PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft

Benihana
01-12-2006, 02:56 PM
Can anyone with ESPN insider post the initial mock draft that was posted today? Anybody have any thoughts on who the Bengals will take?

I would like to see them figure out a way to draft Michael Huff, the safety from Texas, who will surely be gone by the 26th pick. Maybe package Webster and the 26th for a pick in the top 15? If not Huff, I would like to see a DT such as the one from Oregon. Thoughts?

Danny Serafini
01-12-2006, 03:15 PM
Like to see a DT as well, someone who can really stuff the run. Not sure Webster would have any trade value, he's damaged goods at this point.

WVRed
01-12-2006, 04:43 PM
Can anyone with ESPN insider post the initial mock draft that was posted today? Anybody have any thoughts on who the Bengals will take?

I would like to see them figure out a way to draft Michael Huff, the safety from Texas, who will surely be gone by the 26th pick. Maybe package Webster and the 26th for a pick in the top 15? If not Huff, I would like to see a DT such as the one from Oregon. Thoughts?

Ngata will be gone, although there is a chance Huff would be there.

I'm hoping for Huff, Darnell Bing, or a TE(this class has three who could make an impact)

Stewie
01-12-2006, 04:48 PM
1. Houston Texans (2-14): +Reggie Bush, RB, USC
2. New Orleans Saints (3-13): Matt Leinart, QB, USC
3. Tennessee Titans (4-12): D'Brickashaw Ferguson, OT, Virginia
4. New York Jets (4-12): +Vince Young, QB, Texas
5. Green Bay Packers (4-12): A.J. Hawk, OLB, Ohio State
6. x-Oakland Raiders (4-12): Demeco Ryans, OLB, Alabama
7. x-San Francisco 49ers (4-12): Jimmy Williams, DC, Virginia Tech
8. Buffalo Bills (5-11): +Haloti Ngata, NT, Oregon
9. Detroit Lions (5-11): Jay Cutler, QB, Vanderbilt
10. Arizona Cardinals (5-11): +Mario Williams, DE, N.C. State
11. St. Louis Rams (6-10): +Vernon Davis, TE, Maryland
12. Cleveland Browns (6-10): Mathias Kiwanuka, DE, Boston College
13. Baltimore Ravens (6-10): DeAngelo Williams, RB, Memphis
14. Philadelphia Eagles (6-10): +Santonio Holmes, WR, Ohio State
15. Atlanta Falcons (8-8): Chad Greenway, OLB, Iowa
16. Miami Dolphins (9-7): Michael Huff, DB, Texas
17. Minnesota Vikings (9-7): +Laurence Maroney, RB, Minnesota
18. Dallas Cowboys (9-7): Derek Hagan, WR, Arizona State
19. San Diego Chargers (9-7): Marcus McNeill, OT, Auburn
20. Kansas City Chiefs (10-6): Orien Harris, DT, Miami-Fla.
21. *-New England Patriots (10-6): Paul Posluszny, OLB, Penn State
22. *-Denver Broncos (10-6): Tamba Hali, DE, Penn State
Pick acquired from Washington Redskins
23. *-Carolina Panthers (11-5): Claude Wroten, DT, LSU
24. *-Tampa Bay Buccaneers (11-5): +Gaines Adams, DE, Clemson
25. *-Chicago Bears (11-5): Marcedes Lewis, TE, UCLA
26. *-Cincinnati Bengals (11-5): Brodrick Bunkley, DT, Florida State
27. *-New York Giants (11-5): Sinorice Moss, WR, Miami-Fla.
28. *-Pittsburgh Steelers (11-5): +LenDale White, RB, USC
29. *-Jacksonville Jaguars (12-4): Elvis Dumervil, DE, Louisville
30. *-Seattle Seahawks (13-3): Thomas Howard, OLB, UTEP
31. *-Denver Broncos (13-3): +Leonard Pope, TE, Georgia
32. *-Indianapolis Colts (14-2): Eric Winston, OT, Miami-Fla.

redsfan30
01-12-2006, 04:55 PM
Santonio Holmes to Philadelphia with the 14th pick would be an outstanding situation for both him and the team.

He's have a good chance at stepping in and starting right away and he would give Donavon McNabb the deep threat he needs now that Owens is gone. The Eagles really need a wide reciever to step up big for them and Holmes could do just that.

OnBaseMachine
01-12-2006, 06:09 PM
Lendale White falling to 28? Riiiight.

ESPN radio reported last week that the Packers have said they will draft Lendale with the 5th pick. That would give USC three of the top five picks; has that happened before?

WVRed
01-12-2006, 06:17 PM

ESPN radio reported last week that the Packers have said they will draft Lendale with the 5th pick. That would give USC three of the top five picks; has that happened before?

That is a bit of a stretch IMO. Although given the moves the Packers have made lately, they could be headed down the same road as Cleveland.

AJ Hawk should be the Packers top priority.

Ravenlord
01-12-2006, 06:38 PM
AJ Hawk should be the Packers top priority.
i really hope he doesn't end up in Green Bay...i'd much prefer Chicago over the land of cheese.

pedro
01-12-2006, 06:41 PM
I don't think the Titans will pass on Vince Young if he's still on the board when they pick. I don't think Mcnair will play more than a couple of more years, if that.

Caveat Emperor
01-12-2006, 06:51 PM

He's *EXACTLY* the player that Pittsburgh needs this offseason. The Steelers just aren't as effective at wearing defenses down with a speed back like Willie Parer as they are/were with their bruiser Jerome Bettis.

LenDale White would be the perfect "heir apparent" to the Bus in Pittsburgh. But, I highly doubt he'll fall that far. He won't fall beyond Arizona at 10.

I also disagree with Jay Cutler going to Detroit with the 9th pick. Millen has to be feeling the heat, and I just don't see him drafting a player that won't immediately help the team -- which Cutler won't. Though, I'd laugh my posterior off on draft day if Millen took Santonio Holmes, another wideout, gave the finger to the camera, and then resigned from the team.

I'm also hoping that Marcus McNeil falls to Tampa @ 24, but that seems less likely every day.

OnBaseMachine
01-12-2006, 07:08 PM
I don't think the Titans will pass on Vince Young if he's still on the board when they pick. I don't think Mcnair will play more than a couple of more years, if that.

Matt Leinart would be a better fit with the Titans as he would be reunited with his former OC, Norm Chow. But unfortunately for Matt, the Saints will probably grab him with the second pick.

pedro
01-12-2006, 07:22 PM
Matt Leinart would be a better fit with the Titans as he would be reunited with his former OC, Norm Chow. But unfortunately for Matt, the Saints will probably grab him with the second pick.

Good point.

I just think it's time for the Titans to get a new QB, or to at least start thinking about it. I really like McNair, but he's been so banged up I just don't see him playing that much longer.

Caveat Emperor
01-12-2006, 07:41 PM
Good point.

I just think it's time for the Titans to get a new QB, or to at least start thinking about it. I really like McNair, but he's been so banged up I just don't see him playing that much longer.

To draft a QB in the 1st round, I think you have to be absolutely confident in his abilities to lead your franchise. Few things set a franchise back quite like pulling an ol "swing and a miss" on a quarterback in the draft. Frankly, I'm not sold on Young as a "can't miss" guy right now.

There's some decent depth at the quarterback position in this draft, and a smart team can probably get a kid like an Omar Jacobs or a Brody Croyle in the later rounds who can be groomed as a QB for a few games while an impact player is taken in the first round.

pedro
01-12-2006, 07:50 PM
To draft a QB in the 1st round, I think you have to be absolutely confident in his abilities to lead your franchise. Few things set a franchise back quite like pulling an ol "swing and a miss" on a quarterback in the draft. Frankly, I'm not sold on Young as a "can't miss" guy right now.

There's some decent depth at the quarterback position in this draft, and a smart team can probably get a kid like an Omar Jacobs or a Brody Croyle in the later rounds who can be groomed as a QB for a few games while an impact player is taken in the first round.

As a Bengals fan I am acutely aware of this fact. That's for sure.

Oxilon
01-12-2006, 07:51 PM
As far as the Bengals go, I really hope they don't opt for a DT in the first round. DTs have become more bust rather boom than QBs have lately, and are very hard to scout. With our issues at safety, I wouldn't mind drafting Bing or Huff. DT sounds a lot better in the 2nd round, especially considering our success as of late in the 2nd round.

StillFunkyB
01-12-2006, 10:45 PM
As far as the Bengals go, I really hope they don't opt for a DT in the first round. DTs have become more bust rather boom than QBs have lately, and are very hard to scout. With our issues at safety, I wouldn't mind drafting Bing or Huff. DT sounds a lot better in the 2nd round, especially considering our success as of late in the 2nd round.

I was thinking the same thing, Huff.

Sabo Fan
01-13-2006, 02:02 AM
Man that's an ugly looking mock draft. For starters, Posluszny is staying at PSU for another year. Secondly, there is no way on God's green earth that the Vikings would take Maroney over LenDale White and if they do then I've lost all hope for my team. Third, Tennessee would be nuts to pass on Young. McNair is his mentor and there's no better situation for him that to go to the Titans. Chow and Leinart may be buddies, but I think they'd rather have Young. Finally, I seriously doubt Baltimore would take another RB that early what with early indications being that they want to keep Jamal Lewis around as well as the presence of Chester Taylor, a guy who I like a whole lot. D'Angelo Williams is a nice talent, but that pick wouldn't make a lot of sense to me.

KronoRed
01-13-2006, 03:09 AM
McNair to Young is a match made in heaven, I remember when McNair came to the NFL, most didn't think he'd have much success.

I think the Lions would be foolish to take Cutler when they have so many more problems.

Jpup
01-13-2006, 04:58 AM
As a Titans fanatic, I say that Vince Young will be a Titan on draft day. The only way that the Titans take Ferguson is if Young goes to the Texans at 1 or the Saints at 2. Folks in Nashville are also drooling over AJ Hawk. Tennessee will not draft Matt Leinart at 3 if he fall to them. If for some odd reason Reggie Bush falls to them, I don't think they would pass him up, but I don't see that happenning. I actually expect the Titans to trade down and select a linebacker or offensive lineman.

Basically, if they can't get Vince Young, they will trade the pick if it isn't Reggie Bush at 3. IMO, Ferguson would be the best choice.

WVRed
01-13-2006, 06:22 AM
As a Titans fanatic, I say that Vince Young will be a Titan on draft day. The only way that the Titans take Ferguson is if Young goes to the Texans at 1 or the Saints at 2. Folks in Nashville are also drooling over AJ Hawk. Tennessee will not draft Matt Leinart at 3 if he fall to them. If for some odd reason Reggie Bush falls to them, I don't think they would pass him up, but I don't see that happenning. I actually expect the Titans to trade down and select a linebacker or offensive lineman.

Basically, if they can't get Vince Young, they will trade the pick if it isn't Reggie Bush at 3. IMO, Ferguson would be the best choice.

How much you want to bet that they dont take Matt Leinart if for some reason he isnt there at 3?

NJReds
01-13-2006, 09:10 AM
I don't think the Jets can take a QB...a good chunk of their cap space is already occupied by Pennington.

Jpup
01-13-2006, 02:40 PM
How much you want to bet that they dont take Matt Leinart if for some reason he isnt there at 3?

what?:confused:

Caveat Emperor
01-13-2006, 02:43 PM

D'Brickashaw Ferguson should be the #2 pick in the draft. He's an absolute stud of a lineman and someone who could anchor an offensive line for a decade on a team.

While getting your "franchise quarterback" seems to be all the vogue in drafts, building a solid young offensive line is the quickest way to build a team into a long-term contender, IMO. Just ask Pittsburgh and Denver.

Jaycint
01-13-2006, 04:03 PM
D'Brickashaw Ferguson should be the #2 pick in the draft. He's an absolute stud of a lineman and someone who could anchor an offensive line for a decade on a team.

While getting your "franchise quarterback" seems to be all the vogue in drafts, building a solid young offensive line is the quickest way to build a team into a long-term contender, IMO. Just ask Pittsburgh and Denver.

I agree Caveat, if the Texans could swing it they probably would be better off trading down a spot or three in the draft and taking Ferguson. To me the jury is still way out on Carr. I think when he isn't on his back looking at the roof of Reliant Stadium he can be a really good quarterback. Get Ferguson in there to help protect him and no telling how effective he could be.

Reggie Bush is a true stud but the Texans already have a top 10 all around running back in my opinion with Domanick Davis. Is Bush better than Davis? Sure, I think in the long run he will be. Does Bush do more in 2006 to turn around the Texans than Ferguson could? I doubt it.

WVRed
01-13-2006, 04:07 PM
what?:confused:

Tennessee will not draft Matt Leinart at 3 if he fall to them.

Norm Chow is the offensive cooridnator for the Titans. If for some reason the Saints or Texans took Vince Young, I would think the Titans would absolotely jump at the chance for Matt Leinart.

Sean_CaseyRules
01-14-2006, 03:20 AM
9. Detroit Lions (5-11): Jay Cutler, QB, Vanderbilt

16. Miami Dolphins (9-7): Michael Huff, DB, Texas

This is the only ones i disagree about, I really believe that the Phins will get Cutler.

blumj
01-16-2006, 10:32 AM
I don't know if the Saints really intend to draft Leinart, but I'm guessing he doesn't really intend to play for them.

marcshoe
01-16-2006, 10:38 AM
Nothing against taking a good TE, but the Rams are desperately trying to get more definsively-minded, will be looking that direction when they hire a new coach, and will likely take a defensive player in the first round.

ochre
01-16-2006, 11:13 AM
McNair to Young is a match made in heaven, I remember when McNair came to the NFL, most didn't think he'd have much success.

I think the Lions would be foolish to take Cutler when they have so many more problems.
The Lions will probably take a WR. Its worked so far, why stop now :).

KronoRed
01-16-2006, 11:41 AM
Maybe if some of those WR could throw, defend, block ext ;)

gitrdunn44
01-17-2006, 07:30 PM
Jay Cutler? I highly doubt he goes in the top 10.

Caveat Emperor
01-17-2006, 08:20 PM
I don't know if the Saints really intend to draft Leinart, but I'm guessing he doesn't really intend to play for them.

I'd guess if ANOTHER draft prospect tries to pull this "I'm picking my team," the NFL will intervene and make that go away quickly. It does them little good to have a trend started of the best players refusing to play for the worst teams because, in all honesty, that's only the way that bad teams get better...and teams going from bad to good is what the NFL loves to sell the league on.

All things considered, the Saints aren't a bad fit for Leinart either -- they've got some great offensive talent with McAllister, Horn, Stallworth, et. al. It's not a bad thing for a young QB to fall into.

WVRed
01-17-2006, 08:42 PM
I'd guess if ANOTHER draft prospect tries to pull this "I'm picking my team," the NFL will intervene and make that go away quickly. It does them little good to have a trend started of the best players refusing to play for the worst teams because, in all honesty, that's only the way that bad teams get better...and teams going from bad to good is what the NFL loves to sell the league on.

All things considered, the Saints aren't a bad fit for Leinart either -- they've got some great offensive talent with McAllister, Horn, Stallworth, et. al. It's not a bad thing for a young QB to fall into.

I'd like to see the Saints take Vince Young over Leinart, he is a better fit there IMO.

Stewie
01-17-2006, 09:37 PM
FWIW, that mock from Scouts that I posted earlier was actually created on January 3rd, before the bowls were even finished and a lot of juniors formally declared (or in the case of Posluszny, decided to go back to school). This is the one that Mel Kiper cranked out today, makes a little more sense than the scouts one. Although, he still has the Eagles taking Santonio Holmes. I'd be surprised if the Eagles actually went that route. They have not been very good at all at developing WRs in the Andy Reid ear (see Mitchell, Freddie), and I'd be surprised if they go that route in the first round (although I do think Holmes is better than FredEx). I wouldn't mind if they took Huff, since Dawkins and Lewis both only have a year left on their deals. I'd also love LenDale White, and think he would complement Westbrook, but I seriously doubt they would take him.

1. Houston -- *Reggie Bush, RB, USC
2. New Orleans -- Matt Leinart, QB, USC
3. Tennessee -- *Vince Young, QB, Texas
4. New York Jets -- D'Brickashaw Ferguson, OT, Virginia
5. Green Bay -- *Mario Williams, DE, NC State
6. Oakland -- A.J. Hawk, LB, Ohio State
7. San Francisco -- DeMeco Ryans, LB, Alabama
8. Buffalo -- *Haloti Ngata, DT, Oregon
9. Detroit -- Jay Cutler, QB, Vanderbilt
10. Arizona -- DeAngelo Williams, RB, Memphis
11. St. Louis -- *Vernon Davis, TE, Maryland
12. Cleveland -- Chad Greenway, LB, Iowa
13. Baltimore -- Tamba Hali, DE, Penn State
14. Philadelphia -- *Santonio Holmes, WR, Ohio State
15. Atlanta -- Michael Huff, DB, Texas
16. Miami -- *Winston Justice, OT, USC
17. Minnesota -- *LenDale White, RB, USC
18. Dallas -- Jimmy Williams, DB, Virginia Tech
19. San Diego -- *Ko Simpson, DB, South Carolina
20. Kansas City -- *Ashton Youboty, CB, Ohio State
21. New England -- Bobby Carpenter, LB, Ohio State
22. Denver (from Wash.) -- Mathias Kiwanuka, DE, Boston College
23. Tampa Bay -- Derek Hagan, WR, Arizona State
24. Cincinnati -- Claude Wroten, DT, LSU
25. New York Giants -- *Ernie Sims, LB, Florida State
26. Chicago -- *Leonard Pope, TE, Georgia
27. Carolina -- *Anthony Fasano, TE, Notre Dame
28. Pittsburgh -- *Antonio Cromartie, CB, Florida State
29. Jacksonville -- Thomas Howard, LB, UTEP
30. Indianapolis -- *Laurence Maroney, RB, Minnesota
31. Denver -- *Darnell Bing, DB, USC
32. Seattle -- *Chad Jackson, WR, Florida

KronoRed
01-17-2006, 09:41 PM
Jay Cutler? I highly doubt he goes in the top 10.
2nd best drop back passer in the draft.

WVRed
01-17-2006, 10:03 PM
24. Cincinnati -- Claude Wroten, DT, LSU

Stay away, stay very far away.

Sabo Fan
01-18-2006, 08:22 AM
I like Kiper's mock a lot better. I'm all for LenDale White at #17, though if Greenway fell I wouldn't be at all opposed to the Vikings taking him.

By the way, anyone know why Kiwanuka has fallen to the end of the first round? Guy was being touted as Top-10 not too long ago. I haven't looked up his numbers but maybe he had a bad year.

Anyone else have concerns about Bobby Carpenter being able to succeed without Hawk other than me? Though they aren't in the same league talent-wise, Hawk-Carpenter reminds me of Julius Peppers-Ryan Sims at NC a few years back. Peppers drew all the attention and Sims cleaned up numbers wise and got himself drafted in the middle of the first round. He struggled big time early on with KC and seems to have made himself useful, but no where close to what he should be considering where he was drafted. Seems to me that Hawk could have had the same effect on Carpenter. I think Carpenter can be a solid linebacker in the NFL, but I don't know about taking him that high, though NE would seem to be a good fit for him.

ochre
01-18-2006, 10:27 AM
I like Kiper's mock a lot better. I'm all for LenDale White at #17, though if Greenway fell I wouldn't be at all opposed to the Vikings taking him.

By the way, anyone know why Kiwanuka has fallen to the end of the first round? Guy was being touted as Top-10 not too long ago. I haven't looked up his numbers but maybe he had a bad year.

Anyone else have concerns about Bobby Carpenter being able to succeed without Hawk other than me? Though they aren't in the same league talent-wise, Hawk-Carpenter reminds me of Julius Peppers-Ryan Sims at NC a few years back. Peppers drew all the attention and Sims cleaned up numbers wise and got himself drafted in the middle of the first round. He struggled big time early on with KC and seems to have made himself useful, but no where close to what he should be considering where he was drafted. Seems to me that Hawk could have had the same effect on Carpenter. I think Carpenter can be a solid linebacker in the NFL, but I don't know about taking him that high, though NE would seem to be a good fit for him.
Carpenter is a monster. I'm not worried about his pro potential at all.

Caveat Emperor
01-18-2006, 12:23 PM
Carpenter is a monster. I'm not worried about his pro potential at all.

I've actually been hoping that Carpenter falls to Tampa Bay at #23, which would allow the Bucs to start a LB corp of Derrick Brooks, Shelton Quarles, and Bobby Carpenter. I'm close to drooling just thinking about it.

I think Hawk is amazing, but he gets so much press that I think people really sleep on Carpenter. He has all the physical tools and mental skills to be a beast in the NFL.

I just hope Gruden understands that the defense is what drives the team and gives Monte a new piece to insert (and hopefully start a youth movement on "D"). The last thing the Bucs need is another wideout.

Puffy
01-18-2006, 12:35 PM
I don't like Kiper's draft at all!

The five guys I want are Demeco Ryans, Carpenter, Huff, Wooten or Youbouty. In this mock all five are gone by the time the G-Men pick at 25.

LincolnparkRed
01-18-2006, 12:53 PM
I am not that sold on Youboty. He kinda reminds me of Nate Clement. They look really good most of the time but I wouldn't trust either one to lock their guy down at the end of a game.

Benihana
01-18-2006, 01:51 PM
If Huff is still available at 15 I hope the Bengals could swing a deal to grab him. Maybe offer up the 24th pick and a 3rd rounder, or the 24th and a 2nd rounder in 2007. Get a DT or a TE (whichever best is available) in the 2nd round and pursue the other in Free Agency. Seems like there are always solid DTs available in Free Agency. Man would I love to see Huff in stripes!

If we could get Marcedes Lewis in the 2nd round after nabbing Huff in the first, now THAT would be a draft!

The good thing is the Bengals have a long history of getting great value in the 2nd round, just look at some of these names:

Carl Pickens
Tony McGee
Darnay Scott
Corey Dillon
Chad Johnson
Eric Steinbach
Madieu Williams
Odell Thurman

WVRed
01-18-2006, 04:16 PM
Problem is, I dont see Marcedes Lewis making it out of the first round. There is a possibility that Lewis, Davis, and Pope all three are drafted first round.

Puffy
01-18-2006, 04:24 PM
Problem is, I dont see Marcedes Lewis making it out of the first round. There is a possibility that Lewis, Davis, and Pope all three are drafted first round.

Don't forget Fasano of Notre Dame. Kiper has him in the first round.

Either way, one or two of the 4 will surely fall - I can't see more than 2 TE's going in the first round. 3 tops.