PDA

View Full Version : The former Red *anti-Milton* signs

creek14
01-08-2006, 12:09 PM
Braves' Reitsma avoids arbitration

The Braves also announced that they have signed outfielder Brian Jordan and catcher Eddie Perez to minor-league contracts with invitations to spring training.

Reitsma, 28, went 3-6 with a 3.93 earned run average and a career-high 15 saves in a team-high 76 games for Atlanta. He allowed only three home runs in 73.1 innings. The five-year veteran is 31-42 with a 4.38 ERA, 29 saves and 335 strikeouts in 557.1 innings pitched with the Braves and Cincinnati Reds.

Jordan, 38, batted .247 with three homers and 24 RBI in 76 games with the Braves last season. He has a career average of .283 with 181 home runs and 811 RBI in 14 seasons with the Braves, St. Louis Cardinals, Los Angeles Dodgers and Texas Rangers.

Perez has spent nine of his 11 years with the Braves, and hit .211 in 16 games last season, after suffering from shoulder tendonitis. The 37-year-old batted .253 with 40 home runs and 172 RBI throughout his career with the Braves, Cleveland Indians and Milwaukee Brewers.

westofyou
01-08-2006, 12:23 PM
Braves' Reitsma avoids arbitrationAfter the "you hurt my feelings" position he took with the Reds and arbritration this is no surprise.

jnwohio
01-08-2006, 12:57 PM
Chris perhaps did not give up a lot of gophers but I think the untimeliness of some of the ones he did allow was a factor in why the Reds were willing to deal him for next to nothing (bad deal though it was). Given the chance, he did not exactly grab the oppurtunity to be the Atlanta closer by the throat either.

My recollection is that he lacked any kind of servicable breaking ball to go with his lights out change up with the problem being complicated by the fact that his fast ball while plenty good enough in velocity has a reputation for being a straight arrow pitch which does not move much either laterally or vertically.

Redsland
01-08-2006, 01:45 PM
...was a factor in why the Reds were willing to deal him for next to nothing...
You're misstating the Reds intentions, there. The Reds did not think they were acquiring "next to nothing." They got fooled into taking two "highly prized Braves pitching prospects to restock the farm and lead us to glory. See? BP likes them and everything. And did we mention they're Braves?"

The Reds thought they'd win that trade by getting one (or two) viable major league starters for a guy on a career path they figureed would look a lot like either Rob Bell's, or maybe even Brian Reith's.

The Reds' "braintrust" and the Braves' braintrust hammered out a deal and both sides walked away grinning like the cat that ate the canary. Guess who won?

RFS62
01-08-2006, 02:07 PM
The Reds' "braintrust" and the Braves' braintrust hammered out a deal and both sides walked away grinning like the cat that ate the canary. Guess who won?

DanO vs. Schuerholz.

Seems fair.

KronoRed
01-08-2006, 04:29 PM
DanO vs. Schuerholz.

Seems fair.
Like a battleship vs a canoe with a hole in it.

deltachi8
01-08-2006, 05:22 PM
and i would still make the trade.

Reitsma is what he is a pretty average middle reliever.

Nelson still young and has a chance to be good.

flyer85
01-08-2006, 06:03 PM
I suggest the Reds trade a Bong and a Bubba for that guy

Danny Serafini
01-09-2006, 12:23 PM
and i would still make the trade.

Reitsma is what he is a pretty average middle reliever.

Nelson still young and has a chance to be good.

Exactly. I still don't get all the hand wringing over Reitsma. The trade was worth a shot. Maybe it'll never work out, but they didn't exactly lose Cy Young in the deal.

Cedric
01-09-2006, 11:44 PM
It was a bad trade in a lot of ways, but Reitsma is and always will be overvalued .