubby around to turn things around than anyone else who would realistically be available.

Heath
01-07-2006, 10:58 PM
If Travis Ford could get UMass turned around - there's the young coach you need at UK.

I wonder if Steve Alford would take the UK job?

If Dennis Felton hadn't taken the UGA job, there's another viable candidate.

WVRed
01-08-2006, 08:44 AM
If Travis Ford could get UMass turned around - there's the young coach you need at UK.

I wonder if Steve Alford would take the UK job?

If Dennis Felton hadn't taken the UGA job, there's another viable candidate.

I've read that Ford has had not too good relations with some UK fans while at EKU. While I think he would be considered, I dont know how far he would get.

Alford is probably the top candidate for Indiana if/when they ever get rid of Mike Davis, although he has probably saved his job after this year.

As far as Georgia, its happened before.

I have to believe, going down the Pitino family tree, it would be Billy Donovan, Herb Sendek(NC St), Ralph Willard(Holy Cross, former Pitt coach), Travis Ford, and John Pelfrey(So Alabama). Might also figure Morehead St's Kyle Macy, even though he hasnt had much success on the collegiate level.

KronoRed
01-08-2006, 04:32 PM
Don't be like bama and just go after guys who are "in the family"

Newport Red
01-08-2006, 09:28 PM
Don't be like bama and just go after guys who are "in the family"

Don't give them any ideas. I loath Kentucky basketball and really enjoying the long faces around here now.

Ibleedblue
01-08-2006, 09:54 PM
I don't really put this season on Tubby. How was he supposed to know that Kelenna and Morris would make stupid decisions and that Sparks would basically become useless? If Sparks was putting up the same #'s as last year, Kelenna was back and Morris didn't try and jump to the NBA, this team would be much better right now.

Big Donkey
01-09-2006, 01:05 AM
No he wouldn't.

Your fan base is insane, witness this thread ;)

Haha, it's true, we're all insane.

In all actuality, last I knew at least, Billy Donovan openly said in an interview that his dream job was UK and would take it if he ever got the chance. Now this has been a couple years back, so I am not sure if he'd still openly SAY that today since Florida is having good times right now. But I bet ya he'd still take it. ;)

KronoRed
01-09-2006, 04:24 AM
Source for that? ;)

Again, Bob Stoops called Florida his dream job a bunch of times, then he turned them down twice.

Mostly a don't burn bridges thing IMO

Big Donkey
01-10-2006, 03:47 PM
Source for that? ;)

Again, Bob Stoops called Florida his dream job a bunch of times, then he turned them down twice.

Mostly a don't burn bridges thing IMO

Sorry, you'll have to take my word. :D It was a television interview he gave, I believe on ESPN a couple years ago. As I said, with Florida having better times lately, the situation may have changed for him, but I would still say the odds are greater that he would leave for Kentucky if he had the chance. Just my opinion, not wishful thinking or anything as I am not that enamored with Billy D to begin with.

Reds4Life
01-10-2006, 11:20 PM
Well, this will make things interesting. Kentucky just lost to Vandy at home 57-52

macro
01-10-2006, 11:25 PM
Vanderbilts first win against UK in Lexington since 1974.

:eek:

I think it's safe to say that this is the worst UK team since the 1990 probation team, which went about .500.

Playadlc
01-10-2006, 11:29 PM
Not only are they losing...they are playing stupidly and out of control.

They were down 4 with over a minute left and air balled a horribly forced 3 pointer.

This does not look like a Tubby team.

I would expect the wolves will be out tonight in the blueland.

KronoRed
01-11-2006, 12:08 AM
They will win 20 and get to the NCAA.

Seems every year we hear that Tubby is in trouble, and then they pick it up..they will be fine.

Blimpie
01-11-2006, 02:27 PM
Sorry, you'll have to take my word. :D It was a television interview he gave, I believe on ESPN a couple years ago. As I said, with Florida having better times lately, the situation may have changed for him, but I would still say the odds are greater that he would leave for Kentucky if he had the chance. Just my opinion, not wishful thinking or anything as I am not that enamored with Billy D to begin with.If I am not mistaken, when Rick left for Boston, Billy Donovan was #1A on C.M. Newton's list to be contacted (with Tubby being # 1) about the position.

However, when Tubby agreed to a contract and left Georgia in a New York minute--Donovan was left saying politely that he was "flattered but loved it at UF." Who knows what Billy's reaction would have been had the negotiations become more drawn out--they just never had time to materialize.

In the eight or so years hence, Donovan has made it clear (in the articles that I have read) that he has no desire to coach at UK. Furthermore, he feels that the new basketball facilities that they are building for him in Gainesville will give the Gators a superior recruiting advantage over UK for years to come.

Company speak? Maybe. But regardless of how poorly some of his teams have done in recent NCAA tournaments, they are still ready to start building statues of Donovan in Hogtown. FWIW, his wife loves it there, too.

WMR
01-11-2006, 02:35 PM
Hey Blimpie, how's this Vandy loss strike you?

How would you rate Randolph Morriss' return?

Blimpie
01-11-2006, 02:45 PM
I don't really put this season on Tubby. How was he supposed to know that Kelenna and Morris would make stupid decisions and that Sparks would basically become useless? If Sparks was putting up the same #'s as last year, Kelenna was back and Morris didn't try and jump to the NBA, this team would be much better right now.I agree that one would be hard pressed to hang this year's problems solely upon Tubby. Not only did he expect to have both Randolph and Kelenna in the starting lineup this season, Patrick Sparks is a shell of his former self. The real problem at this point of the season is the same problem they have had since October: The UK players are too selfish to play as a team. It is clear that there are serious personality conflicts between Rondo, Crawford and Bradley.

Rondo is the reluctant hero who would prefer he return to last year's role. Instead, he's being asked to do everything except mop Donna Smith's brow in the stands. How many D-I point guards are being asked to give more to their team than Rondo? Pretty soon, he's gonna get disgusted with the other players and just start mailing it in like the rest of them.

Last night, Crawford took so many bad shots at bad times that it is hard to even condense his suckitude within one post. Me, me, me, me....The guy knows nothing about playing within a team setting. Sure, plenty of UK fans love him when he scores 22 points on a night when nobody else can throw it in the river. But I saw through his act long before his hiatus to Detroit last season. This year, I thought that he would see the opportunity that Kelenna's departure had given to him. Instead, his eyes got bigger by the day. At least Kelenna would listen to Tubby on occasion.

Ramel Bradley has gone on record as saying that he "likes to take the big shot" and that he has "a hard time not going one-on-one" against his opponent. Even the announcers were feeding into that garbage last night by saying "It's hard to take the New York outa this kid." The hell it is. Have a seat on the bench, son.

If Ravi Moss doesn't start the next game, it'll get worse. The Tubby haters are out in full force. But, I don't know a coach in the land that can make a player(s) who is just plain old selfish--all the sudden buy into the team concept.

WMR
01-11-2006, 02:52 PM
Blimpie I could not agree more; Last night, it was really appalling to watch Crawford take those absolutely horrible shots at the very end there when we were losing the game... it's just such poor basketball.

Hell, I say play LeMaster and Williams if they'll at least play the right way. You know, I really am at that point.

WMR
01-11-2006, 03:06 PM
But, I don't know a coach in the land that can make a player(s) who is just plain old selfish--all the sudden buy into the team concept.

Blimpie, who made the final decision that these were *his* kids and that these kids were the right ones to bring to the University of Kentucky?

I guarantee you that Crawford's playing style hasn't dramatically changed, probably since high school, and Ramel Bradley's "philosophy" is well-documented! Tubby knew what he was getting!

WVRed
01-11-2006, 03:09 PM
I agree that one would be hard pressed to hang this year's problems solely upon Tubby. Not only did he expect to have both Randolph and Kelenna in the starting lineup this season, Patrick Sparks is a shell of his former self. The real problem at this point of the season is the same problem they have had since October: The UK players are too selfish to play as a teamIt is clear that there are serious personality conflicts between Rondo, Crawford and Bradley.

The problem isn't all Tubby, there is no argument there, but it is Tubby's job as the coach to correct the mess. If Tubby is expecting this kind of selfish basketball with no heart and hustle to continue, its going to be a long, hard ride through the rest of his contract.

I'm not ready to call for his head just yet, but there has to be a turning point. I was hoping we could run the table in the SEC outside of Florida, but now it looks like we will be swept by Vandy, Florida, and probably split with South Carolina and Tennessee. Georgia could go either way, as could the games in the western part of the SEC.

This is Kentucky, we expect to win, not hope.

WMR
01-11-2006, 03:12 PM
The problem isn't all Tubby, there is no argument there, but it is Tubby's job as the coach to correct the mess. If Tubby is expecting this kind of selfish basketball with no heart and hustle to continue, its going to be a long, hard ride through the rest of his contract.

I'm not ready to call for his head just yet, but there has to be a turning point. I was hoping we could run the table in the SEC outside of Florida, but now it looks like we will be swept by Vandy, Florida, and probably split with South Carolina and Tennessee. Georgia could go either way, as could the games in the western part of the SEC.

This is Kentucky, we expect to win, not hope.

WVRed,
These kids who are playing either need to start listening to Tubby's coaching or Tubby, AS THE COACH, needs to bench the "problem-children."

Blimpie
01-11-2006, 03:19 PM
Blimpie I could not agree more; Last night, it was really appalling to watch Crawford take those absolutely horrible shots at the very end there when we were losing the game... it's just such poor basketball.

Hell, I say play LeMaster and Williams if they'll at least play the right way. You know, I really am at that point.Other than Rondo, the only two players I want on the floor for UK right now are Ravi Moss and Brandon Stockton.

Too bad your tallest one of that bunch is Moss. Cause I'm not yet sold on the fact that Morris is gonna play this hard every night. He had something to prove last night, but is he gonna play with this much fire on those ho-hum SEC February games? Not so sure.

The team is simply atrocious from the foul line. It was only fitting that Vandy knocked down every big free throw last night when UK couldn't stop them from hitting threes. This won't be the last game this year we lose due to foul shot differential.

The most disappointing person on the team to me this year is Sparks. Eveybody knew he was streaky--but now he just looks plain scared to shoot the ball when he's being guarded. Given that he couldn't defend his way out of a paper sack, how does he get playing time over Moss at this point? Rekalin Sims is # 2 with a bullet on the disappointment list; however, whatever we got from him this year should be construed as a bonus, so I can't really complain too much about him.

Other than Morris, the only post player with any kind of offensive game is Jared Carter. Of course, he usually has two fouls by the time he makes his first trip to the scorer's table.

I feel that this team is really, really close to tuning Tubby out completely. When that happens, it'll make "Team Turmoil" look like Athletes in Action.

WMR
01-11-2006, 03:28 PM
See, last year Chuck was here keeping all this crap in line. You think they'd play like that on the court if Chuck was still here? He wouldn't stand for it.

That's the real glaring problem with this team, no veteran leadership whatsoever. Too bad Patrick Sparks isn't a little firebrand because he is probably the ideal candidate for that job.

You know what, though, if Tubby were smart he'd do what you're saying Blimpie and start Ravis Moss from here on out and tell him to assume that role. I think he could actually do that. But I think you gotta start benching some of these kids before anything can change meaningfully. But you gotta get some vocal veteran leadership out there RIGHT NOW, because we are looking at a rudderless ship right now.

Blimpie
01-11-2006, 03:57 PM
See, last year Chuck was here keeping all this crap in line. You think they'd play like that on the court if Chuck was still here? He wouldn't stand for it.

That's the real glaring problem with this team, no veteran leadership whatsoever. Too bad Patrick Sparks isn't a little firebrand because he is probably the ideal candidate for that job.

You know what, though, if Tubby were smart he'd do what you're saying Blimpie and start Ravis Moss from here on out and tell him to assume that role. I think he could actually do that. But I think you gotta start benching some of these kids before anything can change meaningfully. But you gotta get some vocal veteran leadership out there RIGHT NOW, because we are looking at an udderless ship right now.You mean, like a "Cow-Ship?" :D

The Ravi Moss move makes sense because they now have Morris back in the frontcourt. Moss IS a fiery leader, but it's hard to rally the troops by waving a towel on the bench. Because he was a walk-on, Moss never had anything handed to him. Some of these antics displayed by the Blue Chippers on the team must make him want to :barf:

Matt700wlw
01-11-2006, 04:04 PM
http://www.firetubbysmith.com

Blimpie
01-11-2006, 04:19 PM
http://www.firetubbysmith.comWVRed is dead right about the fact that it is Tubby's responsibility to fix this mess of a team. However, any reasonable UK fan wouldn't be calling for his head--so much as they would be supporting him in public.

Unconditional fan support of the program throughout the "speedbumps" of the past is what has made UK the winningest program in history. Unfortunately, along with this fan support, comes a completely unrealistic sense of entitlement by Cats fans everywhere.

Most astute college basketball fans know that the talent drop-off between the historically "premiere" schools (UK, Duke, UNC, Kansas, Michigan State, Louisville, UCONN, Indiana, Syracuse, etc..) and the ones that were previously known as "second-tier" programs (Gonzaga, St. Joe's, Ohio U, Princeton) is almost imperceivable.

Nowadays, the best basketball players don't spend a single day in college, so parity in D-I basketball is widespread. With the schedule that Tubby plays, the overall character makeup of, say, one McDonald's All-American might end up being the difference between losing 8 games per year versus 3 or 4.

WVRed
01-11-2006, 04:22 PM
WVRed,
These kids who are playing either need to start listening to Tubby's coaching or Tubby, AS THE COACH, needs to bench the "problem-children."

And if Tubby does not fix the problem(and he currently hasn't), then he needs to be benched, permanently.

WMR
01-11-2006, 04:22 PM
They'll be spending at least one year there from now on.

Blimpie
01-11-2006, 04:32 PM
And if Tubby does not fix the problem(and he currently hasn't), then he needs to be benched, permanently.Just to try and put things in perspective, UK is currently one game out of first place in the SEC with 15 conference games remaining.

To date, we have the losses to Iowa, Indiana, UNC, Kansas and Vanderbilt. All teams that figure to be playing during those fabled three weeks in March, right?

Let's not forget about the wins over West Virginia, Louisville, Ohio and Iona. Also all teams that figure to be in the tournament, no?

Tubby is not going anywhere this year unless he decides otherwise.

WVRed
01-11-2006, 04:32 PM
http://www.firetubbysmith.com

Sad thing is, the people running that website probably were singing Tubby's praises three years ago when Kentucky was no 1 in the nation before the NCAA tournament started(the year Dwayne Wade knocked them out in the Elite Eight).

I agree with Blimpie that it is unreasonable to call for Tubby's head right now, but if things continue like this throughout the rest of the NCAA, something will have to be done, whether it be a shakeup of the roster or even a coaching change(which we will never see).

On a side note, why Ravi Moss is still a walk-on is beyond me.

Blimpie
01-11-2006, 04:34 PM
Sad thing is, the people running that website probably were singing Tubby's praises three years ago when Kentucky was no 1 in the nation before the NCAA tournament started(the year Dwayne Wade knocked them out in the Elite Eight).

I agree with Blimpie that it is unreasonable to call for Tubby's head right now, but if things continue like this throughout the rest of the NCAA, something will have to be done, whether it be a shakeup of the roster or even a coaching change(which we will never see).

On a side note, why Ravi Moss is still a walk-on is beyond me.Don't quote me on this, but I think he took Kelenna's scholarship after he left.

Edited: Now that I think of it, I think I heard that if UK lost the Morris appeal, then Moss would get Randolph's scholarship.

WVRed
01-11-2006, 04:47 PM
Just to try and put things in perspective, UK is currently one game out of first place in the SEC with 15 conference games remaining.

To date, we have the losses to Iowa, Indiana, UNC, Kansas and Vanderbilt. All teams that figure to be playing during those fabled three weeks in March, right?

Let's not forget about the wins over West Virginia, Louisville, Ohio and Iona. Also all teams that figure to be in the tournament, no?

Tubby is not going anywhere this year unless he decides otherwise.

Its not so much the losses(or even our wins), but it is by how much. Iowa and UNC were both close, and UNC is better than they were supposed to be. But there is no excuse to lose to Indiana by 26 or Kansas by 27, regardless of where its at.

Of the four teams you mentioned that we had wins against, West Virginia was probably the only game this year where Sparks has had a remotely decent contribution, and if not for the fact that Benedict Rick scheduled the Tennessee Martin's of the world, we would have lost that game as well.

As far as Iona or Ohio, too early to tell, as they will have to win their tournaments to make it.

When you get behind, you should be able to make adjustments and fight back, not roll over and quit and get blown out by 20+ points. Even some of our wins against UCF, Ohio, and Iona were by single digits. I think that is reason for concern.

Im saying he "needs" to be, doesn't mean he will be though. Tubby has more job security than Barnhardt right now and the only way he would be leaving is if he quits, which is unlikely to happen.

WVRed
01-11-2006, 05:05 PM
Don't quote me on this, but I think he took Kelenna's scholarship after he left.

Edited: Now that I think of it, I think I heard that if UK lost the Morris appeal, then Moss would get Randolph's scholarship.

I think you're right, because last time I was in Kentucky(before the Indiana game), Oscar Combs was saying on the radio that Moss deserved a scholarship.

Blimpie
01-11-2006, 05:06 PM
I agree with you that, whenever we got down big in the IU and Kansas games, the UK effort just ceased entirely. The West Virginia win will help UK's RPI in March by virtue of the fact they just upset Villanova--who, by the way, is the real deal in my opinion. I think that Ohio has enough talent to make the tournament with an at-large bid. Very impressive squad, I feel. Say what you will about Louisville's soft pre-conference schedule...Rick wanted that game badly. Rondo simply would not be denied. Anytime that kid has a chance to stick it to Pitino, he will go the extra mile.

kyred14
01-11-2006, 09:17 PM
I agree with you that, whenever we got down big in the IU and Kansas games, the UK effort just ceased entirely. The West Virginia win will help UK's RPI in March by virtue of the fact they just upset Villanova--who, by the way, is the real deal in my opinion. I think that Ohio has enough talent to make the tournament with an at-large bid. Very impressive squad, I feel. Say what you will about Louisville's soft pre-conference schedule...Rick wanted that game badly. Rondo simply would not be denied. Anytime that kid has a chance to stick it to Pitino, he will go the extra mile.

Everyone on the team brought it hard against Louisville. We haven't seen anything close to it since. The last three games have been unbearable

Cedric
01-11-2006, 09:40 PM
Kentucky has second rate talent with first rate expectations, not cool for Tubby. They have been able to overcome talent issues for a few years because of how down the SEC has been. It looks like it's totally caught up to them early this season.

Blimpie
01-12-2006, 08:18 AM
Kentucky has second rate talent with first rate expectations, not cool for Tubby. They have been able to overcome talent issues for a few years because of how down the SEC has been. It looks like it's totally caught up to them early this season.Other than Florida, the SEC appears to be somewhat down again this year. There have been flashes of promise (Tennessee winning big at Texas), but the league is still trying to recover from their rash of early NBA departures from last summer.

Blimpie
01-12-2006, 09:02 AM
Sounds like it took Randolph Morris just one game to summarize the main problem with the UK team this year....Ravi Moss: Please feel free to pick up your captain jersey in the trainer's room....

Posted on Thu, Jan. 12, 2006

Cats at a loss
Struggling team searching for answers
By Jerry Tipton
HERALD-LEADER STAFF WRITER

After Kentucky lost to Vanderbilt Tuesday, Rajon Rondo still believed.

"I'm still very high on this team ... ," UK's point guard said. "I still expect a lot of things from this team this year and I plan to go far in the tournament."

How do the Cats get there from here? That was the basis for much of the post-game conversation.

Familiar problems continued to haunt Kentucky: poor shooting, poor passing, poor to non-existent screening, infrequent opportunities to shoot free throws (Vanderbilt made more, 21, than UK attempted, 18).

"I am at a loss for words," a subdued Ravi Moss said. "We have no choice but to fight our way out of it. We are not a bunch of punks." (I think Ravi needs to scan the entire locker room before making that declaration)

A reporter wishing to be helpful suggested a team meeting.

"We've talked," Moss said. "We've had meetings. It is time for the talk to stop. It is time to go out and play."

The players spoke of problems that go beyond basketball X's and O's.

Moss raised immaturity as an issue. With Randolph Morris back in the rotation, the Cats regularly play four sophomores.

"Our biggest problem is we don't take a mature approach to practice," Moss said. "The coaches get on us all the time about it. We've kind of acted like it wasn't a problem. It's time for us to start listening and really respond."

UK Coach Tubby Smith noted how the difficulty in recovering emotionally from the 27-point loss at Kansas three days earlier showed in the team's "OK" practices.

Rondo seemed to raise effort as a question mark when he said, "It seems like a different team heart-wise (yeah, as in...they have no heart), in the desire to win."

However, Smith saluted the team's willpower when he noted that the Cats rallied from a 14-point deficit and took their only lead of the game, 42-41, with 6:48 left.

"We came out in a real funk," Smith said. "But to come back from behind like we did and take the lead, we showed some heart there." :rolleyes:

That was when the teams veered from their traditional roles: Vandy, which had never beaten UK in Rupp Arena, shook off the blow and won; Kentucky, which seemingly always wins everywhere, made just enough missteps at crunch time to lose.

"When we had a 14-point lead, I thought if we made a couple plays, we might be able to separate," Vandy Coach Kevin Stallings said. "Instead, Moss caught fire and he made plays.

"The most pleasing thing to me is when we were down one, the way our team responded. I was really, really pleased. We came down, found a way to get good shots and we converted."

That's usually Kentucky's way. Make the key stop. Hit the clutch shot. Win.

"In my three years here, we found a way to win these games," Moss said. "We have to find a way.

"We've got to understand we are Kentucky," Moss said. "And this just made Vanderbilt's season. We have to understand we have to take everybody's best shot. I think we're taking everybody's best shot and we're not punching back.":clap:

Kentucky (10-5) took relatively better shots than at Kansas, where the shooting accuracy (24.2 percent) was the second worst in school history. Yet, the Cats made only 35.3 percent of their shots against Vandy, bringing their accuracy in the last seven games to 38.3 percent. In that same span, UK has shot 22.8 percent from three-point range (33-for-145).

Smith lamented UK's dwindling confidence.

"I thought Rajon got to the rim, but couldn't get it in," the UK coach said. "We got fouled and couldn't make the free throws. Just over and over. One thing leads to another. ... That's when your confidence is shot."

Smith also cited injuries, for instance a bad back for Rekalin Sims and tendinitis for Joe Crawford.

"Everybody handles pain differently,(translation: Crawford is a wimp)" Smith said in speaking of Crawford's sore knee. "He's fighting through it."

While UK's confidence flickered, Vanderbilt's was robust. The Commodores did not necessarily base their confidence on a sense of vulnerability in UK.

"We have a lot of confidence in ourselves," said Shan Foster, who led Vandy with 16 points. "It has nothing to do with any other team."

Kentucky had seven assists against Vanderbilt. That gave the Cats 12 in the last two games :help: (or, on average, one every 6.6 minutes).

"We're basically playing -- I don't want to say selfish -- but we don't make the extra pass," Morris said. "Or think the game like we should."
Pretty much sums things up in Big Blue Land, no?

Blimpie
01-12-2006, 01:50 PM
More post-mortem on the Cats...this time with a national perspective.

ESPN.com: Forde

Tuesday, January 10, 2006
Updated: January 11, 4:33 PM ET
Cats may be too flawed for Morris to make a difference

By Pat Forde
ESPN.com

LEXINGTON, Ky. -- The operative theme going into Kentucky's game Tuesday night in Rupp Arena was Randolph to the Rescue.
By the time the game was over and Vanderbilt had won by the Cro-Magnon score of 57-52 -- its first victory in the 30-year history of this building -- the night had become a two-hour 911 call. An urgent APB was issued for missing offense, missing poise, missing leadership, missing heart and missing talent at a tottering powerhouse.

When it was over, the only thing left was for a senior walk-on to rip his teammates and himself.

"We're just immature," said guard Ravi Moss, the only Wildcat who could shoot straight all night, scoring 16 points. "We're not serious minded. We need to concentrate on being serious about basketball. We're taking everyone's best shot and we're not punching back. … It's time for us to start listening."

Morris' presence in the middle wasn't enough for UK.

They won't like what they hear -- namely, widespread outrage in the commonwealth. A night that began with the crowd of 23,643 giving a standing ovation to prodigal center Randolph Morris when he pulled off his warm-ups and reported to the scorer's table ended with a fan yelling at the players as they walked off the court -- and other fans yelling at the fan who yelled at the players.

The crisis is officially full-blown in Big Blue Nation. Randolph to the Rescue is only a start on fixing a flawed powerhouse.

Wayward NBA aspirant Morris returned to action for the first time this season and was pretty good: 10 points and seven rebounds in 28 active minutes. But he was not the reincarnation of Dan Issel and Sam Bowie combined, which is about what it would take to turn this Kentucky team into a Final Four contender.

Right now, it's not even certain that the 10-5 Wildcats are an NCAA Tournament team. Playing in a diluted Southeastern Conference should help, especially with a fitter and more focused Morris fully engaged in the lineup. But nothing is guaranteed at this shaky juncture.

"We haven't really played Kentucky basketball," point guard Rajon Rondo said.

Might be time to start.

Morris and the Cats did not live up to the cheeky sign an insurgent Vandy fan was waving from the Kentucky student section:

"Carpe Faxum." :D

The sign referred to the fax Tubby Smith found on his desk, months after it had gone missing, that helped restore Morris' eligibility after he'd been suspended for the season by the NCAA. Miracles like that can happen -- but now Smith needs another one to fix the many things wrong with his ninth Kentucky team.

His teams have rarely been offensive masterpieces during his time in Lexington, but this is brutal. Just three days after this dysfunctional group was blown out 73-46 at Kansas, it responded with a similarly inept showing at home.

Consider the gory details:

• The Cats have failed to score 60 points the past three games. Last time that happened: 1985. For those scoring at home, that's pre-3-point era.

• The Cats' three-game point total of 157 was their lowest since the final three games of the 1981-82 season.

• The Cats have lost consecutive games for the first time in four years.

• The Cats bounced back from their debacle at Kansas by promptly falling behind 8-0 and led for a grand total of 1 minute and 16 seconds on Tuesday night. They went the first 3:05 of the game without a point, and the first 8:33 of the second half without a field goal.

With apologies to the gritty and resourceful Commodores, who could be heard celebrating raucously through the walls of their dressing room, Kentucky's meltdown is the news of the night. Just Vandy's luck that its breakthrough victory in Lexington would instead be a referendum on the neurotic nature of the home team.

But even Vanderbilt coach Kevin Stallings conceded as much after watching his team shoot 34 percent and somehow win.

"We're thrilled to not have to answer questions anymore about the streak," Stallings said. "Unfortunately, that may be one of the better parts of the victory."

The only redeeming element of the night for Kentucky was Morris. He showed some of the reasons why he was a McDonald's All-American coming out of high school: solid hands and feet, decent touch around the hoop and good agility in the paint. His offensive moves remain less refined than you'd expect after spending three months with nothing to do but work on them -- a failure of the UK coaching staff -- but the 6-foot-10, 266-pound sophomore showed what a dramatic upgrade he is over the three 7-footers on Smith's roster.

Still, his teammates couldn't find him when the game was on the line.

The last of Morris' seven shots was a tip-in basket with two minutes left that cut Vandy's lead to two, 50-48. Next trip down, with a chance to tie the game, Morris pinned his defender on the low block and called for the ball in vain.

Rondo looked at Morris but didn't like the angle for the entry pass, so he dished to Moss in the corner. Instead of dumping it inside, Moss rose for a contested 3-pointer that became a deflected airball.

"I should've thrown it to him," Moss acknowledged.

Vandy scored in transition, and Kentucky's next trip resulted in another airball, this time a drive by Joe Crawford over three defenders. Vanderbilt grabbed the rebound, got fouled and made a free throw, which pretty well cinched the game.

"That's not basketball," Smith said of his team's stagnation and repeated one-on-one forays to the basket. "Basketball is a game of teamwork. We just don't seem to be getting real movement."

The only movement Kentucky is making is down. It slid out of the AP Top 25 for the first time in five years this week, it slid to 0-1 in the SEC and it slid out onto the NCAA Tournament bubble -- a preposterous place for this program to be.

But that's where the Cats are, largely because of some wildly inconsistent recruiting by Smith. His roster contains more dead wood than the Petrified Forest.

The senior class consists of walk-on Moss, two other bench-jockey guards and starter Patrick Sparks -- a transfer from Western Kentucky whose production seems to dwindle every game. The junior class consists of JUCO transfer Rekalin Sims and four frontcourt players who should be spare parts -- yet Bobby Perry and Sheray Thomas combine to average 40 minutes per game and Lukasz Obrzut has been the starting center. The freshman class of Jared Carter and Adam Williams is a non-factor.

That leaves the decorated sophomores to carry the program -- and so far that isn't happening. Rondo, Crawford and Ramel Bradley have had their moments, but they've also taken turns sulking or sitting on the bench. And then there's Morris, the literal centerpiece to the class.

He hasn't ridden to the rescue yet. And if this fraying team leaves it all on his shoulders, he never will.

WVRed
01-12-2006, 02:39 PM
This is kinda off-topic, but I remember when Ravi Moss played in high school at University Heights and was a relative unknown. They played Rose Hill Christian, a team from Ashland, KY with a 7th grader named OJ Mayo(im sure everybody knows who that is by now). I dont remember the stats exactly, but UHA won the game pretty close, and Moss did most of the scoring.

Whats the point? Tubby Smith and Reggie Hansen were both attending this game, and the general consensus was that he was there to see Mayo. Turns out, after the season, Ravi Moss comes to play basketball for UK.

I think right now anybody in the SEC could beat UK, and that is with the Cats down this year.

Heath
01-12-2006, 03:43 PM
Maybe Louisville needs to join the SEC ;)

Has anyone speculated Bob Huggins in the chair at Kentucky? :yikes:

Supposively, Huggins was at Wright State a couple of times up here in Dayton. Maybe he wants to be there so he can live the montra of "never play a state, that's not a state".

BTW - If Andy Kennedy doesn't get the UC job, its a crying shame. Then UD can fire Brian Gregory and get Kennedy up here in Dayton.

WVRed
01-13-2006, 05:29 PM
Found this article today.

http://kentucky.scout.com/2/488039.html

With Tubby Smith's squad limited to only one legitimate post presence it is time for a radical departure from the traditional lineup featuring two big men. The time has come for Tubby to play a four-guard lineup and Randolph Morris.

Tubby Smith is going to have to do something he doesn't like doing. He's going to have to change his philosophy and make some radical changes in this team if Kentucky is going to regroup and play in the NCAA Tournament.

He can't wait any longer to admit he's only got one power forward or center who deserves significant minutes and that's Randolph Morris. So rather than continue to try and find ways to get some production out of his other inside players, he needs to make a change.

Start Morris and four guards. Take Rajon Rondo, Joe Crawford, Patrick Sparks, Ramel Bradley and Ravi Moss and put four of those players on the court with Morris. Sure, it will cause defensive mismatches. Sure, it could cause rebounding problems. But what could it hurt?

This team has problems. Big, big problems. So why not change and force an opponent to have to adapt its defense to counter UK's quickness on offense and create some havoc with an aggressive, pressing defense?

Smith normally adjusts his lineup to neutralize an opponent's strengths. Nothing wrong with that when you can do it and Smith has won a lot of games that way. But that's not going to work this year because the Cats are not getting quality interior play on a consistent basis. So make a change.

Let the smaller, quicker lineup rip and run. Put the pressure on the opponent. Give Morris a chance to show he can carry a bigger rebounding load and play some defense.

Maybe it won't work. But after the way UK has played the last month, why not give it a try.

"Actually, maybe it would help us," senior Ravi Moss said when asked about a smaller lineup. "That's not my decision, but we have to do something. We have too many guys standing around. If that would shake us up and get us going, it might be worth a try."

Smith could still go back to a more conventional lineup at times during games. But 15 games into the season, it's obvious this team needs drastic changes and with the limited options Smith has, going small seems to be a viable option.

KronoRed
01-13-2006, 08:02 PM
Has anyone speculated Bob Huggins in the chair at Kentucky? :yikes:

That's not a bad idea.

WVRed
01-13-2006, 10:11 PM
That's not a bad idea.

Considering UK is in the running for the Mayo trio, thats not a bad idea.

I just dont like the idea of having our cheerleaders doing an arrest sequence for a halftime show.

KronoRed
01-13-2006, 11:22 PM
Maybe Louisville needs to join the SEC ;)

I've been in favor of tossing Vandy out and adding Louisville for awhile :devil:

WVRed
01-14-2006, 03:15 PM
And Kentucky loses to Alabama, 68-64.

Three game losing streak.

Blimpie
01-14-2006, 03:30 PM
I think I heard that the back to back HOME conference losses are a first since 1985. The Ronald Reagan era Cats were not easy on the eyes, either.

Reds4Life
01-14-2006, 03:32 PM
Rondo held the ball for about 3 seconds on the inbound with 6 seconds left on the shot clock with about 32 seconds to go, right after a time out. I usually don't like to get on Tubby because he take enough crap from UK fans, but geez. The coaching staff needs to make sure everyone knows what the clock is.

WVRed
01-14-2006, 03:40 PM
I saw Glory Road(see my other post) last night, and right now I think I wasted my money.

UK lost in that movie and I paid money to see it. Why do that when I can watch it for free?

WMR
01-14-2006, 10:54 PM
Not having your players aware of the shot clock situation when coming out of a FULL TIMEOUT is just about the worst offence that a coaching staff can commit, especially when it is a possession that was one of the most pivotal of the entire game.

The team played like an actual team that first half. The four guard lineup with Morris was very effective and was the lineup that built the 9 point lead.

If Patrick Sparks starts next game, there needs to be an official inquiry.
PUT IN RAVI, TUBBY!!! OPEN YOUR EYES
Sparks looks like he's expecting a spanking from his mom at any second out there. They commented how he scored 26 against Alabama last season; my how things have changed.

Second half, the team fell apart and reverted to their bad habits.

Morris should be required to have at least one touch of the ball on every UK possession. Everything in this offense needs to start with his possession of the ball in the post. On that note, some of those post feeds from the guards today were absolutely pathetic.

Some improvement, I guess, but this team needs to win their next game bad.

kyred14
01-14-2006, 11:11 PM
We're just going to have to accept it, this team isn't very good. Not alot of talent.

WMR
01-14-2006, 11:13 PM
We're just going to have to accept it, this team isn't very good. Not alot of talent.

I agree that this team is not the most-talented that we have ever witnessed. That's no excuse, however, for them to not at the VERY least play the game the right way. If we play like a team and get out butts whipped, I can live with it; I just want to see some good, consistently unselfish basketball out of these guys and this coaching staff.

kyred14
01-14-2006, 11:13 PM
Rondo held the ball for about 3 seconds on the inbound with 6 seconds left on the shot clock with about 32 seconds to go, right after a time out. I usually don't like to get on Tubby because he take enough crap from UK fans, but geez. The coaching staff needs to make sure everyone knows what the clock is.

I bet my life Tubby let him know the situation. However, Rondo has his own agenda.

Jpup
01-14-2006, 11:43 PM
Has anyone speculated Bob Huggins in the chair at Kentucky?

That will happen when hell freezes over. I couldn't care less, but there is simply no way that takes place.

WVRed
01-15-2006, 08:13 AM
Did anyone else see this?

http://www.planetati.com/pitino.jpg

RedRoser
01-15-2006, 04:42 PM
Okay, I can make out the last two words, "Pitino back!" What's the first word, "PLEASEGODBRING"??? :evil:
Seriously, though, I cannot make out the first word. Can anybody tell what it is? :eek:

---'Roser

WVRed
01-15-2006, 10:03 PM
Okay, I can make out the last two words, "Pitino back!" What's the first word, "PLEASEGODBRING"??? :evil:
Seriously, though, I cannot make out the first word. Can anybody tell what it is? :eek:

---'Roser

It says "Bring"

WVRed
01-17-2006, 08:07 PM
20 Questions to ask Tubby about the "Unwatchables"

http://www.news-expressky.com/articles/2006/01/13/sports/03rick.txt

After watching the last three or four UK games, we're all in need of a chuckle or two. That being the case, let's get the weekend started with 20 questions we'd love to ask Tubby Smith, the unfortunate coach of this team sadly, yet correctly dubbed, “The Unwatchables.”

€ Is it possible that when Chuck Hayes left, he took all of the heart out of Wildcat Lodge?

€ Do you regret taking all three of your 7-foot projects? Wouldn't one, or, two years apart, two have been plenty?

€ Have you considered that Reggie Hanson may not be the answer when it comes to coaching the post players?

€ Ever considered a position change? Not for you, or your swing players, but given the play you're getting on a nightly basis from Bobby Perry (the poor man's Chuck Hayes) and Sheray Thomas (the poor man's Antoine Walker) changing the “four” position from “power” forward to “weak” forward?

€ Did you ever think you'd see a Kentucky team play with less pride?

€ When did the torch pass from UK basketball meaning more to the customers than it does to the actual team?

€ Ever consider that the last time Kentucky basketball was in this shape, the rebuilding project focused on three in-state players (Pelphrey, Feldhaus and Farmer) and a classmate who spent more time in Lexington than his native Indiana (Woods)?

€ Do you dread those Monday night callers because you know they're right but can't publicly agree with them and therefore publicly “dis” your team?

€ Has the name Chris Lofton become the bane of your recruiting existence?

€ Ever walk into an empty room in your house and scream, “MOVE! For the love of God, will somebody please move without the basketball!”?

€ When you had somebody drive Lukasz Obrzut to the airport for his Christmas flight home to Poland, were you tempted to have them tell him, “You know, Big ‘Woo', there's really no need to rush back”?

€ Do you wander into a UK women's practice, see Mickey DeMoss and think, “Now there's a job I'd love to have”?

€ Do you ever look out at the 23,000 people who come to your every home game and think, “My goodness, you people are insane”?

€ Ever thought about lining your team up and making them apologize, individually, to Bill Keightley?

€ Do you ever want to go to a grade school game to see a team that can actually shoot the basketball?

€ Do you ever look at the expanding waistline of Patrick Sparks and realize he's your real McDonald's All-American?

€ Ever want to talk to your starting guard combo of Rajon Rondo and Sparks and say, “Guys, for the love of Pete, lighten up?”

€ Have you ever called Rich Brooks for advice?

€ Ever thought about hiring an offensive coordinator?

€ Ever think when you sold your soul to get Randolph Morris back, this is what you'd get in return?

WMR
01-17-2006, 09:53 PM
€ Do you ever look at the expanding waistline of Patrick Sparks and realize he's your real McDonald's All-American?

Too, too funny!!!

When will Tubby finally stick Sparks on the bench and let the much-more deserving Ravi get his chance to start????

WVRed
01-17-2006, 10:01 PM
I didnt think it could get any worse, but it has.

Tubby has hired a sports psychologist to watch the team. Even Jay Bilas was making fun of it.

Oh, and we are beating Georgia by 3 at the half. If we lose this game, the fans will need therapy.:bang:

WMR
01-17-2006, 10:16 PM
Jay Bilas said all they need now is to watch "Brokeback Mountain" and have a good cry together. LMAO.

macro
01-17-2006, 11:37 PM
Someone sent me this in an email today...

cumberlandreds
01-18-2006, 01:41 PM
Where are all the Tubby bashers today? Gone away until the next loss?

WVRed
01-18-2006, 02:16 PM

Don't push your luck. One win in the SEC does not a season make, especially against a young Georgia team that is still rebuilding from the days of Jim Harrick. Remember, we were only up by 3 at the half.

If we can rattle off some more wins against equal or superior SEC foes and give Florida or Tennessee a good ride, I will be happy.

WMR
01-19-2006, 11:16 AM
Georgia is *really* bad. I saw some real positives from that game; especially the way everyone seemed to be really enthused and "together" but WVRed could not have said it better: We've got some tough games ahead

WVRed
02-08-2006, 08:05 AM

Sorry to bump this thread back up, but I wonder where all the Tubby supporters are right now.;)

cumberlandreds
02-08-2006, 08:17 AM
He will be back next season. He's paying for his past recruiting blunders. He paid dearly last with Lofton lighting them up for 31. Unless Tubby decides to leave on his own accord he won't be fired for one subpar season.

macro
02-08-2006, 10:03 AM
There were rumors posted at the Charlotte Bobcats site (or at least that's where the link was) that had Tubby going to coach that NBA team. I'm sure that's all they are, though, is the annual springtime rumors.j

Some are now saying that UK could very well not even make the tournament. Even if they do, they're likely to face first-round elimination. The heat is going to get hotter in Lexington.

Blimpie
02-08-2006, 10:13 AM
You can count me in as a Tubby supporter. There are serious character flaws within several of these players...the kind of flaws that don't necessarily reveal themselves on recruiting visits. I can't lay all of that at the feet of Tubby Smith.

When slamming his recent recruiting efforts, please don't forget that Tubby (1) had Kelenna Azubuike was penciled in for 10-12 shots per game this year and (2) Randolph Morris missed 50% of the season--I think half the losses were before he was reinstated. I agree that Tubby left himself very exposed with the recruiting; however, I feel that much of that is cyclical with major programs like Kentucky, Kansas, UCLA, Indiana. The only programs that seem immune to that are UNC and Duke. That alone burns many of the Tubby bashers in these parts.

As far as Chris Lofton is concerned, it wasn't like UK didn't appreciate his skills. It was strictly a "numbers thing" (remember Kelenna was in the lineup?) for Tubby and at the time he was being recruited, he could not be guaranteed any playing time at UK. It should suprise absolutely nobody that he plays his best against UK--he did last year as well. All guys want to stick it to the team that passes on them. If you don't believe me, ask Rick Pitino if he appreciates the contributions that Rajon Rondo brings to the UK team when they play Louisville.

Tubby is still one of the top 5 college coaches in the land. Over the last three years, UK has won more games (87) than ANY OTHER PROGRAM. Period. What we are dealing with is simply a ridiculous level of expectations for this program. I don't know another coach in the land who could mesh these egocentric personalities into a cohesive team. Not in the course of three months anyway.

WMR
02-08-2006, 04:46 PM
Quit wasting scholarships on wastes like Woo, Shagari, and Brandon Stockton and maybe you'll be able to offer scholarships to legit studs like Chris Lofton. Every single person who saw him in the Sweet 16 (myself included) knew he was a stud and would continue to be one as his game progressed.

I'm not blaming Tubby for the actual play of this team, but to give him a total pass on the recruiting gaffes that led to this crap isn't fair either.

Cedric
02-08-2006, 08:24 PM
You can count me in as a Tubby supporter. There are serious character flaws within several of these players...the kind of flaws that don't necessarily reveal themselves on recruiting visits. I can't lay all of that at the feet of Tubby Smith.

When slamming his recent recruiting efforts, please don't forget that Tubby (1) had Kelenna Azubuike was penciled in for 10-12 shots per game this year and (2) Randolph Morris missed 50% of the season--I think half the losses were before he was reinstated. I agree that Tubby left himself very exposed with the recruiting; however, I feel that much of that is cyclical with major programs like Kentucky, Kansas, UCLA, Indiana. The only programs that seem immune to that are UNC and Duke. That alone burns many of the Tubby bashers in these parts.

As far as Chris Lofton is concerned, it wasn't like UK didn't appreciate his skills. It was strictly a "numbers thing" (remember Kelenna was in the lineup?) for Tubby and at the time he was being recruited, he could not be guaranteed any playing time at UK. It should suprise absolutely nobody that he plays his best against UK--he did last year as well. All guys want to stick it to the team that passes on them. If you don't believe me, ask Rick Pitino if he appreciates the contributions that Rajon Rondo brings to the UK team when they play Louisville.

Tubby is still one of the top 5 college coaches in the land. Over the last three years, UK has won more games (87) than ANY OTHER PROGRAM. Period. What we are dealing with is simply a ridiculous level of expectations for this program. I don't know another coach in the land who could mesh these egocentric personalities into a cohesive team. Not in the course of three months anyway.

No offense, but having the best win % the last three years isn't everything. The SEC has been very weak.

Blimpie
02-09-2006, 06:00 PM
No offense, but having the best win % the last three years isn't everything. The SEC has been very weak.Just because the SEC has not performed well in the NCAA tourney over the last three seasons does not mean that the league itself was "weak" during that same period. If you look closely at the league RPI over that same time period (2002-2005), the SEC acquitted itself nicely relative to the Big 10, ACC, Big East and the PAC-10. Actually, the SEC has been decimated by early pro departures moreso than it has been victimized by a lack of overall talent.

In case you weren't aware, UK's non-conference schedule over that same time frame was simply brutal. Those games included home and home series with: UNC, Michigan State, Indiana, Louisville, Notre Dame and Kansas.

Regardless of your assertion about the legitimacy of Tubby's wins, the fact is that he won more games over the last three years than any other coach. Period.

macro
02-13-2006, 12:08 AM
A friend of mine said in an email tonight that the New York Daily News had said that UK would target Villanova's Jay Wright if Tubby left for the Charlotte Bobcats, as has been rumored. I didn't write him back to ask for a link (he wouldn't get the message until tomorrow night anyway), but I couldn't find anything about it on the Web. He's a very sensible guy and wouldn't have said it if it were pure nonsense, but at the same time, he did say that it was a rumor, and we know how those can be.

Can any of you who are in-the-know confirm that a) the Bobcats are considering Tubby and/or b) that UK would target Wright?

Revering4Blue
02-13-2006, 04:01 AM
The talk here in the Carolinas is that Bobcats coach/GM Bernie Bickerstaff is going to concentrate on G.M duties only following the conclusion of this season.
But I've read nothing except the New York daily news report that even mentions Tubby Smith as a candidate.

More than likely, former Hornets coach Paul Silas who is well-liked in Charlotte will get the nod, given everything I've read/heard in the Raleigh/Durham area from folks in Charlotte.

An objective opinion about the Kentucky situation: Keep Tubby Smith. I agree with Blimpie that it is just a cyclical cycle.

WMR
02-13-2006, 12:18 PM
The talk here in the Carolinas is that Bobcats coach/GM Bernie Bickerstaff is going to concentrate on G.M duties only following the conclusion of this season.
But I've read nothing except the New York daily news report that even mentions Tubby Smith as a candidate.

More than likely, former Hornets coach Paul Silas who is well-liked in Charlotte will get the nod, given everything I've read/heard in the Raleigh/Durham area from folks in Charlotte.

An objective opinion about the Kentucky situation: Keep Tubby Smith. I agree with Blimpie that it is just a cyclical cycle.

Yeah we've made so many final fours in the past ten years with Tubby's recruits.

WVRed
02-13-2006, 02:53 PM
If im not mistaken, Wright has had a recruiting violations past.

Actually its 8 years, as Tubby did not take over until 1998. You can't blame everything on this team though on Randolph Morris being ineligible for the first half of the season and Azubuike declaring early. Even with the departures, there is no excuse for the kind of play we have seen from the "Unwatchables" this year.

Blimpie
02-13-2006, 04:37 PM
If im not mistaken, Wright has had a recruiting violations past.

Actually its 8 years, as Tubby did not take over until 1998. You can't blame everything on this team though on Randolph Morris being ineligible for the first half of the season and Azubuike declaring early. Even with the departures, there is no excuse for the kind of play we have seen from the "Unwatchables" this year.I am not ready to say that ALL of this year's problems stem from the Azubuike/Morris saga. However, I get a little tired of people using hindsight is lieu of realistic observations.

When Tubby struggled with optimizing his talent 4-5 years ago (see: the first incarnation of the "Ten-Loss Tubby" nickname), all you would ever hear around these parts was UK was never going to improve until Tubby started landing McDonald's All-Americans once again. Lo and behold, Tubby lands three of the elusive boogers in one class and everybody feels fat and happy in Big Blue land.

That's right, there was no mention of Chris Lofton being passed over for a scholarship. No mention of what kind of class Pitino was bringing in down the road in Louisville. You know why? because we had Rondo, Crawford and Morris coming in as freshmen. We had Patrick Sparks coming off his transfer year. Throw in Ramel Bradley and people around here were the picture of content.

Now that those prized recruits can't stand the sight of each other in the UK locker room, Tubby has a seriously toxic chemistry problem that he can't coach his way out of...Now Chris Lofton goes white-hot for a few games and now HE is the "choosen one" that "got away" because Tubby doesn't know how to recruit. Give me a break please. This is nothing more than a bad case of Monday morning Quarterbacking.

By he way, if Tubby leaves, it will be on HIS terms. He has the FULL support of the Athletic Department. If he ever decided to bolt, you can bet your bottom dollar that it's not going to be for a putrid team like the Charlotte Bobcats.

WMR
02-13-2006, 05:06 PM
A good coach would be able to identify toxic personalities before they arrive on campus. Sure, all us fans were extremely enthused, but we weren't the ones meeting with these kids, finding out about their games, and deciding whether they'd be willing to play within my system.

Are you seriously suggesting that the games and personalities of these kids wasn't well known? Duke gets talented players, but they get solid citizens as well. That used to be the type of player that could be attracted to UK. Apparently not any longer.

Why don't we see any of these punks at Duke??? Maybe these are the only McDonald's All-Americans that Tubby could get and he was able to get them for a reason, b/c every other top school recognized their deficiencies and passed. And for the record, the only reason we got Rondo in the first place is because Pitino was so hot for Sebastian Telfair. If Pitino had offered Rondo a scholarship, he would be at Louisville right now.

You think we're seeing some poor basketball right now? Imagine a Rondo-less UK.

WMR
02-13-2006, 05:09 PM
The Athletic Department doesn't pick the head coach of Kentucky the Alumni Association does and Tubby Smith is not bigger than the program.

WVRed
02-13-2006, 06:46 PM
By he way, if Tubby leaves, it will be on HIS terms. He has the FULL support of the Athletic Department. If he ever decided to bolt, you can bet your bottom dollar that it's not going to be for a putrid team like the Charlotte Bobcats.

Nobody is questioning that, but I think you are underestimating the Bobcats. This is only their second year in the league, and they have a pretty good young nucleus that they have built around.(Okafor, Felton, and May). They are in a prime position to land Adam Morrison, Rudy Gay or LaMarcus Alridge. This isn't the Vancouver Grizzlies here. I really don't see how you can label them "putrid".

If Tubby does leave UK, it will be in the same form as Matt Doherty and Bill Guthredge left North Carolina, unable to live up to the pressure of Dean Smith(or in our case, Adolph Rupp).

WVRed
02-13-2006, 08:17 PM
For those not watching the UConn-Villanova game, color me impressed by Villanova. I think with their defense, they could reach the Final Four this year.

WMR
02-14-2006, 02:29 AM
CATS' 'D' M.I.A.
Last-minute rally goes for naught

By Jerry Tipton
HERALD-LEADER STAFF WRITER

NASHVILLE - Vanderbilt made a season-high 58.8 percent of its shots in beating Kentucky 84-81 yesterday.
When asked how such accuracy played upon his mind, UK guard Ramel Bradley went elemental in his response.
"I mean, where's the defense?" he said. "Where was the good contest (of shots)? The good communication? Talking? Toughness?"
Not in Memorial Gym. Vandy shot better than any UK opponent in 12 years. Or since Syracuse made 60 percent of its shots (36 of 60) in beating the Cats 93-85 on Feb. 12, 1994.
Yet when absolutely, positively necessary, Kentucky showed it can play harassing, tenacious defense. That came with Vandy ahead 82-72 and only 90 seconds left. In that time, UK twice got within three points of the Commodores.
Vandy, which had made a habit of losing close games (four losses by a total of 13 points since Jan. 18), almost gave Kentucky the victory. But UK couldn't take it. Fouled intentionally, Rajon Rondo missed two free throws with 24.7 seconds left. Then, on the ensuing possession, Rondo and Bradley missed three-point heaves.
"That's been our M.O.," UK Coach Tubby Smith said. "I think it's a matter of when desperation sets in."
Kentucky, which got swept by Vandy for the first time since 1974, fell to 15-9 overall and 5-5 in the Southeastern Conference. The latter marked the first time since 1989-90 that UK was at .500 in the league after 10 games.
UK's third straight loss featured a universal trait of struggling teams: Fix one leak, then lament water seeping in from another crack in the boat.
Against Vandy, Kentucky moved the ball better on offense and went to its strength inside. Alas, Randolph Morris' foul trouble nullified the benefit.
But UK's defense, the program's calling card under Smith, generously gave way. Vandy had averaged 67.6 points in league play until scoring the second-most points of the season against Kentucky.
"We seem to get one thing right, which was the way we played offense," Smith said. "But we really didn't play defense on the three (nine of 14) or backcuts."
Smith then cited a statistic: Nine of Vandy's 12 second-half baskets were layups or dunks.
"You know, there's not much you can say," he said. "Besides, 'Fellas, what's going on? Let's go back and re-work it.'
"It's all predicated on giving that effort. Defense is all about giving second effort, contesting shots, moving your feet. To play defense, you have to have desire and heart."
UK belatedly showed those qualities down the stretch. Behind much of the game, the Cats trailed 82-72 when Vandy point guard Alex Gordon made two free throws with 1:28 left.
Vandy began trading UK layups for time off the clock. One problem: UK forced a five-second call, and then Rondo deflected an inbounds pass that landed in the hands of UK's Joe Crawford. Patrick Sparks swished a three-pointer and suddenly Vandy led only 82-79 with 1:06 left.
Game on.
"We just want to win, man," a subdued Ravi Moss said of the motivation that spurred Kentucky's comeback. "That's all it is. We don't want interviews like this, where everybody asks us why. We want interviews where everybody's happy."
That appeared likely when Rondo poked the ball from Gordon and the Vandy player reached out and grabbed Rondo to prevent a breakaway. The intentional foul gave UK two free throws and the ensuing possession with 24.7 seconds left to overcome an 84-81 deficit.
But Rondo, a 47.6-percent free-thrower in league play coming into the game, barely got the first shot to reach the front of the rim. The second bounced off the back of the rim.
Vandy called time to plot a defense on the ensuing possession. UK hoped to free leading scorers Sparks (17 points) or Bradley (14 points) for a three-pointer. Or get the ball to Morris for a quick score inside.
Instead, Sparks held the ball, presumably waiting for one of the options to appear, then passed to Rondo outside the top of the key. Rondo, a career 29.3 percent three-point shooter, missed from 23 feet.
When asked about the potential five-point trip downcourt, Smith interrupted when the questioner said, "You came up ... "
The UK coach completed the thought. "Empty," he said. "Nothing. It doesn't give you many options when you miss two free throws. Now they know you're going for three. Or you have to throw it inside. ...We didn't even throw it to (Morris).
"You know, the vision is not there. The decision-making is not there. You've got to see it. You've got to visualize it. And you've got to make the play. Either it's a want-to or (his voice trailed off)."
Kentucky got one last chance. A scramble to rebound Rondo's miss took the ball out of bounds off Vandy with 2.1 seconds left.
UK wanted Sparks to shoot, Moss said. But Vandy defended Sparks. "We had to kind of ad lib," Moss said.
Bradley missed badly from the left corner at the buzzer.
"I shot it trying to draw a foul," he said. "I didn't bait him enough. I just had to throw it up."
When assessing this loss, Bradley did not focus on the squandered chances in the final 30 seconds.
"We shouldn't have been in that predicament in the first place," he said.
Blame the defense.

You're telling me that THAT'S the reason there wasn't better end-game execution?? They wanted to get Sparks a 3 and when they GUARDED HIM--WOW, who would have thought they'd do that--there was no Option B???

Watching that final 24, they didn't run a play at all. Sparks was waiting for.... something, I guess for his man to back off of him or something. Jeez.

Tubby, please don't try to blame Rondo's missed free throws for why there wasn't at the very least a decent 3 point attempt to end the game. That's so lame.

Blimpie
02-14-2006, 10:39 AM
I don't think he was saying that was the reason they lost the game. His point was that if you didn't NEED a 3 pointer simply to tie the game, then it is alot harder for the defense to call a play against your team. Makes sense to me.

If Rondo even hits ONE of those free throws, then you have to defend the inside post (Morris) on the ensuing inbounds play. If they were to double Morris (which I would not have done), then at least your 3 point attempt comes with a softer defense thrown at it.

My whole take is that if Rondo doesn't make that steal with twenty seconds left, then there is no intentional foul and UK loses by 6-8 points. Missed free throws have killed UK all season; however, in this instance, they are a non-story.

I am more frustrated by the overall lack of energy that this team displays on a regular basis. That is, until their collective backs are placed against the wall.

Blimpie
02-14-2006, 10:42 AM
The Athletic Department doesn't pick the head coach of Kentucky the Alumni Association does and Tubby Smith is not bigger than the program.While the AD might not be the sole authority in the matter, it wouyld be naive to assume they don't have significant input in the matter. To that end, you will not find a bigger Tubby supporter than Mitch Barnhardt.

macro
02-14-2006, 11:11 AM
Yep, Barnhardt is content with Rich Brooks, so why wouldn't he be happy with Tubby?

Blimpie
02-14-2006, 11:12 AM
A good coach would be able to identify toxic personalities before they arrive on campus. Sure, all us fans were extremely enthused, but we weren't the ones meeting with these kids, finding out about their games, and deciding whether they'd be willing to play within my system.

Are you seriously suggesting that the games and personalities of these kids wasn't well known? Duke gets talented players, but they get solid citizens as well. That used to be the type of player that could be attracted to UK. Apparently not any longer.

Why don't we see any of these punks at Duke??? Maybe these are the only McDonald's All-Americans that Tubby could get and he was able to get them for a reason, b/c every other top school recognized their deficiencies and passed. And for the record, the only reason we got Rondo in the first place is because Pitino was so hot for Sebastian Telfair. If Pitino had offered Rondo a scholarship, he would be at Louisville right now.

You think we're seeing some poor basketball right now? Imagine a Rondo-less UK.I get it...so now Tubby is not even described as a "good coach" anymore. Wow WilyMo, are you sure you don't live on the corner of Rose & Euclid Avenues in Lexington? It is well documented that Rondo had his heart set on Louisville all along and fell into our laps. However, Crawford and Morris didn't scare anybody away with their "deficiencies." Morris was recruited by many of the big schools--but he made it clear early on in the process that he was either staying at home (Georgia Tech) or he was going to UK. At that point, it was pretty easy for the other big schools to lay back and claim "we never were very hot on him anyway." That way, those schools save face and can pursue the remaining recruiting possiblilities as though they were their only choices all along. Happens every day on the recruiting front. At the time, signing Crawford was an absolute coup for Tubby. Tom Izzo didn't mind his "deficiencies" too much. Did anybody in Big Blue nation know then that he would end up being a ball-hogging malcontent?

With premiere programs like UK--the head coach delegates quite a bit of recruiting duties until the school is ready to close the deal. Ultimately, choosing the proper recruits is his/her responsibility. However, he's not out there on his recruiting visits giving ink-blot tests and asking them what kind of tree they would like to be. Both parties are on their best behaviors during recruiting visits. You can talk about playing time, classwork, travel schedules, etc... until the cows come home. But unless you plan on carrying all of the future teammates with you on a bus to go sit on momma's living room sofa--how are you ever going to be sure how one particular recruit will mesh with the other players? You don't. It's a crapshoot at best.

That's why the Dukes of the world come out smelling like a rose. They have a much higher academic standard than do most schools (obviously that includes UK). Their recruits are--by and large--better citizens on and off the court because of their levels of maturity. Maturity can mitigate many, many warts on a player's overall game. This maturity that they have was needed in their lives LONG before they began traversing the AAU trails. It all starts in that very same living room I spoke about earlier.

UK is not UNLV. They are not going after the dregs of the Earth just for the sake of nice statistics. College recruiting doesn't allow much in the way of a margin of error these days. You are lucky to sign any McDonald’s All-Americans—forget about three in one class. If you get the chance, then you take it. Please just remember that for every Marvin Stone and Joe Crawford there is a Tayshaun Prince and Keith Bogans.

Blimpie
02-14-2006, 11:41 AM
Yep, Barnhardt is content with Rich Brooks, so why wouldn't he be happy with Tubby?Macro: I hope you are not comparing Tubby's resume to Rich Brooks at this juncture...:D IT hasn't gotten THAT bad yet, has it?

This may be off topic somewhat, but I don't think Barnhardt is particularly entranced with Brooks. I simply think the university has become a little weary from paying gents NOT to coach in Lexington (Curry & Mumme).

When Brooks took the job, nobody was beating the door down to coach a probation laden squad that just lost a ton of starters the year before. I think Barnhardt knew Brooks was desperate to coach again--anywhere--and had intended on having him keep the seat warm through the very lean probation years. Those days are over and Brooks is on a very short leash. I mean VERY short leash.

If you look at the football recruits that UK has coming in this year, it is almost time to start talking about spring practice....

macro
02-14-2006, 01:53 PM
Macro: I hope you are not comparing Tubby's resume to Rich Brooks at this juncture...:D IT hasn't gotten THAT bad yet, has it?

This may be off topic somewhat, but I don't think Barnhardt is particularly entranced with Brooks. I simply think the university has become a little weary from paying gents NOT to coach in Lexington (Curry & Mumme).

When Brooks took the job, nobody was beating the door down to coach a probation laden squad that just lost a ton of starters the year before. I think Barnhardt knew Brooks was desperate to coach again--anywhere--and had intended on having him keep the seat warm through the very lean probation years. Those days are over and Brooks is on a very short leash. I mean VERY short leash.

If you look at the football recruits that UK has coming in this year, it is almost time to start talking about spring practice....

Nah, I wasn't comparing Tubby to Brooks at all. And I guess I should ease up on the Brooks complaints, because you have explained the reason he's still around before. I think you're right about him, so hopefully it will turn out well either way, now. Either UK will win or Brooks will be gone, both desirable outcomes.

Heath
02-14-2006, 02:13 PM
Either UK will win or Brooks will be gone, both desirable outcomes.

With the way Spurrier in South Carolina and Bobby Johnson in Vanderbilt are waking up those dormant football programs, one would think that Kentucky is bottom-feeding for a while in the SEC Football Eastern Division.

It's sad too. One of the prettiest venues to watch college football.

kyred14
02-14-2006, 02:36 PM
With the way Spurrier in South Carolina and Bobby Johnson in Vanderbilt are waking up those dormant football programs, one would think that Kentucky is bottom-feeding for a while in the SEC Football Eastern Division.

It's sad too. One of the prettiest venues to watch college football.

Don't worry about Vandy. Now that Cutler is gone, they're back to the doormat for another 20 years.

Heath
02-14-2006, 02:54 PM
Don't worry about Vandy. Now that Cutler is gone, they're back to the doormat for another 20 years.

I wouldn't discount Bobby Johnson's ability to recruit good students with chips on their shoulders. It worked for Randy Walker in Northwestern for a while.

I do doubt the direction of Vanderbilt's athletic department.

Blimpie
02-14-2006, 03:54 PM
I wouldn't discount Bobby Johnson's ability to recruit good students with chips on their shoulders. It worked for Randy Walker in Northwestern for a while.

I do doubt the direction of Vanderbilt's athletic department.Pretty impressive what Vandy has been able to accomplish in all varsity sports this year given the fact that they HAVE no athletic department to speak of...

Blimpie
02-23-2006, 06:51 PM
Well, it appears as though Tubby finally has the team's attention on the defensive side of the ball. While I was extremely impressed with UK's showing last Saturday in Columbia, you can't really read too much into last night's matchup with Ole Miss. They ran into a buzzsaw last night without Curtis. My thoughts from last night's spectacle:

1) Anytime you can hold a team to under 25% from the field for 40 minutes, the effort is really there by all five guys on the court.

2) I know it is an aberration, but it was nice to see them hit their first 14 free throws on the night. Not sure, but I'll bet they haven't hit their first 5 to start a game all year long.

3) Rondo seems to have accepted his role on both ends of the floor. Gambling on the defensive end of the ball is what got him benched, he stayed in position all night long last night. On the offensive side, twelve assists--zero turnovers last night. That's gonna work for me.

4) Stockton and Moss continue to set the tone. I have been pimping these to guys to start for FAR longer than these past three games; thus, I am well pleased with what I have seen. They still aren't playing more average minutes than the "Big 3" that were benched. I am fine with that. I just love those 3 guys coming off the bench (especially Crawford) with that energy.

If it ain't broke.....Stockton taking a charge 5 seconds into the game ensures he will stay in Tubby's good graces. Moss is always in proper position on both ends of the court and has a lightning quick release from beyond the arc. I could probably stomach Morris regaining his starting spot over Woo at this point, but at least he isn't getting into foul trouble in the first half anymore.

5) Lots of folks around here have been crying about the lack of playing time being given to Carter and Miller thusfar. All I can say is, ugh. If anybody watched last night's second half and still thinks that those two guys are ready--they need to put down the crackpipe.

I realize it was garbage time, but Ole Miss had completely mailed it in for the last eight minutes when the two freshman entered the game. Carter looked completely petrified to foul--so he ran away from rebounds. Miller tried too many stupid and highly difficult passes. I know that the Morris thing kinda kept Tubby in limbo until December regarding the center position. But, looking back on it, BOTH of those two guys should have been redshirted this season.

Basically, the Cats need 2 out of 3 of these final games to make me sleep better at nights. I would be absolutely shocked if UK won in Knoxville this year. In fact, I smell a double-digit loss for the Cats that night. I'll say that they outlast LSU (very thin bench) in Baton Rouge Saturday and squeak past a suddenly shaky Florida team here on Senior Day. That--my friends--would equal 20 wins going into the SEC tourney. Wouldn't that be unthinkable only 10 days ago?

Whatever happens in these last three BRUTAL games will define the legacy of this team--and quite possibly it's coach.

Matt700wlw
02-23-2006, 07:30 PM
Tubby's not going anywhere...unless it's the NBA

WVRed
02-23-2006, 07:33 PM
I see one win in the last three games, and that is the Florida game. I'm sure UK fans will give Joakim Noah a humbling experience(as if CJ Watson didn't do that last night). Tennessee is white-hot right now and LSU is a more talented team overall(Thomas, Mitchell, and Big Baby Davis) than UK, regardless of depth.

Who is Miller? I'm looking at UK's roster right now and I don't see him.:confused:

I'm just hoping Tubby will get a head start on recruiting for 2007, that is going to be the year that defines the direction this program heads in.

kyred14
02-23-2006, 08:54 PM
I see one win in the last three games, and that is the Florida game. I'm sure UK fans will give Joakim Noah a humbling experience(as if CJ Watson didn't do that last night). Tennessee is white-hot right now and LSU is a more talented team overall(Thomas, Mitchell, and Big Baby Davis) than UK, regardless of depth.

Who is Miller? I'm looking at UK's roster right now and I don't see him.:confused:

I'm just hoping Tubby will get a head start on recruiting for 2007, that is going to be the year that defines the direction this program heads in.

I think he meant Williams. He sucks, he will either leave or Tubby should pull his scholly to get a 6th recruit. Shag and Rondo/Bradley will be gone next year I would imagine. The only way I see Rondo staying is if he gets hurt before the draft. In the very slight chance Rondo stays, I expect Bradley to transfer.

WVRed
02-24-2006, 07:43 PM
I think he meant Williams. He sucks, he will either leave or Tubby should pull his scholly to get a 6th recruit. Shag and Rondo/Bradley will be gone next year I would imagine. The only way I see Rondo staying is if he gets hurt before the draft. In the very slight chance Rondo stays, I expect Bradley to transfer.

IMHO, Rondo is gone, so you don't have to worry about Bradley transferring. Rondo is an NBA specimen, his only flaw(jump shot) can be developed there. He is a lottery pick for sure.

With that being said, here is Kentucky's graduating class this year and possible departures.

Ravi Moss
Brandon Stockton
Preston Lemaster
Rajon Rondo(draft)

Not really big losses, and losing Rondo really wouldnt be unexpected.

Incoming class looks like this.

Michael Porter(PG)
Jodie Meeks(SG)
Derrick Jasper(PG)
Perry Stevenson(PF)

Jasper is probably the tallest PG Tubby has recruited and the second best outside of Rondo. Meeks looks like another Gerald Fitch to me, questionable from deep, but is an excellent defender. I'm still kinda questioning recruiting Michael Porter. They are talking like he is going to compete with Jasper for playing time, but he kinda looks like Preston Lemaster or Adam Williams. Stevenson is a rail thin PF who has a decent outside shot.

The biggest ones to watch is where big man Phil Jones and wingman Tyler Smith end up. If Tubby can get Jones, he might have a possible replacement for Randolph Morris if Morris decides to leave again. Smith looks like a more filled out version of Tayshaun Prince.

Slated to leave after next season.

Shagari Alleyne
Lukasz Obrzut
Bobby Perry
Rekalin Sims
Sheray Thomas

Now, this could be the deepest recruiting class in terms of overall talent to come available. Patrick Patterson and Dante Jackson should factor into UK's recruiting efforts immediately. There is also the slim chance of recruiting Mayo and Walker. Keenan Ellis could have factored into the plans as well and still could.

The next two seasons are going to determine a lot.

Blimpie
02-24-2006, 07:57 PM
I think he meant Williams. He sucks, he will either leave or Tubby should pull his scholly to get a 6th recruit. Shag and Rondo/Bradley will be gone next year I would imagine. The only way I see Rondo staying is if he gets hurt before the draft. In the very slight chance Rondo stays, I expect Bradley to transfer.Oops, brain cramp...You are correct. I was referring to Adam Williams. As in the UK freshman who was the West Virginia Player of the Year last year.

Regarding Rondo going pro this summer--I am starting to wonder about that one. I concede that he is tiring of Tubby's refusal simply to turn the team keys over to him. I don't doubt he wants out from under THAT situation. However, I am starting to think that he might not be as sought after by NBA scouts anymore.

Don't get me wrong. I love Rondo and actually expected him to leave after his freshman year. But this year he has regressed in many categories (although the last game was not really indicative). He isn't going to make it as an NBA point guard because of his exceptional defense and rebounding. He HAS to develop an outside shot. He has nothing outside of the paint. Making 50% of your free throws isn't going to endear yourself either.

I kinda see Rondo's season this year somewhat like the Junior year of Keith Bogans. The fans drilled Bogans because his numbers decreased after his Sophmore season. The pros decided he was a tweener and he needed better range from the outside (especially his mid-range jumper). His loss ended up being UK fans' gain as he had no choice but to return for his Senior season.

On that same subject...I am also starting to believe that Randolph Morris will return next year. Yes, yes, I realize that he has already stated such when he was officially re-instated. But, at that time, I didn't think it was anything more than lip service. Now, I actually think he is becoming sold on Tubby as a coach for the first time. I look for big things tomorrow (vs. LSU) out of Randolph Morris...

IslandRed
02-24-2006, 08:40 PM
Pretty impressive what Vandy has been able to accomplish in all varsity sports this year given the fact that they HAVE no athletic department to speak of...

Off-topic a little bit, but I think Vandy's deal has been a bit misunderstood. It's a newfangled and maybe a little new-age attempt at making athletics less isolated from the university as a whole. But they're still spending money and trying to win, even if the organization chart isn't obvious from the outside.

Anyway, why not try something new? Doing things the way the rest of the SEC does wasn't getting them much of anywhere in men's basketball and football, and probably never would. They're never going to be able to offer 100,000 seat stadiums or the adulation of an entire state. Their best hope of success -- not saying it would be easy -- is turning Vandy into the place where the jocks who aren't just jocks want to go.

kyred14
02-24-2006, 10:39 PM
IMHO, Rondo is gone, so you don't have to worry about Bradley transferring. Rondo is an NBA specimen, his only flaw(jump shot) can be developed there. He is a lottery pick for sure.

With that being said, here is Kentucky's graduating class this year and possible departures.

Ravi Moss
Brandon Stockton
Preston Lemaster
Rajon Rondo(draft)

Not really big losses, and losing Rondo really wouldnt be unexpected.

Incoming class looks like this.

Michael Porter(PG)
Jodie Meeks(SG)
Derrick Jasper(PG)
Perry Stevenson(PF)

Jasper is probably the tallest PG Tubby has recruited and the second best outside of Rondo. Meeks looks like another Gerald Fitch to me, questionable from deep, but is an excellent defender. I'm still kinda questioning recruiting Michael Porter. They are talking like he is going to compete with Jasper for playing time, but he kinda looks like Preston Lemaster or Adam Williams. Stevenson is a rail thin PF who has a decent outside shot.

The biggest ones to watch is where big man Phil Jones and wingman Tyler Smith end up. If Tubby can get Jones, he might have a possible replacement for Randolph Morris if Morris decides to leave again. Smith looks like a more filled out version of Tayshaun Prince.

Slated to leave after next season.

Shagari Alleyne
Lukasz Obrzut
Bobby Perry
Rekalin Sims
Sheray Thomas

Now, this could be the deepest recruiting class in terms of overall talent to come available. Patrick Patterson and Dante Jackson should factor into UK's recruiting efforts immediately. There is also the slim chance of recruiting Mayo and Walker. Keenan Ellis could have factored into the plans as well and still could.

The next two seasons are going to determine a lot.

Jones pretty much came out and said he coming to UK. He just needs to get his test scores up. UK is leading for Tyler Smith, but Tubby will need to free up some scholly's to get both.

WVRed
02-25-2006, 07:36 PM
UK loses a close one to LSU 71-67.

On the plus side, we did hold Tyrus Thomas to just 9 points.:help:

WMR
02-25-2006, 07:38 PM
Crawford was a real defensive liability out there today; worse than Sparks, even. He got beat consistently by his man who happened to be playing with a sprained ankle and was obviously laboring in his movement... sheesh

WMR
02-25-2006, 07:39 PM
Why was that final shot given to Sheray Thomas down low instead of Morriss? I wish Sheray would have kicked out to Ravi, he was wide open for a 3-pt. attempt. Tubby was yelling at him to kick it out. Our "power"-forwards are soooo undersized.

Blimpie
02-26-2006, 08:10 PM
I am a little puzzled how that final play involved anybody except Morris. Sheray Thomas usually isn't even IN THE GAME during the final ticks--let alone, drawing the play up for him to shoot. Even if Tubby wanted him to "kick it out" to Moss, why do that? They didn't need a three to tie it.

If Thomas gets into a situation where he does have to shoot it, he'd damn sure better know to use the glass from that angle and distance. What an unbelievable opportunity they pissed away yesterday.

Steve4192
03-02-2006, 12:52 PM
In light of last nights HUGE win @ UT and recent 'zoners flip-flop in the 'Can we bottle Tubbys coaching ability' thread, I thought this one deserved a bump.