PDA

View Full Version : More discipline for Freel

savafan
01-12-2006, 10:44 AM
http://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/content/sports/reds/daily/0112freel.html?cxtype=rss&cxsvc=7&cxcat=29

By Hal McCoy

Dayton Daily News

CINCINNATI | After Ryan Freel was arrested and charged with driving under the influence on Opening Day night April 4 in Northern Kentucky, the Cincinnati Reds required him to seek Employee Assistance Program help.

There is more of that ahead for the popular 30-year-old Reds infielder/outfielder, according to general manager Dan O'Brien.

Freel was arrested and charged with disorderly intoxication early Sunday morning by Tampa police outside a bar.

"Ryan will be back in the Employee Assistance Program and it will be on an expanded process," said O'Brien. "We have all the facts as we know them and we will let the legal process run its course."

Freel is expected to have a court appearance late this week or early next week.

Freel was attending a bachelor party for a friend at The Rack, a bar in Tampa, when problems erupted. Tampa police were flagged down outside the establishment by the bar's security people.

Police said security said Freel was yelling obscenities outside the bar, causing patrons to leave. Authorities said Freel was concerned that one of his two companions might be arrested and was shouting obscenities and telling one companion to shut up.

Police asked Freel to explain what was happening and he said he didn't want his friend to go to jail. Police said an officer began questioning Freel's unidentified friend and Freel continued to scream, "Just shut ... up or you'll go to jail," over and over.

Tampa police said Freel's eyes were red and glassy and they smelled alcohol. Officer Adonis Morejon said he asked Freel where he was staying and was told it was none of the officer's business and, "Our conversation is done," according to the police report.

Morejon said Freel was intoxicated to the point he was causing a disturbance and a disruption of The Rack's business.

Freel was handcuffed and taken to jail and Tampa police said he continued to yell obscenities while in the cruiser. Police said he refused a Breathalyzer test and told them he was unemployed.

Freel, who signed a two-year $3 million deal last month with the Reds, was arrested shortly after 3:30 a.m. and released at 11:30 a.m.

"It's very unfortunate, to say the least," said O'Brien.

Freel did not return several phone calls to his Jacksonville, Fla. home.

Blimpie
01-12-2006, 10:56 AM
Bachelor party, huh? Go figure. Wow..I didn't even know that Bret Boone was engaged.

Ranjo17
01-12-2006, 11:02 AM
2 incidents where he is out at 2:30 and 3:30 in the am? Show him the door DANO. Freel seems more interested in his dedication to :beerme: as opposed to taking care of himself and his career. No I am not a self-rightous bible thumper. Just a Reds fan tired of the antics of mediocre athletes

Ranjo17
01-12-2006, 11:05 AM
Have seen Mrs Freel before. I can assure you I would rather be home with her as opposed to drinkin with the boys.

westofyou
01-12-2006, 11:19 AM
2 incidents where he is out at 2:30 and 3:30 in the am?
The world is not 9-5 despite the illusion that it is.

Ravenlord
01-12-2006, 11:23 AM
from 2am to 330am i'm usually done with everything relavent to my job, so i'm usually doing research, reading, or writing.

from 9 to 5 i'm usually unconscious if i work that night.

years before i ever started working third shift, being awake and doing things at 330 in the morning felt so much more natural than doing them at 330 in the afternoon.

savafan
01-12-2006, 11:28 AM
years before i ever started working third shift, being awake and doing things at 330 in the morning felt so much more natural than doing them at 330 in the afternoon.

That's what I call the Piqua flu.

Ravenlord
01-12-2006, 11:31 AM
That's what I call the Piqua flu.
or at least being around you and my brother way too often during the formative years.;)

registerthis
01-12-2006, 11:31 AM
2 incidents where he is out at 2:30 and 3:30 in the am?

Good heavens, out at that ungodly hour. I'll bet he ventures outside without a hat as well.

Roy Tucker
01-12-2006, 11:36 AM
Police asked Freel to explain what was happening and he said he didn't want his friend to go to jail.

I made that mistake once. A friend was getting hauled out of a bar to jail and we grabbed him and told the Columbus cop "if you take him, you'll have to take us all". So he did.

Ranjo17
01-12-2006, 12:21 PM
Hey, I have no problem with Freel being out at 2:30 or 3:30. But drivng drunk with an open flask and being arrested for disturbing the public while intoxicated raises my eyebrow.

Team Clark
01-12-2006, 12:29 PM
I made that mistake once. A friend was getting hauled out of a bar to jail and we grabbed him and told the Columbus cop "if you take him, you'll have to take us all". So he did.

I would have paid good money to see that!!!!

M2
01-12-2006, 12:40 PM
Good heavens, out at that ungodly hour. I'll bet he ventures outside without a hat as well.

Brilliant line.

BTW, this sounds like a classic case of a cop who used a trumped up D'n'D to fix a situation a savvier officer would have diffused. Freel clearly should have zipped his yap sooner than he did, but busting a guy for yelling at his buddy is pretty bush.

lollipopcurve
01-12-2006, 01:08 PM
Freel -- supposedly yelling obscenities while in the cruiser and claiming to be unemployed.

Whaaat?

toledodan
01-12-2006, 01:20 PM
it makes you wonder if the problems he and jimenez had were his own doing.

Reds-aholic
01-12-2006, 01:35 PM
I also think he should be let go. BTW, I find when I am out at 2:30ish I am usually finding some kind of trouble.

savafan
01-12-2006, 01:58 PM
Did y'all miss the part where it said he was at a bachelor party for a friend?

pedro
01-12-2006, 02:26 PM
Man, there are some judgemental people around here.

Puffy
01-12-2006, 02:28 PM
Man, there are some judgemental people around here.

Same thing I was thinking.

Strikes Out Looking
01-12-2006, 02:39 PM
I'd keep him and play him everyday at 2b. I also would have kept Babe Ruth and Mickey Mantle.

Unassisted
01-12-2006, 02:41 PM
Games happen in the afternoon and evening, so baseball players have what is essentially a second shift job. It's not surprising to me that they keep late hours. I did too when I worked second shift.

westofyou
01-12-2006, 02:41 PM
BTW, I find when I am out at 2:30ish I am usually finding some kind of trouble.Is that a Pete Rose sound bite or what?:p:

scounts22
01-12-2006, 02:43 PM
Tampa police said Freel's eyes were red and glassy and they smelled alcohol.

I read this a little too fast...I thought it said his eyes smelled like alcohol.:D

Maybe I should go crack one open right now...:all_cohol

01-12-2006, 03:55 PM
Not everyone is on the same clock. I work 12 hour nigjt shifts 7 :00 to 7:00. It is about 4:00 PM here. I just got out of bed 30 minutes ago and I had 2 beers at 7:30 AM.

Lighten up, folks. He got drunk at a bachelor party. Who cares?

And it a little bit, I'm gonna venture outside for a run. And I'll wear no hat!

Matt700wlw
01-12-2006, 04:19 PM
I'm always up until 3 or 4am.

Not always OUT, but up! :D

smith288
01-12-2006, 04:40 PM
"Just shut ... up or you'll go to jail," over and over.

Ah yes... the "I love you man" syndrome. Nothing more annoying than that guy...which is why I stopped drinking.

M2
01-12-2006, 05:03 PM
Hey, it's always 3 a.m. somewhere.

goingpostal111
01-13-2006, 09:54 AM
Better yet, It's always 4:20 twice a day!

GP

jregensb
01-15-2006, 01:21 AM
Did y'all miss the part where it said he was at a bachelor party for a friend?

...at a bar called "The Rack".

Priceless.

Ah yes... the "I love you man" syndrome. Nothing more annoying than that guy...which is why I stopped drinking.

I love you man!