PDA

View Full Version : AP - Marlins checking Portland - woy & pedro on welcoming committee

Heath
01-08-2006, 09:16 PM
I'm making up the woy & pedro part.

So - if this happens - is the first RedsZone road trip via air to visit the oregon boys?

Just trying to blow time waiting for RA to sign - less than 3 hours on the RA DeathWatch

Marlins officials will visit Portland to discuss ballpark
Associated Press

MIAMI -- Florida Marlins representatives plan to meet next week with Portland, Ore., officials about the team's possible relocation to the city in the event it can't get a baseball-only stadium in South Florida.

Marlins president David Samson will travel to Portland on Monday for a one-day visit, team spokesman P.J. Loyello said Friday.

Samson will be accompanied by Marlins vice chairman Joel Mael and Claude Delorme, who is in charge of stadium development.

Since their inception in 1993, the Marlins have shared the Miami Dolphins' home, owned by Wayne Huizenga. The Marlins' lease with the stadium is in effect until 2007, and the team could move after that.

If the team relocates, Las Vegas and Portland appear to be the early front-runners.

Unassisted
01-08-2006, 09:24 PM
If the team relocates, Las Vegas and Portland appear to be the early front-runners.I'm sure the San Antonio dignitaries who spent a week last month wining, dining and showing off the city to the Marlins group are just thrilled by that sentence in the story. :rolleyes:

StillFunkyB
01-08-2006, 09:27 PM
I think the next team will be in Vegas. If not, then it will be Portland.

KronoRed
01-08-2006, 09:44 PM
Portland is the best option.

pedro
01-08-2006, 10:05 PM
Bring 'em on.

Topcat
01-09-2006, 01:45 AM
Bring 'em on.

Shame on you Pedro wanting a franchise that actually has a plan on how to rebuild.

Doc. Scott
01-09-2006, 02:08 AM
Just as long as they lose the teal.

cincinnati chili
01-09-2006, 03:46 AM
From what I hear, a publicly-financed stadium is exactly what the Oregon economy needs.

KronoRed
01-09-2006, 04:18 AM
From what I hear, a publicly-financed stadium is exactly what the Oregon economy needs.
All the cools towns have one ;)

westofyou
01-09-2006, 10:26 AM
Just as long as they lose the teal.The new uniforms will be made from Fleece and Gortex

RFS62
01-09-2006, 10:28 AM
The new uniforms will be made from Fleece and Gortex

Don't forget the seal skin spikes.

macro
01-09-2006, 10:51 AM
If the Marlins move west, what division would they play in? Would this force realignment?

Not to needlessly derail this thread, but...

I'd be in favor of moving them to the AL West and shifting one of the NL Central teams to the NL East, giving six divisions of five teams. (Yes, I know, that means an interleague game every day. If we're stuck with interleague, then I see no problem with having it every day.)

KronoRed
01-09-2006, 10:54 AM
Shift the Marlins to the West and shift the Astros or Pirates to the east

MLB still sees interleague as special, so they will never go for having a series every day.

flyer85
01-09-2006, 12:21 PM
didn't the AAA team go bankrupt a few years back and the PL had to take the team over?

RFS62
01-09-2006, 12:21 PM
The only sensible move is to move them to Charlotte.

:cool:

westofyou
01-09-2006, 12:26 PM
didn't the AAA team go bankrupt a few years back and the PL had to take the team over?That's because they were a nickle and dime operation, they had sunk the majority of their jack into rehapping the little park downtown and mistaked the draw of an AAA team. Thus they had no money to cover their small shortage. So instead of finding the money elsewhere they defaulted the loan.

KronoRed
01-09-2006, 12:26 PM
The only sensible move is to move them to Charlotte.

:cool:
Nah only braves fans there

flyer85
01-09-2006, 12:42 PM
Would Portland support a major league long term? Can they afford to finance a stadium?

Heath
01-09-2006, 12:47 PM
Would Portland support a major league long term? Can they afford to finance a stadium?

I think they have a stadium ready to go - sorta - needs a few more seats.

Here's a website or two -

http://www.portlandbaseballgroup.org/

http://www.oregonstadiumcampaign.com/index.htm

here's a local newspaper guy's take on the Marlins visit....
http://www.portlandtribune.com/archview.cgi?id=32978

What gets me - PGE park only seats 20,000?? Looks larger - Oregon people - help!

Chip R
01-09-2006, 01:42 PM
That's because they were a nickle and dime operation,

And the Marlins aren't?

RBA
01-09-2006, 01:53 PM
Both Vegas and Portland/Eugene will continue to grow over the next 25 years. I could live with a team in either city.

My dream scenario would be if the build a dome stadium next to the strip and ran the monorail to the stadium. I think Vegas and MLB would make a fortune in charter trips.
Who here from Cincinatti area would take a Charter trip to Vegas to see the Reds series, that include hotel and air fare for under $300 package?

Vegas would also make a nice place for a Redszone gathering.

Heath
01-09-2006, 01:59 PM
Honestly, I think the nightlife of Las Vegas, coupled with the workers of Vegas would not allow many folks from Vegas to attend the games.

Plus, is anyone really a native of Las Vegas? You might have a situation that might make Tampa Bay look like a vital baseball town :eek:

Portland is the viable option, IMHO. Move the Pirates to the East (with Philadelphia) The NL West would be: LA, SD, COL, SF, ARZ, & PORT

The other option involves switching leagues and isn't viable, nor would it be approved.

gm
01-09-2006, 02:00 PM

What gets me - PGE park only seats 20,000?? Looks larger - Oregon people - help!

This PDX columnist is less optimistic...

I was ... doing recon work because with the Marlins people serious about moving their team to Portland, I figured the least I could do is get serious about making sure their initial visit here is as successful as possible.

I mean, they're publicly saying that this winter tour will include Portland, Vegas and some other cities, and they're publicly saying the stadium deal in Miami isn't good enough. Ya know, I half think the mayor and governor will look at each other after the visit and say, "Man, they never paid for anything."

We're looking more and more like a pawn every day.

And the worst part is, we're happy to serve in that role.

Listen, and this is for the baseball crazies out there in the blogosphere ---- I want baseball, too. But we're not going to get it as long as we appear desperate, and needy, and throw ourselves at a team that is OBVIOUSLY leveraging us against Miami. When we stop being suckers, they'll take us more seriously.

I took a long walk around the top two sites, as proposed on the website of the Portland Baseball Group, and the Pearl District site feels forced. I liked the Rose Quarter site a lot more, but again, I still think we're a lot closer to getting an NHL team than a MLB team.

http://www.oregonlive.com/canzano/

pedro
01-09-2006, 02:02 PM

nope, there is no place for them to play yet. PGE park is too small and there is no way to expand it.

The marlins lease runs through 2008 (?) so they're lookng to pick a city and then a stadium would have to be built.

I think people woukd support a team if one moved here FWIW.

westofyou
01-09-2006, 02:03 PM
This PDX columnist is less optimistic...And he works for a real newspaper.

pedro
01-09-2006, 02:04 PM
And he works for a real newspaper.

yeah right. :rolleyes: ;)

he's a hack who spends all his time talking about the Blazers.

westofyou
01-09-2006, 02:05 PM
I still think we're a lot closer to getting an NHL team than a MLB team.Bring em on..... the canucks and the Sharks need a stop off point, we'll take the Penguins and then they can flip Detroit into the East (yeah I know that leaves the Hawks as the only original 6 team in the west so it will never happen)

westofyou
01-09-2006, 02:05 PM
he's a hack who spends all his time talking about the Blazers.They still around?

Heath
01-09-2006, 02:06 PM
I took a long walk around the top two sites, as proposed on the website of the Portland Baseball Group, and the Pearl District site feels forced. I liked the Rose Quarter site a lot more, but again, I still think we're a lot closer to getting an NHL team than a MLB team.

I don't think Paul Allen who owns the Trail Blazers would be very conducive to having competition in his town during the season. The NHL owner, like Phoenix, would probably want a new arena in five-to-seven years anyway. So, instead of having one team during each season (fall/winter & spring/summer) you would have two teams vying for the same people in potentially two separate arenas.

Knowing the folks in Oregon (off the cuff) - and the population of Portland being under 2 million - I'm not thinking that the spending of that elaboration would be very well received in that state.

Baseball is the better option for Portland.

Heath
01-09-2006, 02:08 PM
Bring em on..... the canucks and the Sharks need a stop off point, we'll take the Penguins and then they can flip Detroit into the East (yeah I know that leaves the Hawks as the only original 6 team in the west so it will never happen)

Move Columbus to the East...PLEASE!! PLEASE!! :wave:

westofyou
01-09-2006, 02:08 PM
I don't think Paul Allen who owns the Trail Blazers would be very conducive to having competition in his town during the season.Allen also owns the arena that sits empty more than 1/2 the year.

Doc. Scott
01-09-2006, 02:10 PM
They still around?

It's a good thing I was raised not to give a crap about the NBA, like every Cincinnatian. The Blazers are suck-a-peanut-outta-the-bodily-orifice awful. (Yes, that was another play for rep points.)

Heath
01-09-2006, 02:11 PM
And he works for a real newspaper.

I can't believe Portland has two newspapers.

I still can't believe I can get the Post.

Heath
01-09-2006, 02:13 PM
It's a good thing I was raised not to give a crap about the NBA, like every Cincinnatian. The Blazers are suck-a-peanut-outta-the-bodily-orifice awful. (Yes, that was another play for rep points.)

So, if I wan points from you, pedro, woy, & oregonred - I talk bad about Ruben Patterson?

;)

westofyou
01-09-2006, 02:15 PM

I still can't believe I can get the Post.They really don't. They used to have a Post like paper in the evening, then the Oregonian bought them out. When that happened some local rich guy didn't like the fact that the area would have only one paper. So he started his own.. Free all the time and 5 days a week plus free delivery... no one cared so the delivery stopped, no one cared so the 5 days a week went to Tuesday and Thursday, no one cared so they began putting the sections on the back of each other to save paper, no one cared and they shrunk the actual size of the paper.

I don't read the Boregonian unless it's free too.

Doc. Scott
01-09-2006, 02:15 PM

So, if I wan points from you, pedro, woy, & oregonred - I talk bad about Ruben Patterson?

;)

It's odd that they don't have two pay-fer papers, being that Portland is bigger than Cincinnati and growing (unlike Cincinnati). But they do have three free weeklies, the Tribune being a kinda-sorta local news source (even though it's no thicker than the Ohio University Post) and the other two filled with band listings and "adult entertainment".

The others can speak for themselves, but talk all the UC smack you want. I never gave a squisher about 'em. It's not like I hate the Blazers or anything, but they're not a very good gateway drug to pro-basketball fandom. Ruben will toil in mediocrity for the next few years at least.

gm
01-09-2006, 02:16 PM
Allen also owns the arena that sits empty more than 1/2 the year.

The Rose Garden is under new mgmt. Do you have tickets to U2 or the Stones? Similar concerts were unheard of in PDX until recently

pedro
I don't think Paul Allen who owns the Trail Blazers would be very conducive to having competition in his town during the season. The NHL owner, like Phoenix, would probably want a new arena in five-to-seven years anyway. So, instead of having one team during each season (fall/winter & spring/summer) you would have two teams vying for the same people in potentially two separate arenas.

Knowing the folks in Oregon (off the cuff) - and the population of Portland being under 2 million - I'm not thinking that the spending of that elaboration would be very well received in that state.

Baseball is the better option for Portland.

Paul Allen has said that the Blazers will not share the Rose Garden with a hockey team.

Heath
Allen also owns the arena that sits empty more than 1/2 the year.

try arena football ;)

pedro
01-09-2006, 02:20 PM
The Rose Garden is under new mgmt. Do you have tickets to U2 or the Stones? Similar concerts were unheard of in PDX until recently

U2 and the Stones have come and gone already. I hear the Stones were good. I did see Paul Mccartney there that same week.

westofyou
01-09-2006, 02:21 PM
That's true, 4 years ago they would have skipped over and added another night in Seattle.

We're movin up weezie...

gm
01-09-2006, 02:35 PM
I don't read the Boregonian unless it's free too.

The guy calls to offer 2 weeks free subscriptions and I'm like "dude, I just go to oregonlive.com and I sure don't miss recycing all of that bulk newsprint"

Chip R
01-09-2006, 02:39 PM

From what I've heard and read you may not be getting it through 06.

westofyou
The guy calls to offer 2 weeks free subscriptions and I'm like "dude, I just go to oregonlive.com and I sure don't miss recycing all of that bulk newsprint"
Yep, I get a little free "tease" copy about every other Tuesday, it has the one section of the paper my wife loves the food section.

Doc. Scott
I get the Oregonian on Sunday, but only for the coupons. The best thing I can say about it is that the op-ed pages aren't filled with right-wing ranting. But that doesn't make it an interesting paper, believe me.

Heath
01-09-2006, 03:00 PM
From what I've heard and read you may not be getting it through 06.

That is correct.

I always buy one heading into GABP for a night game. Seems like the right thing to do.

I'm interested in what Lancaster does after the Post goes.

Chip R
01-09-2006, 03:05 PM
That is correct.

I always buy one heading into GABP for a night game. Seems like the right thing to do.

I'm interested in what Lancaster does after the Post goes.

I wish the Enquirer would hire him but he's probably too good. Either way I hope he has his resume out there.

registerthis
01-09-2006, 04:09 PM
It's odd that they don't have two pay-fer papers, being that Portland is bigger than Cincinnati and growing (unlike Cincinnati).

The difference is, Cincinnati has large cities in close proximity--Dayton, Columbus, Louisville and Indianapolis--from which it draws a sizeable number of fans. Portland doesn't have that luxury, it pretty much stands alone in that geographical area.

And, FWIW, the Cincinnati MSA grew by 160,000, or roughly 8.5%, between 1990 - 2000.

Doc. Scott
01-09-2006, 04:11 PM
The difference is, Cincinnati has large cities in close proximity--Dayton, Columbus, Louisville and Indianapolis--from which it draws a sizeable number of fans. Portland doesn't have that luxury, it pretty much stands alone in that geographical area.

And, FWIW, the Cincinnati MSA grew by 160,000, or roughly 8.5%, between 1990 - 2000.

I was just referring to the widely-published stat that the Cincinnati metro area lost 40,000 people in the 1990s. It is true that the market size is still expanding.

westofyou
01-09-2006, 04:24 PM

Yeah but we got us some volcanos

gm
01-09-2006, 05:17 PM
Yeah but we got us some volcanos

Salem-Keizer?

http://www.volcanoesbaseball.com/

KronoRed
01-09-2006, 07:57 PM
try arena football ;)
Cincy is on its 3rd team now :D

Heath
01-09-2006, 11:25 PM
Cincy is on its 3rd team now :D

I wished the NHL would have came to Cincinnati - even more dreaming - I wish the Stingers never left and got brought into the NHL when the WHA folded. IIRC - rumors said that they got beat out by Hartford or Quebec.

NHL fans know how that ended up.

oregonred
01-10-2006, 12:37 AM
Portland would support MLB much better than NHL but it wouldn't be a slam dunk. My answer would have been different 5-6 years ago when the NHL wasn't a complete afterthought and the Mariners/Safeco creating some excitement in the region. Lots of transplants here and with the bulk of the population growth being international vs domestic (Latino and Asian). I'm not sure the region could produce more than small-low mid market revenues.

Portland and Cinci are roughly the same population size within the region (not counting the +1 regional addition we just added last week to PDX :). I think the four regional PDX counties are about 1.8M, roughly a bit smller than the main OH/KY counties. Difference here is no regional draw since PDX area is well over 50% of the total state population and the Mariners are entrenched as Washington's team outside the Vancouver area.

The economy and construction have been rapidly picking up here as well after a several year downturn.

cincinnati chili
01-10-2006, 01:29 AM
Good for him!

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2286405

PORTLAND, Ore. -- Mayor Tom Potter said Monday he has a "very strong sense" that most Portlanders don't care about landing a major league baseball team and reiterated his position that the city will not help finance a ballpark for the Florida Marlins.

Potter spoke after meeting with Marlins president David Samson and other team officials, who are touring potential new homes for the franchise.

"My concern is that Portland is facing a crisis in education," Potter said. "That's my top priority, to find funding for that. And I expressed that today."

Doc. Scott
01-10-2006, 11:59 AM
Good for him!

PORTLAND, Ore. -- Mayor Tom Potter said Monday he has a "very strong sense" that most Portlanders don't care about landing a major league baseball team and reiterated his position that the city will not help finance a ballpark for the Florida Marlins.

Potter spoke after meeting with Marlins president David Samson and other team officials, who are touring potential new homes for the franchise.

"My concern is that Portland is facing a crisis in education," Potter said. "That's my top priority, to find funding for that. And I expressed that today."

Natives, maybe not. Transplants like myself (that seem to be like 80% of the city's population) are far more amenable to it, considering that the majority of them come from places where there are major-league sports.

However, I'm with Potter on the financing. Portland doesn't need higher taxes to pay for sports stadiums any more than anywhere else. It's a travesty the way professional sports has set things up to where a publicly-financed stadium is considered an expectation.

savafan
01-10-2006, 12:00 PM
http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/13589015.htm

BY BARRY JACKSON
bjackson@MiamiHerald.com

Continuing to explore possible relocation, three Marlins executives visited Portland, Ore., on Monday and found the same sentiment they've encountered in South Florida: a lack of appetite to cover more than a portion of stadium financing costs through public funding.

Although Marlins president David Samson said funding plans weren't discussed, Portland Mayor Tom Potter said he stood by his previous comment that ``publicly financed baseball would not be coming to Portland on my watch. And that was not a point of discussion today.''

Asked if baseball could work in Portland, Potter said at a late-afternoon news conference: ``I don't know. I haven't seen a plan yet that does it. . . . I do not want the city of Portland taking out any mortgage on our children's future.''

The Oregon Legislature in 2003 authorized using as much as $150 million from players' income taxes on funding a stadium. But no additional public money has been identified toward financing a facility that could cost $400 million or more. As part of that state legislation, the team must have a player payroll of $75 million in its first season and $82 million in its second, with five percent increases in ensuing years.

The Marlins' visit to Portland followed last month's trip to San Antonio. Samson said the Marlins likely will visit five additional markets, including one unidentified location this month. Samson said no visit has been scheduled to Las Vegas, but that seems inevitable. Samson -- accompanied by team executives Joel Mael and Claude Delorme -- met with Potter, Oregon Sports Authority CEO Drew Mahalic and Oregon Gov. Ted Kulongoski and attended a reception of business and community leaders. They also toured possible stadium sites.

''It was an introductory meeting,'' Samson said. ``We reiterated to everybody that we continue to work on a deal in Florida. As each day passes without a deal, it becomes more and more important that we explore relocation.''

Samson also said conversations continue about building a retractable-roof stadium on Wayne Huizenga-owned land next to Dolphins Stadium, but the funding gap (between $75 million and $100 million) remains.

The idea of placing a dome on Dolphins Stadium also has been raised recently, but Samson said the Marlins are not considering that. The Marlins say they will play at Dolphins Stadium at least two -- but no more than five -- more seasons.

Said Samson: ``We're exploring all possibilities. I never thought it would come to this.''

Heath
01-10-2006, 12:03 PM
Good for him!

Sounds like a politician in his election year.

westofyou
01-10-2006, 12:06 PM
Sounds like a politician in his election year.Nah he came in last year. PDX city goverment does have an education problem, they also tax the crap out of business so the big guys go to the Burbs... Potter is an ex sheriff, not a career politician.

A local guy for sure... sure he doesn't care about MLB.. he has teh Ducks and Blazers. :rolleyes:

I don't want to pay MLB to come here, but I also sure don't turn my nose up at the possibility of having a team here.

One of the local tribes has offered to build the place if they can get a casino boat on the river..... ain't likely.

Heath
01-10-2006, 12:13 PM
Nah he came in last year. PDX city goverment does have an education problem, they also tax the crap out of business so the big guys go to the Burbs... Potter is an ex sheriff, not a career politician.

A local guy for sure... sure he doesn't care about MLB.. he has teh Ducks and Blazers. :rolleyes:

I don't want to pay MLB to come here, but I also sure don't turn my nose up at the possibility of having a team here.

One of the local tribes has offered to build the place if they can get a casino boat on the river..... ain't likely.

I think PDX had an educational issue years ago.

I know about it. I watched Mr. Holland's Opus. :D

RBA
01-10-2006, 03:03 PM
Ducks play in Eugene. They are closer to the Beavers?

KronoRed
01-10-2006, 08:30 PM
Ducks are cooler.

westofyou
01-10-2006, 08:43 PM
Ducks play in Eugene. They are closer to the Beavers?

Eugene is farther away than Corvalis (where the OSU Beavers play)

The Beavers has been the baseball teams name in PDX almost its whole existance, except in the NW League in the early 20th century and the non PCL leagues in the past 25 years.

The Beavers will be the name.

Heath
01-10-2006, 10:13 PM

They gots to wear this jersey :D

http://www.sportsartifacts.com/pclportjersey.JPG

I also think I've found a new hat to purchase - nice "P" - almost looks like the Phillies "P" in the 50's & 60's.

Chip R
01-11-2006, 09:43 AM

I wouldn't bet on it. Not that it shouldn't be but whomever owns the team may want something alliterative like the Portland Pikes or Oregon Oregonians. Or they may just decide to keep the name of the team that moves there. Or they may decide to pick some goofy name that is "marketable".

KronoRed
01-11-2006, 09:45 AM
Portland Marlins?

Do they have Marlins in Portland?

Heath
01-11-2006, 09:48 AM
Portland Marlins?

Is there Jazz in Utah?

Are there Lakes in Los Angeles?

KronoRed
01-11-2006, 09:50 AM
You can find Jazz in Utah..in a store maybe.

Plenty of pools in LA

;)

savafan
01-11-2006, 11:52 AM
It will probably be something like Portland Patriots. We love Patriotism in this day and age. :p:

westofyou
01-11-2006, 12:13 PM
It will probably be something like Portland Patriots. We love Patriotism in this day and age. :p:
Never been to Portland have ya?;)

It *may* not be the Beavers, but it sure ain't gonna be the Patriots.

pedro
01-11-2006, 12:51 PM
Portland Marlins?

we have plenty of water.

Doc. Scott
01-11-2006, 01:57 PM
The Portland Salmon doesn't really cut it.

RFS62
01-11-2006, 01:59 PM
Portland Lumberjacks?

Chip R
01-11-2006, 02:43 PM
Portland Lumberjacks?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/460000/images/_460037_booth_python.jpg

RFS62
01-11-2006, 02:55 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/460000/images/_460037_booth_python.jpg

Yep. He's a Lumberjack, and he's OK!

KronoRed
01-11-2006, 08:44 PM
Portland Lumberjacks?
Seriously, I like this one..goes along with Mariners.

pedro
01-11-2006, 08:48 PM
Logging isn't the most popular industry out here (lost of clear cuts) so I'm pretty sure it won't be the Lumberjacks. We do have a soccer team named the "Timbers" so the tree theme is not off base. I just think if they go that way they'll try and focus on the fact that we have trees, not that we cut them down.

RFS62
01-11-2006, 09:58 PM
Portland Treehuggers?

KronoRed
01-11-2006, 10:01 PM
Portland Treehuggers?
Hippies

Heath
01-11-2006, 10:02 PM
Portland Treehuggers?

I'm trying to think of the appropriate mascot.

The best I could do was a brown bear in a tie-dyed shirt.

So much for me ever visting The Beaver State.

savafan
01-11-2006, 10:11 PM
Portland Pirahnas. It's still a fish and instills a bit more fear than a Marlin.

RFS62
01-11-2006, 10:16 PM
Portland Pirahnas. It's still a fish and instills a bit more fear than a Marlin.

Well, if you're going for a scary fish thing, maybe the Portland Rancid Salmon.

Or the Portland 5 day old Tuna

westofyou
01-11-2006, 10:30 PM
Portland Storm... er Thunder ( a rarity in the NW) from the WFL years.

Fret all you want.. it will be Beavers.

Heath
01-11-2006, 10:33 PM
trying..hard...not...to..make...Frank....Drebin... .joke....here............

RFS62
01-11-2006, 10:37 PM
Portland Storm... er Thunder ( a rarity in the NW) from the WFL years.

Fret all you want.. it will be Beavers.

No fretting here, I'm a big fan of beaver.

westofyou
01-11-2006, 10:39 PM
No fretting here, I'm a big fan of beaver.
I actually saw a Beaver in the city limits on the side of creek, today a Hawk landed right outside my window... that's the Hockey teams name here.. Winter Hawks... if they get a NHL team that will change.

RFS62
01-11-2006, 10:40 PM
How about the Portland Perpetual Drizzle

savafan
01-11-2006, 10:49 PM
Portland Parkinson Patients. That ought to shake up the fan base.

KronoRed
01-11-2006, 11:54 PM
Make sure the stadium has a roof

pedro
01-12-2006, 02:13 AM
Peacocks

gm
01-12-2006, 02:15 PM
I always liked "Portland Pioneers" for a team name. But then my fam's been in the area for 100+ years

"Beavers" is a PCL/minor league name to me, and too easily confused with that "cow-town college"

pedro
01-12-2006, 02:20 PM
Make sure the stadium has a roof

We don't need one. It doesn't really rain here in the summer. It just rains everyday that isn't summer. Spring isn't that bad, either.

RBA
01-12-2006, 02:38 PM
Portland Rose Bushes

Pete Rose, the Bushes can throw out the first pitches.

westofyou
01-12-2006, 02:53 PM
I always liked "Portland Pioneers" for a team name. But then my fam's been in the area for 100+ yearsThe logo could be a Conestoga wagon, with a man in overalls walking next to it... marketers cry when they think of it.

Imagine if your forebearers had been tempted by the trail south.... you could be that Giants fan you always tried to not be.

RBA
01-12-2006, 02:56 PM
Portland Phanatics

gm
01-12-2006, 04:14 PM
The logo could be a Conestoga wagon, with a man in overalls walking next to it... marketers cry when they think of it.

Imagine if your forebearers had been tempted by the trail south.... you could be that Giants fan you always tried to not be.

The gold rush(es) were over by the time they emigrated, and they were probably farmers in the old country

FWIW, most of my mother's side of the family are So-Callies

Pioneers are also big in Salt Lake City, but "the name" remains unclaimed

Oh, and BTW, "Lumberjacks" is the name of the new pro lacrosse team

westofyou
01-12-2006, 04:27 PM
Oh, and BTW, "Lumberjacks" is the name of the new pro lacrosse team
How very Northeastern.

Where do they play? PGE?

gm
01-12-2006, 04:29 PM
How very Northeastern.

Where do they play? PGE?

Not sure, I just heard they had their first home game on a radio ad.

And only "preppies" care about lacrosse :p:

gm
01-12-2006, 04:31 PM
Not sure, I just heard they had their first home game on a radio ad.

And only "preppies" care about lacrosse :p:

Here ya go

http://www.portlandtribune.com/archview.cgi?id=33378

The "'Jax" my bad

westofyou
01-12-2006, 04:35 PM
And only "preppies" care about lacrosse :p:Hockey Fans too.

gm
01-12-2006, 04:36 PM
Hockey Fans too.

Should be right down your alley, all but 3 players are Canadian...and the team pays them to "commute" eh?

pedro
01-12-2006, 05:23 PM
Lacrosse huh? That might be fun to watch. I wonder how much tickets are.

KronoRed
01-12-2006, 08:34 PM
We don't need one. It doesn't really rain here in the summer. It just rains everyday that isn't summer. Spring isn't that bad, either.
Retractable roof then :D

savafan
01-13-2006, 12:22 AM
How about the name "Oregon Trail"

I wonder how many players would wind up on the DL with dysentary.

oregonred
01-13-2006, 03:36 AM
Someone please make the rain go away around here. It really is quite laughable this winter...

Fortunately since it has rained 25 of the last 26 days, we in PDX have been spared in Winter 2006 of nightly stories from concerned TV media talking heads and the Oregonian columnists concerned about the generational perils of a NWest drought. Although if we get a 48-hour period in Februray without measurable rain, I'm sure the stories are ready to go about how Oct-Jan was an anomaly.

Mayor Tom Potter is the perfect small minded mayor to lead this town. (Insert predictable catch phrase of education over baseball here____________) At least old Vera seemed to like the idea of trying to get an MLB franchise

pedro
01-13-2006, 03:51 AM
Someone please make the rain go away around here. It really is quite laughable this winter...

Fortunately since it has rained 25 of the last 26 days, we in PDX have been spared in Winter 2006 of nightly stories from concerned TV media talking heads and the Oregonian columnists concerned about the generational perils of a NWest drought. Although if we get a 48-hour period in Februray without measurable rain, I'm sure the stories are ready to go about how Oct-Jan was an anomaly.

Mayor Tom Potter is the perfect small minded mayor to lead this town. (Insert predictable catch phrase of education over baseball here____________) At least old Vera seemed to like the idea of trying to get an MLB franchise

I agree about the rain. It's been tough. FTR, I voted for Francioni. I also played softball with his kid. Nice kid.

Doc. Scott
01-13-2006, 03:19 PM
How about the name "Oregon Trail"

I wonder how many players would wind up on the DL with dysentary.

"You have scored eight runs, but may only carry one back to the wagon."

westofyou
01-20-2006, 10:30 AM
In the Hockey News
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/20/sports/hockey/20rangers.html

Even though the team is struggling on the ice, its future - headed by the top pick in the 2005 N.H.L. entry draft, Sidney Crosby - appears bright. But that is why the franchise could also be attractive to buyers interested in moving it elsewhere. Among the cities that have been mentioned are Portland, Ore.; Houston; Kansas City, Mo.; and Las Vegas.

pedro
01-20-2006, 01:06 PM
The Marlins are going to visit Charlotte next month.

westofyou
01-20-2006, 01:09 PM
The Marlins are going to visit Charlotte next month.
Just for the Barbeque.

pedro
01-20-2006, 01:19 PM
Just for the Barbeque.

and to head out to lake wylie and do some fishing for crappie off a pontoon boat with a bunch of guys who look like greg allman.

RFS62
01-20-2006, 01:34 PM
Or to zip over to Pinehurst for some golf.

:p:

westofyou
01-20-2006, 01:38 PM
and to head out to lake wylie and do some fishing for crappie off a pontoon boat with a bunch of guys who look like greg allman.
Been there, done that.

gm
01-20-2006, 01:42 PM
In the Hockey News
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/20/sports/hockey/20rangers.html

KC's got that new crib but no major sport's tenant

(and I'm sure you've been keeping tabs on Lemeiux...)

pedro
01-20-2006, 01:44 PM
Been there, done that.

but did you use your "pocket fisherman"

http://www.seenontv.com/prod-pages/images1/pocketfisherman-tran-sdow.gif

gonelong
01-20-2006, 02:08 PM
Originally Posted by RFS62
Or to zip over to Pinehurst for some golf.

Originally Posted by pedro

Man, I'd love to be doing both right about now.

GL

RFS62
01-20-2006, 02:17 PM
Man, I'd love to be doing both right about now.

GL

Come on down.

:beerme:

Redsland
01-20-2006, 08:56 PM
I caught my first rainbow trout with a Pocket Fisherman™.

Thank you, Ron Popeil!

KronoRed
01-20-2006, 10:42 PM
http://www.tvsquad.com/images/2005/08/ronpopeil.jpg

Heath
01-21-2006, 10:08 AM
http://www.tvsquad.com/images/2005/08/ronpopeil.jpg

There's a guy who has made some serious jack with having the most inane products and hawking them on TV on 1/2 hour info-mercials.

And I'm at home, pissed that he thought of it first..... :D

Yachtzee
01-21-2006, 05:23 PM
How far is Astoria? They could put a stadium there and call them the "Goonies."

pedro
01-21-2006, 05:25 PM
How far is Astoria? They could put a stadium there and call them the "Goonies."

2 hours.

Maybe they could get Corey Feldman to be the GM too.

gm
01-23-2006, 02:02 PM
There's no place for parking in Astoria. Traffic in and out would be a nightmare

Not that it isn't everywhere in PDX/I-5 corridor

KearnsyEars
01-25-2006, 08:27 PM
I'd really like to see the Marlins stay in florida fellas. I think that Cabrera is one heck of a player and Willis is well, a nice complement. They have some pieces in place and I hope they get a baseball only stadium in Florida where they started and have won two championships.

KronoRed
01-26-2006, 12:48 AM
But they won't get a stadium, the city now talks more about building a stadium for the University then the Marlins

RBA
04-17-2006, 11:00 PM
I think the a Judge in San Antonio has had enought of the Marlins. He's giving them a deadline of May 15 to commit to the city. I don't think San Antonio is a serious candidate because they are only talking about an open air stadium. They at least need a retractable roof in Texas with the heat and humiidity. http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/stories/MYSA031006.1D.MLBmarlins.wolff.94a3048.html