PDA

View Full Version : If Dan O'Brien Is Fired By New Ownership

Krusty
01-11-2006, 12:13 AM
If Dan O'Brien is fired by new ownership once they take control January 19, which available GM would you like to see calling the baseball shots for the Reds?

KronoRed
01-11-2006, 12:18 AM
This late in the game I'd promote someone from within and spend the year finding the best guy.

Kullman/Maddox I guess.

Jpup
01-11-2006, 03:07 AM
Paul DePodesta.

knuckler
01-11-2006, 08:58 AM
Whether it should be or not, I'd put my money on Castellini hiring Lou Piniella for the GM job.

wheels
01-11-2006, 09:01 AM
I'd be fine with a season of Kullman/Maddox, but why not bring in a new regime at the beginning of what will be a lost season anyway?

I'd love to see Paul DePodesta, but the media's made him persona non grata numero uno, so Wayne Krivsky'd have to be their choice.

lollipopcurve
01-11-2006, 10:09 AM
I expect they'll hire someone with a baseball background as president, moving Allen over -- there are pretty strong rumors about Jerry/Jeremy Kapstein coming over from Boston. I think Castellini would leave it to that person to make recommendations about a new GM and maybe manager too.

Ravenlord
01-11-2006, 10:17 AM
Paul DePodesta.
he'd laugh his ass off as he hung up the phone though.:(

Krusty
01-11-2006, 10:40 AM
It makes me wonder why someone like the Red Sox's Jeremy Kapstein couldn't serve both the President and GM roles for the Reds. Howsam did it when he was running the Reds. If you read the following article, this guy is highly thought of:

http://www.projo.com/redsox/content/projo_20051129_29rencol.8cab446.html

Mainspark
01-11-2006, 09:16 PM
Howsam did take on both GM and team president duties, but he did have a high-ranking hatchet man in Dick Wagner to perform any really unpleasant tasks.

pedro
01-11-2006, 09:23 PM
Whether it should be or not, I'd put my money on Castellini hiring Lou Piniella for the GM job.

I have that feeling too.

Falls City Beer
01-11-2006, 09:25 PM
he'd laugh his ass off as he hung up the phone though.:(

I don't know about that. A guy like Depodesta might be stoked by the challenge. He strikes me as a persistent and risk-taking sort.

Reds4Life
01-11-2006, 09:52 PM
I don't know about that. A guy like Depodesta might be stoked by the challenge. He strikes me as a persistent and risk-taking sort.

The new ownership group strikes me as very old school when it comes to baseball theory, I’m not sure they’d go for a guy like DePo. At this point though I think a warm bottle of spit would be a better GM than the guy who presently fills that seat.

Heath
01-11-2006, 10:39 PM
I'd vote for Raisor as new GM.

That might wake him up...... :thumbup:

This whole thread is based on one two-letter word - "if"

I'd hire Warren Giles. But he's like 130 and dead.

IslandRed
01-11-2006, 10:50 PM
The new ownership group strikes me as very old school when it comes to baseball theory, I’m not sure they’d go for a guy like DePo. At this point though I think a warm bottle of spit would be a better GM than the guy who presently fills that seat.

Depends. Someone -- M2, I think -- wrote that the Cardinals front office soaked up the lessons in "Moneyball." But it's stayed under the radar because there was no regime change associated with it.

Now, I have no idea whether or not minority owners, as Castellini was, are privy to the latest front-office philosophical discussions. And what an organization does is not as important as how well it does it. Old school, new school... just give me a good school.

TheBigLebowski
01-11-2006, 11:13 PM
Theo Epstein

KronoRed
01-11-2006, 11:53 PM
Theo Epstein
We have a better shot at Depo.

Krusty
01-12-2006, 12:46 AM
We have a better shot at Depo.
Problem with him out in LA was a communication problem within the front office among staff. He was more into statistics then the makeup (team chemistry) of the club.

I would be very surprise to see him as a GM again.

schroomytunes
01-12-2006, 01:22 AM
i like krivsky,the twins like the reds are small market, and they seem to have figured out how to win. so why not bring some of that energy here.

SirFelixCat
01-12-2006, 02:57 AM
i like krivsky,the twins like the reds are small market, and they seem to have figured out how to win. so why not bring some of that energy here.

All that I read about him back in late summer last year was all good. I'd like to see him running the Reds as well...the question would be would he even be interested?

KronoRed
01-12-2006, 03:28 AM
He was Allen's choice, if Allen goes..will they even consider him?

Raisor
01-12-2006, 05:45 AM
Problem with him out in LA was a communication problem within the front office among staff. He was more into statistics then the makeup (team chemistry) of the club.

I wouldn't. He'll get another shot.

RFS62
01-12-2006, 07:41 AM

I think the problem was that he underestimated the political environment of the Dodgers organization. There was an organized resistance from day one, and he let it fester instead of cutting off its head.

In the end, he lost his instead.

pedro
01-12-2006, 02:00 PM

he'll get another shot.

WebScorpion
01-13-2006, 11:06 AM
Somewhere there is an inventive unknown assistant GM out there who hasn't been considered. I'd hire him...I'm just not sure how I'd locate him. :D