PDA

View Full Version : Contractor to fix GABP's faulty seats

savafan
01-12-2006, 11:42 AM
http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060112/SPT04/601120308/1071

By Kimball Perry
Enquirer staff writer

Three months before Opening Day, officials are scrambling to make sure that fans who sit down in Great American Ball Park to watch the Reds this spring don't land on their fannies - on the ground.

"There are problems with the seats and we're working to get them fixed by Opening Day," Hamilton County Commissioner Pat DeWine said Wednesday.

Brackets that attach the seat pan - the seat bottom - to the rest of the seat have failed and caused a few minor injuries.

County commissioners approved an agreement Wednesday - signed Dec. 21 by Hussey Seating of Maine - for the company to replace "not less than 20,000" seat pans at the ballpark before March 20 - two weeks before the April 3 Opening Day.

"They will replace 20,000 seat pans this year and probably all of them over time," Eric Stuckey, assistant county administrator, said Wednesday.

This isn't the first time Hussey, which installed the ballpark's 42,059 seats, has had to repair seats at Great American.

After its first season, most of the seats were repaired after about 200 broke and two people reported minor injuries. Hussey replaced the brackets on about 39,000 seats at its own expense.

"They've done different work each year on different (seat) problems," Stuckey said. "We think total replacement of the seat pan is the better long-term solution."

Hamilton County owns the $280 million ballpark, which opened in 2003, but leases it to the Reds.

Commissioners also agreed Wednesday to take any further seat disputes with Hussey to mediation.

The sides have agreed not to sue and instead would take any future disputes to nonbinding mediation. If that doesn't settle any disputes, the sides have agreed to use a binding resolution process.

"The bottom line is there should be no concern at all by the general public about the safety of the seats," Commissioner Todd Portune said.

Tim Pierce, Hussey operations manager, declined to comment Wednesday. He referred questions to Hussey's president and CEO, Tim Hussey, who didn't return calls.

Hussey's $3.4 million bid was the lowest in 2001 when it won the contract. That was less than the $4.1 million officials expected the seats to cost.

smith288
01-12-2006, 11:47 AM
Hussey's $3.4 million bid was the lowest in 2001 when it won the contract. That was less than the $4.1 million officials expected the seats to cost.

Would we do it any other way? Do it cheap, get what you pay for. Reds baseball, its FANNNNNNTastic!

Blimpie
01-12-2006, 11:53 AM
Now that I think about it...I have noticed a slight sublixation in my lower back every time I attend Reds home games in GABP. Class action lawsuit anybody? I believe that punititive damages would be in order due to an excessive amount of pain and suffering....

37red
01-12-2006, 01:05 PM
At no time was the public in danger, where have I heard that before. No one should be concerned just because the seats are prone to break, don't worry about it, keep your mind on the game. And just because some Hussey supplied them should they be responsible for spilled beer or the injuries that someone might suffer. Surely the tax payers should cover the bill for this problem, they sit down too hard and weigh too much. Hussey, hmmm, I think I've been warned out them in the past.

TOBTTReds
01-12-2006, 01:19 PM
i was there for the 5th game or so (Paul Bako triple where Grif ripped up his shoulder I believe) and the guy in front of me fell straight through his chair just like they said. 1st week in the park, unbelievable.

Unassisted
01-12-2006, 03:11 PM
As a taxpayer, I like the idea of government using the low bidder. As a former government employee who worked a few times with the low bidders, I hated it. There always seemed to be a catch when some company dramatically underbid the competition. Usually, the low bidder was in a big hurry to get the job done and cut corners for the sake of speed or cost. This appears to be another example of that. I wonder if the amount the county had to pay out to people who were hurt with the so-called "minor injuries" by the faulty seats is less than the amount that this bid saved on the project? :rolleyes:

NJReds
01-12-2006, 04:17 PM
I believe that punititive damages would be in order due to an excessive amount of pain and suffering....

Do you have to actually attend the game live to be part of the class action suit, because watching the games on TV are pretty painful, too.;)

Matt700wlw
01-12-2006, 05:53 PM
Is this where the Casey money goes?

wheels
01-12-2006, 05:57 PM
One good thing about the Reds being crappy is that there won't be as many people using those faulty seats.

KronoRed
01-12-2006, 09:36 PM
i was there for the 5th game or so (Paul Bako triple where Grif ripped up his shoulder I believe) and the guy in front of me fell straight through his chair just like they said. 1st week in the park, unbelievable.
Wonder why we hadn't heard about this before :eek:

37red
01-12-2006, 09:42 PM
To sell more tickets for the empty seats that need replacing. I don't know, but it is amazing that such a new stadium has the bottoms of seats falling through. I mean, down at the city park maybe, but in the new stadium.... ????

Cedric
01-12-2006, 11:42 PM
The worst organization in sports. Gotta love it.

savafan
01-13-2006, 03:28 AM
http://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/content/sports/reds/daily/0113redsstad.html?cxtype=rss&cxsvc=7&cxcat=29

By the Associated Press

CINCINNATI Nearly half the seats in Great American Ball Park about 20,000 are to be replaced by the start of baseball season because of safety concerns.

Brackets that attach the bottom part of the seats to the frame have failed and caused a few minor injuries, Hamilton County commissioners said. The county owns the $280 million ballpark, which opened in 2003, and leases it to the Reds.

Hussey Seating of North Berwick, Maine, will supply new seat pans, and the county will install them by the April 3 opener against the Chicago Cubs. The two sides have agreed to mediation to determine who will pay the replacement costs.

"They will replace 20,000 seat pans this year and probably all of them over time," Eric Stuckey, assistant county administrator, said Wednesday.

Hussey won the contract to install the ballpark's 42,059 seats in 2001 with a low bid of $3.4 million.

During the park's first season, about 200 seats (or the brackets holding the seats together) failed, and two people reported minor injuries, commissioners said.

Hussey agreed to replace the brackets on about 39,000 seats at its own expense then, Hussey spokesman Chris Robinson said Thursday.

The county asked for more repairs after the second season.

"They've done different work each year on different problems," Stuckey said. "We think total replacement of the seat pan is the better long-term solution."

After last season, Hussey offered to inspect all the seats and make appropriate repairs. Commissioners insisted on new seats, and Hussey agreed to supply them and resolve the disputed costs later.

"We feel that we've offered the right solution," Robinson said. "Our company has been in business since 1835, and we realize it's important how we deal with these issues."

Robinson said Hussey has installed seats in several major league sports stadiums, and called the problem at Great American Ball Park unusual.

KronoRed
01-13-2006, 04:06 AM
HALF!?!

**calculates the odds**

I've probably sat in one of those! I'M SUING ;)