PDA

View Full Version : So is there any hope?

top6
01-09-2006, 02:57 AM
Well, after attending a rather upsetting NFL playoff game, driving back to Chicago, and now learning that we have resigned Awesome Aurillia and that Freel has been arrested, I'm sort of at the end of my sports rope.

Is there any reason - at all - that I can think the Reds might be decent this year? There are a lot of very smart posters on this board - much smarter than me. I would appreciate you showing me some stats that show the Reds could possibly win 90 games. If there are no such stats, I would appreciate it if you made some up.

I just need some sort of hope to get me through the dark days until spring training.

Thank you in advance.

Jpup
01-09-2006, 03:46 AM
start watching hockey. ;)

KronoRed
01-09-2006, 04:26 AM
At least 25 times this year you will see a lineup with Womack Aurilia and Milton

If that's not hopeless I don't know what is.

RedsBaron
01-09-2006, 06:28 AM
Is there any reason - at all - that I can think the Reds might be decent this year?
As long as DanO is in charge: No.

membengal
01-09-2006, 06:49 AM
There is little hope. Just wait until they trade Pena for pitching peanuts and he hits 47 homeruns for some lucky team this year while the Reds field a lineup with Freel, Aurilia and Womack in it and wonder why they are losing so many 7-1 games.

That's going to be swell.

Ravenlord
01-09-2006, 09:48 AM
At least 25 times this year you will see a lineup with Womack Aurilia and Milton

has any pitcher ever had 25 starts in a season and no wins?

Heath
01-09-2006, 10:02 AM

only the woy knows.....

KronoRed
01-09-2006, 10:06 AM
Don't tempt them.:devil:

deltachi8
01-09-2006, 10:26 AM

Milton, in his best Mufasa from the Lion King voice would respond:

"Is that a challenge?"

flyer85
01-09-2006, 10:30 AM
for 2006, the answer is a resounding NO.

It's questionable if there is any beyond 2006. The longer DanO stays around the further the day for actually winning moves in the future.

westofyou
01-09-2006, 10:32 AM
start watching hockey. ;)
Just make sure it's not the Blue Jackets.

WebScorpion
01-09-2006, 10:47 AM
Pray that the day the Castellini Bros. assume control of the organization is to the Reds what the Marvin Lewis signing was to the Bengals. Hell, pray that it's even half as good. I hope they at least gain control soon enough to make changes that will effect the draft. Much like the old 'Bungles' organization, the worst part of being a Reds fan is that the future offers little (if any) hope for a better tomorrow. If the Castellini's can replace John Allen with anyone who isn't a blithering idiot, replace Dan O'Brien with someone who knows which direction is up, and start acquiring people who can evaluate and develop talent, I'll be content to just 'hope' things will get better and watch Griffey, Dunn, Kearns, Pena, Lopez, Encarnacion, and Larue try to outhit the opponents.

In the meantime, I'll just have to drink until I freel better. :beerme:
:laugh:

buckeyenut
01-09-2006, 11:21 AM

Yes, but there is also a very real possibility that some point this year, if even for only one game, you will see a lineup that consists of Dunn, Pena, Kearns, Jr, Freel, Lopez, Encarnacion and LaRue. That is the best offensive lineup in either league, period, IMO.

deltachi8
01-09-2006, 12:17 PM
Yes, but there is also a very real possibility that some point this year, if even for only one game, you will see a lineup that consists of Dunn, Pena, Kearns, Jr, Freel, Lopez, Encarnacion and LaRue. That is the best offensive lineup in either league, period, IMO.

Unfortunately, they will be edged out in that game 11-10.

top6
01-09-2006, 12:33 PM
I'm afraid this isn't really helping.

I think we should start a thread where we all come up with scenarios where the Reds win the division. They will obviously all be absurd, but maybe it will give us some reason to watch.

Ravenlord
01-09-2006, 12:36 PM

I think we should start a thread where we all come up with scenarios where the Reds win the division. They will obviously all be absurd, but maybe it will give us some reason to watch.
Aurilia and Womack combine for 100 plate appearances, all hitters and pitchers have the greatest years of their career, including 5 perfect games between Eric Milton and Elizardo Ramirez.

Heath
01-09-2006, 03:17 PM

Dan O'Brien is fired. Yesterday.

The Cardinals look at the Sunny Acres Retirement Home for pitchers after Suppan, Carpenter, & Marquis go down.

The Astros hit bottom after the ailens that invaded Willy Tavares & Morgan Ensburg decide to go back to the planet Zorg & Roger Clemens would rather stay at home and take up needlepoint.

The Brewers, in a Darwinian way, recede back to the Brewers circa 2002.

The Pirates - well - they are the Pirates, and whatever they do, usually involves no better than 4th place.

The Reds behind stellar offense, get a sub 4 ERA from Harang, Claussen, and Milton. Dave Williams pulls a Danny Jackson, goes 23-8 with an ERA of 2.92

Todd Coffey goes Bobby Thigpen and saves 57.

woy pulls out an essay entitled - 2006 Reds vs. 1956 Reds-A Comparative Study (Long)

RedsZone users increase. Boss & GIK add a third level - Redsdom.

Redsland doing the Reds Report - actually has to make up funny stuff - unlike currently where he just "cuts & pastes" ;)

deltachi8
01-09-2006, 07:43 PM

An amazing master theif, a super villian if you will, kidnaps the 1/2 the Cardinals, Astros, Cubs, and Brewers rosters in Spring Training and the Pirates starting pitching. The Reds squeak into the playoffs finishing a tick above .500.

KronoRed
01-09-2006, 07:49 PM
Those lineups sabotaged with Womack at the top of the order and Rich batting clean up ;)

Krusty
01-10-2006, 11:12 AM
Hope that Eric Milton rebounds where he can lower his ERA by 1.5 and provide around 13 wins.

Hope that Harang and Claussen improve that they can provide 13-15 wins a piece.

Hope that Williams can win between 10-13 wins.

Hope that Paul Wilson is able to come back and pitch like he did in 2004.

Alot of ifs. But I'm a Steelers fan and there is alot of ifs if we can beat the Colts.

That is why you play the game.

membengal
01-23-2006, 06:17 PM
There is little hope. Just wait until they trade Pena for pitching peanuts and he hits 47 homeruns for some lucky team this year while the Reds field a lineup with Freel, Aurilia and Womack in it and wonder why they are losing so many 7-1 games.

That's going to be swell.

I amend my previous answer in this thread.

I have hope again.

Thanks for that to the new owner. It's fun to look forward to spring training once again.

KronoRed
01-23-2006, 10:05 PM
I have hope for the future now, but 06 is still a downer for me, Aurilia, Womack, Milton.

:explode:

RFS62
01-23-2006, 10:41 PM
If DanO was still in place, I'd have no hope. I wasn't even looking forward to the season.

But the last three days have renewed my hope.

Even though I know we're going to suffer, I can see a change, a difference. Hope, where before I had none.

It's amazing. A little hope is all I need. I'd forgotten what it felt like.

WebScorpion
01-24-2006, 08:55 PM
Yup, looks like I got what I wanted...No mo DanO and Allen has been sent back to bean-counting. WooHoo! For my second wish, I'm hoping Womack doesn't make it out of Spring Training on the Reds ML roster. :cool:

Redsland
01-24-2006, 10:29 PM
Word.

KronoRed
01-24-2006, 11:13 PM
For my second wish, I'm hoping Womack doesn't make it out of Spring Training on the Reds ML roster. :cool:
Same for Rich.

RedsBaron
01-25-2006, 06:41 AM
I have hope for the future now, but 06 is still a downer for me, Aurilia, Womack, Milton.

:explode:
Yeah, I now have some hope for the Reds in future seasons, which is great, but 2006 appears to still be pretty hopeless at this point.

OldXOhio
01-25-2006, 08:22 AM
Same for Rich.

even better - RA has a good first half, the new GM recognizes his value and deals him to a contender.

Roy Tucker
01-25-2006, 08:58 AM
If Harang and Claussen build upon last season and continue to improve, if Paul Wilson can come back in 2004 form, if Dave Williams goes all '99 Steve Parris on us, if Eric Milton's knee and head get well, if the bullpen organizes itself into a real MLB pen, if Junior doesn't get hurt too much, if Kearns and Pena turn out to be real ballplayers, if Lopez shows '05 wasn't a flash in the pan, if EE shows steady improvement, if Larue/Valentin continue to be productive, if Dunn doesn't get too mad at management, if RA and TW don't whine too much, if Castellini doesn't turn into George Steinbrenner, and Jerry Narron doesn't go all Bob Boone smart or Dave Miley stupid on us, then the Reds have a shot. At a wild card.

:)

All I'm looking for is some creativity and intelligence from the front office and good, sound, intelligent, and creative baseball moves get made that steer the team in a positive direction and show some overall good strategy. That, and the team doesn't quit on us.

top6
08-22-2006, 12:53 AM
Well, one thing I will say about the 2006 Reds. I don't think any sports team has ever exceeded my expectations more - and, judging from the responses on this thread - the expectations of a lot of other posters were significantly exceeded as well.

top6
08-22-2006, 12:54 AM
LOL at how many posters thought Paul Wilson and David Williams were the key to the season! (I kid; I probably would have bet $50,000 on the Reds to lose 90 + games.)

Hollcat
08-22-2006, 01:33 AM
Strange in all those fantasies of how the Reds could contend no one mentioned that we do it by acquiring players that actually produce significant contributions such as Arroyo, Phillips, Hatteburg and Ross. It's like we as Reds fans didn't realize that it was even possible to get players that were not in the twilight of mediocre careers or coming off a year or more of medical re-hab.

REDREAD
08-22-2006, 03:15 AM
It's like we as Reds fans didn't realize that it was even possible to get players that were not in the twilight of mediocre careers or coming off a year or more of medical re-hab.

That's what DanO and John Allen do to you.. Kill all hope of improving and/or winning trades. :laugh:

wheels
08-22-2006, 08:48 AM
I had actually forgotten that Womack played for the Reds earlier in the year.

It's like I had some kinda cover memory.

It makes sense, because when I think of Dan O'Brien, I see mental images snuggly bunnies.

Same thing probably happened with Womack.

......It might explain the tap dancing squirrels.